The C-Verse Re/Render Project: Episode IV: A New Hope

I've been doing a lot of rendering for upcoming mods and projects, but had some time to do two more C-Verse workers.

IcuBp4m.jpg

Eva Berlin

that's so weird, I am literally editing Eva Berlin right now and genuinely just thought to myself "she'll look so much better with Boxofwhisper's render"

Came on here to use the Total Extreme Maps thread and there she was lol

Just wanted to say thanks to all of the artists. Finally getting back into TEW since a little after the 2020 release, so I've spent the last week catching up on re-renders and feeling overwhelmed by the wealth of options and the progress everyone has made skillwise. Sincerely blown away, to be honest... And everyone making characters their own with quality renders is especially appreciated, because even when you have those tough decisions between re-renders, the ones who aren't blatantly [X] worker can be hugely useful as replacements for other workers. Sometimes so satisfyingly perfect, like... I might not even remember who a render was designed to represent, and then I put that picture on some other worker and it just clicks--both the worker and the picture resonate better with me.

Now I'm doing what I should've done in past games (what others have been doing for a long time:D), saving every good render and applying them where they're best suited for my taste. Still working through the CV and replacing renders, but it's already so much more interesting because of the massive amount of work put into this thread... Also, now I *finally* feel comfortable using generated workers, because whatever character the game rolls, there's probably a great render to use:) Much appreciated.

Bret Heartbreak

P517SU8.jpg

Case in point: your previous take on him is probably unbeatable for me, but I loved this, so it went to my free picture folder. Today it screamed out when I was looking for a Nighthawk replacement, so I threw some paint on him... Could've taken more time on that, but it feels like Nighthawk for my taste and I thank ya:)

Gonna post to the alt thread. Just sharing here for search/relevance purposes.

e0gRQHJ.jpg87lT3fL.jpgYPYIuHq.jpg

Anyway, thanks/keep it up/best wishes to all of you <3

EDIT:

[good things]

All great, but the redhead (render #4) especially needs a fun role to play in my CVerse. Great work:)

Gonna post to the alt thread. Just sharing here for search/relevance purposes.

e0gRQHJ.jpg87lT3fL.jpgYPYIuHq.jpg

I absolutely love this! So much so Im going to use that render for Nighthawk myself!

So in that spirit I then needed a new Bret Heartbreak

plus some other random stuff Ive been working on

Bret Heartbreak

u2aAPZw.jpg

Bret Kyle & Taylor Norton (I love this hair, sue me)

BckZMPm.jpgWeniODf.jpg

Chip Martin

lyK60Vi.jpg

Iggy Riot

YUJYJJN.jpg

Thorsten Siggurdsson

Vcrit0C.jpg

Phil Vibert

FXQ0yuR.jpg

Free

QCpE2mb.jpgp43aEDS.jpg

ftXfxo5.pngEWnKbjE.png

sY9RUsM.jpgcDjAbYl.jpg

I absolutely love this! So much so Im going to use that render for Nighthawk myself!

Bret Heartbreak

u2aAPZw.jpg

BckZMPm.jpgWeniODf.jpg

Chip Martin

lyK60Vi.jpg

Iggy Riot

YUJYJJN.jpg

Thorsten Siggurdsson

Vcrit0C.jpg

Phil Vibert

FXQ0yuR.jpg

Free

QCpE2mb.jpgp43aEDS.jpg

ftXfxo5.pngEWnKbjE.png

sY9RUsM.jpgcDjAbYl.jpg

My man! Absolutely incredible! All of them are just fantastic! :)

Bret Heartbreak

u2aAPZw.jpg

BckZMPm.jpgWeniODf.jpg

Chip Martin

lyK60Vi.jpg

Iggy Riot

YUJYJJN.jpg

Thorsten Siggurdsson

Vcrit0C.jpg

Phil Vibert

FXQ0yuR.jpg

Free

QCpE2mb.jpgp43aEDS.jpg

ftXfxo5.pngEWnKbjE.png

sY9RUsM.jpgcDjAbYl.jpg

Great work man, The one on The bottom left just screams "Tommy Cornell's illegitimate child" to me

Bret Heartbreak

u2aAPZw.jpg

BckZMPm.jpgWeniODf.jpg

Chip Martin

lyK60Vi.jpg

Iggy Riot

YUJYJJN.jpg

Thorsten Siggurdsson

Vcrit0C.jpg

Phil Vibert

FXQ0yuR.jpg

Free

QCpE2mb.jpgp43aEDS.jpg

ftXfxo5.pngEWnKbjE.png

sY9RUsM.jpgcDjAbYl.jpg

Just continued excellence from this thread. Between Bison, SMW and London I am truly spoiled. Thank you all.

Decided to try learning DAZ for the millionth time and for the first time thrown together something vaguely resembling a human so figured I'd share. If anyone has any tips, guides or good camera/pose/lighting options please send me them.

Al4mtO0.pngpjobaji.png

YZwrctf.jpg

Decided to try learning DAZ for the millionth time and for the first time thrown together something vaguely resembling a human so figured I'd share. If anyone has any tips, guides or good camera/pose/lighting options please send me them.

Al4mtO0.pngpjobaji.png

YZwrctf.jpg

Invest a couple dollars in one of Elianeck's lighting packages. They are the best out there.

Look at photo references for expressions and tweak some of the stock expressions that you're using. Always remember to set your subdivision levels to at least 3 if you want a more realistic look. Finally, don't be afraid to try new things while you're learning. Develop your own style. Copying others at first is great but as you get more familiar with Daz, put your personality into your work.

Al4mtO0.pngpjobaji.png

YZwrctf.jpg

Nice render! I like her expression and body pose. DAZ is so fun. There's a little bit of a learning curve at first, but once you get past it, it's not difficult to use and you can really get creative.

Lighting is maybe the most important element for a good quality render. I have used this for every render I've made: https://www.deviantart.com/second-circle/art/SC-Free-HDRi-Lights-for-Daz-Studio-646475146. (Thanks to Blackman for introducing me to it). It's free, just one click to change, and does a pretty bang up job.

As for tips, If you decide to start purchasing things from the Daz store, different items go on sale daily, so if you have the patience, waiting a few days could save you significant money. Also do a quick search for Daz 3D coupon codes before you pay. Often you can save 20-30% more with a code.

When using the Daz store, take a good look at the pictures provided with the product so you can decide if it's of good quality and meshes with your models and renders. I've bought a few hair pieces before that were lower quality than I thought and didn't look great in use.

A couple of other pointers that tripped me up when I was learning the ropes...

-If you use dForce hair or clothing (objects that move with animation, I think), watch a video on how to use them (they have to be simulated). It took me forever to figure this out.

-Clothing doesn't matter so much (IMO, I don't buy a lot of clothing since I render mainly faces), but hair from older versions (Genesis 2 or 3) often doesn't look good with the newer models (8.1).

-When you're working with makeup or face paint, the undo button is your friend. If you don't like something you choose, undo it instead of just loading another one. Sometimes they load on top of each other and make a big mess and then you have to reload the base skin and start over.

-Maybe watch a tutorial on installing the objects that you download / purchase. Anything from Daz3D usually goes into your library automatically but third party sources can be a little confusing. This took me a while to figure out.

-When you finish a render, get the .png, and put it on the 150x150 back ground, Gimp does this in the highest quality. Some of the online websites I've found reduce the quality too much for my liking.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a private message. In the past few months I've learned the program pretty well (at least for creating characters from the shoulders up) and I'd be glad to try and help you. Best of luck rendering!

Al4mtO0.pngpjobaji.png

YZwrctf.jpg

I just wanna say that this looks really, really good. :)

Like, if this your first attempt, I can't wait to see what you produce in the future. :)

Invest a couple dollars in one of Elianeck's lighting packages. They are the best out there.

Look at photo references for expressions and tweak some of the stock expressions that you're using. Always remember to set your subdivision levels to at least 3 if you want a more realistic look. Finally, don't be afraid to try new things while you're learning. Develop your own style. Copying others at first is great but as you get more familiar with Daz, put your personality into your work.

Nice render! I like her expression and body pose. DAZ is so fun. There's a little bit of a learning curve at first, but once you get past it, it's not difficult to use and you can really get creative.

Lighting is maybe the most important element for a good quality render. I have used this for every render I've made: https://www.deviantart.com/second-circle/art/SC-Free-HDRi-Lights-for-Daz-Studio-646475146. (Thanks to Blackman for introducing me to it). It's free, just one click to change, and does a pretty bang up job.

As for tips, If you decide to start purchasing things from the Daz store, different items go on sale daily, so if you have the patience, waiting a few days could save you significant money. Also do a quick search for Daz 3D coupon codes before you pay. Often you can save 20-30% more with a code.

When using the Daz store, take a good look at the pictures provided with the product so you can decide if it's of good quality and meshes with your models and renders. I've bought a few hair pieces before that were lower quality than I thought and didn't look great in use.

A couple of other pointers that tripped me up when I was learning the ropes...

-If you use dForce hair or clothing (objects that move with animation, I think), watch a video on how to use them (they have to be simulated). It took me forever to figure this out.

-Clothing doesn't matter so much (IMO, I don't buy a lot of clothing since I render mainly faces), but hair from older versions (Genesis 2 or 3) often doesn't look good with the newer models (8.1).

-When you're working with makeup or face paint, the undo button is your friend. If you don't like something you choose, undo it instead of just loading another one. Sometimes they load on top of each other and make a big mess and then you have to reload the base skin and start over.

-Maybe watch a tutorial on installing the objects that you download / purchase. Anything from Daz3D usually goes into your library automatically but third party sources can be a little confusing. This took me a while to figure out.

-When you finish a render, get the .png, and put it on the 150x150 back ground, Gimp does this in the highest quality. Some of the online websites I've found reduce the quality too much for my liking.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a private message. In the past few months I've learned the program pretty well (at least for creating characters from the shoulders up) and I'd be glad to try and help you. Best of luck rendering!

Thanks for your help folks. Sock I wouldn't say I'm desperately worried about realism, but I'm not sure what subdivision levels are or how to change them, can you elaborate please?

Thanks for the tips Box, I used the undo button an awful lot on this one, not quite mastered having one set of eyebrows that aren't the default ones yet though :p

Render 2 with Elianeck lighting and tried to tweak the stock expression and pose just a little.

QyIt7ND.jpg