Public Beta Reaction Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an entire editor for mods. Many mod makers have said making mods and general editing is a lot easier now after playing around with it.

With the exception of the UI (being worked on by devs and there are already some cracking skins in place) and the product customisation (I cant think of a historical or current promotion who's product wouldnt be covered in the current presets off the top of my head either to be honest), I dont know what they key big issues are, especially pertaining to "doesnt care about mod makers". This game goes far beyond a load of other games when it comes to data mods.

I was also one of the many disappointed with the original release and absolutely let my comments known particular in the discord, however I think the effort being put in on patches and the latest note about what they are looking to address is exceptional support.

I don’t care about the pre set products. If I wanted to do attitude era I don’t have to use the attitude product settings. It’s my own game. I could just edit it to be any product style I want and call it the attitude product. Job done. Don’t have to deal with product settings again. Which I never really bothered with in 2016.

Nope, fully on board with you mate. Couldnt be any more of a non-issue for me and how I play the game.

Im pretty sure also the reason Adam did it this way was partly because from looking at real world mods most people were using one of the presets in 2016 anyways.. very few people used a custom setup..

Honestly for me I didn't like the way products were done in 2016 with the max and min of everything etc it was for me over complicated and I know others who felt this way.

For me the preset products works

Well I was finally about to give this a real go and....

https://i.ibb.co/YD9CkC8/why.jpg

huh? what''s up with the colouring/borders/etc?

All i've done is download the game, the #10 patch, and a real world mod.. which isn't installed yet. I tried looking for skin switching to see if that would help, but I can't even find where to do that.

I had this issue when I tried scaling up my screen. Did you do anything like that?

This. You can't tell me there's not a tool that could be put out to enable us to edit & add our own products. Even if it was a "hey I can do this but I need to put a rough GUI on it for you guys - it'll take a month or two" that would be fine.

this is a completely ignorant take lol. you have no idea what went into the new product feature, it just may not be possible to create a product editor. if you really want custom products that bad, i suggest sticking with 2016.

I had this issue when I tried scaling up my screen. Did you do anything like that?

Thank you, good sir. My laptop screen was scaled to 150%. I just thought it was a 720p or 900p laptop, haha. I guess it's 1080p scaled to 150% by default. I turned it down to 100% and the game looks good.

Am I the only one who doesn't care about custom products, then...?

I´m actually surprised by the backlash for Products.

I did expect that the new system would annoy some players, but it seems to annoy much more people than I expected.

For me this is not a problem at all, actually, I think I prefer the new system, but I can only speak for myself.

Overall, I´m really enjoying the Demo so far and cannot wait for the retail to start a real save game.

Thank you, good sir. My laptop screen was scaled to 150%. I just thought it was a 720p or 900p laptop, haha. I guess it's 1080p scaled to 150% by default. I turned it down to 100% and the game looks good.

Were you just downloading it for the first time or was it broken by an update? I know some people have been able to make it work scaled up.

this is a completely ignorant take lol. you have no idea what went into the new product feature, it just may not be possible to create a product editor. if you really want custom products that bad, i suggest sticking with 2016.

Sigh. Why do we have to be mean to the person expressing an opinion we don't agree with?

We know there is some form of product editor, because Adam made the products in the first place, has edited them in the last week, and has stated he will add products going forward. Whatever method he is using to do that is a product editor.

The thing we don't know is whether that editor is currently nothing more than the VB6 developer interface or if he created some sort of tool to simplify the process for himself.

If the tool exists, it would be great if it could be included in the database editor.

I realize this is a beta, so it's still in pre-release form, but here are my initial impressions. Sorry if this stuff has all been addressed. I'm playing beta patch #9.

The good stuff:

Personalities and gimmicks no longer being tied to sliders is a big improvement, and should make modding far easier going forward. I like the attribute system in general and think it's a very cool way to give modders the freedom to attach a perk rather than assigning a retirement age. Gimmicks felt like they were moving towards redundancy, so I like the new system that focuses exclusively on gimmick types.

The events overhaul is great, as you can now realistically run a schedule other than a traditional modern weekly tv show format. You can run 80's WWF with 4-5 touring shows per week and a bi-weekly double-taping of Superstars and Challenge.

The fixes to contracts are great, and seem to bring things much closer to reality both in terms of numbers and the way merch and bonuses work, and seem to at least somewhat be thanks to the info that's publicly available on WCW and WWF's contracts thanks to their lawsuits.

The ugly:

The UI has been talked about, but it's rough. An 8x5 grid of buttons is difficult to navigate and generally a pain. Moving segments around in the booking view is a huge pain, especially because it *looks* like it should be drag & drop, but instead relies on arrows, which are smaller and more of a pain than TEW 2016's "move up" and "move down" buttons that were at least clear about what they were. Finding out who was managing whom was way harder than it used to be, and involved clicking on the character roles, and even then, it wouldn't tell me who the manager was managing unless I was on the wrestler's page.

The bad:

I don't expect a show to not have problems, but honestly, some of this stuff is so counter-intuitive that I wonder if it's not for the few dozen people who have "solved" TEW and just power-game it. For people who want to have a fun booking/promoting sim, I'm not sure it's very fun as-is.

I started a game as USPW, ran a show, and immediately ran into a hidden penalty about stories not moving forward enough (although I didn't get any warning), and had my show knocked to under 70. How is a new player or someone who is coming back to the series supposed to figure out what's going on?

I started an SWF save and my first show was built around a big tag match with Rocky Golden and Valiant against Scythe and Brandon James, it got an 81... and the show got a 68, because there weren't 5 storylines with 70 heat. SWF fell to medium size, entered a shocked state, and the broadcaster is unhappy.

This kind of penalty and this level of penalty on a first show, is, in a word, "dumb." "Hmm, Undertaker and Steve Austin wrestled Mankind and Kane, but the show was bad because other than the Austin/Vince story, and the Undertaker/Mankind/Kane story, and The Rock/Triple H midcard feud, there aren't two more midcard feuds, so the show should only get a 70.

You have to go to the to the options menu to find the button to turn strict storylines off, but what's especially annoying is SWF is failing this in the default state on day 1: why are we supposed to know about this if the game is starting in a fail state?

I also tried playing around with products and some of it is just strange. If you tried to put SWF to its "Attitude Era" product, it says the fans expect at least one match rated on eye-candy. This almost feels like a glitch, it's so strange. I guess it's to replace the ratio from TEW2016, but it doesn't make any sense.

I know a lot of these issues: storyline effects can be turned off, but this is just so frustrating as an experienced player, I can't imagine a new player running a show, spending 20+ minutes booking their dream show, and then get a hidden penalty that tanks the company immediately because WWF was failing a very arbitrary penalty on day one.

I´m actually surprised by the backlash for Products.

I did expect that the new system would annoy some players, but it seems to annoy much more people than I expected.

I thought it would be terrible, but after playing the game and seeing how unique it makes a lot of promotions, I think it's an overall positive for the game.

I could see how using the feature for modmakers would be a slight pain.

Sigh. Why do we have to be mean to the person expressing an opinion we don't agree with?

We know there is some form of product editor, because Adam made the products in the first place, has edited them in the last week, and has stated he will add products going forward. Whatever method he is using to do that is a product editor.

The thing we don't know is whether that editor is currently nothing more than the VB6 developer interface or if he created some sort of tool to simplify the process for himself.

If the tool exists, it would be great if it could be included in the database editor.

Thanks, that was my point, but with much more detail. Hell, I'd even be fine with him saying "I'm just using a developer interface. I can hack together a basic GUI over the next couple months" or hell, asking if any members of the community with coding skills can you know...help him with that.

The bad:

I don't expect a show to not have problems, but honestly, some of this stuff is so counter-intuitive that I wonder if it's not for the few dozen people who have "solved" TEW and just power-game it. For people who want to have a fun booking/promoting sim, I'm not sure it's very fun as-is.

I started a game as USPW, ran a show, and immediately ran into a hidden penalty about stories not moving forward enough (although I didn't get any warning), and had my show knocked to under 70. How is a new player or someone who is coming back to the series supposed to figure out what's going on?

I started an SWF save and my first show was built around a big tag match with Rocky Golden and Valiant against Scythe and Brandon James, it got an 81... and the show got a 68, because there weren't 5 storylines with 70 heat. SWF fell to medium size, entered a shocked state, and the broadcaster is unhappy.

This kind of penalty and this level of penalty on a first show, is, in a word, "dumb." "Hmm, Undertaker and Steve Austin wrestled Mankind and Kane, but the show was bad because other than the Austin/Vince story, and the Undertaker/Mankind/Kane story, and The Rock/Triple H midcard feud, there aren't two more midcard feuds, so the show should only get a 70.

You have to go to the to the options menu to find the button to turn strict storylines off, but what's especially annoying is SWF is failing this in the default state on day 1: why are we supposed to know about this if the game is starting in a fail state?

I know a lot of these issues: storyline effects can be turned off, but this is just so frustrating as an experienced player, I can't imagine a new player running a show, spending 20+ minutes booking their dream show, and then get a hidden penalty that tanks the company immediately because WWF was failing a very arbitrary penalty on day one.

I think the game is made for some of us who want these kinds of challenges but the great thing is you can turn all of those challenges off.

I look at it like this; just because a show gets a stiff penalty or low score doesn't mean it was a bad show. It could very well have been enjoyable for fans.

It could have just been those dam IWC wrestling nerds that can't get over the fact that you didn't progress that one midcard storyline of the one guy that they think should be a main event player (but surely has low SQ).

As for falling in size on day one, that's more of a solvable database issue than a game mechanics issue.

I agree with you on moving matches around when booking. They really should be drag and drop.

I realize this is a beta, so it's still in pre-release form, but here are my initial impressions. Sorry if this stuff has all been addressed. I'm playing beta patch #9.

The good stuff:

Personalities and gimmicks no longer being tied to sliders is a big improvement, and should make modding far easier going forward. I like the attribute system in general and think it's a very cool way to give modders the freedom to attach a perk rather than assigning a retirement age. Gimmicks felt like they were moving towards redundancy, so I like the new system that focuses exclusively on gimmick types.

The events overhaul is great, as you can now realistically run a schedule other than a traditional modern weekly tv show format. You can run 80's WWF with 4-5 touring shows per week and a bi-weekly double-taping of Superstars and Challenge.

The fixes to contracts are great, and seem to bring things much closer to reality both in terms of numbers and the way merch and bonuses work, and seem to at least somewhat be thanks to the info that's publicly available on WCW and WWF's contracts thanks to their lawsuits.

The ugly:

The UI has been talked about, but it's rough. An 8x5 grid of buttons is difficult to navigate and generally a pain. Moving segments around in the booking view is a huge pain, especially because it *looks* like it should be drag & drop, but instead relies on arrows, which are smaller and more of a pain than TEW 2016's "move up" and "move down" buttons that were at least clear about what they were. Finding out who was managing whom was way harder than it used to be, and involved clicking on the character roles, and even then, it wouldn't tell me who the manager was managing unless I was on the wrestler's page.

The bad:

I also tried playing around with products and some of it is just strange. If you tried to put SWF to its "Attitude Era" product, it says the fans expect at least one match rated on eye-candy. This almost feels like a glitch, it's so strange. I guess it's to replace the ratio from TEW2016, but it doesn't make any sense.

I agree with the majority of that post.

I disagree on the Gimmicks though, I much prefer the old way. The current way makes gimmicks feel far more redundant now and just an afterthought with no real story planning going on, from what ive found so far.

I also don't like how in the storylines the segment history isn't listed with the most recent first, it makes it a pain tracking whats going on with longer storylines.

theres more that's changed that I dislike than there is new additions I like, which is concerning. Thinks just seem too counter intuitive and its more difficult to find the required info, such as who managers are assigned to as you alluded to.

Im not saying I wont buy it, but it wasn't an immediate decision to do so, I had to have a few go's on the trial to convince myself to do so.

I disagree on the Gimmicks though, I much prefer the old way. The current way makes gimmicks feel far more redundant now and just an afterthought with no real story planning going on, from what ive found so far.

I also don't like how in the storylines the segment history isn't listed with the most recent first, it makes it a pain tracking whats going on with longer storylines.

theres more that's changed that I dislike than there is new additions I like, which is concerning. Thinks just seem too counter intuitive and its more difficult to find the required info, such as who managers are assigned to as you alluded to.

Im not saying I wont buy it, but it wasn't an immediate decision to do so, I had to have a few go's on the trial to convince myself to do so.

It's a pain to assign a manager to a wrestler but not to find out what wrestlers a person is managing, it tells you on each managers main screen when viewing your roster

I agree with so much of this.. I agree with Lazorbeak about everything but the gimmicks as well. For me it seems gimmicks can be harder, having to go through the editor to make them like they used to be or easy mode, just throw a name in the gimmick and push one of the Basis the worker can do. Honestly, I would have preferred the difference just being able to set a specific range for the skills needed for gimmicks instead of vague things like weak, strong, etc. It would help out tons with all skills being subjective.

Strongly dislike the new gimmick system, very glad I can still use the old gimmick system, unlike products.

I thought it would be terrible, but after playing the game and seeing how unique it makes a lot of promotions, I think it's an overall positive for the game.

I could see how using the feature for modmakers would be a slight pain.

It would be fine if I could use the editor and craft them from scratch, which is what I hope happens in the future. But not having any control, especially after having complete control, is a huge nerf.

At this point I hope somebody makes a TEW 2016 C-Verse 2020 mod. Because I kinda just want to go back to 2016.

After yesterday's patch notes where more comedy products were added to the search parameters, I had a feeling that the custom products issue was going to get an emphatically disappointing resolution sooner rather than later.

After reading the newest update post, I'm just so disappointed. I'm amazed that this decision was made in the first place. It's so ass-backwards and unrealistic. We're totally beholden product wise to only the existing products in the game, and in order to get new ones in we have to suggest them and wait for a patch while the developer decides if it's worth putting in.

Just totally and completely disappointing all around. All this system is going to create is some people finding one product that sort of works for them and then never playing anything but that product. Except now, it's not even perfect for them. It also hurts my mod-making specifically since I have been working on updating Crayon's OVER 9000 mod for like... five years, and let's just be honest most of those companies have really really weird and different products.

I honestly don't know if I'll be picking up 2020. This is that disappointing for me.

Yea, this is disappointing news to wake up to.

Templates must be very important and everything must work off them for it to take until 2021 to fix the problem. The fact that some said new ones can get added from suggestions make me wonder how hard it is to let the users add their own themselves though.

Still there's a lot of good additions and i want to support the work, i'm on the fence though because knowing i'm stuck w/ these templates is going to eat away at me every time i play. I was pretty happy with 16, so still have that version to play at least.

The good stuff:

Personalities and gimmicks no longer being tied to sliders is a big improvement, and should make modding far easier going forward.

This actually makes it WORSE for modders. Where you could just select a gimmick, now you have to type it in select it's basis, then select traits etc but ensure they match up to any gimmick style they may or may not be able to use... this is an absolute nightmare. It is by far the worst thing in the game - nothing else comes close. I knew it would be a nightmare the minute I read the journal entry, and having spent quite a bit of time in the editor, my fears were confirmed.

NWMS8EA.jpg