Is self-owned Internet PPV too powerful?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>This doesn't seem quite so bad for tiny companies.</p><p> </p><p>

I just tried it on a newly created promotion in Canada (medium-size iPPV) with weekly PPVs and had buy rates of:</p><p> </p><p>

11k</p><p>

8.6k</p><p>

7.3k</p><p>

6.5k</p><p>

7.4k</p><p>

3.6k</p><p>

2.9k</p><p>

2.8k</p><p>

3.6k</p><p>

3.5k</p><p>

2.8k</p><p>

2.9k</p><p> </p><p>

There seems to be a spike at the start of each month, but even that is moderated by having had several PPVs in the previous months.</p><p> </p><p>

I think it would be better if the PPV price was lower - the numbers would make more sense (in both comparison to real life and for game mechanic purposes) if people were only paying $10 per buy rather than $50. You could still get the exposure, but wouldn't be making a substantial profit in the meantime.</p>

In general wouldn’t it be better for PPV shows if there was a requirement that they needed other shows to build to them less they suffer a penalty to their buys? That would give incentive to not make everything a PPV just for money.

You can turn on Mandatory Pre-Booking, that´s kind of a build up for PPV´s, but I don´t know how big the effect is.

But the PPV buys in general are way too high, be it on self-owned broadcasters or regular broadcasters. Like way too high.

Selling 2-2,5 million PPVs with TCW at size 72 is ridiculous. 40-50k with CZCW is also too much. They need to be reduced by 80-90%.

(subscription seems also too high, but I haven´t test this enough)

2016 was much better in this. I hope Adam tweaks 2020 closer to 2016.

But I´m pretty sure he will give this a look once the retail drops.

It's not just the PPV buys, either. Attendance figures for pay-per-views seem waaaaaaaaaay to high as well. Medium sized companies should not be getting close to 30.000 people to their shows, in my opinion.

Pay-per-views are way too powerful, weekly shows don't see enough people. Contracts are way too cheap for most workers yet road agents (still, even after the supposed fix in one of the patches) command absolutely ludicrous amounts of money.

Overall, the financial side and the (more cosmetic) scaling of pay and attendance figures in the game are still a complete mess at this point.

I would also be thinking the same. It seems about right to me though. I would think that 30,000 something people buying an event from a small company would be expected. It really isn't a huge number. There are videos on YouTube that go viral and all the sudden have millions of views. One of my favorite video makers of all time (Steve Cash, RIP) made really awesome videos about a talking cat named Sylvester. He made over 60 videos total and had almost 800 million views for the videos. Unless you're a cat nerd like me you probably haven't heard of him, lol.

I dunno man, have you ever tried to run a company? Getting 30,000 people to pay money to watch your underground wrestling show is a massive amount, unless it literally did go viral. But going viral is something that usually happens randomly and is certainly not the norm. I agree that the viewer number seems waay too big. Especially if the company is relatively small, only the hardest of the hardcore would be buying that online, I'm talking somewhere around 500-1000 people if it is marketed well.

30k is most certainly a huge number in this context.

There's no way that many people are paying $50 a show (which seems to be the set price in TEW) for some dinky indie company's online PPV.

TNA wasn't pulling those numbers with some of the biggest names in wrestling at a fifth of the price.

30k is most certainly a huge number in this context.

There's no way that many people are paying $50 a show (which seems to be the set price in TEW) for some dinky indie company's online PPV.

TNA wasn't pulling those numbers with some of the biggest names in wrestling at a fifth of the price.

TNA is a very poor example at any point in their history. A better example would be RoH. They've basically never broken 2,000 fans no matter how hot they've been without NJPW talent there on Wrestlemania weekend. That's a 20-year-old company with a fanbase. lucky to half sell UMBC Arena. Wrestling on the low end is a very bleak affair, You usually need a gimmick or a hot WWE event to piggyback off to turn a profit these days. If the majority of indie companies break a 100 buys on FITE, I'd be stunned. The idea that a small-medium company is doing 10k buys on internet PPV is ridiculous, TNA's average buyrate was 6k buys at the end. For most you should see almost zero buys unless the event has name value.

It's not just the PPV buys, either. Attendance figures for pay-per-views seem waaaaaaaaaay to high as well. Medium sized companies should not be getting close to 30.000 people to their shows, in my opinion.

Yeah, I forgot that point.

Malice in Wonderland (TCW´s first PPV) gets 50k in attendance.

Seems too high for me. If it was Total Mayhem (Season Finale, Legendary), okay, but not the other PPVs.

Overall, the financial side and the (more cosmetic) scaling of pay and attendance figures in the game are still a complete mess at this point.

I´m pretty sure, Adam will work on this. (hopefully)

But this is more complex I think, because it´s not just changing one number. So it will take some time.

TNA is a very poor example at any point in their history. A better example would be RoH. They've basically never broken 2,000 fans no matter how hot they've been without NJPW talent there on Wrestlemania weekend. That's a 20-year-old company with a fanbase. lucky to half sell UMBC Arena. Wrestling on the low end is a very bleak affair, You usually need a gimmick or a hot WWE event to piggyback off to turn a profit these days. If the majority of indie companies break a 100 buys on FITE, I'd be stunned. The idea that a small-medium company is doing 10k buys on internet PPV is ridiculous, TNA's average buyrate was 6k buys at the end. For most you should see almost zero buys unless the event has name value.

I´m completely on your side here.

RoH´s last PPV had under 800 buys. Before that 3.000-4.000.

Same for bigger companys.

WWE had 1.2 million for Cena vs. The Rock, the biggest match in 10 years.

The other PPVs, not named Wrestlemania, usually had between 200k-500k buys. TCW and SWF sell over 2 million regurlarly.

As I said, the numbers need to be reduced drastically, by 80-90%.

Like 2016, which was much more realistic.

I´m pretty sure, Adam will work on this. (hopefully)

But this is more complex I think, because it´s not just changing one number. So it will take some time.

Yeah, it's going to be a difficult balance to get right - both worker costs and attendances/buys need to be adjusted significantly, but that will have a big impact on finances.

It's really something which needed to be sorted out in the year and a half of testing, not a couple of days out from release.

Sounding like a broken record here, but how did none of the testers bring that up? And if they did, why wasn't it fixed already? This essentially strips the game from one of its core components, which is the management part. Good for everyone who primarily wants to focus on booking, but as FINisher already said, that's the opposite from what Adam had in mind for the game afaik.

Unless he suprises with the all-night work, it looks like the game is going to be released quite broken, which I guess is a first for GDS.

As I said before, I was fine with some minor features in WMMA5, like the morale system - that was working just fine - being completely irrelevant. But here it would be a bitter pill to swallow. I mean: you have a bunch of features, that's great, but if there's no incentive - I can't stress this enough - people won't bother. They have no impact at all.

It's like a loot-shooter giving you epic items in a chest at the start of the game. You can pick up some items, but you won't bother to equip them as there's no point. Only a fool would ignore that chest to pick up strictly inferior items during the game. That's how iPPV feels right now.

Like FIN says, Adam even ranted in the player handbook about brain-dead gameplay, and now we get these messy finances. With the biggest companies you can immediately upgrade and buy everything within the timespan of the demo. I'm not kidding. You can make your own venue for every location in the game. Super performance center. Worldwide network. You can even steal your competitor's workers and send them all on vacation until they retire. Where's the endgame?