Who buy? Who not buying on release day?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At first I liked TEW 20 but after playing the game for a while I'm a no. I think at first I was looking at the new features the most and is probably why I felt that way. I have purchased every TEW game on release date but not this one.

I'm really disappointed with how the product selection is done. There is no way to customize it. All of the penalties I'm getting dinged for makes the game feel like a chore. TEW 16 was fun and previous versions were fun, TEW 20 is not so much fun.

The UI seems to be more trouble than its worth. The UI is also making the game feel like a chore. I have to spend way to much time clicking buttons and going from one screen to the next to find something. I've spent a lot of time trying to give this game a chance but it's just to disappointing. I feel it's a step backwards.

Unless the UI is massively improved and product customization is added then I'm a no but Adam has already said neither of these are happening so that brings me to a no.

There are also some other issues I'm not happy with but product limitation and UI are the big disappointments for me.

There are some great new features and wonderful ideas but I'm just not digging the limitations of TEW 20.

I'm going to hope that maybe a future TEW will be what TEW 2020 was hyped up to be. I'm also hoping that the game will be developed on something better than VB. It's time to look forward.

<p>I'm buying it, no doubt. Just like every other TEW (and WMMA) that came before.</p><p> </p><p>

Honestly, though, that is in large part due to loyalty, a willingness to keep supporting GDS to ensure further future releases and the firm belief (grounded in experience from years past) that Adam is going to do his absolute best to keep improving the game even after release.</p><p> </p><p>

As the beta is right now, the game is not really worth the price. At all. The user interface is just a horrible, horrible mess and makes this a worse experience to play than it's predecessors.</p><p>

The game mechanics are most certainly vastly improved both in obvious and less obvious ways, but that is small comfort when I have to keep cursing at my computer because I've moved the wrong segment up or down for the 43rd time due to the complete cluster-f that is the 2020 booking screen with it's inconveniently tiny arrow buttons and the baffling lack of features like "move to the top" or "move same segment again".</p><p> </p><p>

It's some small steps forward and a giant tumble backwards. But, oh well... who else is gonna take PGHW back to the top? My 35 bucks are ready to be spent...</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Novacain" data-cite="Novacain" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="49289" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I’m not sure that’s really accurate, I mean they were a super hardcore fed, but it’s a company that employee the New Wave, Eisaku Kunomasu and Art Reed, as well as had a Bryan Holmes world title reign. Pablo Rodriguez also worked there. DAVE was very much the closest product the C-Verse had to prime ECW as any fed ever got.<p> </p><p> If you are looking for pure deathmatchy style company, at least if we go by the 97 mod, it would actually be XFW that would be your fit. </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> In terms of original TEW and DAVE, that's absolutely accurate. DAVE was as close to ECW as they could come and the original product description for them in 2004 makes that pretty clear. XFW would be considered "Garbage".</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> <span>http://logan.rodzen.com/img/hardcore.jpg</span><span>http://greydogsoftware.com/forum/logan.rodzen.com/img/hardcore.jpg</span></p>

Im def buying and wish I could right now. I have been playing Adams games since middle school starting with EW 9000 and used to keep notebooks full of booking plans when EWD came out. Loyal fan here and am very happy with TEW 2020 as it is right now. I cant wait for the full release.

I will be buying on release day. Am enjoying the game a lot, despite some issues, all of which have been addressed by others at various times here. The only things dampening my excitement are the pushed back (and now uncertain) release date and the bugs/patches. I was going to have a window where I wasn't working with which to play this game but it looks like it will now completely miss that window, which sucks. As far as bugs and patches, they're to be expected but it does make me reticent to start a proper save because I feel like at any moment it could be rendered worthless by a new patch that fixes an issue I wasn't aware of when I started the save. The game itself plays well but it does feel a bit like whack-a-mole with bugs being taken out and new ones springing up and it feels "unsafe" to start a real save and get invested until there's been a period where each patch isn't potentially introducing new problems.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Nachtfalter" data-cite="Nachtfalter" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="49289" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm buying it, no doubt. Just like every other TEW (and WMMA) that came before.<p> </p><p> Honestly, though, that is in large part due to loyalty, a willingness to keep supporting GDS to ensure further future releases and the firm belief (grounded in experience from years past) that Adam is going to do his absolute best to keep improving the game even after release.</p><p> </p><p> As the beta is right now, the game is not really worth the price. At all. The user interface is just a horrible, horrible mess and makes this a worse experience to play than it's predecessors.</p><p> The game mechanics are most certainly vastly improved both in obvious and less obvious ways, but that is small comfort when I have to keep cursing at my computer because I've moved the wrong segment up or down for the 43rd time due to the complete cluster-f that is the 2020 booking screen with it's inconveniently tiny arrow buttons and the baffling lack of features like "move to the top" or "move same segment again".</p><p> </p><p> It's some small steps forward and a giant tumble backwards. But, oh well... who else is gonna take PGHW back to the top? My 35 bucks are ready to be spent...</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Loyalty is the only reason I could see myself buying the game in it's current state so I understand where you are coming from with your post. I am going the opposite direction though, primarily based on how I currently don't feel respected as a long time customer at this point, whether it's by other long term fans of the series who are more active posters, or by the moderators who <em>appear </em>to be actively deleting some dissenting opinions and criticisms... It really has all just left a sour taste in my mouth, as someone who has been buying all the TEW games (as well as Wrespi and Comic book hero) since EWR.</p>

Loyalty is the only reason I could see myself buying the game in it's current state so I understand where you are coming from with your post. I am going the opposite direction though, primarily based on how I currently don't feel respected as a long time customer at this point, whether it's by other long term fans of the series who are more active posters, or by the moderators who appear to be actively deleting some dissenting opinions and criticisms... It really has all just left a sour taste in my mouth, as someone who has been buying all the TEW games (as well as Wrespi and Comic book hero) since EWR.

Exactly how I feel. This entire TEW2020 experience has been nothing but unpleasant.

I always feel like such an outsider when people talk about using Excel for their TEW savegames, keeping notes, having these elaborate plans, haha. I just play and book. I have some stuff in my head, but I really just paly for fun. I guess this is a big reason why 2020 just doesn't jive with me that much; a lot of people over the years have complained about TEW games being too easy. I've never had this issue because I've never played TEW for the any kind of challenge it may or may not provide. It's just been this fun way to kill time, really. But I think 2020 aimed to address a lot of the things about the difficulty that have been brought up.

This, then, lead to this game where our hands are cuffed way tighter than before. I also feel that maybe it's because the game was aimed at the hardcores who truly do play the game with the help of Excel and hundreds of external notes that everything taking so long was never seen as a possible issue. Me, I'm the kind of player who wants to spend a few minutes, tops, per show. The way I have all my custom angles, autonames, etc. and everything setup, I can book a TV show in a minute in 2016 probably.

This is exactly how I feel. A small group of people complained loudly about issues noone else was having. Now, they have the game they want but so many others have been driven away. I'm with you Teemu I couldn't give a damn about difficulty, and tbh I don't even see how 'difficulty' even applies to this game. The game has been tuned for only a part of the audience because they complained constantly. Financials, spreadsheets, blah blah. It's not as fun as it used to be and its trending in the wrong direction.

At this point, I don't think I will be buying the new game.

For me, the main issue is the pre-packaged products. I think I understand why the decision was made to use them. It makes TEW 2020 feel more like a classic video game that forces you to adapt to the settings in order to succeed. But, I just don't enjoy playing TEW this way. It feels like the whole game has turned into a campaign mode and removed a key sandbox element that I really enjoyed.

For instance, I played a two month save of Ring of Honor with the recommended product settings and I was forced to make the product something completely different than I wanted it to be to succeed. I scrolled through all the other product categories and none of them felt true to ROH either.

Again maybe with more time, I would find a product/company fit that I really enjoyed but I already have a great game that I love in TEW 2016 that let me play how I wanted. Add in the fact that the UI is a step back and I think I'll just keep playing TEW 2016.

Loyalty is the only reason I could see myself buying the game in it's current state so I understand where you are coming from with your post. I am going the opposite direction though, primarily based on how I currently don't feel respected as a long time customer at this point, whether it's by other long term fans of the series who are more active posters, or by the moderators who appear to be actively deleting some dissenting opinions and criticisms... It really has all just left a sour taste in my mouth, as someone who has been buying all the TEW games (as well as Wrespi and Comic book hero) since EWR.

Jesus christ this is the worst type of consumer and probably the reason so many game companies refuse to communicate with their fans. Treat me like a king because I buy your products! Fans like this are why people stop listening to their fans and just make the game they want to without much feedback. Entitled, spoiled sons of guns, welcome to gaming culture 2020.

That said I will be buying the game but certainly I was expecting more after the huge success that was WMMA 5. The next TEW might be a make or break the series and needs a true 'total rebuild' imho.

Jesus christ this is the worst type of consumer and probably the reason so many game companies refuse to communicate with their fans. Treat me like a king because I buy your products! Fans like this are why people stop listening to their fans and just make the game they want to without much feedback. Entitled, spoiled sons of guns, welcome to gaming culture 2020.

That said I will be buying the game but certainly I was expecting more after the huge success that was WMMA 5. The next TEW might be a make or break the series and needs a true 'total rebuild' imho.

I think we could be friends. Totally agree with what u said.

At first I liked TEW 20 but after playing the game for a while I'm a no. I think at first I was looking at the new features the most and is probably why I felt that way. I have purchased every TEW game on release date but not this one.

I'm really disappointed with how the product selection is done. There is no way to customize it. All of the penalties I'm getting dinged for makes the game feel like a chore. TEW 16 was fun and previous versions were fun, TEW 20 is not so much fun.

The UI seems to be more trouble than its worth. The UI is also making the game feel like a chore. I have to spend way to much time clicking buttons and going from one screen to the next to find something. I've spent a lot of time trying to give this game a chance but it's just to disappointing. I feel it's a step backwards.

Unless the UI is massively improved and product customization is added then I'm a no but Adam has already said neither of these are happening so that brings me to a no.

There are also some other issues I'm not happy with but product limitation and UI are the big disappointments for me.

There are some great new features and wonderful ideas but I'm just not digging the limitations of TEW 20.

I'm going to hope that maybe a future TEW will be what TEW 2020 was hyped up to be. I'm also hoping that the game will be developed on something better than VB. It's time to look forward.

You can disable most of the penalties in user preferences

I totally agree. I have had some of my post taken down that were mildly critical. I did a poll offering ideas based on what others were suggesting to get an idea of what most wanted to see. The poll was removed, lol. Most of the voters (about 78%) wanted something different. There were only 15 voters before it was taken down. So yeah, it has kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. However, I'm not one that worries about the bad taste, I'm mostly concerned about the game in its current state. That is mostly why I'm in the no category. For the first time since 2004 I actually find myself enjoying the traditional WWE game (WWE 2k20 as bad as it is) more than TEW 2020. That is a huge swing for me. I'll be sticking with TEW 16 unless something major changes.

The game mechanics are most certainly vastly improved both in obvious and less obvious ways, but that is small comfort when I have to keep cursing at my computer because I've moved the wrong segment up or down for the 43rd time due to the complete cluster-f that is the 2020 booking screen with it's inconveniently tiny arrow buttons and the baffling lack of features like "move to the top" or "move same segment again".

Playing the demo, I feel like I must have been doing something wrong. But it appears this really is the game design? It's baffling. Booking a full show is already the most tedious thing in-game, and now it seems so much more tedious than I remember.

The obvious solution is to plan out a show + angles exactly before hand and enter that way. Ultimately not a game-ruiner, but not exactly how I've ever booked either.

I skipped TEW2016 so I'll probably grab TEW2020. Really enjoying the demo playthrough I've started by creating a new promotion, "small", ranked #4 in America, and just trying to compile the best of the "indies". Already attached to Frederique and Frankie Perez and a number of high flyers like Americana Jr, Extraordinario Jr, and Flying Patriot.

I always feel like such an outsider when people talk about using Excel for their TEW savegames, keeping notes, having these elaborate plans, haha. I just play and book. I have some stuff in my head, but I really just paly for fun. I guess this is a big reason why 2020 just doesn't jive with me that much; a lot of people over the years have complained about TEW games being too easy. I've never had this issue because I've never played TEW for the any kind of challenge it may or may not provide. It's just been this fun way to kill time, really. But I think 2020 aimed to address a lot of the things about the difficulty that have been brought up.

I don't think you need to do any of that to enjoy TEW, whether 2020 or previous versions. People are doing that not because it's necessary to succeed, but because that's enjoyable for them as fantasy booking.

You can just throw together ad hoc matches on a whim and succeed - I got 4C to the number one company in the world doing that in 2016, and I have no problem gaining pop with companies in 2020 doing the same.

If anything, 2020 is extremely easy at present. As has been pointed out elsewhere, worker costs and own broadcasters are wildly unbalanced, to the point that there is no challenge in playing a smaller company. Locker room management is a non-issue.

The management aspect is really lacking, which is a shame as that's what interests me.

I think that's over the top.

If a person who has been a long-time buyer feels the series is not progressing sufficiently and that legitimate criticisms are not being addressed, that's an entirely sensible and fair reason to not buy.

That's not "entitled" at all; that's an assessment as to the worth of the game in its current state and the apparent direction it is taking.

There's at least as much merit to that as just buying out of "loyalty" - that sort of approach contributes to holding back the series.

Everyone is entitled to like or dislike the game as it stands, and to make their purchasing decisions accordingly.

At this point, I don't think I will be buying the new game.

For me, the main issue is the pre-packaged products. I think I understand why the decision was made to use them. It makes TEW 2020 feel more like a classic video game that forces you to adapt to the settings in order to succeed. But, I just don't enjoy playing TEW this way. It feels like the whole game has turned into a campaign mode and removed a key sandbox element that I really enjoyed.

For instance, I played a two month save of Ring of Honor with the recommended product settings and I was forced to make the product something completely different than I wanted it to be to succeed. I scrolled through all the other product categories and none of them felt true to ROH either.

Again maybe with more time, I would find a product/company fit that I really enjoyed but I already have a great game that I love in TEW 2016 that let me play how I wanted. Add in the fact that the UI is a step back and I think I'll just keep playing TEW 2016.

That's really my only issue at this point. I'm sure i'll have issues with the limited potential for the AI and lack of potential to Auto Booker but really the only big issue i have is the terrible product decision.

I'm sure i'll still buy it right away though because i know there's so much work that goes into it and there's just way too much good stuff added to not show MY personal appreciation. I still love 16 though so it's a win / win either way and i completely agree that these templates take away the enjoyment / excitement quite a bit in 20.

Probably a bunch of things that we'll get to experience and enjoy that aren't even talked about much yet once the game is unlocked and we all get to jump into a game world.

I think that's over the top.

If a person who has been a long-time buyer feels the series is not progressing sufficiently and that legitimate criticisms are not being addressed, that's an entirely sensible and fair reason to not buy.

That's not "entitled" at all; that's an assessment as to the worth of the game in its current state and the apparent direction it is taking.

There's at least as much merit to that as just buying out of "loyalty" - that sort of approach contributes to holding back the series.

Everyone is entitled to like or dislike the game as it stands, and to make their purchasing decisions accordingly.

And that's to say nothing that the OP was referring to people on the board rather than GDS themselves. An important bit of context that was left out.

I mean, I think there are some who have been unfairly critical of the game, but I'm no fan of taking statements out of context to make a strawman.

Let’s avoid personal attacks on folks who are voicing their opinions and feelings. The poster you went after you we being honest about their feelings and whether you have the same feeling or not, you have to respect their right to post it (especially when it was done with our malice towards any specific people).

Some of you guys are ridiculous. I've been buying these since 07ish but I'm a more casual player ( I don't use excel, etc to plan out games) This game is good and the only thing people here have an issue with is change.

I don't think it's fair to call people ridiculous because they may not be satisfied with the game. I'm glad you are, but we're not going to devolve into calling opinions that we disagree with ridiculous because we disagree with it.

On a side note, I'm locking this thread because it seems to be devolving into attacks on people with dissenting opinions and I don't want to see arguments break out. People are allowed to be unhappy with the game or a product so to prevent that, I'm closing this.