How do you *start* a game effectively?

Hey all,

I love this game and I love this series, BUT I often spend ages setting a game up (tweaking rosters etc) only to struggle to move forward. Whenever I've managed to get past a month I've usually gone on to have really fulfilling games but can't always manage it.

So, what do you to start a game effectively? What do you do to make sure you set yourself up for a good save?

<p>Some things I usually do:</p><p> </p><p>

Check economy and industry settings. If it's really awful, maybe delete and try again.</p><p> </p><p>

Tweak product, if desired.</p><p> </p><p>

Book house shows to check for chemistry. </p><p> </p><p>

Grab free agents early before they're hired elsewhere.</p><p> </p><p>

Tweak events--I usually add a minor band/celebrity and set bonus to each PPV--but i mostly play medium and larger companies.</p><p> </p><p>

Check for creative control contracts. I remove creative control when I find it, and never offer it. Your mileage may vary.</p>

<p>Figure out how you are going to maintain/build pop using what you have while you weed out what you don't want and build up guys you sign. The match/angle focuses are nice for that. If you only have a few people you are built around you put Main Event/Tight and make sure you mix up who is in mains around that core while putting those main guys in a big angle each show. If you have a ton of people to keep over then you may go 3 Ring Circus for matches, etc.</p><p> </p><p>

Figuring out what is going to keep you at least afloat is the hard part.</p>

<p>If you're a big company, clean house. Get rid of everyone you don't like to make room for these indy folk and free agents you do.</p><p> </p><p>

Then focus on pushing new talent, while writing stories for your current top guys.</p>

Hey all,

I love this game and I love this series, BUT I often spend ages setting a game up (tweaking rosters etc) only to struggle to move forward. Whenever I've managed to get past a month I've usually gone on to have really fulfilling games but can't always manage it.

So, what do you to start a game effectively? What do you do to make sure you set yourself up for a good save?

My checklist:

1. What is the Story of the Save? - What are my goals, who do I care about?
  2. What do I have? Can I work with it, and who's the dead weight?
  3. What can I bring in to bolster my roster? Who can I repackage to fill the gaps
  4. Earmarking the Future - building out my developmental/shortlist
  5. Road Map - Booking out the first year major event-event from finale-finale

Once you have this set up, everything is just about adaptation and booking.

If you're a big company, clean house. Get rid of everyone you don't like to make room for these indy folk and free agents you do.

Then focus on pushing new talent, while writing stories for your current top guys.

I do this too. Most companies start with overbloated rosters, which can make booking quite a pain, so I like to send as many guys to development as I can just to get them out of my hair to start the game.

Makes it much easier getting started without too much clutter.