Catch 22 - Pop / TV Viewers

So I just got a message saying I would have gained pop in a region but didn't due to the lack of viewers in that region. I need just 3 more pop to move up to Medium Size and look at getting a better TV deal with more viewers.

So I'm in a situation where I need more viewers to get more pop but need more pop to get more viewers.

How do I get out of this?

Whilst writing this I figured I could try for a better timeslot, but is there another way? What's going on here?

Edit: Update: I have just tried for a better timeslot but the minimum rating they want is a little too high for me to be getting every week, so at the moment, it appears I could be stuck.

Not sure if this is correct, but I would run shows in the regions where I was looking for pop gains if a particular region was lagging behind...Maritmes when I was ACPW booker, or when I was CZCW and wanted to beef up my pop in Mexico I would run a few shows in the Northern zones. Also, I find if you hire a worker from one of those areas who's popular already, they seem to 'bring' fans with them to your promotion. I hired a few Japanese workers when I was ACPW and CZCW (an aging Magnum Kobe) and even though their pop was low in NA, the fact they were so popular in Japan (and talented) seemed to bump my pop in those regions a bit (Kanto was about 4 or 5 pop higher than other regions in Japan when I ran CZCW.)

May not work or be a thing, but something to consider.

edit add: The thinking 'logically' about running shows in a low pop region is maybe that region is lagging behind because the fans feel 'outside' of your companies scope...but by running a show or two a year in a small region, the fans feel important again...and maybe word of mouth in Halifax gets more people watching your show in the long run? It's the foundation of why WWF ran house shows.

Thanks everyone, it's actually my home region that is getting restricted, but over the last few shows I've done I am getting that minimum rating more regularly so perhaps I am doing something right. Just trying to get to a level now where I know I can achieve it almost every week.

Just as a side question, how many times can you "fail" the minimum rating before the TV company "boots you out"?

Just as a side question, how many times can you "fail" the minimum rating before the TV company "boots you out"?

Haven't played recently, but generally it can be as low as 2 times. Could be a couple more, but I would really try to prevent it. :p

But as a reassurrance, that's how it is in these games when you start at the absolute bottom: you're going to have to do several to a LOT of local shows before a TV station even considers it, and meanwhile stay afloat for that long, which can be very tricky. To several players this is the main appeal of the game.

you're going to have to do several to a LOT of local shows before a TV station even considers it,

I've had a TV deal for quite a while already, I was just wondering if I could risk getting the better time slot earlier than planned, but I think I will continue to grow my workers pop a bit more first.

EDIT / UPDATE: As it turns out, the TV company won't give me the better time slot anyway. (I actually found another time slot that requires a slightly less minimum that I ALWAYS manage to hit). Back to the grind I guess.

Why wouldn't they give me the other time slot? What factors go into that? If it is company size, then again, I feel I'm stuck.

To raise company size, you have to run shows in that particular area to increase your fanbase. It follows the old 'oh you're on in the area but if ou're not running live shows you're going to max out in popularity there' addage (that isn't really an addage at all) but yes, if you want to go up in popularity, you have to appear there live past a certain point, you can only gain so much from TV.

To raise company size, you have to run shows in that particular area to increase your fanbase. It follows the old 'oh you're on in the area but if ou're not running live shows you're going to max out in popularity there' addage (that isn't really an addage at all) but yes, if you want to go up in popularity, you have to appear there live past a certain point, you can only gain so much from TV.

Yep. And ALL my shows are held in the same region.

I though in TEW 2020 it was when you were last seen and that it didn't matter where the show happened (i.e. I could run every show in the great lakes, but if my TV deal covers all of the US, then there is no penalty, but if I have no TV in Canada and haven't been to a region there in a while, then there is a penalty after a while.)

I can see now where you're coming from with the catch22, as I'm running into the same issue. I get that due to the low number of viewers, pop gains have been annuled.

It makes sense. You just have to accept that eventually the market will just be saturated for the product you choose to run. Though in theory you might be able to eventually get every product to the top, reallistically that shouldn't happen and you'll be hitting some sort of ceiling.

So to break it you'll have to either change or adapt to the current trends.

I like it as management games very often are fixated to have the player go from zero to hero. It installs the mindset that you should replicate that in any setting.

I though in TEW 2020 it was when you were last seen and that it didn't matter where the show happened (i.e. I could run every show in the great lakes, but if my TV deal covers all of the US, then there is no penalty, but if I have no TV in Canada and haven't been to a region there in a while, then there is a penalty after a while.)

It’s the issue for extremely low importance regions, where despite broadcasting coverage in an entire region, a few areas will lag behind badly, maybe even to the point of denying you a size increase.

It caps you out if you're only being seen there. You still have to appear in the area occasionally to really be able to rise in popularity/gain new fans. This is to prevent someone from building a titanic empire having only ever run in one region because that's not realistic. In reality, if you want to be a top-level company, you still have to appear places (the pandemic notwithstanding) in order to really get your popularity to increase in that region.

OK, so just to update, I did still manage to gain pop and am now a medium sized company. After that, I got a different TV time slot on ALL my areas. But I still get the message about pop being held back in the British Isles due to number of viewers. Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick and it's a different area other than my home area that is having pop limited, but I don't understand. I now have MORE viewers in all my regions, included outside of the British Isles. I have also started house shows in all areas of the British Isles and am starting to hold TV and Events in other areas now too.

<p>I don’t understand why in only one region of Canada my popularity is capped at 55.</p><p>

In all others Canadian regions I have 79-80 of popularity. </p><p>

I am with TCW and I can increase in size due to that 55.</p><p>

I am hosting also regular shows in that region but nothing.</p><p>

Could this be a bug?</p>