AWA 1989: A Financial Savior Is (Badly) Needed

On 12/10/2022 at 5:14 AM, DHK1989 said:

Moving the AWA offices? Uh oh...

20 hours ago, smartman said:

How big were her heels in that Valiant pic? And already moving the HQ? Interesting. They're still going to have to run the shows in the states in and around MN to even hope of turning a profit anytime soon.

Given that the AWA's core territory is the Midwest and has been since its foundation, that has me wondering too...  🤔

On 12/10/2022 at 5:14 AM, DHK1989 said:

Moving the AWA offices? Uh oh...

Since wrestlers usually live around their home base, where would you rather live: Minneapolis, L.A. or LV?

Location is a big selling point.

On 12/11/2022 at 5:34 PM, smartman said:

How big were her heels in that Valiant pic? And already moving the HQ? Interesting. They're still going to have to run the shows in the states in and around MN to even hope of turning a profit anytime soon.

Those heels were high. She's a shorty w/o them on.

From the last post before the sale:

Verne: What about national expansion?

Deb: We talked with Bill and Jim about it since they are the go-to wrestling guys. Right now, we feel it's important to concentrate on the territory we have right now and look to expand gradually from there. But that's a discussion for some point down the road. We look at it as building up our own houses first before moving into the houses of others.

AWA ON ESPN - SHOWBOAT SPORTS PAVILION - LAS VEGAS, NV - NOVEMBER 1989

(NOTE: IRL, these tapings would have taken place in later October/early November before the sale of the AWA was agreed upon.)

(1st Taping Re-cap)

ANNOUNCERS: Lee Marshall & Lord James Blears

IN-RING INTERVIEWER/RING ANNOUNCER: Larry Nelson

In-Studio: Larry Nelson welcomed viewers and ran down the program.

#1 CONTENDER MATCH FOR THE AWA WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP: Lelani Kai vs. Magnificent Mimi

SC 4 INSTANT CLASSIC: Greg Valentine's AWA debut match vs. Baron Von Raschke and the emotional farewell Von Raschke bid pro wrestling

An update on the Pro Wrestling Heritage 16-Man Championship Tournament

A look at Larry Zbyszko's attack last week on The Trooper on All-Star Wrestling

An update on the Lee Marshall-Tommy Rich challenge situation

Jerry Blackwell sees action

AND MORE!

Nelson then sent it to the ring in Vegas.

Col. DeBeers won a squash match over Joey Bishop via pinfall with his face-first piledriver finisher

DeBeers toyed with Bishop before finishing him off

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Larry Nelson: Col. DeBeers! Wrestling fans everywhere are buzzing about what you did to Tom Zenk at Super Clash 4!

We clearly saw you put some sort of blue substance on your thumb and jammed it in Zenk's eye and it helped you score a tainted victory over Zenk.

DeBeers: A tainted victory?! Excuse me!

I beat the American disgrace known as Tom Zenk, 1-2-3 right in the middle of the ring!

And I'm tired of hearing how I had to cheat to win!

Zenk lost because he's a decadent American who thinks mixing with the dark races is somehow a wonderful thing!

He ran into a buzzsaw when he squared off with me because I don't allow myself to be polluted!

Some in the crowd booed.

Nelson (in a stunned voice): Polluted?! Are you kidding me?!

DeBeers: You heard me right, Nelson. Blood pollution leads to degradation. And degradation leads to the collapse of civilization.

Nelson: You've said a lot of controversial things before. But I think this tirade takes first prize.

DeBeers: So, the truth is now controversial, eh? It's only controversial to those who live in some sort of mental la-la land.

Tom Zenk is American trash! He should be ashamed of the way behaves! He knows he could act like a man of honor but flat out chooses not to! He's proud of his debauchery!

My win at Super Clash 4 was a win for decency. These Americans show just how mind bent they are when they boo me! Their brains have been scrambled by the boob tube! They don't know which way is up!

Whatever their media masters tell them to believe they believe because deep thinking is not a cherished American value!

Crowd was starting to get hot and some trash was thrown in the ring.

Nelson: We need to wrap this up! I value my life!

Col. DeBeers, everybody!

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... 16 MEN! 1 TITLE!

Commercials

In-Studio: Nelson talked about the interview with DeBeers and how heated it got in the ring because of the inflammatory things

DeBeers was saying. Nelson said he'd never been more worried about his safety in his life, and that included a stint in Vietnam. Said standing next to DeBeers was like standing next to a giant bullseye.

Nelson then introduced video of PWI's Bill Apter talking about the upcoming Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament in February 1990 in Anaheim.

VIDEO:

Apter was standing in front of the PWI logo with mic in hand. He was in street clothes.

Apter: Hello, wrestling fans!

This is Bill Apter from Pro Wrestling Illustrated.

Mark Saturday, February 17th, on your calendar.

That's the day the 16-man tournament to decide the first-ever Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion will be determined.

The tournament will be held at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California.

Anaheim is a world class city with great places to stay and eat and see. Of course, there's also Disneyland and the beach is nearby.

And Anaheim also has great weather in February.

The historic event will take place in two sessions.

The opening round will take place at 12:30pm on the 17th. And the quarterfinals, semifinals and tournament final will take place that evening at 7:30pm.

It promises to be a great, full day of wrestling action.

Tickets for the event are now on sale.

For ticket information: call the Anaheim Convention Center Box Office at (714) 555-1812 or contact Ticketmaster.

This is shaping up to be a great event, wrestling fans! Be part of it!

See you February 17th in Anaheim!

I'm Bill Apter. Until next time.

Video aired of Zbyszko's assault on The Trooper with the caption: NEXT... LARRY FOUGHT THE LAW...

Commercials

IT'S THE AWA ON TOUR! We'll be at the high school/community center/county fair/used car dealership parking lot/church fellowship hall in (insert town here). THE AWA IS THE MAJOR LEAGUE OF PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING!

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd video from last week of Larry Zbyszko attacking the The Trooper Del Wilkes.

VIDEO:

(From All-Star Wrestling)

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW AT RINGSIDE:

Nelson: 'Trooper' Del Wilkes, you just continue racking up the wins here in the AWA with that devastating submission hold of yours.

What's next for 'The Trooper'?

Wilkes: Larry, I've just gotta keep going here in the AWA. Gotta keep winning and working my way up the ladder; because just like every wrestler that enters this sport, my goal is to one day be the AWA World Champion.

Fans cheered.

Nelson: You keep on winning and I think it's a safe bet to say that you'll be...

Crowd booed as Larry Zbyszko walked into the picture.

Zbyszko: I bet you think you're a real big man with that badge of yours, buddy!

Wilkes just looked at Zbyszko.

Zbyszko: You come out here and this idiot asks you what you're gonna do next and you talk about challenging for the World Championship?! Did I hear that correctly?!

Wilkes: Wait a minute! I didn't say it that way! I siad I've got to continue winning and...

Zbyszko: You stood right here and said you were deserving of a World Title match! Is that true or not?!

Wilkes: If I keep winning my matches I think I will deserve a crack at the championship!

Zbyszko: The gall of this man!

Zbyszko pointed an accusatory finger at Wilkes.

Zbyszko: You seem to think somebody should just hand you whateverr it is you want! Is it because you wear that badge, buddy?!

Wilkes: You're twisting my words! Why don't you just calm...

Zbyszko slapped Wilkes. Wilkes briefly touched his jaw and then popped Zbyszko with a slap of his own. Slap was so hard that
Zbyszko stumbled and crashed to the floor as the crowd popped.

An angry Wilkes glared down at Zbyszko. Zbyszko unsteadily made it to his feet holding the side of his face.

Zbyszko stumbled off and out of the picture.

Wilkes: Larry Nelson! I don't know what Zbyszko's problem is! But if he wants a piece of...

Zbyszko charged back into the picture and nailed Wilkes from behind with a forearm smash to the back. Wilkes stumbled forward. Zbyszko pounced on Wilkes and hammered away on Wilkes. Zbyszko threw Wilkes into the ring. Zbyszko followed Wilkes in stomped Wilkes, snapped Wilkes up, whipped Wilkes into the ropes and caught Wilkes coming off with a spin kick to the chest. Wilkes crashed to the mat.

Zbyszko picked up on a mic.

Zbyszko: This clown needs to be taught a lesson!

Zbyszko left the ring, grabbed an empty folding metal chair that was sitting next to the timekeeper's table, folded it up and climbed back into the ring with it as Wilkes was getting to his feet. Wilkes up and facing away from Zbyszko and Zbyszko slammed the chair into Wilkes' back. Wilkes staggered. Zbyszko repeated the chair shot and Wilkes went down. Wilkes got to all fours and Zbyszko slammed the chair across Wilkes back twice. Wilkes back down on the mat. Zbyszko then methodically started beating Wilkes with the chair. Shots were so violent they bent the top of the chair. Crowd popped as some of the faces anbd refs charged down to the ring. Zbyszko tossed the chair and bailed to the safety of the floor as the wrestlers and refs hit the ring. Zbyszko didn't wait around and just headed back up the heel aisle as Wilkes was checked on in the ring.

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson briefly discussed the assault on The Trooper by Zbyszko.

Nelson then sent it back to the ring in Vegas.

Jerry Blackwell won a squash match over Jet Bodeen via pinfall with his diving splash finisher

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Jerry Blackwell, we are getting closer to the day when you finally face off against Kokina Maximus.

Blackwell: I see that Kokina is now bringing a stretcher to ringside with him! And who is this doctor of his and why does he wear a mask?! Why doesn't the good doc want people to know who he is?!

Short and to the point! Kokina Maximus is not just a wrestler! He's also a destroyer! He likes to hurt people!

Well, Kokina, I just have one thing to say to you! You ain't treatin' me like you've treated some of these other wrestlers! You're not takin' liberties with me!

And I can damn sure tell you that you're not stretchering me outta no arena!

Come to fight, Kokina! Come to fight!

Nelson: Jerry Blackwell, everybody!

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... SUPER CLASH CLASSIC!

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd the SC 4 match featuring Greg Valentine's AWA debut and Baron Von Raschke's emotional farewell to wrestling.

VIDEO:

(From Super Clash 4 - 10/18/89)

DEBUT MATCH

Greg Valentine vs. Baron Von Raschke

Baron Von Raschke came to the ring to a solid ovation from the crowd. Baron climbed into the ring and walked to a neutral corner.

Greg Valentine came down the aisle to pretty strong boos but also had his fans. Valentine climbed in the ring and went to a neutral corner.

Nelson intro'd the Baron. Nice response from the crowd as Baron did the goose-step (try doing that as a face today) and did the claw gesture with his right hand.

Nelson then intro'd Valentine to mainly boos. Valentine stepped out of he corner and did the Ric Flair spread the arms out wide and spin around in his robe.

Valentine and Von Raschke removed their robes and Von Raschke pulled on the top rope to stretch a little as the ref called for the bell.

Crowd buzzing as the two men came out and circled one another. Greg took a swipe at Baron but the Baron evaded it.

The two continued to circle one another and then engaged in a collar-and-elbow tie-up. Greg gained the advanatage and drove Baron against the ropes. Ref ordered a break. Clean break. The two circled each other once again and engaged in another collar-and-elbow tie-up. After a brief struggle, Greg was able to catch Baron in a hammerlock. Greg tightened up on the hold but Baron refused to submit. Baron was then able to maneuver around and reverse the hold and lock Greg in the hammerlock. Baron took Greg down in the hold. Baron cranked away on Greg's left arm and Greg was squirming. Ref asked if Greg gave up and Greg said no. Baron, still holding Greg in the hammerlock, proceeded to drive a series of swinging knees into Greg's back. Baron released the hold. Greg made it to his feet and was shaking out his left arm from the effects of the hammerlock. Baron moved in on Greg and Greg quickly leaned out between the top and middle rope. Ref ordered Baron back. Greg still shaking out his left arm. Greg slowly pulled his upper body back into the ring. Baron started to move on Greg and Greg again leaned out through the top and middle rope and the ref ordered Baron back once more. Greg yelled at the ref to: Keep that Kraut away from me! Greg slowly pulled his upper body back into the ring. Baron again moved on Greg and Greg feigned he was going to stick his upper body out through the ropes again and Baron hesitated and Greg stunned Baron with a kick to the gut. Baron doubled over holding his gut. Greg moved in and hit Baron with a series of elbows to the back of the neck, the last one dropping Baron to a knee. Baron holding the back of his neck. Greg snapped Baron up and nailed Baron with a suplex. Greg up and nailed Baron with an elbow smash across the chest. Greg up, pointed at the ropes, ran and hit the ropes and came off with a running elbow smash that connected. Greg for the cover. 1...2... Baron kicked out. Greg snapped up Baron and slammed Baron's head into the top buckle. Baron turned around and Greg blasted Baron with a chop. Baron eye's suddenly widened and his body seemed to stiffen. Crowd buzzing like a driver coming home from a bar on Friday night. Valentine hit Baron with another chest chop and again the Baron stiffened. Greg then reared back for a third chop and the Baron again no-sold it. Baron goose-stepped out of the corner to the delight of the crowd. Greg then grabbed Baron and went to whip Baron into the opposite buckles but Baron reversed and sent Greg crashing into them. Baron moved in and hit Greg with a series of shoulder blocks to the gut. Baron then went to lock Greg in the Iron Claw but Greg got his arms up and crossed in an 'X' formation to block the move. Greg went down to his ass in the corner and quickly rolled under the bottom rope and dropped to the floor.

Crowd into the match. Greg walking around on the floor as the Baron gestured for him to get back in the ring. Ref started the 10-count. Count grew and Greg climbed up on the apron and quickly got into the ring and tackled baron to the mat and the two rolled around engaging in a wild punch exchange. Ref trying to get them separated. The two finally separated and both men got to their feet and briefly shook out the effects of the match. Baron moved in on Greg and Greg stunned Baron with another chest chop. This time, Baron felt it. Greg then fired away with a series of chest chops on the Baron, the last one knocking Baron to the mat. Greg quickly moved in and grabbed Baron's right leg and yanked on it a few times and then went to lock Baron in the figure 4 but Baron reached up and caught Greg in a small package for the pin. 1...2... Greg kicked out. Fans groaned. Both men up and and Greg caught Baron with a shot to the gut. Greg went to whip Baron into the ropes but Baron reversed and caught Greg coming off with a high backdrop. Greg crashed to the mat. Greg up and Baron caught Greg with a couple of head shots that drove Greg next to the ropes. Baron leaned Greg back across the top rope and blasted Greg with a series of forearm smashes to the chest. Greg staggered off holding his chest. Baron grabbed Greg and went to whip Greg into the ropes but Greg reversed and looked to catch the Baron coming off with a high backdrop but the Baron leapfrogged Greg. Greg up and turned and the Baron stunned Greg by catching Greg in the Iron Claw. Crowd popped big-time for the old German. Greg struggling to free himself from the hold. Greg maeuvered close enough to get his hand on the top rope to try and force a break but Baron yanked Greg away from the ropes still locked in the hold. Crowd cheering even louder.

Greg started to weaken in the hold and was getting desperate.

Marshall: The Baron might just pull this off!

Greg went down to a knee and then fell back while still locked in the hold. Greg was able to reached over and grab the middle rope and force a break. Crowd groaned. Ref ordered the Baron back as Greg was still leaned against the ropes shaking out the effects of the Iron Claw. Greg slowly to his feet. Ref aksed Greg if he could continue and Greg nodded and said 'yes'. Greg and Baron circled one another and engaged in another collar-and-elbow tie-up and Baron quickly gained the advantage and caught Greg in a side headlock but Greg countered with a belly-to-back suplex. Baron up facing away from Greg and Greg moved in behind Baron and nailed Baron with a chop block to the back of the knee area. Baron crumpled to the mat. Greg went over and stomped on Baron's right knee, grabbed Baron's right leg and yanked on it a few times and then locked Baron in the figure 4. Most of the crowd roaring for Baron to not submit. Baron fighting hard through the pain. Baron not giving up. Baron then started to reverse the hold. Crowd cheering Baron on. Greg fought against the hold being reversed. A struggle ensued. Just as it appeared that Baron would complete the reversal, Greg was able to shift his weight and regain control of the hold. Crowd groaned.

A few seconds later...

it was all over as Baron could no longer stand the pain and shook his head 'yes' and cried out 'yes' to the ref. Ref called for the bell.

Valentine released the hold and got to his feet. Ref raised Valentine's hand in victory. Baron still down. Valentine left the ring, Stood on the apron and raised his arms victoriously in the air to mainly boos. Valentine then left the scene and disappeared to the back.

WINNER: Valentine - Submission - 11:02

POST-MATCH:

Baron had started to recover and got to his hands and knees. Ref went to help Baron up but Baron waved off the ref. Baron, on shaky legs, made it to his feet as the crowd looked on. Ref said something to Baron and Baron said something in return and the ref left the ring. Baron was limping. Baron stood center ring and looked out at the crowd.

Marshall: Baron sure is staying in that ring a long time. Wait a minute...

Crowd cheered Baron. Baron then walked/limped over to a corner and sat down. He briefly bowed his head and then looked up. His eyes were glistening. Baron then started to untie his boot laces. The announcers remained silent. Baron took off his boots and, with the aid of the ropes, made it to his feet. Baron hobbled out to mid-ring and placed his boots there. Baron looked out at the crowd once more. Shot of some fans crying at the moment. Baron then made the Iron Claw gesture one more time as the fans popped and chanted: Baron! Baron! Baron!

Baron then left the ring and dropped to the floor. He was still limping from the effects of the figure 4. Shot of the Baron from behind as he made his way back up the face aisle.

Shot of Baron's ring boots left in the middle of the ring as the fans continued to chant his name as the program faded to black.

In-Studio: Larry Nelson talked about what an emotional moment it was when Baron retired. Said lots of people had tears in their eyes when Baron took off the boots and left them mid-ring.

Split-screen pic of Lee Marshall and Tommy Rich aired with the caption: NEXT... MARSHALL VS. RICH!!!

Commercials

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd footage from last week's confrontation between Tommy Rich and announcer Lee Marshall from last week's AWA Wrestling on ESPN.

VIDEO:

Marshall: Here's the point, then!

Tommy, I want you in a wrestling match!

Crowd popped.

Rich looked away and briefly chuckled and then looked back at Lee.

Rich: You really want a match with me...a former NWA World Champion? Haha! He's joking, Larry.

Marshall: It's no joke. I want a match with you on one condition.

Rich: Let me guess, I have to have my hands tied behind my back.

Marshall: No. The only thing I'm...

Rich: I have to be blindfolded, right? I can't see you.

Marshall: No. Since I'm not a wrestler, I'll need some time to train. And I want it to be a tag match. You pick your partner and I'll pick mine.

Rich: You want a tag match with me, huh?

Well, I'll give you your match, Lee Marshall. Each of us picks their tag partner.

But I want one stipulation added to the match.

Marshall: What is it?

Rich: If my team wins...then I get five minutes alone with you in the ring. Just you and me. No one can interfere and no AWA officials can stop the five-minute period for any...and I mean any...reason.

No matter how ugly or bloody it may get, the five minutes are the full five minutes.

Marshall: If the AWA bosses will agree to all this then I accept.

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson then intro'd comments from both men about the situation.

VIDEO:

Video opened with a shot of Lee Marshall, in his announcer tux, standing in front of the AWA logo. He had a mic.

Lee: Well, Tommy Rich has accepted the offer for a tag team match. He gets to choose his partner and I get to choose mine.

I've started looking for a tag team partner. So far, I'm just in the feeling out phase. I want to make sure we're a good fit.

This match means an awful lot to me.

Tommy Rich may be the most disrespectful wrestler I've ever come upon.

He's shown his true character by attacking an announcer. What does that say about him?

I want a match with Tommy. But, I also know that I am not a trained professional wrestler. There's no way I could outwrestle Rich on my own. That's why I asked for this to be a tag team match.

Someone has got to put Tommy Rich in his place.

Pic flipped and Rich was standing in front of a non-descript white wall in the back of an arena. Rich was in street clothes with mic in hand.

Rich: Lee Marshall...boy...are you dumber than you look?! Haha!

Guess what, Lee?!

I've already got my tag team partner for our match!

You heard that right, son!

I looked far and wide in my search for a tag team partner for this match!

I wanted someone who fights according to his own rules and also doesn't suck up and kiss the rear ends of announcers!

Well, I found him, boy!

And next week, right here on AWA Wrestling on ESPN, I'm gonna introduce him to the world!

Lee Marshall! Prepare to receive a cold, hard slap of reality!

END VIDEO

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... #1 CONTENDER'S MATCH!!!

Commercials

TV MAIN EVENT: #1 CONTENDER'S MATCH

Lelani Kai vs. Magnificent Mimi

Both wrestlers came out to a mixed crowd reax.

The match was a see-saw affair between these two with each taking shortcuts to gain an advantage during the match. Some exciting near falls.

End of the match saw the match still going back-and-forth.

Mimi briefly worked over Kai and whipped Kai into the ropes and Kai came off and caught Mimi with a flying crossbody. Mimi stumbled back and crashed to the mat with Kai on top of her for the pin. 1...2... Mimi kicked out. Both women up and Kai stunned Mimi with a boot to the gut and then went to catch Mimi in a backslide but Mimi blocked the move and reversed and caught Kai with a backslide for the pin. 1...2... Kai kicked out. Both women up and Mimi swung wildly at Kai and missed and Kai caught Mimi with a belly-to-back suplex into a bridgeout for the pin. 1...2... Mimi kicked out. Kai and Mimi up and exchanged forearms to the chest and Kai gained the advantage and whipped Mimi into the ropes and looked to catch Mimi with a backdrop but Mimi leapfrogged Kai, spun around, grabbed Kai and ran Kai into the ropes for the roll-up pin. 1... Mimi grabbed a handful of tights. ...2...thr... Kai managed to kick Mimi off. Mimi went down. Both women up and they both went for a dropkick and missed and both crashed to the mat. Ref counting the 10-count. Both women up as the count neared 10. Mimi up facing away from Kai. Kai dropkicked Mimi in the back and Mimi slammed front-first into the buckles. Kai rolled Mimi up from behind for the pin. 1... Kai got her feet on the middle rope. ...2...thr... Ref looked up and saw Kai's feet on the middle rope and ordered a break. Kai had words for the ref. Kai snapped up Mimi and went to bodyslam Mimi but Mimi caught Kai in a small package for the pin. 1...2...thr... Kai kicked out. Both women up and Mimi caught Kai with a kick to the side of the ribs. Mimi raked Kai's eyes across the top rope and broke the illegal move at the ref's count of 4. Mimi whipped Kai into the ropes and caught Kai coming off with a high backdrop. Kai slammed to the mat. Kai hurting. Mimi snapped Kai up by the hair and pulled Kai by her hair around the ring and then Mimi put her foot on the top buckle and slammed Kai's head into it. Mimi snatched Kai up and hoisted Kai up for a suplex but Kai managed to wriggle free from Mimi's grasp and drop down to her feet behind Mimi. Mimi turned and Kai blasted Mimi with a boot to the face out of nowhere. Mimi crashed to the mat and rolled over on her side. Kai was slow in turning MImi over on her back and going for the pin. 1...2...thr... Mimi kicked out. Mixed reax from the fans. Kai slammed the mat in frustration. Kai slammed Mimi's head into the mat three times and then snapped Mimi up and whipped Mimi into the ropes and looked to catch Mimi coming off with a backdrop but Mimi instead caught Kai with a kick to the chest. Kai shot up and stumbled back. Mimi hit Kai with a flying tackle. Mimi snapped Kai up and hit her with a sidebreaker across the knee. Mimi went out on the apron and mounted the top buckle as Kai slowly made it to her feet. Kai up and turned and was greeted by a missle dropkick from Mimi. Kai crashed to the mat. Mimi for the cover and hooked the leg. 1...2...3!

Ref called for the bell to a mixed crowd reax.

Mimi had won the right to face Wendi Richter for the AWA Women's Gold.

WINNER: Mimi - Pinfall - 9:14

END PROGRAM
Edited by piperrulz

5 hours ago, Theheel said:

Well gotta say I’m thrilled Vince didn’t get it.  Tribune has long been my out partner for the AWA with WGN being the flagship station.

looking forward to the future after the long sale journey, which was very entertaining.

Thanks, heel.

Got some interesting things happening before the transition that will play out over the next few weeks!

Like... what is Stan Hansen gonna do???

Edited by piperrulz

DAY OF THE NOVEMBER 1989 ESPN TV TAPINGS

SHOWBOAT HOTEL - LAS VEGAS, NV

(NOTE: Since I concentrated on the company sale issue because I wanted to get it done (sale took place in late November in the storyline), we're now going back to late October/early November and the day of the AWA on ESPN tapings in Vegas.

What you are about to read just popped into my head after I already posted the first AWA on ESPN show for November.

Things could be a little cattywompus posting-wise for the time being. Please pay attention to dates and any notes I leave on posts to keep up with where we are.

Thanx.)

Robert Remus (Sgt. Slaughter) and Stan Hansen had arrived at the Showboat Hotel and had gone to their respective rooms.

AWA boss Verne Gagne was in his room and called and asked to be connected to the room of Slaughter.

Verne told the champ to come on up to his room.

Verne had some brews waiting for Sarge and Hansen.

Sarge arrived a few minutes after the call and the pair sat and chatted for a few minutes.

After about 20 minutes of casual conversation and light drinking (the heavy stuff would start after the show! 🤯) Verne picked up the phone again and was connected to the room of Stan Hansen. Verne told Stan to come up to his room because they needed to talk about the night's tapings and the Hansen-Sarge program.

Verne was ever the staunch defender and practitioner of the art known as kayfabe.

Hansen arrived about five minutes later. The trio talked...and drank...for a few minutes before getting down to business.

Verne: Bob. Stan. Here's what I have in mind for you guys.

Let me know what you think.

We're gonna do an angle between you two that will air on ESPN the second half of November.

The angle is simple.

Bob, you're out for an interview and Stan Hansen shows up.

Stan runs his mouth a little and then the two of you get into a heated discussion.

Bob, during the war of words, you're getting really angry and turn to walk away from Stan.

Stan will then hit you with a running lariat to the back of the neck.

Bob, you go down and stay down and sell the neck.

Sarge: When will I be out of action?

Verne: You'll be defending the title at the houses until the angle airs on ESPN. Then, you won't wrestle again until Christmas night in Minneapolis.

You'll go into the Christmas night match still with a hurting neck and wearing a neck collar.

Stan will violently ambush you before the match and attack the neck.

We'll do the routine where the medics come out and examine you and tell President Blackburn that you're not fit to wrestle that night.

But, being Sarge, you'll demand to wrestle the match against Hansen and Blackburn, extremely uncomfortable, will allow the match to go forward.

Stan, you'll dominate most of the match by mainly attacking Sarge's neck.

The finish will be a match stoppage and Hansen is declared the new AWA World Champion. Haven't decided how the stoppage will occur. Either Bob is just seriously beat down and the ref just calls it or one of the boys comes to the ring and throws in the towel to stop the match.

Bob, you'll be stretchered off after the match to gain sympathy.

Hansen: OK. I'm the World Champion. When do I drop the strap back to Sarge?

Verne: I'm hoping you can do it in a Boot Camp match as a special attraction at the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament on February 17th in Anaheim.

Hansen: I'm supposed to be in Japan then, Verne. Tour starts at the beginning of February.

Verne: Can you contact Baba at All-Japan and ask him if you can come in two weeks after the start of the tour?

Hansen: That's a lot of money to give up.

Verne: I'll figure out a way to make it worth your while.

Hansen: You close to selling the company?

Verne: Right now, I'm talking to some groups about it. I am confident a deal will be struck in the near future.

Sarge: I'm on board.

Verne: Also, just made a deal with KMSP to air a live 2-hour special on Christmas night. Your match will be the main.

Show will be called Brawl in St. Paul 2 and will be at the St. Paul Civic Center.

Hansen: I'll call Baba and see what I can do.

Verne: Thanks, Stan.

Sarge: Is the angle our marching orders for tonight.

Verne: It is.

Let's go out there tonight and give 'em a good show.

Hansen: I'm in.

Sarge: Let's get this show on the road.

The trio went back to drinking and casual convo.

A major angle was about to go down.

Would it be a boom or a bust for the AWA...

STAY TUNED...

Edited by piperrulz
  • Like 2

Throwback Thursday: AWA All Star Wrestling (Jan. 25, 1987), As Seen on WWE  Network | WWE Network News

(NOTE: Most of the stuff on this program already aired on the ESPN program. Only the squashes and interviews are new.)

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING SYNDICATED TAPING RESULTS - MUNCIE, IN - IRVING GYMNASIUM - NOVEMBER 1989

In-Studio Host: Larry Nelson

Match Commentator: Lee Marshall

Color Commentator: Lord James Blears

Show Intro

In-Studio - Larry Nelson welcomed viewers and ran down the program:

SUPER CLASH 4 INSTANT CLASSIC: Greg Valentine's AWA debut match vs. Baron Von Raschke

PLUS! Von Raschke's emotional farewell to the sport

Sam Houston (w/ Coach Dick Murdoch) sees action

NON-TITLE: The Destruction Crew (WTTC) sees action

A look back at Larry Zbyszko's attack on The Trooper on last week's program

Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament news

Lee Marshall calls out Tommy Rich

News about a match on next week's program

Manny Fernandez wrestles

Wahoo McDaniel & Don Muraco see action

And more!!!

Nelson then sent it to the ring in Muncie.

Tommy Jammer won a squash match over the Carlton The Doorman with his Jammer Slam (whip opponent into the buckles, opponent bounces out and is caught in a powerslam)

In-Studio: Larry Nelson talked about the impressive win by Jammer.

Nelson then intro'd video of AWA announcer Lee Marshall calling out Tommy Rich

VIDEO:

(From last week's AWA Wrestling on ESPN)

Nelson was standing mid-ring with mic in hand.

Nelson: Would you please welcome my guest at this time...AWA announcer Lee Marshall.

Fair amount of cheers as Marshall got up from the announcers' table and made his way into the ring.

Marshall acknowledged the fans.

Nelson: Lee, we have heard that Tommy Rich is in the Showboat but we're not sure where. Per your request, his suspension has been lifted.

What do you want to say?

Marshall: Larry, I've made it clear that I was gonna call Tommy Rich out tonight. And that's what I'm gonna do!

Tommy Rich! If you can hear me. Come on down to the ring!

Brief time went by.

Nelson: I wonder if he's anywhere near the Sports Pavilion.

Marshall: Come on out, Tommy.

After another brief period of time went by...

Nelson: It looks like he's not around the Sports Pavilion. I guess we'll just have to...wait a minute!

Rich had come through the front entrance of the Sports Pavilion and made his way past the ringside seats, over the barricade and climbed into the ring as the crowd booed his appearance. Rich was in street clothes.

Rich briefly played to the crowd to more boos. Rich then reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a wad of cash and waved it in the air.

Rich: I'd have been here earlier, but I had a great run of luck at the Blackjack table as you can see.

I'm here, Marshall, let's get this over and done with. I gotta Blackjack table to get back to.

Marshall: Tommy...it's hard for me to control my anger right now...

Rich: Just stay calm, man. I ain't got time for fightin' tonight. Only thing I got time for is winnin'.

Marshall: When you slammed my head into that ring post that was the last straw for me.

Rich: Well, you deserved it. Glad I could be of help.

Marshall paced around for a few seconds.

Marshall: I'll get to the point. Tommy, I called you out here to...

Rich: Choose your words carefully. You're talkin' to a former NWA World Champion.

Marshall: Right. Right. How could any wrestling fan forget that 5-day World Title reign of Tommy Rich! It was the greatest 120 hours in the history of the sport!

Rich: Watch your mouth, Marshall! A World Champion should be treated with the respect he deserves!

Marshall: Respect?! You, Tommy?! Respect?! Respect is earned, not handed out like candy on Halloween.

Rich: Now I'm gettin' mad. You might be affecting my mojo for when I return to the Blackjack table! Make your point!

Crowd popped.

Rich: You really want a match with me...a former NWA World Champion? Haha! He's joking, Larry.

Marshall: No. Since I'm not a wrestler, I'll need some time to train. And I want it to be a tag match. You pick your partner and I'll pick mine.

Well, I'll give you your match, Lee Marshall. Each of us picks their tag partner.

Rich: If my team wins...then I get five minutes alone with you in the ring. Just you and me. No one can interfere and no AWA officials can stop the five-minute period for any...and I mean any...reason.

No matter how ugly or bloody it may get, the five minutes are the full five minutes.

Crowd buzzing.

Rich: You're on, Lee Marshall. It won't take me long to find a partner. And I'm really going to enjoy cleaning your clock in the five-minute period after you and your tag partner, whoever that will be, lose to me and my selected partner.

Now, I gotta go. A Blackjack table is calling my name.

Rich left the ring and headed back out through the ringside seating area and exited through the main entrance of the Sports Pavilion as Lee Marshall looked on.

Pic aired of the Destruction Crew with the caption: NEXT... STUDENT AND MENTOR!

Commercials

Sam Houston (w/ Coach Dick Murdoch) won a squash match over Tom Willis via pinfall with his bulldog finisher

During the match, Murdoch yelled instructions and encouragement to Sam.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Dick Murdoch, you have arrived in the AWA.

What made you decide to take Sam Houston under your wing as a student?

Murdoch: Well, Larry, I've had my eye on this young man for a long time.

He's one helluva talent. But, I always felt there was something holding him back.

He's got all the tools to be a major champion. This kid's got a lot of fight in him and is tough as a $2 dollar steak.

Nelson laughed at the steak remark.

Murdoch: To get to the next level, I realized that he needed a veteran of the mat wars to train him.

I've had a lot of success in this sport. I know all the ins and outs and tricks of the trade. I'm at a point in my career where it's time to impart some of that wisdom to younger wrestlers.

Nelson: Well, it seems to be working as Sam is undefeated since arriving in the AWA.

Sam, Murdoch's tutelage has obviously been a huge positive for you.

Houston: There's no doubt about that, Larry. Dick Murdoch has been the best thing that's ever happened to me career-wise.

As he pointed out to me when I first met him I just need some guidance to move up the ladder.

This is a tough sport to succeed in. Murdoch's a tough veteran wrestler and I needed that toughness, both physically and mentally, to become a better wrestler.

Nelson: Where do you think this is all leading for you?

Houston: With Dick Murdoch as my mentor the sky's the limit!

Crowd cheered.

Nelson: Sam Houston and coach Dick Murdoch, everybody!

In-Studio: Nelson said he thinks Houston made the right choice by bringing on a guy like Murdoch as his coach. Said Murdoch has a proven track record of success in the sport and can take Houston to the top.

Nelson then introduced video of PWI's Bill Apter talking about the upcoming Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament in February 1990 in Anaheim.

VIDEO:

Apter was standing in front of the PWI logo with mic in hand. He was in street clothes.

Apter: Hello, wrestling fans!

This is Bill Apter from Pro Wrestling Illustrated.

Mark Saturday, February 17th, on your calendar.

That's the day the 16-man tournament to decide the first-ever Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion will be determined.

The tournament will be held at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California.

Anaheim is a world class city with great places to stay and eat and see. Of course, there's also Disneyland and the beach is nearby.

And Anaheim also has great weather in February.

The historic event will take place in two sessions.

The opening round will take place at 12:30pm on the 17th. And the quarterfinals, semifinals and tournament final will take place that evening at 7:30pm.

It promises to be a great, full day of wrestling action.

Tickets for the event are now on sale.

For ticket information: call the Anaheim Convention Center Box Office at (714) 555-1812 or contact Ticketmaster.

This is shaping up to be a great event, wrestling fans! Be part of it!

See you February 17th in Anaheim!

Video aired of Zbyszko attacking The Trooper with the caption: NEXT... LAW ENFORCEMENT BLUES!

Commercials/Market-Specific promos for upcoming house shows/Generic promos for non-house show cities

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd video from last week's ASW where Zbyszko attacked The Trooper Del Wilkes.

VIDEO:

(From All-Star Wrestling)

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW AT RINGSIDE:

Nelson: 'Trooper' Del Wilkes, you just continue racking up the wins here in the AWA with that devastating submission hold of yours.

What's next for 'The Trooper'?

Wilkes: Larry, I've just gotta keep going here in the AWA. Gotta keep winning and working my way up the ladder; because just like every wrestler that enters this sport, my goal is to one day be the AWA World Champion.

Fans cheered.

Nelson: You keep on winning and I think it's a safe bet to say that you'll be...

Crowd booed as Larry Zbyszko walked into the picture.

Zbyszko: I bet you think you're a real big man with that badge of yours, buddy!
Wilkes just looked at Zbyszko.

Zbyszko: You come out here and this idiot asks you what you're gonna do next and you talk about challenging for the World Championship?! Did I hear that correctly?!

Wilkes: Wait a minute! I didn't say it that way! I siad I've got to continue winning and...

Zbyszko: You stood right here and said you were deserving of a World Title match! Is that true or not?!

Wilkes: If I keep winning my matches I think I will deserve a crack at the championship!

Zbyszko: The gall of this man!

Zbyszko pointed an accusatory finger at Wilkes.

Zbyszko: You seem to think somebody should just hand you whateverr it is you want! Is it because you wear that badge, buddy?!

Wilkes: You're twisting my words! Why don't you just calm...

Zbyszko slapped Wilkes. Wilkes briefly touched his jaw and then popped Zbyszko with a slap of his own. Slap was so hard that Zbyszko stumbled and crashed to the floor as the crowd popped.

An angry Wilkes glared down at Zbyszko. Zbyszko unsteadily made it to his feet holding the side of his face.

Zbyszko stumbled off and out of the picture.

Wilkes: Larry Neslon! I don't know what Zbyszko's problem is! But if he wants a piece of...

Zbyszko charged back into the picture and nailed Wilkes from behind with a forearm smash to the back. Wilkes stumbled forward. Zbyszko pounced on Wilkes and hammered away on Wilkes. Zbyszko threw Wilkes into the ring. Zbyszko followed Wilkes in stomped Wilkes, snapped Wilkes up, whipped Wilkes into the ropes and caught Wilkes coming off with a spin kick to the chest. Wilkes crashed to the mat.

Zbyszko picked up on a mic.

Zbyszko: This clown needs to be taught a lesson!

Zbyszko left the ring, grabbed an empty folding metal chair that was sitting next to the timekeeper's table, folded it up and climbed back into the ring with it as Wilkes was getting to his feet. Wilkes up and facing away from Zbyszko and Zbyszko slammed the chair into Wilkes' back. Wilkes staggered. Zbyszko repeated the chair shot and Wilkes went down. Wilkes got to all fours and Zbyszko slammed the chair across Wilkes back twice. Wilkes back down on the mat. Zbyszko then methodically started beating Wilkes with the chair. Shots were so violent they bent the top of the chair. Crowd popped as some of the faces anbd refs charged down to the ring. Zbyszko tossed the chair and bailed to the safety of the floor as the wrestlers and refs hit the ring. Zbyszko didn't wait around and just headed back up the heel aisle as Wilkes was checked on in the ring.

In-Studio: Nelson briefly discussed Zbyszko's assault on The Trooper.

Nelson then sent it back to the ring in Muncie, IN.

NON-TITLE: The Destruction Crew (WTTC) won a squash match over Louie DePalma & Tony Banta via pinfall when Bloom pinned DePalma after their Wrecking Ball (Doomsday Device) finisher

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Destruction Crew! You've fought off every challenge for the tag team titles to date. But, you could be living on borrowed time when you square off against former champs Ken Patera and Brad Rheingans.

Wayne Bloom: Ha! That's funny, Nelson! These belts have never been in better hands nor have they ever looked better than around our waists!

Ken Patera and Brad Rheingans are the former champions for a reason! It's because they weren't tough enough to hold onto the belts!

We've said it before and we'll say it again! They can demand any type of match against us! Any...kind...of...match! It can be for the titles or a non-title match!

But it's not gonna matter! Because Patera and Rheingans are gonna remain the former champs for good!

Mike Enos: Larry Nelson! This is the AWA! This is where the wrestling is front and center!

There's no way...NONE...that Patera and Rheingans can beat us for the gold!

It's our time now! The Destruction Crew rules the roost and we're gonna rule it for a long, long time to come!

Patera's a former Olympic powerlifter and Rheingans is a former amateur wrestling champion and Olympian!

They have impressive resume's! But they're gonna be another team me and Wayne add to our resume' of teams who tried and failed to take the tag team titles from us!

Nelson: They are the Destruction Crew.

Pic aired of Manny Fernandez with the caption: NEXT... RAGIN' TIME!

Commercials

Manny Fernandez won a squash match over Bob Geldof via pinfall with his flying burrito (double flying forearm smash) finisher

In-Studio: Nelson briefly discussed the Fernandez win.

Then sent it back to Muncie, IN for the next match.

Wahoo McDaniel & Don Muraco won a squash match over Sam Malone & Cliff Clavin via pinfall when Muraco pinned Clavin with his inverted piledriver finisher

During the match, the announcers pointed out that this was not an open contract match.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Don Muraco and Wahoo McDaniel, this was not an open contract match. But you guys are undefeated so far in those macthes. What's the secret to your success?

Wahoo: It's no secret, Larry. It's teamwork. Even in a match like this one that we're expected to win, good teamwork is the key.

Nelson: Well, you two work really well together. Like a well-oiled machine.

In your open contract matches, you guys can't prepare for who you are facing because you don't know who your opponents are.

Muraco: That's right. We can't prepare for those opponents because we have no idea who's gonna walk out to the ring. The key is
being able to make adjustments during those matches and so far it's worked out well for us.

Nelson: Making adjustments during the match? It's kind of like football.

Wahoo: You got that right. If you can't make adjustments during a match then you're in big trouble.

Muraco: Good veteran wrestlers can always make the necessary adjustments. We're a good team and we know it. We know how to get the job done. And more open contract matches are coming.

Nelson: Wahoo McDaniel and Don Muraco, everybody!

In-Studio: Nelson said it was amazing how Wahoo and Muraco could constantly make adjustments during matches and constantly defeat good competition.

Nelson then said that after the break: an announcement about a big match next week on ASW and the Valentine-Baron match from SC 4.

Commercials/Market-Specific promos for upcoming house shows/Generic promos for non-house show cities

In-Studio: Nelson announced the next week on the program: Kokina Maximus makes his official ASW debut. Nelson pointed out that Kokina's previous two matches had originally taken place on their ESPN program and were replayed on ASW but next week Kokina would be wrestling on the ASW program.

Nelson then intro'd the match between the debuting Greg Valentine and Baron Von Raschke from SC 4. Said the match turned out to be the Baron's last match and he bids an emotional farewell to the sport at the end of the match.

VIDEO:

(From Super Clash 4 - 10/18/89)

DEBUT MATCH

Greg Valentine vs. Baron Von Raschke

Baron Von Raschke came to the ring to a solid ovation from the crowd. Baron climbed into the ring and walked to a neutral corner.

Greg Valentine came down the aisle to pretty strong boos but also had his fans. Valentine climbed in the ring and went to a neutral corner.

Nelson intro'd the Baron. Nice response from the crowd as Baron did the goose-step (try doing that as a face today) and did the claw gesture with his right hand.

Nelson then intro'd Valentine to mainly boos. Valentine stepped out of he corner and did the Ric Flair spread the arms out wide and spin around in his robe.

Valentine and Von Raschke removed their robes and Von Raschke pulled on the top rope to stretch a little as the ref called for the bell.

Crowd buzzing as the two men came out and circled one another. Greg took a swipe at Baron but the Baron evaded it.

The two continued to circle one another and then engaged in a collar-and-elbow tie-up. Greg gained the advanatage and drove Baron against the ropes. Ref ordered a break. Clean break. The two circled each other once again and engaged in another collar-and-elbow tie-up. After a brief struggle, Greg was able to catch Baron in a hammerlock. Greg tightened up on the hold but Baron refused to submit. Baron was then able to maneuver around and reverse the hold and lock Greg in the hammerlock. Baron took Greg down in the hold. Baron cranked away on Greg's left arm and Greg was squirming. Ref asked if Greg gave up and Greg said no. Baron, still holding Greg in the hammerlock, proceeded to drive a series of swinging knees into Greg's back. Baron released the hold. Greg made it to his feet and was shaking out his left arm from the effects of the hammerlock. Baron moved in on Greg and Greg quickly leaned out between the top and middle rope. Ref ordered Baron back. Greg still shaking out his left arm. Greg slowly pulled his upper body back into the ring. Baron started to move on Greg and Greg again leaned out through the top and middle rope and the ref ordered Baron back once more. Greg yelled at the ref to: Keep that Kraut away from me! Greg slowly pulled his upper body back into the ring. Baron again moved on Greg and Greg feigned he was going to stick his upper body out through the ropes again and Baron hesitated and Greg stunned Baron with a kick to the gut. Baron doubled over holding his gut. Greg moved in and hit Baron with a series of elbows to the back of the neck, the last one dropping Baron to a knee. Baron holding the back of his neck. Greg snapped Baron up and nailed Baron with a suplex. Greg up and nailed Baron with an elbow smash across the chest. Greg up, pointed at the ropes, ran and hit the ropes and came off with a running elbow smash that connected. Greg for the cover. 1...2... Baron kicked out. Greg snapped up Baron and slammed Baron's head into the top buckle. Baron turned around and Greg blasted Baron with a chop. Baron eye's suddenly widened and his body seemed to stiffen. Crowd buzzing like a driver coming home from a bar on Friday night. Valentine hit Baron with another chest chop and again the Baron stiffened. Greg then reared back for a third chop and the Baron again no-sold it. Baron goose-stepped out of the corner to the delight of the crowd. Greg then grabbed Baron and went to whip Baron into the opposite buckles but Baron reversed and sent Greg crashing into them. Baron moved in and hit Greg with a series of shoulder blocks to the gut. Baron then went to lock Greg in the Iron Claw but Greg got his arms up and crossed in an 'X' formation to block the move. Greg went down to his ass in the corner and quickly rolled under the bottom rope and dropped to the floor.

Crowd into the match. Greg walking around on the floor as the Baron gestured for him to get back in the ring. Ref started the 10-count. Count grew and Greg climbed up on the apron and quickly got into the ring and tackled baron to the mat and the two rolled around engaging in a wild punch exchange. Ref trying to get them separated. The two finally separated and both men got to their feet and briefly shook out the effects of the match. Baron moved in on Greg and Greg stunned Baron with another chest chop. This time, Baron felt it. Greg then fired away with a series of chest chops on the Baron, the last one knocking Baron to the mat. Greg quickly moved in and grabbed Baron's right leg and yanked on it a few times and then went to lock Baron in the figure 4 but Baron reached up and caught Greg in a small package for the pin. 1...2... Greg kicked out. Fans groaned. Both men up and and Greg caught Baron with a shot to the gut. Greg went to whip Baron into the ropes but Baron reversed and caught Greg coming off with a high backdrop. Greg crashed to the mat. Greg up and Baron caught Greg with a couple of head shots that drove Greg next to the ropes. Baron leaned Greg back across the top rope and blasted Greg with a series of forearm smashes to the chest. Greg staggered off holding his chest. Baron grabbed Greg and went to whip Greg into the ropes but Greg reversed and looked to catch the Baron coming off with a high backdrop but the Baron leapfrogged Greg. Greg up and turned and the Baron stunned Greg by catching Greg in the Iron Claw. Crowd popped big-time for the old German. Greg struggling to free himself from the hold. Greg maeuvered close enough to get his hand on the top rope to try and force a break but Baron yanked Greg away from the ropes still locked in the hold. Crowd cheering even louder.

Greg started to weaken in the hold and was getting desperate.

Marshall: The Baron might just pull this off!

Greg went down to a knee and then fell back while still locked in the hold. Greg was able to reached over and grab the middle rope and force a break. Crowd groaned. Ref ordered the Baron back as Greg was still leaned against the ropes shaking out the effects of the Iron Claw. Greg slowly to his feet. Ref aksed Greg if he could continue and Greg nodded and said 'yes'. Greg and Baron circled one another and engaged in another collar-and-elbow tie-up and Baron quickly gained the advantage and caught Greg in a side headlock but Greg countered with a belly-to-back suplex. Baron up facing away from Greg and Greg moved in behind Baron and nailed Baron with a chop block to the back of the knee area. Baron crumpled to the mat. Greg went over and stomped on Baron's right knee, grabbed Baron's right leg and yanked on it a few times and then locked Baron in the figure 4. Most of the crowd roaring for Baron to not submit. Baron fighting hard through the pain. Baron not giving up. Baron then started to reverse the hold. Crowd cheering Baron on. Greg fought against the hold being reversed. A struggle ensued. Just as it appeared that Baron would complete the reversal, Greg was able to shift his weight and regain control of the hold. Crowd groaned.

A few seconds later...

it was all over as Baron could no longer stand the pain and shook his head 'yes' and cried out 'yes' to the ref. Ref called for the bell.

Valentine released the hold and got to his feet. Ref raised Valentine's hand in victory. Baron still down. Valentine left the ring, Stood on the apron and raised his arms victoriously in the air to mainly boos. Valentine then left the scene and disappeared to the back.

WINNER: Valentine - Submission - 11:02

POST-MATCH:

Baron had started to recover and got to his hands and knees. Ref went to help Baron up but Baron waved off the ref. Baron, on shaky legs, made it to his feet as the crowd looked on. Ref said something to Baron and Baron said something in return and the ref left the ring. Baron was limping. Baron stood center ring and looked out at the crowd.

Marshall: Baron sure is staying in that ring a long time. Wait a minute...

Crowd cheered Baron. Baron then walked/limped over to a corner and sat down. He briefly bowed his head and then looked up. His eyes were glistening. Baron then started to untie his boot laces. The announcers remained silent. Baron took off his boots and, with the aid of the ropes, made it to his feet. Baron hobbled out to mid-ring and placed his boots there. Baron looked out at the crowd once more. Shot of some fans crying at the moment. Baron then made the Iron Claw gesture one more time as the fans popped and chanted: Baron! Baron! Baron!

Baron then left the ring and dropped to the floor. He was still limping from the effects of the figure 4. Shot of the Baron from behind as he made his way back up the face aisle.

Shot of Baron's ring boots left in the middle of the ring as the fans continued to chant his name as the program faded to black.

END PROGRAM
Edited by piperrulz

1671840428271.png

(NOTE:
IRL, these tapings would have taken place in late October/early November before the sale of the AWA was agreed upon.)

(2nd Taping Re-cap)

Show Intro:

SC 4 INSTANT CLASSIC! Col. DeBeers vs. Tom Zenk

Ken Patera & Brad Rheingans see action

An announcement about the AWA Women's World Championship match between Wendi Richter (WC) and Magnificent Mimi

Tommy Rich reveals his tag team partner for his match against Lee Marshall & ???

Also! An interview with Jerry Lawler that took place after his match at SC 4

The Top Guns wrestle

Jonnie Stewart laces 'em up

PWI's Bill Apter has more on the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament in Feb. '90

And more!

Nelson then sent it to the Showboat in Vegas!

Larry Zbyszko won a squash match over Larry Flynt via pinfall with his piledriver finisher

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson:
Larry Zbyszko, we all witnessed what you did recently to The Trooper Del Wilkes.

The attack was excessive. We also hear the AWA has fined you for your actions.

Zbyszko: They did fine me! They can fine me all they want!

It gave me a great deal of pleasure to do what I did to The Trooper!

Nelson: A great deal of pleasure?! What you did to that man was sadistic!

Zbyszko: Every time I hit The Trooper with that steel chair it was for all the victims of police brutality!

Nelson: Wow! The Trooper never brutalized anyone!

Zbyszko: Doesn't matter, Nelson! It's what The Trooper represents! And he represents out of control authority!

Nelson: I'm at a loss...

Zbyszko: Shut up, then, and let me do the talking!

Crowd booing loudly.

Zbyszko: The same cop who puts his arm around you and says everything is OK won't hesitate to turn around the next day and bang you upside the head with his night stick if he's told to do so by his bosses!

More boos.

Nelson: These fans are irate at you, Larry! Listen to 'em!

Booing got louder.

Zbyszko: These morons, by booing me, are actually cheering for police brutality!

Nelson: Whoa! That was Larry Zbyszko, everybody!

Booing continued.

In-Studio: Nelson said that the fan heat in the Showboat was so hot that he felt safer in the ring during the incendiary DeBeers interview last week.

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... TOURNAMENT UPDATE!

Commercials

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd a Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament Update.

VIDEO:

Video opened with Bill Apter standing in front of the PWI logo. Apter was dressed in street clothes and holding a mic.

Bill: This is Bill Apter of Pro Wrestling Illustrated with this week's update on the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament.

The event takes place Saturday,
February 17th, at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, CA.

The 16-man tournament will take place over two sessions in one day.

The first session will begin at 12:30pm and will feature the opening round of the tournament and the night time session, which will feature the quarterfinals, semi-finals and final and has a bell time of 7:30pm.

It promises to be a great day of professional wrestling.

Here's some news regarding the tournament itself.

Some wrestlers, selected by a committee, will automatically be entered into the tournament. Others will wrestle in qualifying matches on AWA programming In January.

Wrestlers from all over the globe are contacting the AWA to be part of this historic event.

Tournaments have always been a great part of the pro wrestling. They can be tough, grueling.

The winner of the tournament and inaugural Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion will have to win four matches in one day against quality opposition. To say that's a tall order would be an understatement.

If you want to see the tournament in person, tickets can be purchased through Ticket Master or the Anaheim Convention Center box office. The box office number is (714) 555-1812.

It's gonna be a great, full day of action on February 17th! Be part of it!

In-Studio: Larry Nelson talked about how much he's looking forward to the tournament and hopes he doesn't get arrested for a DUI before it happens.

Nelson then sent it back to the Showboat in Las Vegas.

The Top Guns (Derrick Dukes & Ricky Rice) won a squash match via pinfall over Mr. Carlin and Howard Borden when Dukes pinned Borden after a double dropkick

Announcers played up the feud between the Top Guns and Badd Co. during the match.

Pic aired of Jerry Lawler with the caption: NEXT... LAWLER'S REACTION!

Commercials

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd the post-match interview with Jerry Lawler after Lawler lost the match to determine the undisputed AWA World Champion to Sgt. Slaughter at Super Clash 4.

VIDEO:

(Recorded 10-18-89 at SC 4)

Jerry Lawler was standing in the dressing room with AWA announcer Eric Bischoff.

Lawler was still in his tights but had the straps pulled down.

Bischoff: Jerry, we know emotions are raw right now. But can you tell us what you're thinking?

Lawler: First, I want to congratulate Sgt. Slaughter on winning the match and becoming the undisputed AWA World Champion. He was the better man tonight.

Bischoff: Everyone was shocked when you congratulated Slaughter in the ring for winning the match.

No one really seemed to know how to react to it because of the bad blood between you two the last several months.

Lawler: You can have serious differences with an opponent but you can also respect them.

I knew beating Sgt. Slaughter would not be easy. My goal heading into the match was to get into his head and mess with his mind. Ring psychology is a very real thing.

When you come into a big match like we had tonight and you're running on an overwhelming amount of aggressiveness and emotion that can lead to making serious mistakes and costing you in the end. My goal was to get Sgt. Slaughter to overplay his hand.

But as you can see he wrestled a fantastic match. I tip my hat to him. The end result speaks for itself.

Bischoff: Do you intend to trigger the re-match clause that's in the championship match contract anytime soon?

Lawler: I'm gonna take a little time off and concentrate on other things going on in my life.

But, to answer your question: yes, I will be triggering the re-match clause at some point in the near future and I'm gonna work hard to ensure a different outcome.

Bischoff: Jerry Lawler, thank you for your time.

Lawler: Thank you, Eric.

END VIDEO

In-Studio:
Nelson talked about how surprised he was that Lawler was so gracious in defeat.

Nelson then sent it back to the Showboat in Vegas.

Jonnie Stewart won a squash match over Richard Moll via pinfall with his flying knee to the gut finisher.

Announcers wondered if Stewart loaded his knee pad before hitting his finisher on Moll.

Announcers also played up Stewart calling himself the Wrestler of the '90s.

Pic aired of Tommy Rich with the caption: NEXT... RICH'S REVEAL!

Commercials

IT'S THE AWA ON TOUR! We'll be at the high school/community center/county fair/used car dealership parking lot/church fellowship hall in (insert town here). THE AWA IS THE MAJOR LEAGUE OF PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING!

In-ring: Larry Nelson was standing with AWA announcer Lee Marshall.

Nelson: It is now time for Tommy Rich to reveal who his tag team partner will be for his match against Lee Marshall and a partner of his choosing.

Lee, have you found a tag team partner yet?

Marshall: I'm still in the process of looking, Larry. There's a lot of good wrestling talent out there.

Right now, I'm pairing my list down to a few men who I'd like to ask to tag with me.

Nelson: OK. Hope you find a partner soon, Lee.

Now, would Tommy Rich come to the ring.

After a brief pause, Rich made his way down the heel aisle to the ring in street clothes. He was roundly booed. Rich climbed into the ring and briefly played to the disdainful crowd.

Nelson: Tommy, you promised to reveal your tag team partner tonight.

Is he here?

Rich: He is here.

And I just wanted to say: Lee Marshall...you just made the biggest mistake of your life, son! Hahaha!

The man who will be my tag team partner in our match is...well...a little off.

Nelson: What do you mean by that, Tommy?

Rich: This man has no respect for his own body and has even less respect for the bodies of others!

He'll do anything...and I mean anything...to win a match.

I've never seen a wrestler like this in my life. But I knew he's who I wanted as a partner.

He's a daredevil and he's as crazy as they come. He loves to hurt people.

Marshall looked concerned.

Rich: I'm gonna enjoy watching what he does to you, Lee Marshall. It's gonna hurt...a lot!

You've never suffered like you're gonna suffer in our match.

Without further ado, I give you my tag team partner...Cactus Jack!

Jack came out to a mix of boos and cheers from the people in the crowd who knew who he was. He was in his ring attire.

Jack climbed into the ring and he and Rich embraced and shared a wicked laugh.

Nelson: Cactus Jack! I must say it's shocking to see you!

Jack: You didn't see me coming, did you, Larry Nelson?! Bang bang!

When Tommy called me and told me about needing a partner for a match and that one of the wrestlers was gonna be an announcer I jumped at the chance!

You see, I hate announcers! They lie! They always try and make me look bad! They run me down; say bad things about me! They always praise my opponents! They call me crazy because of the way I wrestle!

Well, Lee Marshall, you're about to get a clinic in Cactus Jack 101! I'm going to throw you around like a rag doll! I'm going to hurt you...both in the ring and out of it!

This is my chance to harm an announcer without being fined or fired! I live for moments like this! I dream about maiming announcers in my sleep!

Lee Marshall, announcer scum, prepare for my dreams to become your nightmare! Bang bang!

Nelson: Anything to say, Lee?

Marshall had a look of stunned, horrified disbelief on his face.

Marshall: I'm don't know what to say right now.

Rich: Lee, just make sure the partner you get has a good life insurance policy! Hahaha!

Pic aired of Patera and Rheingans with the caption: NEXT... THE OLYMPIANS!

Commercials

Ken Patera and Brad Rheingans won a squash match over Junior Samples and Count Floyd via pinfall when Rheingans pinned Floyd with his fisherman suplex into a bridgeout (Perfect Plex) finisher

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson:
Ken Patera and Brad Rheingans! You guys have been having a war of words recently with the World Tag Champions The Destruction Crew.

Patera: Let's not forget, Larry, that the war of words between our teams is because they attacked us on two occasions!

The Destruction Crew keeps talking about giving us any kind of match we want...

Nelson: Wait a minute! Here come the champions!

Destruction Crew, in street clothes and with belts in tow, made their way down the heel aisle and climbed into the ring to pretty strong boos but they also had their fans.

Nelson: This is not your interview time...

Enos: Shut up, Nelson! We got something to say to these chumps!

Patera: Go ahead and say it!

Both sides were ready to fight if the need arose.

Bloom: Me and Mike are tired of talkin'! It's time to fight!

Buzz rippled through the already buzzed crowd.

Rheingans: Just name the time and the place, boys! We'll be there!

Bloom: Get Verne Gagne out here now!

Nelson: Could Verne Gagne please come to the ring.

The two sides were glaring at each other and having words off-mic when Gagne, in a suit, made his way down the face aisle to the ring. Verne climbed in.

Verne: Wayne and Mike, what do you want?

Bloom: We called you out here because we want a match with these two!

Verne: What kind of match did you have in mind?

Bloom: You guys said we could pick the type of match, right?

Patera: You pick it!

Bloom: We'll give you guys a match...but it won't be for the belts!

Crowd booed.

Rheingans: We told you guys if you wanted it to be non-title we'd still fight you! We just want you in the squared circle!

Some cheers.

Verne: So, both sides agree on a non-title match, correct?

Both sides agreed.

Verne: That's fine. It will be the champs The Destruction Crew vs. The Olympians in a non-title match.

Some cheers and some boos.

Enos: Great! Patera and Rheingans, prepare for the beating of a lifetime!

Patera: You guys better realize that once that bell rings it could be you receiving the beating of your lives!

Crowd cheered as the two sides started shoving each other.

Verne: Stop it right now!

Sides backed off the shoving match.

Bloom: You guys are about to step on a landmine! BOOM!

The shoving began again between the two sides as the crowd cheered.

Verne: Enough!

Save it for your match!

Now, I have decided that if Ken Patera and Brad Rheingans win the non-title match...they will get a tag team title shot against you!

Crowd cheered.

Bloom: Wait! We never said anything about a title match if they beat us!

Enos: Yeah! We only offered them a non-title match and they accepted!

Verne: Bloom and Enos! I'm the promoter and what I say is final!

Patera: You boys heard the man! See you then!

Destruction Crew beside themselves and Patera and Rheingans briefly played to the crowd as the interview ended.

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... DEBEERS VS. ZENK FROM SC 4!

Commercials

In-Studio: Nelson announced that in two weeks on the AWA on ESPN Wendi Richter would defend the AWA Women's World Title against Magnificent Mimi.

PLUS! Non-Title: The Destruction Crew (WTTC) vs. Patera and Rheingans

Hyped for next week: A special interview with Baron Von Raschke

PLUS! Greg Valentine makes his AWA on ESPN debut

AND...

Cactus Jack wrestles as well

Nelson then intro'd the DeBeers-Zenk match from SC 4 with its controversial ending.

THIS IS WAR!

Col. DeBeers vs. Tom Zenk

A 15/85 split cheers to boos as Col. DeBeers made his way down the heel aisle to the ring.

DeBeers climbed up on the apron and looked out at the crowd twirling his 'stache while announced by Larry Nelson.

DeBeers climbed into the ring. More boos and some trash thrown his way.

Nelson: And his opponent!

Tom Zenk came charging down the face aisle. Nelson didn't even finish the introduction of Zenk before Zenk hit the ring. DeBeers charged at Zenk and went to punch Zenk but Zenk blocked the punch try and fired away on DeBeers with a series punches that dropped the Col. Ref called for the bell. DeBeers up next to the ropes and Zenk charged over and blasted DeBeers with a running clothesline that sent DeBeers head-over-heels crashing to the floor. Fans into it. Zenk ignored the ref and dropped to the floor and grabbed DeBeers and sent DeBeers crashing into the ring steps. Ref started the 10-count. DeBeers down next to the steps. Zenk snapped up DeBeers and slammed DeBeers head into the top step. Zenk then grabbed DeBeers and threw DeBeers back into the ring. DeBeers to his feet as Zenk climbed back in. DeBeers started to back up and was begging off until he'd backed himself into the corner. Zenk moved in and raised his right fist and looked to the crowd for approval. With the exception of those who supported Apartheid*, the rest of the crowd roared. Zenk popped DeBeers with a head shot and then mounted the middle buckle and popped DeBeers with another 10 head shots as those who weren't for Apartheid counted along. Zenk dropped back to the mat and pulled the stunned DeBeers out of the corner and whipped DeBeers into the ropes. DeBeers caught the top rope and held on. Zenk charged at DeBeers and DeBeers backdropped Zenk over the top rope down to the floor. Zenk down on the concrete. DeBeers shook out the early Zenk assault in the ring as the ref started the 10-count. Zenk slow to get up. DeBeers went to leave the ring but the ref stopped him. Ref ordered DeBeers back. Zenk up next to the apron. Ref re-started the 10-count. DeBeers over and stomped Zenk in the head, ignored the ref and dropped to the floor. DeBeers clocked Zenk with a forearm smash to the back and then whipped Zenk at the ring post and Zenk slammed shoulder-first into the post and staggered off. Ref had re-started the 10-count. DeBeers quickly rolled in and out of the ring to break the count. DeBeers stalked Zenk and came up behind Zenk and popped him with a punch to the side of the ribs. DeBeers then grabbed Zenk around the waist and and deliberately slammed Zenk back-first into the ring apron twice. Zenk dropped to a knee on the floor. DeBeers again rolled into and out of the ring to break the 10-count. The pro-Apartheid crowd in attendance was now loving it.

DeBeers snapped Zenk up and went to whip Zenk into the post again but Zenk reversed and sent DeBeers slamming head-first into the post. Zenk fell back against the apron as DeBeers went down on the floor. Ref counting. Zenk quickly rolled in and out of the ring to break the 10-count. DeBeers on his hands and knees on the floor and Zenk pulled DeBeers by the hair and...SURPRISE!...another fire gruden special...DeBeers was bleeding. Zenk threw DeBeers back into the ring. Zenk climbed in and DeBeers swung widly at Zenk and missed and spun himsefl around and Zenk popped DeBeers with an atomic drop. DeBeers dropped to his knees holding the jewels. Zenk then popped DeBeers in the head with more punches. Zenk snapped up DeBeers and slammed DeBeers head into the top buckle. DeBeers spun around in the corner and Zenk hit DeBeers with a trio of deliberate shoulder blocks to the gut. Zenk whipped DeBeers into the opposite corner and charged and looked to blast DeBeers with a running shoulder block but DeBeers moved and Zenk crashed shoulder-first into the ring post. Zenk with his shoulder practically welded to the post. DeBeers shook out the effects of the violent match and grabbed Zenk and rolled Zenk up from behind for the pin. 1... DeBeers grabbed a handful of tights. ...2... Zenk got a shoulder up. DeBeers tried again for the pin and once again grabbed a handful of tights. 1...2... Zenk kicked DeBeers off and DeBeers slammed back-first into the buckles. Zenk to his feet. Both men feeling the effects of the match and not no-selling like the grapplers of today. Zenk moved in on DeBeers and DeBeers caught Zenk with a kick to the gut. Zenk stumbled back holding his gut. DeBeers moved out and caught Zenk with a couple of bionic elbows to the top of the head. Zenk stunned. DeBeers went to whip Zenk into the buckles but Zenk reversed and DeBeers crashed front-first into the buckles and crashed to the mat. Zenk briefly shaking out the effects of the match as DeBeers got to his feet. DeBeers moved in and went to punch Zenk but Zenk blocked the punch try and Zenk fired back on DeBeers with a series of punches that drove DeBeers into the corner. Zenk reared back and hit DeBeers with a big right hand that dropped the Colonel. DeBeers rolled out on the apron. Ref ordered Zenk to stand back. Zenk tried to grab DeBeers but the ref stood in between him and DeBeers. Zenk arguing with the ref. DeBeers made it to his feet facing the crowd.

DeBeers reached into the side pocket of his camo pants and quickly pulled out his hand.

Marshall: Wait a minute! What's that blue stuff on DeBeers' thumb?!

Blears: I have no idea.

DeBeers still facing the crowd when Zenk came up behind DeBeers and spun DeBeers around with the ref in between the pair. Zenk trying to pull DeBeers back into the ring. Ref caught in the middle. DeBeers quickly jabbed his blue thumb in Zenk's eye. Zenk stumbled back and crashed to the mat holding his eye. DeBeers calmly climbed back into the ring. Zenk in great pain and down on the mat. DeBeers reached down, grabbed Zenk, hoisted Zenk up and blasted Zenk with his face-first piledriver finisher. DeBeers rolled Zenk over on his back for the cover. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell. Pro-Apartheid crowd cheered their hero as the rest of the crowd booed. Zenk still down holding his eye. DeBeers made sure the ref raised his left hand for obvious reasons.

Marshall: What in the world did DeBeers just do to Zenk's eye?!

Blears: We don't know what that stuff is, Lee. But it's clear that it helped in giving DeBeers the victory.

DeBeers left the ring and dropped to the floor and was quickly approached by Larry Nelson.

Nelson: Col. DeBeers! What did you stick in Tom Zenk's...

DeBeers: Shut up! What the people just witnessed in that ring was a victory for decency and morality over vile, shallow American decadence!

The people in this crowd worship at the altar of chemically enhanced muscleheads like Zenk and negro athletes like those on the Green Bay Packers! It's disgusting! Shame on them!

Most of the crowd went nuclear. A beer was flung in the Colonel's direction and splashed both he and Nelson.

Nelson: I think that was intended for you!

Why do you have your thumb wrapped up in your fist?

DeBeers: That is classified!

DeBeers turned and walked off. More garbage flung at him.

Shot of Zenk being attended to in the ring by the ref.

Nelson: If we find out anything during the broadcast regarding what DeBeers had on his thumb when he stuck it in Zenk's eye as well as Zenk's status, I'll pass the news along.

WINNER: DeBeers - Pinfall - 11:33

END PROGRAM

1671840741359.png

BANG BANG!!!
Edited by piperrulz
  • Like 2

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY READERS!!!
ENJOY THESE CLASSIC CHRISTMAS NIGHT WRESTLING MEMORIES!!!

Kevin Sullivan vs. Dusty Rhodes: Steel Cage Loser Leaves Town Match - Florida - 1982:

Ric Flair defends the NWA World Title against David Von Erich - World Class - Dallas - 1983:

• Like 1

1671665700022.png

(NOTE: Most of the stuff on this program already aired on the ESPN program. Only the squashes, Kokina match and interviews are new.)

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING SYNDICATED TAPING RESULTS - MUNCIE, IN - IRVING GYMNASIUM - NOVEMBER 1989

(2nd Taping Re-cap)

Show Intro

In-Studio
- Larry Nelson welcomed viewers and ran down the program:

ASW Exclusive! Kokina Maximus wrestles his first official match on ASW (match will be shown nowhere else except in illegal tape trading circles! 😂)

Badd Company sees action

Another Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament Update with PWI's Bill Apter

Heidi Lee Morgan wrestles

Jerry Lawler comments on his loss to Sgt. Slaughter at Super Clash 4

The Guerrero Bros. wrestle

Another Tommy Rich-Lee Marshall Update

And more!

Nelson then sent it to the ring in Muncie.

Greg Gagne and Jake Milliman won a squash match over Morey Amsterdam and Mel Cooley via submission when Greg put Cooley out with the Gagne Sleeper.

Before the match, Milliman ripped his 'Milkmania' t-shirt off and threw it into the crowd and struck some pre-match poses.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Greg Gagne, Jake Milliman. Another impressive performance by you two.

Jake, milk sure is doing a body good in your case.

Jake: It sure is, Larry!

And I don't go for the soft stuff, no sir! I go for the hard stuff!

Nelson: The hard stuff?

Jake: Yep! I only do 2% milk! No skim milk for the Jakester!

Skim milk is for wussies!

But the 2%...brother! That's the drink of universal manliness!

Nelson: Greg, you put Mel Cooley out with the Gagne Sleeper. You were taught that by your dad, Verne Gagne.

Greg: My dad did teach me that sleeper, Larry. There are certain nuances when applying that hold that make it different from the traditional sleeper.

Nelson: Can you tell us what those nuances are?

Greg: Those are family trade secrets, Larry.

Jake: And Greg's been enjoying lots of the white stuff lately. And that allows him to apply that sleeper with an even stronger grip!

Greg nodded in agreement.

Nelson: Greg Gagne and Jake 'Milkman' Milliman, everybody!

Crowd cheered as Jake did more poses.

Pic aired of former AWA World Champion Jerry Lawler with the caption: NEXT... LAWLER REACTS!!!

Commercials

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd the post-match interview with Jerry Lawler after Lawler lost the match to determine the undisputed AWA World Champion to Sgt. Slaughter at Super Clash 4.

VIDEO:

(Recorded 10-18-89 at SC 4)

Jerry Lawler was standing in the dressing room with AWA announcer Eric Bischoff.

Lawler was still in his tights but had the strap pulled down.

Bischoff: Jerry, we know emotions are raw right now. But can you tell us what you're thinking?

Lawler: First, I want to congratulate Sgt. Slaughter on winning the match and becoming the undisputed AWA World Champion. He was the better man tonight.

Bischoff: Everyone was shocked when you congratulated Slaughter in the ring for winning the match.

No one really seemed to know how to react to it because of the bad blood between you two the last several months.

Lawler: You can have serious differences with an opponent but you can also respect them.

I knew beating Sgt. Slaughter would not be easy. My goal heading into the match was to get into his head and mess with his mind. Ring psychology is a very real thing.

When you come into a big match like we had tonight and you're running on an overwhelming amount of aggressiveness and emotion that can lead to making serious mistakes and costing you in the end. My goal was to get Sgt. Slaughter to overplay his hand.

But as you can see he wrestled a fantastic match. I tip my hat to him. The end result speaks for itself.

Bischoff: Do you intend to trigger the re-match clause that's in the championship match contract anytime soon?

Lawler: I'm gonna take a little time off and concentrate on other things going on in my life.

But, to answer your question: yes, I will be triggering the re-match clause at some point in the near future and I'm gonna work hard to ensure a different outcome.

Bischoff: Jerry Lawler, thank you for your time.

Lawler: Thank you, Eric.

END VIDEO

In-Studio:
Nelson talked about how surprised he was that Lawler was so gracious in defeat.

Then sent it back to the ring in Muncie.

Heidi Lee Morgan won a squash match over Chrissy Snow via pinfall with a diving splash off the middle rope

Pic aired of the AWA logo: NEXT... TOURNAMENT UPDATE!!!

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd a Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament Update.

VIDEO:

Video opened with Bill Apter standing in front of the PWI logo. Apter was dressed in street clothes and holding a mic.

Bill: This is Bill Apter of Pro Wrestling Illustrated with this week's update on the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament.

The event takes place Saturday, February 17th, at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, CA.

The 16-man tournament will take place over two sessions in one day.

The first session will begin at 12:30pm and will feature the opening round of the tournament and the night time session, which will feature the quarterfinals, semi-finals and final and has a bell time of 7:30pm.

It promises to be a great day of professional wrestling.

Here's some news regarding the tournament itself.

Some wrestlers, selected by a committee, will automatically be entered into the tournament. Others will wrestle in qualifying matches on AWA programming In January.

Wrestlers from all over the globe are contacting the AWA to be part of this historic event.

Tournaments have always been a great part of the pro wrestling. They can be tough, grueling.

The winner of the tournament and inaugural Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion will have to win four matches in one day against quality opposition. To say that's a tall order would be an understatement.

If you want to see the tournament in person, tickets can be purchased through Ticket Master or the Anaheim Convention Center box office. The box office number is (714) 555-1812.

It's gonna be a great, full day of action on February 17th! Be part of it!

In-Studio: Larry Nelson talked about how much he's looking forward to the tournament and hopes he doesn't get arrested for a DUI before it happens.

Nelson then sent it back to the ring in Muncie.

The Guerrero Bros. won a squash match over Darren Stevens and Larry Tate via pinfall when Hector pinned Tate with a rolling cradle

Pic aired of Badd Co. & DDP with the caption: NEXT... BADD TIMES AHEAD!

Commercials

Badd Co. (Pat Tanaka & Paul Diamond) w/ Mgr. DDP won a squash match over Jim McMahon and Matt Suhey via pinfall when Tanaka pinned Suhey after the Superkick/Plex (Diamond superkicked Suhey into a bridgeout German suplex by Tanaka)

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Another impressive win by Badd Company. Dallas Page, you have really molded Pat Tanaka and Paul Diamond into a well-oiled machine.

DDP: Of course I've molded them into the premiere tag team in wrestling, Nelson! That's because you're loooking at the premiere manager in this sport!

Nelson: You're still having issues with the Top Guns. They have been a tough team for you guys to handle.

DDP: The Pop Guns may be a good team. But they're not managed by yours truly. Imagine where they'd be if DDP was their manager?

But I'll never be the Pop Guns manager because I loathe the fact that they breathe the same air as I do.

Those boys cost us the World Tag Team Titles and $25 grand of my money!

They're gonna get their comuppance, I can tell you that!

I've ordered my men to inflict $25 grand worth of pain and suffering on Ricky Rice and Derrick Dukes!

Nelson: That's a lot of pain and suffering.

DDP: And they'll deserve every bloody bit of it!

This is no longer about just defeating the Pop Guns! This is now about their total destruction!

Nelson: Dallas Page and Badd Company, everybody!

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... TOMMY & LEE!!!

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd footage from last week's confrontation between Tommy Rich and announcer Lee Marshall from AWA Wrestling on ESPN.

VIDEO:

Crowd popped.

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson then intro'd comments from both men about the situation.

VIDEO:

Video opened with a shot of Lee Marshall, in his announcer tux, standing in front of the AWA logo. He had a mic.

Lee: Well, Tommy Rich has accepted the offer for a tag team match. He gets to choose his partner and I get to choose mine.

I've started looking for a tag team partner. So far, I'm just in the feeling out phase. I want to make sure we're a good fit.

This match means an awful lot to me.

Tommy Rich may be the most disrespectful wrestler I've ever come upon.

He's shown his true character by attacking an announcer. What does that say about him?

I want a match with Tommy. But, I also know that I am not a trained professional wrestler. There's no way I could outwrestle Rich on my own. That's why I asked for this to be a tag team match.

Someone has got to put Tommy Rich in his place.

Pic flipped and Rich was standing in front of a non-descript white wall in the back of an arena. Rich was in street clothes with mic in hand.

Rich: Lee Marshall...boy...are you dumber than you look?! Haha!

Guess what, Lee?!

I've already got my tag team partner for our match!

You heard that right, son!

I looked far and wide in my search for a tag team partner for this match!

I wanted someone who fights according to his own rules and also doesn't suck up and kiss the rear ends of announcers!

Well, I found him, boy!

And next week, right here on AWA Wrestling on ESPN, I'm gonna introduce him to the world!

Lee Marshall! Prepare to receive a cold, hard slap of reality!

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson discussed Rich's partner reveal next week on ASW.

Pic aired of Kokina Maximus with the caption: NEXT... KOKINA!

Commercials

TV MAIN EVENT: Kokina's ASW Debut!

Kokina Maximus (W/ Mgr. Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey & The Masked Doctor) vs. Jeff Gaylord

Shot of a stretcher at ringside. Announcers pointed out that it was at ringside for all Kokina matches.

Gaylord was in the ring and announced.

Loud rumble followed by a volcano-like explosion sound filled the arena as Kokina, Kaissey and the masked doc came out to pretty strong boos but Kokina also had his supporters.

Kokina was in his ring attire; Kaissey in his Arab garb and the doc was in a suit and mask carrying a medical bag.

The trio made their way to the ring with Kaissey leading the way and the doc bringing up the rear with Kokina in the middle.

The trio climbed into the ring. Kaissey had words for Kokina, who said nothing and had a menacing stare on his face aimed at Gaylord.

Kaissey and the masked doc left the ring for the floor.

Ref called for the bell.

The two men came out of their corners and Gaylord cautiously sized up the situation.

Gaylord then struck Kokina with a punch to the face. Kokina briefly flinched but quickly regained his composure. Gaylord struck Kokina with another punch that Kokina no-sold. Kokina then popped Gaylord with a headbutt that staggered Gaylord. Announcers pointed out the impressive size of Gaylord. Kokina picked up Gaylord and bodyslammed him. Kokina then dropped a trio of big elbows across Gaylord's chest. Kokina, snapped up Gaylord, whipped Gaylord into the buckles with such force that Gaylord bounced out of the corner into Kokina's waiting arms. Kokina hoisted Gaylord up and nailed Gaylord with a front powerslam. Kokina for the cover. 1...2...thr... Kokina pulled Gaylord up by the hair. Ref reprimanded Kokina. Announcers pointed out that Kokina loves to torture his opponents. Kokina snatched up Gaylord and blasted Gaylord with another headbutt. Gaylord crashed down next to the ropes and rolled over on his front side. Kokina grabbed the top rope and stood on Gaylord's back. Gaylord yelling out in pain. Kokina broke the illegal move at the ref's count of 4. Kokina turned and glared at the ref. Gaylord grabbed Kokina's ankle and Kokina kicked him off like a ragdoll. Kokina stomped Gaylord in the head. Gaylord rolled out on the ring apron. Ref ordered Kokina back and Kokina obeyed. Ref started the 10-count. Count grew and Gaylord unsteadily made it to his feet with the aid of the ropes. Gaylord up and Kokina went over and popped Gaylord with a punch, grabbed Gaylord and threw him back into the ring. Ref briefly checked on Gaylord and allowed the match to continue.

Marshall: They really need to stop this, Lord James.

Blears: Right you are, Lee. He's making a mistake, I believe, by letting the match continue. This is just cruelty on display from Kokina now.

Gaylord struggling to make to to his feet. Kokina moved in with a stiff kick to the side of the ribs. Kokina snatched Gaylrd up and nailed Gaylord with a side slam. Kokina then popped the prone Gaylord with a running legdrop. Kokina up and dragged Gaylord over to the corner. Kokina mounted the middle buckle facing the crowd and popped Gaylord with his Bonzai drop finisher. Kokina sat on Gaylord's chest as the ref counted. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as most of the fans booed. Ref raised Kokina's hand in victory as Kaissey and the masked doc entered the ring.

Kaissey went over and raised Kokina's hand in defiant victory to more boos as the doc checked on Gaylord. Doc pulled a pen light out of his jacket breast pocket and looked into Gaylord's eyes.

Marshall: You can see it in Gaylord's eyes. He's been absolutely demolished.

The doc checked placed two fingers on Gaylord's pulse and then pulled a stethescope out of his bag and checked Gaylord's heart beat. Doc looked up at Kaissey and nodded 'yes' and Kokina grabbed the downed Gaylord as the doc left the ring and pulled the stretcher over to ringside. Kokina pulled Gaylord next to the ropes. Kokina dropped to the floor and pulled Gaylord onto the stretcher.

The victors then left the ringside area and headed back up the heel aisle as the crowd looked on in shock as Kokina wheeled Gaylord to the back.

WINNER: Kokina - Pinfall - 4:32

END PROGRAM
Edited by piperrulz

1671840428271.png

(NOTE: IRL, these tapings would have taken place in later October/early November before the sale of the AWA was agreed upon.)

(3rd Taping Re-cap)

AWA ON ESPN DEBUT MATCH: Greg Valentine

Special video of Wendi Richter (AWA Women's WC) and Magnificent Mimi preparing for their title clash next week; plus comments from both women

A special interview with Baron Von Raschke

A look back at last week's reveal of Cactus Jack as Tommy Rich's tag team partner for their match against announcer Lee Marshall & ???

Cactus Jack sees action

Tommy Jammer wrestles

Another Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament Update with PWI's Bill Apter

And more!

Nelson then sent it to the Showboat Sports Pavilion.

Tom Zenk won a squash match over Remington Steele via pinfall with a missle dropkick

Zenk came to the ring carrying the padded manilla envelope.

After the match, Zenk picked up the envelope out of the corner.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Tom Zenk, you looked really sharp and I noticed an edge to your wrestling in beating Remington Steele.

Zenk: See this envelope, Larry?

Nelson: Is that the envelope that contains the coal miner's glove?

Zenk reached in the envelope and pulled out the glove.

Zenk: It is the envelope and its contents that was delivered to me here in this ring just before my match with Col. DeBeers at Super Clash 4.

As you know, DeBeers defeated me in that match thanks to some blue substance he put on his thumb and jabbed me in the eye with.

Well, I've been looking at this coal miner's glove every day since that match.

The coal miner's glove match is said to be the specialty of South African wrestlers.

You may also remember when DeBeers used a glove similar to this to injure my face and put me in a hard plastic match for several weeks a while back.

These gloves are lined with a hard substance because they're used for mining.

So, Col. DeBeers I am out here tonight to offer you a challenge.

I want to face you, Colonel, in a coal miner's glove match!

Crowd cheered.

Nelson: Whoa! You want to face DeBeers in a match that is his specialty?

Zenk: That's right!

So, come on, DeBeers! Sign on the dotted line and let's have this match!

Nelson: The way to win the match is to climb up a pole, grab the glove and use it on your opponent! That glove is quite a weapon!

Zenk: I know that because I've felt the pain this thing can inflict!

I want to use this glove to inflict the same kind of pain on DeBeers!

So, Colonel, the ball is in your court!

Be the man you claim you are and face me in a coal miner's glove match!

And I want to say one more thing!

DeBeers comes out here and insults Americans of all races! This is the greatest country in the world because people from all over the world helped make it great!

I am fighting for the American people!

More cheers.

Nelson: Tom Zenk, everybody!

Pic aired of the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship belt with the caption: NEXT... TOURNAMENT UPDATE!

Commercials

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd the newest Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tourney Update with PWI's Bill Apter.

PRO WRESTLING HERITAGE CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT UPDATE

Apter was standing in front of the PWI logo with mic in hand and wearing a suit.

Apter: Hello.

This is Bill Apter with this week's Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament Update.

The event will take place on Saturday, February 17th of next year at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California.

The event will be a two-session, one-day event. Bell time for the afternoon session will be at 12:30pm Pacific Time and the night session will take place at 7:30pm Pacific Time.

Tickets are now on sale for this historic event and you can secure your seats today by contacting Ticket Master or the Anaheim Convention Center box office at (714) 555-1812.

Each passing week brings us closer to the tournament and if you're a wrestling fan you'll want to be there to see it.

As mentioned last week, in January of next year, eight qualifying matches will be held to determine who gets eight of the 16 slots in the tournament.

The other eight slots will be filled on an invitation-only basis.

Wrestlers from all over the world are contacting the AWA to be part of this event.

This will truly be a global event as several promotions will be represented.

It's not gonna be a tournament featuring only wrestlers from one promotion.

The excitement is building, fans!

The Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship is a belt that will represent the glorious history of this great sport of ours!

And next week, I'm gonna have a big announcement about the tournament. You won't want to miss the update!

Anaheim is a great place to visit, especially during the winter months.

Come on out and enjoy the sun, warm temperatures, great food, Disneyland, the beaches and so much more!

It promises to be a good time for all!

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... A DANGEROUS MAN!

Commercials

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd video from last week of Tommy Rich's reveal of his tag partner for his match against announcer Lee Marshall and a partner of his choosing.

Nelson: It is now time for Tommy Rich to reveal who his tag team partner will be for his match against Lee Marshall and a partner of his choosing.

Marshall: I'm still in the process of looking, Larry. There's a lot of good wrestling talent out there.

Right now, I'm pairing my list down to a few men who I'd like to ask to tag with me.

After a brief pause, Rich made his way down the heel aisle to the ring in street clothes. He was roundly booed. Rich climbed into the ring and briefly played to the disdainful crowd.

Is he here?

And I just wanted to say: Lee Marshall...you just made the biggest mistake of your life, son! Hahaha!

Rich: This man has no respect for his own body and has even less respect for the bodies of others!

I've never seen a wrestler like this in my life. But I knew he's who I wanted as a partner.

Rich: I'm gonna enjoy watching what he does to you, Lee Marshall. It's gonna hurt...a lot!

Jack came out to a mix of boos and cheers from the people in the crowd who knew who he was. He was in his ring attire.

When Tommy called me and told me about needing a partner for a match and that one of the wrestlers was gonna be an announcer I jumped at the chance!

You see, I hate announcers! They lie! They always try and make me look bad! They run me down; say bad things about me! They always praise my opponents! They call me crazy because of the way I wrestle!

Well, Lee Marshall, you're about to get a clinic in Cactus Jack 101! I'm going to throw you around like a rag doll! I'm going to hurt you...both in the ring and out of it!

This is my chance to harm an announcer without being fined or fired! I live for moments like this! I dream about maiming announcers in my sleep!

Lee Marshall, announcer scum, prepare for my dreams to become your nightmare! Bang bang!

Rich: Lee, just make sure the partner you get has a good life insurance policy! Hahaha!

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd Cactus Jack in action in Vegas.

Cactus Jack (w/ Tommy Rich in street clothes) won a squash match over Rick Astley via pinfall with a double arm DDT

Cactus did some of his wild moves, including his running elbow smash off the apron to a prone opponent on the concrete floor; his running clothesline that sent both men over the top rope crashing to the floor; trademark biting; violently rubbed his opponent's face into the mat; did the Bang! Bang! and even a  couple of wrestling moves were thrown in.

After the pinfall, Jack joined Rich at ringside.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Cactus Jack! I am stunned by what I just saw! Are you sure you're playing with a full deck?!

Jack: You mean am I crazy?!

Nelson: Well...yes.

Jack: We're all a little crazy in our own way, Nelson! But I guess I'm a little crazier than others! And that crazy is gonna help me and Tommy Rich take down Lee Marshall and whoever he can get as a tag team partner! That's if he can find one!

Rich: What you just witnessed is a little taste of what Lee Marshall and his partner are gonna get in our tag team match! This man operates on a different plane!

And Lee Marshall is gonna regret the day he asked for this match and treated a former NWA World Champion with disrespect!

Pain and suffering is comin', Lee! Hahaha!

Jack: Bang! Bang!

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd a video of champ Wendi Richter and challenger Magnificent Mimi preparing for their title clash on next week's AWA on ESPN.

VIDEO:

Video began by showing Richter working out: lifting weights; hitting and kicking the heavy bag; practicing her punches with a trainer; running on the treadmill and riding a stationary exercise bike.

Pic flipped...

Mimi was shown lifting weights; doing push-ups and sit-ups; running on an open street; doing the Stairmaster and sparring.

END VIDEO

in-Studio: Nelson said the ladies were really training hard in preparation for their title match. Mentioned Mimi gave him some serious wood.

Nelson then intro'd comments from the combatants.

VIDEO:

Video opened with Mimi, in street clothes and holding a mic, standing in front of the AWA logo.

Mimi: Wendi Richter! It's come down to this!

You've got one week left as the AWA Women's World Champion!

I have never wanted anything so badly in my life! I've never trained this hard before!

The belt is within my grasp!

Richter! You've had your time in the spotlight! You've been at the top long enough!

It's time for new blood! It's time for someone else to stand at the pinnacle of our sport!

It's time for a new AWA Women's World Champion!

And that's me!

Pic flipped and Wendi Richter was standing in a dress holding the title in her left arm and holding a mic in her right hand. She was standing in front of the AWA logo.

Wendi: I consider it an honor to be the AWA Women's World Champion.

I worked my tail off to win the belt and I've worked super hard to retain this title.

Night after night and town after town the challengers come for me. I've thwarted them all and it has not been easy.

Magnificent Mimi, I have a great deal of respect for you as a wrestler. You're one of the best in the business.

But I also know that you'll do anything to win.

You'll take every shortcut and break every rule because for you it's all about the winning.

And now with the belt on the line I expect you to kick things into overdrive.

You've made it clear you want this belt in the worst way. For you, this title represents a certain high status.

And you don't care how you attain that status as long as you get it.

But I'm ready for you, Mimi.

I've been covering every angle in my training and watching hours of video of you in the ring.

Mimi, I will see you next week.

Just show some class and wrestle like we all know you're capable of.

If you beat me and win this title, at least do it without taking shortcuts.

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson hyped the Women's World Title  match on AWA on ESPN next week.

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... MORE AWA ACTION!!!

Commercials

Back from commercial: Crowd was buzzing as Stan Hansen was stomping around in the ring in street clothes, black cowboy hat and cowboy boots. Hansen was wildly waving his cowbell and thrashing around his bullrope.

Larry Nelson made his way into the ring.

Nelson had to jump out of the way of Hansen thrashing the bullrope around.

Nelson: Stan Hansen, may I have a word with you?!

Nelson jumped out of the way of the bullrope one more time.

Hansen stopped waving the bullrope around and waved the cowbell in the air and it clanged noisily.

Hansen: Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Crowd still buzzing.

Nelson: Stan Hansen! This time was set aside for a match! What are you doing here?!

Hansen (chewing tobacco): I'm here for one reason and it can be summed up in two words: Sgt. Slaughter!

Tobacco spittle flew in the face of Larry Nelson.

Nelson quickly wiped off his face.

Nelson: Sgt. Slaughter?!

Hansen: I came back to the AWA to challenge Slaughter for the AWA World Title! I want the title a second time! Haaaaaaaaaa!

More bullrope thrashing and Nelson moved around nervously in the ring.

Nelson: Could you please stop waving the bullrope around! It's making me very nervous!

Hansen ceased the thrashing.

Hansen: I deserve a title shot because I'm a former AWA World Champion! And I want that title shot ASAP!
Sgt. Slaughter! I know you'll see this!

My kids need new clothes and new shoes! And the best way to buy those things is to become the champ once again! Bills are a lot easier to pay when you're at the top of the food chain in this sport! Being the champ pays real good!

So, Sgt. Slaughter, I'm gonna await your response! And you'd better say what I want to hear son or else!

Nelson: Or else what?

Hansen once again thrashed the bullrope around and Nelson quickly bolted out of the way.

Hansen: Or else he'll feel the wrath of the bullrope and the cowbell!

Hansen waved the cowbell in the air and many were now booing.

Nelson: You haven't been the champion since '86!

Even if Sgt. Slaughter accepts your challenge, AWA officials are gonna have to determine if you are deserving of a title shot.

Hansen: They won't say no to me because I'm Stan Hansen!

If they do say no then hell will be unleashed on the Sarge!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I'm an impatient man! I want an answer and I want it quickly! And the answer better be 'yes'!

Nelson: That's Stan Hansen! We'll see what develops!

Pic aired of Baron Von Raschke with the caption: NEXT... A SPECIAL INTERVIEW!

In-Studio: Nelson discussed the return of Stan Hansen. Said we now know why Hansen showed up at Super Clash 4.

Nelson then intro'd a special interview done recently with the now-retired Baron Von Raschke.

VIDEO:

Video opened with announcer Eric Bischoff sitting with the Baron in his home. The two were sitting in chairs. Bischoff was in a suit an the Baron was in street clothes. Both men had a mic.

Eric: Hello. This is Eric Bischoff.

We are coming to you from the Minnesota home of pro wrestling legend Baron Von Raschke.

Baron, we all felt a great wave of emotion when you left your boots in the middle of the ring signifying your retirement  after your match with Greg Valentine at Super Clash 4.

But now we want to know what you were feeling in that ring as you removed your boots and bid the sport of professional wrestling farewell?

Baron: Eric, it was an emotional time for me. You know one day you're gonna have to hang 'em up and walk away.
It was hard to do because this sport has meant so much to me for decades now.

When I returned to the locker room several wrestlers hugged and congratulated me on my career. I sat in front of my locker for a long time in my tights. The other wrestlers had left the arena. I just thought about everything I'd been through the last three decades. And yes, there were some tears.

There's that moment, when the match is over and you know what you're going to do, when you finally take off the boots and place them in the middle of the ring, the reality really hits home.

There will be no wrestling the next night or anymore nights in cities across this country or around the world.

I no longer have to catch planes to fly long distances to wrestle. The travel by car across the roads of the territory to get from city to city are no more. I admit I do miss those things. I have fond memories of traveling with wrestlers all over the place. The road was fun. The travel could be insane at times. Living out of a suitcase for days or weeks at a time. The beating your body takes  in the ring night after night does wear on you both mentally and physically. But as crazy as it might sound...I miss it. The traveling. The wrestling. The comraderie. All of it I miss. I'm still adjusting to no more living the wrestling life. It's gonna take time to fully make the adjustment to normal life. That's if I can ever fully make that adjustment.

Once a wrestler always a wrestler.

Eric: Was there a particular reason you chose to retire after facing Greg Valentine at Super Clash 4?

Baron: Win or lose, I had made the decision that the bout with Valentine would be my farewell days before the match. But I didn't tell anybody. Only I knew what was going to happen.

The reason was simple: Father Time had caught up to me. I certainly was no longer the wrestler I was a few years earlier. Some of us are fortunate to have long, successful careers in this sport. The grind is too much for some wrestlers and they walk away from it after a short period of time. I loved being in that ring and under those lights, Eric.

When the bell rang it was time to wrestle. God put me on this earth to make a living in the squared circle.

But, everyone's number comes up eventually. It's time to step away from whatever you're doing and let the younger folks have their day in the sun. I hope I've been a good influence on some of the younger guys in wrestling.

Eric: I think it's a safe bet you have had a positive influence on some of the young lions, if you will, of this sport.

Now, can you tell us what the Baron is up to today. How do you use your time?

Baron: Well, it's been around a month since my last match.

Right now, I am able to catch up on my reading. I love to read. I also have some TV shows that I enjoy. I putter around in my garden. Mrs. Von Raschke and I have already done a little traveling to a warmer climate. There will be more travel in our future. I enjoy time with my two German Shepherds. They're great dogs. I'm catching up with some old friends that I haven't talked to in months or years. I drive Mrs. Von Raschke a little crazy because I'm around almost all the time now. I also get to enjoy being with my family more.

Bischoff laughed politely.

Baron: The world looks a lot different when you've got time on your hands.

Of course, there are times when I start getting the 'urge', as I call it. You know, the 'urge' to be back on the road with the wrestlers and wrestling every night. But those days are in the past now. I do miss the wrestling lifestyle from time-to-time.

If you become a wrestler, you have to make a lot of sacrifices if you want to succeed. People who work regular jobs won't understand this. There is no off-season in wrestling. You're on the move all the time. The business comes first before everything else.

Oh! And I'm enjoying my beer very much.

Polite laughter from Bischoff.

Eric: Well, Baron, thank you for taking the time to do this interview. I think I speak for all the fans out there when I say thank you for everything you've done for the sport of professional wrestling. The fond memories we'll carry of you will last forever.

Baron: It's been my pleasure, Eric. And thank you to the fans who made my career possible.

Baron then did the claw gesture with his right hand.

Baron: That is all the people need to know!

Eric: This is Eric Bischoff on location with Baron Von Raschke.

END VIDEO

Pic aired of Greg Valentine with the caption: NEXT... THE HAMMER!

Commercials

Announcers said because of Stan Hansen's unexpected appearance on the program that the originally scheduled Tommy Jammer match was postponed until a later date. Said fans who need their Tommy Jammer fix will have to keep tuning in to AWA programming.

AWA ON ESPN DEBUT: Greg Valentine vs. Kosmo Kramer

Kramer was in the ring and announced.

Nelson: And his opponent, coming down the aisle and making his AWA on ESPN debut, from Seattle, Washington, weighing in at 243 pounds, he is Greg 'The Hammer' Valentine!

Mostly boos but also some cheers as Valentine climbed into the ring.

Valentine was in his trademark robe.

Valentine removed his robe and was all business once the bell rang.

Valentine dominated Kramer throughout the short, explosive match.

Valentine finished Kramer off by working over the left leg and locking Kramer in the figure 4. Kramer quickly submitted. Ref called for the bell.

Valentine released the hold, got to his feet and had his hand raised in victory by the ref.

WINNER: Valentine - Submission - 3:47

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Greg Valentine, you were dominant in victory over Kosmo Kramer. You've come firing out of the box since your arrival here in the AWA.

Valentine: It's like this, Larry Nelson! The Hammer Train is gonna keep on rollin' right down the tracks and running over everything and everyone in its path!

I could have broken that clown's leg if I wanted to but I showed him some mercy because I'm a swell guy!

Nelson: Your first victory in the AWA was a big one as you defeated the legendary Baron Von Raschke.

Valentine: I knew this was gonna come up!

Baron Von Raschke had a great career; he was an outstanding wrestler; he was a champion; yada yada yada!
I finished the man off, Nelson!

Greg Valentine sent Baron Von Raschke to the wrestling glue factory!

Nelson: What a way to talk about the man.

Valentine: The bottom line is I beat Von Raschke! I made him submit to the most devastating submission hold in wrestling, the figure four leglock!

As far as I'm concerned, the Baron is yesterday's news!

It's now 'Hammer Time' in the AWA! The man has arrived! And there's gonna be no stopping me! I'm gonna take what I want when I want!

And the wrestlers here better be ready because I'm going straight to the top and I don't care who I have to hurt to get there!

All roads in the AWA lead to glory for Greg Valentine!

Nelson: Greg Valentine, everybody!

More boos and some cheers.

Pic aired hyping next week's AWA Women's World Title Match: Richter (WC) vs. Mimi and the pic flipped and hyped next week's non-title match: Destruction Crew (WTTC) vs. Patera & Rheingans.

END PROGRAM

WWE Greg Valentine

HAMMER TIME!
Edited by piperrulz
  • Like 1

VERNE CALLS AN AUDIBLE!

In my post dated 12/19/22, a meeting was held between Verne Gagne, Sgt. Slaughter and Stan Hansen in Verne's hotel room the day of the November ESPN tapings.

An angle was set up where Hansen would attack Sarge on taping 3 or 4 of the November ESPN tapings and Sarge would work a neck injury angle to set up an eventual match between the two for the AWA strap at Brawl in St. Paul 2* on Christmas night.

But before Stan was to show up as an 'unexpected guest' on November taping 3, Verne changed his mind.

Verne talked to each man in their respective locker rooms at the Showboat Sports Pavilion.

There would now  be a series of promos and confrontations between Sarge and Hansen leading up to their Xmas night match.

Verne told the two men that an angle would take place at the show in St. Paul.

(* Original Brawl In St. Paul took place in 1986.)

image.jpeg.2a2189b3d20dba4e18545e2920ee587e.jpeg

THE SHOWBOAT! WRESTLING AT THE 'BOAT!

- Jingle from the local TV ads promoting the Showboat AWA cards

Edited by piperrulz

Throwback Thursday: AWA All Star Wrestling (Jan. 25, 1987), As Seen on WWE  Network | WWE Network News

(KEY: # = Repeat from previous AWA on ESPN or All-Star Wrestling episode.)

(3rd Taping Re-Cap)

Show Intro

In-Studio - Larry Nelson welcomed viewers and ran down the program:

TV MAIN EVENT: Manny Fernandez vs. Tommy Jammer

A look back at Tommy Rich's shocking tag team partner reveal for his match with announcer Lee Marshall and a partner of his choosing

Jonnie Stewart wrestles

Ken Patera & Brad Rheingans wrestle

A look back at last week's destruction of Jeff Gaylord by Kokina Maximus PLUS! Post-match comments from Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey

Pre-recorded comments from The Trooper about Zbyszko's vicious attack on him a few weeks ago

Sam Houston (w/ Coach Dick Murdoch) wrestles

And more!

Nelson sent it to the ring in Muncie, IN.

The Top Guns (Ricky Rice & Derrick Dukes) won a squash match via pinfall over Slim Whitman & Boxcar Willie when Rice pinned Whitman after a double dropkick

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Top Guns, you are really looking good as you prepare to head into battle against Badd Company!

You guys look ready to fight.

Rice: Larry, we're long past ready! We want those guys in the ring! It's time to get it on!

Crowd cheered.

Nelson: These fans are obviously behind you guys.

Rice: The fan support means a great deal to us! It drives us!

Nelson: Derrick, what say you?

Dukes: Dallas Page, I hope you have your boys ready for what's about to transpire in this ring real soon!

Something tells me things are gonna get really ugly between us!

Badd Company has been nothing but a thorn in our side and we intend to remove that thorn by any means necessary!

Crowd cheered.

Nelson: It promises to be quite a match when Badd Company and the Top Guns wrestle! Whoa! Wait a minute! What's Dallas Page coming out here for?!

Page made his way down the heel aisle in street clothes and with cane in hand. He climbed up on the apron and the Guns and
DDP engaged in a brief staredown.

Page cautiously made his way into the ring and walked up to Larry Nelson.

DDP: You guys are ready to rumble, huh? You call Badd Company a thorn in your side.
Well, let me tell you something. Badd Company is more than ready to tear you two apart.

Two men, dressed in work coveralls, baseball caps pulled down low and sunglasses and carrying push brooms came to ringside.

The two men then started pushing their brooms on the floor at ringside. Top Guns and Nelson did not see them as Page had the three distracted with his presence.

Dukes: You just make sure Tanaka and Diamond show up to get their whoopin' from the Top Guns!

DDP chuckled.

DDP: The only guys getting a whoopin' will be the Pop Guns!

You're gonna be sorry that you ever crossed paths with us!

Rice: You need to quit the disrespect, Dallas! You need to quit calling us the Pop Guns! We're the Top Guns and we're gonna
show that to Badd Company when we clash!

DDP: Really? Well, let's see if you guys can give Badd Company a whoopin' right now.

Page turned and gestured towards the back.

As the Guns looked on waiting for Badd Company to come out, the fans were suspicious of the 'janitors' at ringside.

After a brief pause...

Rice: Where are they, Page! Get 'em out here or is this some sort of bluff?

DDP: Oh! It's no bluff, Rickster! They're here and you're about to feel their wrath!

Page again gestured towards the back.

More waiting...

Dukes: They're not comin', are they?!

Dukes got in Page's face and Rice stepped in to try and keep the pair separate.

Rice: Let's just wait a minute, Derrick. We're calling your bluff, Page! Get 'em out here...now!

Page threw up his hands.

Crowd started screaming for the Guns to turn around as the 'janitors', brooms in hand, climbed up on the apron behind the quartet in the ring. With Nelson and the Guns distracted by Page, Page was the only one who saw what was going on.
Top Guns and Page were having words off-mic as the 'janitors' climbed into the ring behind the Guns.

After standing there for a few seconds...

WHAM!

The 'janitors' came up behind the Guns and clubbed the Guns with their hard wood broom handles.

Nelson: Oh my Go...

Nelson bailed to the safety of the floor. Both Guns down on the mat.

The 'janitors' quickly tossed their hats and glasses revealing them to be...Badd Company!

After beating Dukes and Rice with the broom handles some more, the diabolical pair tossed the brooms and started stomping away on the two. Dukes and Rice helpless.

DDP shouting orders.

Badd Co. quickly dispatched with the coveralls.

Tanaka snapped Rice up and held him around the waist as Diamond moved in and pulverized Rice with a superkick into a bridgeout German suplex from Tanaka (Superkick-Plex) . Rice laid out.

DDP shouted more orders for his men.

Diamond grabbed Dukes by the legs and catapaulted Dukes into the waiting arms of Tanaka, who blasted Dukes with a jumping DDT.

Top Guns down and out.

DDP ordered them to pick up Rice.

As Tanaka was picking up Rice, crowd popped as some of the faces and referees charged down the aisle. Tanaka let go of Rice and Rice crumpled helplessly back to the mat.

Badd Co. and Page bailed to the safety of the floor as the faces/refs hit the ring. DDP wasted no time leading his men quickly back up the heel aisle as the fans booed loudly.

Faces and refs checked on Rice and Dukes as the segment ended.

Pic aired of the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship belt with the caption: NEXT... TOURNEY UPDATE!

Commercials

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd the newest Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tourney Update with PWI's Bill Apter.

# - PRO WRESTLING HERITAGE CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT UPDATE

Apter was standing in front of the PWI logo with mic in hand and wearing a suit.

Apter: Hello.

This is Bill Apter from Pro Wrestling Illustrated with this week's Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament Update.

The event will take place on Saturday, February 17th of next year at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California.

The event will be a two-session, one-day event. Bell time for the afternoon session will be at 12:30pm Pacific Time and the night session will take place at 7:30pm Pacific Time.

Tickets are now on sale for this historic event and you can secure your seats today by contacting Ticket Master or the Anaheim Convention Center box office at (714) 555-1812.

Each passing week brings us closer to the tournament and if you're a wrestling fan you'll want to be there to see it.

As mentioned last week, in January of next year, eight qualifying matches will be held to determine who gets eight of the 16 slots in the tournament.

The other eight slots will be filled on an invitation-only basis.

Wrestlers from all over the world are contacting the AWA to be part of this event.

This will truly be a global event as several promotions will be represented.

It's not gonna be a tournament featuring only wrestlers from one promotion.

The excitement is building, fans!

The Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship is a belt that will represent the glorious history of this great sport of ours!

And next week, I'm gonna have a big announcement about the tournament. You won't want to miss the update!

Anaheim is a great place to visit, especially during the winter months.

Come on out and enjoy the sun, warm temperatures, great food, Disneyland, the beaches and so much more!

It promises to be a good time for all!

In-Studio: Nelson hyped the PWHC Tournament in Anaheim in Feb. '90.

Nelson then sent it back to the ring in Muncie.

Jonnie Stewart won a squash match via pinfall over Ren Hoek with his flying knee to the gut

Announcers again wondered if Stewart's kneepad was loaded.

Pic aired of Tommy Rich with the caption: NEXT... PARTNER REVEALED!

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd footage from last week of Tommy Rich revealing his tag team partner for his match against Lee Marshall and a partner of his choosing.

VIDEO:

# (From AWA Wrestling on ESPN)

Is he here?

END VIDEO

Pic aired of Sam Houston and Coach Dick Murdoch with the caption: NEXT... STILL PERFECT?

Commercials

Sam Houston (w/ Coach Dick Murdoch) won a squash match over Victror Borge via pinfall with his bulldog finisher

During the match, Murdoch, in street clothes, coached and spoke encouragement to Sam

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Sam Houston, the undefeated streak continues for you here in the AWA.

With Dick Murdoch as your guide it seems the sky is the limit for you.

Sam: I would not be where I am today without this man by my side.

One of the things that's really helped with my success here in the AWA is the way Dick has kept me grounded and focused.

He hasn't let me get a big head because of the streak and when I start to wander off the path, if you will, Dick's there to make sure I get back on it.

He's the best thing that's happened to my career.

Nelson: High praise from your student, Dick.

Murdoch: It is, Larry. And I greatly appreciate it.

And I'll tell you something right now, Sam has kept me grounded, too.

Nelson: How so?

Murdoch: When you've been in this business a lot of years and had a great deal of success, it's hard to keep the ego in check.

Training this man  has helped me keep both feet firmly planted on the ground.

He's still young and he hasn't hit his prime yet.

By working with him I've learned about patience being a virtue. I've learned humility.

To train men for this sport you have to be able to stick it out with them through the good times and the bad.

You have to be a mentor, friend and armchair psychologist for these guys.

And that means patience and understanding. That's the only way you can create a champion in wrestling.

Nelson: Well said, Dick. Sam Houston and Dick Murdoch, everybody!

In-Studio: Nelson discussed the amazing streak Sam Houston was on and how Dick Murdoch was an excellent choice to be his  coach.

Nelson then intro'd comments from The Trooper regarding the assault by Larry Zbyszko.

VIDEO:

The Trooper Del Wilkes was in his police uniform and hat and wearing sunglasses. He was standing in front of the AWA logo with mic in hand.

Trooper: Larry Zbyszko.

You wanna come at me, son? Do it like a man.

I'm still in a great deal of pain from those chair shots you struck me with. It hurts to breathe.

I heard you went out on ESPN and said you were taking some warped stand against police brutality by attacking me.

Let me tell you something, Zbyszko.

Yes, there are bad cops and it's unfortunate.

But 99% of those who wear the uniform and the badge are honorable men and women, many of whom put their lives on the line everyday to make sure citizens are safe.

For you to trash the police, well, it shows your true character.

I'm still bruised up from what you did to me.

But the bruises will heal.

I'm coming for you, Zbyszko.

And when we meet, mark my words, law and order will stand tall in the ring.

END VIDEO

Pic aired of Ken Patera & Brad Rheingans with the caption: NEXT... NEXT TAG CHAMPS?!

Ken Patera & Brad Rheingans won a squash match over Michael Keaton & Mitch Hedberg via submission when Patera made Hedberg submit to his swinging full nelson finisher

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Ken Patera and Brad Rheingans, you guys are hot on the trail of the champs The Destruction Crew.

Patera: Each passing day brings us closer to a showdown with Bloom and Enos!

They've been the champions for months now! It's time for a change at the top of the tag team championship mountain here in the AWA!

Fans cheered.

Patera: In wrestling, the best way to exact revenge on someone who's wronged you is to take their belts!

Me and Brad want to be the team that ends the Destruction Crew's reign!

We want to see the looks on their faces when the reality hits them that they're no longer the champs!

Brad: Mike Enos and Wayne Bloom are two of the most arrogant, cocky sons of guns in wrestling today!

They seem to believe they're indestructible!

Well, like the old saying goes, pride comes before a fall!

And the Destruction Crew better prepare to fall and fall hard!

Patera: These guys seem to think they can do whatever they want!

They must learn the hard way that for every action there is a reaction!

And our reaction to the Destruction Crew will be one built on payback!

Fans cheered.

Nelson: Patera and Rheingans, everybody!

Video aired of Kokina Maximus annihilating Jeff Gaylord with the caption: NEXT... MAXIMUS DESTRUCTION!

Commercials

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd footage from last week's Kokina demolition of Jeff Gaylord PLUS! post-match comments from mgr. Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey.

VIDEO:

# - Gaylord grabbed Kokina's ankle and Kokina kicked him off like a ragdoll. Kokina stomped Gaylord in the head. Gaylord rolled out on the ring apron. Ref ordered Kokina back and Kokina obeyed. Ref started the 10-count. Count grew and Gaylord unsteadily made it to his feet with the aid of the ropes. Gaylord up and Kokina went over and popped Gaylord with a punch, grabbed Gaylord and threw him back into the ring. Ref briefly checked on Gaylord and allowed the match to continue.

Marshall: They really need to stop this, Lord James.

Blears: Right you are, Lee. He's making a mistake, I believe, by letting the match continue. This is just cruelty on display from Kokina now.

Gaylord struggling to make to to his feet. Kokina moved in with a stiff kick to the side of the ribs. Kokina snatched Gaylrd up and nailed Gaylord with a side slam. Kokina then popped the prone Gaylord with a running legdrop. Kokina up and dragged Gaylord over to the corner. Kokina mounted the middle buckle facing the crowd and popped Gaylord with his Bonzai drop finisher. Kokina sat on Gaylord's chest as the ref counted. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as most of the fans booed. Ref raised Kokina's hand in victory as Kaissey and the masked doc entered the ring.

Kaissey went over and raised Kokina's hand in defiant victory to more boos as the doc checked on Gaylord. Doc pulled a pen light out of his jacket breast pocket and looked into Gaylord's eyes.

Marshall: You can see it in Gaylord's eyes. He's been absolutely demolished.

The doc checked placed two fingers on Gaylord's pulse and then pulled a stethescope out of his bag and checked Gaylord's heart beat. Doc looked up at Kaissey and nodded 'yes' and Kokina grabbed the downed Gaylord as the doc left the ring and pulled the stretcher over to ringside. Kokina pulled Gaylord next to the ropes. Kokina dropped to the floor and pulled Gaylord onto the stretcher.

Pic flipped and Kaissey was standing in the locker room mic in hand with the menacing Kokina and the masked doctor standing behind the manager.

Kaissey: And so the destruction continues!

Not one man that Kokina has faced has been able to mount an effective offense against him!

I told you this man would be a force of nature and he is!

The wrestlers he's faced are just putty in Kokina's hands! He can do whatever he wants to them and they can't stop it!

The question now becomes is there any wrestler in the AWA who can take this man down?! I don't think so!

And  things are only going to get worse for the AWA roster because Kokina is just getting started!

And we still have one man in our sights!

Jerry Blackwell! Kokina is coming for you! You're a huge man! But even you won't be able to stop this one-man wrecking crew! He is

going to tear down the Mountain from Stone Mountain and I'm gonna enjoy every bit of the carnage!

The AWA has been put on notice! Kokina's time is not sometime in the future! No! His time is right now!

And the entire AWA needs to be shaking in their boots!

In-Studio: Nelson briefly discussed Kokina's continuing rampage of destruction and said he believes the Sheik when he says the AWA needs to sit up and take notice of this guy. Said hopefully Blackwell will send Kokina crashing back to earth. Also, again wondered who the masked doc was who accompanies Kokina to ringside.

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... THE MAIN EVENT!

Commericals

TV MAIN EVENT: Manny Fernandez vs. Tommy Jammer

Young Jammer gave Fernandez a battle and came close to scoring his biggest career victory to date.

End of the match saw Manny on the offensive. After working Jammer over, Manny went to whip Jammer into the ropes but Jammer reversed and caught Manny coming off with a dropkick that sent Manny to the mat. Manny up and Jammer nailed Manny with a running clothesline. Manny down and Jammer for the cover. 1...2... Manny kicked out. Most in the crowd groaned. Jammer snapped Manny up and went to whip Manny into the corner but Manny reversed and sent Jammer crashing into the buckles. Jammer staggered out of the corner and Manny dropped jammer with a backfist to the face. Manny quickly regained his bearings as Jammer made it to his feet. Manny grabbed Jammer, whipped jammer into the ropes and caught Jammer coming off with his flying burrito (double flying forearm smash) finisher. Jammer crashed back to the mat. Manny for the cover. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as most of the crowd booed. Manny up and the ref raised his hand in victory as the program ended.

WINNER: Manny - Pinfall - 6:39

END PROGRAM

image.jpeg.d96319416fc052e0d7198e1d7b0ab4c4.jpeg

Don't read anything into the belt in the pic!

Edited by piperrulz

I have a question. It's a bit off-topic.

I was wondering how any other diary writers who read this prepare their shows and other segments.

Do you write them out before typing/posting them?

Or do you fly by the seat of your pants and just type up your posts on the fly?

I admit I do the latter (guess that's Russo-like).

I'll have a few loose ideas rolling around in my head (angles, match finishes, etc.) But a lot of what you read on the shows I post I literally just create on the fly.

You?

4 hours ago, piperrulz said:

I was wondering how any other diary writers who read this prepare their shows and other segments.

I'll have a few loose ideas rolling around in my head (angles, match finishes, etc.) But a lot of what you read on the shows I post I literally just create on the fly.

You?

Generally I wrote them out before hand.  When I was really prepare I would, but a few Tim’s I flew by the seat of my pants.  I generally had an outline, would run the event in game and then adjust things as I wrote.  But generally I had everything written beforehand 

11 hours ago, piperrulz said:

You?

I do my write-ups in advance before posting them, gives me a chance to polish up the matches (for events) and storylines (for my behind-the-scenes chapters).

1671840428271.png

(In the Minneapolis market, ads started airing for Brawl In St. Paul 2 on Christmas night at the St. Paul Civic Center in St. Paul, MN.)

4th Taping Re-Cap

Show Intro:

Show opened cold with Stan Hansen once again showing up unannounced and wildly thrashing about his bullrope and waving his cowbell in the air and yelling with tobacco spittle running down his chin. He was in street clothes and a cowboy hat.

Larry Nelson once again cautiously climbed into the ring.

Nelson evaded Hansen's bullrope.

Nelson: Stan Hansen. What are you doing out here again? You're not scheduled to be on the pro...

Nelson dropped the mic and bailed out onto the apron as Hansen thrashed around the bullrope some more and just missed striking Nelson with it.

Hansen yelled at Nelson to get in the ring but Nelson was hesitant.

Hansen picked up the mic.

Hansen: Larry Nelson! Are you gonna get yer tail in this ring and interview me or no?!

Nelson slowly started climbing back into the ring when Hansen thrashed around the bullrope again and Nelson climbed back out onto the apron.

Nelson picked up on a mic.

Nelson: Please stop waving that bullrope around!

Hansen: Did I hear you correctly, boy?! Stop waving the bullrope around?!

Nelson picked up on a mic.

Nelson: Yes. Please.

Hansen: Come on in, Nelson. I'll stop.

Nelson started to slwoly climb back into the ring when Hansen moved in and struck the top rope with his bullrope. Nelson back out on the apron.

Hansen: I'm just kiddin', boy! Get back in here and do yer job!

Nelson hesitant.

Hansen: Come on, now, you Howard Cossell wanna-be. I ain't gonna do nothin'.

Nelson slowly climbed back into the ring and nervously walked up to Hansen.

Hansen: I guess you want this mic now, eh?!

Nelson nodded and softly said 'yes'.

Hansen: Well, here ya go, Nelson. Take it in yer greasy paw there.

Nelson carefully took the mic from Hansen like he was handling nitroglycerine.

Nelson: Why...why are you out here again?

Hansen: Why am I out here?! Are you stupid in real life or just on TV?!

I'm out here because I'm callin' out Sgt. Slaughter! I want him to tell me face-to-face if he accepts my challenge for a World Title match?!

Nelson: Sarge is not here.

Hansen: What?! Not here?! Then where is he?!

Nelson: Only thing I know is he's not here.

Hansen: Somebody needs to tell that rat that he'd better come out here and give me an answer to my challenge or he's gonna feel
the wrath of Hansen!

Nelson: What can we do if he's not here?

Hansen: Somebody better go and dredge Lake Mead for the Sarge and bring him here! He owes me an answer and he owed it yesterday!

Nelson: Wait a minute. Here comes AWA boss Verne Gagne.

Gagne made his way down the face aisle in a suit and climbed into the ring.

Verne: Stan, you've come out here two times now. You weren't scheduled to be on either show.

But I have been listening to you. You want a match with Sgt. Slaughter to try and become the AWA World Champion a second time, correct?

Hansen: That's correct, Verne! I'm owed that opportunity!

Verne: Well, Sgt. Slaughter will be here on the next AWA Wrestling on ESPN.

Those of us who make the final decisions on match-ups are gonna be discussing things about this matter in-depth real soon.

But we also want the Sarge's input.

Hansen: Why do you want his input?! Just make the match, Verne! Everyone knows you have the power to do it!

Verne: I wish to talk to the champion before we proceed.

Hansen: You make sure he's here then! And both of you better say what I want to hear!

I didn't come out here to Lost Wages from Borger, Texas to be told 'no'!

Hansen started waving his cowbell in the air and yelling as the segment ended and most fans booed.

In-Studio: Nelson welcomed viewers and talked about Hansen showing up for the second straight week unannounced.

Nelson then ran down the program:

AWA WOMEN'S WORLD TITLE MATCH: Wendi Richter (WC) vs. Magnificent Mimi

NON-TITLE MATCH: The Destruction Crew (WTTC) vs. Ken Patera & Brad Rheingans
(If Patera & Rheingans win, they get a tag team title shot vs. the Destruction Crew at a later date!)

Tommy Rich (w/ Cactus Jack) wrestles

Col. DeBeers sees action

First comments from The Trooper after he was assaulted by Larry Zbyszko

And more!

Pic  aired of the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship title belt with the caption: NEXT... TOURNEY UPDATE!

Commercials

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd this week's Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament Update with PWI's Bill Apter.

VIDEO:

Apter was standing in front of the PWI logo in a birthday suit and tie and holding a mic.

Apter: Greetings, wrestling fans.

This is Bill Apter of Pro Wrestling Illustrated with this week's Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament Update.

The tournament will take place on Saturday, February 17, 1990 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California.

The tournament will be divided into two sessions: an afternoon session and an evening session. The afternoon session, which will feature the opening round of the 16-man tournament, has a bell time of 12:30pm and the night session, featuring the quarters, semis and final of the tournament has a scheduled bell-time of 7:30pm.

Tickets are now on sale for both sessions and you can be part of this historic wrestling event by contacting Ticket Master or the Anaheim Convention Center Box Office at (714) 555-1812.

It will be a great time to be in beautiful, warm, sunny Southern California as cold winter weather overtakes much of the country.

And there's always lots to do in Anaheim. From going to the beaches; eating fantastic food; visiting the Happiest Place on Earth Disneyland and so much more. Anaheim also has lots of affordable quality hotels near the Convention Center.

Now, as promised last week: a major announcement about the tournament.

Of the 16 spots that will be available, 8 spots will be taken by winners of qualifying matches on AWA programming. The remaining eight spots are by invitation only.

This tournament will have wrestlers from different promotions all over the world. It will truly be an international event.

Well, two of the invitation spots have been filled!

And I'll reveal who's in those two spots on next week's update.

The Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament is already shaping up to be a great event! Be part of it! Make your plans to be with us in Anaheim today!

Pic aired of Patera & Rheingans with the caption: NEXT... SHOWDOWN!

Commercials

AWA Tour Update

NON-TITLE MATCH (If Patera & Rheingans win they get a World Tag Team Title shot!)

The Destruction Crew (WTTC) vs. Ken Patera & Brad Rheingans

The two teams were in the ring and announced.

Bloom and Enos charged over and attacked Patera and Rheingans and started pounding on them.

Ref called for the bell.

The champs kept hammering away on Patera and Rheingans. Ref trying to regain some order.

Bloom and Enos then grabbed the men and went to whip them into the ropes but Patera and Rheingans reversed and Patera caught Bloom coming off with a clothesline and Rheingans backdropped Enos to the mat. Patera snatched up Bloom and Rheingans grabbed Enos and the pair whipped the champs at each other. Bloom and Enos collided with each other and crashed to the mat as the fans roared. Rheingans grabbed Enos and threw him out of the ring through the top and middle rope to the floor and Bloom rolled out of the ring, went down on the floor, stumbled back and fell on the concrete floor. Fans roaring. Ref sought to get things under control. Bloom and Enos stumbled over to each other on the floor. The pair started talking to one another as the ref began the 10-count. As the count grew, the champs cautiously made their way up on the apron. Patera was in the ring meaning he was the legal man for his team. Bloom quickly climbed into the ring to break the count. Patera moved towards him and Bloom bailed to the apron. Fans booed. Ref started the count again. Bloom and Enos quickly talked with each other and then Bloom got back in the ring. Bloom charged at Patera and Patera caught Bloom and bodyslammed Bloom. Bloom up and swung wildly at Patera and missed and Patera caught Bloom with an atomic drop. Fans really into it. Bloom down on his knees holding his jewels. Patera looking on as Bloom slowly and painfully got to his feet. Bloom backed into the corner and tried to call a timeout but there are no timeouts in wrestling. Patera moved in and popped Bloom with a head shot and whipped Bloom into the opposite buckles. Patera charged in and went to blast Bloom with a running clothesline but Bloom fell out of the way and Patera slammed  front-first into the buckles. Bloom slowly made it to his feet as Patera extricated himself from the buckles. Bloom caught Patera with a kick to the gut and then nailed Patera with a suplex. Bloom still feeling the effects of the atomic drop. Patera on all fours as Bloom up. Bloom caught Patera with a boot to the side of the head and gestured to Enos. Enos stuck his foot through the top and middle rope and Bloom slammed Patera's head into it. Bloom tagged in Enos. Bloom shoved Patera into his team's corner. Enos moved in and battered Patera with a series of shoulder blocks to the gut. Enos grabbed Patera by the arm, pulled Patera out of the corner and blasted Patera with a short-arm clothesline. Patera crashed to the mat. Enos for the cover. 1...2... Patera kicked out. Enos then popped Patera with a suplex. Enos snapped Patera up and went to hit Patera with another suplex, but Patera twice blocked the move and hit Enos with a suplex of his own. Both men down. Ref counting. Both men stirred and slowly made it to their feet and Patera lunged over in an attempt to tag in Rheingans but Enos moved in and caught Patera from behind around the waist. Patera repsonded with a trio of elbow strikes to the side of the head and Enos lost his grip on the hold. Patera tagged in Rheingans as the crowd popped.

Rheingans charged over and tackled Enos to the mat and peppered Enos with punches to the head to the delight of the fans. Rheingans snapped Enos up and ran Enos' head into the top buckle. Rheingans charged across the ring and slammed Enos' head into the opposite top buckle. Enos stumbled back out of the corner and Rheingans hit Enos with a belly-to-back suplex. Rheingans snapped Enos up and went to whip Enos into the ropes but Enos reversed and looked to catch Rheingans coming off with a backdrop but Rheingans caught Enos in a front facelock and blasted Enos with a swinging neckbreaker. Crowed popped big-time. Rheingans for the cover. 1...2... Bloom hit the ring and stomped Rheingans in the upper back to break up the pin try. Patera started to climb into the ring and the ref went over and stopped him and ordered Patera back out on the apron. As the ref and Patera were distracted and having words, Bloom took the opportunity to choke out the downed Rheingans with his boot. Fans yelling at the ref to turn around. Bloom bailed out of the ring for the apron just as the ref turned back to the action. Rheingans down holding his throat. Enos up and snapped up Rheingans and choked Rheingans out on the top rope. Enos broke the illegal move at the ref's count of 4.

Blears: Lee, as much as I hate to say it, while what the Destruction Crew did there was illegal, the neck is a dangerous area to work over and Rheingans could find himself in great peril if they are able to continue exploiting what they've just done to his neck; in it's own way it's a winnable strategy though illegal.

Enos tagged in Bloom. Bloom came up behind Rheingans and hit Rheingans with a double sledge to the back. Rheingans staggered off and Bloom came up behind Rheingans and bashed Rhengans with a second doubled sledge to the back. Rheingans went down. Bloom put the boots to Rheingans and then snapped Rheingans up and started walking Rheingans over to Rheingans' team's corner and yanked Rheingans away just before he could tag Patera. Bloom then caught Rheingans in a side headlock and started to work it over. Crowd cheering on Rheingans. Rheingans tried and failed to escape Bloom's vice-like grip. After a little more struggle, Rheingans was able to push Bloom off into the ropes and Bloom came off and nailed Rheingans with a shoulder tackle that dropped Brad. Bloom looked over at Patera and made the title around the waist gesture as the fans booed. Rheingans to his feet. Bloom turned back to Rheingans and was greeted with a series of head shots from Rheingans. Rheingans whipped Bloom into the ropes and Bloom came off and Rheingans went to clothesline Bloom but Bloom ducked the move and came back and pulverized Rheingans with a clothesline of his own. Bloom for the cover. 1...2...thr... Patera hit the ring and stomped Bloom in the back of the head to break up the pin try. Both men down. Ref counting. Both men up and Bloom clubbed Rheingans with a forearm and then went to whip Rheingans into the ropes but Rheingans reversed and caught Bloom coming off with a belly-to-belly suplex. Crowd popped like zits. Rheingans rolled off of Bloom and was slow getting to his feet. Rheingans up as Bloom was getting up and Rheingans tagged in Patera.

Crowd popped as Patera came in. Bloom went to punch Patera but Patera blocked the punch try and fired back on Bloom with a series of head shots. Patera whipped Bloom into the ropes and caught Bloom coming off with a high backdrop. Bloom crashed to the mat. Bloom up and Patera nailed Bloom with more punches, whipped Bloom into the ropes and caught Bloom coming off in a bone-crunching bearhug. Bloom struggling mightily in the hold. Bloom in great pain and cannot find an escape. Crowd cheering on Patera. Enos, in desperation, hit the ring and came up behind Patera and clubbed Patera in the back. Patera lost his grip on the hold. Rheingans hit the ring to go after Enos but the ref intercepted him and the ref ordered Rheingans back to his corner. As the ref and Rheingans were distracted arguing with each other, Bloom and Enos took the opportunity to engage in a quick beatdown of Patera. Rheingans looked over and saw what was happening and climbed in the ring to go after the champs but the ref again intercepted him and ordered him out on the apron. Patera down on the mat. Rheingans back out on the apron. Bloom tagged Enos in. Enos quickly hit the ring and started stomping away on Patera. Enos snapped Patera up, whipped Patera into the ropes and caught Patera coming off with a scoop powerslam.

Enos pointed at Rheingans and Enos was picked up on a mic.

Enos: Your championship dreams end right now!

Bloom threw his fists in the air in victory out on the apron.

Enos for the cover and hooked the leg. 1...2...thr... Patera barely kicked out. Gasps then loud cheers from the crowd. Enos shocked and Bloom suddenly not celebratory on the apron. Enos snapped Patera up and whipped Patera into the buckles. Enos charged in and Patera managed to get a boot up and Enos slammed face-first into it. Enos crashed to the mat. Patera shook out the effects of the match. Enos up bent over and  Patera moved in and blasted Enos with a knee lift to the chest. Enos fell back against the ropes. Patera grabbed Enos and whipped Enos into the ropes but Enos grabbed the top rope and Patera charged over to hit Enos with a running clothesline but Enos instead backdropped Patera over the top rope to the floor. Enos went to go after Patera but the ref intercepted Enos and ordered him to stand back for the 10-count. Enos quickly turned his attention to Rheingans. Enos went over and tried to bait Rheingans into the ring. As Rheingans started to step into the ring the ref stepped in between the two men. While the ref, Enos and Rheingans were distratced with one another, Bloom dropped off the apron and went over to where Ken Patera was getting to his feet. Bloom came up behind Patera, spun Patera around, grabbed Patera by the waist and rammed Patera back-first into the ring apron. Patera dropped to his knees on the floor grabbing at his lower back. Bloom snapped Patera up and threw Patera back into the ring. Bloom went back to his corner and yelled for Enos to turn around. Enos looked and saw the downed Patera and went over and snatched Patera up and went to bodyslam Patera but Patera caught Enos in a small package for the pin. 1...2... Enos kicked out. Crowd groaned. Both men up and the two engaged in a brief punch exchange. Patera got the upper hand. Patera found the strength to hoist Enos up and hit Enos with a throwing bodyslam. Enos crashed to the mat in great pain. As Enos made it to his feet, Patera ran and hit the ropes. Bloom came down the apron and got a knee up and Patera's back slammed into it. Patera went down. Enos stomped on Patera, snapped Patera up and hit Patera with the snake eyes. Patera crumpled to the mat. Enos tagged in Bloom. Bloom quickly snapped Patera up, whipped Patera into the ropes and blasted Patera coming off with a big clothesline. Patera crashed to the mat. Bloom then snapped up Patera and went for a piledriver but Patera twice blocked the move and backdropped Bloom down to the mat.

Both men slowly to their feet. Bloom punched Patera and it lit a fire in the former Olympian. Bloom hit Patera a second time and Patera was getting angry. Bloom with a third punch to no avail. Bloom looked over at Enos and then turned to hit Patera a fourth time but Patera blocked the punch try and blistered Bloom with a series of punches as the crowd came alive. Enos hit the ring to go after Patera but Patera saw Enos and nailed Enos with some punches and then grabbed the champs by the hair and slammed their heads together. Both men staggered. Rheingans hit the ring and tackled Enos and the pair toppled through the top and middle rope to the floor. Patera looked over at what transpired between the two and Bloom snuck up behind Patera and rolled Patera up from behind for the pin. 1... Bloom grabbed a handful of tights. ...2...thr... Patera kicked out. Fans cheered. Bloom jumped on Patera and pounded away on the big man. Bloom went to whip Patera into the buckles but Patera reversed and sent Bloom crashing into them. Patera charged in and nailed Bloom with a series of rapid-fire shoulder blocks to the gut. Bloom limp in the corner.
On the floor, Rheingans and Enos were struggling with each other. Bloom stumbled out of the corner holding his gut as Patera stalked him in the ring. Patera came up behind Bloom and locked Bloom in his swinging full nelson finisher. Crowd eating it up. Bloom wasn't in the hold for long before submitting. Ref called for the bell as the crowd roared. Patera let go of Bloom and Bloom crumpled to the mat. Fans roaring. Ref went over and raised Patera's hand in victory. Fighting petered out on the floor between Rheingans and Enos. Rheiungans climbed back in the ring to celebrate with Patera. Bloom had rolled out to the floor and was holding the back of his neck as Enos came over to his tag partner.

WINNER: Patera & Rheingans - Submission - 14:29 (Patera & Rheingans earn a tag team title shot at a later date.)

Pic aired of Col. DeBeers with the caption: NEXT... THE COLONEL!

Commercials

Col. DeBeers won a squash match over Eugene Levy via pinfall with his face-first piledriver

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Col. DeBeers. The last time you were out here you made some very controversial comments.

Tom Zenk was out here recently and had the coal miner's glove you sent him before your match at Super Clash 4.

Now, Zenk wants a coal miner's glove match with you.

Your thoughts?

DeBeers: First of all, let me just say that my last intrerview out here was only controversial in the sense that it was factual.

As for Zenk wanting a coal miner's glove match with me. Ha!

Zenk is such a stupid, decadent American that he's setting a trap for himself!

I will face him in a coal miner's glove match match, Nelson!

And if Zenk thinks that he has a chance to beat me in a match that is my specialty, he is sadly mistaken. I will inflict more punishment on him with the glove in a match than when I drilled him right in the face with one before. I could end Tom Zenk's career.

But Zenk believes in fantasies like most Americans. He thinks you can have all the people groups from all over the world living peacefully in one space side-by-side like two scoops of ice cream.

And he's really walking down Fantasy Lane if he thinks he can beat me in a coal miner's glove match.

Crowd booed.

Nelson: Col. DeBeers, everybody!

Pic aired of Tommy Rich and Cactus Jack with the caption: NEXT... TOMMY & CACTUS!

Commercials

Tommy Rich (w/ Cactus Jack) won a squash match via pinfall over Mel Blanc with the Thesz Press

During the match, Lee Marshall discussed his continuing search for a tag team partner.

After the match, Jack climbed in the ring and stomped away on the defeated Blanc, who made several different noises in different voices while being stomped on.

Rich was then picked up on a mic.

Rich: Lee Marshall! This is for you, boy!

Rich snapped up Blanc and blasted Blanc with  a piledriver.

Jack turned in Marshall's direction and was picked up on a mic.

Jack: Bang! Bang!

In-Studio: Nelson discussed the Rich, Jack and Marshall situation. Said Rich and Jack look like they're gonna be a formidable team when they go up against Lee Marshall and a partner of his choosing.

Nelson then intro'd the first comments  from The Trooper about the assault by Larry Zbyszko a few weeks back.

VIDEO:

The Trooper Del Wilkes was in his police uniform and hat and wearing sunglasses. He was standing in front of the AWA logo with mic in hand.

Trooper: Larry Zbyszko.

You wanna come at me, son? Do it like a man.

I'm still in a great deal of pain from those chair shots you struck me with. It hurts to breathe.

I heard you went out on ESPN and said you were taking some warped stand against police brutality by attacking me.

Let me tell you something, Zbyszko.

Yes, there are bad cops and it's unfortunate.

But 99% of those who wear the uniform and the badge are honorable men and women, many of whom put their lives on the line everyday to make sure citizens are safe.

For you to trash the police, well, it shows your true character.

I'm still bruised up from what you did to me.

But the bruises will heal.

I'm coming for you, Zbyszko.

And when we meet, mark my words, law and order will stand tall in the ring.

END VIDEO

Pic aired of AWA Women's World Title with the caption: NEXT... CAN WENDI SURVIVE?

Commercials

TV MAIN EVENT - AWA WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Wendi Richter (WC) vs. Magnificent Mimi

Larry Nelson was standing mid-ring with mic in hand.

Both women made their way down their respective aisles and climbed into the ring.

Announcers said they would stay with the match to its conclusion.

Nelson: It is time for our main event.

This contest is scheduled for one-fall with a 30-minute time-limit and is for the AWA Women's World Championship!

You referee is Marty Miller!

Introducing first, the challenger!

She hails from Hollywood, California! Weighing in at 130 pounds...Magnificent Mimi!

Most booed but Mimi also had her fans.

Mimi stepped out of her corner, raised her arms and spun around in her fancy robe ala Ric Flair.

Nelson: And her opponent!

She hails from Dallas, Texas! Weighing at 140 pounds! She is the reigning AWA Women's World Champion...Wendi Richter!

Richter stepped out of her corner and raised her fist in the air. Most of the fans cheered her.

Richter took the belt off, kissed it and handed it off to the ref. Ref held the belt up for all to see before handing it off to Larry Nelson.

Miller called both women out ot the middle of the ring.

Mimi and Richter locked eyes as per wrestling protocol.

Ref patted each woman down and then laid down the ground rules.

Richter and Mimi remained locked in on each other.

Ref sent the women back to their corner.

Blears: Richter weighs 10 pounds more than MImi and having a weight advantage can make a huge difference.

Ref called for the bell.

The two women came out of their corners and circled one another and engaged in a collar-and-elbow tie-up. The two struggled for an advantage and Richter drove Mimi into the ropes. Ref ordered a break and it was clean. The two women circled one another again and engaged in another collar-and-elbow tie-up and Mimi drove Wendi into the corner. Ref ordered another break. Mimi slowly raised her hands like she was breaking and then hit Richter with a shot to the jaw. Richter barely flinched and came firing out of the corner with a series of punches on Mimi as the crowd cheers grew. Richter whipped Mimi into the  ropes and caught Mimi coming off with a dropkick. Mimi up next to the ropes and Wendi charged over and nailed Mimi with a running clothesline that sent Mimi head-over-heels over the top rope and crashing to the floor. Wendi went to go after Mimi but the ref ordered Wendi to stand back. Ref started the 10-count as Mimi made it to her feet by the apron. Wendi blew by the ref and reache down over the top rope to pull Mimi up to the apron but Mimi grabbed Wendi's legs and pulled them out from under Wendi. Wendi crashed to the mat. Mimi pulled Wendi out of the ring. Ref started a new 10-count. Mimi hit Wendi with a trio of forearms to the chest and then whipped Wendi towards the post. Wendi slammed into the post, stumbled forward and went down on the floor. Mimi quickly rolled in and out of the ring to break the 10-count. Richter to her feet and Mimi caught Richter with a couple more forearms to the chest, slammed Richter's head into the apron and threw Wendi back into the ring. Wendi up and Mimi kicked her in the gut. Mimi then hoisted Wendi up for a suplex but Wendi wriggled free and dropped down behind Mimi, ran Mimi into the ropes and rolled up Mimi for the pin. 1...2... Mimi kicked out. Crowd buzzing. Both women up and Mimi walked right into a big boot to the face from Wendi. Mimi crashed to the mat and rolled out on the apron holding her face. Ref ordered Richter to stand back and she did. Ref started the 10-count. Mimi to her feet and holding the top rope. Wendi went over, grabbed the top rope and catapulted Mimi back into the ring and Mimi crashed to the mat to the delight of the crowd. Mimi up and Wendi hit Mimi with another dropkick that sent Mimi crashing to the mat. Mimi up and Wendi went for another dropkick but Mimi moved and Richter crashed to the mat. Mimi quickly covered Wendi. 1..2... Wendi kicked out. Mimi snapped up Wendi, whipped Wendi into the ropes and looked to catch clothesline Wendi coming off but Wendi ducked the clothesline try and came back and caught Mimi with a flying crossbody. Mimi down with Wendi on top of her for the pin. 1...2...thr... Mimi kicked out. Crowd groaned. The two women got up and Mimi caught Richter with a forearm shiver to the side of the head. Richter stunned. Mimi whipped Richter into the ropes and caught Richter coming off with a back elbow to the chest. Richter crashed to the mat.

Mimi took the opportunity to get a few boot licks in on the champ. Mimi snapped Richter up and whipped Richter into the buckles. Mimi charged in looking to hit Richter with a flying dropkick but Richter moved and Mimi crashed to the mat. Crowd popped. Richter grabbed Miimi by the legs, dragged her out to mid-ring and catapaulted Mimi into the corner. Mimi slammed head-first into the My Pillow turnbuckle  pad (you ever see the AWA turnbuckle pads?!), staggered back and crashed to the mat. Richter for the cover. 1...2...thr... Mimi got a shoulder up. Crowd groaned. Just then, a platinum blonde woman came to the ring. She was in a black business pantsuit with white shirt, black heels and sunglasses. She stood at ringside.

Marshall: Who is this?!

Richter grabbed Mimi and whipped her into the corner. Richter moved in and was pounding away on Mimi. As the ref tried to separate them, the mystery woman reached into the ring and pulled Richter's foot out from  under her. Richter crashed to the mat. Mimi for the cover. 1... Mimi placed her feet on the middle buckle. ...2...3! Ref turned and called for the bell.  Fans booing loudly. Mimi quickly took her feet off the middle buckle.

The woman at rignside climbed into the ring as Mimi got to her feet and walked up to Mimi. After briefly looking at each other the pair hugged.

Marshall: What is going on?!

Ref went over to Nelson, who was on the apron, and spoke with Nelson briefly. Ref took the belt from Nelson.

Richter up and furious.

Ref went over and handed Mimi the belt and raised Mimi's hand in victory to pretty strong boss. Mimi and the mystery woman were ecstatic.

Richter went over and shoved the new champion. Ref quickly stepped in to keep the two separate. Wendi started having words with the ref and pointed an accusatory finger at the mystery woman and made a gesture that the woman pulled her foot out from under her. Ref said and gestured by pointing at his eyes that he did not see it. Mimi strutted around the ring holding the belt aloft.

Nelson: In a time of 6 minutes, 40 seconds, your winner...and NEW AWA Women's World Champion...Magnificent Mimi!

The mystery woman then removed here sunglasses revealing her identity.

Marshall: It's Sunshine! Sunshine helped Mimi win the belt! Why?! What's with her involvement in all this?!

WINNER: Mimi - Pinfall - 6:40

END PROGRAM

DARK MATCHES

SUPER CLASH 4 RE-MATCH: Tom Zenk battled Col. DeBeers to a double countout - 10:17 - DeBeers bled

Sam Houston def. Jonnie Stewart via pinfall with his bulldog finisher - 8:33

The Top Guns and Badd Company battled to a No Contest - 16:14

SUPER CLASH 4 RE-MATCH (Pinfalls Count Anywhere): Greg Gagne def. Larry Zbyszko via pinfall with a sunset flip over the top rope (some fighting took place in the crowd) - 13:27

PAID ATTENDANCE: 2,208 (ARENA CAPACITY: 5,500) 

COMPS GIVEN OUT: 601

COMPS USED: 248

TOTAL ATTENDANCE: 2,456

(I'm gonna stick with the 5,500 number though I don't think that was feasible. I've been in that building and it just didn't seem that big. Plus, the largest  attendance I found for a show there at the 'Boat was 3,000. And I've been there when it was full. The 3K number seems more accurate. Just sticking with 5,500 since I've been using it.)

The Magnificent Mimi - Female Wrestling | Women's wrestling, Women,  Wrestling     image.jpeg.50b52afd8d8d1f8d309a669491a866b7.jpeg

SUNNY DAYS FOR MIMI!

Pictured: Mimi (L) & Sunshine (R)

Billboards in October 1980 in Las Vegas.

LAS VEGAS STRIP IN THE DAYLIGHT IN THE EARLY '80S

Edited by piperrulz