AWA 1989: A Financial Savior Is (Badly) Needed

3 hours ago, piperrulz said:

No idea, honestly. I'd be back eventually. But, I'd have to plan, research and write so it would take a few months.

I'm sorry, S912, the only WWF I'd do is before 1984 when Backlund was the reigning champion. Call it an allergy to the WWF. I've liked some of the stuff they've done over the last 40 years. But much of it makes want to go out and beat my head on the sidewalk. Gotta admit I like Gunther, the Bloodline, LA Knight and Brock Lesnar, though.

Can’t argue there at all.  There has been some WWF stuff I liked over the years but honestly today RAW to me is mostly unwatchable, but I occasionally fly thru it.  Agree with the Bloodline, and always have liked Eli Drake (LA Knight).  It’s nice to see him finally get an opportunity and run with it.  I’ve actually really like the development of Rhea Ripley.  

By far my favorite era is the NWA of the 80’s and the other territories of that era.  I’ve often thought about if I did a real world game it would either be an alternate time frame where Magnum TA’s crash wasn’t career ending or around 1986-87 with the AWA.  

That said I hope you keep doing this one for awhile with the new ownership.  Given time there are some many things that can be done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, piperrulz said:

No idea, honestly. I'd be back eventually. But, I'd have to plan, research and write so it would take a few months.

I'm sorry, S912, the only WWF I'd do is before 1984 when Backlund was the reigning champion. Call it an allergy to the WWF. I've liked some of the stuff they've done over the last 40 years. But much of it makes want to go out and beat my head on the sidewalk. Gotta admit I like Gunther, the Bloodline, LA Knight and Brock Lesnar, though.

Okay well why not do a dairy using the death of the territories mod set in 1983? That's right around the time when wwf had it's first tv show all american wrestling air on USA network and setting the stage for the rock n wresting era. One of the good thing about games like this is you have the chance to alter or outright avoid things you didn't like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, piperrulz said:
Deb: We've also been contacted by a network in another country about airing a show.

Bill: What country?

Deb: Canada. And it's CBC, the largest broadcaster in the country, that wants he show.

Jim: Wouldn't we have to tape shows in Canada for airing up there?

Deb: Have to double check on that one.

Bill: If we can't just send a tape of our ESPN show up there, I say we hold off until further notice. Going up there at this time and filming would be cost-prohibitive.

If they want one of our shows taped here, fine. Let them have it. It's good exposure.

But having to travel up there every month should not be on the radar right now.

And this was back when CBC still had some American TV shows on its sched to attract viewers and it also had some privately-owned affiliated stations alongside the network-owned stations.  Today, the private affiliates have all gone off to other networks or gone independent, leaving just the network O&Os (some of which have since closed due to budget cuts), and it dumped all the American shows that they had in favor of an all-Canadian sched - and its ratings have correspondingly gone down the toilet, to where CBC is now the second-smallest and the least-watched of the four main English-language Canadian networks.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sonny912 said:

Okay well why not do a dairy using the death of the territories mod set in 1983? That's right around the time when wwf had it's first tv show all american wrestling air on USA network and setting the stage for the rock n wresting era. One of the good thing about games like this is you have the chance to alter or outright avoid things you didn't like.

I'm probably going to modify my next gamble. I'll explain in an upcoming post. '83 was a great year for wrestling IMO. And you readers of this diary/BTB might be involved in the gamble.

12 hours ago, Old School Fan said:

And this was back when CBC still had some American TV shows on its sched to attract viewers and it also had some privately-owned affiliated stations alongside the network-owned stations.  Today, the private affiliates have all gone off to other networks or gone independent, leaving just the network O&Os (some of which have since closed due to budget cuts), and it dumped all the American shows that they had in favor of an all-Canadian sched - and its ratings have correspondingly gone down the toilet, to where CBC is now the second-smallest and the least-watched of the four main English-language Canadian networks.

I did not know CBC had fallen that far. Living in the Seattle area, we get CBC on cable. Have gotten it since I first got cable in '86. Love Hockey Night In Canada and CFL on CBC when the CFL was on there. Also a fan of Red Green and SCTV! 😃

Maybe you can answer this. In the '80s, the AWA had to tape shows in Winnipeg for broadcast up there because of some Canadian content law. Is that still in effect and do you know if/when it expired? Trying to keep this as real as possible.

Have visited BC a few times over the years for Canucks hockey games. Love the area.

image.jpeg.a9d60b2c792999740d9f96012120955d.jpeg

DUCT TAPE: THE HANDYMAN'S SECRET WEAPON!

Edited by piperrulz

22 hours ago, Theheel said:

Can’t argue there at all.  There has been some WWF stuff I liked over the years but honestly today RAW to me is mostly unwatchable, but I occasionally fly thru it.  Agree with the Bloodline, and always have liked Eli Drake (LA Knight).  It’s nice to see him finally get an opportunity and run with it.  I’ve actually really like the development of Rhea Ripley.  

By far my favorite era is the NWA of the 80’s and the other territories of that era.  I’ve often thought about if I did a real world game it would either be an alternate time frame where Magnum TA’s crash wasn’t career ending or around 1986-87 with the AWA.  

That said I hope you keep doing this one for awhile with the new ownership.  Given time there are some many things that can be done!

I forgot about Rhea. The only woman I'm a fan of there. I'm not a regular watcher myself. But I'll damn sure stop if Gunther's got a match!

I say go for it on a RW diary.

86-87 is right on the cusp of the collapse for the AWA. Interesting to see what you'd do to try and save it.

The BC Lions' gamble will be modified and the diary readers might have a say in something regarding it.

Edited by piperrulz

2 hours ago, piperrulz said:

I forgot about Rhea. The only woman I'm a fan of there. I'm not a regular watcher myself. But I'll damn sure stop if Gunther's got a match!

I say go for it on a RW diary.

86-87 is right on the cusp of the collapse for the AWA. Interesting to see what you'd do to try and save it.

The BC Lions' gamble will be modified and the diary readers might have a say in something regarding it.

Yes I like Gunther as well.  Good hard hitting old school heel.  Now if WWE would bring in Mega Maharishi Imed as a manager, I could get hooked.

• Thanks 1

UPDATE!!!

The BC Lions will host the Calgary Stampeders in the first round of the CFL playoffs.

I've decided to add a twist to the ultimate gamble on this game.

I'm going with a best 2-of-3 format.

If the Lions win, the ultimate gamble is over. (Raiders won the previous gamble.)

If the Lions lose, you readers will choose what the deciding bet/gamble will be.

It will go something like this...

You'll get three choices (this is just an example):

A) March Madness (I'll pick one game in any round)

B) Stanley Cup Playoffs (I'll pick one series in any round)

C) '24 U.S. Prez election

The voters will pick which one they'd want me to gamble on. Simple majority wins. If there's a tie, I will cast the deciding vote.

There must be a minimum of 9 votes for this. If not, I'll pick what will be bet on.

So, you've got this thread for at least another few months.

If the Lions win, then it's over.

If they lose, you might just determine the fate of this diary moving forward.

Voting for this will open after the Lions-Stamps playoff game if the Lions lose.

If I should lose the gamble and this thread folds, this is what will be coming your way a few months from now:

image.gif.d037cb46fa0d39517c10b430a398f224.gif

Edited by piperrulz

image.png.a738a9fc96995a1ed5df4cf17727915c.png

(PREVIOUS POST: Ultimate Gamble 2 Update!!!)

(This is the predictions show.)

AWA WRESTLING ON ESPN - SHOWBOAT SPORTS PAVILION - LAS VEGAS, NV - APRIL 1990

(# - Aired on a previous AWA program.)

(4th Taping)

Show Intro

In-Studio: Larry Nelson welcomed viewers.

Nelson: We have breaking news to start our programming this week.

We have a new AWA World Heavyweight Champion.

At the recent AWA matches in St. Paul, Minnesota, Cactus Jack defeated Sgt. Slaughter to become the new AWA World Champion.

This was a stunning result for everyone. The young Cactus Jack took down the experienced veteran Sgt. Slaughter.

Next week, we will be airing what led to the match and the shocking conclusion of the match right here on AWA programming.

To repeat, Cactus Jack has defeated Sgt. Slaughter to become the new AWA World Champion.

We'll also be hearing from the new champion Cactus Jack and former champion Sgt. Slaughter next week as well.

Nelson then ran down the program:

DOUBLE MAIN EVENT!!!

Kokina Maximus vs. Tom Zenk

&

AWA Women's World Title Match: Magnificent Mimi (w/ Valerie) vs. Wendi Richter

A new WrestleRock Update!

Ken Patera will reveal what was in the envelope Valerie gave him a couple of weeks ago

A message about next week's show from AWA promoter Jim Crockett

Tommy Jammer vs. Akio Sato

And more!

Nelson sent it to the ring in Vegas.

Jonnie Stewart vs. Steve Doll (From Portland Wrestling)

Doll came down the face aisle to little response.

Stewart came down the heel aisle to pretty strong boos.

Doll gave Stewart a battle and had Stewart on the ropes at one point and almost scored the upset victory but couldn't put Stewart away.

In the end, Stewart took control and finished Doll off with a big elbow from the top rope for the 1...2...3!

WINNER: Stewart - Pinfall - 3:41

In-Studio: Nelson talked about Stewart using a new move to defeat Portland's Doll. Said things were changing in the AWA.

Pic aired of AWA promoter Jim Crockett with the caption: NEXT... AWA NEWS!!!

Commercials

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd a video message from promoter Jim Crockett.

VIDEO:

Video opened with a shot of Jim Crockett sitting at his desk in his office.

Jim: Hello.

To begin, we have a new AWA World Champion as Cactus Jack recently defeated Sgt. Slaughter to win the belt.

Next week here on AWA Championship Wrestling on ESPN there will be two big matches.

First, the Destruction Crew will be defending the AWA World Tag Team Titles against the Top Guns.

And, we'll have a number one contender match with the winner getting a World Title shot against new champion Cactus Jack at WrestleRock.

The number one contender match will feature two veterans of the squared circle.

The first contender has had a storied career in this great sport. He is one of the most decorated pro wrestlers in history. But the World Championship has always eluded him. He's been close to capturing the gold, but it's just been out of his grasp. That man is 'Chief' Wahoo McDaniel.

His opponent is a man who has been a successful pro wrestler and has held the NWA World Championship.

Many fans may think Wahoo's opponent is a controversial decision. But, because of his status as a past World Champion, we have decided to slot him in this match.

That wrestler is Tommy 'Wildfire' Rich.

So, it will be Wahoo McDaniel vs. Tommy Rich in a number one contender match next week here on AWA Championship Wrestling on ESPN. And the winner faces Cactus Jack for the AWA World Championship at WrestleRock.

WrestleRock promises to be a great night of professional wrestling.

I'm Jim Crockett. Thank you.

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson discussed the two big matches on the show next week. Said that if Rich beats Wahoo next week, we could be looking at tag team partners facing off for the biggest prize in wrestling.

Said the Destruction Crew could face the biggest threat to their title reign to date when they face the Top Guns next week.

Nelson sent it to the ring in Vegas.

Tommy Jammer vs. Akio Sato

Both men were already in the ring and announced.

Sato took charge early but Jammer fought back and finished Sato off with his Jammer Slam (whip opponent into the buckles, opponent bounces out and is caught in a powerslam) finisher for the pinfall in a less than a minute.

WINNER: Jammer - Pinfall - 0:50

Pic aired of Ken Patera with the caption: NEXT... PATERA RESPONDS!

Commercials/AWA Tour Updates

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd footage from two weeks ago of Valerie confronting Ken Patera after a match.

VIDEO:

# As Ken left the ring, Valerie made her way down the heel aisle with an envelope in hand. Valerie was booed. Valerie caught up to Ken as Ken was about to head up the face aisle and handed Ken the envelope, smiled at Ken and walked off. Patera looked at the envelope and disappeared to the back. Announcers wondered what was in the envelope.

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson sent it back to the ring Vegas where Ken Patera was going to respond to Valerie.

Larry Nelson was standing center ring.

Nelson: Would you please welcome Ken Patera.

Nice crowd pop as Patera made his way down the face aisle to the ring.

Patera climbed in the ring and briefly saluted the crowd,

Nelson: Ken, recently Valerie gave you an envelope as you were leaving the ring after a match. You are here to give a response.

Patera: I am, Larry. I hold in my hand the envelope presented to me as I left the ring after my match with Manny Fernandez.

Nelson: We are all wondering what's in the envelope.

Patera: i'll show you.

Patera opened the envelope and presented the contents to Nelson. It was a check. Nelson looked at the check and his eyes opened really wide.

Nelson: Wow! That's more money than I've ever made in a year! A lot more!

Patera: Could Valerie come to the ring?

Patera took the check back from Nelson.

Pretty strong boos as Valerie made her way down the heel aisle to the ring and climbed in.

Valerie: Mr. Patera. Nice to see you.

Patera: I have your answer, Valerie.

This is a lot of money. There are a lot of zeroes on this check. It would be the biggest singe payday for me in my career. Nothing else could come close to matching it.

So, here's my answer for you.

Valerie and Patera exchanged smiles and then Patera held the check up... and tore it into tiny pieces and tossed it into the air to the delight of the crowd,

Patera: Before I went to prison, with my mindset the way it was then, I would have betrayed my family for that kind of cash.

But, I'm a different man now. I have a conscience and I have to look myself in the mirror every day.

I've been very clear several times now. You've been out here scouting me and I have stated that I would not sign with you under any circumstances. This should drive the point home for good, Valerie. I will not be bought by you.

Crowd cheered.

Valerie (very calm): You have just torn up a healthy six-figure check, Ken.

But, let me just leave you with something to think about.

The cheers of these fans out here: how much money do they make you?

You don't get paid by the cheer. Their cheers don't pay your mortgage. Their cheers don't pay for your car repairs. Their cheers don't keep the lights on in your home. The cheers don't run the air conditioning or the laundry machine or put clothes on your back or food on the table. These fans' cheers pay for absolutely nothing and they never will.

My offer still stands, Ken. This torn up check that lays on the mat can always be voided and a new one issued.

And the only thing you have to say is: Yes.

I can take you to the Promised Land, Ken. Just look at what I've done for Mimi.

With me, you'd be the front man for the band and not one of the backing musicians. Do you want to be Huey Lewis or the News*? The choice is up to you.

Valerie turned and calmly left the ring and headed back up the heel aisle to boos and shocked gasping from the crowd. Patera was left spechless.

Nelson: Ken, anything to say?

Patera (subdued voice): I've shown everyone where I stand.

Patera turned and left the ring with a look of deep thought on his face. He didn't respond to the mixed reaction of cheers and silence from the crowd.

Pic aired of the WrestleRock logo with the caption: NEXT... WRESTLEROCK UPDATE!!!

Commercials

VIDEO:

WrestleRock Update!!!

Eric Bischoiff was seated behind a big desk with the WrestleRock logo on the wall behind him.

Eric: Hi, everybody! This is Eric Bischoff coming to you from the WrestleRock Control Center with this week's AWA WrestleRock Update!

The event will be taking place on Sunday, May 20th at 1pm Central Time at the Sioux Falls Arena in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Tickets are now on sale for this big event. You can get your seats by contacting TicketMaster, by calling the Sioux Falls Arena at (605) 555-8287 or visiting the Sioux Falls Arena box office.

Coming from out of town? Sioux Falls has several hotels in the area to accommodate your stay.

The first match for WrestleRock has already been signed!

It will be a 10-man tag match pitting The Trooper, the Top Guns, Ken Patera and Brad Rheingans against Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion Greg Valentine, Badd Company and World Tag Team Champions The Destruction Crew.

That promises to be a wild match!

PLUS! With long-time AWA President Stanley Blackburn retiring, the new AWA President will be revealed at WrestleRock!

WrestleRock is already shaping up to be a great event and you fans will want to be there to see it.

But if you can't make it to the show, well, we've got you covered!

WrestleRock will be airing LIVE on ESPN at 1pm Central Time on May 20th!

Be sure to tune in to AWA programming next week for the latest WrestleRock news!

I'm Eric Bischoff. See you at ringside.

END VIDEO

Pic aired of Kokina with the caption: NEXT... KOKINA VS. ZENK!!!

Commercials

DOUBLE MAIN EVENT #1

Tom Zenk vs. Kokina Maximus (Open Challenge Match)

Shot of the infamous stretcher at ringside.

Tom Zenk came to the ring down the face aisle to a good crowd response. Once in the ring, Zenk saluted the fans.

Loud rumbling noise followed by an explosion filled the arena as Kokina, manager Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey and the Masked Doctor made their way down the heel aisle to the ring. Fans booed their arrival.

Kokina climbed in the ring with Kaissey and the doc. Kaissey had final words with Kokina and Kaissey and the doc left for the floor.

Ref called for the bell.

Zenk charged out of his corner and Kokina walked right into a dropkick from Zenk. Kokina stunned. Zenk blasted Kokina with a second dropkick. Kokina wobbly. Znek hit a third dropkick on Kokina. Kokina stumbled back and crashed into the buckles. Crowd cheering on Zenk. Zenk moved in and battered the shocked Kokina with punches. Kokina staggered out of the corner by the ropes. Zenk kicked Kokina in the gut and then whipped Kokina in the ropes and caught Kokina coming off with a clothesline that stunned Kokina. Zenk picked up Kokina for a bodyslam but Zenk buckled under Kokina's lard mountain and crashed to the mat with Kokina on top of him. Kokina for the pin. 1...2... Zenk got a shoulder up. Kokina snapped Zenk up and blasted Zenk with a couple of headbutts, the second of which sent Zenk crashing to the mat. Kokina stomped away on Zenk. Kokina snapped Zenk up and whipped Zenk into the corner. Kokina charged in with an avalanche attempt but Zenk moved out of the way and Kokina crashed front-first into the buckles. Kokina turned and staggered out of the corner as the fans were into it. Zenk quickly regained his bearings. Zenk caught Kokina with some head shots followed by an enzuigiri that stunned Kokina but did not take him off his feet. Zenk came up behind Kokina, grabbed Kokina's left leg and Kokina wobbled and then crashed to the mat. Zenk rolled back on Kokina holding the leg for the pin. 1...2... Kokina kicked Zenk off with such force that Zenk shot through the top and middle rope and crashed to the floor. Kokina slowly to his feet shaking out the effects of the Zenk assault. Ref ordered Kokina back and began the 10-count. As the count grew, Zenk made it to his feet and onto the apron. Kokina went over and chopped Zenk in both sides of the neck and popped Zenk with a headbutt. Zenk wobbled but Kokina not letting go of Zenk's hair. Kokina ran Zenk down the apron and slammed Zenk's head into the top buckle. Zenk on stagger street. Kokina pulled Zenk into the ring through the top and middle rope. Ref reprimanded Kokina. Kokina whipped Zenk into the ropes and caught Zenk coming off with a brutal savate kick. Zenk crashed to the mat. Kokina then hit Zenk with a leg drop for the pin. 1...2...thr... Kokina pulled Zenk up by the hair. Ref reprimanded Kokina and that went over like a fart in church. Kokina stomped Zenk, snapped Zenk up and whipped Zenk into the corner. Kokina moved in with a gut kick and then turned facing away from Zenk and backed into Zenk three times. Zenk stumbled out of the corner and crashed to the mat. Kokina stood with his heavy foot on Zenk's throat and broke the illegal move at the count of 4. Ref ordered Kokina back and checked on Zenk. Zenk made it to his feet by the ropes. Kokina moved in and Zenk stunned Kokina with a gut kick followed by stomping on Kokina's foot. Crowd popped. Kokina hobbled around the ring and Zenk came up behind Kokina and jumped on Kokina's back and locked Kokina in the sleeper. Kokina trying to throw Zenk off but Zenk hanging on like he was riding a wild bull. Kokina then backed into the corner and Zenk slammed into the buckles and lost his grip on the hold. Zenk staggered out by the ropes. Kokina caught Zenk with a chop to the back of the neck. Kokina whipped Zenk into the ropes and swung wildy and missed as Zenk came off the ropes and Zenk came back with a flying bodypress on Kokina but Kokina caught Zenk and turned it into a powerslam. Zenk flatlined. Kokina to his feet, snapped up Zenk and popped Zenk with a  belly-to-belly suplex. Kokina for the cover. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the fans booed. Kokina up and the ref raised his hand in victory.

Marshall: Zenk lost! But he put up a helluva fight!

After the match, Kaissey jumped up on the ring apron and yelled out instructions to Kokina. Kokina dragged the defeated Zenk to the corner, mounted the middle buckle and came off with his Bonzai Drop (ass drop to the chest) finisher. Crowd popped as Don Muraco charged down the face aisle with a chair (Showboat chairs were unfolding high-back chairs with a cushioned seat and back with a gold metal frame.) As Kokina climbed off of Zenk, Muraco came up behind Kokina and slammed Kokina across the back with the back of the chair. Crowd exploded. Kokina staggered. Muraco struck Kokina a second time. Kokina on stagger street. Kaissey hit the ring and Muraco speared Kaissey in the gut with the top of the chair. Kaissey bent over and Muraco slammed the chair across Kaissey's back. Crowd going nuts. Kaissey crashed to the mat and rolled out of the ring onto the apron. Kokina turned and Muraco hit Kokina over the head with chair. Kokina seeing funny lights and symbols like in a cartoon. Several wrestlers and officials poured out of the back and quickly hit the ring to keep the two apart. Kokina in the corner, still on his feet, shaking out the effects of the assault as the fans were still eating it up.

Larry Nelson climbed up on the ring apron with mic in hand at the behest of Muraco.

Muraco: Kokina Maximus! I'm your next open challenge match opponent! You son of a (bleep)!

Crowd roared.

Blears: For the first time since he's been here, Lee, Kokina's force was met with serious force.

Marshall: Indeed, Lord James! And I enjoyed every minute of it!

WINNER: Kokina - Pinfall - 6:27

Video aired of Richter and Mimi in  action from an earlier match with the caption: NEXT... RE-MATCH!!!

Commercials

MAIN EVENT #2 - AWA WOMEN'S WORLD TITLE MATCH

Magnificent Mimi (WC - w/ Valerie) vs. Wendi Richter

Richter came down the face aisle to a strong ovation from the fans. Richter slapped hands with fans on the way to the ring and acknowledged the fans once in the ring.
Invincible by Pat Benatar filled the arena and Mimi and Valerie came down the heel aisle to strong boos but also had their fans.

Once in the ring, Mimi opened her robe and took off the belt and held it aloft for fans to see to more boos.

Larry Nelson did the ring intro's.

Ref took the belt and held it aloft for all to see before handing it off to Nelson.

Ref called both women to the center of the ring. Val came out with Mimi.

Ref laid down the ground rules and patted both women down.

Ref ordered the women back to their corners.

Val had final words with Mimi before leaving the ring.

Announcers could not help but notice the fancy coat Val was wearing.

Ref called for the bell.

The two women circled one another and Mimi struck Wendi with a forearm smash to the chest. Wendi repaid Mimi with one of her own. The two then traded forearm smashes. Wendi gained the upper hand, whipped Mimi into the ropes and caught Mimi coming off with a high backdrop. Mimi slammed to the mat. Mimi up and Richter grabbed Mimi and went to whip Mimi into the ropes but Mimi reversed and looked to catch Richter coming off with a backdrop but Richter caught Mimi in a sunset flip. Mimi struggled not to go over but Richter was able to flip Mimi for the pin. 1...2... Mimi kicked out. Richter grabbed Mimi by the hair and snap mared the champ. Richter then grabbed Mimi's arms and pulled them behind MImi's back and Richter put her foot in the middle of Mimi's back and drove her face-first into the mat in a modified surfboard submission hold. Mimi refused to give in. Richter snapped Mimi up and went to whip Mimi into the ropes but Mimi reversed and caught Richter coming off with a clothesline. Richter slammed to the mat. Mimi moved in and put the boots to Richter. Richter up bent over and Mimi hit Richter with a knee lift. Richter crashed to the mat. Mimi for the cover. 1...2... Richter kicked out. Mimi grabbed Richter as Richter was getting up and whipped Richter into the buckles. Wendi slammed into them, stumbled out of the corner and crashed to the mat. Mimi moved in and put Wendi in the spinning toe hold. Mimi spun around and tightened her grip on the hold but Richter would not submit. Mimi then spun again and Richter reached up and caught Mimi in a small package for the pin. 1...2...thr... Mimi kicked out. Crowd groaned. Richter up hobbling from the toe hold. Valerie anxiously looking on from ringside. Mimi up and walked right into a gut kick from Richter. Richter grabbed Mimi by the hair and slammed Mimi face-first into the mat. Richter snapped Mimi up and repeated the move. Richter for the cover. 1...2...thr... Mimi kicked out. Crowd groaned.

Blears: Richter is within an eyelash of regaining the belt. How much longer can Mimi hang on?

Both women up and Richter nailed Mimi with a boot to the chest. Mimi crashed back to the mat by the ropes and stuck her head out through the top and bottom rope. Ref ordered Richter back and she did as told. Val came over and whispered something to MImi. Mimi  back in the ring and made it to her feet. The two women locked up in a collar-and-elbow and Mimi caught Richter with a knee to the gut and clubbed Richter across the back multiple times. Mimi went to hoist Richter up for the powerbomb but Richter twice blocked the move and backdropped Mimi to the mat.  Richter backed up as Mimi made it to her feet. Mimi up and Richter charged in and nailed MImi with a flying forearm shiver to the side of the head. Mimi crashed down by the ropes as the crowd popped.  Mimi up with her head and arms now hanging out over the middle rope. Richter went to go after Mimi but the ref intercepted her and ordered her back, Ref started the 10-count. Only a couple of seconds in, Richter went to go after Mimi again. Ref intercepted the challenger and ordered her to stand back. While Richter and the ref were distracted with each other and having words. Val reached into her fancy jacket pocket and appeared to pull something out and hand it to Mimi.

Marshall: Not certain, but I think Valerie just slipped something to Mimi.

Mimi now back in the ring on her knees and balled up. Richter blew past the ref and grabbed Mimi by the hair and started pulling her when... WHAM!... Mimi caught Richter flush in the jaw with a right hand. Richter crashed down to the mat. Mimi covered Richter and hid her right hand next to her thigh. 1...2...3! Loud howls of protest from the crowd with several pointing an accusatory finger at Valerie. Valerie quickly climbed into the ring as the ref went over and talked to Larry Nelson. Val and Mimi appeared to shake hands (or did Mimi slip something to her?). Ref took the belt from Nelson and Nelson announced Mimi as the winner and the ref raised her hand in victory and handed her the belt. Richter now sitting up in the ring. Mimi briefly paraded the belt to boos before she and Valerie left the ring for the floor.

Richter up holding her jaw. Larry Nelson stepped into the ring with mic in hand.

Richter: That's it! I've had enough!

Richter grabbed her jaw briefly.

Mimi and Val standing on the floor looking on.

Richter: I'm winning this match and all of a sudden... BOOM!.. I'm knocked senseless by one punch! Mimi, you punch hard but not that hard! Either you now have the power of Superman or you hit me with a weapon!

Val and Mimi vehemently denying it on the floor with head shakes and saying 'No!'.

Richter: Valerie! I'd be the women's world champion if not for you interfering on behalf of Mimi! You cost me the title when I lost it to Mimi! And tonight, you made sure I didn't regain the belt!

Well, I want the new AWA bosses to listen to me!

Mimi! I want a powerbomb vs. powerbomb match with you! The first one to powerbomb the other wins the match!

And, just to make sure the match is fair, I want to AWA officials to make sure Valerie can't interfere during the match!

Crowd popped. Val and Mimi not happy campers at ringside.

WINNER: Mimi - Pinfall - 6:03

END PROGRAM

DARK MATCHES (Vegas)

AWA WORLD TITLE: Sgt. Slaughter (WC) def. Greg Valentine (PWHC) via pinfall with the Cannon - 22:14

Destruction Crew (WTTC) & Jonnie Stewart def. Greg Gagne, Jake Milliman & Jerry Blackwell via pinfall when Stewart pinned Gagne with a roll-up holding the tights. - 12:23

Don Muraco def. Bob Orton via pinfall with his inverted piledriver finisher - 8:41

PAID ATTENDANCE: 3,104

FREE TICKETS GIVEN OUT: 506

FREE TICKETS USED: 287

TOTAL ATTENDANCE: 3,391

(Attendance is up. Fans curious about the start of the new era?)

(* Huey Lewis and the News. Popular '80s band.)

Edited by piperrulz
  • Like 2

PREDICTION RESULTS:

(# of votes really dropped from previous times since I openly speculated whether or not the COVID jab may have played a role in the death of Bray Wyatt. I stand by that speculation.)

Winning picks in brackets...

The heel - 3/5 (Tommy Jammer, Kokina Maximus, Jonnie Stewart)

OSF - 3/5 (Same as The heel)

DHK1989 - 5/5 (Everything)

Congrats DHK1989! Take a bow! 🙂

You not only get the video reward below, you're also getting an all-expenses paid trip to DisneyLand in your mind! 🙃

Here's your video reward:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, piperrulz said:

PREDICTION RESULTS:

(# of votes really dropped from previous times since I openly speculated whether or not the COVID jab may have played a role in the death of Bray Wyatt. I stand by that speculation.)

Winning picks in brackets...

The heel - 3/5 (Tommy Jammer, Kokina Maximus, Jonnie Stewart)

OSF - 3/5 (Same as The heel)

DHK1989 - 5/5 (Everything)

Congrats DHK1989! Take a bow! 🙂

You not only get the video reward below, you're also getting an all-expenses paid trip to DisneyLand in your mind! 🙃

Well not that it mattered but I’m giving myself 4 out of 5.  

PREDICTIONS WELCOME!!!

These predictions are for the next episode of AWA on ESPN. There will be an episode of All-Star Wrestling posted before the ESPN episode.

#1 Contender Match (Winner faces Cactus Jack for the AWA World Title at WrestleRock - Wahoo McDaniel vs. Tommy Rich

(If Rich wins, he faces his tag team partner for the belt.)

AWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Destruction Crew (WTTC) vs. Top Guns

PLUS!

What two matches do you think will be added on the WrestleRock Update?

Winner gets a video reward and free corn subsidies for 30 minutes! 😀

Edited by piperrulz

image.png.7f13430bf15598151b2472bf6e3dfdfd.png

(Due to time constraints, this post will only have match re-caps and not full match layouts for the main matches.)

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING - ZORN ARENA - EAU CLAIRE, WI - APRIL 1990

Announcers: Lee Marshall & Lord James Blears

Ring-Announcer/Interviewer: Larry Nelson

(# - Aired on another AWA program.)

(4th Taping)

In-Studio: Larry Nelson welcomed viewers and said there was breaking news.

Nelson reported that Cactus Jack had recently defeated Sgt. Slaughter to become the new AWA World Champion. Said Jack defeated Sarge in St. Paul, MN.

Nelson said they'll show how Jack won the belt next week, plus interviews with the new champ and former champ,

TV MAIN EVENT: Sam Houston (w/ Coach Murdoch) vs. Jonnie Stewart

A new WrestleRock Update

A look back at Don Muraco beating PWHC Greg Valentine last week in a non-title affair

An announcement from promoter Jim Crockett

NON-TITLE: The Destruction Crew (WTTC) vs. U.S. Males (Curtis Thompson & Ricky Santana - From Portland Wrestling)

The Top Guns vs. Moondog Moretti & Al Madril (From Portland Wrestling)

And more!

Nelson sent it to the ring in Eau Claire.

Greg Gagne & Jake Milliman def. The Masked Conquistadors via submission when Greg put C #1 out with the Gagne Sleeper (TM)

Good, short match between the two teams.

Gagne and Milliman came to the ring to a strong ovation from the crowd.

Once in the ring, Milliman tore off his '2% Forever' t-shirt and threw it into the crowd.

After the match, the victors did some less-than-impressive posing.

WINNER: Gagne & Milliman - Submission - 4:34

Video aired from the Muraco-Valentine non-title match with the caption: NEXT... MURACO MAKES HIS MOVE!!!

Commercials

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd footage from last week's non-title match between PWHC Greg Valentine and Don Muraco.

VIDEO:

# Muraco got up facing away from Greg as Greg made it to his feet, came up behind Muraco and hit Muraco with chop block to the back of the knee. Muraco crumpled to the mat. Greg up, grabbed Muraco's left leg and wrapped Muraco up in the figure four. Fans urging Muraco not to submit. Muraco fighting hard to stay in the game. Muraco then found the strength to start reversing the hold. After a brief struggle, Muraco succeeded in turning the hold. Now Greg was in pain as the fans popped. The hold was broken up. Both men got to their feet and were hobbling.

Valentine pounced on Muraco and pounded away on the big Hawaiian. Valentine then went to whip Muraco into the ropes but Muraco reversed and caught Greg coming off with a powerslam. Crowd popped. Muraco up and hobbled around signaling it was time for his inverted piledriver finisher. Muraco snapped Valentine up, hoisted Valentine upside down and then his left knee buckled from Valentine's earlier assault and Muraco dropped Greg on his back and crashed to his knees. Valentine to his feet as Muraco was getting up and Valentine kicked Muraco in the left knee area and Muraco doubled over in pain. Valentine moved in with elbows to the back of the neck. Valentine then went to hoist Muraco up for the piledriver but Muraco twice blocked the move and backdropped Valentine to the mat. Muraco hobbling as Valentine got to his feet. Greg charged at Muraco and Muraco blasted Valentine with a big right hand that stunned Valentine. Muraco hoisted Valentine across his shoulders and nailed Valentine with a second Samoan Drop. Crowd roaring as Muraco covered Valentine. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the cheering continued.

In-Studio: Nelson said the win surely means Muraco is getting a title shot in the near future.

Nelson then intro'd an announcement from promoter Jim Crockett.

VIDEO:

# VIDEO:

Video opened with a shot of Jim Crockett sitting at his desk in his office.

Jim: Hello.

Next week here on AWA Championship Wrestling on ESPN there will be two big matches.

First, the Destruction Crew will be defending the AWA World Tag Team Titles against the Top Guns.

And, we'll have a number one contender match with the winner getting a World Title shot against new champion Cactus Jack at WrestleRock.

The number one contender match will feature two veterans of the squared circle.

The first contender has had a storied career in this great sport. He is one of the most decorated pro wrestlers in history. But the World Championship has always eluded him. He's been close to capturing the gold, but it's just been out of his grasp. That man is 'Chief' Wahoo McDaniel.

His opponent is a man who has been a successful pro wrestler and has held the NWA World Championship.

Many fans may think Wahoo's opponent is a controversial decision. But, because of his status as a past World Champion, we have decided to slot him in this match.

That wrestler is Tommy 'Wildfire' Rich.

So, it will be Wahoo McDaniel vs. Tommy Rich in a number one contender match next week here on AWA Championship Wrestling on ESPN. And the winner faces Cactus Jack for the AWA World Championship at WrestleRock.

WrestleRock promises to be a great night of professional wrestling.

I'm Jim Crockett. Thank you.

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson discussed the two big matches on the show next week. Said that if Rich beats Wahoo next week, we could be looking at tag team partners facing off for the biggest prize in wrestling.

Said the Destruction Crew could face the biggest threat to their title reign to date when they face the Top Guns next week.

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... CHAMPS IN ACTION!!!

Market-specific promos for house show cities/Generic promos for non-house show cities/Commercials

Non-Title: Destruction Crew (WTTC) vs. U.S. Males (Curtis Thompson & Ricky Santana - From Portland Wrestling)

Males came to the ring down the face aisle to very little crowd response.

Destruction crew came to the ring down the heel aisle to mostly boos but also had their supporters.
Announcers drove home the point U.S. Males were from Portland Wrestling.

The Males showed themselves to be worthy opponents and almost scored the upset win over the champs as they prepare for their title defense next week against the Guns. Fans got into the Northwest visitors.Champs were able to pull out the pinfall win when Bloom pinned Santana after the Wrecking Ball (Doomsday Device)

WINNERS: Destruction Crew - Pinfall - 7:10

Pic aired of the WrestleRock logo with the caption: NEXT... WRESTLEROCK UPDATE!!!

Commercials

VIDEO:

WrestleRock Update!!!

Eric Bischoiff was seated behind a big desk with the WrestleRock logo on the wall behind him.

Eric: Hi, everybody! This is Eric Bischoff coming to you from the WrestleRock Control Center with this week's AWA WrestleRock Update!

The event will be taking place on Sunday, May 20th at 1pm Central Time at the Sioux Falls Arena in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Tickets are now on sale for this big event. You can get your seats by contacting TicketMaster, calling the Sioux Falls Arena box office at (605) 555-8287 or visiting the arena box office.

Sioux Falls has several hotels in the area to accommodate your stay.

The first match for WrestleRock has already been signed!

It will be a 10-man tag match pitting The Trooper. the Top Guns, Ken Patera and Brad Rheingans against Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion Greg Valentine, Badd Company and World Tag Team Champions The Destruction Crew.

That promises to be a wild match!

PLUS! With long-time AWA President Stanley Blackburn retiring, the new AWA President will be revealed at WrestleRock!

WrestleRock is already shaping up to be a great event and you fans will want to be there to see it.

But if you can't make it to the show, well, we've got you covered!

WrestleRock will be airing LIVE on ESPN at 1pm Central Time on May 20th!

Be sure to tune in to AWA programming next week for latest WrestleRock news!

I'm Eric Bischoff. See you at ringside.

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson discussed WrestleRock and told fans to keep tuning in for more updates over the next few weeks.

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... MORE TAG TEAM ACTION!!!

Top Guns (Ricky Rice & Derrick Dukes) vs. Al Madril & Moondog Moretti (From Portland Wrestling)

Madril and Moretti came to the ring down the heel aisle to some boos as some fans recognized them,

Announcers said Moretti and Madril were from Portland Wrestling.

Madril and Moretti gave the #1 contenders for the tag titles a battle and used heel tactics to try and steal the victory.

End of the match saw Madril and Rice the legal men in the ring. Madril was on the offensive. Madril worked Rice over and whipped Rice into the ropes and looked to catch Rice coming off with a backdrop but Rice caught Madril with a sunset flip and, after a brief struggle, took Rice over with a sunset flip. 1...2...thr... Moretti hit the ring and kicked Rice in the back to break up the pin try. Dukes charged in and pulverized Moretti with a running clothesline that dropped Moretti as the crowd popped. Moretti rolled out of the ring and Dukes gave chase, dropping to the floor and pulling Moretti off the apron. Madril worked over Rice and prepared to srike Rice with the Asiatic Spike but Rice blocked the try and fired away on Madril with head shots. Rice whipped Madril into the ropes and caught Madril coming off wtih a dropkick that sent Madril crashing to the mat. Dukes and Moretti fighting at ringside. Rice backed up in the ring as Madril got to his feet. Rice charged in and caught Madril with a flying bodypress for the pin. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the fans cheered,

Announcers said the Top Guns were looking like championship material.

WINNER: Top Guns - 7:31

In-Studio: Nelson hyped the World Tag Team Title match coming up next week!

Split-screen pic aired of Sam Houston and Jonnie Stewart with the caption: NEXT... SAM VS. JONNIE!!!

Market specific promos for house show cities/Generic promos for non-house show cities/Commercials

In-Studio: Nelson announced once again that Cactus Jack is the new AWA World Champion. Said they'll show how Jack won it next week. PLUS! Interviews with the new champion and former champ.

Hyped for next week on ESPN:

WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Destruction Crew (WTTC - w/ Mgr. DDP) vs. Top Guns

#1 CONTENDER MATCH: Wahoo Mc Daniel vs. Tommy Rich (Winner faces Cactus Jack for the World Title at WrestleRock.)

Nelson pointed out if Rich wins, he'll face his tag team partner for the belt at WrestleRock.

Nelson sent it to Eau Claire for the main event.

Sam Houston (w/ Coach Murdoch) vs. Jonnie Stewart

Houston and Murdoch came down the face aisle to a good response from the fans. Sam slapped hands with fans on the way to the ring.

Once in the ring, Sam briefly played to the crowd,

Stewart came down the heel aisle to strong boos.

Match started fast and didnt let up. Near falls for both men in the bout. Stewart did a couple of heel tactics during the match.

End of the match saw Sam on the offensive. Sam worked Stewart over with punches, whipped Stewart into the corner and nailed Stewart with a dropkick. Stewart limp in the corner. Sam grabbed Stewart in a side headlock and went for his bulldog finisher but Stewart pushed Sam off and Sam crashed to the mat. Stewart up as Sam was getting up. Stewart pounded on Sam, whipped Sam into the corner and nailed Sam with a running knee to the gut. Sam stumbled out of the corner holding his gut and Stewart caught Sam with a knee lift to the chest. Sam crashed to the mat. As the ref checked on Sam, Stewart, behind the ref's back, adjusted his left knee pad and there was no doubt a foreign object was sticking out of the pad. Fans and Murdoch yelling that Stewart has a weapon in his knee pad.

Marshall: If you still have questions as to whether or not Stewart loads his knee pad, there's your answer.
Sam up and Stewart moved in and caught Sam with some punches, whipped Sam into the ropes and caught Sam coming off with his flying loaded knee to the gut finisher. Sam crashed to the mat. Stewart for the cover. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell.

Crowd booing as Stewart got to his feet and the ref raised his hand in victory. Stewart strutting around the ring victoriously as the fans booed loudly. Murdoch climbed into the ring and talked to the ref and gestured that Stewart had something in his knee pad. Ref gestured he didn't see anything and pointed to his own eyes. As Stewart continued to strut around the ring, Murdoch came up behind Stewart and grabbed Stewart's left leg. Stewart fighting to free himself from Murdoch as Murdoch reached into the knee pad and pulled out a wrapped foreign object and showed it to the ref. Ref looked at the object and then Stewart. Stewart defiantly threw his hands in the air and the ref pulled one of them down and waved off the win and went over, as a stunned Sam got to his feet, and raised Sam's hand in victory to the delight of the crowd as the program went off the air.

WINNER: Houston - Reverse Decision - 8:24

END PROGRAM

DARK MATCHES

AWA WORLD TITLE*: Sgt. Slaughter def. Col. DeBeers via pinfall with the Cannon - 12:29

AWA WOMEN'S WORLD TITLE: Magnificent Mimi (w/ Valerie) def. Candi Divine via pinfall with her feet on the ropes - 8:17

STREET FIGHT: Top Guns def. Badd Co. when Rice pinned Tanaka after Diamond's interference backfired - 11:44

(*Tapings occured before Sarge dropped the strap.)

ATTENDANCE: 2,871

Edited by piperrulz
  • Like 2

STILL TIME TO GET YOUR PREDICTIONS IN!!!

These predictions are for the next episode of AWA on ESPN. There will be an episode of All-Star Wrestling posted before the ESPN episode.

#1 Contender Match (Winner faces Cactus Jack for the AWA World Title at WrestleRock - Wahoo McDaniel vs. Tommy Rich

PLUS!

What two matches do you think will be added on the WrestleRock Update?

Winner gets a video reward and free corn subsidies for 30 minutes! 😀

YOUR REIGNING AWA WORLD CHAMPION!!!

image.thumb.jpeg.29e0fa26423f99d1f403456a28b5326d.jpeg

Edited by piperrulz

episode.

#1 Contender Match (Winner faces Cactus Jack for the AWA World Title at WrestleRock - Wahoo McDaniel vs. Tommy Rich

My prediction is the following.  Thanks to interference by Col DeBeers, Tommy Rich will get a victory and will face Cactus for the title.  The interference will lead to a Wahoo vs DeBeers match below

(If Rich wins, he faces his tag team partner for the belt.)

AWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Destruction Crew (WTTC) vs. Top Guns

The Pop Guns are just not quite good enough to win the belts and DDP helps his crew prevail by devious methods.  This will force the new AWA President to force a deciding match at WrestleRock 

PLUS!

What two matches do you think will be added on the WrestleRock Update?

Col DeBeers vs Wahoo McDaniels

Destruction Crew vs Top Guns

• Thanks 1

Okay, here we go...

AWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Destruction Crew (WTTC) vs. Top Guns (via DQ - knowing Bloom and Enos, they'll figure out a way to hang on to their belts)

PLUS! (at WrestleRock)

AWA World Heavyweight title - Cactus Jack (C) vs. Wahoo McDaniel

AWA World Women's title - Magnificent Mimi (C) vs. Wendi Richter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

image.png.ed794176ef4c74bef60a1fe86f4c30b7.png

(PREDICTIONS EPISODE.)

(BEFORE THE SHOW IN THE ARENA: Larry Nelson announced that Cactus Jack def. Sgt. Slaughter to become the new AWA World Champeen in St. Paul on April 19.)

AWA WRESTLING ON ESPN - SHOWBOAT SPORTS PAVILION - LAS VEGAS, NV - MAY 1990

Announcers: Lee Marshall & Lord James Blears

Ring Announcer/Interviewer: Larry Nelson

(# Aired on a previous AWA program.)

(1st Taping)

Show Intro

Larry Nelson welcomed viewers and ran down the program:

#1 CONTENDER MATCH - Winner gets a World Title shot at WrestleRock - Wahoo McDaniel vs. Tommy Rich

Another WrestleRock Update with big news!

And more!

Nelson said they were gonna kick off the program showing how Cactus Jack got the World Title shot on April 19 in St. Paul, MN. That would be followed by Jack defeating Slaughter to win the World Title.

VIDEO:

Video opened with a shot of all the wrestlers on the card (except Sarge) in St. Paul standing in the ring.

The heels were on one side of the ring and the faces were on the other.

In the middle, Larry Nelson stood with AWA Prez Stanley Blackburn and in front of them was a bingo basket with the name of every wrestler in it.

Nelson: Good evening, wrestling fans!

This is the drawing to determine who will challenge Sgt. Slaughter for the AWA World Championship tonight!

Crowd cheered.

Nelson: With me is AWA President Stanley Blackburn.

President Blackburn, go ahead and spin the basket and draw out the name of the challenger.

Blackburn spun the basket around with the hand crank and then opened the door of the basket and drew out a piece of paper.

Blackburn looked at the paper for a moment.

Blackburn: The man who will be challenging Sgt. Slaughter for the AWA World Championship tonight is... Cactus Jack!

A buzz mixed with boos rippled through the crowd.

Cactus looked shocked and then was congratulated by most of the heels.

Nelson: You all heard it! Sgt. Slaughter will be defending the AWA World Championship tonight against Cactus Jack!

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson said that's how Jack got the title shot that night in St. Paul.

Nelson then intro'd the match, joined in progress, of Sarge defending against Cactus Jack.

VIDEO:

It had been a wild affair between the two combatants. The match was more brawl than wrestling match. Both men had chances to win but couldn't put the other away.

End of the match saw Jack on the offensive. Jack worked over Sarge and then whipped Sarge into the corner. Jack charged in and Sarge got a boot up and Jack slammed face-first into it.  Jack spun around and stumbled away from Sarge and Sarge charged out of the corner and dropped Jack with a running clothesline to the back of the neck. Jack crashed to the mat. Sarge snapped Jack up in a front facelock and Jack struggled to free himself from the hold.  Jack, still in the hold,  grabbed Sarge and rammed Sarg towards the ropes and Sarge collided with the referee and the referee fell out of the ring and crashed to the floor. Jack freed from the hold. Jack caught Sarge with a couple of head shots and then went to suplex Sarge but Sarge blocked the move and blasted Jack with an inverted suplex slam (gourdbuster). Crowd popped. Ref still down on the floor. Sarge circled around behind Jack as Jack got to his feet and Sarge moved in and caught Jack in the Cobra Clutch. Jack struggling to free himself from the hold. Tommy Rich charged down the heel aisle, hit the ring behind Sarge and nailed Sarge with a forearm smash to the back to free Jack from the hold. Ref still struggling to recover on the floor. Rich started hammering away on Sarge and Jack recovered and joined in. The two briefly pounded on Sarge and then whipped Sarge into the ropes and looked to catch Sarge coming off with a double clothesline but Sarge ducked the move and came back and hit Jack and Rich with a...

Marshall: Double Cannon! Double Cannon!

Rich and Jack crashed to the mat as the crowd exploded. Sarge snapped up Rich and tossed Rich over the top rope to the floor as the fans got louder. Ref managed to climb up on the apron but still down facing the crowd.  Sarge covered Jack for a second and then got up and went over to check on the ref. Col. DeBeers came down the heel aisle to loud boos from the crowd. DeBeers climbed in the ring behind Sarge. Sarge had shaken the ref to get him to come to. Sarge let go of the ref and walked right into a boot to the gut from DeBeers. DeBeers then nailed Sarge with his face-first piledriver finisher. DeBeers turned Sarge over. Cactus crawled over and covered Sarge with one arm. DeBeers grabbed the woozy ref and dragged him over to count and DeBeers dropped to the floor. Ref counted. 1.....2.....3! Ref called for the bell as most of the fans booed but some cheered.

Jack up and the ref staggered over and took the belt from Larry Nelson and said something to him.

Ref went over and handed Jack the belt and raised Jack's hand in victory.

Nelson: In a time of 11 minutes, 6 seconds, your winner... and NEW AWA World Heavyweight Champion... Cactus Jack!
More boos but also some cheers.

Jack hugged the belt closely to his chest and walked around in the ring for a moment and looked out at the crowd. Jack then left the ring as the ref checked on Sarge. DeBeers had disappeared to the back. Rich had recovered on the floor and saw Jack with the belt.

Rich picked up on a mic.

Rich: You really won?!

Jack: I did! They're gonna be so proud of me back at the institution!

Rich started to celebrate on the floor and raised Jack's hand in victory before the two disappeared back up the heel  aisle.

WINNER: Jack - Pinfall - 11:06

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson discussed Jack's title win. Nelson then intro'd the post-match interview with new champion Cactus Jack.

VIDEO:

Jack was standing in the locker room still in his tights and with big silver slung over his shoulder as Bischoff interviewed him.

Eric: Back here in the locker room with the new AWA World Champion Cactus Jack.

Cactus, I have to say most fans must view this as a total shocker.

Jack: When I arrived here at the building tonight, little did I know I would be leaving as the World Champion.

It may have been a shock to the fans. But it was an even bigger shock to me.

Eric: How much of a role do you think Tommy Rich and then Col. DeBeers played in your victory tonight?

Jack: Eric Bischoff, why can't you be happy for my success?!

I had nothing to do with Tommy and the Colonel wanting a prime view of the match!

Eric: Prime view? Their interference proved very costly to Sgt. Slaughter. Everyone saw it.

Jack: You know, some people in this promotion call this belt big silver. I'm now the owner of big silver because I pinned Sgt. Slaughter at the St. Paul Civic Center on April 19, 1990.

I'm the World Champion now and that's all there is to it. Fair? Unfair? People can cry about it all they want. They can scream Sarge was robbed of big silver.

But life isn't fair. It's actually quite unfair. This world is built on survival of the fittest. And tonight, I survived because I was the more fit of the two of us. I rose to the top of wrestling's evolutionary heap.

It's all about survival and I survived the match! Case closed! BANG! BANG!

Eric: Cactus Jack is the new AWA World Champion.

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd the post-match interview Bischoff did with former champ Sgt. Slaughter.

VIDEO:

Bischoff was standing near the exit door in the back of the St. Paul Civic Center.

Eric: I am standing here by the door the wrestlers leave through because I could not get into the dressing room to talk with former AWA World Champion Sgt. Slaughter.

We'll wait for him... Here he comes.

Sarge. A word with you?

Sarge was in his street clothes and carrying his travel bag and seemed in no mood to talk.

Sarge walked past Eric and went to open the door.

Eric: Sarge.

Sarge: You want a word? I'll give you several words!

Everyone saw it! I had Cactus Jack dead to rights tonight! He was finished when I Cannoned him!

But, Col. DeBeers... DeBeers! I'm not concerned with the World Title right now! I know I'll fight for that again another day!

But, I am sick and tired of all the problems Col. DeBeers has caused since he's been here in the AWA!

This was the last straw! I'm tired of him and now this is very personal!

You know what I want, Bischoff?!

Eric: No.

Sarge: I want Col. DeBeers in a match! And it's not just any match! Oh no! This promotion is not big enough for the both of us! DeBeers!
I want you in a loser leaves the AWA match!

The loser is gone! He's kaput!

You've done enough damage since you've been here, DeBeers! It's time for your reign of destruction and terror to end!

And I want to be the man that ends it!

Sarge turned and stormed out of the building as Bischoff looked on in stunned fashion.

END VIDEO

Pic aired of the tag team title belts with the caption: NEXT... TITLES ON THE LINE!!!

Commercials

Guns (Ricky Rice and Derrick Dukes) made their way down the face aisle to a good crowd response to the song Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins.

The pair slapped hands on the way to the ring and once in the ring played to the crowd.

Destruction Crew came to the ring down the heel aisle to mainly boos but also had some fans. They came to the ring to the construction song Steel Monkey by Jethro Tull.

Larry Nelson did the introductions and the champs handed the belts off to the ref and the ref held them up for all to see before handing them off to Nelson.

After the ref laid down the ground rules and did the pat down of the men involved... it was on!

Ref called for the bell.

Match started out with a slow-burn with both teams feeling each other out.

Announcers pointed out that Dallas Page, Badd Company's manager, still had not returned the $50 grand he stole from Ricky Rice and Page was racking up the $500 per day fines until he returned the money to Rice.

Match pace picked up and the Guns took control and dominated for much of the match. Guns had some near falls but the champs barely escaped defeat each time.

3:00 commercial break.

Back from commercials: Guns were still largely in control of the match. Crew got offense in. But, there times with the advantage were short.

Announcers said they'd never seen the champs pushed to the brink like this in their time as the champs.

Destruction Crew got the advantage and finally gained a serious upper hand during the match but could not take the challengers down. Crowd into the match and strongly pulling for the Guns.

Guns came battling back and the match turned into a see-saw affair.

End of the match saw Dukes and Enos the legal men in the ring. The pair were battling it out. Enos  gained the upper hand and briefly worked over Dukes, whipped Dukes into the ropes and looked to catch Dukes coming off with a clothesline but the pair clotheslined each other. Both men crashed to the mat. Both men down. Ref started the 10-count. Both men stirred as the count grew. Both men up and Enos tagged in Bloom and Dukes tagged in Rice at the same time. Crowd erupted. The two men tore into each other with punches and Rice gained the upper hand and whipped Bloom into the ropes and caught Bloom coming off with a dropkick. Bloom crashed to the mat. Bloom up and Rice with a second dropkick with Bloom going down. Bloom up and Rice charged over and caught Bloom with a flying bodypress. Bloom stumbled back and crashed to the mat with Rice on top of him for the pin. 1...2... Enos hit the ring and stomped Rice in the back of the head to break up the pin try. Dukes climbed in the ring to go after Enos but the ref intercepted him and got Dukes back to his corner. Both men recovering in the ring. Both men up and Bloom swung wildly at Rice and missed and Rice caught Bloom with a belly-to-back suplex. Both men up and Rice nailed Bloom with an enzuigiri. Bloom crashed back to the mat. Enos again hit the ring and clubbed Rice in the back. Dukes hit the ring and started fighting with Enos and the fighting spilled to the floor. Ref distracted by the two men on the floor trying to get them back into the ring. Just then, DDP charged down the heel aisle with the briefcase in hand.

Marshall: Is that the briefcase containing Rice's money?!

Enos reached up from the floor and grabbed the ref's belt and the ref could not get free. DDP climbed into the ring with the case and raised it over his head. Rice up and turned.

WHAM!

DDP clubbed Rice over the head with the briefcase. Rice crumpled to the mat. DDP dropped to the floor and left the case on the apron and fled the scene. Dukes pulled Enos back down to the floor and the fighting continued. Ref turned back to the match. Bloom snapped up Rice, whipped Rice into the ropes and caught Rice coming off with a powerslam. Bloom for the pin. 1...2... Enos kept Dukes from climbing back into the ring. ...3! Ref called for the bell as the crowd booed loudly. Ref went over and took the tag titles from Larry Nelson. Enos climbed back in the ring. Ref raised Bloom's hand in victory and handed the champs their belts.

Nelson: In a time of 12 minutes, 11 seconds, your winners... and STILL AWA World Tag Team Champions... the Destruction Crew!
More boos from the crowd as the champs dropped to the floor and held their belts aloft before heading back up the heel aisle the victors.

In the ring, Rice recovered and he and Dukes looked over and noticed the briefcase sitting on the apron. Rice went over and picked up the case. And envelope was attached to the front of it  Nelson climbed into the ring. Rice opened the envelope and pulled out the letter in it and briefly read it. Rice furious.

Nelson: Can I ask what the note said?

Rice (angry): It says: Here's your $50,000 dollars.

Rice sat the briefcase on the top turnbuckle and opened it. The money was in there.

Nelson: At least you got the money back.

Rice: I got my money back. But, we didn't win the titles. We had the champs on the ropes and Dallas Page stole the opportunity from us! You never know when these chances are gonna come along! And to lose this way is total b.s.!

Rice grabbed the case and the pair left the ring and headed back up the face aisle as the fans looked on with very little response.

WINNER: Destruction Crew - Pinfall - 12:11 (9:00 aired on TV.)

Pic aired of the WrestleRock logo with the caption: NEXT... WRESTLEROCK UPDATE!

Commercials/AWA Tour Update

VIDEO:

WRESTLEROCK UPDATE!

Eric Bischoff was seated at the update desk with the WrestleRock logo behind him.

Eric: Hi, everybody.

This is Eric Bischoff coming to you from the WrestleRock update center.

We've got some really big news this week.

WrestleRock will take place on Sunday, May 20th in Sioux Falls, South Dakota at the Sioux Fall Civic Center with a bell time of 1:00pm Central time.

Tickets for the event are on sale now and you can get yours by contacting TicketMaster or call the Sioux Falls Arena box office by calling (605) 555-8287 or visiting the Sioux Falls Arena box office.

We've already announced for the event a 10-man tag that promises to be a wild one as The Trooper, Ken Patera and Brad Rheingans and the Top Guns battle Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion Greg Valentine, Badd Company and the World Tag Team Champions the Destruction Crew.

Plus! AWA President Stanley Blackburn is retiring and the new preisdent of the AWA will be introduced on WrestleRock!

Now, two big matches have been added to WrestleRock.

First, in an open challenge match, Kokina Maximus will battle Don Muraco.

Let's take a look at footage from last week as to how this match came about.

VIDEO:

# After the Zenk-Kokina match.

After the match, Kaissey jumped up on the ring apron and yelled out instructions to Kokina. Kokina dragged the defeated Zenk to the corner, mounted the middle buckle and came off with his Bonzai Drop (ass drop to the chest) finisher. Crowd popped as Don Muraco charged down the face aisle with a chair (Showboat chairs were unfolding high-back chairs with a cushioned seat and back with a gold frame.) As Kokina climbed off of Zenk, Muraco came up behind Kokina and slammed Kokina across the back with the back of the chair. Crowd exploded. Kokina staggered. Muraco struck Kokina a second time. Kokina on stagger street. Kaissey hit the ring and Muraco speared Kaissey in the gut with the top of the chair. Kaissey bent over and Muraco slammed the chair across Kaissey's back. Crowd going nuts. Kaissey crashed to the mat and rolled out of the ring onto the apron. Kokina turned and Muraco hit Kokina over the head with chair. Kokina seeing funny lights and symbols like in a cartoon. Several wrestlers and officials poured out of the back and quickly hit the ring to keep the two apart. Kokina in the corner, still on his feet, shaking out the effects of the assault as the fans were still eating it up.

Larry Nelson climbed up on the ring apron with mic in hand at the behest of Muraco.

Muraco: Kokina Maximus! I'm your next open challenge match opponent! You son of a (bleep)!

Crowd roared.

END VIDEO

Eric: It promises to be a hot one as Kokina Maximus battles Don Muraco at WrestleRock.

Will Muraco be the first man to finally take down the monster from Samoa?

Also, just signed...

It will be a powerbomb vs. powerbomb match as AWA Women's World Champion Magnificent Mimi battles Wendi Richter. The first wrestler to powerbomb their opponent wins the match.

And I'll tell you all about the stipulation that has been added to this exciting bout after we watch this footage from last week of the end of the Women's Championship match as Mimi defends against Richter.

VIDEO:

# Mimi went to hoist Richter up for the powerbomb but Richter twice blocked the move and backdropped Miimi to the mat.  Richter backed up as Mimi made it to her feet. Mimi up and Richter charged in and nailed MImi with a flying forearm shiver to the side of the head. Mimi crashed down by the ropes as the crowd popped.  Mimi up with her head and arms now hanging out over the middle rope. Richter went to go after Mimi but the ref intercepted her and ordered her back, Ref started the 10-count. Only a couple of seconds in, Richter went to go after Mimi again. Ref intercepted the challenger and ordered her to stand back. While Richter and the ref were distracted with each other and having words. Val reached into her fancy jacket pocket and appeared to pull something out and hand it to Mimi.

Marshall: Not certain, but I think Valerie just slipped something to Mimi.

Valerie now back in the ring on her knees and balled up. Richter blew past the ref and grabbed Mimi by the hair and started pulling her up when... WHAM!... Mimi caught Richter flush in the jaw with a right hand. Richter crashed down to the mat. Mimi covered Richter and hid her right hand next to her thigh. 1...2...3! Loud howls of protest from the crowd with several pointing an accusatory finger at Valerie. Valerie quickly climbed into the ring as the ref went over and talked to Larry Nelson. Val and Mimi appeared to shake hands (or did Mimi slip something to her?). Ref took the belt from Nelson and Nelson announced Mimi as the winner and raised her hand in victory and handed her the belt. Richter now sitting up in the ring. Mimi briefly paraded the belt to boos before she and Valerie left the ring for the floor.

Richter up holding her jaw. Larry Nelson stepped into the ring with mic in hand.

Richter: That's it! I've had enough!

Richter grabbed her jaw briefly.

Mimi and Val standing on the floor looking on.

Richter: I'm winning this match and all of a sudden... BOOM!.. I'm knocked senseless by one punch! Mimi, you punch hard but not that hard! Either you now have the power of Superman or you hit me with a weapon!

Val and Mimi vehemently denying it on the floor with head shakes and saying 'No!'.

Richter: Valerie! I'd be the women's world champion if not for you interfering on behalf of Mimi! You cost me the title when I lost it to Mimi! And tonight, you made sure I didn't regain the belt!

Well, I want the new AWA bosses to listen to me!

Mimi! I want a powerbomb vs. powerbomb match with you! The first one to powerbomb the other wins the match!

And, just to make sure the match is fair, I want to AWA officials to make sure Valerie can't interfere during the match!

Crowd popped. Val and Mimi not happy campers at ringside.

END VIDEO

Eric: Well, the AWA has heard Wendi's protest about Valerie interfering in Mimi's matches to make sure Mimi hangs on to the title.

To make sure Valerie has no impact on the match, she will be locked in a cage at ringside!

You heard that right, fans!

Valerie will be locked in a cage to make sure she cannot interfere!

It promises to be a good one as the champion Magnificent Mimi and Wendi Richter do battle in a powerbomb vs. powerbomb match without Valerie playing a role in the outcome!

Also...

A new wrestler is set to join the AWA! And he will be revealed at WrestleRock!

Fans! Things are heating up here in the AWA and WrestleRock promises to be one hot show!

Can't make it to Sioux Falls for WrestleRock? We've got you covered! WrestleRock will be airing LIVE on ESPN starting at 1pm Central time.

That's it for this week! Next week promises more big news about WrestleRock!

END VIDEO

Split-screen pic aired of Wahoo McDaniel and Tommy Rich with the caption: NEXT... WHO'S #1???!!!

Commercials

#1 CONTENDER MATCH (Winner gets a World Title shot at WrestleRock) : Wahoo McDaniel vs. Tommy Rich

Rich came down the heel aisle to strong boos from the crowd.

No Easy Way Out by Robert Tepper played and Wahoo came down the face aisle to the ring to a rousing crowd ovation.

Announcers pointed out that if Rich won the match, he'd face his tag partner Cactus Jack for the World Title at WrestleRock.

As Wahoo took off his headdress and turned to hand it off to an attendant, Rich charged over and jumped Wahoo from behind.

Ref called for the bell

Rich continued hammering away on Wahoo and then bodyslammed the stunned Chief. Rich ran and hit the ropes and came off with a running elbow smash but Wahoo rolled out of the way and Rich slammed to the mat. Both men up and Wahoo blasted Rich with a series of stinging knife-edge chops to the chest. Wahoo then grabbed Rich in a wristlock and Wahoo then did the wrist burn and Rich flipped and crashed to the mat. Wahoo switched to an arm bar on Rich.  Rich to a knee locked in the hold. Rich made it to his feet locked in the hold. Rich struggling to try and escape the hold. Rich started inching towards the ropes and went to grab the top rope but just as he got his fingers on it, Wahoo yanked Rich away from the ropes still locked in the hold. Rich back down to a knee. Rich slowly up still locked in the hold. Rich was able to maneuver around and poke Wahoo in the eye to free himself from the hold. Ref reprimanded Rich. Rich grabbed Wahoo and slammed Wahoo's head into the top buckle. Wahoo spun around in the corner and Rich popped Wahoo with a couple of deliberate chest chops and then Wahoo caught fire, spun Rich into the corner and peppered Rich with a series of open hand chest chops. Wahoo then whipped Rich into the opposite buckles and charged in on Rich but Rich moved and Wahoo slammed front-first into the buckles. Rich rolled Wahoo up from behind for the pin. 1... Rich grabbed a handful of tights. ...2...thr... Wahoo kicked Rich off and Rich slammed into the corner and stumbled out and Wahoo caught Rich with another chest chop and rolled Rich up in a small package for the pin. 1...2... Rich kicked out. Crowd groaned. Announcers wondered what had to be going through champion Cactus Jack's mind watching this. Both men up and Rich stunned Wahoo with a kick to the gut and nailed Wahoo with a suplex. Rich ran and hit the ropes and came off with a running elbow smash that connected. Rich for the cover. 1...2... Wahoo kicked out. Rich up and caught Wahoo with a stomp to the head. Rich snapped Wahoo up and went to hoist Wahoo up for a piledriver but Wahoo twice blocked the move and backdropped Rich to the mat. Crowd cheered. Rich to his feet and walked into a series of knife edge chops from Wahoo and then Wahoo grabbed Rich by the hair, did his war dance and nailed Rich with a tomahawk chop to the top of the head. Rich crashed to the mat. Wahoo dropped a quick elbow on Rich and went for the cover. 1...2... Rich kicked out. Wahoo snapped Rich u[p and slammed Rich's head into the top buckle. Rich spun around in the corner. Wahoo snap mared Rich out of the corner and locked Rich in a rear chinlock. Wahoo had the hold firmly locked in but Rich would not give up. Wahoo realeased the hold and dropped an elbow on Rich's head. Wahoo snapped Rich up and went to whip Rich into the ropes but Rich reversed and caught Wahoo coming off with a back elbow to the chest. Wahoo stumbled back. Rich moved in with punches on Wahoo and whipped Wahoo into the ropes and looked to catch Wahoo coming off with a backdrop but Wahoo dropped down and clubbed Rich in the back. Rich shot up and turned away from Wahoo and Wahoo moved in and caught Rich with the sleeper. Crowd popped. Rich desperately trying to escape. Rich started to fade. Rich caught Wahoo in a belly-to-back suplex to free himself from the hold. Both men up and Rich picked up Wahoo and bodyslammed him. Quick stomp by Rich. Rich mounted the middle rope in the corner and came off with a fist drop to the head that connected. Rich for the cover. 1...2... Wahoo kicked out. Crowd cheered. Both men up and Rich nailed Wahoo with punches and choked Wahoo out on the top rope. Rich broke the illegal move at the ref's count of 4. Wahoo hanging over the top rope. Rich yanked the top rope and Wahoo snapped back and crashed to the mat. Rich put the boots to Wahoo and snapped Wahoo up and went for a backslide for the win but Wahoo blocked the move and caught Rich with a backslide of his own for the pin try. 1....2...thr... Rich kicked out. Crowd groaned.

Wahoo up and reached down to pull Rich up and reached grabbed Wahoo's legs and pulled them out from under him and Wahoo crashed to the mat and rolled over on his side by the ropes. Rich grabbed the top rope and drove a series of rapid-fire knees into Wahoo's back. Rich broke the illegal move at the ref's count of 4. Rich stomped Wahoo and then moved back as Wahoo made it to his feet. Wahoo up and Rich charged at Wahoo and went to hit Wahoo with the Thesz Press finisher but Wahoo caught Rich, dropped down and hot-shotted Rich across the top rope. Rich snapped back and crashed to the mat as the fans cheered. Both men up and Rich went to punch Wahoo but Wahoo blocked the punch try and fired away on Rich with open hand chest chops to the chest. Rich stunned. Wahoo whipped Rich into the ropes and caught Rich coming off with his big chop finisher and Rich crashed to the mat. Wahoo for the cover and hooked the leg. 1...2...3! Crowd roared as the ref called for the bell. Wahoo up and the ref raised his hand in victory.

Marshall: It's gonna be Cactus Jack vs. Wahoo at WrestleRock for the AWA World Championship!

WINNER: Wahoo - Pinfall - 8:20

END PROGRAM

Destruction Crew's entrance music in this diary:

Edited by piperrulz

On 11/2/2023 at 3:25 PM, piperrulz said:

PREDICTION RESULTS!!!

Winning picks listed in brackets.

Theheel - 1/4 (Badd Co.)

Old School Fan - 2/4 (Richter/Mimi match at WR/Wahoo)

Congrats Old School Fan! SPEECH! SPEECH! 😁

Here is your video reward! (You have also won a psychic trip to ALL the Tim Horton's in Canada! 🙃)

Classic angle.  Oh boy in that clip you have something else very unique.  David Crockett was maybe at best a 20 (TEW terms) as a color commentator, but he has met his match in Johnny Weaver.  Weaver is classic!  One of the few < 10 color guys ever.  I had forgotten how bad he truly was

On 11/2/2023 at 3:25 PM, piperrulz said:

PREDICTION RESULTS!!!

Winning picks listed in brackets.

Theheel - 1/4 (Badd Co.)

Old School Fan - 2/4 (Richter/Mimi match at WR/Wahoo)

Congrats Old School Fan! SPEECH! SPEECH! 😁

Here is your video reward! (You have also won a psychic trip to ALL the Tim Horton's in Canada! 🙃)

Not something that would've been seen on Vince's shows back in the day.  On the Crockett TV shows, the excitement was genuine and the action and storylines were convincing (including the Cornette fire-throwing angle that led to Jim Garvin's face turn).

17 minutes ago, Old School Fan said:

Not something that would've been seen on Vince's shows back in the day.  On the Crockett TV shows, the excitement was genuine and the action and storylines were convincing (including the Cornette fire-throwing angle that led to Jim Garvin's face turn).

Something that is sadly missing today.  Too much scripted dialogue written by Hollywood type writers and not enough real story that creates excitement.  There are very few believable characters anymore, and for the most part the matches are as they would say are the drizzling @#&!$

• Like 1