AWA 1989: A Financial Savior Is (Badly) Needed

Might have posted these once before...

As you watch these WWWF house show promos from 1981 you'll notice something.

The promos are very raw. They're rough around the edges. Guys occasionally mangle a word.

In other words, these promos come across as  very real. The words were the wrestlers.

I don't believe today's totally scrip[ted promos can compare to the promos of the past.

It's hard for something to feel natural when you're always trying to remember your lines and everything comes across as slickly produced.

Enjoy the next few minutes...

2 hours ago, piperrulz said:

Might have posted these once before...

As you watch these WWWF house show promos from 1981 you'll notice something.

The promos are very raw. They're rough around the edges. Guys occasionally mangle a word.

In other words, these promos come across as  very real. The words were the wrestlers.

I don't believe today's totally scrip[ted promos can compare to the promos of the past.

It's hard for something to feel natural when you're always trying to remember your lines and everything comes across as slickly produced.

Enjoy the next few minutes...

Spot on with the promos or whatever they are called today.  Most suck.  Poorly written, poorly executed because if these guys (and gals) were actors they would be wrestling.  Yes a few make the transition but most don’t and never will.  It truly what is missing today.

As far as Charlotte goes, well she’s a hell of an athlete, and well she’s a pretty good total package.  But then I’m a mark for blondes

21 hours ago, Theheel said:

Spot on with the promos or whatever they are called today.  Most suck.  Poorly written, poorly executed because if these guys (and gals) were actors they would be wrestling.  Yes a few make the transition but most don’t and never will.  It truly what is missing today.

As far as Charlotte goes, well she’s a hell of an athlete, and well she’s a pretty good total package.  But then I’m a mark for blondes

She had a natural beauty. Sometimes, these women go under the knife and co-me out less attractive.

See her pics in the ESPN Body issue a few years ago?

• Like 2

image.png.ed794176ef4c74bef60a1fe86f4c30b7.png.5b8f66067d11dc12a3757097ecafe150.png.fe43124957fd45b36724d18a9a6b6cfc.png.33733df2491239c8e898914b102c1b9a.png

AWA WRESTLING ON ESPN - SHOWBOAT SPORTS PAVILION - LAS VEGAS, NV - JUNE 1990

Announcers: Joe Pedicino & Bill Dundee

Ring Announcer/Interviewer: Larry Nelson

(# Aired on a previous AWA program.)

(1st Taping)

Show Intro

Larry Nelson welcomed viewers and ran down the program:

Nelson said we had a new World Champion! Wahoo defeated Cactus to win the belt at WrestleRock!
Said that Sgt. Slaughter is gone from the AWA as he was defeated by Col. DeBeers in the loser leaves the AWA match at WrestleRock

Said the new era AWA takes another step with new announcers for AWA on ESPN!

Highlights and interviews from WrestleRock

TV MAIN EVENT: Cactus Jack vs. Ricky Rice of the Top Guns

Scott Norton & Billy Jack Haynes make their official AWA debut

Tina Moretti makes her AWA on ESPN debut

Plus! Reveals of the new AWA Prez and newest AWA wrestler
Nelson sent it to the ring in Las Vegas.

New announcers Joe Pedicino and Bill Dundee introduced themselves as the new announcers for AWA on ESPN.

Pedicino worked as the face straight man to Dundee's heel routine.

Jonnie Stewart won a squash match over Jerry Allen via pinfall with his flying elbow smash from the top rope

Stewart came to the ring down the heel aisle to pretty strong boos.

Dundee: I really like this Stewart fellow, mate! He seems like he's gonna be a true superstar in this sport! And he doesn't care what the fans think of him! That makes him A-OK in my book! Every time he steps in the ring he gives the fans the proverbial bird! Gotta love it!

In-Studio: Nelson said Pedicino and Dundee seem like they're gonna make an interesting pair in the broadcast booth.

Video aired of footage from WrestleRock with the caption: NEXT... HIGHLIGHTS!!!

Commercials

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd highlights from WrestleRock.

3-minute video aired of all the matches to the song The Fight by Giorgio Morder.

In-Studio: Nelson said it was a great day at WrestleRock.

Nelson then  intro'd the video of the reveal of the new President of the promotion.

VIDEO:

# Nelson: With me right now is AWA President Stanley Blackburn.

Stanley, we hear you have some news for us.

Blackburn: Thank you, Larry. It's great to be here in the great state of South Dakota.

More cheers.

Blackburn: This is my last official day as President of the American Wrestling Association.

But, I want the fans to know that we have a new President coming in who will assume his role tomorrow.

He is an AWA legend. Would you please welcome the 4-time AWA World Champion and new AWA President... Nick Bockwinkel.

Crowd pooped as Bockwinkel made his way down the face aisle to the ring. He was in a suit and tie.

Nick stepped in the ring and waved to the crowd and then shook hands with outgoing President Blackburn.

Nelson: Welcome, President Bockwinkel!

Nick: Thank you.

First, President Blackburn, you and I have had, to put it mildly, an interesting relationship with each other over the years.

Blackburn (laughed): That's true.

Nick: But, we earned each other's respect over time. You have been a fine president, sir. And I want to thank you for your service to the AWA.

Polite applause.

Nick: I just want to let the people know that I'm excited about the opportunity to be the president of the wrestling promotion that I've always called home. It's an honor to serve in this capacity.

I had a wonderful career here. And, while you fans didn't always like me very much, when you embraced me, you did so with open arms. We earned each other's respect.

Polite cheering.

END VIDEO

Pic aired of Scott Norton & Billy Jack Haynes with the caption: NEXT... TAG TEAM THREAT???!!!

Commercials/AWA Tour Update

Billy Jack Haynes & Scott Norton won a squash match over Gary Young & Sweet Daddy Falcone when Norton pinned Young with a lariat

Haynes and Norton got a decent crowd response coming down the face aisle.

Announcers said the part was now in the AWA full-time from the Pacific Northwest.

In-Studio: Nelson said that Haynes and Norton were now regulars in the AWA.

Nelson then intro'd video from WrestleRock of the newest arrival in AWA.

# Nelson: As you know, it's a new era here in the AWA! Things are indeed changing here! And they're gonna change even more with my next guest!

Would you please welcome the newest addition to the AWA... the 'Russian Nightmare' Nikita Koloff!

Crowd popped and the roar got louder as Koloff made his way down the face aisle to the ring. He was dressed in a suit and tie.

Koloff climbed in the ring and acknowledged the fans. His head was shaven once again.

Nelson: Nikita, listen to this fantastic crowd response for you!

More cheers.

Koloff: It is great to be here in the American Wrestling Association, Larry Nelson.

You have new blood running the promotion. And the AWA promises to be more exciting moving forward.

Nelson: A lot of fans remember you as a Communist and America hater, for lack of a better term. And then a few years ago, you changed.

Koloff: I did change. It wasn't overnight. I had grown up, how you say, deluged, with anti-Americanism in Mother Russia.
Over time, living here a few years, I came to appreciate America. It is the greatest country on earth.

Loud cheer from the fans.

Koloff: I am proud to now call my home the United States. The people have been very, very good to me here. Even in the days when I was an America hater and Russian, how you say, supremacist.

America is light. Soviet Communism is darkness. God bless America.

More cheers and chants of USA! USA!

Koloff: And I want to say something about somebody here in AWA.

Nelson: Go ahead.

Koloff: The great thing about America is you have, how you say, the freedom of the speech.

Nelson: Our most important freedom.

Fans cheered.

Koloff: Col. DeBeers just beat Sgt. Salughter in a loser leaves town match. Col. DeBeers, I have somethingn to say to you. You hate this country like I did. You, how you say, despise the good American people and how they live. You praise South Africa. I hope that you will one day see the light, Colonel, and embrace a country that has been good to you even though you have not been good to it.

Fans cheered.

Koloff: But, if you don't want to change and, how you say, embrace American freedom and America, you should pack up and go home.

Loud pop from the crowd.

Nelson: Definitely words that Col. Debeers needs to hear.

Nikita Koloff, everybody! He's here and the new era of the AWA rolls on!

Video aired of the Sarge-DeBeers WrestleRock match with the caption: NEXT... SARGE IS GONE!!!

Commercials

Commercial aired for the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament video tape. Tape was advertised as two hours of highlights, complete matches and some interviews from the historic event. An 800 number and a mailing address were listed on the screen. Cost of the video: $39.95 + S/H

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd footage from the brutal, violent brawl between Sgt. Slaughter and Col. DeBeers from WrestleRock where the loser had to leave the AWA. PLUS! Post-match comments from DeBeers follow.

VIDEO:

DeBeers climbed out on the apron and mounted the top rope. Sarge to his feet and DeBeers came off in an attempt to hit Sarge with helmeted headbutt from the top rope but Sarge caught DeBeers with a kick to the gut. DeBeers grabbed his gut and staggered around and walked right into a series of punches from Sarge followed by a gut drop across the knee. DeBeers lost the helmet. Sarge stomped DeBerers in the head, went over and picked up the Army helmet and put it on. Crowd buzzing. Sarge assumed the 3-point stance. DeBeers up and Sarge charged in and blasted DeBeers in the chest with the top of his helmet-laden head. Crowd exploded. DeBeers crashed back to the mat. Sarge tossed the helmet and backed up as the crowd rose to its feet. DeBeers slowly up and Sarge charged in a popped DeBeers with his...

Crockett: CANNON! CANNON! CANNON!

DeBeers down. Sarge covered DeBeers and hooked the leg. Crowd counted along. 1...2...3... NO! DeBeers got a shoulder up. Loud crowd groan. Sarge reached down to snap up DeBeers and DeBeers nailed Sarge with a low-blow. Sarge crashed to the mat holding his goods. Crowd heat intense. Both men down. Ref checked on both men but could do no more. Both men slowly to their feet and DeBeers nailed Sarge with an open-hand throat-thrust that stunned Sarge. Sarge fell against the ropes holding his throat. DeBeers moved to the corner and untied the top turnbuckle exposing the steel underneath. DeBeers punched Sarge and went to whip Sarge into the exposed turnbuckle steel but Sarge reversed and sent DeBeers crashing back-first into it. Crowd popped. Sarge quickly regained his bearings and charged in on DeBeers but DeBeers moved and Sarge slammed chest-first into the exposed steel. Sarge slowly turned and was grabbing his chest and DeBeers caught Sarge with a kick to the chest. DeBeers then hoisted Sarge up and blasted Sarge with a face-first piledriver. DeBeers turned Sarge over for the pin. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as most of the crowd booed loudly but DeBeers also had his core of fans.

DeBeers to his feet and the ref ref raised his hand in victory as some trash pelted the ring. DeBeers looked out at the crowd which only made them madder. DeBeers left the ring and threw his fists defiantly in the air to more garbage as he headed back up the heel aisle.

Nelson: Col. DeBeers is your winner! Sgt. Slaughter must leave the AWA!

END VIDEO

Pic flipped and DeBeers was standing in his locker room with mic in hand, still fresh from the violent affair.

DeBeers had a white towel draped around his neck.

DeBeers: Sgt. Slaughter...

DeBeers used the towel to dab off some some of the blood-encrusted sweat from his face.

DeBeers: Sgt. Slaughter. Your time in the AWA is finished. Your run here as the big star of the promotion is over. A two-time AWA World Champion. And now it's all crumbled to dust. You're now nothing but a memory in the AWA.

The match was violent. The match was bloody. The match was one of no mercy because there was no mercy was to be had in the first place.

One of us was leaving the AWA today. And in the end, I was the winner.

I will go down in the record books as the man who vanquished, you idiotic, decadent Americans might need to look that word up, Sgt. Slaughter.

I may be the most despised wrestler in the world today because of my brave stance in defense of the great nation of apartheid South Africa. I am a man that speaks the truth on many issues. And that's why you Americans hate me with a violent passion. Americans don't like truth.

And now, Sgt. Slaughter is gone. Kaput. But, you still have me: Col. DeBeers.

Every time you see me, whether in the ring, on TV or just out in public somewhere, you'll always think of me as the man who demolished
America's Hero. I tore the heart out of America, But, let's not kid ourselves; America has no real heart like the white people of South Africa. Heartlessness is an American virtue.

Sgt. Slaughter is gone from the AWA. And I, Col. DeBeers, am the man who is left standing tall.

END VIDEO

Pic aired of Tina Moretti with the caption: NEXT... NEW BLOOD!!!

Commercials

Ad aired for the AWA PPV Super Clash 5 - Sunday - Sept. 16 - Mecca Arena - Milwaukee, WI - Bell time: 8pm E/5pm P. 

Tickets on sale Saturday - June 16 at 10am CST!

Tina Moretti def. Kay Noble via pinfall with her Samoan Piledriver finisher (Is that cultural appropriation?)

Moretti got a nice ovation coming down the face aisle as fans remembered her from her GLOW and POWW days. Moretti slapped hands with fans on the way to the ring.

In-Studio: Nelson said Moretti and 'Big' Reggie Bennett are new additions to the AWA roster and the women's division is getting stronger.

Video aired of Wahoo defeating Cactus to win the World Title with the caption: NEXT... FINALLY!!!

Commercials

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd video from the Jack-Wahoo World Title tilt at WrestleRock.

VIDEO:

# Jack dropped back to the floor, backed up and charged in on Wahoo but Wahoo moved and Jack slammed flush into the post as the fans cheered. Jack turned and walked right into a hip toss on the concrete from Wahoo. Wahoo grabbed Jack and threw him back into the ring. Jack on his knees as Wahoo moved in and Jack headbutted the challenger in the groin. Wahoo staggered back and fell against the ropes.  Jack moved in and caught Wahoo with some punches and pulled Wahoo away from the ropes and bodyslammed the Chief. Jack went for a running elbow smash but Wahoo rolled out of the way and Jack crashed to the mat. Crowd cheered. Jack up facing away from Wahoo and Wahoo rolled Jack up from behind for the pin. 1...2... Jack kicked out. Crowd groaned. Both men up and Jack went to punch Wahoo but Wahoo blocked the punch try and Jack nailed Jack with a punch of his own and then hit Jack with a piledriver. Crowd popped. Wahoo for the cover. 1...2...three... NO! Jack got his foot on the bottom rope. Ref patted Wahoo on the back. Wahoo got up thinking he'd won the belt. Ref had to inform Wahoo he did not. Cactus made it to his feet. Wahoo turned and walked right into a running swinging neckbreaker. Jack's fans cheered. Jack covered Wahoo for the pin. 1...2...three.. NO! Wahoo kicked out. Majority of the crowd cheered. Both men down. Ref started the 10-count. Both men stirred as the count grew. Both men up and Jack caught Wahoo with headbutt that sent Wahoo crashing back to the mat. Jack grabbed Wahoo's legs and flipped over on top of Wahoo for the cover. 1...2...thr... Wahoo bridged up and caught Jack in a backslide for the pinfall. 1...2...3... NO! Jack barely kicked out. Crowd groaned. Both men up and Wahoo swung at Jack and missed and Jack kicked Wahoo in the gut and this time hit Wahoo with his stump-puller piledriver. Jack for the cover. 1...2...3... NO! Wahoo got a shoulder up. Crowd cheered. Jack pulled Wahoo up and went to whip Wahoo into the corner but Wahoo reversed and the force of the whip sent Jack's head crashing into the steel ring bolt that connects the ring post to the turnbuckle. Jack staggered backwards and crashed to his back in the ring. Wahoo quickly shook out the effects of the piledriver and covered Jack and hooked the leg. 1...2...thr... Jack managed to kick out. Crowd groaned. Both men up and Jack punched Wahoo and threw Wahoo front-first into the buckles. Wahoo slammed into them and turned around and walked right into a bodyslam from Jack. Jack mounted the middle buckle and came off with a second rope leg drop but Wahoo rolled out of the way and Jack crashed to the mat as the fans cheered. Jack to his feet and Wahoo to a knee and Jack went to kick Wahoo in the head but Wahoo caught Jack's foot and Jack was caught as Wahoo rose to his feet. Wahoo held the leg and peppered Jack with blistering chest chops, let go of the leg, grabbed Jack by the hair and nailed Jack with a tomahawk chop. Crowd into it. Wahoo  whipped Jack into the ropes and caught Jack coming off witt his big chop finisher. Jack crashed to the mat. Wahoo for the cover and hooked the leg. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the fans erupted.

Wahoo got to his feet and was elated. Ref went over and talked to Larry Nelson and took the belt. Ref handed Wahoo the title and raised Wahoo's hand in victory to more cheers.

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd the post-match interview with Wahoo in the locker room where Wahoo gets an unwelcome surprise guest.

VIDEO:

Video opened with a shot of Wahoo with the belt slung over his shoulder and Bischoff in a suit and tie with mic in hand.

Eric: This is Eric Bischoff at WrestleRock coming to you from the victorious locker room of the NEW AWA World Champion Wahoo McDaniel!

Chief, how are you feeling right now?!

Wahoo: Eric, things are just now really starting to sink in for me! I'm a little bit numb right now! This is unvbelievable! With as long as I've been in this sport, I knew this was realistically my last chance to win the World Championship!

Eric: Does it feel like a dream?

Wahoo: It does. But it's reality. And after tonight, I'll be on the road defending this championship.

Eric: What's your opinion of the wrestler you defeated for the title, Cactus Jack?

Wahoo: People can think what they want. But, Cactus Jack is one tough individual.We may not like each other. But I respect him as a competitor. He's a very different wrestler. He's something the sport has never seen before so he's hard to read in the ring. But, I was able to complete the task and defeat him and become the new World Champion.

Greg Gagne and Ken Patera walked into the picture and sprayed Wahoo with champagne. Both men congratulated Wahoo and hugged him.

Eric: Whoa! Looks like the celebration is really starting to kick in!

Wahoo: I will never forget this day in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, Eric! It's been won...

Jake Milliman walked into the picture.

Eric: What's this?!

Jake poured a bottle of 2% white milk over Wahoo's head.

Jake: The 'Milkman' delivers! Congratulations, Wahoo! Make us proud as World Champion!

Wahoo laughed and hugged Milliman.

Milliman walked out of the picture and the Top Guns and Brad Rheingans came into the frame and congratulated Wahoo. A little more champagne from Rheingans.

Eric: I'm sensing it's gonna be quite a party tonight, Chief?!

Wahoo: It will be, Eric! And you're invited!

Eric: I am there, Chief! Congratulations once again on becoming the new...

The locker room door suddenly slammed open and things suddenly got quiet.

It was Greg Valentine. He had the PWHC belt slung over his shoulder.

Eric: Wait a minute! Greg...

Greg got in Wahoo's face.

Valentine: Congratulations on winning the World Championship, Wahoo!

Now, it's time to start to defending that title!

And this belt, the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship, automatically makes me the number one contender for pro wrestling's biggest prize!

And who did I beat to win this belt in the finals of the tournament?! I beat you, Wahoo! I put you down for the count!

Enjoy tonight, Wahoo! Have fun until it hurts!

Because starting tomorrow, you're gonna have me looking right over your shoulder!

Get ready, Wahoo! I'm coming for that World Title! And I won't rest until I win it!

Valentine stormed out of the face locker room as everyone looked on.

Eric: Chief, anything to say about that?

Wahoo: Since Greg Valentine is the Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion, that does make him an automatic contender for the World Title.
Valentine and me have an interesting history that goes back a few years. And now our paths will cross again.

Greg Valentine. Sign the contract, step into the ring and I'm more than ready and willing to put big silver on the line against you.

Eric: He is the new World Champion Chief Wahoo McDaniel!

END VIDEO

Pic aired of Cactus Jack with the caption: NEXT... PRICKLY CACTUS!!!

Commercials

TV MAIN EVENT: Cactus Jack vs. Ricky Rice

Announcers said word was Jack was still angry about losing the World Title.

Rice came to the ring first down the face aisle to Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins.

Once in the ring, Rice briefly saluted the crowd.

Former World Champion Jack came running down the heel aisle to boos but also a growing chorus of cheers.

Jack hit the ring and attacked Rice and immediately started pounding on him.

Ref called for the bell.

Jack beat up on Rice and eventually drove Rice out of the ring with his running clothesline that sent both men hurtling over the top rope and crashing to the floor. Jack bodyslammed Rice on the floor and climbed up on the apron and came off with his running elbow from the apron to the floor that connected.

Jack dominated the first five minutes of the match.

Dundee: Jack is taking out his anger at losing the World Championship on Ricky Rice and it's justified.

Pedicino: Justified?! Are you kidding me?!

Dundee: He's got to take his anger out on somebody and poor Mr. Rice here was the victim who signed the contract to face him!

Rice fought his way back into the match and almost stunned Jack with a flying crossbody for the pin. Rice was a whirlwind of offense for a bit before he made the mistake of trying to reapy Jack with a running clothesline aginst the ropes but Jack instead dropped down, pulled down the top rope and Rice flew over and crashed to the floor. Jack regained control of the match, worked Rice over and finished Rice off with his double underhook DDT finisher to score the 1...2...3!

Jack up and the ref raised his hand in victory. Jack stomped around the ring to some boos and growing cheers before leaving and heading back up the heel aisle as the program ended.

WINNER; Jack - Pinfall - 7:28

END PROGRAM

Edited by piperrulz
  • Like 2

image.png.e6c54575efca5878596629f14cd00450.png.35fc0e9647641c20a881d87e7d58a706.png.cb8de151b07ebd3db1c85a54345ccddd.png.520590fa89eb7b13db342df9906070d6.png.86998030d7a042f0d03973fc9d139435.png

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING SYNDICATED PROGRAM - ROCKFORD METROCENTRE - ROCKFORD, IL - JUNE 1990

Announcers: Jack Reynolds & David Crockett

Ring Announcer/In-ring Interviewer: Eric Bischoff

(1st Taping)

Show Intro

In-Studio: Larry Nelson welcomed viewers and ran down the program: 

Said All-Star Wrestling has a new announce team in the new era AWA!

We have a new World Champion! Wahoo McDaniel defeated cactus Jack to win the gold at WrestleRock! A look at the historic match PLUS!  a post-match interview with new champ Wahoo

Col. DeBeers def. Sgt. Slaughter in their loser leaves the AWA match at WrestleRock PLUS!  post-match comments from DeBeers

TV MAIN EVENT: Jonnie Stewart vs. Jerry Blackwell

Highlights from WrestleRock plus post-match interviews

A look back at last week's controversial win by Bob Orton over the Trooper on last week's program

Jake Milliman & Greg Gagne vs. Badd Co. (w/ Mgr. DDP)

The ASW debut of 'Big' Reggie Bennett

PWHC Champion Greg Valentine sees action

And more!

Nelson talked about what a great event WrestleRock was and then sent it to the ring in Rockford, IL.

Announcers Jack Reynolds and David Crockett introduced themselves to the viewers and said they were excited to be part of the new era AWA.

Hector Guerrero vs. The Grappler (From Portland Wrestling)

Guerrero came to the ring to mariachi music down the face aisle to a decent ovation from the crowd.

The  Grappler came out to a mild response down the heel aisle.

Grappler took control early but Hector fought back from the beating and gained an advantage. Hector a house of fire. Hector worked Grappler over and bodyslammed Grappler. Hector mounted the top buckle facing the crowd as Grappler got to his feet. Hector came off with a moonsault but Grappler fell out of the way and Hector slammed into the mat and blew apart like a pinata. Just kidding about the pinata part.  As Hector slowly and painfully made it to his feet, Grappler tapped the toe of his right boot into the mat. Hector up and walked right into a kick to the gut from Grappler. Hector crumpled to the mat. Grappler for the cover and hooked the leg. 1...2...3!

Grappler up and the ref raised his hand in victory as some of the crowd booed.

WINNER: Grappler - Pinfall - 4:08

Grappler went over by the ropes and demanded the mic from Bischoff and got it.

Grappler: You people may have noticed the presence of wrestlers from the Pacific Northwest here in the AWA in recent months.

Well, let me tell you something! You're gonna see a lot more of us in the weeks and months to come!

You may not know who the hell we are! But, mark my words, you're gonna know who we are real soon!

And you're gonna respect us, dammit!

And when you're the best, what do they call you?! The Grappler!

Grappler dropped the mic and left the ring to some boos but the crowd seemed more stunned that anything.

Announcers discussed the strong words from Grappler and wondered what the AWA could be in store for in the future.

Video clip aired showing the masked mystery man putting the Trooper out with an ether-soaked rag with the caption: NEXT... UNWANTED NAP!!!

Commercials

Ad aired for the AWA PPV Super Clash 5 - Sunday - Sept. 16 - Mecca Arena - Milwaukee, WI - Bell time: 8pm E/5pm P. 

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd footage from the end of last week's match between Bob Orton and the Trooper on AWA on ESPN.

VIDEO:

# Trooper moved in and hit Orton with shoulder blocks to the gut. Orton then shoved Trooper back and Trooper collided with the ref and both men went down. Orton stomped on Trooper and snapped Trooper up and went to suplex Trooper but Trooper twice blocked the suplex try and, just as the ref got to his feet, Trooper suplexed Orton into the ref and the ref crashed back down to the mat. Crowd buzzing (or just buzzed). Orton snapped up Trooper and whipped Trooper into the ropes and missed Trooper coming off with a clohtesline and Trooper came back and pulverized Orton with his flying shoulder tackle finisher. Crowd popped. Ref still down. Trooper backed up as Orton got to his feet. Trooper charged in and popped Orton with another flying shoulder tackle. Orton crashed back down to the mat. Trooper went over and checked on the ref. Masked mystery man came through the crowd and hopped the chain barricade and climbed in the ring. He had a cloth and spray can with him. Mystery man held the cloth up and sprayed it.

Marshall: What is that smell, Lord James?!

Blears: Smells like ether, Lee.

Mystery man snuck up behind Trooper and placed the rag over his mouth. Trooper struggling trying to escape the gas. Trooper weakened fairly quickly and passed out on the mat. Orton had recovered enough and crawled over and covered Trooper and the masked mystery man dragged the ref over to count. Mystery man escaped through the crowd. Ref counted. 1.....2.....3! Ref called for the bell as the crowd booed. A dazed and confused Trooper barely moving. Orton and the ref to their feet and Orton had his hand raised in victory.

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd comments from the Trooper.

VIDEO:

Video opened with a shot of Trooper in his police gear, sunglasses trooper hat and mic in hand.

Trooper: Masked man! It's time for you to man up and show yourself for who you really are! Take off the mask and let us see your real identity!

I don't know what your problem is with me! But you need to face me eye-to-eye!

I'm gonna lay down the law with ya right now, masked man! I want a match with you! I want to be able to fight you without the element of surprise! I'm sick of you Pearl Harboring me!

I had Bob Orton beat and then suddenly... I have this wet cloth over my mouth and nose and out go the lights!

There will be a day of reckoning between us, masked man! I promise you that!

I don't know who you're working for! Is it Valerie?! Is it someone else! OIr, do we know each other and you're targeting me for something in our past!

Whatever the reason, masked man, man up! Sign the contract! And let's rumble! I'm gonna unmask you if it's the last thing I ever do!

END VIDEO

Pic aired of the WrestleRock logo with the caption: NEXT... WRESTLEROCK HIGHLIGHTS!!!

Commercials/Market-specific promos for house show cities/Generic promos for non-house show cities

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd the WrestleRock highlights package.

Video package was 3-minutes long as the musical score The Fight by Giorgio Moreder played.

THE FIGHT:

In-Studio: Nelson talked about what a great event WrestleRock was.

Nelson then sent it back to the ring in Rockford.

'Big' Reggie Bennett won a squash match over Marceline Jones via submission with her split-leg rear chinlock.

Reggie released the hold and the ref raised her hand in victory.

Bennett got a fair response coming down the face aisle.

Announcers put Bennett over strong as a potential serious threat to Mimi's title reign.

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... TAG TEAM ACTION!!!

Commercials

Badd Co. (w/ Mgr. DDP) vs. Jake Milliman & Greg Gagne

Badd Co. and DDP made their way down the heel aisle to strong boos.

Once in the ring, the trio briefly played to the crowd to more boos.

Greg Gagne and Jake Milliman made their way down the face aisle to cheers.

Once in the ring, Milliman tore off his '2% Forever' t-shirt and threw it into the crowd.

Short match was a wild affair with both sides tearing into each other.

End of the match saw Milliman and Pat Tanaka the legal men in the ring. Tanaka was on the offensive. After dropping Milliman with a roundhouse kick to the side of the head, Tanaka backed up. Milliman up and turned and Tanaka went for a superkick but Milliman grabbed Tanaka's leg. Tanaka begged off but Milliman spun Tanaka around facing away from him and nailed Tanaka with an atomic drop. Tanaka staggered holding his privates. Crowd popped. Jake hit Tanaka with a couple of punches, whipped Tanaka into the ropes and caught Tanaka coming off with a powerslam. Crowd popped as Jake popped up and cupped his hand to his ear to hear the roar of the crowd. Jake ran and hit the ropes and came off and nailed Tanaka with his Pasteurizer finisher. Jake for the cover. 1...2... Paul Diamond hit the ring and stomped Jake in the back to break up the pin try. Diamond grabbed Jake and threw Jake over the top rope and down to the floor. Ref called for the bell. Gagne hit the ring and nailed Diamond with a dropkick that sent Diamond crashing into the buckles. Gagne moved in and fired away on Diamond with punches and Tanaka recovered and jumped Gagne from behind. Ref again called for the bell to no avail. Diamond and Tanaka started working Greg over in the ring. Jake recovered on the floor and climbed into the ring just as DDP tossed his cane to Diamond but Jake intercepted it. Crowd roared as Jake blasted Tanaka with the cane across the chest. Tanaka crashed to the mat and rolled out of the ring. Jake then turned and rammed the head of the cane into Diamond's gut and doubled over Diamond and then Jake sent the cane crashing down across Diamond's back. Diamond went down. Diamond up and Gagne popped Diamond with a dropkick that sent Diamond falling through the top and middle rope down to the floor to more cheering.

DDP seemed more concerned with getting his cane back than the health of his men. Jake walked around using the cane as a walking aid to the delight of the crowd. Jake then teased breaking the cane across his knee. DDP apoplectic at ringside. Diamond recovered, snuck up behind Jake and snatched the cane out of Jake's hands and bolted the ring. The dastardly trio was now out on the floor as Diamond handed DDP his cane as Gagne and Jake looked on from the ring.

WINNER: Jake & Gagne - DQ - 3:37

Video footage aired from the DeBeers-Sarge match at WrestleRock with the caption: NEXT... THE END OF AN ERA!!!

Commercials/Market-specific promos for house show cities/Generic promos for non-house show cities

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd video from the end of the Sarge-DeBeers loser leaves the AWA match from WrestleRock PLUS! post-match comments from DeBeers.

VIDEO:

# DeBeers climbed out on the apron and mounted the top rope. Sarge to his feet and DeBeers came off in an attempt to hit Sarge with a helmeted headbutt from the top rope but Sarte caught DeBeers with a kick to the gut. DeBeers grabbed his gut and staggered around and walked right into a series of punches from Sarge followed by a gut drop across the knee. DeBeers lost the helmet. Sarge stomped DeBeers in the head, went over and picked up the Army helmet and put it on. Crowd buzzing. Sarge assumed the 3-point stance. DeBeers up and Sarge charged in and blasted DeBeers in the chest with the top of his helmet-laden head. Crowd exploded. DeBeers crashed back to the mat. Sarge tossed the helmet and backed up as the crowd rose to its feet. DeBeers slowly up and Sarge charged in and popped DeBeers with his...

Crockett: CANNON! CANNON! CANNON!

DeBeers down. Sarge covered DeBeers and hooked the leg. Crowd counted along. 1...2...3... NO! DeBeers got a shoulder up. Loud crowd groan. Sarge reached down to snap up DeBeers and Debeers nailed Sarge with a low-blow. Sarge crashed to the mat holding his goods. Crowd heat intense. Both men down. Ref checked on both men but could do no more. Both men slowly to their feet and DeBeers nailed Sarge with an open-hand throat-thrust that stunned Sarge. Sarge fell against the ropes holding his throat. DeBeers moved to the corner and untied the top turnbuckle exposing the steel underneath. DeBeers punched Sarge and went to whip Sarge into the exposed turnbuckle steel but Sarge reversed and sent DeBeers crashing back-first into it. Crowd popped. Sarge quickly regained his bearings and charged in on DeBeers but DeBeers moved and Sarge slammed chest-first into the exposed steel. Sarge slowly turned and was grabbing his chest and DeBeers caught Sarge with a kick to the chest. DeBeers then hoisted Sarge up and blasted Sarge with a face-first piledriver. DeBeers turned Sarge over for the pin. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as most of the crowd booed loudly but DeBeers also had his core of fans.

DeBeers to his feet and the ref ref raised his hand in victory as some trash pelted the ring. DeBeers looked out at the crowd which only made them madder. DeBeers left the ring and threw his fists defiantly in the air to more garbage as he headed back up the heel aisle.

Nelson: Col. DeBeers is your winner! Sgt. Slaughter must leave the AWA!

END VIDEO

Pic flipped and DeBeers was standing in his locker room with mic in hand still fresh from the violent affair.

DeBeers had a white towel draped around his neck.

DeBeers: Sgt. Slaughter...

DeBeers used the towel to dab off some some of the blood-encrusted sweat from his face.

DeBeers: Sgt. Slaughter. Your time in the AWA is finished. Your run here as the big star of the promotion is over. A two-time AWA World Champion. And now it's all crumbled to dust. You're now nothing but a memory in the AWA.

The match was violent. The match was bloody. The match was one of no mercy because there was no mercy was to be had in the first place.

One of us was leaving the AWA today. And in the end, I was the winner.

I will go down in the record books as the man who vanquished, you idiotic, decadent Americans might need to look that word up, Sgt. Slaughter.

I may be the most despised wrestler in the world today because of my brave stance in defense of the great nation of apartheid South Africa. I am a man that speaks the truth on many issues. And that's why you Americans hate me with a violent passion. Americans don't like truth.

And now, Sgt. Slaughter is gone. Kaput. But, you still have me: Col. DeBeers.

Every time you see me, whether in the ring, on TV or just out in public somewhere, you'll always think of me as the man who demolished America's Hero. I tore the heart out of America. But, let's not kid ourselves; America has no real heart like the white people of South Africa. Heartlessness is an American virtue.

Sgt. Slaughter is gone from the AWA. And I, Col. DeBeers, am the man who is left standing tall.

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson said Sarge losing to DeBeers was indeed the shocking end of an era.

Pic aired of PWHC Greg Valentine with the caption: NEXT... HAMMERED!!!

Commercials

Commercial aired for the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament video tape. Tape was advertised as two hours of highlights, complete matches and some interviews from the historic event. An 800 number and a mailing address were listed on the screen. Cost of the video: $39.95 + S/H

NON-TITLE: Greg Valentine (PWHC) won a squash match over Jose Luis-Rivera in quick fashion via submission with his figure four finisher. - 2:25

Valentine made his way down the heel aisle to strong boos.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Bischoff: Greg Valentine, that was some angry wrestling! You've got Don Muraco hot on your trail!

Valentine: I am not in a talking mood, Nelson!

The other day, I had the cook at Denny's tell me that Don Muraco is gonna take the title from me!  A cook! A guy with grease stains all over his gross, dirty, unwashed clothes making $5 bucks an hour slingin' hash! His opinion means nothing to me and he needs to keep his thoughts to himself! He's not the champ and doesn't even deserve to speak to a man of my stature!

Crowd booed.

Valentine: You people who think Muraco's gonna take this belt off of me are in for a rude awakening! It...will...not...happen!
I worked too hard to win this title and I'll be damned if I'm gonna give you people the satisfaction of seeing me lose it to that beach bum!

That's all I gotta say!

Valentine left the ring to mainly boos but also some cheers and headed back up the heel aisle.

Video aired of Wahoo defeating Cactus Jack to win the AWA World Title at WrestleRock with the caption: NEXT... DREAM COME TRUE!!!

Commercials

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd video from the Jack-Wahoo World Title tilt at WrestleRock.

VIDEO:

# Jack dropped back to the floor, backed up and charged in on Wahoo but Wahoo moved and Jack slammed flush into the post as the fans cheered. Jack turned and walked right into a hip toss on the concrete from Wahoo. Wahoo grabbed Jack and threw him back into the ring. Jack on his knees as Wahoo moved in and Jack headbutted the challenger in the groin. Wahoo staggered back and fell against the ropes.  Jack moved in and caught Wahoo with some punches and pulled Wahoo away from the ropes and bodyslammed the Chief. Jack went for a running elbow smash but Wahoo rolled out of the way and Jack crashed to the mat. Crowd cheered. Jack up facing away from Wahoo and Wahoo rolled Jack up from behind for the pin. 1...2... Jack kicked out. Crowd groaned. Both men up and Jack went to punch Wahoo but Wahoo blocked the punch try and Jack nailed Jack with a punch of his own and then hit Jack with a piledriver. Crowd popped. Wahoo for the cover. 1...2...three... NO! Jack got his foot on the bottom rope. Ref patted Wahoo on the back. Wahoo got up thinking he'd won the belt. Ref had to inform Wahoo he did not. Cactus made it to his feet. Wahoo turned and walked right into a running swinging neckbreaker. Jack's fans cheered. Jack covered Wahoo for the pin. 1...2...three.. NO! Wahoo kicked out. Majority of the crowd cheered. Both men down. Ref started the 10-count. Both men stirred as the count grew. Both men up and Jack caught Wahoo with headbutt that sent Wahoo crashing back to the mat. Jack grabbed Wahoo's legs and flipped over on top of Wahoo for the cover. 1...2...thr... Wahoo bridged up and caught Jack in a backslide for the pinfall. 1...2...3... NO! Jack barely kicked out. Crowd groaned. Both men up and Wahoo swung at Jack and missed and Jack kicked Wahoo in the gut and this time hit Wahoo with his stump-puller piledriver. Jack for the cover. 1...2...3... NO! Wahoo got a shoulder up. Crowd cheered. Jack pulled Wahoo up and went to whip Wahoo into the corner but Wahoo reversed and the force of the whip sent Jack's head crashing into the steel ring bolt that connects the ring post to the turnbuckle. Jack staggered backwards and crashed to his back in the ring. Wahoo quickly shook out the effects of the piledriver and covered Jack and hooked the leg. 1...2...thr... Jack managed to kick out. Crowd groaned. Both men up and Jack punched Wahoo and threw Wahoo front-first into the buckles. Wahoo slammed into them and turned around and walked right into a bodyslam from Jack. Jack mounted the middle buckle and came off with a second rope leg drop but Wahoo rolled out of the way and Jack crashed to the mat as the fans cheered. Jack to his feet and Wahoo to a knee and Jack went to kick Wahoo in the head but Wahoo caught Jack's foot and Jack was caught as Wahoo rose to his feet. Wahoo held the leg and peppered Jack with blistering chest chops, let go of the leg, grabbed Jack by the hair and nailed Jack with a tomahawk chop. Crowd into it. Wahoo whipped Jack into the ropes and caught Jack coming off with his big chop finisher. Jack crashed to the mat. Wahoo for the cover and hooked the leg. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the fans erupted.

Wahoo got to his feet and was elated. Ref went over and talked to Larry Nelson and took the belt. Ref handed Wahoo the title and raised Wahoo's hand in victory to more cheers.

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd the post-match interview with Wahoo ion the locker room where Wahoo gets an unwelcome surprise guest.

VIDEO:

Video opened with a shot of Wahoo with the belt slung over his shoulder and Bischoff in a suit and tie with mic in hand.

Eric: This is Eric Bischoff at WrestleRock coming to you from the victorious locker room of the NEW AWA World Champion Wahoo McDaniel!

Chief, how are you feeling right now?!

Wahoo: Eric, things are just now really starting to sink in for me! I'm a little bit numb right now! This is unvbelievable! With as long as I've been in this sport, I knew this was realistically my last chance to win the World Championship!

Eric: Does it feel like a dream?

Wahoo: It does. But it's reality. And after tonight, I'll be on the road defending this championship.

Eric: What's your opinion of the wrestler you defeated for the title, Cactus Jack?

Wahoo: People can think what they want. But, Cactus Jack is one tough individual.We may not like each other. But I respect him as a competitor. He's a very different wrestler. He's something the sport has never seen before so he's hard to read in the ring. But, I was able to complete the task and defeat him and become the new World Champion.

Greg Gagne and Ken Patera walked into the picture and sprayed Wahoo with champagne. Both men congratulated Wahoo and hugged him.

Eric: Whoa! Looks like the celebration is really starting to kick in!

Wahoo: I will never forget this day in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, Eric! It's been won...

Jake Milliman walked into the picture.

Eric: What's this?!

Jake poured a bottle of 2% white milk over Wahoo's head.

Jake: The 'Milkman' delivers! Congratulations, Wahoo! Make us proud as World Champion!

Wahoo laughed and hugged Milliman.

Milliman walked out of the picture and the Top Guns and Brad Rheingans came into the frame and congratulated Wahoo. A little more champagne from Rheingans.

Eric: I'm sensing it's gonna be quite a party tonight, Chief?!

Wahoo: It will be, Eric! And you're invited!

Eric: I am there, Chief! Congratulations once again on becoming the new...

The locker room door suddenly slammed open and things suddenly got quiet.

It was Greg Valentine. He had the PWHC belt slung over his shoulder.

Eric: Wait a minute! Greg...

Greg got in Wahoo's face.

Valentine: Congratulations on winning the World Championship, Wahoo!

Now, it's time to start to defending that title!

And this belt, the Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship, automatically makes me the number one contender for pro wrestling's biggest prize!

And who did I beat to win this belt in the finals of the tournament?! I beat you, Wahoo! I put you down for the count!

Enjoy tonight, Wahoo! Have fun until it hurts!

Because starting tomorrow, you're gonna have me looking right over your shoulder!

Get ready, Wahoo! I'm coming for that World Title! And I won't rest until I win it!

Valentine stormed out of the face locker room as everyone looked on.

Eric: Chief, anything to say about that?

Wahoo: Since Greg Valentine is the Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion, that does make him an automatic contender for the World Title.

Valentine and me have an interesting history that goes back a few years. And now our paths will cross again.

Greg Valentine. Sign the contract, step into the ring and I'm more than ready and willing to put big silver on the line against you.

Eric: He is the new World Champion Chief Wahoo McDaniel!

END VIDEO

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... THE MAIN EVENT!!!

Commercials

TV MAIN EVENT: Jonnie Stewart vs. Jerry Blackwell

Blackwell came down the face aisle to a pretty good response from the crowd.

Stewart came down the heel aisle to strong boos.

Ref called for the bell.

The two men circled one another and Stewart and Blackwell locked hands and engaged in a  test of strength. After a brief struggle for the advantage, Blackwell drove Stewart to his knees and Stewart's hands to the mat. Blackwell stomped on Stewart's hands. Stewart popped up grabbing his hands as the crowd cheered. Stewart quickly backed into the corner grabbing his mitts. Blackwell moved in and Stewart stuck his upper body out through the top and middle rope. Ref ordered Blackwell to stand back and Blackwell did. Stewart stunned Blackwell with a kick to the gut and started pounding away on Blackwell. Stewart whipped Blackwell into the buckles and charged in and hit Blackwell with a running back elbow smash to the chest. Stewart hit Blackwell with a European uppercut and then went to whip Blackwell into the opposite buckles but Blackwell reversed. Blackwell charged in on Stewart but Stewart moved and Blackwell stopped. Stewart and turned and pointed to his head like he was really smart for avoiding the avalanche. Stewart turned and Blackwell popped Stewart with a headbutt. Stewart crashed to the mat. Crowd popped. Blackwell started to pull Stewart up but Stewart got his leg out over the middle rope and forced a break. Stewart climbed out on the apron. Ref ordered Blackwell to stand back. Stewart slowly climbed back in the ring and charged over at Blackwell and Blackwell caught Stewart in a bearhug. Stewart in agony as Blackwell cinched up on the hold. Stewart fighting to not  give in. Stewart then raked Blackwell's eyes and escaped the hold. Stewart clubbed Blackwell across the back and then slammed Blackwell's head into the top buckle. Stewart repeated the move. Stewart went to do it again but Blackwell grabbed the top rope with both hands and resisted. Stewart tried again with the same result. Blackwell then caught Stewart with a couple of elbows to the side of the ribs and freed himself from Stewart's grasp.  Blackwell then grabbed Stewart and then repeatedly slammed Stewart's head into the top buckle as the crowd counted along. Stewart staggered out of the corner, dropped to his knees and then on his face in the ring. Stewart made it to his feet and Blackwell nailed Stewart with a standing dropkick. Stewart down again.

Reynolds: Blackwell has amazing agility for a man his size.

Crockett: He does, Jack! He does!

Blackwell snapped up Stewart and bodyslammed Stewart and then Blackwell went for an elbow smash but Stewart rolled out of the way and Blackwell crashed to the mat. Both men down. Ref counting. Stewart up as Blackwell got to a knee and Stewart blistered Blackwell with a series of head shots. Stewart snapped Blackwell up for a bodyslam but Blackwell shifted his weight and Stewart crashed to the mat with Blackwell on top of him. Blackwell for the pin. 1...2...3! No! Stewart got his foot on the bottom rope. Ref ordered a break. Stewart rolled out of the ring and crashed to the floor. Crowd cheered. Ref ordered Blackwell to stand back. Ref started the 10-count. Stewart to his feet next to the ring apron. Blackwell came over to grab Stewart but the ref intercepted him. Stewart reached in the ring and grabbed Blackwell's leg. Blackwell wobbled and crashed on his back next to the ropes. Stewart climbed up on the apron and dived between the top and middle rope onto Blackwell with his feet on the middle rope for leverage. Ref counted the pin. 1...2...thr... Ref looked up and saw Stewart's feet on the ropes and ordered a break. Stewart up and stomped away on Blackwell. Stewart snapped Blackwell up and went to whip Blackwell into the buckles but Blackwell reversed and sent Stewart crashing into them. Blackwell charged in and nailed Stewart with an avalanche. Stewart staggered out of the corner, spun around and crashed to his back on the mat. Blackwell backed into the ropes and came off with his diving splash finisher but Stewart rolled out of the way and Blackwell crashed to the mat.  Blackwell rolled over on his back and Stewart hit Blackwell with a rapid-fire series of elbows to the chest and maneuvered Blackwell into position. Stewart went out on the ring apron and mounted the top rope in the corner and came off with his flying elbow smash to the chest finisher. Stewart hooked the leg for the pin. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as most of the fans booed.

Stewart slowly to his feet and the ref raised his hand in victory as the program ended.

WINNER: Stewart - PInfall - 6:41

END PROGRAM

BOB BACKLUND DEFENDS THE WWF TITLE AGAINST THE SARGE IN A CAGE (Backlund was a solid worker who was weak, but very real, on promos.):

Edited by piperrulz
  • Like 2

JUNE 1990

AWA HQ - ST. LOUIS PARK, MN

Jim Crockett had steam in his strides as he walked to Bill Watts' office.

Crockett did not knock.

Bill: Dammit, Jim! Knock first!

Jim: Sorry, Bill. I've got major news.

Bill: Hit me with it.

Jim: Tully is no longer in contract talks about returning to the NWA!

Bill: Really?! Hot damn!

Bill happily slammed his hand down on his desk.

Jim: We need to start talking to him pronto about coming to work for us here.

Bill: I agree. Signing Tully would be huge for us.

If we can land him, it really makes it look to the fans like we're becoming serious players again.

Jim: Three major signings in short order if Tully comes on board along with Nikita and Barry.

Bill: We've upgraded the women's division and given Mimi some new challengers.

The men's division is upgraded and we really needed that!

Plus, bringing in Scott Norton and Billy Jack Haynes on a regular basis adds fuel to the tag team scene.

Jim: We need to bring more of those Portland wrestlers in on a regular basis.

Bill: I'm on board. I love the work of Rip Oliver. He's an excellent heel.

Jim: We should also look at bringing in the Grappler and Mike Miller as regulars, too.

Bill: I'm really liking where things are headed. We need to keep Portland Wrestling alive, though. You know, we recently sent Valentine up there to defend the Pro Wrestling Heritage strap in three cities: Portland, Seattle and Bend, Oregon.

That outdoor show at the baseball stadium in Bend drew over 2,000 people. People are hungry for a change in the Northwest. The AWA should be the promotion that delivers that change.

Jim: Are you talking about touring in the Pacific Northwest?

Bill: Yes. The AWA champion has appeared there several times over the years on Pacific Northwest shows. Let's just send our guys on a tour there.

We can hit Seattle, Portland, Bend, Spokane and a few other towns in Washington and Oregon. It expands our territory and gives us a foothold there if we can tour there fairly regularly.

Plus, next months All-Star TVs are being held in Casper, Wyoming. Hoping we can draw 3,000 for the show.

Jim: Do you think we should do this gradually. We don't want to over-extend ourselves.

Bill: Of course. Let's try a Northwest tour in fall or early winter.

Jim: Let's put the cities together and get Eric to work booking them.

Bill: Let's do it.

The two talked about the pan for a Northwest invasion.

The question is would it work?

The AWA was starting to gamble!

CLASSIC PWI COVER!!!

86-09.thumb.gif.fa2f4fda987d5a832d91ce252fdbeec9.gif
Edited by piperrulz
  • Like 2

image.png.ed794176ef4c74bef60a1fe86f4c30b7.png.5b8f66067d11dc12a3757097ecafe150.png.fe43124957fd45b36724d18a9a6b6cfc.png.33733df2491239c8e898914b102c1b9a.png.9296b22bc82c75a081bedf8ecc261bb0.png

(PREVIOUS POST: Is the AWA expanding???)

(# Aired on a previous AWA program. Also highlighted in bold.)

(2nd Taping)

Show Intro

TV MAIN EVENT: Ken Patera & Brad Rheingans vs. Billy Joe Travis & Soultaker (USWA)

Bob Orton, winner of a Battle Royal three weeks ago, announces what title he will challenge for

A major announcement about next week's show

Women's Champ Magnificent Mimi and Valerie make an appearance

Tommy Jammer vs.  Tommy Rich

A look back at the end of the Muraco-Kokina match and post match comments from Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey

Lelani Kai vs. 'Big' Reggie Bennett

And more!

Nelson sent it to the ring in Vegas.

Tom Zenk won a squash match over Gino Carabello via pinfall with his missle dropkick finisher

Zenk got a fair response coming down the face aisle

Pic aired of Bob Orton with the caption: NEXT... DECISION TIME!!!

Commercials

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd video from the Battle Royal a few weeks ago where the winner won a shot at a title of his choosing.

VIDEO (Match JIP):

6 - Jonnie Stewart - By Ken Patera - 5:17

7 - Don Muraco - - By Manny Fernandez - 5:58

8 - Manny Fernandez - By Ken Patera - 7:06

9 - Ken Patera - By Bob Orton - 9:12

WINNER: Orton (Orton gets to challenge for whichever championship he wants to.)

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd comments from Orton revealing the title he's going after.

VIDEO:

Orton was in street clothes, vest and cowboy hat standing in front of the AWA logo with mic in hand.

Orton: You could call it devine providence.

A few days before WrestleRock, I won a Battle Royal where the winner gets to choose which championship he wishes to challenge for.

And, lo and behold, Wahoo McDaniel wins the AWA World Championship at WrestleRock.

It's like it was meant to be.

When I came back to the AWA, I made it clear my goal was to become the World Champion. It's a title I've never held.

Wahoo worked all these years to finally win the greatest prize in our sport.

Now it's my turn.

I'm challenging Wahoo McDaniel for the AWA World Championship.

And you people better get ready. The 'Cowboy' is gonna finally realize his own dream to become the World Champion.

Your days at the top are numbered Wahoo. It's destiny. I have your number.

END VIDEO

Pic aired of 'Big' Reggie Bennett with the caption: NEXT... 'BIG' REG IN ACTION!!!

Commercials/AWA Tour Update

'Big' Reggie Bennett vs. Lelani Kai

Kai came to the ring down the heel aisle to a fair amount of boos.

Bennett came down the face aisle to a decent crowd reaction.

Match was a good battle between up-and-comer Bennett and the crafty veteran Kai. Kai gained the upper hand on a couple of occasions by taking shortcuts but was unable to defeat Reggie.

Dundee: You know, Joe, Reggie's a big one. And I like big girls. The bigger the girl the more the fun! Lots of bounce!

Pedicino: Please, Bill. Concentrate on the match!

End of the match saw Kai on the offensive. Kai went to whip Bennett into the ropes but Bennett reversed and caught Kai coming off by the hair, spun Kai around and slammed Kai face-first into the mat. Bennett then applied her split-leg rear chinlock finisher on Kai and Kai wasn't in the hold for long before submitting to a nice pop from the crowd.

Bennett up and the ref raised her hand in victory.

Pedicino: Reggie is gonna be a serious threat to Mimi's title reign! I can't wait to see that match!

Dundee: She may be bigger than Mimi! She may have a lot more bounce to the ounce! But Mimi's a tough dame! And with the clever Valerie in her corner she's gonna be tough to beat even for a bouncy broad Reggie Bennett!

Pedicino: Would you please watch the comments!

WINNER: Bennett - Submission - 6:09

Video aired of Sheik assaulting Don Muraco after Muraco's match with Kokina at WrestleRock with the caption: NEXT... BEATDOWN!!!

Commercials

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd video of the post-match beatdown by Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey on Don Muraco following Muraco's loss to Kokina at WrestleRock.

VIDEO:

# Kokina mounted the middle buckle and came off with his Bonzai Drop (butt drop from the middle buckle to the chest) that connected. Kokina for the pin. 1...2...3! Crowd booed. Kokina up and looked down at Muraco.

Sheik quickly hit the ring and put the boots to Muraco. Masked Doc had climbed in the ring and Kaissey grabbed his doctor bag as Kokina pulled the defeated Muraco to his feet. Kaissey pulled out a weapon.

Reynolds: Wait a minute! Is that one of those metal blood pressure devices?!

Kaissey reared back and took a baseball-like swing with the long, narrow device and smashed Muraco upside the head with it. Kokina let Muraco go and Muraco crumpled to the mat. Fans popped as AWA officials and wrestlers from the face dressing room and Kaissey and the Masked Doc bolted the ring but Kokina was not budging. Officials pleading to check on Muraco but Kokina just stared at them. Kaissey signaled for Kokina to leave and Kokina did so. Crowd booed the trio on the floor and some trash was thrown in their direction as they made their way back up the heel aisle as Muraco was checked on in the ring.

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson said Eric Bischoff caught up with Sheik in the locker room after the vicious assault.

VIDEO:

Bischoff was standing with Sheik in the locker room with mic in hand.

Eric: Sheik, that was one of the most despicable acts I've ever seen in professional wrestling! Who knows how badly injured Don Muraco is!

Sheik: I hope and pray to Allah that he is badly injured! He deserved it! Don Muraco! How did it feel when that blood pressure device crashed against your head! I know it had to hurt a great deal! And I took great joy in delivering the blow!

Eric: That is sick! What kind of a man...

Sheik: Shut up, infidel! He hit me with a chair and I paid him back a thousand fold!

Eric: He hit you with a chair in Vegas because you tried to attack him! He hit you tonight for the same reason! This was completely uncalled for!

Sheik: An eye for an eye! A tooth for a tooth! Muraco had it coming! Muraco learned a serious lesson! You don't lay your hands on a manager! Especially a manager of my caliber!

Don Muraco is suffering right now for his sins against me! And I pray he suffers for a long, long time!

Eric: I can't continue this interview. Cut the camera.

Bischoff shook his head in disbelief.

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson said that they'll have comments from Muraco next week!

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT.,. MORE GREAT ACTION!!!

Commercials

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: Nelson said that Nikita Koloff would be making his AWA  wrestling debut next week on ESPN!

PLUS!

An interview with new World Champion Wahoo McDaniel

Nelson sent it back to the ring in Vegas.

Tommy Jammer vs. Tommy Rich

Jammer came to the ring down the face aisle to modest cheers.

Rich came to the ring to pretty strong boos.

Jammer came out on fire early but Rich took control and finished Jammer off with his Thesz Press finisher to score the 1...2...3!

WINNER: Rich - Pinfall - 2:34

Pic aired of Magnificent Mimi with the caption: NEXT... SHE'S THE CHAMP!!!

Commercials

In-ring: Nelson stood center ring with mic in hand.

Nelson: Would you please welcome my guests at this time. She is accompanied by her manager Valerie. She is the reigning AWA Women's World Champion the Magnificent Mimi!

Crowd booed as the pair made their way down the heel aisle to the ring.

The pair climbed into the ring and Mimi, in her ring attire, strutted around the ring holding the title aloft to more boos.

Nelson: Before we get to the champ, Valerie, Mimi lost the powerbomb vs. powerbomb match to Wendi Richter at WrestleRock. And you were locked in a cage at ringside.

Valerie: I'm now in therapy because of my experience at WrestleRock.

They had me caged up like a wild animal on display for the fans so the fans could mock me and throw things at me! I've never been so humiliated and traumatized in my life!

Crowd cheered.

Valerie: Oh! You fans cheer my misfortune! But, the woman standing next to me is still the AWA Women's Champion! Cheer that!

Cheers turned to boos.

Valerie: Richter may have won the match! But she's still not the champion! And at the end of the day that's what counts!

Nelson: We could not help but notice that the masked mystery man came to ringside and tried to free you from the cage. What's the relationship there?

Valerie: There is no there there! Nothing! The masked man was just acting as a good Samaritan because of the injustice perpetrated against me putting me in that cage!

Nelson: Mimi, two new women have arrived in the AWA. They both look good so far and may wind up challenging for your title.

The one I want to ask you about is 'Big' Reggie Bennett. She's a big woman who's a power wrestler. She could be a real threat to your title reign. What are your thoughts on her?

Mimi: Nelson, the bigger they come, the harder they fall! Reggie Bennett will wind up getting the short end of the stick just like every other challenger has so far!

She may be a power wrestler! But, I'm the smarter wrestler! She doesn't have my smarts and cunning and that will be her doom at my hands!

I'm reading Nietzsche! She's reading Cat In The Hat!

Crowd booed.

Nelson: Do you really want to make her mad?

Mimi: It doesn't matter how mad she gets! And with Valerie in my corner, there's no way I'm losing to her with the belt on the line if it happens!

Nelson: The loss to Wendi Richter...

Mimi: Like Valerie said, I lost to Richter but I didn't lose the belt! Let Richter brag about her win over me! She's still naked around the waist! I'm still the champion and there's no end in sight to my reign!

Mimi held the belt aloft and strutted around the ring again to more boos.

Nelson: Women's Champion Magnificent Mimi and her manager Valerie, everybody!

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... AWA VS. USWA!!!

Commercials

TV MAIN EVENT - AWA VS. USWA: Ken Patera & Brad Rheingans vs. Soultaker & Billy Travis (USWA)

Travis and Soultaker* made their way down the heel aisle to modest boos.

Announcers pointed out that the team was representing the USWA.

Patera & Rheingans came down the face aisle to a decent crowd response.

Announcers pointed out that recently, Col. DeBeers pinned Patera when Patera became distracted by Valerie at ringside and DeBeers rolled Patera up from behind to score the victory.

The USWA team made a good showing and gave Ken and Brad all they could handle. Both sides had some close near falls and the heel team from Memphis used some heel tactics to gain the upper hand during the match.

End of the match saw Rheingans and Soultaker the legal men in the ring. Rheingans was on the offensive and went to whip Soultaker into the corner but 'Taker reversed and sent Rheingans crashing into the buckles. 'Taker charged in and splashed Rheingans and Rheingans stumbled out of the corner and crashed to the mat.

Crowd booed as Valerie made her way down the heel aisle to ringside and started taking notes.

'Taker grabbed Rheingans, whipped Rheingans into the ropes and caught Rheingans coming off with a sitout side slam. 'Taker for the cover. 1...2... Rheingans got a shoulder up. Patera looked over and saw Val and walked down the apron and started yelling at Val and gesturing for her to leave the ringside area. Ref went over to get Patera back to his corner. While that was going on, 'Taker snapped Rheingans up and whipped Rheingans into the corner and looked to nail Rheingans with another running splash but Rheingans moved and 'Taker slammed front-first into the buckles as the crowd cheered. Patera dropped to the floor to confront Val and the ref followed Patera to the floor in an effort to keep them separated. 'Taker turned and Rheingans grabbed 'Taker and hit 'Taker with a fisherman suplex (Perfect Plex) for the pin. Crowd yelling at the ref to pay attention to the match but he was still on the floor trying to get Patera back to his corner. Travis hit the ring and stomped Rheingans in the gut, snapped Rheingans up and dropped Rheingans throat-first across the top rope. Rheingans snapped back and crashed to the ring. 'Taker snatched up Rheingans and hit him with a swinging neckbreaker. Travis dropped to the floor and started having words with Patera. 'Taker covered Rheingans. Travis gestured to the ref about the pin try. Ref quickly climbed back in the ring and counted. 1... Patera tried to climb back in the ring but Travis grabbed him. ...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the fans booed. Patera escaped Travis' grasp and dropped Travis with a punch on the floor. Val disappeared back up the heel aisle. Patera climbed back in the ring. 'Taker up and the ref raised his hand in victory. 'Taker left the ring and joined the recovering Travis on the floor and the two briefly celebrated before heading back up the heel aisle to boos. Patera briefly checked on his partner.

Larry Nelson climbed up on the apron with mic in hand.

Patera: Valerie! This is twice now, twice, that you've cost me matches recently! I'm sick and tired of it! Stay out of mine and Brad's business! Neither of us is interested in working for you!

WINNER: Soultaker & Travis (USWA) - Pinfall  - 7:27

(* Soultaker, aka, Papa Shango, aka, Kama, aka, The Godfather)

END PROGRAM

CLASSIC PWI COVER!!!

(Do you have a fave PWI cover? Can be from any time period. Is the magazine useless today?)

84-05.thumb.gif.1afb6588fc6ef5c2bd1e7c5cbb2a36a8.gif

Edited by piperrulz
  • Like 2

image.png.e6c54575efca5878596629f14cd00450.png.35fc0e9647641c20a881d87e7d58a706.png.cb8de151b07ebd3d-eb7b13db342df9906070d6.png.86998030d7a042f0d03973fc9d139435.png.9814cc859f1814484d93bdc8458d5b55.png

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING SYNDICATED PROGRAM - ROCKFORD METROCENTRE - ROCKFORD, IL - JUNE 1990

(2nd Taping)

Show Intro

TV MAIN EVENT: Sam Houston (w/ Coach Murdoch) vs. Cactus Jack

An interview with new AWA President Nick Bockwinkel

A look at the vicious assault on Don Muraco by Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey after Muraco's match with Kokina at WrestleRock
World Tag Team Champions The Destruction Crew see action

Bob Orton, winner of a Battle Royal three weeks ago, announces what title he will challenge for

Dutch Mantell of the USWA wrestles

And more!!!

Nelson sent it to the ring in Rockford.

Tina Moretti vs. Desiree Petersen

Petersen came down the heel aisle to a small crowd response.

Moretti came down the face aisle to a good response.

The two felt each other out early and then Petersen gained the advantage but Moretti fought back and defeated Petersen via pinfall with her Samoan Driver (Cultural Appropriation!) - 4:27

In-Studio: Nelson said Moretti is looking good in her first few AWA matches and that she could be hot on the heels of Magnificent Mimi for the Women's gold very soon.

Pic aired of Bob Orton with the caption: NEXT... ORTON'S CHOICE!!!

Commercials

In-Studio: Larry Nelson intro'd video from the Battle Royal a few weeks ago where the winner won a shot at a title of his choosing.

# VIDEO (Match JIP):

6 - Jonnie Stewart - By Ken Patera - 5:17

7 - Don Muraco - - By Manny Fernandez - 5:58

8 - Manny Fernandez - By Ken Patera - 7:06

9 - Ken Patera - By Bob Orton - 9:12

WINNER: Orton (Orton gets to challenge for whichever championship he wants to.)

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd comments from Orton revealing the title he's going after.

VIDEO:

# Orton was in street clothes, vest and cowboy hat standing in front of the AWA logo with mic in hand.

Orton: You could call it devine providence.

A few days before WrestleRock, I won a Battle Royal where the winner gets to choose which championship he wishes to challenge for.

And, lo and behold, Wahoo McDaniel wins the AWA World Championship at WrestleRock.
It's like it was meant to be.

When I came back to the AWA, I made it clear my goal was to become the World Champion. It's a title I've never held.

Wahoo worked all these years to finally win the greatest prize in our sport.

Now it's my turn.

I'm challenging Wahoo McDaniel for the AWA World Championship.

And you people better get ready. The 'Cowboy' is gonna finally realize his own dream to become the World Champion.

Your days at the top are numbered Wahoo. It's destiny. I have your number.

END VIDEO

Pic aired of Dutch Mantell with the caption: NEXT... 'DIRTY' DUTCH!!!

Dutch Mantell (USWA) won a squash match over Reno Riggins when Mantell pinned Riggins with his scoop powerslam piledriver

Mantel came down the heel aisle to a modest crowd response.

Announcers discussed Mantell being from the USWA

Video aired of the attack on Don Muraco by Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey at WrestleRock with the caption: NEXT... BRUTAL ATTACK!!!

Commercials

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd video of the post-match beatdown by Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey on Don Muraco following Muraco's loss to Kokina at WrestleRock.

VIDEO:

# Kokina mounted the middle buckle and came off with his Bonzai Drop (butt drop from the middle buckle to the chest) that connected. Kokina for the pin. 1...2...3! Crowd booed. Kokina up and looked down at Muraco.

Sheik quickly hit the ring and put the boots to Muraco. Masked Doc had climbed in the ring and Kaissey grabbed his doctor bag as Kokina pulled the defeated Muraco to his feet. Kaissey pulled out a weapon.

Reynolds: Wait a minute! Is that one of those metal blood pressure devices?!

Kaissey reared back and took a baseball-like swing with the long, narrow device and smashed Muraco upside the head with it. Kokina let Muraco go and Muraco crumpled to the mat. Fans popped as AWA officials and wrestlers from the face dressing room hit the ring and Kaissey and the Masked Doc bolted the ring but Kokina was not budging. Officials pleading to check on Muraco but Kokina just stared at them. Kaissey signaled for Kokina to leave and Kokina did so. Crowd booed the trio on the floor and some trash was thrown in their direction as they made their way back up the heel aisle as Muraco was checked on in the ring.

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson said Eric Bischoff caught up with Sheik in the locker room after the vicious assault.

VIDEO:

Bischoff was standing with Sheik in the locker room with mic in hand.

Eric: Sheik, that was one of the most despicable acts I've ever seen in professional wrestling! Who knows how badly injured Don Muraco is!

Sheik: I hope and pray to Allah that he is badly injured! He deserved it! Don Muraco! How did it feel when that blood pressure device crashed against your head! I know it had to hurt a great deal! And I took great joy in delivering the blow!

Eric: That is sick! What kind of a man...

Sheik: Shut up, infidel! He hit me with a chair and I paid him back a thousand fold!

Eric: He hit you with a chair in Vegas because you tried to attack him! He hit you tonight for the same reason! This was completely uncalled for!

Sheik: An eye for an eye! A tooth for a tooth! Muraco had it coming! Muraco learned a serious lesson! You don't lay your hands on a manager! Especially a manager of my caliber!

Don Muraco is suffering right now for his sins against me! And I pray he suffers for a long, long time!

Eric: I can't continue this interview. Cut the camera.

Bischoff shook his head in disbelief.

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson said that they'll have comments from Muraco next week!

Pic aired of the Destruction Crew with the caption: NEXT... GOLDEN BOYS!!!

NON-TITLE: The Destruction Crew (WTTC) won a squash match over Dennis Stamp & Rock Hunter via pinfall when Bloom pinned Hunter after the Wrecking Ball (Doomsday Device)

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Bischoff: Wayne Bloom. Mike Enos. You two just continue rolling along as the World Tag Team Champions...

Bloom: That's right! There's no stopping the Destruction Crew!

Now, I have something I want to bring to everyone's attention!

You see, we've been the AWA Tag Champs for over a year now and we're not getting the recognition we deserve! No one in the AWA nor anyone in the wrestling media has uttered a word about our runaway success!

We've taken on all comers and we've defeated all comers! No matter who it has been, we've emerged with the titles still around our waists!

And yet, it's like we're in visible! Over one year we've held these titles! And we'll be standing out here at this time next year still the champs!

Will we get the credit we deserve then?!

You people in the wrestling world need to show us some damned respect!

Enos: My brother in pain said all that needs to be said! We've been the champs for over a year now and it does not look like our reign is ending anytime soon! It is gonna be another year of more of the same! New opponents; same results!

The Destruction Crew is here to stay as the best in the wrestling world for a loooooooooooooong time to come!

Show us the respect we deserve for being the best in the business!

Bischoff: The Destruction Crew, everybody!

Video aired of Bockwinkel being introduced as the new AWA President at WrestleRock with the caption: NEXT... MR. PRESIDENT!!!

Commercials

In-ring: Larry Nelson stood center ring with mic in hand.

Bischoff: Would you please welcome my guest at this time. He is the new President of the AWA... Nick Bockwinkel!

Crowd cheered as Bockwinkel, in a suit, made his way down the face aisle.

Once in the ring, Bockwinkel acknowledged the crowd.

Bischoff: Welcome, President Bockwinkel!

Crowd cheered.

Nick: Thank you, Eric. It's great to be here.

Bischoff: You're now the president of the AWA. What are you looking to accomplish during your term?

Nick: World peace. Lower taxes. Cheaper gas. More job creation.

Bischoff: Hahaha! Those are great things for a president to accomplish. Are you listening, President Bush?

But, what will a President Bockwinkel look to accomplish on the wrestling front here in the AWA?

Nick: First, let me just say a thank you to former President Stanley Blackburn for his service to the AWA. I have some big shoes to fill.

I am looking to be a president that is firm but fair, Larry.

As everyone knows, professional wrestling, the greatest sport in the world, can be a wild, chaotic sport at times.

I intend to  call things right down the middle. As president, I can no longer play favorites.

But, if you cross the line, I want you to know that I will deal with you accordingly no matter which side of the fence you're on.

Fans cheered.

Bischoff: You've got some people in wrestling who like to bend the rules.

Nick: You certainly do have those. And I was a master at bending those rules on many an occasion as some of my opponents can attest to.
But, I'm now in the position where I have to try and enforce the rules to the best of my ability. And I realize that sometimes that is not easy to do.

Bischoff: Well, Nick, it's great to have you back in the AWA as president. We wish you the best.

Nick: Thank you. And I'm gonna work hard for you fans to make the AWA an organization you can be proud of.

Crowd cheered.

Bischoff: Nick Bockwinkel, everybody!

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... SAM VS. CACTUS!!!
Commercials

Promo aired for the AWA PPV Super Clash 5 - Sunday - Sept. 16 - Mecca Arena - Milwaukee, WI - Bell time: 8pm E/5pm P. 

TV MAIN EVENT: Sam Houston (w/ Coach Murdoch) vs. Cactus Jack

Sam Houston and Dick Murdoch came down the face aisle to a nice ovation from the fans.

Once in the ring, Sam briefly played to the crowd.

Crazy Train by Ozzy filled the arena and Cactus Jack made his way down the heel aisle to the ring to mainly boos but also pretty strong cheers.

Murdoch had final words with Sam and left the ring. Murdoch, now on the floor, said something to Sam and Sam turned to talk to his mentor and Jack charged over and attacked Sam.

Ref called for the bell.

Jack pounded away on Sam.

Announcers pointed out that Jack has been really angry since losing the World Title to Wahoo.

Jack whipped Sam into the ropes and caught Sam coming off with a back elbow to the chest. Sam crashed to the mat. Sam up and Jack hit Sam with a running neckbreaker. Sam down and crawled into the corner. Sam sat up in the corner. Jack backed up and charged in and popped Sam with a running knee to the face. Murdoch urging Sam on from ringside. Jack snapped Sam up and threw Sam out between the top and middle rope down to the floor. Jack left the ring, dropped to the floor and hit Sam with a sidebreaker across the knee. Ref counting. Jack climbed up on the apron and quickly stepped in and out of the ring to break the count and then nailed Sam with his running elbow smash off the apron to the floor. Both men down for a moment as the ref counted. Jack snapped up Sam and threw Sam back into the ring. Jack followed Sam in as Sam was slowly getting to his feet. Jack moved in and nailed Sam with punches and then dropped Sam with a discus clothesline. Jack then made the finger guns and did the BANG! BANG! Sam in a bad way. Sam up and fell against the ropes and Jack moved in and started biting his forehead. Jack broke the illegal move at the ref's count of 4. Jack repeated the move and broke it again at 4. Jack whipped Sam into the ropes and looked to catch Sam coming off with a backdrop but Sam managed to leapfrog Jack. Jack spun around and Sam found the strength to pepper Jack with punches. Sam whipped Jack into the ropes and caught Jack coming off with a flying clothesline. Jack crashed to the mat as most of the fans cheered. Sam jumped on top of Jack and pounded him with more head shots. Sam snapped Jack up and whipped Jack into the ropes and caught Jack coming off with a dropkick. Jack crashed to the mat. Sam briefly played to the cheering fans. Murdoch yelled for Sam to finish him off. Jack up and Sam hit Jack with another dropkick that sent Jack crashing into the corner. Sam alive and so was the crowd. Sam grabbed Jack in a side headlock and went for his bulldog finisher but Jack shoved Sam off and Sam crashed to the mat. Both men down. Ref counting. Both men made it to their feet and Sam walked right into Jack's arms and Jack bodyslammed Sam and then popped him with a running legdrop. Sam flatlined. Jack picked Sam up and nailed Sam with his double underhook DDT finisher. Jack covered Sam for the pin. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell.

Jack up and the ref raised his hand in victory. Jack then stomped on Sam a few times, grabbed Sam and threw Sam over the top rope down to the floor as the program ended.

WINNER: Jack - Pinfall - 5:36

END PROGRAM

Untitled.jpg.5ef66477da930856d005fe5b8c49aa6a.jpg  MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Edited by piperrulz
  • Like 1

READER SURVEY QUESTION???

When you read the show re-caps, do you:

A) Briefly scan them

B) Read parts and ignore others

C) Read the whole thing from start to finish

You readers can help me decide how I'm going to write show re-caps starting in '24.

Your input is appreciated.

And...

Check back on Dec. 25 for my special gift to you, my readers!

Manny Fernandez sends Christmas greetings to Wahoo!

D5mooWIX4AEYInO.thumb.jpg.3ecd1312a755aad42ecaae7818532ab6.jpg

HAVE A VERY CLASSIC WRESTLING CHRISTMAS!

Edited by piperrulz

First I’ll say Larry Bischoff lol

i generally read start to finish but if it’s a recap of the previous segment then sometimes I’ll just scan it if I’m short on time.  But that style is very realistic to air full recaps of certain interviews, angles or match endings from a different show or big event.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Theheel said:

First I’ll say Larry Bischoff lol

i generally read start to finish but if it’s a recap of the previous segment then sometimes I’ll just scan it if I’m short on time.  But that style is very realistic to air full recaps of certain interviews, angles or match endings from a different show or big event.

Did I say Larry Bischoff? 😄

MY GIFT TO YOU!

MERRY CHRISTMAS

TO ALL MY READERS!!!

ENJOY THIS CHRISTMAS DAY 6-PACK!!!

Madusa trashes the World Title... literally:

Bob Sweetan vs. Tully Blanchard for the Southwest Title in a Steel Cage:

Rock N Roll Express (C) vs. Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard for the NWA World Tag Team Titles:

Roddy Piper vs. Jimmy Snuka in a Fijian Strap Match:

Terry & Dory Funk vs. Ted DiBiase & Stan Hansen from Japan:

Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee (If Dundee loses, he and his wife lose their hair/Lawler loses, he leaves town):

• Like 1

JUNE 1990

AWA HQ - ST. LOUIS PARK, MN

Jim Crockett's office...

In attendance were Jim Crockett, Bill Watts and Eric Bischoff.

Jim: Eric, we're looking to book a tour of the Pacific Northwest.

Eric: Just Washington and Oregon?

Jim: Yes.

We have a line-up of cities for you to try and book local arenas for house shows.

Jim handed Eric the cities they wanted booked.

The cities were as follows:
Seattle, WA

Spokane, WA

Yakima, WA

Ellensburg, WA

Portland, OR

Eugene, OR

Le Grande, OR (Eastern Oregon)

Bischoff whistled.

Jim: That's seven cities. Let's try and close out with a double shot on the weekend.

Eric: I'll start doing some research and looking to book the arenas.

Jim: Thanks, Eric.

Bill: Anything on Huey Lewis and the News if we book WrestleRock in 'Frisco next year?

Eric: Talked to their manager. They don't come cheap.

Bill: We figured that. What is their asking price?

Eric: $75,000.

Now Crockett whistled.

Jim: Gotta spend money to make money.

Bill: We've got time to try and hammer out a deal. Let's negotiate and see if we can get 'em a little cheaper.

Jim: Ticket prices for prime seats will be off the charts for this.

Bill: This could be the first AWA show in history to have a $100 dollar ticket price.

Jim: Question is: Would our fans buy it or be put off by it?

Bill: There's only one way to find out. Hell, the WWF charges more than that for their average-at-best WrestleManias.

I think it will be a challenge, but worth the shot.

Jim: We'll give you the date we're planning on for WrestleRock. Right now, the Cow Palace in 'Frisco is the front-runner.

Eric: I'll get on it after booking the Northwest cities.

Jim: Thanks, Eric.

Bill: Thank you.

Eric thanked Crockett and Watts for their time and left the office to get back to work.

Bill: Bischoff is a keeper. We need to hold on to him.

Jim: That's true.

But someone else was eyeing the handsome, telegenic, aggressive young announcer, arena booking wizard and ad salesman.

Was the AWA about to be in for an unexpected shock?

JUNE 1990

WWF

Larry Zbyszko could finally breath a sigh of relief...

After jobbing to Koko B. Ware at house shows when he arrived in the company, Zbyszko wondered where he was headed in the WWF.

One night at a house show, Zbyszko approached road agent Tony Garea and asked why he was being booked to do the job every night.

Garea pulled Zbyszko aside and told him not to tell anyone what he was about to tell him.

Garea said Vince liked to test the new incoming talent to see if they would do a job when asked. Garea told Zbyszko he passed the test and did what he was told at the houses.

Zbyszko was now appearing on TV and winning squash matches. He was doing his old martial arts gimmick complete with nunchuks.

He was now on the way to defeating Koko Ware at Summer Slam.

And then, it was gonna be time for his first big feud in the WWF. And that feud was gonna be against Jake Roberts. And it would culminate in a match at WrestleMania.

It looked like Zbyszko had made the right decision to jump ship.

(I had read that Vince often had new talent come in and job to other wrestlers just to see how well they handled it. In a shoot interview, Tully Blanchard said that the Brain Busters were presented as a kick ass tag team on TV, but they were doing jobs at the house shows to the comedy team the Bushwhackers every night. That's where I drew my inspiration for this with Zbyszko upon his arrival in the WWF.)
Edited by piperrulz
  • Like 4

image.png.ed794176ef4c74bef60a1fe86f4c30b7.png.5b8f66067d11dc12a3757097ecafe150.png.fe43124957fd45b3-1239c8e898914b102c1b9a.png.9296b22bc82c75a081bedf8ecc261bb0.png.9d062170be4a6a1ca1889c9f1fc5ccd1.png

(3rd Taping)

Show Intro

TV MAIN EVENT: Badd Company (w/ Mgr. DDP) vs. The Top Guns

Comments from a new wrestler coming to the AWA!

An interview with new World Champion Wahoo McDaniel

Nikita Koloff makes his AWA in-ring debut

Comments from Don Muraco after the vicious assault by Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey at WrestleRock

Bob Orton laces 'em up
Comments from the masked mystery man who put Trooper to sleep with ether

And more!

Nelson sent it to the ring in Vegas.

Billy Jack Haynes & Scott Norton won a squash match over Dusty Wolfe & Terry Gibbs when Haynes made Gibbs submit to the full nelson

Haynes and Norton got a nice ovation coming down the face aisle.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Billy Jack Haynes and Scott Norton, you're now wrestling for the AWA full-time. And it's clear you two are a force to be reckoned with in the tag team division.

Haynes: It's great to be here in the AWA. Things are really cookin' here. Me and Scott are excited to be here and wrestling in a growing and tough tag team division.

Norton: They call this the new era of the AWA because the AWA is now under new ownership. Well, we're proud to be part of the new era.

We look forward to the challenges that lie ahead for us. Look at some of the great teams you have here: Badd Company, the Top Guns, Patera and Rheingans, Greg Gagne and Jake Milliman and, of course, the World Tag Team Champions the Destruction Crew.

Haynes: Like any new team that comes into a promotion, we know we're gonna have to work our way up the ladder to get a shot at those belts. Every tag team wants the tag titles. Destruction Crew, know this. We are gunning for you. That's the main reason we left the Pacific Northwest and came here. We make no bones about it. We want those titles; and the Destruction Crew better be on high alert.

Norton: We would never have left the beautiful Pacific Northwest if it wasn't for the great opportunity presented by the AWA. Now is the time for us to strike. We'll climb the ladder to earn the right to challenge for those titles. Destruction Crew, it's like this. To use a weather analogy, it looks like cloudy skies today and no title reign tomorrow for you.

Crowd cheered.

Nelson: Strong words from the newest tag team in the AWA! Scott Norton and Billy Jack Haynes, everybody!

Pic aired of Don Muraco with the caption: NEXT... MURACO RESPONDS!!!

Commercials

In-studio: Nelson intro'd comments from Muraco regarding the vicious attack on him by Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey after Muraco's match with Kokina at WrestleRock.

VIDEO:

Muraco was standing in front of the AWA logo in street clothes with mic in hand. He was wearing sunglasses and had a large white bandage on the left side of his face.

Muraco: You see this bandage? I'm wearing it courtesy of Kokina's manager Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey.

When the Sheik hit me in the side of the face with that blood pressure machine, it was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. And that's saying something in this sport.

I'm still dealing with the effects of being hit with that steel object today.

I've got bad headaches. I sometimes have double vision.

But, I want the Sheik to know this. I'm coming for you, Sheik. And I won't stop until I get my hands on you and tear you apart. I intend to maim you.

I want it known that I have been talking to AWA officials Jim Crockett, Bill Watts and Jerry Jarrett about, not a grudge match with you, but rather a revenge match against you. I really want you to suffer.

The match will need to be held under rules where you can't escape, Sheik. Everybody knows that deep down the Sheik is a coward. He hides behind his his pet beast Kokina and thinks he's safe.

Well, Sheik, you're not safe. I want you looking over your shoulder everywhere you go. I want you wondering if Don Muraco might be waiting to pounce on you. I don't want you to sleep. I don't want you to eat. I want vengeance.

So, I'll see you around, camel breath. And the next time we meet... it will not be pleasant for you.

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson said that you have to wonder what type of match AWA officials will come up with for Muraco vs. Sheik.

Nelson also hyped Super Clash 5 on Sept. 16 in Milwaukee on PPV. Said tickets will go on sale on June 21.

Nelson then sent it back to the ring in Vegas.

Bob Orton won a squash match over Billy Anderson via pinfall with his superplex finisher.

Orton was mainly booed coming down the heel aisle.

Announcers discussed Orton challenging Wahoo McDaniel for the AWA World Championship since Orton won a Battle Royal recently where the winner got to pick the belt he'd challenge for.

Pic aired of the masked mystery man with the caption: NEXT... MYSTERY MAN!!!

Commercials/AWA on Tour

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd a replay where the masked mystery man put the Trooper out with an ether-soaked rag and cost him his match against Bob Orton a few weeks back. Nelson said the video of the attack would be followed by comments in a video sent to AWA hq.

# Trooper went over and checked on the ref. Masked mystery man came through the crowd and hopped the chain barricade and climbed in the ring. He had a cloth and spray can with him. Mystery man held the cloth up and sprayed it.

Mystery man snuck up behind Trooper and placed the rag over his mouth. Trooper struggling trying to escape the gas. Trooper weakened fairly quickly and passed out on the mat. Orton had recovered enough and crawled over and covered Trooper and the masked mystery man dragged the ref over to count. Mystery man escaped through the crowd.

Pic flipped.

VIDEO:

Mystery man was standing in an undisclosed location in front of a cement wall with mic in hand. He was wearing his mask, in street clothes, and holding a mic in one hand and a 2x4 in the other.

His voice was distorted in the video.

Masked Man: Trooper! Did you enjoy your nap?! Hahaha! How did it feel to have the life drain from your body when I put that ether soaked cloth over you face? I bet it did not feel good.

You'll never know when I appear, Trooper. I'm like a ghost.  Appear then disappear. You never know when I'll show up to punish you.

You see, Trooper, this is personal. We know each other and I have a vendetta against you. But, to keep things mysterious, I'm not telling
you our issue. I'll leave you to try and figure it out. The only thing I'll say is that we crossed paths a while ago.

I'm watching everything you do, Trooper. Every breath you take. Every move you make I'm watching you.

You have a chance to be a big star in this sport. But, I intend to short-circuit your rise. I'm looking to kill your career in this business.

Trooper, I want you working at a fast-food joint flipping burgers. And yes, Trooper, I would like fries with that. Hahahaha!

Sometimes, people meet only briefly in life. One person forgets the encounter and the other remembers it forever. You'll be happy to know I think about you all the time. I might even send you a Christmas card.

Trooper, we're nowhere near the end of this. We're just at the beginning. Enjoy the misery, pal.

END VIDEO

Pic aired of AWA World Champeen Wahoo McDaniel with the caption: NEXT... DREAM REALIZED!!!

Commercials

In-ring: Larry Nelson was standing center ring with mic in hand.

Nelson: Please welcome my guest! He is the new AWA World Champion... 'Chief' Wahoo McDaniel!

Nice pop from the crowd as Wahoo made his way down the face aisle. Wahoo had the belt around his waist.

Wahoo climbed in the ring and acknowledged the crowd.

Nelson: They love ya, champ! How does it feel to realize the dream of finally becoming the World Champion?!

Wahoo: I still think I'm dreaming, Larry. I had just about given up hope of ever being the World Champion. But then, I was given one more opportunity at WrestleRock and was finally able to grab the brass ring.

Nelson: Cactus Jack was one tough opponent.

Wahoo: He was, Larry. And being the former champion means he's entitled to a re-match. And he's gonna get that shot.

Nelson: Right now, you've got three wrestlers already looking to challenge for that title: Cactus Jack, Bob Orton and Pro Wrestling Heritage Champion Greg Valentine. That's a tough trio.

Wahoo: It is indeed. In this sport, when you win the big belt, everyone it seems is gunning for you. Everyone wants to be the World Champion. And I'm gonna have to bring my 'A' game if I want to remain the champion for a long time.

Fans cheered.

Wahoo: And I will be a fighting champion, you can take that to the bank. I won't run from any challenge. The people expect a lot from me and I do not intend to let them down.

Nelson: We know that you will be a... What;s this?!

Crowd mainly booed but many cheered as Cactus Jack made his way down the heel aisle and climbed up on the apron. Nelson walked over to Jack. Jack glaring at Wahoo.

Nelson: Cactus, do you have anything to say?

Jack just kept glaring at Wahoo. It was a glare of rage.

Nelson: Cactus?

Jack then made the thumb across the throat gesture and dropped off the apron and headed back up the hee; aisle to mainly boos.

Nelson: Wahoo?

Wahoo: It's clear Cactus is trying to play mind games, Larry. But, I've been in this business long enough to know that you can't be intimidated by anyone. If you're intimidated, that's setting you up for disaster. He can play all the mind games he wants. We'll see what happens when the bell rings.

Nelson: New World Champion Wahoo McDaniel, everybody!

Crowd cheered.

Pic aired of Nikita Koloff with the caption: NEXT... NIGHTMARE REALIZED!!!

Pic then flipped to a shadow outline of a wrestler with the caption: ALSO... HE'S COMING!!!

Commercials

Nikita Koloff vs. Barry Horowitz

Horowitz was in the ring and announced.

Crowd reaction rose in tenor when Nikita came down the face aisle.

Nelson: And his opponent! Formerly from the Soviet Union, he now makes his home in Greensboro, North Carolina... 'The Russian Nightmare' Nikita Koloff!

Crowd popped big time as Koloff stepped into the ring and briefly acknowledged the fans.

Koloff was wearing a black singlet with the name Nikita in red lettering down the back.

Koloff made quick work of Horowitz, disposing of him in just over two minutes via pinfall with his Russian sickle finisher as the crowd ate it up.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

Nelson: Nikita Koloff! Great to see you in action in the AWA!

Koloff: It is great to be here, Larry Nelson! God bless America!

Fans cheered.

Nelson: In the interview I did with you introducing you to the fans here in the AWA, you spoke of Col. Debeers hating this country and its people.

Koloff: I did. I see a lot of my old self in Col. DeBeers. In Soviet Union, we were taught to hate America, Americans and, how you say, everything they stood for.

I hated this country when I came here. But, over time, I realized this was the greatest country with the greatest people in the world.

More cheers.

Nikita: Col. DeBeers, the man who, how you say, run Sgt. Slaughter out of the AWA, is a man seething with hate. You hope that one day he realizes the error of his ways and embraces United States.

I want Debeers to know right now that I extend an olive leaf...

Nelson: Branch. Olive branch.

Koloff: Olive branch. Sorry, English  still rough.

Col. DeBeers, I extend an olive branch to you in spirit of brotherhood. I would like to talk with you about realizing the greatness of America. And I hope you will one day become an American patriot like I now am.

If you won't do that, then you should go home to South Africa.

Crowd pooped.

Nelson: Nikita Koloff, everybody!

In-Studio: Nelson discussed Nikita wanting to talk with Col. DeBeers about embracing truth, justice and the American way.

Nelson then said another new wrestler was on his way and that man is Barry Windham.

VIDEO:

Video opened with a shot of a vast Southwestern property with rolling hills, barns and a nice farm house.

Staning in the middle of an open range as Windham. He was wearing street clothes and had a mic.

Barry: I'm Barry Windham. And I'm coming to the AWA.

I'm excited to be a part of the new vision for this legendary promotion.

The AWA promises great wrestling action. And, the roster is second to none in the sport.

I've wrestled for the NWA, WWF and all over the world. But the AWA is the place to be now. Things are happening here. It's an exciting time to be a part of it.

Fans who think the AWA is a promotion on the decline have not been watching lately. It's wall-to-wall wrestling action with some of the best the sport has to offer.

I can't begin to tell you how excited I am to put on the boots and step in that ring and hear the roar of the crowd in the AWA.

The competition will be fierce and I'm looking forward to it.

This is Barry Windham. I'm coming to the AWA. Talk with you next time.

END VIDEO

Split-screen pic aired of Badd Co. & DDP and the Top Guns with the caption: NEXT... THE FINAL CHAPTER???!!!

Commercials

Promo aired for the AWA PPV Super Clash 5 - Sunday - Sept. 16 - Mecca Arena - Milwaukee, WI - Bell time: 8pm E/5pm P. 

TV MAIN EVENT: Badd Co. (w/ Mgr. Dallas Page) vs. The Top Guns

Badd Co. and DDP made their way down the heel aisle to strong boos to the strains of Bad Company by the band of the same name.

Top Guns came flying down the face aisle to the song Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins.

Guns hit the ring running and charged right at Tanaka and Diamond and the two teams started brawling. The two teams were slugging it out when Rice and Dukes gained the upper hand and they whipped Tanaka and Diamond into each other. The pair crashed into one another with a violent thud and crashed to the mat. Tanaka rolled out of the ring and crashed to the floor. Diamond up and Rice hit him with a dropkick. Diamond crashed to the mat and quickly rolled out of the ring as the fans cheered. Tanaka and Diamond made it over to their manager DDP. DDP started talking strategy with his men as a floor camera closed in on them.

DDP picked up on a mic.

DDP: Get outta here!

Cameraman backed away.

After talking with DDP, Tanaka and Diamond made their way up on the apron. The two teams decided which man would start for their teams.

Ref called for the bell.

Tanaka and Rice started the match for their teams. The two men circled one another and engaged in a collar-and-elbow tie-up and Tanaka gained the advantage and maneuvered behind Rice and caught Rice in a hammerlock. Tanaka cinched up on the hold. Rice countered with an elbow strike to the side of Tanaka's head and maneuvered behind Tanaka and caught Tanaka in a hammerlock and cranked up on the hold. Tanaka in pain. Rice then released the hold, grabbed Tanaka around the waist and rode Tanaka to the mat and then maneuvered around and caught Tanaka in a front facelock. The pair slowly made it to their feet with Tanaka still locked in the hold. Tanaka was able to drive Rice against the ropes and the ref ordered a break. Break was clean and Tanaka then stunned Rice with a knee to the gut. Tanaka went to whip Rice into the ropes but Rice reversed and caught Tanaka coming off with a leg dive takedown. Rice rolled back and messed up Tanaka's hair. Both men up and Rice caught Tanaka with a dropkick. Tanaka crashed to the mat. Tanaka on his knees and Rice, from behind, caught Tanaka under the chin and did the Ric Flair punches to the side of the head. Rice snapped up Tanaka and caught Tanaka in another side headlock against the ropes. Rice didn't see Diamond slap Tanaka's back for the tag. Tanaka shoved Rice off and Rice hit the ropes and Tanaka dived down and was greeted with a brutal clotheline by Diamond. Some in the crowd cheered. Rice crashed to the mat. Diamond put the boots to  Rice. Diamond snapped up Rice and whipped Rice into the corner and charged in and blasted Rice with a running shoulder block to the gut. Diamond pulled Rice out of the corner and nailed Rice with a snap suplex. Diamond for the cover. 1...2... Rice kicked out. Crowd started urging on Rice. DDP liked what he was seeing. Diamond snapped Rice up and went over and tagged in Tanaka. Tanaka stuck his knee through the top and middle rope and Diamond slammed Rice into Tanaka's knee. Rice fell back in the corner of Badd Co. Tanaka in and worked Rice over with a series of backhand strikes to the side of the head. Diamond got in a cheap shot. Dukes hit the ring to save his partner but the ref intercepted him. As Dukes and the ref had words as the ref walked Dukes back to his corner. Diamond strangled Rice with the tag rope. Dukes back out on the apron and the strangling party ended as the ref turned around. Tanaka pulled Rice out of the corner, whipped Rice into the ropes and caught Rice coming off with a backhand chop to the face. Rice crashed to the mat. Tanaka stomped away on Rice. Tanaka snapped Rice up, whipped Rice into the ropes and looked to clothesline Rice coming off but Rice ducked the move and came back and caught Tanaka with a flying bodypress for the pin. 1...2... Tanaka kicked out. Both men down. ref counting. Rice to his feet first and went to tag in Dukes but Tanaka lunged over and grabbed Rice around the ankle. Rice wriggled free and tagged in Dukes to a huge pop from the crowd. Dukes in and Tanaka up and Dukes tore into Tanaka with punches. Dukes whipped Tanaka into the ropes and caught Tanaka coming off with a press slam. Tanaka up and Dukes caught Tanaka with more punches that stunned Tanaka. Diamond hit the ring and Dukes stunned Diamond with a punch, grabbed the pair and slammed their noggins together. Tanaka and Diamond on stagger street to the delight of the crowd. Rice hit the ring and dropped Diamond with a clothesline. Diamond rolled out on the apron. Tanaka crashed to the mat in the ring.

Dukes waiting for Tanaka to get up. Dukes ran and hit the ropes and and DDP hit Dukes in the back with the top of his cane. Dukes went down in the ring. Ref reprimanded DDP and DDP threw up his hands suggesting he did nothing. Tanaka up as Dukes was getting up and Tanaka hit Dukes with a jumping headbutt that sent Dukes crashing to the mat. Tanaka tagged in Diamond. Dukes up and Diamond caught Dukes with a kick to the gut followed by a gutwrench suplex followed by an elbow smash to the chest. Diamond for the cover. 1...2... Dukes kicked out. Crowd cheered. Diamond snapped Dukes up and went for a suplex but Dukes twice blocked the move and suplexed Diamond to the mat. Both men down. Ref counting. Both men up and engaged in a deliberate punch exchange that Dukes got the better of. Dukes whipped Diamond into the corner. Dukes moved in with a series of elbow strikes to the side of Diamond's head. Diamond on stagger street. Dukes whipped Diamond into the opposite buckles and charged in and nailed Diamond with a running clothesline. Diamond limp in the corner. Dukes tagged in Rice. Rice came in with a head and body punch barrage. Diamond staggered out of the corner. Rice grabbed Diamond, whipped Diamond into the ropes and caught Diamond coming off with a dropkick. Diamond crashed to the mat. Diamond up and Rice caught him with a second dropkick with the same result. Rice for the cover. 1...2...3! NO! Tanaka hit the ring and stomped Rice in the back of the head to break up the pin try. Ref ordered Tanaka back to his corner as Dukes hit the ring. Ref turned and ordered Dukes back to his corner. With Rice and the ref distracted arguing with one another, Tanaka slapped his hands together like a tag had been made. Diamond and Dukes up and Diamond hit Dukes with a low blow. Dukes holding his goods. Ref turned back to the action as Tanaka caught Dukes in a bearhug. Ref started counting on Diamond as Diamond hit the ropes and came off with a lariat. DDP popped at ringside. Dukes down. Tanaka for the cover. 1...2... Rice hit the ring and stomped Tanaka in the back of the head to break up the pin. Tanaka snapped Dukes up and nailed Dukes with a German suplex. Crowd urging on Dukes. Dukes hurting. Tanaka snapped Dukes up and drove Dukes into his team's corner. Tanaka tagged in Diamond. Tanaka got a few shots in before leaving the ring. Diamond hit Dukes with a series shoulder blocks to the gut and then whipped Dukes into the opposite corner. Diamond charged in and looked to hit another running shoulder block on Dukes but Dukes moved and Diamond slammed shoulder-first into the post. Crowd cheered. Diamond slowly separated himself from the post, turned and was greet by a series of punches from Dukes.

Pedicino: This match has been a dogfight from start to finish!

Dukes grabbed Diamond, whipped Diamond into the ropes and speared Diamond coming off. Crowd went into orbit. Dukes waiting for Diamond to get up. Diamond up, Dukes ran and hit the ropes and came off with a running clothesline but Tanaka stepped in and shoved Diamond out of the way and Dukes popped Tanaka with a running clothesline. Tanaka crashed to the mat. Dukes, in all the confusion , covered Diamond for the pin. Ref patted Dukes on the back signaling he was pinning the illegal man in the ring. Dukes up and Diamond clubbed Dukes from behind. Diamond snapped Dukes up and and hoisted Dukes up for a suplex but dropped Dukes across the top rope. Dukes crashed to the mat in the ring. Diamond tagged in Tanaka. The two stomped away on Dukes. Ref counting. Rice hit the ring to save Dukes but the ref intercepted him and ordered Rice back to his corner. As Rice argued with the ref, DDP caught the downed Dukes with a top of his cane shot to the back of the head. Rice back out on the apron. Ref turned and Diamond back to his corner. Ref ordered Tanaka to stand back as Dukes slowly made it to his feet. Tanaka popped Dukes with a roundhouse kick to the side of the head. Dukes fell back against the ropes. Tanaka grabbed Dukes, whipped Dukes into the ropes and looked to catch Dukes coming off with a backdrop but Dukes leapfrogged Tanaka, lunged over and tagged in Rice to the delight of the crowd. Rice came in a house of fire and tore into Tanaka with punches. Rice whipped Tanaka into the ropes and caught Tanaka coming off with a back elbow to the chest Tanaka crashed to the mat and rolled out on the apron. An enraged Rice ignored the ref and went over and pulled Tanaka to his feet and suplexed Tanaka back into the ring. Rice ran, hit the ropes and came off with a senton on Tanaka. Rice for the cover. 1...2... Diamond hit the ring and dived down with a clubbing forearm on Rice to break up the pin try. Dukes hit the ring and the ref intercepted him and ordered him back to his corner. Once again, Dukes and the ref had words. Diamond did the fake slap his own hands together tag behind the ref's back. Fans went ballistic. Diamond stepped into the ring and stomped away on Rice. Diamond dragged Rice face-first across the mat. Diamond picked up Rice and bodyslammed Rice. Diamond went out on the apron and mounted the top buckle and came off with a frog splash but Rice rolled out of the way and Diamond crashed to the mat. Crowd popped. DDP jumped up on the apron and started arguing with the ref. Dukes came over and grabbed DDP and started shaking him. Ref distracted with Dukes and DDP trying to regain control of the match. Diamond recovered and clubbed Dukes from behind. DDP still on the apron and grabbed the ref. Tanaka came in and cheap-shotted Rice and threw Rice over the top rope down to the floor behind the ref's back. Crowd beside itself. Tanaka and Diamond worked over Dukes behind the ref's back. The pair whipped Dukes into the ropes and caught Dukes coming off with a double clothesline. Dukes down and out. Tanaka went over to where DDP and the ref were. Diamond continued assaulting Dukes as Rice recovered, climbed into the ring and grabbed Tanaka and slammed Tanaka into DDP and DDP crashed to the apron and then the floor as the crowd roared. Rice threw Tanaka out of the ring. Diamond, facing the corner, tried to hoist Dukes up for a piledriver but Dukes blocked the move. As Diamond tried again, Rice climbed out of the ring on the apron and quickly climbed to the top rope as Diamond tried to hoist Dukes up once again but Dukes blocked the try again. Rice came off the top rope with a flying bodypress on Diamond for the pin. Ref, who had been looking at the car crash on the floor, turned and saw Rice pinning Diamond. Ref counted. 1...2...3! Crowd popped as the ref called for the bell.

Rice up and Dukes grabbed him and the pair briefly celebrated in the ring. Ref raised both men's hand in victory to the delight of the crowd. Shot of DDP and Tanaka recovering on the floor. Rice and Dukes stood tall in the ring as the program ended.

Pedicino: What a match!

Dundee: Speak for yourself, Joe! The Top Guns should have been disqualified for assaulting a manager!

Pedicino: Badd Company cheated like a stockbroker on Wall Street!

Dundee: Badd Company cheated?! It's all in the eye of the beholder, mate!

Pedicino: Get outta here!

Dundee: Since the show's over, I will! Go to the casino, play roulette, smoke, drink and pick up a honey!

Pedicino (sarcastically): You're a great role model for America's youth!

Dundee: Thanks for noticing, Joe! Always happy to help the youth!

WINNER: Top Guns - Pinfall - 13:23 (This match would have been edited for TV time.)

Time to put this feud to bed!

END PROGRAM

images.jpg.3f5918d0fad838a9b0cee41b757cffd4.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
image.png.e6c54575efca5878596629f14cd00450.png.35fc0e9647641c20a881d87e7d58a706.png.cb8de151b07ebd3d-a042f0d03973fc9d139435.png.9814cc859f1814484d93bdc8458d5b55.png.8fd657cc005c89e88d89d7eb420f39f0.png

(3rd Taping)

Show Intro

TV MAIN EVENT - AWA vs. PORTLAND WRESTLING: Greg Gagne vs. Rip Oliver

Comments from Don Muraco about the vicious attack he suffered at the hands of Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey after his match with Kokina at WrestleRock
Comments from the Masked Mystery Man after he put Trooper to sleep with an ether-soaked rag costing Trooper his match against Bob Orton

Jonnie Stewart vs. Jake Milliman

Candi Divine vs. Heidi Lee Morgan

Comments from a new wrestler coming to the AWA

And more!

Nelson sent it to the ring in Rockford.

Akio Sato & Ninja Go* vs. Tommy Jammer & Jerry Allen

Go and Sato came down the heel aisle to modest boos.

Jammer and Allen came down the face aisle to little reaction.

Jammer and Allen gave Sato and the mysterious Go a battle before Go pinned Allen with a double underhook suplex into a bridgeout - 4:09

(* Ninja Go, aka, Steve Olsonoski, better known as Steve O.)

Pic aired of Don Muraco with the caption: NEXT... MURACO WANTS THE SHEIK!!!

Commercials

In-studio: Nelson intro'd comments from Muraco regarding the vicious attack on him by Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey after Muraco's match with Kokina at WrestleRock.

VIDEO:

# Muraco was standing in front of the AWA logo in street clothes with mic in hand. He was wearing sunglasses and had a large white bandage on the left side of his face.

Muraco: You see this bandage. I'm wearing courtesy of Kokina's manager Sheik Adnan El-Kaissey.

When the Sheik hit me in the side of the face with that blood pressure machine, it was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. And that's saying something in this sport.

I'm still dealing with the effects of being hit with that steel object today.
I've got bad headaches. I sometimes have double vision.

But, I want the Sheik to know this. I'm coming for you, Sheik. And I won't stop until I get my hands on you and tear you apart. I intend to maim you.

I want it known that I have been talking to AWA officials Jim Crockett, Bill Watts and Jerry Jarrett about, not a grudge match with you, but rather a revenge match against you. I really want you to suffer.

The match will need to be held under rules where you can't escape, Sheik. Everybody knows that deep down the Sheik is a coward. He hides behind his his pet beast Kokina and thinks he's safe.

Well, Sheik, you're not safe. I want you looking over your shoulder everywhere you go. I want you wondering if Don Muraco might be waiting to pounce on you. I don't want you to sleep. I don't want you to eat. I want vengeance.

So, I'll see you around, camel breath. And the next time we meet... it will not be pleasant for you.

END VIDEO

In-Studio: Nelson said that you have to wonder what type of match AWA officials will come up with for Muraco vs. Sheik.

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... WOMAN WAR!!!

Candi Divine vs. Heidi Lee Morgan

Morgan came down the face aisle to a decent amount of cheers.

Morgan slapped hands with fans on the way to the ring, Once in the ring, Morgan acknowledged the fans.

Divine (a 'tweener) came down the heel aisle to a mixed crowd reaction.

Morgan started out fast before Divine fought her way back into the short but fast-paced battle.

In the end, Candi's experience proved too much and she made Morgan submit to the Boston Crab - 3:16

In-studio: Nelson said the women's division was heating up in the new era AWA. Hyped newcomers Reggie Bennett and Tina Moretti and said champ Mimi better be looking over her shoulder as her days as champ could be numbered.

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... NEW FACE IN THE AWA!!!

Commercials

In-studio: Nelson intro's video of the newest wrestler to joining the AWA Barry Windham.

VIDEO:

Video opened with a shot of a vast Southwestern property with rolling hills, barns and a nice farm house.

Staning in the middle of an open range was Windham. He was wearing street clothes and had a mic.

Barry: I'm Barry Windham. And I'm coming to the AWA.

I'm excited to be a part of the new vision for this legendary promotion.

The AWA promises great wrestling action. And, the roster is second to none in the sport.

I've wrestled for the NWA, WWF and all over the world. But, the AWA is the place to be now. Things are happening here. It's an exciting time to be a part of it.

Fans who think the AWA is a promotion on the decline have not been watching lately. It's wall-to-wall wrestling action with some of the best the sport has to offer.

I can't begin to tell you how excited I am to put on the boots and step in that ring and hear the roar of the crowd in the AWA.

The competition will be fierce and I'm looking forward to it.

This is Barry Windham. I'm coming to the AWA. Talk with you next time.

END VIDEO

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... STEWART VS. 2%!!!

Jonnie Stewart vs. Jake Milliman

Stewart came down the heel aisle to strong boos.

Once in the ring, Stewart strutted around to boos.

Milliman came down the face aisle to a solid crowd reax.

Once in the ring, Milliman tore off his '2% Forever' t-shirt and was preparing to throw it into the crowd when Stewart pounced on him from behind.

Ref called for the bell.

Jake dropped the shirt in the ring and Stewart hammered away on Jake and then picked up the t-shirt and started choking Jake with it. Ref counting. Stewart broke the illegal move at the ref's count of 4 and tossed the shirt out of the ring.

Stewart dominated early but Jake fought his way back into the match and it became a see-saw affair. A couple of close call finishes. Stewart used a couple of shortcuts during the match to gain the advantage.

End of the match saw Stewart in control. Stewart nailed Jake with a sidebreaker across the knee and then went out on the apron and mounted the top buckle. Stewart turned and started yelling at booing fans. This allowed Jake time to recover, get up and grab Stewart and slam Stewart off the top rope to the delight of the crowd. Stewart up and Jake moved in and Stewart went to punch Jake but Jake blocked the punch try and fired away on Stewart with punches. Jake whipped Stewart into the ropes and caught Stewart coming off with a powerslam. Crowd popped. Stewart rolled over on his side and Jake reached down to grab Jake but Stewart caught Jake with an eye poke and rolled Jake up in a small package for the pin. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the fans booed. Stewart up and the ref raised his hand in victory.

Stewart left the ring and was greeted by Bischoff, who had mic in hand.

Bischoff: Jonnie Stewart...

Stewart: The 'Wrestler of the '90s is now on a roll! It won't be long before there's gold around this gorgeous waist!

Crowd booed as Stewart walked off.

WINNER: Stewart - Pinfall - 5:26

Video aired showing the Masked Mystery Man putting Trooper out with an ether-soaked rag with the caption: NEXT... MYSTERY MAN SPEAKS!!!

In-Studio: Nelson intro'd a replay where the Masked Mystery Man put the Trooper out with an ether-soaked rag and cost him his match against Bob Orton a few weeks back. Nelson said the video of the attack would be followed by comments in a video sent to AWA hq.

# Trooper went over and checked on the ref. Masked mystery man came through the crowd and hopped the chain barricade and climbed in the ring. He had a cloth and spray can with him. Mystery man held the cloth up and sprayed it.

Mystery man snuck up behind Trooper and placed the rag over his mouth. Trooper struggling trying to escape the gas. Trooper weakened fairly quickly and passed out on the mat. Orton had recovered enough and crawled over and covered Trooper and the masked mystery man dragged the ref over to count. Mystery man escaped through the crowd.

Pic flipped.

VIDEO:

Mystery man was standing in an undisclosed location in front of a cement wall with mic in hand. He was wearing his mask, in street clothes, and holding a mic in one hand and a 2x4 in the other.

His voice was distorted in the video.

Masked Man: Trooper! Did you enjoy your nap?! Hahaha! How did it feel to have the life drain from your body when I put that ether soaked cloth over you face? I bet it did not feel good.

You'll never know when I appear, Trooper. I'm like a ghost.  appear then disappear. You never know when I'll show up to punish you.

You see, Trooper, this is personal. We know each other and I have a vendetta against you. But, to keep things mysterious, I'm not telling you our issue. I'll leave you to try and figure it out. The only thing I'll say is that we crossed paths a while ago.

I'm watching everything you do, Trooper. Every breath you take. Every move you make I'm watching you.

You have a chance to be a big star in this sport. But, I intend to short-circuit your rise. I'm looking to kill your career in this business.

Trooper, I want you working at a fast-food joint flipping burgers. And yes, Trooper, I would like fries with that. Hahahaha!

Sometimes, people meet only briefly in life. One person forgets the encounter and the other remembers it forever. You'll be happy to know I think about you all the time. I might even send you a Christmas card.

Trooper, we're nowhere near the end of this. We're just at the beginning. Enjoy the misery, pal.

END VIDEO

In-studio: Nelson discussed the situation between Trooper and the Mystery Man and wondered what Trooper could have done to cause the man to cause him to target Trooper.

Pic aired of the AWA logo with the caption: NEXT... AWA VS. PACIFIC NORTHWEST!!!

Commercials

TV MAIN EVENT: Greg gagne vs. Rip Oliver (AWA VS. PACIFIC NORTHWEST)

Oliver made his way down the heel aisle to a modest crowd reaction.

Once in the ring, Oliver demanded the mic from Larry nelson and got it.

Rip: You know, I've never been to Rockford before. And now I can see why!

Crowd booed.

Rip: This place is dullsville. Portland, Oregon is a much, much better place. And our women look like women. I never met a woman named Maude before until I stopped for gas here.

Maude was a beautiful woman. If you like your women to look like hogs. But then I noticed all the women in Rockford looked like Maude. Rockford must be the inbred capitol of America.

More boos.

Rip: And you people stink! You really reek! You need to bathe, man. I saw a huge public fountain on the outskirts of town. You all should go to the store, by up all the soap, pour it in the fountain and hop in and wash yourselves and your clothes at the same time!

Booing a little louder.

Rip: Do they have running water in the homes here in Rockford? Or do you all just take giant straws and siphon water off from the next county? Good hygiene is important. So, there's a lesson brought to you straight from the Pacific Northwest. We believe in cleanliness up there.

Rip tossed the mic back to Nelson.

Greg Gagne made his way down the face aisle to a decent response.

Ref called for the bell.

The two men came out of their corners and circled one another and engaged in a collar-and-elbow tie-up. After a brief struggle, Oliver drove Gagne into the corner to force a break. Break was clean. The two men locked up once again and Rip gained the advantage and caught Gagne in a side headlock and Gagne countered after a brief struggle to free himself from the hold with a belly-to-back suplex. Both men up and Gagne dropkicked Rip into the corner. Gagne charged in and caught Rip with a monkey flip out of the corner. Rip up and charged at Gagne and Gagne caught Rip with an arm drag. Rip up and the two locked up in a double overhead wristlock. The two struggled for the advantage and Rip grabbed the back of Greg's hair and yanked  Gagne down to the mat. Rip stomped Gagne in the head. Rip snapped Gagne up and whipped Gagne into the ropes and looked to catch Gagne coming off with a hip toss but Gagne reversed and caught Rip with a hip toss. Rip up and Gagne caught Rip with a flying headscissors takedown. Gagne released the hold and snapped Rip up and slammed Rip's head into the top buckle. Rip staggered out of the corner by the ropes. Gagne caught Rip with some punches, whipped Rip into the ropes and caught Rip coming off with a flying dropkick. Rip crashed to the mat. Gagne for the cover. 1... Rip kicked out. Gagne grabbed Rip as Rip was getting to his feet and whipped Rip into the ropes and caught Rip coming off with a high backdrop. Rip crashed to the mat as the fans cheered. Gagne moved in and grabbed Rip but Rip countered by pulling Gagne's legs out from under him and Gagne crashed to the mat. Rip for the cover. 1... Rip placed his feet on the middle rope for leverage. ...2... Gagne got a shoulder up. Rip took his feet off the middle rope before the ref could see it and went to pin Gagne again. 1... Rip again placed his feet on the middle rope for leverage. ...2...thr... Ref looked over and saw Rip's feet on the middle rope and patted Rip on the back. Rip got up thinking he'd won and Rip started strutting around the ring with his fists in the air thinking. Ref ripped Rip's arm down and waved off the pin. As Rip had words with the ref, Greg came up behind Rip and ran Rip into the ropes and a roll-up for the pin. 1...2... Rip kicked Greg off. Both men to their feet and Rip caught Greg with a kick to the gut and then caught Gagne with some punches. Rip whipped Gagne into the ropes and caught Gagne coming off with a clothesline. Gagne crashed to the mat. Rip then locked Gagne ion a rear chinlock. Gagne in pain but not submitting. Rip up and drove an elbow into the top of Gagne's head. Rip snapped Gagne up and whipped Gagne into the ropes and looked to clothesline Gagne but Gagne ducked the clothesline and came back with a flying  bodypress. Rip crashed to the mat. Gagne for the cover. 1...2... Rip kicked out. Gagne started to pull Rip up and Rip caught Gagne with a series of gut punches and clubbed Gagne in the back with a forearm. Rip picked up Gagne and bodyslammed Gagane. Rip grabbed Gagne's legs and flipped over on top of Gagne for the pin. 1...2... Gagne bridged out and caught Rip in backslide for the pin. 1...2...3! NO! Rip kicked out before the ref's hand hit the mat a third time. Crowd groaned. Both men up and Rip swung wildly at Gagne and missed and Gagne maneuvered around and caught Rip in the Gagne Sleeper (TM). Rip struggling to free himself from the hold. Rip started to fade. In desperation, Rip charged into the corner, dropped down and Gagne's head slammed into the top buckle. Rip freed from the hold. Gagne turned and walked into a series of punches to the side of the ribs from Rip. Rip went to whip Gagne into the ropes but Gagne reversed and caught Rip coming off with an arm drag. Rip up and Gagne went to hit Rip with a dropkick but Rip evaded the move and Gagne crashed to the mat. Rip put the boots to Gagne. Rip snapped Greg up, hoisted Greg over his shoulder and went to nail Gagne with a running shoulderbreaker but Gagne wriggled free, dropped down behind Rip and shoved Rip forward. Rip crashed front-first into the buckles. Crowd cheered. Rip extricated himself from the buckles and walked right into a bodyslam from Gagne. Gagne went out on the apron and mounted the top buckle and came off with a knee drop but Oliver rolled out of the way and Gagne crashed to the mat. Both men down. Ref counting. Both men made it to their feet. Gagne charged at Rip with a flying bodypress but Rip caught Gagne, hoisted Gagne over his shoulder and blasted Gagne with a running shoulderbreaker across the knee. Rip for the cover. 1...2...3! Ref called for the bell as the crowd booed. Rip to his feet and the ref raised his hand in victory.

Rip left the ring and was met by Mr. Microphone Eric Bischoff.

Rip: I just have one thing to say! This was a victory for the Pacific Northwest!

More boos as the program ended.

WINNER: Oliver - Pinfall - 7:16

END PROGRAM

IS THERE AN UNDECLARED INVASION/WAR IN THE AWA???!!!

Portland_wrestling_credits.webp.4bf9745d90c5d7efbce37022dfc02910.webp
Edited by piperrulz
  • Like 2