AWA 1989: A Financial Savior Is (Badly) Needed

AWA HQ - ST. LOUIS PARK, MN

EARLY FALL 1989

(Some of the stuff in these next few non-wrestling posts may seem a little out of whack timeline-wise. Please just roll with it.)

Verne Gagne was sitting at his doing some work when son Greg came barging through the door. Greg then started pacing around.

Verne: You know I like people to knock first!

Greg: Next time.

Serious question, dad.

Verne: Shoot.

Greg: I was wondering how much you're paying the Faulous Thunderbirds to appear at Super Clash?

Verne: Well...$12,000.

Greg was apoplectic.

Greg: $12 thou... Dad! We're drowning in a sea of red ink and you go out and do this?!

Verne: I thought adding a rock music act would add to ticket sales and put more eyeballs on Super Clash on ESPN.

Greg: So, how many more tickets will be sold because you're bringing in the Fabulous Thunderbirds?

Verne: I really don't know, son.

Greg: I'll tell you how many, dad. We're gonna sell very few tickets to fans of the Fabulous Thunderbirds. Them appearing on a wrestling show will mean almost nothing money-wise.

Greg shook his head in disbelief.

Greg: How many songs are they playing in their set?

Verne: I told their manager that we want a three song mini-concert.

Greg: That's $4 grand a song! Wonderful! Just f*ckin' wonderful!

Verne: Now you listen to me! I did what I felt I had to do for the show!

Greg: Paying them will also cut into any profit we makle! And it could, depending on the attendance, affect our ability to pay the boys fairly.

Verne: As of right now, where are we in tickets sales?

Greg: We've just crossed the 5,000 tickets sold threshold.

Verne: That's good news.

Greg: And $12 grand is gonna be yanked right off the top for a music act we don't need.

Verne: Actually, we cut a deal. I'm paying them $6,000 up front and the other $6 thousand in two $3,000 dollar installments on future dates.

Greg: Bet you could have gotten them cheaper if you really tried.

Verne: They wanted $15. I haggled them down to $12.

Look, it will be a good addition to the show. Give fans a breather from the wrestling.

Greg: Have you made up your mind about a dark match?

Verne: Yes. It's gonna be a non-title affair between The Destruction Crew and Ken Patera and Brad Rheingans with Patera and Rheingans going over.

Greg: The boys are gonna be upset about the deal cut with the Thunderbirds. Could really affect morale.

You need to face it, dad! This promotion is living on borrowed time!

And if we can't make a sale then you're most likely gonna go bust!

And yet you signed the Fabulous Thunderbirds to do a mini-concert on the show!

Verne: Dammit, Greg! I'm tired of this!

I made a decision and that's final! I think the Thunderbirds will add something to the show!

Greg: Oh! And one more thing before I go! ESPN is allotting us 15 minutes of overrun time if we need it. That would give us 103 minutes of actual airtime.

Verne: Great, son. NOW GET OUT!

Greg quickly walked out of the room and slammed the door behind him so hard that the pictures shook on Verne's office walls.

Verne sat in silence for a moment.

Verne (in a low voice): I know I made the right decision.

Did he???

STAY TUNED...

Still time to get predictions in on Super Clash 4!!!

To determine the undisputed AWA World Champion: Jerry Lawler (AWA WC) vs. Sgt. Slaughter (AWA WC)

Steel cage Match (Special Ref: Nick Bockwinkel): Greg Gagne vs. Larry Zbyszko

AWA Debut Match: Greg Valentine vs. Baron Von Raschke

This is War! Col. DeBeers vs. Tom Zenk

Can he stay undefeated?: Sam Houston (Perfect in the AWA) vs. Manny Fernandez

If I have posted already for this match. You can use these one as the official one and ignore what was posted before.

To determine the undisputed AWA World Champion: Jerry Lawler (AWA WC) vs. Sgt. Slaughter (AWA WC)

EARLY FALL 1989

A few days after Greg's spat with dad over bringing in the Fabulous Thunderbirds for $12 grand to do a mini-concert at Super Clash, the heat had died down between them.

Greg, Verne and TV producer Al DeRusha sat in the studio where the promos were taped.

They were sitting aorund a small, round table. Verne was drinking Tab; Greg was drinking coffee and Al was drinking a Coke.

Verne: Son, what's the latest on ticket sales for Super Clash?

Greg: Called the Mecca box office this morning and we've now sold over 5,300 tickets to Super Clash.

Verne: That's great news. Seems like there's a late surge of fans buying tickets.

Greg: Looks that way. Seems they like the card we're giving them for the show.

Verne: People really want to see a conclusion to the Lawler-Sarge affair.

Al: Agreed. Fans also like cage matches which promise blood.

Verne: With the plans I have in mind, the fans will get their money's worth in that area.

This will be a show that definitely differentiates us from the WWF.

I'm also confident in a strong number of TV viewers tuning in.

Greg: Looks like we're having a bit of a promotional revival here since the Sarge-Lawler program started.

Verne: The question becomes: can we maintain the momentum after Lawler-Sarge is settled at Super Clash 4?

Al: I think that will be answered very quickly.

Verne: You talking about ticket sales?

Al: Yes. We'll see if things continue along at the level they have been in the last few months or if we're back to normal starting October 19th.

Verne: Well, we've got Greg Valentine and Stan Hansen coming in. I believe that's gonna help. Got big plans for Valentine as a top heel.

Greg: Been meaning to ask: what's the plan for Kokina moving forward? I mean, he's only had one match on TV so far and his second will be airing on ESPN after Super Clash.

Verne: Well, he's simply being booked as a monster heel...a destroyer. We're gonna start the gimmick of having him bring a stretcher to ringside and when he crushes his opponents in squashes, they'll be taken off on a stretcher.

Greg: How long until Blackwell and Kokina collide?

Verne: Originally, my plan was that was to be Kokina's first match in the AWA. Then I thought I'd put the match on Super Clash. But finally decided on having Kokina win some squashes in brutal fashion and then have Blackwell and Kokina collide.

Al: And they will collide, believe me!

The three men laughed.

Greg: You chose to have Sam Houston wrestle Manny Fernandez on the show instead of, say, Badd Company vs. the Top Guns or a World Tag Team Title match between the Destruction Crew and Patera and Rheingans. It just seems like the Houston match was more suited to our weekly ESPN show rather than Super Clash 4.

Verne: I wanted to have Sam face a name wrestler and thought putting him on the show would be good exposure for him.

We talked about this a few days ago, Greg, the Destruction Crew are facing Patera and Rheingans in a non-title dark match with Patera and Rheingans going over.

We'll have the two teams sqaure off on our weekly ESPN show shortly in a non-title tilt with the same result as the dark match. However, the title matches between the two teams will take place only at the houses and not on TV.

And I never seriously considered putting a women's title match on the show.

Al: What about the talks with John and Deborah?

Verne: Greg and I will be meeting them for breakfast on the morning of Super Clash.

Al: Think you'll be able to work out a deal over eggs and bacon? You going to Denny's?

Verne chuckled.

Verne: I was thinking something more upscale like McDonald's. Hash it out over Egg Mcmuffins and shitty coffee.

More light-hearted laughter like at the end of a 50's TV sitcom.

Greg: I think we're meeting them at the Pfister Hotel for breakfast.

Al: Oh! Fancy! Who's paying?

Verne: I will be. They told me they're staying there. We'll go to them.

Greg (sighs): We'll see how it goes. I'm hoping we can at least get close to making a deal for the promotion.

Verne: Only thing we can do is...talk.

But things are going a lot better now business-wise. And that's good if we're gonna sell.

Greg: Remember, dad. They also want to bring on a third partner or they might walk away from any deal.

Verne: If we're lucky, they can surprise us with a third party.

But something was happening...

Unbeknownst to Verne and the gang, a potential new buyer on the east coast was about to enter the picture. One who already had a lot of experience in the wrestling business.

Yet another twist in this grand saga...

STAY TUNED...

But something was happening...

Unbeknownst to Verne and the gang, a potential new buyer on the east coast was about to enter the picture. One who already had a lot of experience in the wrestling business.

Yet another twist in this grand saga...

This is gonna get interesting now. Will Debbie and John's third partner be someone else from the entertainment industry, or will it be a money man (or woman) with interests in other areas?

Time will tell... ;)

EARLY FALL 1989

CHARLOTTE, NC*

Jim Crockett, Jr. took over Jim Crockett, Sr.'s wrestling promotion after the passing 'Big Jim' in 1973 at the age of 63. Crockett Sr. was known as 'Big Jim' because he would have killed a bunch of children in one fell swoop had he fallen on them at Chuck E. Cheese.

John Ringley, husband of Jim, Jr. and David's sister Frances, had taken over more reponsibility running the promotion and was expected to completely take over as boss when the elder Crockett passed on.

But plans didn't work out that way...

Ringley was busted dipping his pen in the ink well of a former beauty queen and was kicked to the curb by Frances and booted from Jim Crockett Promotions by Jim, Sr.'s four children.

It's said that a coin toss between David and Jim, Jr. decided which brother would be the promoter. Jim, Jr. obviously won.

The Crockett's ran MId-Atlantic Championship Wrestling from 1973 through the end of 1988. They were forced to sell because of the sea of debt they'd gotten themselves into with the purchase of other promotions and TV deals; lavish spending on offices in Dallas, TX; a private jet, etc. These debts could have largely been wiped out had it not been for Vince's power-play in 1987. Crockett was looking to run his first-ever PPV on Thanksgiving (Starrcade '87). Vince then decided he was gonna run a PPV on Thanksgiving as well (Survivor Series).

At first, Crockett believed that running his PPV in the afternoon on cable systems around the country would alleviate the problem and the WWF could run their crap-fest at night,

But that didn't happen...

Vince dropped the hammer and told cable operators that if they ran Starrcade '87, they'd lose the rights to broadcast Wrestlemania the next year. (If you saw WM4 then you know the cable companies should have run Starrcade the year before. WM4 also sucked!) All but five cable companies buckled to Vince's demand.

The result was a disaster for Crockett and set the wheels in motion to being bought out one year later by the Turner empire. The Crockett's were paid an estimated $9 million for the NWA/WCW.

Even though both Jim, Jr. and David were retained in different capacities with the promotion under the Turner banner, they both were looking to get back into the game the way they used to be.

Present day...

David Crockett had gotten word from a couple of sources that Verne Gagne was looking to sell the AWA. He'd also heard that Deborah Harry of Blondie fame and Hollywood director John Waters were interested in buying the promotion.

David quickly got in touch with his brother and told him the news. Jim, Jr. was more than interested. He wanted to be running things again and not just sitting on the sidelines being a consultant for the new Turner regime.

David told Jim, Jr. the word was that Verne was asking for $3 mil for the AWA. Jim, Jr. balked. Even with the money made from the sale of the NWA/WCW, he felt they wouldn't be able to pull together enough financial resources to make a serious offer.

David informed Jim, Jr. that they could try and work out a deal with Verne Gagne and pay in installments. But Jim, Jr. wondered how that would work out considering the economic clout Harry and Waters would bring to the table with their bid.

David said the only thing they could do was throw their hat in the ring and see what happened. Jim, Jr. told David they needed to sit down and talk about it. If they could come up with a serious plan to buy the AWA, then they should go ahead and contact Verne and see what he thought.

David said he agreed but that they needed to make the decision quickly.

It looked like a new perspective buyer was about to enter the picture.

STAY TUNED...

(* The promotional HQ was moved to Dallas by this time but I just like the thought of them still being in Charlotte.)

Hmm, the Crockett family getting involved in a return to promoting via buying into the AWA following the previous sale of JCP to Ted Turner? And the plot thickens... :cool:

Will still be doing the AWA for a bit.

But thinking of possibly switching in the near future to a BTB of early '80s Georgia, Portland (PNW)* or Stampede.

* Hail The Man of the Pacific Northwest...RIP OLIVER!

Not to be too influential, but I'm currently working on a chapter of Rise of a Star that sees Renée Martel make a return to Stampede for an upcoming event that's going to prove to be the start on her road to becoming a major player in women's wrestling (with her win of the Mildred Burke tournament back in February already being just the beginning). That said, I'm also very familiar with Portland and Rip Oliver's work out that way back in the '80s... :D

EARLY FALL 1989

Verne Gagne was sitting at his desk in his office when his secretary buzzed him on the intercom.

Verne: Yes.

Secretary: Call on line one from Jim Crockett.

Verne: Crockett? Huh.

Verne picked up the phone.

Verne: Mr. Crcokett.

Jim: Mr. Gagne. How you doin'?

Verne: I'm doing okay. How about yourself.

Jim: Not too bad.

Verne: Enjoying no longer having to run a major wrestling promotion?

Jim: I did at first. The time away from all the hassles of the business was nice.

But that's what I called to talk to you about.

David and I heard you're looking to sell the AWA.

Verne: That's right. You looking to possibly buy?

Jim: I am. Heard that the asking price is $3 million.

Verne: Correct.

Jim: Well, we sold the NWA promotion to Turner for $9 million, so we've got the money.

Verne: Uh-huh.

Well, I need to tell you that another pair of buyers is also making a serious effort to purchase the AWA.

Jim: I heard about it. Is it Deborah Harry and John Waters?

Verne: Yes. I'm due to talk with them face-to-face in Milwaukee on the morning of Super Clash 4.

Jim: That's on the 18th, correct.

Verne: Yes.

Jim: Well, how about you and me have a meeting. I'll fly up there.

Verne: When can you make it?

Jim: Looking at my calendar here, how does Friday the 13th sound?

Verne: You want to do it Friday the 13th? My calendar is clear as well.

Jim: Say 11am at the AWA offices?

Verne: Sure. Let's do this.

To be blunt, Jim, I'd much rather sell to a wrestling person who truly understands the business than an outsider.

Jim: I understand, Verne. You and I want to give the fans wrestling presented as sport and not some cartoonish 'sports entertainment' product.

Verne: 100% spot on.

I'm hoping if I sell it will be to someone who appreciates the sport of wrestling and can make the AWA the true alternative to the WWF and become the WWF's main rival.

Jim: That's what the business needs right now...a promotion that presents wrestling in a way that fans can buy into it and get lost in the action.

Verne: You're singing my song. I like your vision.

Jim: Well, I'll fly up there on Thursday the 12th.

Verne: Okay. And I'll see you on the 13th at our offices at 11am.

Jim: Alright. See you then, Verne.

Verne: Good talking to you, Jim.

Jim: You too. Bye.

Verne: Bye.

Verne hung up the phone.

He leaned forward and placed his elbows on his desk. Verne now had a second potential buyer.

The waters just got murky...

HOWEVER...

Up in the Northeast, word had filtered back to a wrestling promoter about who might buy the AWA. Having already seen the Turner empire acquire the NWA/WCW, another big money player coming in and purchasing the AWA may greatly impact his business. He was now concerned...very concerned.

The wheels were spinning in his mind at 150 MPH. He knew he needed to act...and fast.

STAY TUNED...

Up in the Northeast, word had filtered back to a wrestling promoter about who might buy the AWA. Having already seen the Turner empire acquire the NWA/WCW, another big money player coming in and purchasing the AWA may greatly impact his business. He was now concerned...very concerned.

The wheels were spinning in his mind at 150 MPH. He knew he needed to act...and fast.

If it's who I suspect it is, either Debbie and John or the Crocketts had better move fast... :eek:

Hmm, the Crockett family getting involved in a return to promoting via buying into the AWA following the previous sale of JCP to Ted Turner? And the plot thickens... :cool:

Not to be too influential, but I'm currently working on a chapter of Rise of a Star that sees Renée Martel make a return to Stampede for an upcoming event that's going to prove to be the start on her road to becoming a major player in women's wrestling (with her win of the Mildred Burke tournament back in February already being just the beginning). That said, I'm also very familiar with Portland and Rip Oliver's work out that way back in the '80s... :D

Still a few more twists to go. I keep adding things because they keep popping into my head. We'll get to a conclusion sooner rather than later...I promise!

Looking forward to see what you do with Renee'. You have done a great job with your diary. Really done your homework. Did you do a lot of reading on the subject before getting started?

Do you know a lot about Stampede? The only stuff I ever watched of it was when they aired it on the old WWE 24/7 network. Have to do some serious video study and read some things if I'm gonna do Stampede.

You lived in Portland? What did you think of it?

Never understood how Rip was never a major heel in the WWF or NWA/WCW back in the late '80s. Could work and a real good talker.

Hey! Did you ever go to the Portland Sports Arena?

Remember Mean Mike Miller and Moondog Moretti?

God bless the memory of Don Owen.

EARLY FALL 1989

WWF HQ - STAMFORD, CT

Vince McMahon was sitting in his office with Howard Finkel and creative wrestling genius Pat Patterson. Finkel was the first employee hired by McMahon and worked in the office as well as did ring announcing at the famed MSG, TV tapings and PPV's. Patterson had a solid career as a wrestler and was Vince McMahon's top lieutenant. Vince and Pat wrote the TV's for the promotion.

McMahon sat in his office chair and looked out the window on a cool early fall day.

There was an uneasy silence in the room.

Finkel broke that silence.

Finkel: Vince, what did you need to see us for?

McMahon spun around in his chair to face Pat and Howard.

McMahon: Why wasn't I informed sooner of what was going on with the AWA?

Finkel: I never gave it much thought, to be honest.

Patterson: The AWA seems like it's on life support.

McMahon: Well, Jim Crockett wants to get back in the wrestling business.

Patterson: I say let him have the AWA if he wants to buy it. Good luck reviving it.

Finkel: I don't know if Crockett has the money, even after the sale of the NWA, to make a long-term go of it. I don't think he'll be able to lure top talent because he'll run out of money after a while. Also, would he be absorbing Verne's debts?

McMahon: Do you know how much debt he's in?

Finkel: Don't know exactly. But I heard it's pretty steep.

McMahon: I also heard that Deborah Harry of Blondie and movie director John Waters are interested in buying.

Patterson: I've heard that as well.

Finkel: Me, too.

McMahon: I'm much more worried about them than I am Crockett. They would have the deeper pockets. They could piss for a long time.

How much does Verne want for the AWA?

Patterson: I've heard $3 million.

McMahon: $3 million?! For that pile of sh*t promotion! I thought it would be around $1.5 or maybe $2 million for it because it's in such bad shape!

McMahon brooded for a moment and then let out a sigh.

McMahon: Well, there's only one thing left to do.

Finkel: What's that?

McMahon: Call my old buddy Verne and make him an offer he can't refuse for the company.

Vince McMahon wanted to thwart another major player from entering the wrestling game.

Verne Gagne was about to get a call even more surprising than the one from Crockett. And what Verne was about to hear on that call would surprise him even more.

STAY TUNED...

Looking forward to see what you do with Renee'. You have done a great job with your diary. Really done your homework. Did you do a lot of reading on the subject before getting started?

Sure did.

Do you know a lot about Stampede? The only stuff I ever watched of it was when they aired it on the old WWE 24/7 network. Have to do some serious video study and read some things if I'm gonna do Stampede.

I used to watch Stampede a lot on TV as a kid back in the '80s. YouTube's got a lot of Stampede clips from the 1980s, plus a few from the '70s (and even a clip from 1961 featuring a young Gorilla Monsoon) to search through.

You lived in Portland? What did you think of it?

Actually never lived in Portland, but I did follow PNW via the Apter mags and I saw a few Portland Wrestling matches spotlighted on Pro Wrestling Plus, the Canadian counterpart to Pro Wrestling This Week.

Remember Mean Mike Miller and Moondog Moretti?

God bless the memory of Don Owen.

I do remember Mike Miller from when he wrestled in Stampede and Moondog Moretti from All-Star in Vancouver. Also remember the feud between Curt Hennig (as AWA World Champion) vs. the Grappler over that title, Raven's early run in Portland as Scotty the Body (after coming from staying for a cup of coffee in Vancouver with All-Star), the Equalizer (before he became Kevin Sullivan's kayfabe brother Dave Sullivan in WCW) and Brian Adams' return to Portland as Demolition Crush and his run there under that name.

EARLY FALL 1989

VERNE GAGNE'S HOME ON LAKE MINNETONKA

Verne Gagne was relaxing in his recliner and watching some TV when the phone rang.

After the second ring...

Verne: Hello.

Voice: Verne?

Verne: Yes...

Verne suddenly realized the voice.

Verne: Is this Vince McMahon?

Vince: Yes, it is. Long time since we've talked.

Verne: It has been a while.

Vince: How are you and the family?

Verne: We're fine. How about yours?

Vince: Doing well. Can't complain.

Verne: That's good to hear.

What can I do for you?

Vince: Well, I've heard the AWA is on the market.

Verne: That's right.

Vince: I'd like to discuss taking it off your hands.

I heard $3 million is the asking price.

Verne: Correct.

I've got two other potential buyers interested in purchasing the company also.

Vince: I've heard about Deborah Harry and John Waters being interested.

Verne: News sure gets around in this business and fast.

Vince laughed.

Vince: It certainly does.

Is the other potential buyer Jim Crockett?

Verne: Well...yes...yes, it is.

Verne then blurted something out.

Verne: I'm meeting him in a few days to discuss a potential deal.

Verne then realized his gaffe in mentioning the meeting and was pissed at himself.

Vince sat up in his chair.

Vince: How about this? I fly up there tomorrow and we meet at a lounge in the airport and discuss matters. I'll call you back in the morning and let you know when I'll be arriving.

Verne: And you're serious about buying? This isn't some feeling out mission like in 1983 when you teased buying me out then?

Vince: This is 100% about buying.

Verne, I'm prepared to make an offer and no haggling will be needed.

Verne: What are we looking at?

Vince: $3... $3.5 million.

Vince now had Verne's full attention.

Silence...

Vince: Verne?

Verne: I'm here.

Vince: I would like to lay out my plan for the AWA and work out a payment plan if you sell to me.

Verne: Call me in the morning, Vince. Let me know when you're arriving.

Vince: Will do.

Good talking with you, Verne.

Verne: Nice to hear from you.

Vince: Bye.

Verne: Goodbye.

Verne hung up the phone and sat back in his recliner.

The largest offer he ever had for the promotion was now on the table and Vince appeared ready to pounce.

But does Verne really want to sell to the king of cartoonish pro wrestling?

But this is a business and businesses are about making money.

Vince McMahon has given Verne $3.5 million good reasons to sell to him.

STAY TUNED...

I loved the AWA, so seeing this makes me happy. Everyone says after Hogan left it went downhill but I disagree. AWA did pretty good after that and even in 1987 when they had a lot of talent.

Even during this period, they still have a lot of potential and some interesting free agents pop up around this time.

Sure did.

I used to watch Stampede a lot on TV as a kid back in the '80s. YouTube's got a lot of Stampede clips from the 1980s, plus a few from the '70s (and even a clip from 1961 featuring a young Gorilla Monsoon) to search through.

Actually never lived in Portland, but I did follow PNW via the Apter mags and I saw a few Portland Wrestling matches spotlighted on Pro Wrestling Plus, the Canadian counterpart to Pro Wrestling This Week.

I do remember Mike Miller from when he wrestled in Stampede and Moondog Moretti from All-Star in Vancouver. Also remember the feud between Curt Hennig (as AWA World Champion) vs. the Grappler over that title, Raven's early run in Portland as Scotty the Body (after coming from staying for a cup of coffee in Vancouver with All-Star), the Equalizer (before he became Kevin Sullivan's kayfabe brother Dave Sullivan in WCW) and Brian Adams' return to Portland as Demolition Crush and his run there under that name.

Man! Are we a couple of old prunes!

You watched Stampede in the '80s and I used to go to the Showboat Sports Pavilion to watch the AWA.

Always loved the Grappler gimmick.

Maybe you can give me some tips on Stampede back then if I decide to go that route.

I loved the AWA, so seeing this makes me happy. Everyone says after Hogan left it went downhill but I disagree. AWA did pretty good after that and even in 1987 when they had a lot of talent.

Even during this period, they still have a lot of potential and some interesting free agents pop up around this time.

Welcome aboard!

Hope you'll keep reading. I keep intending to end the will Verne sell or not thing but then new ideas keep popping into my head and extending it.

AWA was still really solid in '84 through early '86 and then it seemed to just fall off a cliff.

Thanks for reading.

EARLY FALL 1989

AIRPORT LOUNGE - MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL AIRPORT - MINNEAPOLIS, MN

(Vince had contacted Verne earlier in the day with details about his arrival.)

Verne Gagne and son Greg had arrived early at the airport lounge. They were waiting for Vince McMahon to arrive. The father-son duo were sipping their drinks passing the time. McMahon's flight landed on time at 8:15pm. At around 8:30, McMahon and three other people walked into the lounge and spotted Verne and Greg.

Verne and Greg stood as Vince approached. All the men were dressed appropriately for the time of year Minneapolis.

Verne: Vince.

Vince: Verne.

The pair shook hands and the all of the people involved in the meeting shook hands and exchanged greetings. The tables were small in the lounge so one of Vince's co-horts pulled another table over along with four chairs and Team Vince sat at that table.

After making some idle small talk, Verne asked the first question.

Verne: Who is this, exactly?

Vince: This is my lawyer...Thurston Howell III.

Vince: And you already know Pat Patterson and Jerry Brisco.

Verne: Just a little.

Chuckles.

A waitress came over and took the orders of Vince and the trio that arrived with him.

Verne: So, you're offering $3.5 million for the AWA?

Vince: I am. But first, I want to tell you my immediate vision for the AWA if purchased by me.

What I would do is keep the AWA and WWF separate entities for a while. This could be for several months up to a year. To maintain some kayfabe, I'd keep the AWA offices right where they are now.

Then, when the time is right, I would launch an inter-promotional war between the AWA and WWF. Wrestlers from the other promotion would show up on the programming of the other outfit. Wrestlers would jump ship from the AWA to the WWF and vice versa. The AWA wrestlers would be kept faces in their territory and the WWF wrestlers would be faces in their home territory.

Verne: But you're national.

Vince: I know what you're gonna ask, Verne.

The waitress brought the drinks and dispersed them. Vince paid for them and gave her a nice tip.

After the waitress walked away from the table.

Vince: Wow! Did you see the tits on her?

Vince and his cronies laughed and Greg and Verne chuckled politely.

Verne: I see you had no luggage.

Vince: Our flight back to JFK is at 11:05pm.

But back to what I was saying before Betty Big Tits made me lose my train of thought there. I believe that in certain areas of the country the fans could be split with how we'll book this thing.

Anyway, we'd build up to a series of matches on our regular TV's, pay-per-views, we'd create a couple of annual AWA pay-per-views, network specials, etc. I think, if things go according to plan, we could get two good years out of this program. I might have it all culminate at a Wrestlemania.

Also, you're very national. You're on ESPN.

Verne: And the WWF would win the blow-off show, correct?

Vince: Not necessarily. It could be the WWF loses and has to fight to regain what they lost at another pay-per-view like SummerSlam and then we could have the final blow-off show at Survivor Series. Think of all the twists and turns this could take. Survivor Series might be the better choice to decide everything because it's all elimination matches.

Verne: Have to admit that you've got quite a vision there, Vince.

What I don't understand is the need for a lawyer.

Vince reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a document.

Verne: What the hell is that?

Vince: It's a contract to purchase the AWA from you.

My lawyer, Pat and Jerry are here to witness the signing.

Vince slid the contract...and a pen...over to Verne.

Verne: Huh? Vince, there's no way I'm signing anything without my lawyer Gomez Adams looking at it.

Vince: Why don't you take some time and look the document over.

Verne: Let me ask: how would you pay for this?

Vince: Well, I would put $1.5 million down and pay the remaining $2 million in eight installments of $250 grand per year.

Verne nodded.

Verne: Well, that sounds good.

Vince: Great!

Verne started looking over the contract and then a thought popped into his head.

Verne: Didn't you buy Stu Hart's Calgary promotion only to renege on the deal and return it to Stu?

Vince: Different situation, Verne. Just the start of expansion for us. Did not seem cost effective at the time.

Verne: How do I know you won't bail on this if I sign the contract?

What kind of out clauses are in here that benefit you.

Thurston (in a snobby voice): The contract is good, sir. Attorneys at my law firm of Howell, Butkus and Van Dyke drew it up.

Verne pondered the situation for a moment. There was a tense silence around the two tables.

Vince: Verne, you have my word that this will not end up like the deal with Stu Hart.

Verne eyeballed Vince for a moment.

Pat: Verne, his word is good on this. I can vouch for him. Sign it and ride off into the sunset with the biggest payday of your life.

More silence at the table.

Verne: You're gonna have to give me until October 19th.

Vince: October 19th? Verne, you surely don't need that long.

Verne: I promised Crockett a meeting and I intend to fulfill that promise.

I should also mention that I'm meeting with Harry and Waters in Milkwaukee on the 18th.

Vince not happy.

Vince: October 19th? I'm holding you to your word.

Verne: My word is my bond, Vince.

Vince: So is mine.

Don't make the biggest mistake of your life, Verne. Sign the deal. Do the right thing for yourself and your family.

Verne paused.

Verne: This is not an easy decision.

Vince spoke in conciliatory tones.

Vince: I know that, Verne.

But any money problems you may have can be wiped out with some of this money and the rest...well...you're set for life.

Verne: I'll get back to you on the 19th.

Vince: I look forward to hearing from you, Verne.

Pat, Jerry, Thurston. Let's go grab something to eat before we have to fly back to New York.

Thurston: Oh! I gotta call Lovey and let her know we arrived safely.

With that, all the men stood, shook hands, said their goodbyes and went their separate ways.

Verne had the largest offer he was most likely going to ever get for the AWA.

Now it was finally...finally getting down to decision time and the future of the promotion.

STAY TUNED...

EARLY FALL 1989

Jim Crockett had arrived...

Crockett didn't have to wait long for Verne Gagne to make it down the hall and welcome Jim. The two made small talk as they walked back to Verne's office. Once inside the office, they took a seat at Verne's desk.

Jim: Nice office you got here, Verne.

Verne: I like it.

Before this goes any further, after we get through discussing business, I thought I'd take you to lunch.

Jim: Fine. Fine.

Verne: Let's get down to discussing the business at hand, shall we.

Jim: Sounds good to me.

Verne: As you know my asking price has been $3 million.

Jim nodded in agreement.

Verne: I take great comfort, Jim, in knowing you're a wrestling guy and not a 'sports entertainment' type.

Jim: You're spot on there. And the AWA would remain a true wrestling promotion if I bought it.

By the way, I'd like to give you my thoughts on a couple of things before moving forward.

Verne: Shoot.

Jim: In looking at your roster, I think you have a pretty good base to build on here. There's a good mix of young and veteran talent.

I also managed to get copies of a couple of your recent shows and must say I think the build-up to Super Clash 4 has been good.

Verne: Thank you.

This is the biggest show for us in almost a year.

Jim: Of course, a few more, not a lot but a few more, wrestlers need to be added to the mix to garner more fan attention and freshen things up.

I think bringing in Greg Valentine was a real good move. He's got a lot of mileage left in the tank.

Verne: Agreed. That's why I signed him. He's gonna be a top heel.

What do you think of some of the younger talent?

Jim: I've seen some of the work of The Destruction Crew and have been quite impressed.

Badd Company's a solid heel team but it's their manager, that Page guy, that makes them a top tier tag team. Kind of like Jim Cornette elevating the Midnight Express.

Tommy Jammer's got some potential in my book as a mid-card face.

Jonnie Stewart needs a little polish but I think has top tier heel written all over him.

As for the Top Guns, well, they strike me as a face team along the level of the Fantastics but not at the level of the Rock-N-Roll Express.

Kokina Maximus looks like a ready-made monster heel with a serious upside.

There's some good talent to build on here.

Verne: Okay.

Now, let's get down to business.

I've been looking to sell for around $3 million. Do you have an offer you're ready to make?

Jim: Well, David and I have been discussing it. We're currently looking for a third investor.

Verne winced.

Verne: What if you can't find a third investor?

Jim: We might have to walk away from buying.

$9 million dollars is not really $9 million dollars after taxes and paying off some debts.

And being a consultant for a wrestling promotion is not really something I'm interested in for the long haul. David and I want back in the game.

Verne: Well, we'll see what can be done, Jim.

But I do need to tell you something.

Jim: What's that?

Verne: I met with Vince McMahon a couple of days ago.

Crockett mouthed the word 'wow'.

Crockett: Not expecting to hear that.

Did he make an offer?

Verne: He called me out of the blue a few days back and wanted to set up a meeting so that's what we did.

He's offering $3.5 million for the company.

Jim: Are you leaning towards accepting?

Verne: Honestly, I'm going back and forth on it.

From strictly a business perspective I want to sell to him. I mean...$3.5 million.

Jim: Understood.

Verne: He even laid out a vision for an inter-promotional feud between the AWA and WWF.

But I don't care for his kind of wrestling.

I have built up a legacy here. I created the AWA from the ground up, built upon the foundation of the wrestling being front and center. And I'd hate to see it reduced to a cartoon sideshow.

Jim: So, the company's still in play then?

Verne: Right now...very much so.

And I'm due to meet with John Waters and Deborah Harry in Milwaukee the morning of Super Clash 4 to discuss possibly selling to them.

Jim: Well, looks like you've got a lot of irons in the fire right now.

I don't know if $3.5 million would be feasilble for us at this moment. David and I will have to talk about it. The need for a third investor is now vital for us to be able to make a deal.

Please, don't make a decision in haste, Verne. I know Vince's offer is hard to pass up. But just give us and the other potential buyers a chance to get all our ducks in a row and see if we can make a deal.

Verne: I will choose carefully. Very carefully. But there are also other things to think about here: like paying off debts and leaving something for the family.

Jim: Just give us a chance to try and put a viable offer together, Verne. That's all I ask.

Verne: I will. I want to be as fair as possible in this process.

Now, how about we get some lunch?

Jim: Sounds good to me.

The two men left the office, hopped in Crockett's rental car and drove off to lunch...

...as the fate of AWA hung in the balance.

STAY TUNED...