WCW: The one where Russian oligarch bought the company

dde01ig-179223a0-b54e-49cd-bfe3-7e67e27a1ea7.png

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #95

Spokane, WA

Announcers: Mike Tenay, Tony Schiavone and Larry Zbyszko
Overall: 84

We start the show from the backstage area, where Steve Corino is in Dusty Rhodes' office. Corino points out that he eliminated the most people in last night's battle royal and also was the last man standing from Nitro brand. Corino demands a WCW World Heavyweight Championship match. Rhodes replies that he'll take that into consideration. (76)

Match 1: Samoa Joe, Homicide and Low Ki vs Kaz Hayashi, Jamie Noble and Ultimo Dragon. Samoa Joe, Homicide and Low Ki continue to stick together after BattleBowl. In a quick match full of spots, Hayashi goes for the Hayashi Cutter on Homicide. Homicide is saved by Low Ki. Low Ki kicks Hayashi out of the ring. Samoa Joe tries to grab Noble in a chokehold, but he suddenly turns it into a Guillotine Choke! Joe is in trouble! Meanwhile, Low Ki whips Ultimo Dragon right into a Gringo Killer from Homicide. 1...2...3. (9:37, 74) 

After the ringbell Homicide and Low Ki save Joe from the hold. An enraged Joe attacks Noble and puts him in a chokehold! WCW referees and officials intervene. Tenay points out that Joe doesn't like being made to look "bad". 

Video vignette: This man is being actively photographed for fashion magazines. He has a great body and great looks. He cares about it. He's also called "Gorgeous." His name is Bobby Roode, and he will be appearing on Nitro soon. (38)

Backstage, WCW US Champion AJ Styles talks to Rey Mysterio. He's unhappy with beign eliminated by Rey. "We could have made it to the end together." Rey replies that they work well as a team, but it's every man for himself in battle royal. It will also be every man for himself at the Spring Stampede as Rey tries to regain the United States Championship. But they have another tag team match tonight..... (75)

Match 2: Super Crazy and Tajiri vs Andy Douglas and Chase Stevens. Super Crazy and Tajiri have a match against young Andy Douglas and Chase Stevens and pick up a convincing victory after a Buzzsaw Kick from Tajiri and a Moonsault from Crazy. (7:20, 58)

Raven comes out for an in-ring promo. "I think someone in WCW management doesn't like me. Not only am I not getting the chances I deserve - they're inviting all the scum from the past. My past. First Sandman. Now Saturn. Who's next? I'm not going to fight them - not alongside them, not against them. They are my toxic past. My destiny is the WCW World Heavyweight Championship." The Commissioner Dusty Rhodes is here to respond. "You're going to fight who I say and when I say. At the Spring Stampede, you're going to have a street fight against Sandman." Raven: "That's what you think, old man." (76)

Match 3: Perry Saturn vs Mark Copani. Perry Saturn returns on Nitro and shows his class, taking on a young rookie Mark Copani at Rings of Saturn for the win. (3:15, 78)

Post-match, Gene Okerlund comes out for an interview. Saturn buries WWE in his promo. He's happy to be back in WCW. WWE doesn't value real and dangerous fighters. They didn't give him a chance. They prefer to show clown with mops on national TV. Saturn is back where is a real rivalry and real matches. He wants a competition! How does he feel about Raven? Saturn isn't going to dig up the past. He's not in WCW for that, he's in WCW for a real competition, real wins and real titles. But he really... really... really... really didn't like the fact that Raven left him at BattleBowl. Otherwise Saturn would have already been with a WCW World Heavyweight Championship shot at the Great American Bash. (41)

We have footage from WCW BattleBowl. An angry Chavo Guerrero bursts into the Four Horsemen's locker room. He was counting on Claudio to play along with the Horsemen and Chavo. Claudio replies that they defeated him fairly, even though he and Hero had a disagreement. Things end with a challenge: tomorrow (on tonight's show) on Nitro, Chavo Guerrero and Claudio Castagnoli will face off in a singles match. (79)

Match 4: Rey Mysterio and AJ Styles vs Air Paris and Ricky Reyes. The tension between the future match participants at the Spring Stampede was evident this time around, but that didn't stop them from picking up the victory after Styles Clash on Paris and Springboard Hurricanrana on Reyes. (8:24, 77)

Chavo Guerrero is not in the best of moods as he makes his way to the ring, "Because of all this internal shit between the Horsemen, I'm not with the BattleBowl ring right now. I'm sick of it. I've beaten The Rock. I've beaten Chris Hero, the winner of the SuperBrawl Classic. I've beaten every single one of your stars. But as I get closer to the pinnacle and the trophies, I get in the way. It's the same glass ceiling that has always been there for talented wrestlers in WCW. And it's getting to me! I demand that Dusty Rhodes come out here and give me what I deserve." Dusty Rhodes appears. He sets up the matches for tonight: Chavo vs Castagnoli, and Corino vs Chris Hero. The winners will fight for the #1 contendership (and shot for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship at the Spring Stampede) next week. (87)

Match 5, WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Championship: Frankie Kazarian and Matt Bentley (w/ Stacy Keibler) vs Matt Sydal and Shannon Moore. Moore has an eye patch over his eye, the result of an injury in his contendership match. That patch gets in his way as he climbs up on the top-rope and misses a high-risk maneuver on Kazarian. Bentley immediately takes him down with a Superkick and pins - Sydal doesn't make it in time to stop - the ref counts to three. Kazarian and Bentley defend the titles again. (8:56, 82)

Backstage, Dusty Rhodes calls Rob Van Dam and Jerry Lynn into the office. Rhodes notes that not only do they have a great shared history in the past, but - given the BattleBowl - in the present as well, so Dusty schedules them for a 1v1 match at the Spring Stampede. (65)

Chris Hero backstage interview. He's tired of the Horsemen's constant interference in his business. Hero wants to settle it all with them in the ring and is willing to even fight them all at once if needed.

Match 6: Chavo Guerrero vs Claudio Castagnoli. Chavo showed that he is much more experienced than his opponent. Claudio had physical superiority on his side. Chavo dodges a Big Boot and rolls Castagnoli up into a pin, putting his feet on the ropes. 1...2...3. (9:48, 78)

Match 7: Steve Corino vs Chris Hero. Chris Hero finally gets a singles match against Steve Corino. The wrestlers showed all the animosity between them in the ring, but it's a stretch to say that Hero got what he wanted... As soon as he was in control of the match and Corino felt like he was losing - CW Anderson showed up. It doesn't come down to interference, but Hero and the ref are distracted - and Corino hits Hero with a brass knuckle. 1...2...3. (15:48, 87)

Post-match, Anderson and Corino throw some punches to Hero, as the crowd is booing and Nitro ending.

================================================

image.png.ab25eb8a906c476a910e5d54b585b375.png

WCW RAGE
Episode #16

Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI

Announcers: Joey Styles, Jerry Lawler and Don Callis

Lance Storm, accompanied by Bret Hart, opens the show and brags about his victory, the BattleBowl ring and the fact that he is going to the Great American Bash where he will finally become WCW World Heavyweight Champion. It's serious now! Shawn Michaels interrupts. He points out to how Lance won. The HBK shows video footage: in the match, CM Punk catched Lance during the elimination. But Lance's feet touched the mats outside the ring at least the same time as HBK's if not earlier. But the new WCW referee Jack Doan didn't see it. HBK calls for the decision to be changed. Hart intervenes and says the refs' decisions are final. They always have been. Don Callis grabs the mic from the commentary position, "Jack Doan is a new ref and could have made a mistake. Tonight he will get a chance to correct it because in the main event, Lance Storm and Shawn Michaels will decide of who gets the match at the Great American Bash. Jack Doan will referee the match." (100)

Match 1: Shane Helms vs TJ Perkins. Shane Helms defeats TJ Perkins in great lightweight action. Don Callis announced during the match that Helms will get a rematch for the WCW Cruiserweight Championship at the next RAGE. (8:20, 63)

Backstage, John Cena is angry with Hugh Morrus for not helping him during their tag team match at BattleBowl. Morrus replies that sometimes the young ones need to be taught a lesson. Cena: "Oh yeah? All the locker room and their authority figures can kiss my ass!" He challenged Matt Morgan to a match tonight and doesn't want to see Morrus anywhere near the ring. (58)

Tonight, Mike Awesome starts his participation in WCW North American Championship tournament. Franchin tries to find him for an interview but he's not in the locker room.

Match 2: John Cena vs 'The Blueprint' Matt Morgan (w/ Christopher Daniels). John Cena met a serious opponent in the form of the powerful (but not yet too skilled in the ring) Matt Morgan. Cena was better due to his speed. Christopher Daniels began to interfere in the match and gave Morgan a leverage. Hugh Morrus runs out to help and accidentally knocks Cena down. Daniels attacks Morrus, and Morgan is in the ring laying Cena out with a Hellevator for the win. (5:46, 55)

Post-match, Cena is not happy with Morrus. He pushes him off and goes backstage.

Backstage, Sean O'Haire and Crowbar are talking. Sean doesn't hold a grudge against Crowbar for last night's defeat. But they have a tag team match again tonight. And if they want to defend the WCW World Tag Team Championship at the Spring Stampede together, they'll have to do better tonight. (64)

Match 3: Sean O'Haire and Crowbar vs The Prima Donnas (Christian York and Joey Matthews). O'Haire get a hot tag... and walks out of the ring! Crowbar doesn't understand what's going on. Especially after Sean's reassurances... But Christian York and Joey Matthews seize the moment and run their new finisher, the Snapshot, on Crowbar. The Prima Donnas pick up the huge victory at RAGE! (4:28, 60)

Backstage, WCW World Champion Goldberg wishes Shawn Michaels good luck. "We had a great match at Starrcade. I still want to find out which one of us is better. And this time, we'd make the match to the end without interference." (76)

Match 4, WCW North American Championship Tournament First Round: Mike Awesome vs Paul London. Mike Awesome comes through the crowd again and attacks Paul London from behind, gaining an early advantage in the match. London had a hard time recovering from such an attack. Especially as Awesome used his full arsenal of brutal moves. The announcers were looking surprised, forgetting what Mike's matches in ECW looked like. London tried to retake control and even succeeded, but Awesome catches him during one of his jumps and delivers an Awesome Bomb for the win. (12:49, 76)

Post-match, Mike Awesome further tries to "make an impact" and sends London into the steel steps! Then he - despite the screams and protests of the announcers, especially Joey Styles - begins to dismantle the announcing table... Brian Kendrick runs to the ring with a group of road agents. Awesome eventually leaves the arena through the crowd.

Chris Kanyon backstage promo. He brags about his victory over The Rock. "I'm still the #1 contender, but where's my title match? At the Spring Stampede, a member of Nitro will get the match, at the Great American Bash it will be Storm or HBK. Where am I, where's Kanyon?". (89)

Match 5: Sting and Booker T vs Elix Skipper and Petey Williams. Sting and Booker still try to make it work as a tag team before their chance to become tag team champions at the Spring Stampede.  Booker T saves Sting from the Canadian Destroyer with a Harlem Sidekick. Booker knocks Skipper out of the ring and Sting forces Petey to submit to the Scorpion Deathlock. (11:40, 79)

The Rock enters the arena, walks straight to the announcing table and addresses Don Callis directly, "I signed with RAGE on the condition that you give me Jeff Jarrett. Where's my match with him? You got a week to give me that son of a bitch." (87)

Match 6, Title Shot for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship: Lance Storm (w/ Bret Hart) vs Shawn Michaels. The wrestlers knew each other well. After all, this is their third match after Clash of the Champions and SuperBrawl... CM Punk tries to interfere in the match, but Michaels gets rid of him. The referee is distracted by this - at which point Bret Hart climbs into the ring with a ringbell in his hands! Shawn spots him, sweeps his legs and grabs him in a Sharpshooter! Hart taps out! Lance meanwhile comes back and hits Shawn with a ringbell to the head. Bret takes the bell and gets out of the ring... And Storm makes the pin to three. (19:54, 81)

• Like 2

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #96

AllState Arena, Chicago, IL

TONIGHT: Chavo Guerrero vs Steve Corino. The winner will fight Goldberg for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship at Spring Stampede. (67)

Match 1: Jamie Noble vs Shannon Moore. Noble in typical technical style avoids a Rocker Dropper and grabs Moore in a Guillotine Choke for the win. (8:31, 81)

Post-match, Samoa Joe pops into the ring and grabs Noble in his version of the Guillotine Choke! Homicide and Low Ki guard the ring from the ref and officials, giving Joe the opportunity to do as much damage as possible. The commentators call it revenge for last week when Noble was able to make that submission hold on Joe. (79)

Video vignette about soon to be Nitro debut of 'Gorgeous' Bobby Roode. Bobby has the looks of a superstar that he has a huge following. Therefore, his success on Nitro is inevitable. (38)

Stacy Keibler (with WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Champions Frankie Kazarian and Matt Bentley) in-ring promo. She brags that there is no more competition for her clients on Nitro. WCW Commissioner Dusty Rhodes comes out. He promised an announcement and here it is: he's officially removing the weight limit from the tag team titles. From now on, these are WCW Nitro Tag Team Championship and can be defended against any team. This opens up a whole lot of opportunities for Kazarian and Bentley. A lot of new opponents. Speaking of opportunities: a small tournament will determine the champions' opponents at the Great American Bash. And tonight, Dusty will give a taste of who the champions will now have to face.... A match against Abyss and Mesias! (69)

Match 2: Perry Saturn vs Air Paris. Perry Saturn continues his appearances on Nitro, this time meeting little resistance from Air Paris and finishing the match again with Rings Of Saturn. (8:17, 78)

Post-match, Raven makes his way to the ring.  He apologises to Saturn for BattleBowl and blames Sandman for everything. Raven says he's always seen Perry as a good fighter and believes he'll be a success. If it weren't for Sandman... Saturn seems to believe. The announcers doubt Raven's sincerity and call it a manipulation. (60)

Backstage, Ric Flair talks to Dustin Rhodes about the change in status of the tag team titles. They did well as a tag team at BattleBowl. Flair suggests they try one more time in the tag team tournament and fight for the titles. (76)

Chris Hero is in Dusty Rhodes' office blazing with vengeance and demanding matches against the Horsemen, who constantly attack him as a group. Dusty replies that Corino already has a match tonight. But Rhodes suggests this: Chris Hero will face CW Anderson at the Spring Stampede and if he wins, he'll get a match against Corino at the Great American Bash. Regardless of whether or not Steve will be WCW World Heavyweight Champion by then. Hero agrees (73).

Match 3: Jerry Lynn vs Chris Chetti. Rob Van Dam joins the announcers. He talked about their extensive shared history with Lynn, but noted that Lynn was never as talented as RVD. And got a contract with WCW more out of pity because WCW couldn't sign "one of a kind". As for the match, Jerry Lynn wins after the Cradle Piledriver. (5:02, 63)

Post-match, RVD tries to attack Lynn with a chair, but Jerry really knew his opponent well and was ready for it. Lynn knocks Rob out of the ring. RVD looks surprised. (67)

Video vignette of Rey Mysterio's preparation for the WCW US Championship match. "This is a huge opportunity for me that I can't pass up." (62)

Match 4: Ric Flair and Dustin Rhodes vs Colt Cabana and Julio Dinero. Ric Flair and Dustin Rhodes practice their tag team interactions. Dinero and Cabana made their opponents sweat, but the veterans pulled it off - Flair grabs Dinero in a Figure-Four Leglock for the win. (11:10, 83)

Chavo Guerrero backstage interview. He talks about a huge opportunity for him tonight. He's going to be the #1 contender for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. (64)

Match 5, Non-Title: Frankie Kazarian and Matt Bentley (w/ Stacy Keibler) vs Abyss and Mesias (w/ James Mitchell). The size difference was impressive - and it made the difference when Abyss catches a leaping Bentley and lays him out with the Black Hole Slam for the win. (10:42, 76)

Backstage, Steve Corino talks to the Horsemen. "Management has had us on the bench for a long time. But tonight I'm going to earn a chance for us - a chance for the Horsemen to get the WCW World Championship belt" (79)

AJ Styles signs autographs. He is asked about his match with Rey Mysterio. Styles says that he respects Rey. Mysterio was the first to bring the cruiserweight style to the mainstream. He made a way for the guys like AJ. Styles has learnt a lot from Rey. This is going to be a tough match, but Styles is going to defend the US title. (75)

Match 6, #1 Contendership for WCW World Heavyweight Championship: Chavo Guerrero vs Steve Corino. The fans didn't really know who to root for. But other than that, the match was first class. Chavo argued with the fans a lot - and that got in the way when he taunted them for too long before the Frog Splash. Corino dodged - and performed an Old School Expulsion to win the even match. (15:42, 88)

Post-match, Steve Corino shows that he'll be the next WCW World Heavyweight Champion - and that's where the show ends.

WCW RAGE
Episode #17

Ocean Center, Daytona Beach, FL

Overall: 80

TONIGHT: We'll see a Cruiserweight Gauntlet with the two remaining having a match against each other the next week. The winner of which will be the next #1 contender for the WCW Cruiserweight Championship.

Match 1, WCW Cruiserweight Championship: Elix Skipper vs Shane Helms. In their previous encounter, Helms was close to victory, but interference from Petey Williams saved the champion from the Vertabreaker. This time, Helms lifts Skipper up again for the Vertabreaker - and once again, Elix tries his best to avoid the horrible move and lands a low blow in front of the ref. Disqualification. Skipper picks up the belt and quickly escapes the ring. I guess it's still not the end. (14:11, 81)

Backstage, Francin interviews The Prima Donnas about their big win last week. "We're the best flying team since the Rockers. And we're tired of being benched. We want recognition, we want titles, and we'll do anything to get noticed on RAGE" (42)

Christopher Daniels backstage promo. He announces his participation in tonight's Cruiserweight Gauntlet. "It might be time to show them all what the true God of cruiserweight wrestling is all about. Most of the competitors just started wrestling yesterday... I've been performing at indy venues when they were still drinking milk from their mothers tits" (64)

Match 2: Booker T and Sting vs The Prima Donnas (Christian York and Joey Matthews). Despite all the talk York and Matthews couldn't overpower their experienced opponents - Booker T puts Matthews down with an Axe Kick, while York gets a Scorpion Deathlock. (10:46, 80)

Backstage, Nigel McGuinness complains to his tag team partner about a hip injury. So he will be replaced by Doug Williams in the 1/4 finals of the WCW North American Championship tournament. Alex Wright steps up and says he can beat both of them, so he doesn't care who his opponent is. (36)

John Cena answers questions from the visitors of WCW.com. He again talks about how there is an unspoken rule in the locker room - "do as the elders advise". Even if those veterans can't do shit in the ring. Even if those older guys can't help the younger guys. Even if you're better than them. Cena isn't going to comply and he doesn't want the locker room 'authorities' prying into his business like Morrus did. John Cena challenges Hugh Morrus to a match! (50)

Match 3, Cruiserweight Gauntlet. We’ve got a lot of famous and not very famous talents here. But the one thing that surprised many was the unexpected return of TAKA Michinoku! It was just him, Christopher Daniels, Sonjay Dutt and a young Jack Evans left at the end. Experienced Daniels blocked one of Evans' moves and knocked him out of the ring. Michinoku suddenly pushes Daniels out of the ring - and the bell sounds! TAKA Michinoku and Sonjay Dutt will determine the #1 contender for the Cruiserweight Championship next week. (12:29, 69)

Backstage, Sean O'Haire talks to some RAGE wrestlers in a locker room. Some try to convince him to pick them as a tag team partner. O'Hair replies that he'll think about it and walks away, shaking his head in frustration... At that moment, he is attacked by Crowbar! Crowbar manages to land a few punches before security intervenes! (61)

Mike Awesome makes his way through the crowd. He walks straight to the announcing table! Awesome says that some nasty words that Styles said a week ago have come to his attention. Awesome reminds him that Joey was the one that made the entire ECW roster hate him when he jumped to WCW. "You were telling them all that I sold out. You called me a disgrace. You were the one that made my family lose all their friends. You were talking about chasing after gold. That I was a Judas. You said it all. Do you think I've forgotten? Do you think I've forgotten, you son of a..." Awesome grabs Joey Styles! Jerry Lawler tries to stand up for his commentary partner and immediately gets a mighty clothesline. Awesome is about to do the Awesome Bomb on Styles through a table... Brian Kendrick runs out and attacks Mike. Awesome grabs Kendrick and throws him into the steel post before leaving the arena through the crowd. (59)

Match 4, WCW North American Championship Tournament Second Round: Alex Wright vs Doug Williams (w/ Nigel McGuinness). Alex Wright and Doug Williams are both masters of technical wrestling, so the match was full of takedowns, interceptions and all sorts of interesting moves. Nigel McGuinness tried to interfere in the match. Wright shoved Doug right into him and performed a German Suplex with a roll up. 1...2...3. Wright advances to the semifinals! (10:49, 78)

Jeff Jarrett enters the ring. "The Rock challenged me...? I don't have to do what His Majesty The Rock wants me to do. I don't have to do what you want me to do. Because no one appreciates it. I've always done what the management wanted me to do. And what did I get in return? They screwed on me the very first minute I got injured. But a deal's a deal. Don Callis promised Rock a match with me... and I promised Callis that I would bring Rock to RAGE. And the plan worked. I will have a match with The Rock and show you all who your favorite star is. After that, all The Rock has to do is go back to Vince or Hollywood with his tail between his legs. But I won't be doing it here or in this shithole, I'll do it in a proper arena. At the Great American Bash in June." (77)

Match 5, WCW North American Championship Tournament Second Round: CM Punk vs American Dragon. Many would call the match between CM Punk and American Dragon a "technical dream match".... Both showed us why they are considered WCW's top young talents. But a bottle shot to Dragon's head two weeks earlier from James Storm still was felt. Punk quickly "cracked" the wound - and Dragon started bleeding heavily again. The blood flooded his eyes, which Punk took advantage of, catching Dragon with a Devil Lock DDT for the win. (9:48, 82)

Match 6: Goldberg and The Rock vs Chris Kanyon and Lance Storm (w/ Bret Hart). Goldberg and Rock almost picked up the victory, but Jeff Jarrett showed up and attacked Rock. Rock and Jarrett began brawling outside the ring, leaving Goldberg alone. Storm and Kanyon double-teamed the WCW World Champion - and Lance made the pin! 1...2...3. (12:55, 76)

Post-match, Shawn Michaels appears in the arena. Lance Storm prepares to fight. But HBK has a mic. "Take it easy Lance, I'm not here to get to you... You won like you won. And it made me realize one thing. My problem isn't so much with you, but with the man behind you. Bret Hart. Bret, do you want revenge? You don't want to let go of the past? Why don't you stop using other people and do it yourself? You and me, one on one. Hart vs Michaels. Hitman vs HBK. Let's finish what we started a long time ago." Shawn Michaels challenges Bret Hart - and the show goes off the air! (91)

Edited by Dimos
  • Like 1

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #97

Resch Center, Green Bay, WI

Overall: 89

TONIGHT: WCW US Champion AJ Styles and Rey Mysterio will be the guests of Piper's Pit. (67)

Steve Corino opens the show and announces: at the Spring Stampede, he is going to defeat Goldberg and become WCW World Heavyweight Champion. He's been preparing for this moment his entire career. "You idiots don't know this, but I was the ECW champion. I've been the champion in indy. I've wrestled all over the world. And all of that was preparation for the biggest moment of my career. For the Spring Stampede, where I will defeat your beloved Goldberg and win the ultimate prize, the World Heavyweight Title." Goldberg is here with a mic. "I don't know how it was in ECW or the indies... But I'll tell you how it works here in WCW. If you get a title match, you're next!". Goldberg and Corino come face to face... and Corino lands a cheap shot, trying to knock Goldberg down. Goldberg fights back and takes control, but CW Anderson and Claudio Castagnoli intervene. The three of them beatdown the champion until Chris Hero comes running to his rescue. Hero clears the ring and helps the champion up. Hero and Goldberg challenge the Horsemen to a match tonight! (100)

Match 1: Jamie Noble vs Kenny King. Jamie Noble has a match against local wrestler Kenny King and picks up the victory after the Guillotine Choke. (3:22, 61)

Post-match, Jamie Noble grabs the mic and says that if Samoa Joe wants to face him, all he had to do was ask. Noble challenges Joe to a match next week and is going to show him the real Guillotine Choke. Samoa Joe comes out to the ramp and shows that he accepts the challenge. (68)

Backstage, WCW Commissioner Dusty Rhodes meets the Horsemen backstage and confirms that match Goldberg and Hero vs Corino and Anderson is now official. Claudio Castagnoli asks: "What about me?". Dusty isn't going to do a handicap match. And if Castagnoli is raring to be in action tonight, he has a match against Perry Saturn. (78)

Match 2: Kaz Hayashi and Tajiri vs Low Ki and Homicide. Hayashi and Low Ki. Hayashi and Low Ki were finally able to get to each other before the PPV, but in a tag team match. Homicide gets a green mist to the face and Hayashi performs a Hayashi Cutter on him for the win. (8:19, 71)

Backstage, Raven and Perry Saturn arrive together. Raven continues to pump Saturn up with hatred for Sandman. He actually has an idea: Saturn should challenge him instead of Raven! Road agent Harley Race meets them and informs that Saturn has a match tonight against Castagnoli. (70)

"Piper's Pit":
Roddy Piper invites AJ Styles and Rey Mysterio to the ring. Piper says the whole internet is buzzing about their match. Rey is repeatedly voted the fastest wrestler by the internet. Styles is also a fan favorite of the marks. Piper tries to cause strife between the would-be opponents, but both Rey and Styles express respect for their opponent and are going to show a five-star match... The idyll is broken by Chavo Guerrero, who is tired of hearing about mutual respect and giving in to those internet idiots. You don't need to be smart to jump on and off the ropes as a monkey. You know where smart wrestlers are? In Guerrero family. It's tradition. It's technique. It's lucha style at its very foundation. Rey is a disgrace to lucha, Styles is a disgrace to real wrestling and belongs in the circus. But that's who is valued here, not Chavo. So Rey gets a title match. AJ replies that if Chavo wants to prove himself so badly, unlike management, Styles will give him that opportunity - tonight, one on one. Chavo wants the WCW US Championship on the line - and Styles agrees! 13 days before the Spring Stampede! (80)

Another video vignette about Bobby Roode's imminent debut: he could have been a star anywhere - in movie industry, in TV shows, in sitcoms - because he has the looks of a superstar (and he cares about it... a lot). But he chose wrestling. (35)

Match 3: Rob Van Dam vs Matt Sydal. This time Jerry Lynn joins the announcers.  Lynn says he knows RVD inside and out. Knows every move he does and every tactic he uses. They've had some epic matches in ECW and are ready to figure things out once and for all in front of the WCW crowd. As for the match: this could have been a PPV-worthy match, but Sydal is still too green. Rob Van Dam blocks Sydal's move on the topr rope and knocks him down with a leg kick. Five Star Frog Splash ends the match in favour of RVD. (9:06, 79)

Post-match, Rob Van Dam provokes Lynn - and it almost comes to a brawl, but they are separated in time. (61)

Sandman backstage interview. "Raven is a master manipulator and everyone knows it. That's why he wants Saturn to solve his problems. But I want Raven, not Saturn. If I have to go through Saturn to have it? I'm ready." (44)

Match 4: Perry Saturn (w/ Raven) vs Claudio Castagnoli. Perry Saturn gets a serious opponent this time around in the form of Claudio Castagnoli, who brought his full technical European arsenal of moves to the ring. Saturn, however, showed that his technical arsenal has not been lost, but even gained from his WWE appearances. The match was even... until not seen by both the referee and Saturn - Raven hits Castagnoli in the face with a chair. Perry puts Castagnoli in Rings of Saturn for the win. (6:39, 79)

The announcers confirm: next week it will be Saturn vs Sandman!

James Mitchell backstage promo. "My sons, Abyss and Mesias, defeated your champions Kazarian and Bentley last week, but didn't get the gold. Now next week another match awaits them... but with the Nitro Tag Team Championship on the line. Abyss and Mesias will bring those titles to salvation!". (53)

Backstage, Rey Mysterio helps AJ Styles prepare for his match against Chavo Guerrero. (77)

Match 5: Goldberg and Chris Hero vs Steve Corino and CW Anderson. Goldberg and Hero formed a pretty good team. Had Castagnoli been on the Horsemen's side, things might have ended differently, but for now Goldberg puts Anderson down with the Spear and finishes things off with the Jackhammer for the win. (14:19, 87)

The announcers roll out matches for the next Nitro: Kazarian and Bentley will defend the Nitro Tag Team Championship against Abyss and Mesias, Perry Saturn will face Sandman, and Jamie Noble will fight against Samoa Joe! We're in for some great show.

Match 6, WCW United States Championship: AJ Styles vs Chavo Guerrero. AJ Styles defends the title against Chavo Guerrero 13 days before the PPV. And the wrestlers give away a main event worthy of this PPV. Chavo Guerrero grabs Styles in a half-Boston crab - AJ reaches the ropes. Chavo starts bragging about his advantage - and gets the Pele kick! Styles Clash attempt... Chavo counters with two rolling suplexes, but the third one is blocked by Styles and hits a knee to the head. AJ hoists Chavo onto his shoulders... hurricanrana by Guerrero! Chavo climbs up on the top rope... Frog Splash... misses! Styles goes for the Styles Clash again but Chavo blocks, hits a low blow and does the Gory Buster. Roll up with legs on the ropes. 1... 2... 3! We have a new WCW United States Champion! (16:27, 87)

Post-match, Chavo Guerrero raises WCW US Championship belt - and that's the end of the show.

WCW RAGE
Episode #18

MCI Center, Washington DC

Overall: 82

LAST WEEK: Shawn Michaels unexpectedly challenges Bret Hart. What will Bret's response be? (78)

CM Punk comes out to the arena and joins the commentators.

Match 1: Alex Wright vs Chris Sabin. Punk says he doesn't understand why Wright is considered a technical wrestler. For WCW? Maybe. But in the indies where Punk has wrestled, he would be considered a slacker with no technique. And Punk would prove that in their semifinal match at the Spring Stampede. As for the match, although Sabin was able to show a couple quick moves, Wright caught him with a German Suplex and then performed a Hangman's Neckbreaker for the win. (5:22, 49)

Post-match, Alex Wright and CM Punk have some staredown.

In a backstage promo Crowbar talks about his attack on Sean O'Haire last week. "All I did was getting revenge! O'Haire thinks he can find someone better to defend WCW World Tag Team Championship with? Tonight I'll prove him wrong in a one-on-one match!". (51)

Backstage, Hugh Morrus chats with road agent Harley Race and promises to teach John Cena a lesson tonight, teach him respect for the business and the locker room. (40)

Match 2, #1 Contendership for WCW Cruiserweight Championship: TAKA Michinoku vs Sonjay Dutt. TAKA Michinoku returns to singles action in WCW and has an immediate shot at a title match if he defeats Sonjay Dutt. The commentators are hailing the fact that Michinoku has had success in Japan and on the independent circuit during his absence from WCW, where he gained experience. And that experience came in handy for him tonight: despite Dutt's very successful performance, Sonjay was unable to break out of the pin after the Michinoku Driver. (11:06, 56)

Backstage, Billy Kidman is getting ready for his match. Christopher Daniels (with Matt Morgan standing behind him for reassurance...) taunts him. Daniels says Kidman hasn't accomplished anything in WCW except squeals from the fans. Daniels will accomplish more in a shorter amount of time. They have a quarterfinal match in the tournament next week. Kidman says he'll prove everything in the ring. 

Brian Kendrick and Paul London backstage. Kendrick is preparing for his match against Mike Awesome to avenge London and advance to the semifinals of the tournament. "Awesome wants to attack non-wrestlers like Joey Styles? Thinks that his size gives him advantage? He'll have the bigger problem tonight." (67)

Match 3: John Cena vs Hugh Morrus. Morrus was more experienced and stronger, and thus much closer to winning and "teaching Cena a lesson", but John unexpectedly dodges a No Laughing Matter and rolls Morrus up in a pin to three! (6:04, 58)

Lance Storm, in an interview with Franchin, reports that Bret Hart is not in the building yet. Lance has no idea that Bret will answer the challenge from Shawn Michaels. (58)

Match 4: Billy Kidman and Hernandez vs Christopher Daniels and 'The Blueprint' Matt Morgan. Each competitor focuses on opponents of their own weight. Kidman goes for the Shooting Star Press, Morgan pushes him down. Hernandez kicks Morgan out of the ring and follows, and in the ring, Daniels lays Kidman out with Angel's Wings for the win. (7:30, 73)

The Rock in-ring promo. "Jarrett only wants to fight in big arenas like the Great American Bash? Rock is ready to fight anywhere: in this ring, in this city, in this town, in any city, at grandma's house in the village, in the store, in the square... And everywhere he's ready to kick Jarrett's ass." He's interrupted by Chris Kanyon. "Enough of this bravado... All people know that The Rock is only willing to fight for a big fee and a suitcase of money. Rock got a suitcase of money and went to Hollywood. Rock got a suitcase of money and went to WCW, forking over all his loyalty to Vince. So at the Spring Stampede you can rest up before the Great American Bash where Jeff kicks your ass. But I have another problem, I don't have a match at the Spring Stampede. Before you got here, I was the center of attention. I was the world champion. All the spotlights are on me. I was on every PPV. Now? I lost the title at Clash of the Champions because of you... I didn't get a rematch... I earned the title shot, but management won't give it to me... And after our match at RAGE 3 months ago, I didn't get a chance to settle accounts with you for everything... Will Spring Stampede be enough of an arena for Chris Kanyon to defeat the great Rock and get the spotlight back on him?". Rock's answer? "Just bring it!". (98)

Match 5: Sean O'Haire vs Crowbar. It was a wild brawl all over the arena. They managed to stay within the rules and not get disqualified or counted out though. Crowbar proved to be a tough opponent, but was unable to counter a Widow Maker from O'Haire. (8:29, 69)

Post-match, Sean O'Haire grabs the mic and says he spent these weeks looking for a decent tag team partner for his match at the Spring Stampede. And he's found a real fighter that few can match. This is how he intends to retain his tag team title belts at the PPV and after it. (73)

Bret Hart arrives at the building but refuses to comment. (79)

Match 6, WCW North American Championship Tournament Second Round: Mike Awesome vs Brian Kendrick. Awesome again makes his way to the ring through the crowd. Kendrick really surprised Awesome with his speed and technique. Awesome had troubles, until he catches Kendrick and throws him back-first into the steel post. Followed by a powerful backbreaker and Awesome Bomb for the win. (14:01, 81)

Post-match, Mike Awesome lightly "shushes" Joey Styles, but it doesn't come to an attack.

Bret Hart is coming out of the locker room. He says he will announce his decision after the next match.

Match 7: The Rock, Sting and Booker T vs Lance Storm, Chris Kanyon and Jeff Jarrett. Lance Storm didn't have Bret Hart in his corner this time. Maybe that played a part? But at the end, The Rock came into the ring after a hot tag and cleared the ring. Jarrett finally got his Rock Bottom and was pinned. (14:21, 78)

Bret Hart comes out for an in-ring promo. Last week Shawn Michaels challenged him to a match. Bret has been thinking about it all week. "I haven't been in the ring in three years. That superkick by the stupid Goldberg ended my career. And more than anything I'd like to get in that ring and make Michaels submit to the Sharpshooter one more time. But unlike Hogan, Michaels and others, I know when you should stop. When you should walk away. I don't want to torture these people with a shadow of myself. They don't deserve it. This crowd is here to watch guys like Lance Storm. Like Elix Skipper. Like Petey Williams. Like Doug Williams and Nigel McGuinness. They are the future. And they'll take the likes of Michaels, Goldberg and The Rock out of the ring. So my answer is no. You want to fight, Shawn? Fight them."...

... Shawn Michaels comes out at the ramp. "You want to make me give up after a Sharpshooter? So far I made you give up two weeks ago..." Hart is angry. HBK: "But I already said... I don't have a problem with Storm. I have a problem with you. And if you can't have a medical clearence to have an official match, it's ok. I don't need an official match. I don't need a referee. I don't need to be declared a winner. I don't need nothing to get in the ring right now and make you listen to Sweet Chin Music." Michaels is coming to the ring!...

... Lance Storm is here to stop him, but HBK knocks him down with a series of punches. Before Shawn can get to Hart, Elix Skipper appears. He is immediately attacked by the American Dragon with a bandaged head. The British Invasion rush out to help - and are attacked by Brian Kendrick and Paul London. A huge brawl ensues. Security guards and referees try to restore order. Don Callis himself intervenes: "Enough! If these people want to see a Michaels vs Hart match, I'll give them one." Bret informs him that he is not a wrestler, has no contract and has no intention of going to the match. Kallis threatens that Hart will then never be able to even show up near the building where RAGE is being held. Callis concludes: "At the Spring Stampede, there will be an 8-man elimination match: HBK, Dragon, Kendrick and London vs Storm, Skipper and the British Invasion. If Michaels' team wins, then at Great American Bash, HBK will get his match against Bret Hart." (93)

Ultimo Dragon released from WCW

WCW has come to terms on the release of Ultimo Dragon.

Ultimo Dragon decided to continue his career in Japan and Mexico and not to be bound by any exclusive agreements.

Edited by Dimos
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #98

First Union Center, Philadelphia, PA

Overall: 87

The new WCW US Champion Chavo Guerrero opens the show and says he finally has a trophy that shows his status. He wasn't believed when he promised to send circus monkey Styles back to the circus. He wasn't believed when he said that experience counts for a lot. And here he stands in the ring as the new WCW United States Champion. He was right about everything!...

... He is interrupted by AJ Styles. Styles congratulates Chavo and remarks that everyone saw exactly how Chavo won. Styles wants a rematch and he wants it tonight! Chavo refuses and says that in WCW, you have to earn the right to have a title shot again. Styles remarks that he gave Chavo a title shot at his first request. Chavo Guerrero: "Haha, that's what I was talking about. Being smart is more important than doing risky deadly corkscrew saults." The champion is about to leave, but is stopped... 

... by the appearance of WCW Commissioner Dusty Rhodes! Dusty informs that he's here deciding who will fight who, not Chavo... And most of all he - like all these people - would like to see a great match Chavo vs AJ one more time!... But that wouldn't be fair, because in 6 days the winner would have a match with a fresh and rested Rey Mysterio waiting for him. So Dusty makes a different decision: at the Spring Stampede, Chavo Guerrero will defend the WCW United States Championship at triple threat against AJ Styles and Rey Mysterio! (85)

Match 1: Fit Finlay vs Colt Cabana. Finlay was much more experienced, so he won without much difficulty, putting Cabana down with a Tombstone. (5:07, 75)

Stacy Keibler backstage interview. "Tonight, my clients will defend the Nitro Tag Team Championship vs Abyss and Mesias. Nitro management want a revenge on my clients because they defeated all of their opponents and make brand look weak. Abyss and Mesias are stronger and bigger. But what happened a week ago won't happen again. My clients are the future of wrestling. And they gonna stay with their titles after tonight." (60)

Match 2: Tajiri vs Homicide (w/ Low Ki). Homicide is trying to get revenge for spitting green mist in his face last week. Tajiri was close to victory. He climbs the top rope to finish his opponent. Low Ki distracts him. Tajiri gets a superplex and a Gringo Killer. (7:01, 68)

Post-match, Homicide and Low Ki start beating up Tajiri, but Kaz Hayashi saves him. (58)

Raven arrives at the building and is surrounded by a group of fans. Raven doesn't really pay much attention to them until he hears the word "Sandman". He then tells people not to especially count on a match with Sandman at the Spring Stampede, because Perry Saturn is going to take care of this problem tonight. (55)

Match 3, WCW Nitro Tag Team Championship: Frankie Kazarian and Matt Bentley (w/ Stacy Keibler) vs Abyss and Mesias (w/ James Mitchell). Frankie Kazarian and Matt Bentley get their first serious opponents since the change in title status - in the form of Abyss and Mesias, who beat them two weeks ago in a non-title match. Abyss and Mesias tried to repeat their success, but this time the champions were more prepared. Stacy Keibler distracted Mesias - and that was enough for Bentley to hit Mesias in the head with a superkick, and Kazarian performed Wave of Future for the win. (10:15, 72)

Post-match, Kazarian and Bentley quickly pick up the belts and run away. Mesias tries to explain himself to a disgruntled Abyss and James Mitchell. The explanation fails, as Abyss grabs Mesias and puts him down with a Black Hole Slam! (52).

Another video vignette about 'Gorgeous' Bobby Roode coming to Nitro. He's not much interested in the brutal wrestling business. For Bobby Roode, it's a ticket to showbiz. (37)

Match 4: Perry Saturn vs Sandman. A match that clearly reeked of the old ECW atmosphere. It was an open match. Raven comes out in midtime. And he hits Sandman with a Raven Effect at ringside, while Saturn or the referee doesn't pay attention. Raven rolls Sandman back into the ring where Saturn finishes him off with the Spicolli Driver for the win. (10:33, 70)

Post-match, Raven orders Saturn to finish Sandman off, but Perry isn't about to take anyone's orders. While they argue, Sandman regains consciousness and clears the ring with a singapore cane! (54)

Match 5: Chris Hero vs Shannon Moore. Moore tries his best, but Hero catches him with a KO Elbow for the win. (5:11, 76)

Post-match, CW Anderson shows up at the ramp with the mic. "Hero, you thought you were in trouble with Castagnoli, then Corino... But it's going to be me who takes you out! Because I'm the enforcer. That's what I do." (73)

Gene Okerlund interviews Rob Van Dam and Jerry Lynn before their match at Spring Stampede. Lynn says he and RVD have had some good matches. They know each other inside and out. And they can present another classic match - this time for the WCW audience. RVD laughs at Lynn, saying that he is stuck in the past. Rob is focused on the future. In that future, he's going to come "out of his extreme pants" and become a true superstar for the mass audience, one of a kind. Jerry Lynn is forever in ECW - and should have stayed there. Rob Van Dam is built for the big arenas and for winning. And he'll prove it at the Spring Stampede. (66)

Match 6: Samoa Joe vs Jamie Noble. Joe and Noble got a chance to steal the show at the main event. Any other time this match would go to the PPV, but this month there is no more place on the card. Which is becoming more and more common since the brand split... So fans have a right to expect many big matches on free TV. As for this particular match, we were treated to almost 15 minutes of pure action, where Noble again surprised everyone, including Joe, with his preparation, technique and arsenal of various takedowns. Noble grabbed Joe in a Guillotine Choke at the end, but this time Samoa Joe was prepared: he got out by lifting Noble up and slamming him into the steel post, then finished him off with a Muscle Buster for the win. (14:47, 84)

WCW Commissioner Dusty Rhodes invites WCW World Heavyweight Champion Goldberg and Steve Corino to the ring to settle the final formalities before their match in 6 days. The wrestlers sign the contract. Steve Corino takes the microphone: "This is the event you've all been waiting for. I know many of you underestimate me. Like they underestimated me everywhere - in ECW, in Japan, in the indies. They all thought I was one of many... But everywhere I've gone - I've been successful. All my previous successes have prepared me for this day. The day I become the ultimate world champion. WCW World Heavyweight champion. This is my destiny.". Goldberg responds: "You may feel like you're smarter than everyone else. That you're ready. That you've got the Horsemen on your side, that you've got it all figured out... I've beaten worse opponents than you. I remember the nWo, I remember all kinds of bad guys. I had it much worse. And you may think your destiny awaits you at the Spring Stampede. But every one of those people know: at the Spring Stampede, you're just going to be next." Goldberg and Corino come face to face in front of the WCW World title belt - and that's the end of the show. (99)

WCW RAGE
Episode #19

Selland Arena, Fresno, CA

Overall: 85

Match 1: Doug Williams vs American Dragon. Doug Williams and American Dragon have been eliminated from the tournament for the vacant WCW North American Championship but meet in a face-to-face match tonight. The announcers say that both wrestlers are amazing with their technique and both will no doubt still get their chances to become champion. The match was full of dynamic interceptions and nearfalls, but just one mistake allowed Dragon to take Williams into his new LeBell Lock hold for the win. (6:36, 77)

Backstage, Jeff Jarrett is bragging to some girl about his accomplishments. Yun Yang walks by and taunts Jeff about being pinned by The Rock last week. Jarrett attacks Yang and challenges him to a match. (51)

The Hart group is backstage. Petey Williams says he was left out of the 8-man tag team match at the Spring Stampede, but he will prove his usefulness to the team. He will challenge Shawn Michaels to a match tonight. HBK probably won't even appear on the PPV at all after his Canadian Destroyer. (57)

Match 2: Jeff Jarrett vs Yun Yang. Jeff Jarrett was surprised by the speed and technique of his opponent, but experience played its part and Jarrett catches Yang with the Stroke for the win. (5:35, 74)

Post-match, Jarrett takes the mic: "You all want to laugh at me? You want to boo me? Then see what I'll do to your hero The Rock at the Great American Bash!" (80)

Backstage, Franchin asks Sean O'Haire about his tag team partner. In just 3 days they will defend the WCW World Tag Team Championship. Sean refuses to reveal his name, saying that everyone will find out about him at the Spring Stampede. Mike Sanders intervenes and says that at first they've been looking at former members of the Natural Born Thrillers, but they're all not good enough. There weren't any worthy candidates backstage either. But they found someone who is worthy of wearing one of the championship belts. (54)

The video package shows a comparison of the characteristics and accomplishments of Billy Kidman and Christopher Daniels. Both wrestlers are looking to break out of the midcard - and a new WCW North American Championship shot could be a great chance for them. These wrestlers will face off in the second round tonight. (65)

Match 3: Shawn Michaels vs Petey Williams. Petey Williams tried very hard to earn some points in front of his Canadian-British friends and defeat Shawn Michaels. Petey did a Canadian Destroyer attempt, but HBK was able to avoid it and hit the Sweet Chin Music for the win. (8:33, 79)

Alex Wright is at his home gym practicing before his tournament semifinal against CM Punk at the Spring Stampede. Wright says the WCW North American title is a huge opportunity for him. A chance to finally make his way to the top of WCW after so many years in low card. (58)

Franchin does a "sit-down" interview in the ring with TAKA Michinoku about his return. Michinoku talks about the traditions of Japanese wrestling, Michinoku Pro, which he took the name after. He also talks about how he's not just a wrestler anymore. They founded Kaintai Dojo to give a way into the big business for talented Japanese guys. So he doesn't have a lot of time on his hands. But the WCW Cruiserweight Championship is a big prize. So TAKA Michinoku came back for a short time to win it and add to his collection of titles... WCW Cruiserweight Champion Elix Skipper interrupts him. "You might be a big fish in Japan and indy, but it's a different league here. At the Spring Stampede I'm busy helping my mentor Bret Hart, but at the Great American Bash I'll be happy to put the title on the line and send you back to Japan." (50)

Match 4, WCW North American Championship Tournament Second Round: Billy Kidman vs Christopher Daniels (w/ 'The Blueprint' Matt Morgan). Two things happened during the match: the ref sends Matt Morgan backstage, taking away Christopher's competitive advantage. Also, Mike Awesome showed up and joined the announcers, sitting down next to a scared Joey Styles. As for the match itself, Daniels makes the mistake of missing the Best Moonsault Ever. Kidman, making the Shooting Star Press, makes no such mistake. Billy advances to the semifinals! (12:32, 82)

Post-match, Kidman is immideately attacked by Mike Awesome! A stiff beatdown and Awesome Bomb puts Kidman down. Billy needs a medical help. And it's just 3 days before the PPV! (70)

Backstage, John Cena is packing a bag when Hugh Morrus approaches him. Morrus says that just one mistake led to his defeat a week ago, and Morrus wants a rematch. Cena: "I used to always think I had to answer every challenge. But then I thought - why? Because that's the way it's done? I'm not interested in your rules. Moreover, I don't have a match tonight, so I intend to rest and I'm going to a nightclub." (51)

Backstage, Brian Kendrick and Paul London prepare for their match tonight against Lance Storm and Elix Skipper. (72)

Match 5: Sean O'Haire (w/ Mike Sanders) vs Booker T. Sean O'Haire faces one of his future opponents, Booker T, ahead of their tag team match at the PPV. Booker T grabs the lead. Mike Sanders tries to interfere but is stopped by Sting! O'Haire is distracted by this - and becomes the victim of an Axe Kick. Booker T picks up the victory. (8:53, 74)

Post-match, Mike Sanders grabs the microphone: "You won tonight. But wait until you see our surprise at the Spring Stampede!" (73)

CM Punk backstage promo. "Alex Wright is a good worker. But he's not a star. And he never will be. I've been preparing for this moment my whole life. And in just a few years of my career, I'm going to accomplish more than Wright has in his entire life." (72)

Chris Kanyon in-ring promo. "Where's your hero The Rock? He's not even in the building tonight. He's probably on a talk show somewhere or casting in Hollywood. Because he doesn't care about you. The only thing he cares about is money. But you're all cheering him and not the people who are here every day in that ring... You know what? At the Spring Stampede, I'm gonna show you what your star is made of. Because entertainment and stardom won't help him avoid my innovative and violent moves, and it won't help him survive the Flatliner" (100)

Match 6: Brian Kendrick and Paul London vs Lance Storm (w/ Bret Hart) and Elix Skipper. At the end, the wrestlers block each other's finishers. Kendrick avoids the Maple Leaf and rolls Storm up into a pin for two... Lance breaks free and knocks Brian out of the ring. And in the ring, London slams Skipper and performs Shooting Star Press for the win. (13:03, 79)

Right after the bell, The British Invasion  attacks the winners. The 5-on-2 beatdown (featuring Bret Hart) lasts until Shawn Michaels and American Dragon run into the ring. The faces clear the ring and HBK catches Hart! He's gonna put The Hitman him into the Sharpshooter! Lance Storm grabs Bret's arms and pulls his mentor out of the ring. Bret Hart and the company retreat to the ramp. (69)

World Championship Wrestling presents...

WCW SPRING STAMPEDE 2003

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/f62c2f82-5d9a-4078-b0e7-0a5b1a1646ac/d8fqjj7-ad8045cf-0faa-4937-835f-8c55251d165f.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2Y2MmMyZjgyLTVkOWEtNDA3OC1iMGU3LTBhNWIxYTE2NDZhY1wvZDhmcWpqNy1hZDgwNDVjZi0wZmFhLTQ5MzctODM1Zi04YzU1MjUxZDE2NWYucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.gXLWCKZIrrx7mGJNkDKKWI0HPvju1ZbRM5qty1ccmBc

Final Card

WCW World Heavyweight Championship
Goldberg vs Steve Corino

WCW United Stated Championship
Chavo Guerrero vs AJ Styles vs Rey Mysterio

WCW World Tag Team Championship
Sean O'Haire and the mystery partner vs Booker T and Sting

The Rock vs Chris Kanyon

Chris Hero vs CW Anderson

If Team HBK wins, Shawn Michaels gets 1-on-1 match vs Bret Hart at Great American Bash
Shawn Michaels, American Dragon, Brian Kendrick and Paul London vs Lance Storm, Elix Skipper and The British Invasion

Rob Van Dam vs Jerry Lynn

WCW North American Championship Tournament Semifinals
Mike Awesome vs Billy Kidman

CM Punk vs Alex Wright

Raven vs Sandman

Kaz Hayashi vs Low Ki

• Like 1

Goldberg
vs Steve Corino

WCW United Stated Championship
Chavo Guerrero
vs AJ Styles vs Rey Mysterio

WCW World Tag Team Championship
Sean O'Haire and the mystery partner vs Booker T and Sting

The Rock vs Chris Kanyon

Chris Hero vs CW Anderson

If Team HBK wins, Shawn Michaels gets 1-on-1 match vs Bret Hart at Great American Bash
Shawn Michaels, American Dragon, Brian Kendrick and Paul London
vs Lance Storm, Elix Skipper and The British Invasion

Rob Van Dam vs Jerry Lynn

Mike Awesome
vs Billy Kidman

CM Punk
vs Alex Wright

Raven vs Sandman

Kaz Hayashi vs Low Ki

• 5 months later...

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/f62c2f82-5d9a-4078-b0e7-0a5b1a1646ac/d8fqjj7-ad8045cf-0faa-4937-835f-8c55251d165f.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2Y2MmMyZjgyLTVkOWEtNDA3OC1iMGU3LTBhNWIxYTE2NDZhY1wvZDhmcWpqNy1hZDgwNDVjZi0wZmFhLTQ5MzctODM1Zi04YzU1MjUxZDE2NWYucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.gXLWCKZIrrx7mGJNkDKKWI0HPvju1ZbRM5qty1ccmBc

WCW Spring Stampede 2003

Coliseum, Charlotte, NC

Announcers: Mike Tenay, Jerry Lawler and Joey Styles
Overall: 85

Opening video. (80)

Match 1: Rob Van Dam vs Jerry Lynn. These wrestlers have quite a history of personal confrontations, but this is their first match for the WCW crowd. After several attempts to win by using one technique or another, the wrestlers decided to gain an advantage by using a chair. The referee tried to prevent a rules violation. Lynn ducks a RVD with a German suplex. 1...2. Lynn sets up for the Cradle Piledriver, RVD blocks it and ducks Lynn with a spinning heel kick. Split-legged moonsault.... misses! DDT by Lynn! 1...2. Another Cradle Piledriver attempt, again a block from RVD. Back suplex by RVD. Rob quickly jumps to the ropes - 5 Star Frog Splash! 1...2...3. (12:29, 73)

Post-match, Rob Van Dam is victorious, but he's pretty exhausted from the match. And he seems to be looking at his opponent with respect. Maybe for the first time.

Match 2: Kaz Hayashi vs Low Ki. There was a puroresu style feel from the match. During the match, Homicide showed up outside the ring and distracted Hayashi. Лaz gets distracted - and gets a gut-wrench suplex for 2. Low Ki hits a knee to the back of the head and a neckbreaker for 2. Hayashi reverses the Ki Krusher to a small package for 2. Hayashi Cutter out of nowhere! 1...2... Homicide puts Low Ki's foot on the ropes. Hayashi tries to get Homicide, but gets an eye rake. Hayashi turns around and gets a stiff kick from Low Ki. Ki Krusher! 1...2...3. (9:15, 71)

Match 3, WCW North American Championship Tournament Semifinal: CM Punk vs Alex Wright. Alex Wright has once again shown that he is a very good technical wrestler and was clearly underrated before. Maybe this is a new chapter in his career? But CM Punk is a serious contender. Punk catches Wright on a backbreaker and a pin. 1...2. Punk climbs the ropes. Wright attacks him and delivers a hurricanrana off the ropes! Both men are up after some struggle, but Punk gets the first hit. Some punches and a back kick into a spinning heel kick, swinging neckbreaker. CM Punk goes for the Anaconda Vice, Wright blocks and ducks Punk with a DDT. Wright gets the top rope and comes off with a missile dropkick. 1...2. Wright goes for a German suplex, but Punk turns it into a roll up. 1...2. Wright rolls out of it and kicks Punk dead in the head! Punk just falls! Wright pins. 1...2...NO! Alex Wright lifts the groggy Punk and puts him into the corner for some more chest kicks. He puts him up on the turnbuckle, some high risk maneuver attempt... Punk blocks it. Pepsi Plunge out of nowhere! 1...2...3. (8:06, 72)

Match 4, WCW North American Championship Tournament Semifinal: Mike Awesome vs Billy Kidman. Mike Awesome, former IWGP champion, was clearly a favorite. He starts to dominate right away by throwing Kidman into steel steps. Kidman starts to fight back and runs right into a clothesline. One more vicious lariat! 1...2...NO. Awesome with a deadly sitout powerbomb. 1...2...NO. Awesome Bomb is escaped, but Awesome hits a spinebuster. 1...2...NO. Mike Awesome starts to get angry. Awesome sets up steel steps at ringside. The referee is trying to stop him. Standing spinebuster on the steep steps! Back to the ring... Pin by Awesome. 1...2...NO! Now Awesome is furious! He brings a table to the ring and sets it up. Mike is about to perform an Awesome Bomb through the table.... The ref gets in his way. Mike leaves Kidman and starts arguing with the ref. Billy takes advantage of this and hits a dropkick to the back. Awesome falls right onto the table. Kidman quickly seizes the opportunity, jumps onto the ropes and delivers a Shooting Star Press through the table! 1...2...3. (13:16, 82)

Post-match, WCW officials try to help Mike Awesome, but he pushes them away! He doesn’t need it. And he’s angry. (64)

Backstage, Billy Kidman is walking down the hallway after his victory match. He meets Rey Mysterio, who is on his way for his match. Kidman wishes him luck. (78)

Match 5, Extreme Rules: Raven vs Sandman. It was a big classic ECW style brawl. Both wrestlers went to the ringside pretty fast. Russian leg sweep attempt into the guardrail by Raven, blocked, Sandman does a Russian leg sweep of his own! Back to the ring. Pin by Sandman. 1...2. Sandman goes looking for a weapon. He gets a chair, but Raven hits him with a dropkick! Raven nails him with the chair. 1...2. Raven stands over him and taunts him. Sandman fights back, and levels Raven with a clothesline, and again and a 3rd. 4th and 5th! Perry Saturn makes his way to the ringside. Sandman is distracted. Raven hits him with a Raven Effect! 1...2...NO! Raven orders Saturn to finish Sandman, but Perry refuses to take action. He's here only to watch. Raven starts to argue and just gives Saturn (who's on the apron) a chair. Sandman attacks Raven and hits a Russian leg sweep! 1...2...NO! Now Sandman has a staredown with Saturn. Raven pushes him into Saturn (and chair) and hits a Raven Effect once again. 1...2...3. (8:25, 66)

Match 6, WCW RAGE Tag Team Championship: Sean O’Haire (w/ Mike Sanders) and mystery partner vs Booker T and Sting. Sean O’Haire and Mike Sanders are waiting for the mystery partner. And it’s… KEN SHAMROCK! Former UFC champion is back in WCW! Shamrock and O'Haire dominated most of the match. As soon as Sting and Booker tried to grab the lead, Mike Sanders would immediately interfere. At the end O'Haire goes for the Senton Bomb on Booker. Sting knocks him out of the ring. Shamrock ducks Sting with a belly-to-belly suplex and grabs him in an Ankle Lock! Booker immediately breaks the hold. But Shamrock grabs him in the Ankle Lock as well! Sting hits Ken with a flying forearm, and Booker instantly rolls him up into a pin for three quick counts. We have the NEW WCW RAGE Tag Team Champions! (10:41, 81)

Post-match, Sean O’Haire is furious with his loss. Ken Shamrock not so much. (80)

Match 7: Chris Hero vs CW Anderson. Chris Hero starts to work on CW Anderson weak spots right away, but gets overpowered. Anderson hits a big boot. Backbreaker by Anderson for two. Hero escapes the ring to regroup. CW Anderson follows. Hero makes CW hits the steel steps. Back into the ring. 1...2. Hero throws a kick, but Anderson catches his foot. DDT! 1...2. CW Anderson brings Hero down with a powerslam. CW prepares for a spinebuster... Hero blocks and hits Anderson with a series of strikes. Piledriver by Hero! 1...2...NO! Second piledriver by Hero! 1...2...NO! CW Anderson kicks out in a very last moment. Both wrestlers are up. Hero goes for a third piledriver... CW Anderson blocks and ready to hit a spinebuster... Hero blocks... KO Elbow by Hero! And another one! 1...2...3. It wasn't an easy match for Hero. (12:13, 83)

Match 8, If Team HBK wins, Shawn Michaels gets 1-on-1 match vs Bret Hart at Great American Bash: Team HBK (Shawn Michaels, American Dragon, Brian Kendrick and Paul London) vs Team Hitman (Lance Storm, Elix Skipper and The British Invasion). I forgot to tell: it's an elimination match. The match starts with a face-off between Shawn Michaels and Lance Storm. But after that both teams rotate through their members, allowing each competitor to shine in their unique style. Brian Kendrick attempts Sliced Bread #2 on Elix Skipper, but Doug Williams catches leg of Kendrick. Elix capitalizes and hits Play of the Day to pin Kendrick. Brian Kendrick is eliminated.

Paul London enters with a flurry of offense. A couple of fast moves, including Standing Shooting Star Press on Nigel McGuinness. 1..2... Doug Williams breaks the pin. London kicks Doug out of the ring. Nigel rolls London up... and Lance Storm from ringside helps to hold Paul... 1...2...3. Paul London is eliminated!

Things aren't looking good for Shawn Michaels and his team. American Dragon enters for a technical showdown with Doug Williams and manages to put him in a Cattle Mutilation submission. HBK takes care of attempted interferences from team Hart. Williams struggles but eventually taps out, marking Team HBK's first elimination.

Nigel McGuinness enters and starts to dominate over Dragon. After a while... hot tag to HBK. Sweet Chin Music! 1...2...3. Nigel McGuinness is eliminated.

Elix Skipper and American Dragon continue the match. Dragon looked better, but when he was at the top rope, Lance Storm hits him with a chair. Top-rope hurricanrana by Skipper and roll up pin. 1...2...3.

A long showdown between Shawn Michaels and Elix Skipper. It showed that Elix is more and more ready for bigger matches with worthy opponents. HBK avoids Skipper's high-flying maneuvers and connects with a decisive flying forearm. Flying Elbow by HBK! 1...2...NO! Lance Storm tries to interfere, the ref stops him. Bret Hart gives Elix a chair, but HBK kicks Sweet Chin Music into a chair! 1...2...3.

Final showdown. Shawn Michaels and Lance Storm. The atmosphere is electric. They engage in a technical masterpiece, with Storm targeting Michaels' knee, looking to lock in the Canadian Maple Leaf submission. Michaels fights through the pain, countering Storm’s submission attempts. In a dramatic sequence, Michaels evades Storm’s superkick attempt and hits a desperation Sweet Chin Music. 1...2...NO! A couple more counters... and Storm manages to put HBK into a Maple Leaf! Long struggles. Bret Hart trash talks Shawn during it. Michaels manages to grab the ropes. But Lance takes his back into the center... and puts into a Sharpshooter!!! Bret Hart is happy. Shawn reverses hold into a roll up. 1...2... Storm kicks out. And immediately gets a second Sweet Chin Music. 1...2...3. It was a tough match for HBK, but he wins and will get Bret Hart 1-on-1 at Great American Bash. (13:47, 83)

Steve Corino backstage interview. "I'm sick of nobody taking me seriously. No one believes in me beating Goldberg. Look, I've been in this business since 1994. Longer than Goldberg. I've competed in every conceivable match, at every arena. I'm a former ECW and NWA World champion dammit! I am the leader of the most powerful force in professional wrestling today, Horsemen. And tonight I'm going after the WCW World Heavyweight Championship!” (68)

Match 9, WCW United States Championship: Chavo Guerrero vs AJ Styles vs Rey Mysterio. Chavo Guerrero tried to play it smart. He leaves the ring almost right away and tries to be involved into a match as little as possible. Rey Mysterio and AJ start. Soon enough Chavo gets back in the ring. Rey takes him down with a springboard armdrag. Rey at the top rope. AJ attacks him and goes for a superplex, Chavo turns it into a Tower of Doom! He pins Rey. 1...2. Pins AJ. 1...2. Chavo goes to the top rope. Frog Splash on Rey! 1...2. Styles breaks it. Chavo gets crotched on top by AJ. Pele kick! Chavo falls to the ring side. Rey with a dropkick to the back of AJ. Styles falls on the second rope. 6-1-9! Rey goes for a West Coast Pop, but Chavo grabs him for the leg. He pulls Rey to the ringside and strikes with the WCW US belt! Chavo is back in the ring. Gory Bomb on AJ! 1...2...NO! Chavo is on the top rope again. Rey is back! He fights Chavo. Chavo kicks him away, Rey falls head-first into a guard rail. But AJ is up - Styles Clash of the top rope! 1...2...3. We have the NEW WCW US Champion! (15:59, 86)

Match 10: The Rock vs Chris Kanyon. Chris Kanyon was innovative as always. The crowd was on The Rock side a lot. Kanyon performs a modified backbreaker. 1...2. Kanyon grabs a standing armbar, but The Rock fights out. DDT by The Rock! But it takes too long to cover and only get two. Kanyon fights back with the chops and gets a high-crotch sitout facebuster! 1...2...NO! Kanyon goes to the top rope... Moonsault! 1...2...NO! The Rock fights back and lays the smackdown. Sharpshooter attempt... Kanyon rolls up and puts The Rock into an inverted Boston crab! Rock grabs the ropes. Kanyon clocks The Rock with an elbow, but Rock kips up and catches him with a spinebuster and People’s Elbow. Jeff Jarrett makes his way to the ringside. The Rock is distracted and goes right into a Flatliner. 1...2...NO! He breaks out at the very last moment! Kanyon argues with the referee. He turns back and... ROCK BOTTOM! 1...2... Jeff Jarrett pulls the ref out of the ring. Rock is furious. He runs after Jeff and right around the corner gets a chair shot from Kanyon! Back to the ring. Flatliner again! 1...2...3. (14:43, 91)

Match 11, WCW World Heavyweight Championship: Goldberg vs Steve Corino. Corino attacks the champion before the bell and gains the advantage. Goldberg is strong. He casually moves out of the way of a top-rope dropkick from Corino, then clotheslines him down. Corino have a couple more attempts to grab the lead, but no success. He leaves the ring and seriously considers walking away! Back into the ring. Corino hits a codebreaker and tries to put Goldberg into a Figure-Four Leglock. Goldberg reverses out of it. Powerslam by Goldberg! Corino leaves the ring again, but this time Goldberg follows him and attacks him on the ramp. A little brawl on the ramp and at the ringside. Corino hits a Russian leg sweep into the guard rail. Choke with a cable. Back in the ring. Superkick by Corino! 1...2. Old School Expulsion attempt... blocked by Goldberg. Superkick by Goldberg! 1...2...NO! Goldberg goes for a Spear, Corino dodges and the ref eats it! Low blow by Corino!  Steve goes for a title belt... Strike to the head! Pinfall. 1...2...NO! Corino is furious. He knocks down the referee again and grabs the belt. Missed shot... Spear by Goldberg! CW Anderson and Claudio Castagnoli run to the ring! Goldberg tries to fight back, but fails. Chris Hero runs in to save! He has a chair! Chairshot to Anderson, chairshot to Claudio! Corino is furious. He turns around... right into a Spear! Jackhammer! 1...2...3. (13:50, 84)

• Like 1

dde01ig-179223a0-b54e-49cd-bfe3-7e67e27a
WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #99

BI-LO Center, Greenville, SC

Flashbacks from Spring Stampede, where Steve Corino almost became the new WCW World Heavyweight Champion (with a help from fellow Horsemen), but Chris Hero made a save for Goldberg. (81)

Right from the start, angry Steve Corino shows up. Corino talks about how near he was from fulfilling his dream and becoming WCW World Heavyweight Champion. He came up just a little short. Chris Hero ruined everything for him. Corino demands justice and wants another match against Goldberg - anytime, anywhere. But the challenge is answered...

... by Chris Hero! "You want to blame me for your defeat? All I did was make sure everything was fair. I wanted to make sure it was truly a one-on-one match. You want another match with Goldberg? I got news for you, I beat Castagnoli, I beat Anderson. Now I rightfully have a match with you. At the Great American Bash." (87)

Match 1: Kaz Hayashi and Jamie Noble vs Homicide and Low Ki. Hayashi and Noble, just like the good old days of the Jung Dragons, are back together again. In an excellent and open match, Noble blocks Homicide's Gringo Killer - and puts him in a Guillotine Choke for the win. (8:14, 78)

James Mitchell and Abyss backstage interview. As always, only Mitchell speaks. "Mesias showed weakness and proved to be undeserving. I'm glad you'll be seeing no more of him here." Mitchell says that Abyss is feared by everyone and that's why he doesn't get a chance in the Nitro ring. But that's all about to change. Because now Abyss will be creating chances for himself. (60)

Match 2: 'Gorgeous' Bobby Roode vs Super Crazy. Bobby Roode makes his Nitro debut. Roode acts like a supermodel the entire match: posing, refusing to fight, and constantly appealing to the ref. Roode even leaves the ring because Crazy - OMG - is about to punch him in the face! While Crazy is discussing the situation with the ref, Roode suddenly gets back in the ring and rolls him up with his feet on the ropes. 1-2-3 - Bobby Roode picks up the victory in his debut match! (5:23,50)

Raven and Perry Saturn come into the building together. They have a tag team match tonight - qualifying for the WCW Nitro Tag Team Championship contenders match. (62)

Match 3: Fit Finlay vs Julio Dinero. The experienced Finlay confidently finishes the match with the Tombstone. (3:35, 72)

Post-match, Finlay grabs the mic and addresses Abyss, "You want a chance? You want an opponent? I'm at your service because I love to fight!". (63)

Rob Van Dam makes his way out and calls Jerry Lynn to the ring. Lynn comes out, ready for a fight. But Rob says there will be no fight tonight. Jerry is one of the toughest opponents in RVD's entire career. And last night's match showed that. No one Rob has ever had it so hard against before. RVD talks about how they made another classic and gave the fans a reason to talk about them. Rob respects Lynn for that and offers peace. RVD extends his hand...

... Jerry Lynn shakes it. Lynn and Rob Van Dam express their respect for each other. Lynn is about to leave the ring, but RVD holds him up! Jerry gets ready for the sneaky punch again.... but Rob replies that that's not all he wanted to talk about. Rob Van Dam makes Jerry Lynn an offer: challenge Kazarian and Bentley for the WCW Nitro Tag Team Championship together! The fans love the idea. So does Jerry Lynn. (75)

Match 4: Chris Hero vs Air Paris. Chris dodges a jumping kick and knocks his opponent out with a KO Elbow, and finishes him off with Hero's Welcome for the win. (4:37, 77)

Post-match, Chris Hero doesn't have time to properly recover from the match as he is attacked by Steve Corino! Old School Expulsion! "You wanted a match, Hero? You got it!". (76)

Ric Flair and Dustin Rhodes backstage interview. They have a tag team match tonight. Flair recalls how many times he shared the ring with Dustin's father. Now he's on the same side of the ring as his son. And they're going for gold - tag team gold! (66)

Match 5: Rey Mysterio vs Claudio Castagnoli. It was Rey's speed vs Castagnoli's technique and size. Btw, these guys have awful chemistry. Rey targeted Castagnoli's legs and was able to successfully dodge his punches. Castagnoli catches Rey on his shoulders at the end, but Rey performs Hurricanrana for the win. (9:47, 73)

Post-match, Rey Mysterio is destroyed by a crushing shot with a chair! It's Chavo Guerrero! More chair shots and screams "It's all because of you, because of you!" (77)

Backstage, WCW US Champion AJ Styles arrives at the building. He accepts congratulations from the fans on his victory last night. Suddenly, everyone goes quiet... because Samoa Joe shows up! Standing behind him are a smirking Homicide and Low Ki. Styles tensed up, but Joe came in to talk. "Bravo-bravo, AJ. But it's time for a real opponent. No one has been able to beat me in a singles match yet. I deserve a Title shot." Styles doesn't feel comfortable, but accepts the challenge. (77)

Gene Okerlund catches Chavo Guerrero backstage and demands answers. Chavo blames Rey for his loss of the WCW United States Championship last night. Mysterio keeps creating problems for Chavo. It's time to end this once and for all. (63)

Match 6, WCW Nitro Tag Team Championship Contender's Match Qualifying: Ric Flair and Dustin Rhodes vs Raven and Perry Saturn. The announcers tell us the news: Rob Van Dam and Jerry Lynn get a tag team titles match at the Great American Bash as a reward for an awesome match at the Spring Stampede. As for the rest, six teams will meet in three matches against each other. The winners will have a three-team match at the first Nitro after the PPV - the winners will be the next #1 contenders for the WCW Nitro Tag Team Championship and get a titles shot at Bash at the Beach. Now to the match... Rhodes and Flair probably would have had a tougher time, but Raven didn't give a shit and kept Saturn in the ring the entire match. In the end, even Perry is pissed off by this. He argues with Raven - at which point Flair rolls him up into a Figure-Four Leglock. Raven tries to finally intervene, but is restrained by Rhodes. Saturn gives up. (15:11, 83)

==============================================

Rage-logo-77640E09F8-seeklogo.com.png
WCW RAGE
Episode #20

Coliseum, Greensboro, NC

Bret Hart opens the show. He reminds us that HBK's team won last night - and now the rules of the match require Bret Hart to have a match against Shawn Michaels at Great American Bash. Hart realizes that everyone would like to see this match. Because Bret is someone who is a pleasure to watch in the ring. He's had five-star matches. And it would be a guaranteed match of the year or close to it.... if it would happen. But it won't. Goldberg's stupid kick ended his career in 2000. Bret Hart shows a paper from a physician that forbids him from entering the ring. "According to this paper, every next minute in the match could kill me.... And you don't exactly deserve me to die in front of you in this ring. Therefore, there will be no match! It's over." (76)

Match 1: TAKA Michinoku vs TJ Perkins. TAKA is #1 contender for the WCW Cruiserweight Championship. Shane Helms joins the announcers. He reminds that Skipper has never beaten him cleanly. And Shane doesn't like that he didn't get another title shot, but the returning Michinoku did. Don Callis agrees - and sets up a Helms-Michinoku match at the next RAGE, where the winner will get a title shot against Skipper! As for the match, young Perkins was not a serious opponent for TAKA and lost after the Michinoku Driver. (5:24, 58)

Backstage, Alex Wright expresses his respect for American Dragon after his 8-man match at the PPV. Dragon and HBK brawled in the minority for a long time, which impressed Alex. Wright and Dragon will have a match together tonight against the British Invasion. (67)

Match 2: Billy Kidman vs Petey Williams. After making it to the finals of the WCW North American Championship tournament, Billy Kidman gets Petey Williams as his opponent. Williams makes Kidman try his best, but Billy avoids the Canadian Destroyer and performs the Kid Krusher. Shooting Star Press from Billy ends the match with the win. (4:32, 76)

Post-match, another finalist CM Punk enters the arena. "That's great! Great match, Billy!" Punk does a promo to Kidman where he endorses his straight-edge lifestyle and says they are a lot alike. But Kidman makes that mistake where he indulges these people in everything. He performs for the fans. But fans are not straight-edge. So their dirty habits gets transferred to Kidman. It contaminates Kidman. And that's why Billy's been stuck in WCW his whole career. Whereas CM Punk will go to the Great American Bash and become the first WCW North American Champion - accomplishing more in one year in WCW than Kidman has in his entire career. (84)

Christopher Daniels backstage interview. He has a non-title match against Goldberg. And while most would dread such a match... Daniels is happy about it. Because if he pins Goldberg tonight, he'll book his spot among the top contenders for the title. (69)

Match 3: Jeff Jarrett vs Sonjay Dutt. At first, Jarrett underestimated his opponent. Sonjay did some quick moves, which pissed Jeff off and made him take the match more seriously. Jarrett manages to catch Dutt with a Stroke for the win. (4:35, 73)

Post-match, Jeff grabs his guitar and is about to punish the rookie... but The Rock runs out and chases Jarrett away! Rock helps Dutt up. Dutt is delighted and surprised. (66)

Ken Shamrock makes his way to the ring! The fans are excited. He thanks the crowd for the opportunity to once again experience what it's like to be in a WCW ring. It's an unforgettable feeling. Nothing compares to it. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to become the tag team champion last night. But he still got the joy of performing. Now it's time to get back to his MMA career and other things. Ken is about to leave...

... but Sean O'Haire shows up! He's pissed. Sean invited Ken over to help him retain his titles - and he came just to show off, loses everything, and says 'thanks and goodbye?'. That's it? "If I knew you were such a p****, I would have invited someone else!". Shamrock: "What did you call me? Why don't you come to the ring and show me what a p**** I am." O'Haire is ready to go to the ring, but is stopped and discouraged by Mike Sanders. So we've got only a staredown. (88)

Match 4: Chris Kanyon vs Yun Yang. After defeating The Rock the day before, Kanyon was given an easier opponent - Yun Yang. Yang tried his best, but a Flatliner from Kanyon ended the match with a frustrating result for him. (4:23, 78)

Post-match, Chris Kanyon grabs the mic: "I beated The Rock night before. I beated every one of your stars. I am the #1 contender for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. But when will I get the shot? It's fair to you? F*** you!". Kanyon drops the mic and leaves the ring. (85)

Shawn Michaels arrives at the building - and is told about Bret Hart's refusal of the match. HBK mocks Bret's "doctor's paperwork". "According to the rules of the match, which everyone agreed to, Bret has to do the match. I'm not interested in what else he comes up with. There will be a Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart match at Great American Bash." (80)

Mike Awesome makes his way through the crowd - and goes to Joey Styles. Mike Awesome heared what Styles was talking about him at Spring Stampede. He also remembers how Styles was the one who baited the entire ECW roaster against Awesome when he jumped to WCW. Awesome grabs Joey again and prepares to deal with him... Don Callis gets up and orders Mike to stop. Callis didn't bring him back to RAGE to attack the announcers. Awesome lets Styles go and switches to Callis... "Who are you to give me orders?". Kick to the gut and Awesome Bomb on Callis through the announcing table! Mike Awesome leaves the arena and Callis needs serious medical attention. (59)

Match 5: Alex Wright and American Dragon vs The British Invasion (Doug Williams and Nigel McGuinness). Generally the match became very technical given the style of the competitors. There were plenty of chances for both teams, but Dragon put Williams to the LeBell Lock for the win. (14:37, 78)

Don Callis is taken to the hospital.

Booker T makes his way to the ring with the WCW RAGE Tag Team Championship belt. He's glad he's wearing the gold again. Because this is his destiny and what he is supposed to do in WCW. The fans haven't helped him do that lately... but he's willing to forgive them, make up with them and together they can move on. The fans give a mixed reaction... but cheer as Sting makes his way to the ring! Sting remarks that Booker is still the same... The fans have helped Sting his entire career, helped him at the Spring Stampede, and Sting is grateful to them for that. Sting recalls the problems between him and Booker from before... but now they are WCW RAGE Tag Team Champions together, the problems are in the past and they need to defend those titles going forward. Sting and Booker T shake hands! The harmony is interrupted by... (82)

... Brian Kendrick and Paul London! They express their respect for the champions, but remind them: they got the title match by bypassing the standard contender's match. You could say they didn't deserve it. Plus, they had a better situation because of the fired Mark Jindrak. Regardless, respect nonetheless. But there is a team on RAGE that is synonymous with the word "tag team division". That's Kendrick and London. They challenge Sting and Booker to a title match at the Great American Bash - and the champions accept the challenge! (76)

Match 6, Non-Title Match: Goldberg vs Christopher Daniels. Daniels tried to earn a spot at the top of the RAGE roster, but still Goldberg proved to be a tough opponents for him. After a few moments where it looked like Christopher had a good chance to win, Goldberg catches him with a Spear and takes him down with a Jackhammer. (9:40, 83)

Post-match, Lance Storm enters the arena. He earnestly reminds us that he won the BattleBowl, so Goldberg can kiss the title goodbye - because at the Great American Bash, he'll be facing Lance Storm. (76)

Backstage Notes:

* Don Callis is leaving WCW. His contract is up and negotiations have gone nowhere.

* There have been an increasing number of situations where Raven has appeared on WCW shows under the influence of drugs. So far it hasn't directly affected work, but WCW management is increasingly unhappy with his behavior. Also, Raven is very toxic backstage.

* Last Nitro during a tag team match, Ric Flair dangerously dropped Perry Saturn right on his head, causing an injury. The injury turned out not to be serious. Saturn will not miss any shows. But Flair got in heat with part of the locker room because of the incident.

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #100

Civic Center, Mobile, AL

TONIGHT: Rey Mysterio will make a big announcement. (66)

Match 1, WCW Nitro Tag Team Championship Contender's Match Qualifying: Homicide and Low Ki vs Julio Dinero and Colt Cabana. This match determines the second team in a three-team contender's match for the WCW Nitro Tag Team Championship. The first team is Flair and Rhodes. Dinero and Cabana tried and showed a lot of moves they haven't had enough TV time for before (showing that they are not only jobbers, but quite talented performers), but Homicide and Low Ki were stronger. Low Ki finishes the match with a Ki Krusher on Dinero. (9:13, 66)

Backstage, 'Gorgeous' Bobby Roode brags about his modeling accomplishments. Super Crazy (with Tajiri) walks up. He's unhappy with their match's finish last week. Roode shrugs and remarks that he has no idea how Crazy with that face was able to make his way to WCW. All Mexicans have to wear masks... Roode also makes fun of Tajiri's Japanese face. It gets to the point of a confrontation but the staff restrains Crazy and Tajiri. Tajiri challenges Roode to a match tonight. (43)

Match 2: Fit Finlay vs Air Paris. Fit Finlay had a great match and won after the Tombstone. (5:13, 66)

Post-match, James Mitchell comes out at the ramp. Finlay is distracted... and attacked from behind by Abyss! The Black Hole Slam puts Finlay down. Mitchell: "If you stare into the abyss for too long, the Abyss starts staring back at you." (56)

Perry Saturn is in the ring with a mic. He's not happy with the way Raven behaved last week. "Raven and I have a long history together. And not all of it is to my liking. So when I got a second chance and came back to WCW, I said to myself, I came back here for the wins. I'm confident in my skills. I'm confident that I can succeed here. And the last thing I want is all the nonsense that surrounded me when Raven was around."...

... Raven is here to respond. "Victories? Victories? Face it, Perry. You're here because you didn't succeed in WWE. You've always been fabulously lucky... In ECW, you went with John Cronus. Your team was at the top of ECW, not you. You wouldn't have gotten anywhere in WCW if I hadn't taken you under my wing. And when you fell for Vince's sweet talk and thought that you, Eddie, Chris and Dean were going to be in WWE... you were wrong. You were wrong. Eddie and Chris were successful. But not you. Mop up storylines? The hardcore title? You were a laughingstock, Perry. Because you didn't have me by your side. But we can still change that. And I'm gonna make a man out of you. I'm gonna bring your best to the surface-- above average for everyone else, but best for you. That's your max. And that's the truth." Perry Saturn offers to clear up any problems in a face-to-face match. Raven laughs at him... and tries a sneak attack. But Saturn is ready for it and knocks Raven down with a series of punches! Attempted Rings of Saturn, but Raven fights back and escapes the ring. Perry yells after him. (63)

Match 3: 'Gorgeous' Bobby Roode vs Tajiri. Bobby Roode has his second TV match in WCW - against Tajiri. Roode again appeals to the ref whenever Tajiri tries to punch him in the face. Bobby uses the same tactic as a week ago - attempting to roll Tajiri up, but Tajiri appears ready - and spits green mist in his face! A greater tragedy to Roode's face could not have been imagined. He runs backstage in horror - and Tajiri wins by countout. (6:30, 52)

Rob Van Dam and Jerry Lynn are backstage. They've been enemies for too long: tonight is their first match as a tag team. They only have three weeks to get ready for their title match. (64)

Match 4: Chris Hero vs Kaz Hayashi. Steve Corino joins the announcers. "Hero thinks he's a great talent... I only got him in the Horsemen as a partner to Claudio Castagnoli. At the Great American Bash he's going to fall into the old school." Chris has been distracted at times by his future opponent, but that doesn't stop him from winning. Hero puts his opponent down with a KO Elbow and finishes him off with Hero's Welcome. (8:58, 76)

Post-match, Steve Corino tries a cheap attack, but Hero is ready. We have an equal brawl that the officials are forced to break up. (75)

Rey Mysterio in-ring interview with Gene Okerlund. He talks about how Chavo Guerrero blames others for everything. And how hurt he is by what his friend has become. Rey is friends with his Uncle Eddie, Rey is often at Guerrero family dinners, Rey respects his father. But Chavo brings shame to his family. "We're always going to get in each other's way, Chavo. We're too different. Look, we tried everything... One Starrcade match, second Starrcade match, even Mexican Death Match... Nothing works. There's just too little room on the Nitro for both of us. We need to end this once and for all. We need one final match. At the Great American Bash. The loser leaves Nitro forever." (64)

Match 5, Non-Title: AJ Styles vs Shannon Moore. Moore, as an experienced opponent, had his chances, but Styles only needed one chance to catch him in Styles Clash for the win. (9:42, 86)

Post-match, Samoa Joe enters the arena. AJ Styles spots him and calls into the ring. Homicide and Low Ki attack him from behind: they beat up the US champion; Samoa Joe just watches. (75)

Match 6: Rob Van Dam and Jerry Lynn vs CW Anderson and Claudio Castagnoli. Rob Van Dam and Jerry Lynn make their first appearance as a tag team, practicing before their title match at the Great American Bash. WCW Nitro Tag Team Champions Frankie Kazarian and Matt Bentley come out to the ringside to watch. RVD and Lynn had their problems with communication, but made up for it with technique and speed when Lynn catches Castagnoli with a Cradle Piledriver and RVD jumps with a Five Star Frog Splash for the win. (14:25, 90)

Post-match, Kazarian and Bentley look closely at the challengers. RVD and Lynn shake hands and show they are ready to fight for the belts. (62)

WCW RAGE
Episode #21

Civic Center, Pensacola, FL

Announcers: Joey Styles and Jerry Lawler

This episode started with its announcers - Joey Styles and Jerry Lawler. It appears that Don Callis suffered a serious head and neck injury after being attacked by Mike Awesome last week. As a result, it's unknown when Callis will be able to recover - and if he'll be able to fully recover. Mike Awesome is suspended for 30 days for now. In the meantime TV network will name the new RAGE General Manager, who will take over Callis' duties and will be introduced to the public at the Great American Bash! (48)

Show starts.

Shawn Michaels is here with a promo. He is holding a contract for a match at Great American Bash for Bret Hart. Once Bret signs it - it's official. The HBK is aware that Bret is covered by fake doctor's papers... which, however, doesn't stop him from interfering in matches. The HBK promises that by the end of the night, they will get Bret Hart to sign a contract and make the match official. (94)

Match 1: The Primadonnas (Christian York and Joey Matthews) vs Jerrelle Clark and Roderick Strong. The Primadonnas easily win over young wrestlers after their signature Snapshot. (4:41, 54)

Backstage, The Rock meets Sonjay Dutt, who is thrilled to see him live. Rock expresses his respect for Dutt after his match with Jarrett last week. And says that tonight they will team up against Jarrett and his partner. There is no limit to Sonjay's joy. (56)

Match 2: Billy Kidman vs Sonny Siaki. Kidman got some damage from Siaki’s moves, but eventually finished the match with a Shooting Star Press. (5:25, 76)

Post match, Francine comes out for an interview. Kidman admits that CM Punk was right last week saying that Kidman hasn’t achieved much as a singles wrestler in WCW. But it's not because of the fans. The fans help him in his tough moments. And without them, Billy would have quit on everything a long time ago. At the Great American Bash, they will help him once again - to become the first ever North American Champion in WCW. (55)

At locker room, Sting talks to Booker T. "You'd think that now that we're RAGE tag team champions we could relax... Now we have to work even harder on our teamwork to successfully defend these titles." (74)

Backstage, ‘Cowboy’ James Storm meets Jeff Jarrett. Storm considers Jeff as the only worthy wrestlers in all of RAGE. After all, he's from Nashville too and knows what it's like there... Jarrett agrees and offers him to be his tag team partner for tonight. (61)

Match 3: Alex Wright and American Dragon vs Christopher Daniels and Matt Morgan. Wright and Dragon team up for the second week in a row. Daniels tried to keep Morgan in the ring as his weapon for most of the match, but still got caught at the end in a LeBell Lock from Dragon as Wright knocked Morgan out of the ring. Daniels taps out. (5:31, 78)

WCW World Heavyweight Champion Goldberg comes out. "Last week, Lance Storm came out with a serious challenge for me.... And I had plenty of these kind. Serious opponents. Dangerous. Each one more dangerous than the other. Each one trying to be even more serious. They were all serious and dangerous... until they found out they were just the next one."... Bret Hart comes out! Hart and Goldberg take a long look into each other's eyes - and it looks like a moment that will become a classic in the future. Hart: "I've been wanting to do this for a long time, Bill. To come out here and look you in the eye. After what you did to me. Your kick ended my career. And as much as I'd like to give another dream match to all these people and come out for a match at the Great American Bash... I can't. My doctors won't let me. Every minute in the ring could be my last. I would like to get in the ring against HBK..... I'd like to get in the ring against you. But your botched kick took that dream away from me. But you see… at the PPV, you're gonna see how serious Lance Storm can be. Because he's not just the best he's ever been, is and will be..... He's better than Bret Hart ever was. Lance is a talent. And Lance knows everything I know. And more. That's why at the Great American Bash, you're going up against the toughest opponent you've ever met. including me, who has beaten you in this very ring. Lance Storm will do it again in three weeks and become the new WCW World Heavyweight Champion." (84)

Match 4: Brian Kendrick and Paul London vs Alex Shelley and Chris Sabin. Sting and Booker T were watching it in the locker room. Sabin and Shelley might have a bright future in WCW, but for now Kendrick and London took the easy win. (6:06, 77)

Backstage, British Invasion come to Bret Hart’s and Lance Storm’s locker room. They all gossip about Hart-Goldberg confrontation. Nigel McGuinness brags about his technical skills, moves and submissions - and to prove it, challenges Goldberg to a match tonight! (64)

Match 5: The Rock and Sonjay Dutt vs Jeff Jarrett and ‘Cowboy’ James Storm. Sonjay Dutt has probably the biggest match of his career. Storm and Jarrett were better as a team. But at the end, The Rock gets the hot tag and clears the ring. Rocky knocks Jarrett out of the ring and follows. Storm lifts Dutt up on his shoulders... Sonjay counters with the Hurricanrana, hops on the top rope and performs the Hindu Press for the win! (10:07, 73)

Post match, The Rock expresses his respect to Dutt and raises his arm.

Video from the day before: Ken Shamrock signs autographs during a fan meet and greet. And he is attacked by Sean O'Haire! O’Haire throws several tangible punches and suplexes Shamrock through the nearby table. (70)

Sean O’Haire backstage interview. "I'm tired of hearing about how dangerous Ken Shamrock is... MMA, kung fu, karate... Where was it all at Spring Stampede? He's the reason I’m not a tag team champion anymore. And unless Shamrock wants a repeat of yesterday, he better never show up in WCW again." (57)

Match 6, #1 Contendership for WCW Cruiserweight Championship: TAKA Michinoku vs Shane Helms. The wrestlers were given ample time to put on the best possible match. Each got a few nearfalls, but both finishers, Michinoku Driver and Vertabreaker, mutually blocked. At the end, both wrestlers were exhausted from the match... At this point WCW Cruiserweight Champion Elix Skipper jumps into the ring and hits first Michinoku and then Helms with the championship belt. The match is stopped. (14:08, 79)

Match 7, Non-Title: Goldberg vs Nigel McGuinness (w/ Doug Williams). McGuinness, with his technique and grappling, was indeed a serious opponent. But even Doug Williams' interventions didn't help him - Goldberg ends the match with the Jackhammer. (8:52, 80)

Post match, British Invasion attacks Goldberg together. Goldberg tries to fight back, but Bret Hart and Lance Storm join. It’s 4-on-1 now! Goldberg still fights back. But Hart hits him with a chopblock, and that’s it. We have a beatdown… up until Shawn Michaels and American Dragon run in with a save. They clear the ring. And in all chaos HBK stays in the ring with Hart! Bret tries to escape… Michaels puts him in a Sharpshooter! Goldberg and Dragon keep others from interfering. The contract for the match lies in front of Bret. "Sign it," shouts Shawn. Hart gives up, but HBK won't let him go. Finally Bret agonizingly signs the contract - and only then does the torture end. HBK holds the contract in front of Hart's nose - their match at Great American Bash becomes official! (70)

Backstage Notes:

* Sonjay Dutt got a push by getting into a program with Rock and hinted his face turn. But the crowd is not responding well to him as a babyface. Rumor has it that his road to the full face turn may pause and creative plans might be changing.

* End of giving chances to Matt Morgan. He's been sent back to developmental. He's not ready. He still might be involved in the main shows, but mostly will perform in NWA.

* Ultimo Dragon is leaving WCW. Management had big plans for him, but Dragon feels more comfortable in the indies with a free schedule.

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #101

Sports Arena, San Diego, CA

Overall: 83

Match 1, WCW Nitro Tag Team Championship Contender's Match Qualifying: Super Crazy and Tajiri vs Jamie Noble and Kaz Hayashi. Tajiri and Super Crazy try to earn a spot in the tag team championship contendership match (along with the team of Flair and Rhodes as well as Homicide and Low Ki). They almost succeed, but Bobby Roode comes out to the ring to watch the match. Tajiri is distracted and gets a Guillotine Choke from Noble. Noble and Hayashi win. (9:39, 74)

Backstage, Ric Flair and Dustin Rhodes talk. Flair is full of doubts. He’s not sure he can still compete for Nitro tag team titles at the same level as their young and modern opponents. He decides to test himself and challenges one of his future opponents, Low Ki, to a match. (77)

Raven backstage promo. He says that Perry Saturn has always been a joke. His stupidity was laughed at in ECW. In WCW, Raven took him under his wing for the first time and it was the only thing that got Saturn anywhere. "Now you've decided that your second time in WCW is going to be different? Why? Because they took you to WWE in addition to Eddie, Chris and Dean? Call Vince and ask him if he would have taken you alone? You and I both know the answer is no. Nothing's changed, Perry. You're still the joke you've always been. And at the Great American Bash, I'm gonna show it to the world." (63)

Match 2: Abyss (w/ James Mitchell) vs Marc Briscoe. It was a fast victory over a local talent for Abyss, as he finishes his match with a Black Hole Slam. (2:15, 60)

Post match, Fit Finlay attacks Abyss with a shillelagh! A couple of shots to the legs and several more to the head. WCW officials drag Finlay out of the arena. Abyss is hurt, but manages to get back on his legs. (76)

Samoa Joe (w/ Homicide and Low Ki) backstage interview. Gene Okerlund asks him about a cheap attack on AJ Styles last week. Joe doesn’t answer. He says that he was doing ‘the right thing’ ever since he debuted in WCW. But these guys behind him - Homicide and Low Ki - talked some sense into him. They are not only great fighters, but also know how to strategize. And now Samoa Joe will get his first trophy in WCW - United States Championship. (62)

Match 3: Perry Saturn vs Colt Cabana. Cabana made Saturn sweat a bit, but fell victim to the Spicolli Driver. (4:32, 68)

Post match, Raven attacks Saturn and puts him down with the Raven Effect. (59)

Chris Hero in-ring promo. He recalls what happened last week as Corino tried to attack him but Hero fought back. "That's what's going to happen at the Great American Bash, Steve. There won't be any Horsemen around you there. It's just going to be me and you." Steve Corino is here! "At the PPV, yes, but it's still 13 days away. So - surprise!" CW Anderson and Claudio Castagnoli sneak attack Hero from behind - and Corino joins them! The 3-on-1 beating lasts for a while... until Rob Van Dam and Jerry Lynn run out to the rescue! The three good guys chase the Horsemen away. WCW Commissioner Dusty Rhodes is forced to intervene: he sets them up for a six-man match in the main event! (85)

Match 4, Non-Title: AJ Styles vs Matt Bentley. Styles dodges a Superkick and hits a Pele Kick to the head. Spiral Tap ends the match with AJ winning the match. (13:07, 78)

Post match, WCW US Champion AJ Styles grabs a mic and calls out Samoa Joe. "You can only attack as a group? I'm disappointed. I accepted your challenge as a worthy opponent who can deal with his problems himself. Or is your undefeated streak just a hype?". Samoa Joe enters the arena, but stops halfway through... and Homicide and Low Ki pop into the ring again from behind... the only difference is that this time AJ Styles is ready! He immediately knocks Homicide down with a belt shot to the head, Low Ki gets a dropkick and falls out of the ring. Joe's sidekicks are forced to retreat and AJ calls for Joe to get in the ring. The Samoan leaves the arena with a smirk. (75)

Match 5: Ric Flair vs Low Ki. Low Ki’s stiff style caused some troubles for Ric, Flair focused on Low Ki's leg. And succeeded: after weakening his opponent, Ric capitalized on Low Ki’s mistake and grabbed him in a Figure-Four Leglock for the win. (10:28, 78)

Chavo Guerrero comes out to answer the challenge from Rey Mysterio. Chavo talks about the traditions of the lucha, the traditions of his family, and the entire history of their confrontation with Rey since Starrcade 2001. Yes, there isn't enough room for the two of them on Nitro. Chavo accepts the challenge and offers to take their confrontation to the next level: a ladder match with a dangling Nitro contract at Great American Bash. Whoever gets there first stays. The loser leaves Nitro. (76)

Match 6: The Horsemen (Steve Corino, CW Anderson and Claudio Castagnoli) vs Chris Hero, Rob Van Dam and Jerry Lynn. The good guys were close to victory. RVD is on the top rope, ready for 5 Star Frog Splash… WCW Nitro Tag Team Champions, Matt Bentley and Frankie Kazarian, are here! Kazarian pushes RVD from the top rope. Jerry Lynn jumps on them with a suicide dive! But Hero is left alone in the ring. Superkick from Corino. Spinebuster from CW Anderson. 1…2…3. The Horsemen win. (15:20, 87)

WCW RAGE
Episode #22

Arrowhead Pond, Anaheim, CA

Overall: 86

Billy Kidman joins the announcers for the next match. (72)

Match 1: CM Punk vs Joey Matthews. Matthews was showing a potential for singles career success. But Devil Lock DDT by CM Punk stopped him. An Anakonda Vice follows - a showdown for Kidman - and Punk wins. (11:26, 64)

Post match, CM Punk takes the mic and again mocks Kidman for his "career accomplishments" in WCW. Punk calls Kidman a joke, just like all of the old WCW. Thankfully, a new generation has come in and saved the company and is taking it to the next level. Kidman is about to attack Punk, but the refs show up and separate them. (74)

Last Week: John Cena was no-show due to partying too hard in the club. (75)

Backstage, Francine comes to John Cena’s locker room with a news: Cena is obligated to be in a match tonight. It seems that Cena has a massive hangover though… (69)

Match 2: Sean O’Haire (w/ Mike Sanders) vs Xavier. O’Haire had little trouble defeating the local talent Xavier after a Widow Maker. (1:40, 58)

Post match, Ken Shamrock runs in! O'Haire manages to notice it, push Sanders into him and escape. Sanders gets a belly-to-belly suplex. Ken Shamrock takes the mic and announces that he has just signed a contract for another match in WCW: at the Great American Bash against Sean O'Haire! (71)

Backstage, ‘Cowboy’ James Storm talks to Jeff Jarrett. He’s sorry they lost the tag team match a week ago, but James wants revenge and has challenged The Rock to a singles match tonight. (60)

Match 3: John Cena vs Crowbar. John Cena had a hard time focusing on his match against Crowbar after a long party yesterday. Crowbar took 100% advantage of that, blocked a Proto-Bomb and executed a Brainbuster for the win. (5:37, 62)

WCW Cruiserweight Champion Elix Skipper answers questions from WCW.com visitors. Franchin brings him a piece of paper - it's a message from the new RAGE General Manager: because Skipper ruined the contenders match a week ago - at Great American Bash he will defend the title in a triple threat against TAKA Michinoku and Shane Helms. (62)

Bret Hart (on crutches) in-ring promo. He talks about how Shawn Michaels made him sign a contract for a match at Great American Bash a week ago.... Now Hart has to do it despite the doctors' opinion. But Shawn doesn't know what he's done. Because if the match hadn't happened, Hart wouldn't be the only one safe.... The HBK would be safe too. "For 6 years I've waited for this day. 6 years I've dreamed of this moment. Do you have any idea what it means 6 years of daily wishing I could wipe the smile off your face, put you in a Sharpshooter, and break your legs so you'd suffer the same way I did? At the Great American Bash you will sign your own sentence, heartbreak kid...". (79)

Match 4: The Rock vs ‘Cowboy’ James Storm. Jeff Jarrett joins the announcers. The Rock carried this match, as Storm wasn’t ready for big league yet. The Rock was distracted by Jarrett, giving Storm the advantage. But James was unable to turn it into a win as Rock blocks one of the takedowns and puts "Cowboy" down with a Rock Bottom. (10:13, 86)

Post match, Jeff Jarrett joins James Storm and attacks The Rock. But wait… Sonjay Dutt is here with a save! (53)

Match 5: Sting (w/ Booker T) vs Brian Kendrick (w/ Paul London). It was a very close match. Only one mistake decided the result. Kendrick avoids Scorpion Deathlock and rolls Sting up for three counts. Much to the disappointment of Booker T.... (12:38, 82)

Match 6: Goldberg, Shawn Michaels and American Dragon vs Lance Storm (w/ Bret Hart) and The British Invasion (Doug Williams and Nigel McGuinness). The heels tried to isolate American Dragon. But Goldberg gets a hot tag and clears the ring. Goldberg and The British Invasion leave the ring. Bret Hart distracts HBK. Lance Storm rolls Dragon up for three. (12:31, 89)

Post match, the brawl continues. HBK attacks Lance Storm. Bret Hart hits HBK with a crutch! One more shot to the back and the next one to the leg. Hart puts HBK into a Sharpshooter! WCW officials come to break the hold, but it’s not an easy task. Shawn Michaels is in much pain. And that’s it for tonight. (89)

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #102

American Airlines Arena, Miami, FL

Overall: 81

TONIGHT: Rey Mysterio and Chavo Guerrero will be the guests on 'The Piper's Pit'. (70)

Match 1: 'Gorgeous' Bobby Roode vs Super Crazy. Super Crazy got a chance to bounce back from his loss to Bobby Roode three weeks ago. The match followed a similar scenario where Roode left the ring refusing to get punched in the face. But this time Tajiri entered the arena and literally drove Roode back to the ring, where he was laid out there by Crazy. Moonsault finished the job. (6:29, 49)

Fit Finlay backstage promo. He's back from Dusty Rhodes' office and got an official confirmation. Next week on Nitro there'll be a match vs Abyss. And it'll be a Belfast Brawl. (65)

Match 2: Samoa Joe vs Matt Sydal. It isn't a bad workout for Joe prior to his match with AJ Styles at PPV, given the similar styles of the opponents. Joe dodges a 630 Splash and grabs Matt in a Guillotine Choke for the win. (8:02, 73)

Post-match, WCW US Champion AJ Styles is on the ramp. Samoa Joe gets ready to fight. Styles takes out a microphone: "I'm not here to fight. I'm here to say, you could avoid me all month, but in six days you're going to have to fight me in the ring. And I think you're scared. Afraid that you won't be able to handle your opponent for the first time. Afraid of what you see in me. And that fear makes you vulnerable. In six days, you'll see that I’m a phenomenal indeed. And your streak will come to an end." Samoa Joe calls Styles to the ring now! But this AJ decides to wait and replies that they'll see each other at the Great American Bash. (78)

Earlier Today: Ric Flair and Dustin Rhodes answer questions from the WCW.com audience. Will they be able to wrestle on equal level against the "new generation" wrestlers. Flair answers that he's seen a lot of new generations in his career - and they all fall the same way. Homicide and Low Ki show up. Homicide calls Flair a "grandpa" and promises to show that Flair no longer fits in with the new times. Flair and Rhodes offer not to wait, but to get in the ring at tonight's Nitro. (82)

Match 3: Raven and Abyss (w/ James Mitchell) vs Perry Saturn and Fit Finlay. Enemies get a chance to get at each other, but in a tag team match. Abyss and Finlay went to brawl all over the arena. Raven attempts the Raven Effect in the ring, but Saturn turns it into the Rings of Saturn and forces Raven to give up! (10:28, 76)

The Horsemen's locker room. CW Anderson and Claudio Castagnoli are furious that they didn't get a chance to compete in the mini-tournament of contenders for the tag team championship. But they will wait for their chance. And when it comes, they'll get the titles. In the meantime, they challenge one of the possible contenders teams to a match tonight. (73)

Match 4: Ric Flair and Dustin Rhodes vs Homicide and Low Ki. Flair and Rhodes tried to keep up with Homicide and Low Ki. Flair and Rhodes had a lot of experience on their side. Rhodes also has tag team experience. So even though their opponents were young and fast, Rhodes and Flair were close to winning at the end... but Homicide hits Flair with some sort of object to the head and roll him up to three. (11:47, 80)

Post-match, a bloodied Flair asks for a microphone and screams hysterically: "You want to play dirty, kid? You picked the wrong opponent because I'm the dirtiest player in the game, kid! WHOOOOO, dammit!". (77)

“The Piper’s Pit”:
Roddy Piper invites Rey Mysterio and Chavo Guerrero to the ring - they'll have a match in 6 days, after which one of them will leave Nitro forever. Mysterio says he's always respected the Guerrero family, with Uncle Chavo being his best friend. He's sorry things have come to this. But too much has happened for them to mend their relationship. One of them will have to leave Nitro. Chavo responds that Rey has no respect for anyone. Behind Chavo's back there is a tradition and family. Behind Rey's back is all this high-risk jumping, all thrill seeker extravaganza and stupidness of that part of fans, who like to watch this circus. Why is Rey recognized as the best wrestler by the internet? Why not Chavo? Because internet fans are stupid! Rey Mysterio is stealing the glory from him every day. But it's all going to end because in 6 days Rey won't be on Nitro. Mysterio and Chavo are coming face to face for a long stare down. (80)

Match 5: CW Anderson and Claudio Castagnoli vs Jamie Noble and Kaz Hayashi. The Horsemen try to show that they were undeservedly ignored in determining the contenders for the tag team titles Surprisingly, Noble and Dragon took control and were close to victory! Luckily, Steve Corino showed up and distracted the ref... Castagnoli hits Noble with a chair and Anderson catches Hayashi with a Spinebuster for the win. (12:18, 75)

Post-match, there is a 3-on-2 beating down but Chris Hero runs into the ring with a chair and chases the Horsemen away. (79)

Match 6: Rob Van Dam vs Frankie Kazarian. RVD and Kazarian got the Nitro main event all for themselves. They put on a great wrestling performance. Wave of Future by Kazarian! Not enough for the win. Kazarian tries to repeat his finisher, but RVD knocks him down and goes for the 5 Star Frog Splash... Matt Bentley is here! He grabs RVD by leg. Kazarian jumps up on the top-rope and hits his new move, Flux Capacitor! No chance after that one. Kazarian pins Rob down to three. (12:42, 82)

Post-match, Jerry Lynn runs out to the ring and chases the champions away. Lynn checks on RVD and promises that at the Great American Bash they are going to take the WCW Nitro Tag Team Championship away.

WCW RAGE
Episode #23

TD Waterhouse Centre, Orlando, FL

Overall: 86

TONIGHT: We have a big main event - The Rock and Billy Kidman vs Jeff Jarrett and CM Punk. Also, we have a contract signing for the Goldberg vs Lance Storm match. (78)

Match 1: American Dragon vs Roderick Strong. Strong is definitely talented, but Dragon proves to be stronger and ends the match with a Cattle Mutilation. (8:02, 71)

Backstage, Sonjay Dutt walks into the building and is attacked by "Cowboy" James Storm! Storm beats Dutt up and smashes a beer bottle over his head. (27)

Match 2: The British Invasion (Doug Williams and Nigel McGuinness) vs The Primadonnas (Christian York and Joey Matthews). Williams and McGuinness defeats their opponents after a Tower of London, while the announcers are actively hyping the RAGE tag team division. (9:45, 76)

Footage with Sean O'Haire working out for his match vs Ken Shamrock at Great American Bash. "Shamrock can win in any discipline ... MMA, karate, kung fu, drunken master style ... But when he's in the wrestling ring, he's in my territory and he'll fight by my rules." (74)

Match 3: John Cena vs Andy Douglas. John Cena is in much better shape tonight (was the nightclub closed?) and therefore easily defeats young Andy Douglas after the Proto-Bomb. (3:20, 52)

Post-match, Franchin interviews John Cena and asks about last weeks mishaps. Cena says he's not obligated to answer to anyone (especially not to “boys in the back” or “locker room leaders”)and can do whatever he wants. (56)

Backstage, Booker T and Sting are talking. Booker doesn't want to see the kind of mistakes that Sting made a week ago when he lost to Brian Kendrick. Booker has a match with Paul London tonight. (79)

Match 4: Shane Helms and TAKA Michinoku vs Elix Skipper and Petey Williams. Helms and Michinoku clearly didn't trust each other - and that set up the outcome of the match. Skipper knocks Michinoku out of the ring, and Helms gets a Canadian Destroyer from Williams. (11:21, 83)

Shawn Michaels in-ring promo. He wanted to thank Bret Hart for hitting him with a crutch and putting into a Sharpshooter in the center of the ring a week ago. "It reminded me what it means to be in the ring against the Hitman, against the best there was, is and will be... It refreshed my memory. It brought back some old feelings - the Sharpshooter feeling... It helped me remember: in the ring against Hart, you have to be ready for anything, any trick, any sneak and any maneuver. Thank you. Now I'll remember. And I'll be ready. You won't have a crutch with you at the Great American Bash...you'll have me against you in this very ring. And I'll be ready." (100)

Match 5: Booker T (w/ Sting) vs Paul London (w/ Brian Kendrick). In this back-and-forth match, Booker T responding little to the ref's requests and does a lot of almost-legal and illegal stuff. At the end, Booker T chokes London with the ropes for too long and then finishes him off with an Axe Kick for the win. (12:06, 79)

Post-match, Brian Kendrick gets in the face of Booker T. He’s furious with how Booker T behaved himself. It comes to a confrontation between all four team members - and officials have to separate them. (77)

Another footage: Ken Shamrock prepares for his match at the Great American Bash at his home. He wasn't going to return to wrestling, but it seems he needs to break another ankle - Sean O'Haire's. (69)

Match 6: The Rock and Billy Kidman vs Jeff Jarrett and CM Punk. The Rock ducks Jarrett with a Spinebuster and calls for Kidman to do the Shooting Star Press... but CM Punk pulls the ropes, Kidman falls down. Punk attacks Rock - together they fall out of the ring. In the ring, Jarrett delivers a Stroke from the second rope on Kidman for the win. (13:42, 90)

All is set for the contract signing between Goldberg and Lance Storm. Jerry Lawler is filling the role of official. Lawler says the contract has been carefully prepared by the new RAGE General Manager (whose name we'll learn at the Great American Bash...). Goldberg and Lance Storm sign the contract without any words and come face to face. It seems like that's the end of it...? But suddenly Bret Hart comes to the ring! Hart takes the microphone and gets very close to Goldberg. "I'd really like to do it myself... But Lance Storm will do it for me when he defeats you in the center of this ring and takes what's important to you - the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. Just like you took what's important to me. My career. My life's work. The joy of every day I spend in that ring. In three days, you're gonna feel everything I've felt all these years. And you're not going to like it." Suddenly, Lance Storm lands a sneaky shot from behind! Bret Hart and Lance Storm team up to attack Goldberg, focusing on Bill's leg. Hart pulls Goldberg towards the post to grab him in the famous Figure-Four around the post... But Shawn Michaels rushes out to help! Michaels knocks Storm down with a series of punches, and then attacks Bret Hart! HBK and Hart fight outside the ring - and no one is able to break up this brawl. There are still refs and officials running to the ring... and that's the end of the show. See you at the Great American Bash! (86)

World Championship Wrestling presents...

WCW GREAT AMERICAN BASH 2003

Final Card

Goldberg vs Lance Storm

No DQ Match
‘The Heartbreak Kid’ Shawn Michaels vs Bret ‘The Hitman’ Hart

“Loser Leaves Nitro” Ladder Match
Rey Mysterio vs Chavo Guerrero

The Rock vs Jeff Jarrett

WCW United States Championship
AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe

WCW North American Championship
Billy Kidman vs CM Punk

Steve Corino vs Chris Hero

Sean O’Haire vs Ken Shamrock

WCW Nitro Tag Team Championship
Frankie Kazarian and Matt Bentley vs Rob Van Dam and Jerry Lynn

WCW RAGE Tag Team Championship
Booker T and Sting vs Brian Kendrick and Paul London

WCW Cruiserweight Championship
Elix Skipper vs Shane Helms vs TAKA Michinoku

Raven vs Perry Saturn

Also…

The new RAGE General Manager will be revealed!... Who is it?
  • Like 1

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/WWE_The_Great_American_Bash.png

WCW Great American Bash 2003

Compaq Center, Houston, TX

Announcers: Mike Tenay, Tony Schiavone, Joey Styles and Jerry Lawler
Overall: 81

The opening video for tonight. WCW Great American Bash normally is kinda mid-season finale, and that is also true for today, as we prepared a great card and a lot of action. (74)

Match 1, WCW United States Championship: AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe. We’re gonna start with a very promising action. Samoa Joe goes with an offense, using tough strikes with elbows, punches, knees and even headbutts, while Styles uses his speed to duck from it. AJ hits some moves of his own. Joe, angered by AJ’s offense, catches one of AJ’s kicks and pulls him into a vicious suplex, throwing AJ halfway across the ring. Joe wastes no time, immediately hitting a running senton that crushes AJ’s ribs. 1…2. Joe’s expression darkens as he stalks AJ, who’s struggling to get to his feet. Joe pulls AJ up and sets him up for the Muscle Buster, but AJ fights out of it with desperate elbows to Joe’s head. AJ lands on his feet and quickly hits a Pele Kick, stunning Joe momentarily…

… AJ needs to take a risk to knock down Joe. He goes to the top rope. Spiral Tap… missed! Joe immediately capitalizes, locking AJ in the Koji Clutch. We might have a new champion in a minute… AJ tries to kick out, but Joe’s hold is tight. AJ inches towards the ropes, his face turning red from the pressure… and he grabs the ropes! Joe, furious, pulls AJ back to the center of the ring and signals for the Muscle Buster…

… Eye rake by Styles! That’s new for him. The ref admonishes AJ, but it looks like Styles doesn’t care. He knows he’s in deep trouble. Enraged Joe charges at AJ, but AJ rolls out of the ring to avoid him. In the ringside Samoa Joe goes after AJ Styles. AJ quickly grabs the chair and hits Joe to the head! Samoan Machine is finally down… but the ref stops the match due the DQ. AJ Styles looks shocked. He slowly realizes what he’s done, but it was an impulse. AJ Styles retains the WCW US Championship, he gets the belt, but he’s definitely not happy and proud. (15:53, 82)

Match 2: Sean O’Haire (w/ Mike Sanders) vs Ken Shamrock. O’Haire takes control early, using his power to dominate Shamrock. Shamrock, realizing he can’t match O’Haire’s power, switches to his MMA background. As O’Haire attempts a powerbomb, Shamrock counters with a knee strike to the face, causing O’Haire to stagger. Shamrock quickly transitions into a single-leg takedown, taking O’Haire off his feet. He then mounts O’Haire and begins raining down punches. Ankle Lock attempts, but O’Haire quickly grabs the ropes and leaves the ring to regroup. Sean is visibly frustrated. Later, Shamrock again goes for an Ankle Lock, Sanders grabs his leg. Shamrock chases Mike Sanders around the ring, O’Haire intercepts with a spinning side slam. Back to the ring. O’Haire goes for a Widow Maker… Shamrock fights back with elbows, slips behind, shoves to the ropes and rolls O’Haire into an Ankle Lock! O’Haire, screaming in agony, claws his way to the ropes, but Shamrock drags him back to the center of the ring. Just when it seems like O’Haire might tap, Sanders, from outside the ring, reaches in and rakes Shamrock’s eyes. Shamrock releases the hold. Blinded Ken Shamrock stumbles back, and O’Haire, using the last of his strength, catches Shamrock with a massive Widow Maker. 1…2…3. (10:36, 75)

Match 3: Raven vs Perry Saturn. These guys have a long history. And they gave us a very intensive ECW-style action. Raven has a fast offense, but after a quick bulldog Saturn kicks out on one count, showing that it will take much more to put him away. Raven leaves the ring and goes for a weapons. The ref doesn’t interfere. I guess we’ll have a No DQ match now. After exchanging the offense using chairs and other stuff, Raven and Saturn go to the announcing table. Raven tries to put Saturn through it, Perry counters with a knee to the head. Back to the ring, Raven puts Saturn into a sleeper. The crowd is behind Perry. Saturn kicks out, pushes Raven into the ropes and catches him with a powerbomb onto the steel chair in the ring. The impact is brutal. 1…2…NO! Saturn goes to the top rope… MOONSAULT… missed! Both are down. Raven slowly gets up and goes to Perry… Saturn, out of sheer willpower, kips up and catches Raven with a T-bone suplex out of nowhere! Rings of Saturn! Raven screams in agony. Raven struggles, trying to reach the ropes, but he’s trapped in the center of the ring with no escape. With no other option, Raven taps out, giving Perry Saturn the hard-fought victory. (11:12, 82)

Match 4, WCW RAGE Tag Team Championship: Booker T and Sting vs Brian Kendrick and Paul London. Kendrick and London start the match by utilizing their speed, constantly tagging in and out, keeping Booker T and Sting off balance. Experienced champions managed to slow them down. Kendrick hits Sting with a spinning heel kick and hot tags London. Dropsault by London on Sting, enzuigiri on Booker T, standing shooting star press on Sting! 1…2. Booker T is more and more frustrated. He tags himself in and starts pulling out some cheap tactics like choking Kendrick against the ropes and ignoring the referee’s count. The crowd had mixed reactions. Sting watches as Booker T begins to lose his cool and yells to keep it clean. They argue. London and Kendrick take advantage of it. London superkicks Booker, and Kendrick immediately hits a Sliced Bread #2! 1….2… Sting breaks the pin! All four men in the ring. Kendrick and London manage to take Sting out of the equation, hitting him with a double dropkick that sends him crashing to the floor. Kendrick hits Booker with a superkick. London is up at the top rope… Shooting Star Press… Booker dodges. Looks like London is out of the match too. Kendrick and Booker T gets up… Booker kicks with a low blow!... (Sting is just up and sees it from the ringside)... Axe Kick! 1…2…3. (12:18, 82)

Post-match, Sting wants some answers, but Booker T takes his championship belt and leaves.

Billy Kidman backstage interview. “Punk, you might have a bright future in WCW. Your potential is huge, I won’t deny it. But this… THIS… is the biggest night in my career, the biggest opportunity I ever had. So tonight I’m bringing everything I got. I MUST leave tonight as the first WCW North American Champion”. (64)

Match 5, WCW Cruiserweight Championship: Elix Skipper vs Shane Helms vs TAKA Michinoku. This was cruiserweight action at its finest. In fact, it was the best match on the show. All three men went all out. TAKA catches Skipper with a quick arm drag, transitioning into a crossface! The crowd is on their feet as Skipper screams in pain, desperately reaching for the ropes. Just as it looks like Skipper might tap, Helms slides back into the ring and breaks up the submission with a dropkick to TAKA’s face. Michinoku Driver on Helms! 1...2... Skipper breaks the pin. Michinoku knocks him down. Determined to win, he climbs to the top rope. Moonsault... missed! With TAKA down, Skipper quickly tries to capitalize by going after Helms. He sets Helms up for the Play of the Day. Helms counters, spinning out and nailing Skipper with a superkick! 1...2... TAKA is here and breaks the pin! All three men are down, exhausted but still fighting. Helms sets Elix up for the Vertebreaker, but TAKA nails Helms with a dropkick, sending him into the turnbuckle. TAKA tries to capitalize with a tornado DDT, but Helms shoves him off, and TAKA crashes into Skipper. TAKA stumbles back, and Helms takes the opportunity to hit the Shining Wizard, connecting flush with TAKA’s head! Vertabreaker on Michinoku! Helms covers TAKA as Skipper, still dazed from the collision, is too late to break up the pin. The referee counts 1… 2… 3! We have the NEW WCW Cruiserweight Champion! (12:11, 87)

CM Punk backstage interview. “I'm just better than Billy Kidman. And everybody knows it. Even Kidman knows it. Every time we meet in the ring, it ends badly for Kidman. Tonight will be no exception - it will end badly for your fan-favorite, guy-next-door, Billy Kidman.” (69)

Match 6: Steve Corino vs Chris Hero. Hero takes control with a series of early hard-hitting strikes. Corino leaves the ring and then uses the outside environment to his advantage. As Hero follows him outside, Corino grabs him by the tights and sends him crashing into the steel steps. A little brawl at ringside. Then back to the ring. Swinging neckbreaker by Corino. 1...2. Hero fights back with a discus forearm and follows up with a release German suplex. Corino ducks under a rolling elbow and hits a low blow behind the referee’s back! Small package. 1...2. The match becomes a battle of attrition, with both men trading near falls. Old School Superkick by Corino! 1...2...NO! Hero responds with a ripcord elbow, staggering Corino, and follows up with a Cyclone Kill. 1...2...NO! The frustration is evident on both men’s faces as they realize that it’s going to take something special to win this match. Corino brings a chair into the ring, but the referee intervenes. Corino shoves the referee into Hero, sending him into the corner. Corino then swings the chair at Hero, but Hero ducks, and the chair rebounds off the ropes, hitting Corino in the face! Hero hits a brutal rolling elbow! Hero's Welcome! 1...2... it must be it... 2,5... NO! Hero pulls Corino up and delivers a knockout discus elbow to the back of Corino’s head, followed by a second ripcord elbow to the jaw. Corino crumples to the mat, and Hero covers him. 1...2...3. (13:36, 83)

Match 7, WCW Nitro Tag Team Championship: Frankie Kazarian and Matt Bentley vs Rob Van Dam and Jerry Lynn. Kazarian and Bentley were trying to isolate Lynn, as they saw RVD as more dangerous. Lynn desperately tries to reach RVD, but Kazarian and Bentley keep pulling him back to their corner, working him over with quick tags and double-team maneuvers. Kazarian hits a springboard leg drop, followed by a cover, but Lynn kicks out at two. Bentley tags in and attempts a superkick, but Lynn ducks and counters with an enzuigiri, taking Bentley down! Hot tag to RVD! Flying crossbody on Bentley by Lynn, and split-legged moonsault by RVD right away! 1...2... but Kazarian pulls the referee out of the ring, saving the match. Kazarian slides back into the ring and takes out RVD with a dropkick, followed by a reverse DDT on Lynn. He quickly pulls Bentley to their corner and tags himself in. Kazarian goes for the Flux Capacitor but Lynn fights out of it, pushing Kazarian off the top rope. Rob Van Dam immediately connects with a 5 Star Frog Splash! 1...2... and... 3! We have the NEW WCW Nitro Tag Team Champions! (13:09, 83)

It’s time to reveal the new RAGE General Manager, as Jerry Lawler announces. Music hits… and we have Ernest Miller, The Cat, coming down to the ring! Former WCW Commissioner is the new GM? He grabs the mic. He says he would be the best GM this show ever saw. He would be fair, he would be good to the stars, he would be just the greatest! Now it’s time to dance! Music hits… but Jerry Lawler gets some updated info and stops it. Ernest Miller is not the new RAGE GM. Did he really think that nobody would find out? What a clown… THIS man is the new RAGE General Manager. Music hits again and it’s… no way… OOOOOOOOHHHHHH YEAAAAAAH! It’s “MACHO MAN” RANDY SAVAGE! He’s back! The crowd is ecstatic. Savage grabs the mic: “OOOOOOHHHH YEAH! It’s nice to be here. It’s great to be the GM. And it’s damn awesome to give you the best show starting this Thursday, but… who the hell are you?!” The Cat tries to weasel his way into being at least Savage’s assistant. Randy is promising to think about it… for 3 seconds… because he knocks him down with a clothesline. FLYING ELBOW connects! Now Randy Savage really is back! (88)

Match 8, WCW North American Championship: Billy Kidman vs CM Punk. It might be the biggest match in both their careers to be honest. Kidman was using a lot of high-flying offense. Punk, realizing he needs to slow Kidman down, goes on the attack. He catches Kidman with a kick to the gut, followed by a snap suplex. Punk quickly follows up with a backbreaker, driving Kidman’s lower back onto his knee. Punk then locks in a bow and arrow submission, pulling back on Kidman’s arms and legs, stretching his back painfully. From now on Punk is focused on the back. A couple of nearfalls later Kidman is leading again. He goes for a dropkick, but Punk holds onto the ropes, causing Kidman to crash hard onto the mat. Punk quickly capitalizes, grabbing Kidman and hitting a snap powerslam, followed by a cover. 1...2...NO! Punk tries an Anakonda Vice, but Kidman rolls him up. 1...2. Sit-out spinebuster by Kidman! He's going for a Shooting Star Press! He slowly climbs to the top rope, the exhaustion evident on his face. Punk starts moving... but Shooting Star Press connects anyway. 1...2...3. (15:21, 87)

Post-match, Billy Kidman gets the belt. He’s the first ever WCW North American champion. And it’s the biggest victory in his career. We have a big celebration with other WCW stars.

Match 9, “Loser Leaves Nitro” Ladder Match: Rey Mysterio vs Chavo Guerrero. We have a Nitro contract hanging over the ring and a couple of ladders laying around. Rey Mysterio quickly goes on the offensive with a series of lightning-fast arm drags, sending Chavo to the outside. Rey wastes no time, diving through the ropes with a suicide dive that sends Chavo crashing into the barricade. Rey sets up the ladder in the center of the ring, but as he begins to climb, Chavo recovers and pulls him down. Chavo attempts to whip Rey into the ladder, but Rey reverses and leaps onto the ladder, using it as a springboard to hit a twisting crossbody on Chavo! The crowd erupts as Rey pulls off the first high-risk move of the night. He then props the ladder against the ropes and whips Chavo into it, but Chavo reverses and sends Rey crashing into the ladder instead…

...Chavo, ever the strategist, realizes he needs to ground Rey. He grabs a ladder and slams it down onto Rey’s leg, focusing his attack on weakening Rey’s ability to fly. Chavo then locks in a single-leg Boston crab, using the ladder as leverage. Rey screams in pain, but there are no submissions in a ladder match. Chavo releases the hold and sets up the ladder under the briefcase, beginning his climb…

… Rey manages to get to his feet and pushes the ladder over, sending Chavo crashing to the mat. Rey builds some weird construction with ladders. Something like two ladders on their sides and one between them like a bridge. He puts Chavo on it and climbs to the top of the standing ladder. Legdrop from the very top... Chavo dodges... Rey crashes his body down on these ladders! Chavo, now in control, grabs the bent ladder and slams it onto Rey’s back repeatedly. He then sets up a ladder in the corner and positions Rey for a suplex. Chavo lifts Rey, but Rey shifts his weight and counters with a tornado DDT off the ladder! Both men are down...

... Both men set up ladders side by side and begin to climb simultaneously. They reach the top, trading punches, each man teetering on the brink of disaster. Rey gets the upper hand, smashing Chavo’s face into the top of the ladder. As Rey reaches for the briefcase... there's some man in the mask here. He pushes ladder with Rey down. Chavo looks at this man. Masked man invites him to grab the contract. Chavo understands nothing, but does it. And he wins! Rey Mysterio will never perform on Nitro again! (15:43, 84)

Post-match, the masked man congratulates Chavo. He slowly puts the mask off... and it's... to the shock of the crowd... EDDIE GUERRERO! He’s back in WCW! Chavo is shocked (but happy), everyone is shocked. Latino Heat is here!

Match 10, Street Fight: Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart. They finally meet each other at the center of the ring. The crowd buzzing with anticipation. It’s clear Bret isn’t in peak shape. Bret goes for a body slam, but his body gives out, allowing Michaels to counter with a quick DDT. Bret, realizing he needs to change the pace, rolls out of the ring to catch his breath. Michaels, not giving him any space, follows, but Hart slams his head into the barricade. Steel chair shot by Hitman! Whip into the steel steps. More chair shots. Back to the ring. Russian legsweep on the chair by Bret Hart. 1...2. Backdrop by HBK. HBK is on the top... Flying Elbow… missed! Hart Rolls HBK up. 1...2. Quick DDT by HBK...

… and he's ready for Sweet Chin Music! The announcers mention that similar superkick by another star almost killed Bret merely 3 years ago. Can his head take another one?.. It could be really dangerous. But fortunately for him Bret dodges, rolls HBK up and puts into a Sharpshooter! Michaels fights with everything he has, refusing to submit. And he grabs the rope! Bret Hart is furious…

… He's going for a Sharpshooter again, but HBK rolls him up. 1...2. Back on the feet… flying forearm by HBK! And now we're going to listen to Sweet Chin Music... Elix Skipper is running to the ring! He's on the apron… and gets a Sweet Chin Music! Doug Williams and Nigel McGuinness are also here, but they are immediately attacked by American Dragon with the chair. HBK is going for Sweet Chin Music again. And now there no one to help The Hitman. But wait… Some man is going through the crowd. He's in the ring! It's… it's… TEST FROM WWE?.. Yes, he's here! DEVASTATING BIG BOOT TO THE HEAD OF HBK! The crowd is booing. Pumphandle Slam on the steel chair by “Andrew Martin, superstar from another company” as Mike Tenay said! Bret pins HBK. 1...2...3. (11:12, 74)

Match 11: The Rock vs Jeff Jarrett. The Rock is definitely angry with Jeff Jarrett. The match begins with a furious exchange of punches, with The Rock gaining the upper hand, backing Jarrett into the corner. Jarrett quickly rolls out of the ring to regroup, but The Rock isn’t giving him any breathing room. He follows Jarrett outside and slams his head into the barricade. Jarrett, ever the opportunist, rakes The Rock’s eyes, blinding him momentarily. Jarrett then takes advantage, grabbing The Rock and sending him shoulder-first into the steel steps…

… Back in the ring, Jarrett focuses on The Rock’s injured shoulder, stomping it repeatedly before locking in a grounded hammerlock, applying pressure. A couple of shots and submissions later, and The Rock's shoulder is really injured…

… Jarrett whips The Rock into the ropes, looking for a back body drop, but The Rock counters with a swinging neckbreaker. Both men are down. The Rock takes control, hitting Jarrett with a series of punches, followed by a Samoan drop that shakes the ring. 1...2... NO!

… Frustrated, Jarrett reaches for his guitar, bringing it into the ring. The referee tries to stop him, but Jarrett shoves the ref aside. As Jarrett swings the guitar at The Rock, The Rock ducks, causing Jarrett to smash the guitar against the turnbuckle. The Rock then grabs Jarrett and plants him with a DDT. 1...2...2,5...NO!

The Rock Bottom attempt… Jarrett kicks out with elbows… DDT by Jarrett! 1...2. Diving fist drop by Jarrett from the second rope missed. Spinebuster by The Rock! People's Elbow! 1...2...NO!

Ok, it was a shock. Either People's Elbow has become weaker since WWE career (because there weren't a lot of people to kick out from it), or Jeff Jarrett is much stronger than we expected. The Rock is going after Jarrett - JJ hits a low blow with the leg! Figure-Four Leglock! The Rock screams in pain, trying desperately to reverse the hold. The crowd is fully behind The Rock. The Rock reverses the pressure, forcing Jarrett to release the hold…

… Both men struggle to their feet, exhausted and battered. Jarrett tries to hit The Rock with the Stroke, but The Rock elbows his way out of it. The Rock spins Jarrett around and hits him with the Rock Bottom out of nowhere! 1...2... and ...3! (16:45, 82)

Match 12, WCW World Heavyweight Championship: Goldberg vs Lance Storm. Goldberg quickly overpowers Lance Storm, shoving him across the ring. Knowing he can’t match Goldberg’s power, Storm shifts his strategy. He feints another lock-up but ducks under and delivers a swift low kick to Goldberg’s leg, followed by another, and another, trying to chop the big man down. Goldberg stumbles slightly, giving Storm an opening to hit a dropkick to Goldberg’s knee, taking him down to one leg. From now on Storm is dodging attacks by Goldberg and puts him into one submission after another, making him angry and weaker… up until Goldberg hits Spear out of nowhere! 1...2...NO!

… Goldberg lifts Storm for a Jackhammer… Storm wriggles free at the last second, landing behind Goldberg and immediately hitting a superkick to the back of Goldberg’s head! Storm covers, 1… 2… Goldberg kicks out! Storm is on the top rope. Missile dropkick! Goldberg jumps back on his feet immideately… and got a springboard dropkick from Storm again! 1...2…NO!

Lance Storm goes for a Maple Leaf submission… Goldberg rolls out of it, on his feet - and Spear again! Jackhammer attempt… and he hits it! This must be the end. 1… Bret Hart runs in… 2… Bret Hart pulls the referee out of the ring and knocks him down! Hart is in the ring with the championship belt, but before he could hit, Goldberg sees him! Bret begs for mercy. Goldberg knocks him down with a clothesline. Now the champion prepares for… superkick? The same superkick that ended Bret’s career and caused a stroke?... You must be kidding. But before damage could be done, Lance Storm hits a low blow!...

… Now Lance Storm grabs the championship belt. The ref is still down. Lance is waiting for Goldberg to be back on his feet. Wait, who’s that! Chris Kanyon is in the ring! And he hits Storm with a Flatliner! The crowd is crazy. Kanyon picks the belt… looks at the lying Storm… looks at Goldberg, who’s back on his feet… and HITS GOLDBERG WITH THE BELT!...

… He knocks out both of the competitors. But… why?... Chris Kanyon leaves the arena. The referee is back to life and what he sees? Both of the competitors are down. Bret Hart is down at ringside. The ref counts to 10. On the 9 both are slowly getting up… and with his last breath Goldberg hits a Spear again. 1…2…3. Goldberg retains the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, but let’s be honest, it wasn’t a clear and decisive win. (14:20, 78)

“Breaking the 4th Wall” Column aka My Notes:

Overall, it turned out to be a good show. 

I had originally planned to give the win to Raven and had a couple of interesting ideas for him in general, but Raven pissed me off with his attitude. First a few drug incidents. The final straw was his whining at the loss in the tag team match to Saturn. So it was a kind of punishment for him. Especially considering his drug and behavioral problems, it seemed that we wouldn't work with Raven for much longer. And here Raven surprised me a lot, putting on a great performance for once and making me think that maybe I was wrong and Raven would still make some noise in WCW. 

Surprisingly the best match of the show was the cruiserweight triple threat. That has never happened before.

Laughed at the fact that a lot of people thought Paul Heyman was the new general manager. The original plan was for Mick Foley, but I lost the bidding war with WWE. Mick prolonged his contract. So there was plan B - Randy Savage, who got a very cool rating in his first segment. I'm happy with that. And guessing Heyman is funny because...watch the next show.

Ken Shamrock was a huge disappointment. He wasn't like himself (from the times of his feud with Goldberg) at all. We'll see what happens next. I liked his work with Goldberg, he was truly main event worthy, but now... Anyway, he's on a pay-per-appearance basis, so there's always a way to back out. Maybe it’s a one-time glitch. (Unlike OHaire, who finally gave a good performance and gave me hope that I can have something come out of him. In the original plan, I would have put the belt on him early in 2002 lol.)

I hope you enjoyed it.

• Like 1