WCW: The one where Russian oligarch bought the company

dde01ig-179223a0-b54e-49cd-bfe3-7e67e27a1ea7.png

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #52

Last Night - Chris Kanyon defended his WCW World Heavyweight Championship against Sting in a very intense match.

Fireworks light up the arena. Tony Schiaove and Jerry Lawler sit behind the commentary desk tonight. Mike Tenay, however, is in California at Sting's home as Sting has a significant announcement for tonight's WCW Monday Nitro!

Match 1: Shannon Moore (w/ Christopher Daniels) vs Matt Sydal. Daniels joins the commentators and discusses his victory over Sabu, suggesting it's time for the 'Fallen Angel' to keep winning and ascend the ranks in WCW. Daniels also teases Sabu's partner, Vampiro. Meanwhile, in the ring, Matt Sydal impresses the crowd with a sequence of athletic maneuvers. Schiavone notes that this 19-year-old rookie could have a promising future in WCW if he maintains his performance. Moore sends Sydal into the corner but receives a kick to the face. Sydal executes a reverse DDT! 1...2. Matt climbs the top-rope. Daniels leaves the commentary desk and grabs Sydal's leg, but Matt shakes him off onto the ringside floor. Sydal attempts a Shooting Star Press - but Moore recovers in time to roll out of the way. Moore climbs the top-rope himself to perform a Moonsault. 1...2...3. (5:57) (74)

Post match, Daniels and Moore attack Sydal. Daniels delivers Last Rites. Daniels and Moore briefly celebrate before hoisting the rookie for another attack... Vampiro rushes into the ring, driving them away. Sydal requires medical assistance.

Backstage, a noticeably cheerful Eric Bischoff chats with Dusty Rhodes. Bischoff expresses his satisfaction with the recent Slamboree and its viewership. His mood, however, takes a hit with the unexpected arrival of Bravo TV special consultant Don Callis. (55)

At the parking lot, WCW World Heavyweight Champion Chris Kanyon arrives in limo. Kanyon announces his plan to celebrate his victory in the ring tonight. He promises cake, balloons, and plenty of praise for himself, as after all, nobody's better than Kanyon! (76)

‘The Face of WCW’ Sean O’Haire and Bobby Heenan in-ring promo. Heenan reminds the audience that his client is set to face Goldberg at the Great American Bash. Recently, all the fans have seen Goldberg's true colors: He can only defeat lesser competitors. Now he's up against a real challenger. And where is he? Nowhere. He's a coward. Heenan criticizes Goldberg's repeated absences and part-time schedule. This, according to Heenan, explains why the fans relate to him. They are the same cowards. O'Haire, however, won't wait until the PPV. He intends to show up consistently, calling out Goldberg until Goldberg finally has the courage to face him and receive the beating he deserves. (85)

After a commercial break, Bobby Heenan and Sean O’Haire are ready to leave. They're met by Don Callis. He has news for them - Goldberg will officially return to WCW next week! (62)

Match 2: Abyss (w/ James Mitchell) vs Paul London. Paul London seemed significantly outmatched against Abyss. His strikes did little to faze the monster. Consequently, Abyss quickly took the upper hand, torturing London much to the delight of his manager, Mitchell. Despite his predicament, Paul managed to execute a few moves. But they hardly phased Abyss, who ended the match with a Black Hole Slam. 1...2...3. (5:54) (75)

Post match, "The American Nightmare" Dustin Rhodes dashes into the ring! HE'S BACK! Abyss and Rhodes exchange blows. Abyss starts to gain the upper hand, but Rhodes dodges a punch and delivers an explosive Clothesline, knocking Abyss out of the ring! Lawler exclaims that this is the hardest hit Abyss has taken in WCW so far! Abyss attempts to return to the ring, but Mitchell advises against it. Together, they retreat up the ramp, leaving Rhodes with the microphone….

… Rhodes declares that Abyss nearly destroyed him last time. But if Abyss and Mitchell thought they could eliminate him so easily, they were mistaken. Rhodes is back, and he's ready for revenge. (70)

Backstage, Eric Bischoff meets Don Callis. Backstage, Eric Bischoff confronts Don Callis. He's not happy that Callis is bringing Goldberg back despite his previous actions. Callis reminds Bischoff that Goldberg brings in viewers, which is exactly what they need. Callis suggests that if Bischoff had paid attention to what viewers want in 1999, WCW might still be on top.

Ric Flair in-ring promo. He addresses the Slamboree incident, proclaiming that he's ready to school Corino any day, any month, any time, as he did before. He would did it at Starrcade 2001, if not for betrayal of his friend Arn Anderson. He did it at SuperBrawl. He did it with his friends at WarGames at Uncensored. And he would did it yesterday, if it weren't for Chavo Guerrero's interference. Despite the fact, that Ric Flair said repeatedly: he doesn't need any help. He would be the WCW US Champion. He calls Chavo out to face him in the ring right now…

… Chavo Guerrero makes his way to the ring. Chavo waits before speaking, listening to the audience chanting both his and Flair's names. Finally, he begins, acknowledging Flair's impressive career. Flair is synonime to WCW. But you know what? Chavo hates this old WCW. WCW, where his Uncle Eddie was overlooked despite his talents. WCW, where he was reduced to a low card despite his skills. Now there is a new WCW, where everyone has a shot. Flair thinks that he's still on the top. But he's not. Flair needed Chavo to fight the Horsemen before, he needed him yesterday, and he needs him now...

... Ric Flair appears taken aback by Chavo's blunt remarks. He suggests that if Chavo has doubts, he could easily prove his worth by beating Chavo right there and then. But just as tensions start to rise, Rey Mysterio enters the ring!...

... Rey tries to be a peacemaker. He says that he was on the sidelines for quite some time too. When he first entered the wrestling world, Ric Flair was already a legend. Chavo Guerrero was demonstrating his considerable potential. Rey had admired both of them. But now? Instead of uniting against the Four Horsemen, they're squabbling amongst themselves. Not cool! Rey reminds that he has the right to fight for WCW United States Championship and he has decided to invoke his right to that match. He's just come from Dusty Rhodes' office... Rey has secured his match at the Great American Bash! And he needs both Flair and Chavo to support him…

… Flair counters that Chavo is the reason he lost his chance at the United States Championship. Chavo retorts that if Flair had shown more humility, they wouldn't be in this situation. They start shoving each other. Mysterio attempts to intervene, but somehow, a punch is thrown... It's unclear who threw the first blow. But soon, it escalates into a brawl. Officials are called to break up the fight, separating the wrestlers while Mysterio is disappointed. (84)

Backstage, Chris Kanyon is arranging for his celebration. He orders extra balloons and champagne. WCW Cruiserweight Champion Jerry Lynn approaches to congratulate Kanyon on his victory. Kanyon retorts that unlike Lynn, he defeats his challengers rather than losing non-title matches and then parading around with the title - just like Lynn did after his match with Mysterio. Lynn takes offense and promises to prove to Kanyon and everyone else that he's a true champion.

Match 3: LAX (Homicide and Hernandez) vs Sonjay Dutt and Yang. Homicide and Hernandez continue their ascent in the WCW rankings, looking to cement their position as the next tag team championship contenders. Homicide attempts a Gringo Killer on Dutt, but Dutt counters with a Yakuza Kick. 1...2... Hernandez breaks it. He throws Sonjay with a Border Toss. 1...2... Yang dashes to help but receives a Gringo Killer from Homicide. 1...2...3. (6:25) (67)

Post match, Kaz Hayashi and Low Ki rush into the ring, assaulting the exhausted LAX members with chairs. Homicide and Hernandez fight back, resulting in a brawl that spills out of the ring. Only the efforts of WCW security and other personnel manage to quell the chaos.

WCW Cruiserweight Champion Jerry Lynn in-ring promo. He conveys that the WCW World Heavyweight Champion, Chris Kanyon, said things earlier that left a bad taste in his mouth. However, at their core, Kanyon's words were accurate. Thus, Lynn declares his intent to demonstrate that no one, in WCW or elsewhere, can defeat him in a WCW Cruiserweight Championship match. He issues an open challenge, ready to put the title on the line. (81)

Match 4, WCW Cruiserweight Championship: Jerry Lynn vs Brian Kendrick. Both wrestlers put on a stunning performance. Kendrick quickly proves himself a formidable challenger, taking the champion by surprise with a clothesline that sends Lynn out of the ring. Outside the ring, they trade heavy chops until Kendrick grounds Lynn with a potent lariat. Lynn makes it back into the ring and lands a dropkick on Kendrick. 1...2. Lynn traps Kendrick in a series of three German suplexes, followed by a slingshot DDT. 1...2. Despite several close calls, Kendrick eventually takes the lead. He attempts a Sliced Bread #2, but Lynn hangs onto the ropes. Kendrick hits a swinging DDT. 1...2. Both combatants simultaneously execute a crossbody, resulting in a double countout at 8. Lynn tries for a Cradle Piledriver, but Kendrick counters with a piledriver of his own. 1...2...NO! Brian Kendrick ascends the ropes, but Lynn shoves the ref into them, causing Kendrick to land a groin first onto the post. Superplex! Cradle Piledriver! 1...2...3. (12:50) (76)

Post match, Lynn barely receives his championship belt when Billy Kidman appears on the ramp. Kidman asserts that Lynn may believe he's defeated all challengers, that no one else backstage dares to challenge him. But Kidman begs to differ. Kidman challenges Lynn to a title match at the Great American Bash! (46)

We switch to a live broadcast from Sting's home in California. Mike Tenay welcomes the viewers. Across from Tenay sits Sting, or rather Steve Borden, sans makeup. Tenay questions him about his match against Chris Kanyon the previous night. Sting confesses that Kanyon took more out of him than he ever anticipated. He was on the brink of becoming the WCW World Heavyweight Champion for the 7th time, but it didn't happen. 

"I've been in wrestling longer than I can recall, possibly longer than some fans have been following the sport. I've squared off against the best. I've been with WCW since its inception. When WCW was on the brink of shutting down a year ago, it was one of the darkest days of my life. But now, a year later, we're still here. I look at the ring, I look at the locker room, and I see a constellation of young stars I never thought possible. Chris Kanyon, despite everything… He’s a great performer. He won last night. AJ Styles and American Dragon… Their matches are just great to watch. Brian Kendrick and Paul London - they represent the future of WCW. Lance Storm? One of the most talented individuals I've ever encountered. His in-ring prowess is astounding. Watching them perform, Mike, they leave it all in that ring… It’s just great…

… ...And that's when it hit me. The torch has to be passed on. Wrestlers like Lance Storm will bear this torch forward. One day, he'll be a WCW World Heavyweight Champion. He, and others like him, will pioneer a new era in WCW. I don't want to obstruct their path.

It's time for me to conclude my career.

It's time for me to retire.

This is one of the toughest decisions I've ever made. But it's a decision that must be made. Now. I'm out. Thank you."

Even Mike Tenay seems taken aback by this revelation. The broadcast from Sting's home abruptly ends. (72)

Match 5: Ric Flair, Chavo Guerrero and Rey Mysterio vs Steve Corino, Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli (w/ Arn Anderson and CW Anderson). From the start, Rey Mysterio found himself trying to unite his team. But it proved challenging as Flair and Guerrero kept stepping on each other's toes, each eager to take the lead. The Horsemen quickly exploited this chaos by strategically isolating Flair and Chavo, taking control of the match. But the tables turned when Rey Mysterio unexpectedly seized the lead. After receiving the hot tag, he successfully regained control for his team. But Chavo accidentally knocked down Flair. He tried to apologize, but got superkick from Corino. Steve pins him, Flair could help, but didn't. 1...2...3. (12:05) (87)

Post match, Rey Mysterio confronts Ric Flair about not breaking the pin, but Flair just leaves the ring.

It’s time for a celebration party by WCW World Heavyweight Champion Chris Kanyon. Firstly, he demands a red-carpeted path leading to the ring, not just inside it. Then insisted on having a special assistant to hold the ropes for him, setting the tone for the entire segment. Only then he grabs the mic. "Where are the balloons? I paid for a ton of them, where are they!" Soon, another member from the WCW staff appeared with the promised balloons. "I want to say from the bottom of my heart...Thank you to no one of you. There's really nothing to thank you for. Neither you nor the WCW office supported me. This WCW World Heavyweight Championship is entirely mine. Despite beating Goldberg… ending Booker T's career… and defeating your legend Sting, I still don't get the respect I deserve. Not from you, not from WCW. Where's my award ceremony? I had to organize everything myself, even paying for these balloons! Now it's time for my ceremony. In honor of the true world champion!” A cart full of champagne rolled into the hall. Kanyon opened a couple bottles, refusing to share, and demanded his hands be wiped clean. It was that way for a while...

... until Shawn Michaels interrupted! Kanyon braced for a fight.  "I'm not here to hit you. Not yet... But I can teach you about respect. It's not something you demand. It's something these people will give you. You've got to give it all in the ring. That's how you get the respect". Kanyon responds: "I don't need lectures from a broken down veteran. I'm the WCW World Heavyweight Champion. You're a has-been". HBK: "Well, then I've got nothing more to say... I told you, I'm ready for one match. You and me. And if you're the great WCW World Heavyweight Championship as you think you are, then put that title on the line against an old, broken down veteran."...

Before Kanyon could come up with another excuse to refuse the challenge, Don Callis interrupted! "Look, I've got enough negative reactions for one night at WCW Monday Nitro. From Eric Bischoff. From Sean O'Haire. From couple other WCW superstars... But I am ready for one more. See, I have a little bit of power here. I'm gonna use this power to provide the audience the spectacle they crave and deserve. So... Who wants to witness Shawn Michaels make a comeback and go for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship?". The crowd bursts into cheers. "Then it's done. Chris Kanyon will defend the WCW World Heavyweight Championship against Shawn Michaels at Great American Bash!"...

... Just as Kanyon is about to object, he's met with a Sweet Chin Music right in the middle of the ring! (100)

Overall: 89

• Like 3

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #53

WCW Monday Nitro starts with the fireworks and Mike Tenay and Jerry Lawler welcoming us from ringside. We jump straight into the action with the first match...

Match 1, #1 Contendership for WCW World Tag Team Championship: Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli (w/ Arn Anderson) vs LAX (Homicide and Hernandez). Hero and Castagnoli really want to compete again for the WCW World Tag Team Championship. They've persuaded the management that they didn't lose to Triple Threat at Slamboree, so they deserve another chance. But first, they have to prove themselves in tonight's match. To everyone's surprise, Homicide and Hernandez quickly take control. Arn Anderson tries to intervene but gets caught by the referee, who sends him away. But he's done enough - from then on, the Horsemen dominate. Castagnoli tackles Homicide with a Euro uppercut. 1...2. We see that CM Punk closely watches the match from the crowd! The commentators mention that this isn't the first time he's shown an interest in tag team matches. Meanwhile, Homicide regains control and hits Claudio with an enziguri. Hernandez is tagged in and bulldozes both opponents with clotheslines. But as he's running for another attack - CM Punk pulls the rope causing Hernandez to tumble out of the ring! Punk quickly hits him with a Shining Wizard at ringside! Back inside the ring, Hero and Castagnoli hit Homicide with a double big boot followed by a devastating combo of Disqus Big Boot/Euro uppercut. 1...2...3. (11:30) (75)

Post match, a pleased CM Punk exits the arena. An upset Hernandez enters the ring and attacks the winners. Hernandez and Homicide begin to overpower their former opponents. But then Rising Pain arrives - Kaz Hayashi and Low Ki join the fray against LAX. Together, the Horsemen with Hayashi and Low Ki manage to beat LAX. (52)

Backstage, Chris Kanyon arrives. He's very serious and asks right away for Don Callis' office.

Backstage, Tony Schiavone meets CM Punks and asks about interfering in tag team matches. Punk replies that he's been on the WCW sideline for a while. Each week he tries to make a name for himself but no one pays attention. He needs a title to get noticed. He's set his sights on the WCW World Tag Team Championship. But who's his partner? That's a secret for now… As he's talking, Punk is ambushed by LAX! He manages to escape. Pursuit is stopped by WCW security. Hernandez and Homicide challenge Punk to a match. Punk says no to a tag team match, but agrees to a one-on-one with Hernandez next week. (62)

Last Week - Sting announced he's retiring from wrestling.

Lance Storm in-ring promo. He says a lot is happening in WCW. Someone's attacking wrestlers backstage - even he's been attacked. But last week, something even bigger happened - Sting said he's retiring. "Sting, you may not know this. But I've always looked up to you. You're one of the main reasons I got into wrestling. I wanted to beat you, not because I didn't respect you. Quite the opposite. I respect you a lot. I wanted to earn your respect. Now, you talked about passing the torch to the next generation. You're right-- there are a lot of guys here who want to be stars, just like you and Ric Flair. But you know what? I don't want you to pass me the torch. I want to take it from you, in this ring, the way it should be in WCW. We've got a big event coming up, The Great American Bash. Isn't that a great way to end a career? You and me, Sting, at the Great American Bash. Let me take the torch from you myself." (61)

Backstage, Chris Kanyon is already in Callis' office. He's upset and demands the match against Shawn Michaels be called off. He argues that the HBK doesn't deserve a title match. The argument turns heated. Kanyon seems ready to throw a punch at Callis. Don advises him to calm down and save his energy. Especially since he might need it... after all, Goldberg is making a comeback to WCW tonight! (49)

Match 2: Christopher Daniels (w/ Shannon Moore) vs Matt Sydal. Last week, 19-year-old Matt Sydal put on a good show against Shannon Moore. He was close to winning if it wasn't for Daniels stepping in. After the match, Sydal was about to get attacked, but Vampiro came to his rescue. This time, Vampiro is at the commentator's table. He responds to Daniels' comments from last week, saying that if Daniels wants respect in WCW, he has to earn it. He needs to compete against real opponents. Vampiro is open to a challenge. Meanwhile, Sydal impresses everyone in the ring with a series of cool moves. Daniels is caught off guard by the young wrestler's speed. Shannon Moore distracts Sydal, giving Daniels the chance to hit Matt with Angel's Wings. 1...2...3. (5:20) (68)

Post match, Vampiro jumps in the ring and hits Moore with a superkick. Vampiro tries to get to Daniels, but he escapes. Vampiro yells out that he's ready to take on Daniels one-on-one. It seems like the challenge is accepted!

Match 3: Jerry Lynn, Petey Williams and Elix Skipper vs Billy Kidman, Brian Kendrick and Paul London. Jerry Lynn starts off strong, directing Skipper and Williams. He himself stays out of the action, trying to avoid a fight, especially with his future opponent Billy Kidman. With Lynn's guidance, his team manages to corner London. After a few quick tags, Lynn is forced in the ring and comes face to face with Kidman! A flurry of punches almost leads to the Kid Krusher, but Lynn evades the move and gets out of the ring. All the wrestlers are in the ring except for Lynn, who grabs the championship belt and heads up the ramp. The faces easily overpower their opponents, and Kidman ends the match with a Shooting Star Press on Williams. 1...2...3. (9:20) (74)

Last Week - Dustin Rhodes challenged Abyss to a match.

Tony Schiavone approaches the "cave" of James Mitchell and Abyss. Mitchell answers the door with Abyss looming behind him, clearly trying to intimidate Schiavone. Mitchell asks, "Scared? That's good. Fear and respect go hand in hand. Rhodes didn't have enough respect. Now all he has is fear. Rhodes said to stop him, we'd have to kill him? Well, we're ready. Abyss is ready. He's here to destroy. If he has to destroy and bury him to finally get rid of Rhodes, so be it. We accept the challenge. At the Great American Bash. In a special match - a Buried Alive match. Ahahahahahahahahahaha!"

Four Horsemen backstage interview. Steve Corino teases Rey Mysterio's claim to the WCW United States Championship, promising that the Great American Bash will be an easy win for him. He says that it will put Mysterio back in the cruiserweight division where he belongs. Schiavone counters by saying that Rey is a strong competitor. This annoys Corino, and he suggests Rey should beat one of the Horsemen, like CW Anderson tonight. (67)

Chavo Guerrero in-ring promo. He says there's a situation that needs to be resolved. The only way to do that is to talk to the man who started it. Chavo calls Ric Flair to the ring. A few moments later, Flair steps into the ring. Chavo brings up some recent events that have been bothering him. Flair's lack of respect for Mysterio. Flair's lack of respect for Chavo. And last week? They lost the match because of Flair's actions. Chavo respects Ric, he recognizes that Ric is a legend. But right now, he wants Flair to say sorry.

Ric Flair responds, "Sorry? To you? Listen, buddy. I'm Ric Flair. I'm the Nature Boy. You think you can tell me what to do? I was wrestling when your grandfather was only dreaming about it. And if you think because you're Chavo Guerrero, you can boss me around - I can still wipe the floor with you. Do you mistake me for someone else? I'm Flair. I'm still the dirtiest player in the game. I have issues with Corino - like most people here - I handle it. And if I have issues with Mysterio - and fans don't like it - I don't care. I'm Ric Flair. Neither you nor anyone else can demand anything from me. Got it, buddy?"...

… Chavo replies, "Alright, I get it. You're the Nature Boy. You don't want to listen to me. But you said something about a fight? So if you won't listen to my words, maybe you'll listen to my fist?" Flair responds: "Is that a challenge? To me? A challenge to the Nature Boy?" "You bet it is." "Alright! I accept!" Flair extends his hand. Chavo grins: "You think I don't know what comes after a handshake? Let me tell you something. You might be the dirtiest player in the game, but I'm a Guerrero. Lie, cheat, and steal are in my blood. That's how we roll. So… Are you still want to do that handshake?" Chavo shakes his hand. The crowd is tense. Finally, as Chavo turns away slightly, Flair tries to cheap attack.... But Chavo ducks and swings back... and misses. Flair escapes the ring. He smiles and even seems to respect Guerrero a little. (88)

Match 4: Rey Mysterio vs CW Anderson (w/ Four Horsemen). The Horsemen immediately surround the ring. They constantly distract Rey Mysterio. Rey starts strong and quickly takes the lead against a stronger opponent. But the Horsemen outside the ring keep diverting his attention. CW catches him with a powerful powerslam. From then on, Anderson dominates the match. Steve Corino enjoys watching Mysterio get beat up. Anderson delivers a Fallaway Slam. 1...2. CW prepares for a spinebuster, but Rey leaps onto his shoulders - bulldog! Both men are down. Anderson tries to catch Rey in a bearhug, but Mysterio escapes with a tornado DDT. 1...2. Mysterio avoids a lariat. Dropkick by Rey! 6-1-9! West Coast Pop. 1...2...3. (11:07) (82)

Post match, Four Horsemen attack Rey Mysterio. The commentators notice that this time, Flair and Guerrero are too wrapped up in their own issues to come to Rey's rescue. It seems like Rey has no one to help him.... But then, WCW World Tag Team Champions AJ Styles and American Dragon run into the ring! Hero gets a belt shot and falls out of the ring. Corino and Arn Anderson make a quick escape. The champions clear the ring of the rest and help Rey Mysterio up.

WCW World Heavyweight Champion Chris Kanyon in-ring promo. "Everyone's excited for Goldberg tonight, right? So sweet. Everyone's talking about Goldberg. His big comeback. The guy I beat at Uncensored to snatch this world championship belt from him. And then, Goldberg couldn't handle the pressure. Instead of fighting for a chance to rematch me, the great champion - what did he do? He freaked out and started attacking people. And he got suspended. That's what he deserved! Everyone's waiting for his big comeback. But if anyone deserves attention, it's me. Goldberg is stealing my spotlight and my time! I'm the one beating all your favorite wrestlers to defend this WCW World Heavyweight Championship. I'm the one being hunted by the crazy Shawn Michaels with his false accusations. I'm the one being treated unfairly by the management. I'm the one who..." Suddenly, Chris Kanyon is interrupted by... drum roll! To the cheers of the fans, Goldberg enters the ring! Kanyon cautiously backs up to the ring corner, ready to run at any moment...

... Goldberg circles the ring for a few seconds then picks up a microphone. "I haven't been here for a while. Am I taking up your attention and your time? Well, it's a good time to remind you - I'm here for the World Championship belt and the rematch. You're next!"...

… But before Kanyon can respond or start a fight... Bobby Heenan and "The Face of WCW" Sean O'Haire walk into the arena! Heenan starts talking from the ramp, "Look at him! This is all about Goldberg. That's what privileged Goldberg does. Every week he's challenged by WCW's most promising rising star, Sean O’Haire. Every week Goldberg shows up here and attacks that star without warning. And now he's finally allowed to return. Do you think Goldberg will answer a fair challenge? Nope. He'll use all his tricks to get another title match. Let me tell you, friend. If anyone deserves a title match, it's Sean O'Haire. And you still have a match scheduled with him at the Great American Bash. So you'll have to beat Sean first if you want to get back in the game. But you know what? No one can beat Sean. So you're the one who's next!" (89)...

... At this point, Chris Kanyon attacks Goldberg from behind! Kanyon starts punching him. Goldberg starts to fight back... but then, Sean O'Haire steps into the ring. Together, O'Haire and Kanyon take on Goldberg. And then Shawn Michaels runs into the ring to make a save! HBK sends O'Haire out of the ring, Kanyon escapes himself. Shawn helps Goldberg to his feet... and Goldberg pushes him away! There's tension between the two. It seems Goldberg hasn't completely forgotten that Shawn is the reason he lost the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. Kanyon and O'Haire retreat to the ramp, while Shawn Michaels and Goldberg face off...

... Bobby Heenan whispers something to Sean and Chris. Kanyon likes the idea. He takes the microphone and says he's ready to give everyone what they want. Kanyon proposes the biggest main event in Nitro history - next week, Kanyon and O'Haire vs. Goldberg and Shawn Michaels! Tenay sees his plan - the tension between Shawn and Goldberg is palpable. At this point, the show ends. (74)

Overall: 82

• Like 2

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #54

Welcome to WCW Monday Nitro! Mike Tenay and Jerry Lawler kick off the show, reminding us of the thrilling matches we can expect tonight. First, AJ Styles and American Dragon are set to defend their WCW World Tag Team Championship against The Horsemen - Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli. Plus, we have what's being called the "biggest main event in Nitro history" - Goldberg and Shawn Michaels battling Chris Kanyon and Sean O'Haire. This is the first time Shawn Michaels will be in the ring after a 4-year break. And his first time in a WCW ring ever!

Shawn Michaels opens the show. “I've waited four years for this day. Four long years dreaming about stepping back into this ring. And not to hold the mic, not to taunt the other guy or pretend like everything's normal. I dreamed about stepping back into the ring to do what I do best - put on a fantastic show for you all. I've visited every doctor from the West Coast to the East Coast, even the weirdest ones. They all said I'd never have another match in this ring again. Every next match could put me in a wheelchair. But you know what? That hit-and-run car accident was probably the best thing that happened to me. Because now I know… I can still do it. I can still get in the ring. Maybe I won't be the Showstopper you expect and deserve. But I can still fight. I can still punch Chris Kanyon in the face. And tonight's match is going to prove it. I can't wait. I hope you're all as excited as I am." Just as Shawn is about to leave, he's interrupted by.... drum roll!...

… Goldberg is here! "Big comeback? Congrats. Everyone remembers the great Shawn Michaels. But you know what else everyone remembers? How you started all my problems. Starting with how you made me lose the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. I'm glad you're back, Shawn. Really. But if you think I'm happy to be your tag team partner tonight... think again!" Shawn tries to respond, but Goldberg cuts him off. "Not now! And if you mess up one more time.... Chris Kanyon won't be your biggest problem. Because I'll put you back in your wheelchair myself." Before Shawn can reply.....

…. WCW World Heavyweight Champion Chris Kanyon walks out onto the ramp!  "Well, well, well... look at this team. You two want to step in the ring tonight? Seriously? Seems like you both have a problem facing reality. And the reality is, Shawn, you're half-disabled. You haven't been in that ring in four years. The doctors warned you that every match could be your last. And you know what, Shawn? The doctors are right! I wasn't driving the car that hit you. But I swear I'll put you in a wheelchair. Maybe not today, but definitely at the Great American Bash. And Don Callis and his whole network will regret it forever. But I won't care, Shawn. And Goldberg, the mighty Goldberg. Once unbeatable. But look at you now. Are you nervous that someone could stop you? Am I the reason for your emotional breakdown?  Is that why you got suspended? You guys are in denial. Because tonight, you're facing Sean O'Haire, one of the world's most talented young wrestlers. And me, Chris Kanyon, the WCW World Heavyweight Champion. You'll be stepping into the ring against the best of the best. So enjoy your evening. Because I'm ready to put Shawn in a wheelchair for good. And you, Goldberg, I'm ready to beat you again. Anytime. Anywhere. And put an end to the "undefeated Goldberg" legend once and for all.” (100)...

… Goldberg is furious. He calls Kanyon into the ring. Chris starts to approach... but then Sean O'Haire sneaks into the ring from behind and attacks Goldberg! Shawn tries to help him. Kanyon climbs up the apron - Shawn knocks him down. Shawn tries to hit O'Haire with Sweet Chin Music... but misses and takes down Goldberg instead! O'Haire leaves the ring, joining Kanyon on the ramp. And Shawn is left alone in the ring with the consequences of his mistake. (76)

Match 1: CM Punk vs Hernandez (w/ Homicide). Before the match, CM Punk stirred up quite a fuss, insisting that Homicide be ejected from the arena. The referee complied. Just then, Hernandez charged at Punk and seized control. He hurled Punk into a corner and served an STO backbreaker. 1...2. Hernandez prepared for the Border Toss. Punk grabbed the ropes and leaped off. Low blow! Punk rolled Hernandez into a hold, using the ropes for leverage. 1...2...3. (6:39) (70)

Post match, Hernandez, angrier than ever, attacks Punk and flattens him with a heavy lariat. Hernandez lifts Punk for a final move... Here’s SAMOA JOE! Joe takes Hernandez down with a senton and applies a choke hold. Officials and referees rush into the ring. Homicide follows closely behind. Only then does Joe let go of Hernandez and retreats with CM Punk. (57)

After a commercial break, happy CM Punk and Samoa Joe with no emotions at all run into Tony Schiavone. Punk announces that Joe is his tag team partner and they're on a quest for the WCW World Tag Team Championship from now on.

Match 2: Jamie Noble vs CW Anderson (w/ Arn Anderson). Noble strikes fast, targeting Anderson's leg right away. After a while Noble tries a suplex, but Arn Anderson interferes by grabbing his leg. As Noble tries to shake him off, CW Anderson reverses it into a vertical suplex of his own. 1...2. Anderson sends Noble into the ropes and finishes him off with a spinebuster. 1...2...3. (6:59) (82)

Backstage, Shawn Michaels walks, asking for Goldberg's locker room. He intends to apologize.

Backstage, Four Horsemen congratulate the Andersons on their win. Steve Corino gives an inspiring speech, claiming today as the Horsemen's day. CW has just won. Hero and Castagnoli need to recapture the WCW World Tag Team Championship. And Corino himself is preparing to face Mysterio and Guerrero in a tag team match, with another great champion, Jerry Lynn, as his partner. (79)

AJ Styles and American Dragon backstage interview. All attention tonight is on Shawn Michaels' big return. But they promise a phenomenal match too, defending their WCW World Tag Team Championship. (79)

Match 3: ‘American Nightmare’ Dustin Rhodes, Vampiro and Sabu vs Abyss (w/ James Mitchell), Christopher Daniels and Shannon Moore. Led by Rhodes, the faces knock their opponents out of the ring almost immediately. James Mitchell constantly interfered. here's a moment when Rhodes almost reaches Mitchell, much to the fans' delight, but Abyss saves his "father" just in time. Near the end, Rhodes receives the hot tag and immediately takes down Daniels and Moore. Suddenly, the lights go out. The music starts playing. A spotlight reveals an open grave next to the ramp! Rhodes is distracted... that's when Abyss strikes him in the head with a shovel! The lights come back on. Daniels and Moore toss Sabu out of the ring. Vampiro gets a Black Hole Slam. 1...2...3. (9:50) (77) 

Post match, Abyss grabs Rhodes and drags him towards the grave! He plans to bury him without waiting till PPV! Rhodes fights back. Dustin dodges one of the punches and lands a Bionic Elbow! Abyss tumbles straight into the grave! Dustin grabs Mitchell then! WCW security stop Dustin before it escalates more. WCW Commissioner Dusty Rhodes is here, trying to reason his son. Dustin shouts threats at James Mitchell. Meanwhile, Abyss sits in the grave and... laughs? (76)...

… in the meantime Daniels and Moore beat down Vampiro and Sabu in the ring. Sabu is brutally thrown into the steel steps and receives several chair kicks. They prepare a table for Vampiro. But who comes to the rescue... Matt Sydal?! Sydal attacks Daniels. But Daniels and Moore manage to handle him. Sydal receives Angel's Wings from Daniels. Christopher places Sydal on a table... Shannon Moore performs a Moonsault! The commentators praise Sydal's bravery. But now he needs a medical help... again. (48)

Right after we're back from commercials, the camera zooms in on our commentators who look really worried. It seems like another wrestler is in bad shape and needs medical help. We find out that during the commercial break...

...Shawn Michaels was found backstage lying in a pool of blood! He can't get up. The medics are paying special attention to his back. A stretcher is quickly brought in... (75)

Who could've attacked Michaels? Was it Goldberg? Maybe Kanyon? Or O'Haire? Or even someone else? The biggest question of all: will HBK be able to compete in tonight's match?

While all this is happening, Ric Flair makes his way out and joins the commentators.

Match 4: Rey Mysterio and Chavo Guerrero vs Steve Corino (w/ Arn Anderson) and Jerry Lynn.  tries to justify his recent behavior. He says Mysterio disrespected him first. Sure, Mysterio is talented, but isn't he better suited for the minor leagues? As for Chavo, Ric would love to beat him at the Great American Bash. Will he play dirty? Flair insists he's ready to win the fair way. Meanwhile, in the ring, Mysterio and Guerrero start off strong, quickly controlling the match. Arn Anderson playfully teases Flair, almost causing a fight. Chavo overpowers Lynn, knocks him out of the ring, and follows him out. Chavo and Flair exchange words, with Flair ready to brawl. This distraction allows Lynn to knock Chavo down with a dropkick. Jerry brings Guerrero back into the ring and together with Corino, they dominate the match. However, Chavo regains control with a tilt-o-whirl backbreaker and tags in Mysterio. Unfortunately, Rey's lead is short-lived as Corino lands a gutbuster on him. Chavo interferes, knocking Corino out of the ring. Chavo and Corino brawl, with Corino pushing Chavo into Flair. A heated argument between Guerrero and Ric is about to escalate when Mysterio prepares to execute a 6-1-9 on Lynn, but is distracted by Flair and Guerrero. Corino uses this opportunity to attack Rey from behind and lands the Old School Expulsion. 1...2...3. (12:17) (87)

Post match, officials have to intervene again to prevent a fight between Chavo Guerrero and Ric Flair.

An ambulance leaves the arena carrying Shawn Michaels to the hospital. Eric Bischoff is furious. His main event is now in trouble. Michaels definitely can't compete in the match. Eric vows to find out who did this and promises to punish them.

After a commercial break, Bobby Heenan, Chris Kanyon and Sean O'Haire  are seen enjoying the current situation. But their smiles quickly vanish when Eric Bischoff walks in. All three deny having anything to do with the attack on Michaels and point fingers at Goldberg. When Eric mentions cancelling the match, Kanyon quickly cuts him off. He says the fans bought tickets for "the biggest main event in Nitro history" and cancelling it would be unfair. He also mentions it's not even legal to cancel. O'Haire chimes in, saying Goldberg isn't escaping him this time. So, does this mean we'll have a handicap match?

Sting in-ring promo. He calls out Lance Storm. "Lance, I've had some time to ponder over a few things recently. About myself, my career, and your challenge. I've been wrestling with the very best for a long time. Looking back, I wouldn't change a thing. But then, there's you. If you'd started alongside me, you'd probably be a legend by now, one of the best. I believe there's much more ahead for you. I'd be honored to end my career with a match against you. I accept your challenge!" Sting reaches out to shake Storm's hand, and Lance takes it. However, Sting doesn't release it immediately. He grins. "Don't think for a moment that I plan to lose this one. Sure, it could be my last match, but I promise it'll be the one where I'm the most focused, the most aggressive. It'll be your toughest match, Lance Storm!" Sting tries to leave, but it's Storm, who stops him now! He grabs the mic from Sting.  "I wouldn't have it any other way. You've been saying I have great talent... Sting, you'll see for yourself at the Great American Bash. I also hope you don't assume I'll hold back just because this might be your last match." Satisfied with Storm's response, Sting shakes his hand one more time before leaving the ring. (68)

Match 5, WCW World Tag Team Championship: AJ Styles and American Dragon vs Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli (w/ Arn Anderson). Styles and Dragon waste no time showing why they're the tag team champions. They quickly take control of the match, knocking the Horsemen out of the ring. Hero and Castagnoli regroup, discussing tactics before returning to the ring. After some back and forth, Hero and Castagnoli set up for the Doomsday Device on Dragon. But Dragon counters, rolling Hero up for a pin...1...2...NO! That was a near fall. Arn Anderson grabs Dragon's leg, but he fights off the interference. He turns and gets caught by Hero's Welcome! 1...2...NO! AJ Styles breaks the pin just in time. Styles then lays Hero out with a Styles Clash! 1...2...NO! Anderson interferes again, this time breaking the count by pulling Styles's leg. Styles, undeterred, tries to finish off Hero with a Shooting Star Press, but Castagnoli intercepts him with a Euro uppercut! 1...2...NO! All four wrestlers are worn out from this epic match. Arn Anderson throws the championship belt into the ring. The ref catches this and starts arguing with Arn. Meanwhile, Styles pins Claudio, but the ref doesn't see it. The audience counts to at least 4! Finally, Castagnoli manages to break free. Castagnoli and Styles simultaneously knock each other down with clotheslines. All the wrestlers are down, trying to get back up. That's when CM Punk and Samoa Joe rush into the ring! Punk takes down the rising Dragon with a Shining Wizard, while Joe levels Castagnoli with a lariat. Styles suffers a Muscle Buster from Joe. Joe then puts Styles in a chokehold and Punk applies the Anaconda Vice on Castagnoli! The referee has no choice but to stop the match. (12:18) (76)

After the ring bell, Punk and Joe continue their rampage. Referees flood the ring, trying to restore order, but to no success. Security guards arrive, backed up by the remaining Horsemen and LAX! Looks like the entire locker room is here to stop Punk and Joe. Samoa Joe is unimpressed He stands his ground, ready to take on anyone who comes his way! Only Punk manages to persuade him to exit the arena, which they do through the crowd.

Match 6: Goldberg vs Chris Kanyon and ‘The Face of WCW’ Sean O’Haire (w/ Bobby Heenan). Kanyon tried to hide behind O'Haire's back all the time. Together, Kanyon and O'Haire throw Goldberg out of the ring and smash him into the steel steps. Not once, but thrice! Back in the ring, Kanyon nails a Flatliner on Goldberg. 1...2...NO! Kanyon tags in Sean O'Haire, who immediately delivers a Widow Maker. 1...2...NO! Kanyon and O'Haire ponder their next move. Eventually, O'Haire brings the steel steps into the ring, intending to Tombstone Goldberg despite the referee's objections. Wait... It's SHAWN MICHAELS! He's back! HBK jumps into the ring and rains punches down on Kanyon! The joy is short-lived, though. Kanyon and O'Haire gang up on HBK. But Goldberg gets up on his feet. SPEAR on O'Haire! Chris Kanyon turns, sees the situation and immideately exits the ring. Heenan tries to persuade him to get back, but Chris only replies with "go here yourself, idiot!". O'Haire gets Jackhammer from Goldberg. 1...2...3. (11:15) (79)

Post match, Shawn Michaels merely glances at Goldberg before exiting the ring. He heads straight to the backstage. Goldberg watches him leave with a puzzled expression. The broadcast ends on this note.

Overall: 84

• Like 2

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #55

CM Punk and Samoa Joe open the show. Punk speaks. "A surprise opening, isn’t? CM Punk kicking off the show. That's a first. No big-time stars. Where's Shawn Michaels? Goldberg? Sting? Flair? No, the true talent finally takes the spotlight. And you're all shocked. Hypocrites! You shout for real wrestling, real athletes at your online message boards. Yet, you pay to watch 'stars' and 'celebrities', even if they can't do shit in the ring. You shell out money for acrobats like Styles and pint-sized performers like Dragon. You overlook the real power, the genuinely dangerous men. So, let me introduce you to a real beast, Samoa Joe. We're aiming for the WCW World Tag Team Championship. And you can't do a thing about it."... (67)

… Someone begs to differ. Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli make their way to the ramp. Hero claims that WCW has been treating them unjustly. They didn't lose at Slamboree. They didn't lose last week. Yet, they're still without titles. Castagnoli adds that it's all about Punk and Joe. They demand a title match but plan to deal with the two jerks in the ring first. The Horsemen start towards the ring, only to be halted by music...

...LAX! Homicide and Hernandez make their entrance. After some crowd-taunting, they claim they're first in line to take down Punk and Joe. Punk finds this amusing. A brawl breaks out between LAX and the Horsemen! It's unclear who strikes first. Punk and Joe dive out of the ring to join in. That's how the show kicks off. Then Kaz Hayashi and Low Ki charge out and attack LAX

...A big brawl is here. WCW Commissioner Dusty Rhodes shows up with security, and we cut to a commercial ... (56)

After the break, order is restored, and Dusty Rhodes stands with a microphone. Rhodes notes that Punk and Joe have turned half the locker room against them. If it were up to him, he wouldn't stop anyone from throwing them out of the building. But he's there to maintain order and deliver a great wrestling show. So if Punk and Joe want a title match, they need to earn it. Dusty announces a four-team elimination match. The winner gets a shot at the Great American Bash for the WCW World Tag Team Championship! The match starts now! (55)

Match 1, #1 Contendership for WCW World Tag Team Championship: CM Punk and Samoa Joe vs Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli vs LAX (Homicide and Hernandez) vs Rising Pain (Kaz Hayashi and Low Ki). Punk and Joe draw the immediate wrath of their opponents. Then, Kaz Hayashi and Low Ki turn their attention to LAX. Hayashi and Low Ki ground Homicide with hard leg kicks. They attempt a double hold, but Hernandez blindly tags in and delivers a big boot to Low Ki, who flies out of the ring, and a Border Toss to Hayashi. 1...2...3. LAX celebrates prematurely as Hayashi and Low Ki re-enter the ring and attack them! The brawl between Rising Pain and LAX spills outside the ring. Hernandez and Low Ki fight on the ramp, while Homicide and Hayashi are amongst the crowd! The referee counts out LAX. They are eliminated. Meanwhile Joe floors both opponents. He lifts Hero and slams him headfirst into the ring post. Sidewalk slam. CM Punk tags in. Punk knocks Hero with a springboard clothesline. 1...2. Hero counters a submission with a dropkick and tags in Castagnoli. Claudio rushes in with a series of punches and a Euro uppercut. He sends Punk into the ropes - big boot! 1...2. Claudio knocks Samoa Joe off the apron. Punk tries a spear, misses, and crashes into the post. An infuriated Joe illegally attacks Castagnoli, throws him into the steel post multiple times ankle-first. He literally destroys his ankle! Castagnoli tries to get back in the ring, limping. He’s seriously injured. The referee wants to stop the match. Claudio insists on continuing, but the ref calls it off anyway. (13:19) (66)

We're back to the announcers. Mike Tenay and Jerry Lawler finally get a chance to properly welcome the audience. They announce that we'll hear from Shawn Michaels, interviewed from his home in San Antonio, about the attack on him last week. 

Backstage, we see Matt Sydal warming up. He's joined by Vampiro and Sabu. Vampiro pays his respects to Matt and offers to be his tag team partner tonight. Sydal is thrilled to accept.

Match 2: Vampiro and Matt Sydal vs Christopher Daniels and Shannon Moore. Matt Sydal starts off the match against Moore. Throughout the match, Vampiro is actively giving him tips. Sydal gains an early advantage and tags in the seasoned Vampiro to keep it. He downs both opponents. Nail in the Coffin attempt... blocked. Daniels tries an Angel's Wings but is also blocked. Eventually Vampiro and Daniels tumble out of the ring and continue their brawl there. Sydal is somewhat distracted by this and is hit with a Rocker Dropper from Moore followed by a Moonsault. 1...2...3. (6:33) (76)

Backstage, "American Nightmare" Dustin Rhodes storms into the office of his father, WCW Commissioner Dusty Rhodes. He's furious that his own dad stopped him from completely destroying Abyss last week. They argue. Dusty couldn't let that happen. Finally, Dustin states he's going to finish what he started today. And he doesn't care what his father thinks. He warns him against intervening again.

After a commercial break, Dustin Rhodes is here for in-ring promo. immediately challenges Abyss to come out. He doesn't want to wait for the PPV. No security tonight. No referees. No road agents. Rhodes wants to settle things here and now. But no one responds to his challenge. Suddenly the lights in the arena go out. The spotlight moves away from the arena to reveal fresh dirt and tombstone. Rhodes jumps out of the ring and runs over. He stops next to the grave, bends down to read the inscription on the tombstone and sees his name. Suddenly, a hand shoots out of the grave and grabs Rhodes by the throat! It's Abyss! Abyss attacks Rhodes. Dustin fights back but Abyss floors him with a Chokeslam! He throws Dustin into the grave and starts to bury him. Luckily, Dusty Rhodes is here with WCW Security. It takes a large number of guards to restrain Abyss, but they eventually do. (84)

Backstage, Don Callis is in Eric Bischoff’s office. Don reminds him that under Eric's watch, there have been multiple attacks on the show. First Lance Storm. Now Shawn Michaels. The TV Network is getting worried. Bischoff retorts that there were no attacks until Callis arrived. Eric assures him he can handle it. (44)

Chavo Guerrero joins the announcers. 

Match 3: Ric Flair vs Jerry Lynn. Chavo speaks with great respect for Flair, but Ric needs to make up his mind. Who does he want to remain in the minds of the fans? A legend? Or the dirtiest player ever? Chavo wants their match at the PPV to be a respect match. But they're getting farther and farther away from that every day. And Flair's behavior is to blame. As for the match, it started off with a tech showdown where Lynn did a pretty good job. He knocks Flair down and taunts the legend. Another attempt to knock Ric down, but this time Flair proves to be stronger. He hits a chop - and Lynn falls out of the ring! At ringside Flair argued with Chavo. This allows Lynn to grab the lead. After some nearfalls Lynn goes for the Cradle Piledriver, but Flair hits a low blow! Figure-Four Leglock. Jerry Lynn gives up. (12:18) (84)

Post match, Ric Flair refuses to release Lynn. Chavo Guerrero intervenes. Ric and Chavo come face to face. Chavo shoves Flair and yells "what are you doing?". Things are about ready to come to a brawl. However, Chavo turns away and is about to leave the ring. At that moment, Lynn kicks Flair in the back - and Flair knocks Chavo down! Lynn quickly escapes, and Chavo, thinking he's gotten a cheap attack, attacks Flair and delivers a Gory Buster! (74)

We have a live video from Shawn Michaels’ home in San Antonio. HBK starts off by saying that he is tired of getting sneaky back stabs and attacks. He mentions an incident from long ago when he was hit by a car. He thinks it was Chris Kanyon behind the wheel, but he isn't entirely sure. Recently, someone assaulted Lance Storm. Same guys attack him. Who benefited from that? His first guess is Chris Kanyon again. Especially because the attack happened right before a match where the HBK would do anything to get to Kanyon's throat. would do anything to get to Kanyon's throat. A lot of people are also thinking on Goldberg. Michaels understands why. Yes, Shawn cost him the world title. Yes, they disliked each other from the start and are unlikely to be friends. But Shawn respects Goldberg. He doesn't think it was him. Although...

... But before HBK can continue, Goldberg enters the ring! He grabs a mic: "I'm tired of listening to this nonsense. Do I have a problem with Shawn Michaels? Hell yeah. I have a problem with him. Do I solve my problems by attacking people from behind. Hell, no! If my problems with you got to that level, you'd get your Spear in the center of this ring.".

HBK agrees, and that's why he doesn't suspect Goldberg. That's why last week when Michaels was ready, he stepped back into the ring and helped Goldberg in the match. Michaels also mentions a crucial point that he had not disclosed before. Despite the attack happening from behind, Shawn is sure - there was more than one attacker. At least two. Goldberg replies, "See, that's another way to show it wasn't me. I don't need help to beat you." Shawn Michaels adds, "Well, that's besides the point. But I also think it was Kanyon."...

... It's about time for WCW World Heavyweight Champion Chris Kanyon to appear in the arena. He enters the ring but keeps his distance from Goldberg, which Goldberg finds amusing. Kanyon complains, "I'm fed up with these accusations. I'm tired of everyone saying I drove the car, that I attacked you and everyone else. I beat you, Goldberg, in a fair, one-on-one match. I beat the five-time world champion, Booker T, and ended his career. I beat Sting and ended his career too. Can't you see that I don't need to cheat? That I can fairly beat all of you one on one? That wasn't me. You know, Shawn, I didn't want a match against you at the Great American Bash. Not because I'm scared, that's ridiculous. It's because I don't think you're worthy. There are many guys backstage who deserve it more. But now I want it. I'm looking forward to it. I dream about it. To finally silence you and everyone else. When I end your career, everyone will recognize me as their champion. I'll see you at the Great American Bash. I won't stand here and listen to any more of this nonsense."

… As Kanyon is about to exit the ring, Eric Bischoff's music stops him. Bischoff shows up on the ramp, saying the situation has spiraled out of control and management needs to step in. Eric promises to find out who's behind these attacks, but for now, they all need to calm down. So both Kanyon and Goldberg can take the day off…

… Don Callis interrupts! He blames Bischoff for all this backstage tension. They need to vent. Not taking the day off. As a special consultant for Bravo TV, Callis thinks they need to do so in a proper match. Callis reverses Bischoff's decision. Both Goldberg and Kanyon will have their matches tonight. Goldberg will face off against Steve Corino in a non-title match, and Kanyon will team up with Mark Jindrak to fight Sting and Lance Storm.

After a commercial break, WCW US Champion Steve Corino meets Don Callis backstage. Corino isn't thrilled about his match against Goldberg. He feels he should be fully preparing for his upcoming match with Mysterio at Great American Bash. Callis laughs, saying "Ah, Mysterio... Now you worry about him? You said different last week..." Corino threatens Callis, but Callis responds by saying he can make this match a title match, which might relieve Corino's worry about defending his title at the PPV. Corino is ready to strike, but Arn Anderson holds him back, promising to deal with Goldberg.

Match 4: Sting and Lance Storm vs Chris Kanyon and Mark Jindrak (w/ Ted DiBiase). At first, Chris Kanyon seems to not care about the match, leaving Jindrak out. As a result, Sting and Storm easily take control. The first sign of trouble comes when Lance Storm tags himself in, taking over from Sting. Sting does the same a few minutes later. Sting takes down Jindrak with a Scorpion Deathdrop! 1...2... Kanyon breaks the hold. Storm goes after him. Sting accidentally hits Lance! The two start arguing, and Kanyon uses the distraction to roll Sting into a pin with feet on the ropes. Storm tries to break it, but gets a superkick from Jindrak. 1...2...3. (7:55) (79)

Match 5, Non-Title: Steve Corino (w/ Arn Anderson) vs Goldberg. Corino immediately leaves the ring. Goldberg chases him around the arena. He finally catches him and knocks down with a strong clothesline. Arn Anderson distracts Goldberg, allowing Corino to take down Goldberg and start attacking his leg. Goldberg fights back with a series of punches, a Gorilla Press Slam, and a Backdrop! Steve Corino desperately tries eye poke. It leads knocking the ref down by blinded Goldberg. Goldberg lands a Powerslam! Arn Anderson calls for help. The other Horsemen rush the ring. Chris Hero gets a Superkick! Spear on Castagnoli! CW Anderson lands a Spinebuster on Goldberg. The Horsemen gang up on Goldberg. The ref is back. He sees it and stops the match. DQ. (10:08) (78)

Post match, there someone to make a save... REY MYSTERIO? Mysterio leaps onto Hero with a springboard hurricanrana. Claudio gets hit with a dropkick. Eventually Horsemen still manage to overpower Mysterio. Hero and Castagnoli hold Rey down while Corino lands punch after punch. But now Goldberg is on his feet... A massive brawl ensues - Mysterio and Goldberg against the Horsemen. It's an even fight until... Sean O'Haire interferes! He attacks Goldberg! Mysterio tries to fight Sean, but gets hit with a Widow Maker. The Horsemen continue to beat up Goldberg while O'Haire drags Rey out of the ring and brutally smashes his back into the steel post. Mysterio needs medical help as the show ends for tonight. (80)

Overall: 84

• Like 1

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #56

Earlier Tonight - Rey Mysterio, who's bandaged up due to the events of the last show, challenged Sean O'Haire to a match. It will happen tonight at WCW Monday Nitro!

Mike Tenay and Tony Schiavone welcome us. They tell us that besides the Mysterio-O'Haire match, there's another big battle tonight: Sting vs Steve Corino in a non-title match. Great American Bash is in just six days!

Match 1: Jerry Lynn, Christopher Daniels and Shannon Moore vs Billy Kidman, Vampiro and Sabu. Every guy had a moment to show off their best moves. Sabu is sending Daniels out of the ring and follows with a Triple Jump Plancha! Back in the ring, Lynn and Kidman are colliding and spilling out of the ring. Vampiro is flooring Moore with the Vampire Spike. Kidman is reentering the ring to execute the Shooting Star Press. 1...2...3. (10:29) (81)

Backstage, WCW Commissioner Dusty Rhodes is in the locker room with five teams: CM Punk and Samoa Joe, AJ Styles and American Dragon, Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli, LAX, and Rising Pain. Amid loud chatter, Rhodes manages to calm them down and announces an important decision. Given last week's contendership match ended in a draw, he declares: 1 - At the PPV, three teams will compete for the WCW World Tag Team Championship in a triple threat. The teams are Styles and Dragon, The Horsemen, and Punk and Joe. And LAX will resolve their conflict with Rising Pain once and for all in a steel cage match at the Great American Bash! Tonight, Punk and Joe are scheduled to match up against LAX.

Match 2: Matt Sydal vs Elix Skipper. Sydal goes at the top rope. Skipper pushes him outside, sending him crashing into the steel barriers. Skipper brings Matt back to the ring. Matt counters with a baseball slide. Matt rolls Skipper back into the ring and finishes him with a stunning 450 Splash. 1...2...3. (6:15) (70)

Backstage, Dusty Rhodes talks to his son Dustin Rhodes. Dusty warns him about Mitchell's sneaky tactics and expresses concern for his son in the days leading to the match. Dustin promises he'll be cautious during these six days before the match. As Dusty turns to leave, he bumps into Abyss, with a smirking Mitchell behind him. (59)

Match 3: ‘American Nightmare’ Dustin Rhodes vs Mark Jindrak (w/ Ted DiBiase). Jindrak quickly takes the lead and attacks Dustin's left shoulder. After a while Rhodes fights back with a neckbreaker out of nowhere. 1...2. Ted DiBiase tries to interfere but gets hit by Rhodes. Rhodes follows up with a powerslam on Jindrak. 1...2. Dustin Rhodes takes down Jindrak with a bulldog and seems ready to win. Suddenly, the lights go out. James Mitchell appears on the titantron and announces that they have a big guest in their 'home'. The camera shows Dusty Rhodes bound and gagged with Abyss standing over him! Dustin Rhodes runs backstage, and the referee counts him out. (5:33) (74)

After a commercial break, Dustin Rhodes rushes into the supposed room where his father was held, but no one is there.

Match 4: CM Punk and Samoa Joe vs LAX (Homicide and Hernandez). Joe and Punk immediately isolate Homicide in the corner. Joe uses knee strikes to the face. Homicide manages to escape and tags Hernandez. Hernandez knocks Punk out of the ring, making Punk visibly angry. At that moment, Joe jumps on Hernandez and chokes him. Joe and Punk regain control and Hernandez gets a hot tag at the end. He demolishes Punk with a shoulder block and then grabs him by the throat, tossing him across the ring! Homicide climbs up on the top rope and Hernandez throws him into Joe. Punk pulls Homicide down outside the ring and throws him into the steel steps. Meanwhile, Hernandez gets Joe ready for the Border Toss, but Punk jumps in with a missile dropkick. Joe immediately puts Hernandez in a chokehold, and the referee stops the match. (12:39) (79)

Post match, Joe refuses to release Hernandez. AJ Styles and American Dragon run in to help, and a brawl breaks out. Kaz Hayashi and Low Ki join in, attacking LAX. The brawl is all over the arena.

Backstage, James Mitchell and Abyss are with kidnapped Dusty Rhodes in another dark room. Mitchell: "Only pain can teach us to appreciate the moments when there is no pain." Abyss picks up a barbed wire bat.

Backstage, Lance Storm talks to Sting and offers his help tonight if the Horsemen interfere in his tonight's match against Corino. Sting declines. (60)

Match 5, Non Title Match: Sting vs Steve Corino (w/ Arn Anderson). Sting hits Corino with two Stinger Splashes. He attempts the Scorpion Deathlock, but Arn Anderson interferes and pulls Corino out of the ring. Sting goes after Anderson, and Corino hits Sting in the head with the championship belt. The referee didn't see it as he was behind Anderson. Back to the ring. 1...2...NO! Arn argues with the ref. Corino tries to use the belt again, but he misses this time. Sting hits the Scorpion Death Drop: 1... 2... Arn pulls the referee out of the ring! Sting puts Corino in the Scorpion Deathlock. Four Horsemen are here. They attack Sting. The ref comes back to life and stops the match. DQ. (11:48) (79)

Post match, Lance Storm rushes to the ring with a black baseball bat in his hands! Storm clears the ring, hitting Hero, Claudio and CW Anderson one by one with a bat. Corino and Arn are happy to escape. Lance helps Sting up, but Sting pushes him away and gives him a Scorpion Death Drop! Sting then picks up his bat and leaves the ring, leaving Storm lying there.

‘The Face of WCW’ Sean O’Haire and Bobby Heenan backstage interview. Heenan appreciates Rey Mysterio's courage in challenging his client, but it's ridiculous. O'Haire is ready to defeat all WCW superstars. But Rey? He will break Rey in half. So Rey should go back to the acrobat division and forget about this challenge before it's too late. (61)

We go backstage again - to Mitchell, Abyss, and a tied-up Dusty Rhodes. Mitchell promises that Dustin will never find them, and they plan to erase all memories of the Rhodes family. Abyss spills a bunch of thumbnails onto a table and leads Dusty towards it... Oh, it’s a commercial break.

After a break, Dustin Rhodes stands in the ring with a microphone. He has searched the entire building but still couldn’t find them. He warns Mitchell and Abyss that if anything happens to his father, it will be a big mistake for them. Then he will stop at nothing until he destroys them...

... And James Mitchell appears on the titantron. He taunts Dustin, saying he doesn't have what it takes to destroy them. Mitchell brought out the dark side in Dustin, but his work wasn’t finished…. Then Abyss chokeslams Dusty Rhodes through a table with thumbnails! Dustin runs backstage. Abyss then proceeds to hit Dusty with a barbed-wire bat! (72)

Match 6: Sean O’Haire (w/ Bobby Heenan) vs Rey Mysterio. Sean O'Haire starts the match by taunting and mocking Rey. This seems to affect Mysterio, as he misses with a starting attack. Later Rey tries to turn the match around, but he’s too hurt from the last week’s attack. O'Haire catches him and hits a backbreaker. Rey is seriously hurt now.The referee checks on him, but O'Haire pushes him away. O'Haire continues to deliver backbreaker after backbreaker! Rey tries to fight back, but O'Haire counters with a Widow Maker for the victory. (12:18) (80)

Post match, Goldberg attacks Sean O'Haire. They brawl at ringside and to backstage. In the meantime, Four Horsemen un in and attack Rey Mysterio, injuring his back even more. (78)

Backstage, Dustin Rhodes finds his bloodied father Dusty Rhodes and calls for medical help.

Shawn Michaels in-ring promo. "Two important news. First, the Heartbreak Kid is back! Second, I'm absolutely sure that in six days, I will have my first match in four years... against Chris Kanyon... and will become the World Heavyweight Champion once again.  I've had many amazing moments in my career. From being a tag team champ with Marty Jannetty, to winning the Intercontinental Championship, having great ladder matches... But now, my greatest moment will come this Sunday at the Great American Bash. I've missed being a Showstopper for you all. I promise you... I will own this ring again and forever!"...

... WCW World Heavyweight Champion Chris Kanyon interrupts! He feels sorry for HBK because he's living under the illusion that he's still the Heartbreaker and the Showstopper. Michaels hasn't been in the ring for four years. All while Kanyon has been working hard and beating the best of the best in this business. Like Booker T. Like Sting. Like Goldberg. He warns Shawn that the fans may cheer for him now, but they will forget about him quickly if he falls off the top. This Sunday, at Great American Bash, Kanyon WILL defeat Shawn and remain the WCW World Heavyweight Champion, while Shawn will go back to where he spent the last four years…

… Shawn Michaels smirks and responds, "Maybe, Chris, maybe you'll beat me. After all, you have your dirty cheap tactics… And luck, yes. But you won't take away my fans or my passion. You'll see at the Great American Bash that thousands of people will be in my corner, cheering for me. I won’t be alone. And all these people will go crazy when Sweet Chin Music knocks you out… And when I become the new WCW World Heavyweight Champion". Michaels and Kanyon face off, and Nitro ends. See you at the Great American Bash! (94)

================================================

World Championship Wrestling presents...

Season 1 Finale...

WCW Great American Bash 2002

File:WWE The Great American Bash.png - Wikimedia Commons

Final Card

WCW World Heavyweight Championship
Chris Kanyon vs "The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels

WCW United States Championship
Steve Corino (w/ Arn Anderson) vs Rey Mysterio

WCW World Tag Team Championship
AJ Styles and American Dragon vs Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli (w/ Arn Anderson) vs CM Punk and Samoa Joe

Goldberg vs "The Face of WCW" Sean O'Haire (w/ Bobby "The Brain" Heenan)

"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair vs Chavo Guerrero

Retirement Match for Sting
Sting vs Lance Storm

Buried Alive Match
"American Nightmare" Dustin Rhodes vs Abyss (w/ James Mitchell)

Steel Cage Match
LAX (Homicide and Hernandez) vs Rising Pain (Kaz Hayashi and Low Ki)

WCW Cruiserweight Championship
Jerry Lynn vs Billy Kidman

Vampiro vs "The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels

• Like 1

Chris Kanyon vs "The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels

Steve Corino (w/ Arn Anderson)
vs Rey Mysterio

AJ Styles and American Dragon vs Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli (w/ Arn Anderson) vs CM Punk and Samoa Joe

Goldberg vs "The Face of WCW" Sean O'Haire (w/ Bobby "The Brain" Heenan)

"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair vs Chavo Guerrero

Retirement Match for Sting
Sting
vs Lance Storm

Buried Alive Match
"American Nightmare" Dustin Rhodes vs Abyss (w/ James Mitchell)

Steel Cage Match
LAX (Homicide and Hernandez)
vs Rising Pain (Kaz Hayashi and Low Ki)

Jerry Lynn
vs Billy Kidman

Vampiro vs "The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels

• Like 1

File:WWE The Great American Bash.png - Wikimedia Commons

WCW Great American Bash 2002

The show kicks off with a video celebrating the first full year of WCW's life after reboot. And without further delay, the cage comes down from the top...

Match 1, Steel Cage Match: LAX (Homicide and Hernandez) vs Rising Pain (Kaz Hayashi and Low Ki). Hayashi and Low Ki sprint into the cage and pounce on their rivals right away. Their surprise attack gives them an initial advantage. Yet, Hernandez soon begins to score some points for his team. He hurls Hayashi into the cage wall - Hayashi starts bleeding. Low Ki fights back against Homicide with a flurry of tough punches. He puts Homicide on the top rope and hits him with a Pele kick! Low Ki starts to climb the cage wall, but Hernandez intercepts him and delivers a powerbomb! Hayashi leaps with a crossbody from the top rope onto Hernandez! 1...2... Homicide interrupts the count. An attempt at a Gringo Killer on Hayashi.... Low Ki intervenes to save his partner. They both knock Homicide down with a simultaneous superkick! Hayashi and Low Ki dash to opposite sides of the cage, attempting to escape. Hernandez regains his footing, unsure of whom to chase! He finally seizes Low Ki and launches a Border Toss into the opposite cage wall, knocking Hayashi out! Homicide rises and finishes Hayashi with a Gringo Killer. 1...2...3. (12:29) (70)

Christopher Daniels and Shannon Moore backstage interview. Daniels expresses his relief at finally having some microphone time. He criticizes the company for undervaluing real athletes and not giving them more TV time. Daniels, known as the Fallen Angel, sees himself as the future of this company. He marks the first anniversary of WCW's revival and declares the next year as his own - a year of his ascension to the top of WCW, in spite of the hurdles. His victory over Vampiro tonight is just the first step. All along, Moore tries to chime in but Daniels doesn’t allow him. WCW Cruiserweight Champion Jerry Lynn joins them, acknowledging that WCW is bogged down in politics and needs more focus on genuine talent. Lynn wishes Daniels good luck. Daniels and Lynn handshakes, while Moore looks on from behind Daniels and Lynn. (56)

Match 2: Vampiro vs ‘The Fallen Angel’ Christopher Daniels. The match starts off with Vampiro gaining a slight upper hand when he floors Daniels with a leg lariat. Daniels tries to fight back and executes a split-legged moonsault - Vampiro dodges and Daniels lands on his feet, only to be kicked out of the ring by Vampiro. At ringside Daniels catches Vampiro with a spinning neckbreaker, seeming to injure his opponent's neck. Daniels zeroes in on the injured neck of Vampiro. Back to the ring. Back suplex by Daniels. 1...2. Daniels hits with a running STO. 1...2. Daniels locks Vampiro in the Koji Clutch! Vampiro eventually breaks free… A blatant eye poke from Daniels! Daniels hits a neckbreaker on Vampiro's already damaged neck! Then another neckbreaker. Vampiro fights back with some powerful chops. Daniels attempts a hurricanrana, but Vampiro counters it with a powerbomb. Vampiro ascends to the top rope....Top-rope Legdrop! 1...2...NO! Vampiro hoists Daniels to his feet... and gets hit with a DDT! Daniels attempts his signature move - Best Moonsault Ever... but misses! Vampiro instantly rolls him up. 1...2. Vampiro locks Daniels in the STF! Daniels writhes in pain. He slightly loosens the hold and breaks free, but Vampiro quickly traps him in a Camel Clutch! Daniels fights back once more. Vampiro releases him and places him on the top rope. Vampiro climbs up himself.... but Daniels delivers a low blow! Angel’s Wings from the top rope! 1...2...3. (10:22) (79)

‘American Nightmare’ Dustin Rhodes backstage interview. Tony Schiavone asks about his father's well-being. Dustin replies that Dusty has been hit pretty hard. No one knows when he will be fully healthy or if he will be. And it's unknown when Dusty will be able to return to being a WCW Commissioner. It's going to take time. But what Dustin is trying to say is that Mitchell has crossed a line. The point of no return. And that was his biggest mistake. Now not even two meters of ground above Dustin can keep him from getting his revenge. Dustin is ready to use everything and everyone to bury Abyss tonight, and Mitchell at the same time. (74)

Backstage, Don Callis comes to Eric Bischoff’s office. Callis notes that the new WCW has been a delight to viewers for a whole year now. Eric responds that he's the one they should be thanking for that. Callis retorts that without the TV network’s money, Eric wouldn't have made it this far. But that's not what Callis is here for. Bravo TV wants to know what steps Bischoff is taking to find the unidentified attackers of the wrestlers and what precautions have been put in place to prevent any incidents from occurring tonight at the Great American Bash. Bischoff explains that he's personally hired additional security guards, out of his own pocket, to ensure the safety of the WCW wrestlers tonight. (55)

Match 3, WCW Cruiserweight Championship: Jerry Lynn vs Billy Kidman. The crowd was cheering for Billy Kidman a lot. Kidman took the lead early on, leaving fans wondering how Lynn intended to defend his title. However, Billy injured his arm and that gave Lynn an opening. Kidman kicks Lynn out of the ring and climbs up onto the top rope. He jumps off with a crossbody, but Lynn dodges and sends Kidman crashing shoulder-first into the steel post. Lynn then focuses on Kidman's arm and shoulder for a while. He traps Kidman in a surfboard submission hold, followed by a shoulderbreaker. 1...2. Kidman attempts to retake control, but Lynn boots him out of the ring. Lynn follows up with a running senton outside the ring! Kidman finally regains control with a vertical suplex onto the hard floor outside the ring! Both men are down and visibly exhausted. Kidman drags Lynn back into the ring and connects with a missile dropkick! 1...2...NO! Kidman begins to build momentum with a flurry of punches, a backdrop, and a clothesline. Kidman bounces off the ropes - Thesz Press! Jerry desperately tries to regain control. Lynn attempts a hurricanrana, but Kidman counters it into a sit-out powerbomb. 1...2. Kidman is setting up for the Kid Krusher.... but gets a low blow from the champion! Lynn hits a Cradle Piledriver! It's over! 1...2...NO! Kidman manages to get his foot on the ropes just in time. Jerry Lynn climbs up onto the ropes, attempting a crossbody - but Kidman catches him and rolls him up. 1...2. Kidman connects with a Tornado DDT! 1...2...NO! Billy climbs up the top rope. He attempts a Shooting Star Press, but Lynn dodges! Jerry quickly makes a pin attempt. 1...2... Kidman reverses it into a rollup. 1...2... Lynn counters with a rollup of his own and uses the ropes for leverage. 1...2...3. (11:06) (77)

Post match, Jerry Lynn grabs his title belt. The champion is visibly exhausted. Kidman, on the other hand, is clutching his arm and shoulder which appear to be injured.

Sting backstage interview. Tony Schiavone asks about Lance Storm and why Sting attacked him after helping at last week's Nitro. Sting responds that he's tired of everyone treating him like an old, feeble man. Tired of the assumption that he needs help or can't do anything on his own. Yes, Sting has been the backbone of WCW for a long time. He's carried this company. For the fans. And yes, he's ready to pave the way for the young talents. But that doesn't mean Sting is done. And tonight, he'll make sure Lance Storm understands that. If Storm wants to take the torch from him, he'll have to pry it from Sting's cold, dead hands. (70)

We're shown a dug-up grave near the ramp with a shovel sticking out of the ground. This can only mean one thing... our next match is up next....

Match 4, Buried Alive: ‘American Nightmare’ Dustin Rhodes vs Abyss (w/ James Mitchell). Abyss enters the ring first. The music hits next - and Dustin Rhodes runs into the ring with a steel chain in his hands! Rhodes immediately pounces on the monster and showering him with chain blows. Yes so much so that Abyss falls out of the ring. Rhodes follows up. Mitchell attacks him! Dustin doesn't feel a thing. He just wraps the chain around his arm better and goes after Mitchell to the delight of the fans! Actually, that was a mistake. Because Abyss meets him with a chair shot around one of the corners. Abyss throws the chair into the ring and rolls Rhodes into it. Abyss wraps the chain around the arm himself. He punches... misses... and hits the steel post! Rhodes immediately capitalizes on the opportunity - and tries to literally destroy the monster's arm by slamming it into the post a couple of times. Bulldog on the chair! Rhodes checks on Abyss... Abyss grabs him by the throat! Dustin breaks free, but eats a big boot. Mitchell, meanwhile, throws chairs into the ring. Abyss lays Rhodes out with a bodyslam onto some scattered chairs. Abyss climbs to the second rope.... Legdrop! Missed! Abyss holds on to his ass and Rhodes hits him in the head with a chair. Abyss leaves the ring. Dustin goes after him but gets distracted by Mitchell. Abyss takes advantage of this and pushes his opponent into a steel rack. Dustin starts to bleed out. Abyss appears to be as well. Mitchell lightly taunts Rhodes and then whispers something to Abyss. Abyss nods happily and pulls out from under the ring..... a bag with thumbnails! He throws them out on the ring and prepares for a Chokeslam... Rhodes does a low blow. Uranage Chokeslam by Rhodes on thumbnails! Abyss is in a lot of pain. James Mitchell tries to save the situation, but that's when Rhodes grabs him and leads him to the thumbnails! The fans are happy. Abyss saves his manager by hitting Rhodes with a barbed-wire bat! Again! And again! Dustin's face looks like a bloody mess. Mitchell orders his monster to end the match. Abyss obeys and leads Dustin to the ramp. Near the grave, Abyss grabs him by the throat. Dustin fights back... By the throat again. A low blow by Dustin Rhodes! DDT on the steel ramp! Both are down. Mitchell drags a table up the ramp! The table is set up on the ramp... But what Mitchell can't see is that Dustin Rhodes is already behind him! "The American Nightmare" grabs the manager by the throat and is about to take him to the grave! Abyss saves his "dad". Bodyslam on the steel ramp. Abyss drags Rhodes to the grave. Dustin kicks him and tries to crawl away. Abyss follows with a sadistic smirk. Rhodes climbs up - to the titantron. Abyss goes after him. The two wrestlers fight at the top, about two feet above the ramp level Dustin suddenly jumps off, ducks under Abyss' legs and lays him out with a powerbomb through a table! Rhodes "rolls" Abyss over to the grave. And pushes him underneath the ground with his feet! Dustin Rhodes grabs a shovel - and to Mitchell's wails - buries the monster! The ring bell sounds. (12:03) (81)

James Mitchell is hysterical over the grave. "My son! My boy!". Dustin Rhodes, on the other hand, is exhausted and almost unconscious.

Match 5: Sting vs Lance Storm. Before the match, Lance Storm offers a handshake.. And Sting, after giving it some thought, accepts. The match started off as a fair competition between two good guys. But it soon became apparent that each of them had something to prove. And each is ready to win. No matter what. Sting has an advantage. And now he's ready for the Scorpion Deathdrop, but Lance Storm unexpectedly lands an eye poke! Nobody expected that. German suplex by Storm! Springboard dropkick knocks Sting down. Belly-to-belly suplex attempt from Lance, but Sting fights back with an elbow and pushes off the ropes - both wrestlers knock each other off the clothesline. By this point, both are pretty tired. Sting has a burst of energy. He hits a powerful spinebuster. Followed immediately by a Stinger Splash! And another Stinger Splash! Bulldog! Sting is climbing the top rope! It's like he's trying to prove something to someone... It takes a while, though, and Lance manages to get up. Superplex by Storm! 1...2. Storm applies a half-Boston crab. Sting screams in pain... and reverses the hold into a Scorpion Deathlock! Now it's time for Lance to be in pain. But he refuses to tap out either. And grabs the ropes! Sting immideately picks Storm up and performs a Scorpion Death Drop. 1...2...NO! Sting goes at the top rope again... Top-Rope Splash... Storm puts his knees up! Lance tries to pin Sting. 1...2...NO! Storm grabs Sting in the half-Boston crab again. Sting pushes Lance away with his free leg - and right into the referee! Scorpion Death Drop by Sting. Pin... the referee is down! Sting goes to help him, but at that moment, Lance rolls Sting up into a pin. The ref counts. 1...2...3. (13:24) (71)

Match 6: Ric Flair vs Chavo Guerrero. Ric Flair strutted into this match like he owned the place. He's a legend and a multi-time champion after all. But Chavo Guerrero was quick to remind him that this wasn't going to be a walk in the park. He flipped Flair around a few times before bellowing out his own WHOOOOOOO, mocking Flair's signature call. Chavo even copied Flair's fancy walk across the ring, which really riled Ric up. Flair charged at Guerrero, only to be met with a dropkick. Flair rolled out of the ring to rethink his strategy. Ric came back with his famous chop, pinning Chavo in a corner and delivering a series of chops. Now it was Chavo's turn to step out of the ring. Once back, the wrestlers grappled evenly for a few minutes before Chavo took the upper hand. Flair slowed him down with an eye poke and more chops that sent Chavo to the mat. Flair tried his Figure-Four Leglock move, but it was too soon. Chavo reversed it into a pin. 1...2. Chavo executed three consecutive rolling vertical suplexes and climbed up the top rope. Frog Splash coming, but no! It's missed. Flair tackles Chavo with a chop block as soon as he's up. Figure-Four Leglock! Chavo is too close to the ropes and grabs them. Tornado DDT by Chavo! 1...2. Figure-Four Leglock by Chavo! Ric is on the verge of tapping out, but manages to reverse the move on Chavo. Chavo has to release him. Gory Buster by Chavo! 1...2...NO! Flair is visibly exhausted but refuses to give in. Chavo, on the other hand, seems to be losing his cool. He's arguing with the ref and is clearly upset! Amidst the confusion, Flair rolls him into a pin. 1...2...NO! Chavo quickly retaliates with an eye poke. Vertical suplex! And the Frog Splash! 1...2...3. Great match. (16:40) (86)

Match 7, WCW World Tag Team Championship: AJ Styles and American Dragon vs Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli vs CM Punk and Samoa Joe. Almost as soon as the match starts, both the champions and the Horsemen are on Punk and Joe. The commentators highlight that these might be two of the most disliked men in all of WCW. The referee restores some order to the match. Dragon and Joe have a technical showdown, with Dragon getting an advantage. He locks Joe in a chokehold.  Joe quickly counters with a full nelson bomb! Styles jumps into the ring and charges at Joe, who ducks, causing AJ to tumble out of the ring. The ring fills with all the wrestlers and eventually, Hero ends up in the ring with Punk and Joe. Joe headbutts Hero while Punk delivers a Shining Wizard. 1...2...NO! Dragon breaks the pin. AJ Styles executes a springboard dropkick, knocking down both Punk and Joe! Chris Hero immediately goes after Styles... he attempts a Hero's Welcome... but Styles fights back. American Dragon takes down Hero, and Styles follows with a frog splash from the top rope! 1...2. Claudio Castagnoli big boots Dragon out of the ring. He executes a Neutralizer on Styles! It looks like the end... 1...2... Dragon pulls the ref out of the ring in a desperate attempt to save the match. Claudio gets distracted by this... That's when Punk smacks him in the head with the championship belt, knocking him out of the ring. Joe then grabs the unconscious Styles and finishes him off with a Muscle Buster… 1...2...3. We have the NEW WCW World Tag Team Champions (14:34) (83)

Rey Mysterio backstage interview. Tony Schiavone points out that Mysterio's back is injured. He asks if Rey can still wrestle tonight. Mysterio admits that the doctors are worried about him. They've strongly advised against the match tonight. With his kind of injury, he needs at least a month's rest. Any hit to his back or any tumble could cause him to stop wrestling for a long time, or even for good. But Mysterio is here. He's been waiting a long time for this opportunity. He's been wanting to step up to the big leagues. Whether his back hurts or not, Rey is planning to wrestle tonight and win the WCW United States Championship. (71)

Match 8: Goldberg vs ‘The Face of WCW’ Sean O’Haire (w/ Bobby Heenan). Goldberg immediately uses a powerful shoulder block to knock down Sean O'Haire. Then he does a powerslam. Sean O'Haire, surprised by this, leaves the ring. O'Haire tries the new plan. But Goldberg is on fire! O'Haire takes control with a jawbreaker and then a belly-to-belly suplex. 1...2. The rest of the match is pretty even. Bobby Heenan keeps interfering which helps Sean stay ahead. At one point, O'Haire manages to really hurt Goldberg's back. From then on, all of his moves are aimed at Goldberg's weak spot. O'Haire uses the Camel Clutch hold multiple times. But Goldberg fights back. Bobby Heenan hands Sean a chair. Goldberg kicks the chair, which hits Sean! Heenan jumps onto the apron but eats a punch by Goldberg. Goldberg turns around - there's a Widow Maker attempt, but he turns it into a Spear. He finishes with a Jackhammer. 1...2...3. (10:36) (85)

Match 9, WCW United States Championship: Steve Corino (w/ Arn Anderson) vs Rey Mysterio. The match starts with a lot of quick moves. Then, Corino uses his strength. Steve was too confident. Rey takes advantage and rolls him up. 1...2. Steve Corino throws Rey out of the ring and whips into the steel steps, hurting Rey's back even more. Back to the ring. Every move Steve makes is aimed at Rey's back. Arn Anderson is very pleased. Steve Corino throws Rey into the ropes and uses a spinebuster, dedicating this move to Arn. 1...2. Corino uses a Fisherman suplex. 1...2. Arn is getting mad and complains to the ref that he's counting too slow. Corino puts Mysterio in a tree of woe in the corner of the ring and charges, but Rey jumps off and Corino hits his shoulder on the post. Steve is in a lot of pain and has to leave the ring. And Rey climbs the top rope and jumps on Corino! Both wrestlers get back in the ring. Rey knocks Corino down with a dropkick. West Coast Pop! 1...2...NO! Rey tries to pick Corino up, Corino pushes him away... Old School Superkick! 1...2...NO! Backbreaker by Corino, hurting Rey's back even more. 1...2...NO! Both are on their feet. Rey hits an Enziguri! Corino falls to the second rope. Rey hits a 6-1-9! Rey tries a springboard from the apron, but Arn grabs his leg and Rey falls. Steve gets Rey into a Boston crab hold! Rey struggles to the ropes and just touches them but can't grab. Corino pulls Rey back to the middle of the ring. Mysterio tries again... and reaches the ropes! Corino tries the Old School Expulsion... but Rey avoids it and counters with a hurricanrana... and gets Corino into a pin. 1...2... Arn Anderson tries to help... 3! But Arn's too late! We have the NEW WCW United States Champion! (16:11) (83)

Match 10, WCW World Heavyweight Championship: Chris Kanyon vs Shawn Michaels. Before the match, Shawn Michaels and Chris Kanyon stand face to face. You can feel the tension through the TV screen. Finally, they start wrestling... and Shawn Michaels quickly gets Kanyon down. Chris looks surprised. He finally manages to knock Michaels down with a dropkick and then gives him a few kicks to the back. Michaels tries a German suplex, but suddenly his back hurts... Kanyon pushes him back into a corner of the ring. Kanyon uses an abdominal stretch hold. WCW World Heavyweight Champion is in control for a while. But then Michaels takes over and gets Kanyon into a small package. 1...2. Michaels knocks Kanyon down with a flying forearm! He uses an inverted atomic drop. And then a backdrop - Michaels' back is okay! Chris Kanyon escapes the ring. Michaels follows him. Kanyon turns around... and gets hit with Sweet Chin Music at ringside! Michaels rolls Kanyon back into the ring. 1...2...NO! Michaels goes for a second Sweet Chin Music… Kanyon hides behind the ref! The referee goes down. Kanyon kicks Michaels with a low blow! Chris grabs the championship belt. He is ready to hit Michaels... But it was stopped by Don Callis! Kanyon and Callis argue. Michaels rolls Kanyon up... The referee is still down. HBK tries to bring him back to life. Kanyon attacks HBK and hits a Flatliner! 1...2...NO! Chris is frustrated. He picks HBK up for a second Flatliner... But Michaels blocks it... and hits SWEET CHIN MUSIC! Pin. It's over... 1....... 2...... Don Callis puts Kanyon's foot on the ropes... Wait, what?! Michaels looks at him. And Callis is smiling! But the smile quickly goes away, because Michaels grabs him and pulls him into the ring! Michaels punches Callis and knocks him out. Suddenly, the Four Horsemen run into the ring! Why are they here? Some of them distract the referee. And then, Steve Corino hits Michaels on the head with the championship belt. Kanyon uses the Flatliner again. 1........ 2........ 3! (16:42) (78)

Shawn Michaels lies in the ring, covered in blood. He's unconscious. The Four Horsemen give Kanyon the WCW World Heavyweight Championship belt. Mike Tenay shouts that now it's clear who was behind all the attacks. It was all part of Don Callis' plan. Now, Callis, Kanyon, and the Horsemen will control WCW. Shawn needs medical help. Chris Kanyon celebrates his win. The crowd is booing loudly. We have an angry Eric Bischoff marching to the ring... The broadcast is suddenly cut off.

Overall: 79

Edited by Dimos
  • Like 1

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #57

The show starts by showing a pictures from the Great American Bash.

Don Callis in-ring promo. He is bragging about how he was able to take over WCW and create the most powerful alliance in history. Callis intends to send all the old man promoters like Bischoff, Heyman and McMahon into retirement and do wrestling the modern way. Millennial-style wrestling = ratings. (58)

Callis invites the WCW World Heavyweight Champion Chris Kanyon to the ring. Kanyon brags about his win last night. As well as all of his wins in recent months - over Goldberg, Booker T, Ken Shamrock, Sting, etc. Kanyon says thanks to Callis and some other guys.... (79)

... Speaking of the other guys... Enter the Four Horsemen: Steve Corino, Chris Hero, Claudio Castagnoli, and CW Anderson with Arn Anderson. Corino sings a diatribe to Callis, who they've known since ECW. Don Callis announces that Eric Bischoff is unlikely to make it to the show tonight, which means they'll be running things. And Don's first decision: Steve Corino will get a rematch tonight against Rey Mysterio for the WCW United States Championship!... (69)

… WCW Commissioner Dusty Rhodes interrupts. Rhodes notes that Bischoff may not be here tonight, but while Dusty is here. So he’ll be setting up matches. It gets to a confrontation, during which Rhodes nearly gets beaten up. Dusty accepts the Mysterio-Corino match tonight, but adds two stipulations. First, it will be a steel cage match, and second, no Horsemen can be anywhere near the cage within 10 meters. (77)

Backstage, WCW Cruiserweight Champion Jerry Lynn and 'The Fallen Angel' Christopher Daniels brag about their wins from last night and decide to challenge Vampiro and Kidman to a tag team match. Shannon Moore is unhappy to be left out. (58)

Match 1: Jerry Lynn and ‘The Fallen Angel’ Christopher Daniels (w/ Shannon Moore) vs Vampiro and Billy Kidman. Billy Kidman is on the top rope, ready to finish Jerry Lynn. Daniels is too far away to interfere, but Shannon Moore is right next to him. Daniels yells at him to help. Moore finally gets his wits about him and runs to the counter, but he doesn't make it in time.... SHOOTING STAR PRESS! 1...2...3. (9:10) (82)

Backstage, Dustin Rhodes finds his dad, Dusty, upset and in distress after a confrontation with the Horsemen. He's not happy.

Match 2: ‘American Nightmare’ Dustin Rhodes vs Elix Skipper. Rhodes catches Skipper with a Spinebuster and then finishes him off with a Blackout. (5:24) (78)

‘The Face of WCW’ Sean O’Haire and Bobby Heenan backstage interview. Heenan is not happy with his client after his loss last night. He needs him to get back on track. And he will do just that tonight.

Match 3: LAX (Homicide and Hernandez) vs Jamie Noble and Matt Sydal. Pre-match, LAX did the promo about going after the WCW World Tag Team Championship. The match itself ends with a Border Toss from Hernandez for Sydal, and Noble gets destroyed by Homicide and his Gringo Killer. (9:21) (76)

The new WCW World Tag Team Champions, CM Punk and Samoa Joe, backstage interview. As always, only Punk speaks. CM Punk praises his straight-edge lifestyle and promises total domination in a WCW tag team division full of drunks and drug addicts. (71)

Match 4: AJ Styles and American Dragon vs Sonjay Dutt and Yang. Styles and Dragon left no chance for their opponents. The match ends with Styles Clash for Dutt and a pinfall to three. (6:50) (77)

Post match, AJ Styles grabs the mic and challenges CM Punk and Samoa Joe to the rematch.

James Mitchell holds an entire memorial service for Abyss, who was buried alive last night. He promises to take brutal revenge on Rhodes who took his son from him. (55)

Match 5: Lance Storm vs Chris Hero (w/ Claudio Castagnoli). Storm locks Hero in a Half-Boston Crab. Claudio immediately jumps on the apron and tries to interfere, but is superkicked by Lance. Hero grabs Storm for suplex, but Lance Storm reverses it into a roll up to three. (6:25) (79)

Post match, Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli attack Lance Storm. But Storm is saved by Sting with a baseball bat. After everything, Sting leaves without explaining anything. (69)

Match 6, Steel Cage Match, WCW United States Championship: Rey Mysterio vs Steve Corino. Steve Corino seemed more experienced in this type of match. It was a brutal match. And the great one (look at the rating!). But Rey Mysterio proved himself one more time, winning it with West Coast Pop. (15:28) (94)

Post match, the cage is raised and the Horsemen pour into the ring. Dustin Rhodes comes to help! Dustin and Rey are still outnumbered... until Shawn Michaels rushes to the ring! A big brawl starts all over the arena. HBK and Dustin drive Horsemen away to exit. Rey Mysterio is alone in the ring with his championship belt... Sean O'Haire attacks him from behind! O'Haire destroys Rey with a massive big boot, followed by two consecutive Widow Makers. Sean looks at the WCW US title belt. An angry Eric Bischoff is marching toward the ring... and that's the end of the show. (78)

Overall: 79

• Like 1

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #58

Tonight - Rey Mysterio will defend the WCW United States Championship against Claudio Castagnoli! (61)

WCW President Eric Bischoff opens the show and cuts a promo where he promises to defend WCW against Callis and company. Eric is still running things here. And he's been through more than one of these ‘TV network representatives’ in his career. So it’s not his first rodeo. These guys almost destroyed WCW before, and Eric won’t allow to do it again…. 

… Bischoff is interrupted by... Goldberg! He doesn't care about the whole showdown, but he beated O'Haire, and now he demands a title rematch with Kanyon… (88)

… Shawn Michaels disagrees. HBK reminds him that he lost unfairly and wants a title rematch too. Eric proposes an HBK-Goldberg match for the #1 contendership tonight to the delight of the audience.. (78)

… But Don Callis, Chris Kanyon and the Four Horsemen ruin it. Callis scoffs at Goldberg and Michaels, stating the Bravo TV will choose #1 contender. Their decision is… Steve Corino! Corino is shocked. The crowd is booing this idea. Bischoff counters with a proposition: a tag team match tonight. Goldberg and HBK against Chris Kanyon and Steve Corino. If Bischoff's team wins, Eric chooses the #1 contender for Bash at the Beach. If Callis's team wins, he gets the pick. (84)

Match 1: Rising Pain (Kaz Hayashi and Low Ki) vs Elix Skipper and Petey Williams. An energized cruiserweight bout. Hayashi and Low Ki dominated, with the match ending when Low Ki dodged Petey's Canadian Destroyer and pushed Petey right into the Hayashi Cutter. (7:19) (73)

Sting backstage interview. He explains why he saved Lance Storm from Four Horsemen last week. Sting shows respect to Lance for winning at the PPV. Promises him a great future. And Sting's actions are a sign of respect. Sting doesn't get to finish the interview, though, because he is attacked and beaten by Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli! (59)

Match 2: CW Anderson (w/ Arn Anderson) vs Brian Kendrick. Kendrick came into the match as one half of the WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Champions, but he had a tough time against the powerful Anderson. Cal caught him with a single-arm DDT. Spinebuster and three counts followed. (6:04) (78)

After a commercial break, CW Anderson meets WCW Commissioner Dusty Rhodes backstage. CW taunts and threatens Dusty, who again is in severe stress. Arn Anderson is looking uncomfortable about the situation. Dustin Rhodes intervenes, attacking CW Anderson and saving his dad until officials separate them.

Sean O’Haire and Bobby Heenan backstage interview. O'Haire says Rey Mysterio is a disgrace to the WCW United States Championship. It's a disgrace when cruiserweights hold that title and guys like O'Haire don't get their chance. Sean will destroy Rey. (68)

Pre-taped vignette with James Mitchell, promising to send Dustin Rhodes to hell. (52)

Match 3, WCW United States Championship: Rey Mysterio vs Claudio Castagnoli (w/ Chris Hero). Mysterio attempts a 6-1-9 but is thwarted by Hero. The referee catches this and sends Hero away from the arena. Claudio uses this distraction and delivers a spinebuster, but Mysterio rebounds with a Tornado DDT, followed by a 6-1-9 and West Coast Pop for the win. (9:43) (73)

Post match, Chris Hero storms back to attack Mysterio but is driven off by Lance Storm. Rey Mysterio is in the ring alone again… and again is attacked by Sean O’Haire, who executes Widow Maker.

Backstage, Jerry Lynn confronts Shannon Moore about failing to help him last week. Lynn, defending his WCW Cruiserweight Championship tonight, counts on Moore to have his back. (42)

Backstage, LAX demand a shot for the WCW World Tag Team Championship from Bischoff. Eric informs them that Styles and Dragon already have a title match at the PPV. Undeterred, L.A.X. challenges them instead. (59)

Match 4, WCW Cruiserweight Championship: Jerry Lynn (w/ Shannon Moore) vs Rocky Romero. Romero was close to victory. Lynn tosses Moore the championship belt and orders him to use it. Lynn himself distracts the ref. Moore refuses. Then Christopher Daniels runs to the ring, takes the belt away, and hits Romero in the head himself! Daniels yells at Moore, and Lynn hits Ricky with a Cradle Piledriver. (6:56) (75)

Post match, Lynn and Daniels are unhappy with Moore. Shannon just goes backstage without any word.

Match 5: AJ Styles and American Dragon vs LAX (Homicide and Hernandez). WCW World Tag Team Champions CM Punk and Samoa Joe approach the ring during the match. Homicide is distracted, allowing Styles to finish the match with a Styles Clash. (12:53) (78)

Post match, CM Punk and Samoa Joe attack Styles and Dragon with belt shots. (66)

Match 6: Goldberg and Shawn Michaels vs Chris Kanyon and Steve Corino (w/ Don Callis). There was some serious miscommunication between Goldberg and HBK, which the opponents took advantage of. Plus Callis was actively interfering in the match. It even almost came down to a brawl between Michaels and Goldberg. Nevertheless, they pulled it together. A hot tag puts Goldberg in the ring, and he demolishes Kanyon with a Spear. Pin attempt... Callis pulls the referee out of the ring. Don throws the title belt to the ring. Goldberg grabs Callis to the delight of the fans! Kanyon hits Goldberg with the belt! 1...2... Shawn Michaels breaks the pin. Bodyslam and Flying Elbow by HBK! 1...2... Corino breaks the pin this time. Callis again on the apron... but eats Sweet Chin Music from HBK! Goldberg destroys Corino with a Spear! 1...2...3. (13:49) (92)

Post match, Goldberg and Shawn Michaels stares down each other... They have a lot of heat between them. But that's a story for another show. Tonight, they are the winners.

Overall: 87

• Like 2

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #59

Match 1, WCW Cruiserweight Championship: Jerry Lynn vs Low Ki. Lynn dodges a Low Ki kick, catches him with a Cradle Piledriver and picks up the win. (8:24) (67)

Post match, Shannon Moore attacks Jerry Lynn! He hits a Rocker Dropper and leaves. (56)

WCW President Eric Bischoff is in the ring, ready to announce #1 contender for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. Shawn Michaels interrupts, making a case for himself as the top contender. But Goldberg enters, stating his case and expressing his readiness to take on Michaels even tonight to prove it. Tensions flare between Michaels and Goldberg. Eric contemplates setting this match, but is cut off by Don Callis, Chris Kanyon, and Steve Corino. Callis argues that Steve Corino should be the rightful challenger. Bischoff comes up with an idea, announcing a triple threat match for the #1 contendership: Goldberg vs. HBK vs. Steve Corino. Corino seems less than thrilled. (91)

Match 2: Dustin Rhodes vs Ken Anderson. Ken Anderson puts up a fight and gets in a few good moves. But, using his experience, Dustin lands a snap suplex followed by a BlackOut, securing the victory. (6:28) (72)

Post-match, Dustin grabs a mic, declaring he'll stand up for his father and challenges CW Anderson to a match at Bash at the Beach. (76)

Announcement: Shannon Moore  has been granted a match against Jerry Lynn for the WCW Cruiserweight Championship at Bash at the Beach. (53)

Match 3: AJ Styles (w/ American Dragon) vs Samoa Joe (w/ CM Punk). Punk constantly taunts both Dragon and Styles. While Joe devastates AJ with solid strikes, the commentators marvel at Joe's fighting style. As Joe sets up for the Muscle Buster, AJ counters with an enziguri. CM Punk tries to interfere but is taken out by Dragon. As Styles sets up Samoa Joe for a Styles Clash, he's accidentally hit by the brawling Dragon and Punk. Joe capitalizes and locks Styles in a Koji Clutch, causing the ref to stop the match. (13:58) (78)

Post match, a brawl continues. LAX rush to the arena, delivering chair shots to all of them! (48)

Backstage, CW Anderson brutally attacks Dustin Rhodes with a chair and beats him down, until officials pull him away. (65). 

Another video from James Mitchell. He's happy about Dustin getting beaten down, but it's nothing compared to what James has in store for him. (51)

Match 4: Sean O’Haire (w/ Bobby Heenan) vs Alex Wright. Heenan's usual interference wasn't needed. O'Haire dominates, finishing the match with the Widow Maker. (5:28) (76)

Post match, WCW US Champion Rey Mysterio surprises O'Haire with a West Coast Pop. O'Haire retreats. (76)

Backstage, WCW Commissioner Dusty Rhodes encounters a cocky LAX. The duo demands a title match again. Rhodes denies them but informs them of a scheduled Tag Team Turmoil at Bash at the Beach, with the winners getting the next #1 contendership spot.

Match 5: Lance Storm vs Claudio Castagnoli (w/ Chris Hero). Hero interferes, grabbing Lance's leg. Castagnoli capitalizes with a big boot, finishing Storm with a Neutralizer. (10:11) (82)

Post match, the assault on Storm continues until Sting intervenes. Sting grabs a mic, offering his help to Storm. Sting is ready to continue his career for a while to help him. Storm and Sting then challenge Hero and Castagnoli to a match at Bash at the Beach. (62)

Match 6, #1 Contendership for WCW World Heavyweight Championship: Goldberg vs Shawn Michaels vs Steve Corino (w/ Don Callis). Awesome match. Initially, Goldberg and Michaels seem to team up against Corino, but the mutual tension between them soon takes center stage. Michaels floors Goldberg with a Flying Elbow, but Corino breaks the pin. Michaels is ready to hit Corio with Sweet Chin Music, but Callis distracts him. Corino hits Michaels with an Old School Expulsion. 1…2. Goldberg breaks the pin.  Callis hands Corino a pair of brass knuckles, which he uses on Goldberg. But as he turns, Michaels delivers Sweet Chin Music. 1...2...3. (15:21) (99)

Post match, Goldberg needs help as his face is covered in blood. HBK has no time to celebrate as he is attacked by WCW World Heavyweight Champion Chris Kanyon! Kanyon and Michaels fight all over the arena - and that's the end of the show. (80)

Overall: 91

• Like 1

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #60

Match 1: Shannon Moore vs Yang. Moore gets an inverted DDT. But dodges Yang's Moonsault, and seals the match with a Rocker Dropper. (9:34) (71)

Post match, Jerry Lynn assaults Moore, striking him with a WCW Cruiserweight Championship belt. Christopher Daniels rushes in to help Moore but refrains from attacking Lynn, maintaining a neutral position. (58)

CW Anderson (w/ Arn Anderson) backstage interview. He mocks the Rhodes family, agrees to Dustin's challenge for the Bash at the Beach, and proposes a tag match tonight: the Andersons vs. the Rhodes. Arn is hesitant. (65)

The announcers note that Goldberg received 12 stitches following a vicious assault by Steve Corino last week.

Shawn Michaels in-ring promo. He talks about his upcoming victory at Bash at the Beach. HBK now knows what Kanyon is capable of and who will be in his corner, which means he's prepared… Steve Corino responds to this. Corino believes that the HBK should be sidelined a long time ago. Steve came to WCW when they were at rock bottom. Humped every day. Worked his ass off. Winning. But HBK comes in and immediately gets better matches, better PR, better TV time. It’s unfair. Steve Corino challenges Michaels to the match tonight - and HBK accepts. (93)

Match 2: Sean O’Haire (w/ Bobby Heenan) vs Glen Gilberti. O'Haire avoids a flapjack, demolishes Gilberti with a powerful lariat and gets the Widow Maker for the win. (5:17) (77)

Post match, Sean O’Haire grabs the mic. He taunts Rey Mysterio again as a disgrace to the WCW United States Championship. He calls him out. Rey Mysterio comes out, grabs a chair on the way and attacks O'Haire. Mysterio starts to take the lead, but Heenan interferes. It ends with a devastating chair shot from O'Haire, echoing throughout the arena. (74)

Match 3: ‘American Nightmare’ Dustin Rhodes and ‘American Dream’ Dusty Rhodes vs CW Anderson and Arn Anderson. The veterans were barely in the match. Dustin and Cal, on the other hand, put up a fierce brawl. At the end, all four show up to the ring. Dustin gets rid of Arn. CW hits Dustin with a low blow and throws him out of the ring. Dusty gets the Spinebuster. (8:13) (77)

Post match, Dusty Rhodes needs medical help, and CW Anderson is visibly pleased with his actions.

Match 4: Sting vs Chris Hero. Hero showcases superior athleticism, while Sting's age is evident. Yet, Sting lands two Stinger Splashes, an atomic drop, and a clothesline. Preparing the Scorpion Deathlock, Sting's focus shifts to the approaching Claudio Castagnoli, leading to Hero capitalizing a distraction with the Hero's Welcome. (10:09) (79)

Post match, Lance Storm saves Sting from the beatdown. 

Match 5: American Dragon (w/ AJ Styles) vs CM Punk (w/ Samoa Joe). The referee decides not to repeat the mistakes of last week and promptly bans their ringside companions from the arena. Dragon and Punk exhibit exceptional wrestling. Dragon dodges a Punk maneuver and locks him in the Single Leg Crab. LAX storms the ring, assaulting Dragon, leading to a DQ. (13:47) (81)

Post match, Dragon gets Gringo Killer from Homicide. CM Punk gets up, but is met with Hernandez's Border Toss. Samoa Joe and AJ Styles rushes back to the ring to save, but LAX exits.

Match 6: Shawn Michaels vs Steve Corino. Steve Corino chose not to enlist the help of his friends. And we've got a fair match. HBK broke out of an Old School Expulsion attempt and rolled Steve up into a pin. 1...2. Corino breaks free and hits an Old School Superkick! 1...2...NO! Corino climbs up the top rope... HBK attacks him. Backdrop! Michaels prepares for Sweet Chin Music... Chris Kanyon rushes in, only to eat Sweet Chin Music! Steve Corino uses the distraction, but HBK quickly rolls him up. 1...2...3. (16:02) (86)

Post match, HBK is immediately attacked by Chris Kanyon and Steve Corino. The beatdown persists until Goldberg bursts in! Corino receives a Spear, while Kanyon escapes. (76)

Overall: 85

Edited by Dimos
  • Like 1

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #61

Tonight: Chris Kanyon, Steve Corino and CW Anderson vs Shawn Michaels, Goldberg and Dustin Rhodes.

Match 1: Brian Kendrick and Paul London vs Fit Finlay and Ken Anderson vs Rising Pain (Kaz Hayashi and Low Ki) vs Sonjay Dutt and Yang. It's kinda sneak peek of the Tag Team Turmoil set for Bash at the Beach. Everyone lands their finishers. However, it's Paul London who stands out, taking down Sonjay Dutt with the Shooting Star Press for the victory. It seems the WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team champs are in line for a major title shot. (14:11) (68)

Goldberg in-ring promo. He delivers a short, sharp promo about Steve Corino's massive mistake, using brass knuckles on him 2 weeks ago. He announces a match against Corino at Bash at the Beach in just 6 days, warning Corino to get ready. (91)

Backstage, Shannon Moore asks Christopher Daniels whose side he's on between him and Jerry Lynn. Daniels promises to be in Moore's corner tonight. (58)

Match 2: Shannon Moore (w/ Christopher Daniels) vs Frankie Kazarian (w/ Torrie Wilson). Kazarian sets up for the Wave of the Future, but Moore blocks and lands a Rocker Dropper for the win. (11:29) (74)

Post match, WCW Cruiserweight Champion Jerry Lynn approaches the ring, but Daniels intercepts him, trying to defuse the situation. Moore, however, is caught off guard and falls victim to Kazarian's Wave of the Future.

Backstage, Sting and Lance Storm prepare for their match tonight. They have a chance to work on their teamwork before the match at Bash at the Beach.

Match 3: Sean O’Haire (w/ Bobby Heenan) vs Billy Kidman. For O'Haire, the objective is clear: take out Rey Mysterio's ally before their match at PPV. Bobby Heenan prevents Kidman from performing the Shooting Star Press. O'Haire knocks Kidman down from the top rope with a powerful kick to the head and conducts a Widow Maker. (9:37) (80)

Post match, Sean O’Haire continues beatdown. Heenan passes him a chair, and Sean is set to deal more damage. Rey Mysterio runs in to save!. He kicks O’Haire out of the ring and sets Heenan up for the 6-1-9! O'Haire rescues his manager and lays out the champion with a Widow Maker. (79)

AJ Styles and American Dragon come out to the ring and call out LAX here. Yes, they have a PPV match for the titles, but that doesn't matter right now. LAX have crossed the line and should get their asses kicked. WCW World Tag Team Champions CM Punk and Samoa Joe are here instead. They want to get LAX themselves! LAX appear on the titantron. They mock all the contestants. And with their jokes they provoke them - so much so that Punk and Joe attack Styles and Dragon! A big brawl begins - and at that moment LAX runs out to the ring and attacks everyone! Styles manages to get the most damage before the brawlers finally unite. Homicide and Hernandez escape through the audience. (65)

Match 4: Sting and Lance Storm vs Colt Cabana and Julio Dinero. Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli come out to watch the match. They tried to distract their foes, but were unsuccessful. Sting wraps up the match by making Dinero tap to the Scorpion Deathlock. (4:43) (69)

Post match, Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli attack Sting and Lance Storm. (71)

CW Anderson in backstage interview cuts promo on the entire Rhodes family. He promises to destroy their legacy at Bash at the Beach. (69)

Don Callis in-ring promo. He hypes the clash between Chris Kanyon and Shawn Michaels at Bash at the Beach. Of course, he promises that Chris Kanyon will retain his WCW World Heavyweight Championship. Eric Bischoff interrupts. He forbids any of the Four Horsemen from being near the ring in the PPV main event. Callis remarks that he can't ban him from being near the ring as Chris Kanyon's manager. Eric agrees. And remarks that Eric will personally keep an eye on Callis. And if Don does anything, Eric will be there to kick Callis' ass. (57)

Match 5: Goldberg, Shawn Michaels and ‘American Nightmare’ Dustin Rhodes vs Chris Kanyon, Steve Corino and CW Anderson (w/ Don Callis). Kanyon tries to bring the championship belt to the ring, but is stopped by HBK with Sweet Chin Music. 1...2. Don Callis interferes to break the pin. Dustin Rhodes attacks him and throws him into Michaels' arms! HBK is ready to get his revenge. CW Anderson saves the manager. Corino, Kanyon and Callis leave the ring, leaving Anderson there, who gets a BlackOut from Rhodes, Sweet Chin Music by HBK and a Jackhammer by Goldberg. 1...2...3. (14:42) (81)

Post match, the winners celebrate. See you at Bash at the Beach!

WCW Bash at The Beach 2002

WCW Bash at the Beach 1996 Logo by Wrestling-Networld on DeviantArt

Final Card

Four Horsemen banned from the ringside
Chris Kanyon (w/ Don Callis) vs "The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels

Rey Mysterio vs Sean O'Haire (w/ Bobby "The Brain" Heenan)

Goldberg vs Steve Corino

CM Punk and Samoa Joe vs AJ Styles and American Dragon

Sting and Lance Storm vs Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli

"American Nightmare" Dustin Rhodes vs CW Anderson (w/ Arn Anderson)

Jerry Lynn vs Shannon Moore

#1 Contendership for WCW World Tag Team Championship
Tag Team Turmoil
Vampiro and Sabu, LAX (Homicide and Hernandez), Rising Pain (Kaz Hayashi and Low Ki), Brian Kendrick and Paul London, Sonjay Dutt and Yang, Elix Skipper and Petey Williams, Fit Finlay and Ken Anderson, Havana Pitbulls (Ricky Reyes and Rocky Romero)

• Like 1

Four Horsemen banned from the ringside

Chris Kanyon (w/ Don Callis) vs "The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels

Rey Mysterio vs Sean O'Haire (w/ Bobby "The Brain" Heenan)

Goldberg vs Steve Corino

CM Punk and Samoa Joe
vs AJ Styles and American Dragon

Sting and Lance Storm vs Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli

"American Nightmare" Dustin Rhodes vs CW Anderson (w/ Arn Anderson) (double DQ verdict)

Jerry Lynn
vs Shannon Moore

#1 Contendership for WCW World Tag Team Championship
Tag Team Turmoil

Vampiro and Sabu, LAX (Homicide and Hernandez), Rising Pain (Kaz Hayashi and Low Ki), Brian Kendrick and Paul London, Sonjay Dutt and Yang, Elix Skipper and Petey Williams, Fit Finlay and Ken Anderson, Havana Pitbulls (Ricky Reyes and Rocky Romero)

• Like 1

WCW Bash at the Beach 1996 Logo by Wrestling-Networld on DeviantArt

WCW Bash at the Beach 2002

Show intro. (76)

Match 1, WCW Cruiserweight Championship: Jerry Lynn vs Shannon Moore. Mid-match, Christopher Daniels makes his way to ringside. Jerry Lynn takes down Moore with a spinebuster. 1...2. Jerry Lynn goes outside for a chair. Daniels stops him. They argue. Moore uses the distraction and attacks Lynn. Back to the ring. Spinning neckbreaker by Moore. 1...2. Shannon grabs the chair himself. Daniels again intercepts and urges him to fight fair. Moore and Daniels argue. Lynn attacks Moore from behind and delivers a Cradle Piledriver. 1...2...3. (14:04) (66)

Post match, Christopher Daniels helps Moore to get up. Happy Lynn attempts to celebrate with Daniels. 'Fallen Angel' stays neutral. Moore argues with Lynn. Daniels tries to calm them down, but eventually gives up... and puts Moore down with Last Rites! Daniels and Lynn leave the ring together. (56)

Match 2, #1 Contendership for WCW World Tag Team Championship, Tag Team Turmoil: Vampiro and Sabu, LAX (Homicide and Hernandez), Rising Pain (Kaz Hayashi and Low Ki), Brian Kendrick and Paul London, Sonjay Dutt and Yang, Elix Skipper and Petey Williams, Fit Finlay and Ken Anderson, Havana Pitbulls (Ricky Reyes and Rocky Romero). Homicide and Hernandez open the match first against Fit Finlay and Ken Anderson. Finlay impresses, but LAX quickly focuses on the "weak link" - Anderson. Homicide catches him with the Gringo Killer and pins for three. Havana Pitbulls are next in line. Romero suffers a Border Toss, leading to their elimination. Vampiro and Sabu are next. LAX took the lead again. Sabu impulsively grabs a chair, resulting in a disqualification. Vampiro's frustration with Sabu's reckless tendencies is evident. LAX then faces off against Sonjay Dutt and Yang, but it was a quick elimination. Mike Tenay and Jerry Lawler discuss LAX's dominance. Can they conquer the entire WCW tag team division? WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Champions Kendrick and London enter the match. Initially, it seems they might share the fate of their predecessors. However, Kendrick counters a Border Toss and knocks Hernandez out of the ring with a leg kick! London hits Homicide with a superkick right into Sliced Bread #2 from Kendrick! 1...2...3. Elix Skipper and Petey Williams join the action. Unwilling to accept defeat, LAX attack London at ringside and throw him into the steel steps. This leaves Kendrick alone. Williams executes the Canadian Destroyer, and Skipper follows with a slingshot leg drop, eliminating the WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team champs. The final tag team, Rising Pain, steps into the ring. It was the longest part of the match. Williams attempts the Canadian Destroyer on Hayashi, but Low Ki intervenes with a spinning wheel kick. Low Ki kicks Skipper out of the ring with a leg kick and follows him at ringside. Hayashi lands the Hayashi Cutter on Petey Williams. 1...2...3. (18:38) (74)

Match 3: ‘American Nightmare’ Dustin Rhodes vs CW Anderson (w/ Arn Anderson). This bout quickly devolved into a fierce brawl. Both wrestlers repeatedly sought to use objects outside the ring, doing their best to not been seen by the referee. Dustin sets up for the Shattered Dreams in the corner, but Arn Anderson intervenes. Rhodes takes him down. CW Anderson uses the distraction and hits with a Spinebuster. 1...2... NO! CW attempts another Spinebuster, but Rhodes counters, landing the BlackOut. 1...2... Arn Anderson pulls the referee out of the ring. Dustin goes after Arn, chases him around the ring, but he's met with a crushing kick to the head by CW. Another Spinebuster inside the ring seals the deal. (13:21) (78)

Post match, Dustin Rhodes wants revenge, but the Andersons quickly escape  the arena.

Match 4: Sting and Lance Storm vs Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli. Sting was slightly less involved in the match. Hiro and Castagnoli focused on isolating Storm. Sting's attempts to intervene distract the referee. Hero and Castagnoli want to use chairs against Storm... Lance dodges and hits a double DDT. Sting receives the hot tag. He dominates and locks Hero in a Scorpion Deathlock. Hero taps out, but right before that Castagnoli pulls the referee out of the ring. Claudio attacks Sting and prepares for the Neutralizer, but Storm's superkick stops him. Sting finishes Castagnoli with a Scorpion Death Drop. (9:58) (74)

Match 5, WCW United States Championship: Rey Mysterio vs Sean O’Haire (w/ Bobby Heenan). Sean O'Haire's strategy revolves around grounding Rey, neutralizing his aerial maneuvers. O'Haire puts Mysterio down with a Chokeslam. 1...2. Sean stops the pin himself. He wants to destroy Mysterio. O'Haire throws him into a steel steps. Eventually he was too self-confident. Mysterio pulls off hurricanrana and 6-1-9. WCW US champion is ready for the West Coast Pop... Heenan intervenes. O'Haire uses it and hits Mysterio with a devastating powerbomb. 1...2...NO! Bobby Heenan with the championship belt is on the apron. Rey manages to land a dropkick on O'Haire, then gives the audience a treat by hitting Heenan with a 6-1-9. O'Haire attacks Mysterio and attempts the Widow Maker... Mysterio pushes Sean into a starting to get up Heenan, then nails a hurricanrana followed by a 6-1-9 and the West Coast Pop! 1...2...3. (13:56) (81)

Post match, Bobby Heenan is clearly unhappy with another PPV loss of his client, second in the row. He starts yelling at O'Haire. And in a moment of sheer emotion, delivering a low blow! Heenan leaves the arena, muttering "pathetic" in the camera. (65)

Backstage, Bobby Heenan exits the arena and is promptly caught for an interview. He says he tried to move O'Haire to the top, but as it turns out, it's impossible. Heenan is the manager of champions, but only if he has the proper raw material.

Match 6: Goldberg vs Steve Corino. Goldberg's head still shows the stitches from Corino's brutal brass knuckle attack. Steve initially tries to avoid Goldberg, but this tactic is short-lived. Once Goldberg catches him, he decimates Corino with a powerslam. Corino leaves the ring to regroup. Goldberg follow. He attempts a Spear at ringside, Corino dodges, causing Goldberg to crash into a steel barrier. His wound reopens! Corino uses it to weaken his opponent. Back to the ring. Northern Lights Bomb by Corino. 1...2...NO! Corino knocks the referee down and pulls out the brass knuckles! Goldberg dodges the shot and hits a Spear! Pin, but the referee is still down...Goldberg tries to revive him. Corino uses this moment to get up and hit Goldberg with the brass knuckles to the head! 1...... 2...... Goldberg's foot is on the ropes! Corino is arguing with the ref. This gives Goldberg a chance to get up... SPEAR! JACKHAMMER! 1...2...3. (15:11) (92)

Match 7, WCW World Tag Team Championship: CM Punk and Samoa Joe vs AJ Styles and American Dragon. CM Punk masterminded the match strategy, leveraging the strengths of his powerful partner. Joe devastates Dragon with a knee strike in the corner. Styles attacks Joe and sets up for the Styles Clash... but Punk intervenes. In the chaos, Punk accidentally strikes Joe. Styles knocks Punk down with a spinning kick and hands the tag to Dragon. All four men are in the ring. Styles hits both Punk and Joe with a crossbody. Dragon quickly pins Punk. Only for two. Not wasting any time, Dragon locks CM Punk in a single-leg crab hold. However, Joe intervenes, knocking Dragon out with a thunderous lariat. He then executes the Muscle Buster on Dragon. As the referee counts, 1...2... Punk stops Styles, ensuring the 3 count. (16:31) (82)

Match 8, WCW World Heavyweight Championship: Chris Kanyon (w/ Don Callis) vs Shawn Michaels. Don Callis distracts HBK almost immediately, giving Kanyon an early advantage. Shawn Michaels fights back, even delivering a Flying Elbow. He sets up for the Sweet Chin Music... Kanyon dodges and hits a Kanyon Cutter! 1...2... NO! Kanyon goes for a Flatliner... HBK avoids it and takes the champion down. HBK goes for the Moonsault... Callis interferes. Kanyon attacks HBK and hits a German Suplex from the top rope. 1....2....NO! Callis tosses the championship belt into the ring and distracts the referee... Eric Bischoff rushes in! He stops Kanyon from grabbing the belt. Kanyon floors Bischoff with a clothesline. However, as the champion turns, he's met with a SWEET CHIN MUSIC! 1...2... Callis pulls the referee out of the ring and knocks him down. Don climbs into the ring himself and grabs the championship belt... and gets a Sweet Chin Music from HBK! Michaels shoves Callis out of the ring, turns around and gets a Flatliner on the championship belt. 1...2...3. (16:42) (89)

Post match, Don Callis and Chris Kanyon quickly retrieve the championship belt and exit the ring. Eric Bischoff is visibly frustrated. And this is the end of Bash of the Beach.

Overall: 88

• Like 1

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #62

Backstage, Don Callis arrives at the arena in a great mood. He promises that Chris Kanyon will rightfully celebrate his victory tonight. Also, he announces tonight's match: due to a big win last night, CW Anderson will challenge Rey Mysterio for the WCW United States Championship! (63)

The show begins.

Match 1: Jamie Noble, Billy Kidman and Matt Sydal vs Yang, Matt Bentley and Frankie Kazarian. All these wrestlers will compete in a 6-men match next week to determine the #1 contender for the WCW Cruiserweight Championship, who will get the title shot at the upcoming PPV Road Wild. It was an energetic cruiserweight bout where Kazarian and Bentley demonstrated great chemistry in the end. Bentley took Kidman off the top rope with a superkick, and Kazarian nailed Noble with the Wave of the Future. (8:15) (74)

Backstage, Elix Skipper and Petey Williams meet Lance Storm. Elix attempts to introduce his old friend to Petey. Lance wasn't impressed. After some taunting Skipper and Williams end up attacking Storm. Sting saves Lance just in time. Storm demands a tag team match against them. (46)

Match 2: ‘Fallen Angel’ Christopher Daniels vs Chuck Palumbo. Palambo wasn't bad, but one mistake cost him the win. It happened when Palambo decided to climb the top rope. Daniels performed a superplex and then Last Rites for the win. (5:11) (78)

Post match, Shannon Moore runs in through the crowd and attacks Daniels. Christopher manages to run away.

Bobby Heenan backstage interview. Sean O'Haire has disappointed him. Bobby is famous for making the champions, but only if he has champion's raw material. O'Haire wasn't such material. And has been a big letdown. Heenan will undoubtedly be back, but this time with champion-worthy material. (51)

Match 3: Sonjay Dutt vs Low Ki. The promotion of the cruiserweight division continues. Low Ki catches Dutt with an enziguri, followed by a Double Stomp off the top rope and a pin. (6:27) (65)

Post match, WCW World Tag Team Champions CM Punk and Samoa Joe make their way to the ring. They mock Low Ki, making fun of his appearance and his alleged inability to understand English. Specifically, it's Punk doing the mocking while Joe, as usual, stands aside with an indifferent expression. The confrontation escalates into a brawl, with the champions beating Low Ki down. Kaz Hayashi rushes in for the save. (59)

CW Anderson backstage interview. He brags about his victory over Dustin Rhodes and promises to take the WCW United States Championship tonight. (66)

Match 4: Vampiro and Sabu vs Brian Kendrick and Paul London. Paul London prepares to finish Sabu off with the Shooting Star Press. Sabu rolls out of the ring and retrieves a chair. Vampiro rushes to stop him but is too late - Sabu throws the chair at London, knocking him off the top rope. DQ. (8:25) (71)

Post match, LAX attack Kendrick and London as revenge for being eliminated from Tag Team Turmoil at Bash at the Beach. (58)

Steve Corino in-ring promo. Corino declares that Goldberg's win the previous night was purely accidental. But that's not the main point. What truly matters is that Corino managed to leave Goldberg in blood mess once again. And he's ready to do it week after week. Because Goldberg is yesterday's news. It's the past... Goldberg runs to the ring. He attacks Corino, but is immediately ambushed by Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli. Despite the odds, Goldberg fights back. That is, until Corino lands a hit with brass knuckles. Once again, Goldberg lays in a pool of his own blood, while the Horsemen triumphantly pose over him. (85)

Match 5: Sting and Lance Storm vs Elix Skipper and Petey Williams. This is an opportunity for Skipper and Williams to establish themselves as a promising team. And they succeeded. Williams attempts a "Canadian-style" Sharpshooter, but Storm counters with a superkick. Williams gets caught in the Scorpion Deathlock and Skipper in the Half-Boston Crab – both submit almost simultaneously. (10:28) (67)

Match 6, WCW United States Championship: Rey Mysterio vs CW Anderson (w/ Arn Anderson). Anderson catches Mysterio, but Rey responds with a tornado DDT. He goes for a 6-1-9 - only for Arn Anderson to interfere. Rey pulls Arn into the ring. A 6-1-9 for the manager! Meanwhile, CW Anderson at ringside grabs the championship belt... Dustin Rhodes runs in - delivering a big boot to CW! Dustin sends CW Anderson back into the ring, where he falls victim to a 6-1-9 and a West Coast Pop. 1...2...3. (15:19) (86)

Don Callis makes his way to the ring and introduces WCW World Heavyweight Champion Chris Kanyon. Kanyon once again talks about how he has defeated all the top contenders in WCW, some even twice, and now there are simply no worthy opponents left in WCW… Eric Bischoff is here! Bischoff argues that Kanyon's victory was unfair.  He's sick of the shenanigans of Callis and company. What does he need to do to get them out of WCW and let everyone else live normally? Callis counters by suggesting that Eric is the one who should leave. They're building the company of the future, and Bischoff just won't fit in. Where are his superstars, who want to get rid of them? Why aren't they there and protecting their company if things are that bad? Eric then proposes a deal to Callis. They have a little tradition here... WarGames match at Fall Brawl. Bischoff challenges Callis to 5-on-5 WarGames match at Fall Brawl next September. Match for for 100% control of WCW. Kanyon and Four Horsemen vs Team Bischoff. Let the WarGames determine who's right. If Bischoff's team wins - Callis will be out from WCW. If Kanyon and Horsemen win - Bischoff will give control over the company to Callis. Don Callis accepts. And right after that Chris Kanyon hits Bischoff with a Flatliner. (70)

• Like 1

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #63

Goldberg starts the show. He intends to destroy Steve Corino after what he did last week. He calls him out right now. However, in place of Corino, Shawn Michaels shows up. HBK lightly scoffs at the fact that Goldberg is looking for trouble again and will once again get hit over the head by three men at once. Eventually it comes down to a confrontation between these two again. But before it gets to the first punch, out comes Eric Bischoff. Bischoff reminds them that they need to defend WCW at Fall Brawl. Eric needs HBK and Goldberg to act like a team. Especially since Bischoff wants to make them #1 and #2 on his WarGames team at Fall Brawl! And Bischoff is committed to making them a team. Thus, they'll have a chance to rehearse at Road Wild, where a tag team match awaits - Goldberg and Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Kanyon and Steve Corino, with no holds barred! Brass knuckles - allowed, chairs and tables - allowed, any kind of hold, kick and punch - allowed, anything goes. A match with no rules or restrictions. And there will be a smaller warm-up tonight - HBK and Goldberg will team-up against Corino, Hero and Castagnoli. (96)

Match 1, #1 Contendership for WCW Cruiserweight Championship: Jamie Noble vs Yang vs Billy Kidman vs Matt Sydal vs Matt Bentley vs Frankie Kazarian. Each participant managed to execute a few impressive moves. Kazarian and Bentley joined forces again. They are working as a team against Noble. Sydal kicks them out of the ring and executes a somersault plancha to ringside. Meanwhile, in the ring Kidman blocks a move from Noble and nails him with the Kid Krusher. 1...2... Kidman stops it. He goes at the top rope... Yang attacks him and pushes to the ringside. Yang jumps on the top rope himself and does a Moonsault on Noble... but misses. Noble hits him with a Northern Lights Suplex, but fails to make a pin as Sydal throws him out of the ring. Sydal performs a 450 Splash on Yang. 1...2...3. What a win for this youngster! (11:38) (71)

Post-match, Noble, struggling to accept his loss, nonetheless congratulates Matt Sydal.

LAX backstage interview. They promise to end the careers of Kendrick and London. Last week was just the beginning. They're going to make everyone in WCW respect themselves. Even if they have to beat that respect out. That's when they are attacked by Brian Kendrick and Paul London! The brawl has to be stopped by the refs and officials. (54)

Match 2: Samoa Joe (w/ CM Punk) vs Low Ki (w/ Kaz Hayashi). Low Ki puts up a good fight, but still succumbs to a potent Sprawl Knee Kick and Muscle Buster. (8:07) (78)

Post-match, Joe is ordered by Punk to lock Low Ki in the Koji Clutch, while Punk attacks Kaz Hayashi who's trying to save him. (60)

CW Anderson does a promo at the parking lot. He promises revenge for Dustin Rhodes preventing him from becoming WCW United States Champion last week. Their feud has reached the level of a deadly brawl. That's why CW Anderson eagerly waits for Rhodes in the parking lot. (69)

Match 3: Shannon Moore vs Sonny Siaki. Siaki proved no match for Moore, who successfully ended the match with Rocker Dropper and Moonsault. (3:37) (68)

Post-match, Moore is ambushed by Christopher Daniels and Jerry Lynn. However, he receives unexpected help from... Matt Sydal! Lynn and Daniels clearly underestimated their opponent, and Sydal knocks them out of the ring with a series of acrobatic moves. (57)

Dustin Rhodes arrives in the parking lot - and he's attacked by CW Anderson! A brawl ensues with all sorts of things going on, where Rhodes begins to take the lead. However, Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli join the brawl. The Horsemen beat Rhodes down. AJ Styles and American Dragon come to his rescue, but the damage is already done. (71)

Match 4: Sting vs Petey Williams. This match was the result of a challenge from Petey Williams. And Williams really tried hard. But his Sharpshooter attempt was blocked. A Stinger Splash and Scorpion Death Drop follows. 1...2...3. (7:32) (72)

Post-match, Eric Bischoff makes his way to the ring. Bischoff reminds that he's assembling his team for War Games and needs the kind of leadership that Sting embodies, to unify the entire locker room in the defense of WCW. Sting is hesitant. He doesn't want to let the team down. However... He has an idea who might be better #3. As for the third participant, Sting suggests... Lance Storm! Eric promises to think about it. Sting adds that if Bischoff seeks a true authority figure, one synonymous with WCW, they both know who that could be... And this person despises Corino and the Horsemen and has participated in War Games more than once. It's...Ric Flair! Bischoff is skeptical. Ric hates Eric. Sting counters that if Eric is truly concerned about the future of WCW, Ric Flair should be on the team. (82)

Match 5: Vampiro and Sabu vs Fit Finlay and Ken Anderson. Sabu once again decided to take the chair. Vampiro stops him, not wanting to be disqualified again. While they argue, Anderson knocks Sabu out of the ring and Vampiro gets a Tombstone from Finlay. 1...2...3. (8:13) (52)

Post-match, Sabu still comes back with a chair in his hands and knocks Finley out with it. (47)

Match 6: Goldberg and Shawn Michaels vs Steve Corino, Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli. Shawn Michaels knocks Steve Corino down, executes a Flying Elbow on him, and then leaps out of the ring with a plancha on Hero and Castagnoli. Goldberg takes Corino down with a Spear and Jackhammer. (13:43) (80)

Post-match, Chris Kanyon is here, who strikes HBK with the belt shot to the head! Hero and Castagnoli plus CW Anderson team-up on Goldberg and handcuff him to the ropes. Now The Four Horsemen and Kanyon gang up on the HBK for a brutal five-on-one beatdown! Lance Storm rushes to the ring... and the show abruptly ends.

• Like 1

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #64

Tonight: Eric Bischoff is going to Ric Flair's home to personally convince him to join Team Bischoff at Fall Brawl.

Tonight: Shawn Michaels challenged Steve Corino to a match.

Lance Storm in-ring promo. He expressed an honor at being offered to join the WCW team at Fall Brawl. Especially that suggestion came from Sting. Storm talks about how much he respects Sting. And gives his official answer - he will be competing in the WarGames. He agrees. WCW US Champion Rey Mysterio interrupts. Mysterio is not happy about being left out. Why Lance and not Rey? They eventually negotiate a solution - Rey challenges Storm to a match at Road Wild. The winner gets a spot on Team Bischoff. The wrestlers shake hands. But they are interrupted by WCW World Tag Team Champions, CM Punk and Samoa Joe. Punk mocks their deal, claiming that if Bischoff truly aimed for victory, he would've invited them instead. But he wouldn't accept even if asked, not interested in defending these drug addicts and alcoholics. In response, Storm and Mysterio challenge Punk and Joe to a match right now. (73)

Match 1, WCW World Tag Team Championship: Rey Mysterio and Lance Storm vs CM Punk and Samoa Joe. An accidental superkick from Lance Storm hits Mysterio. A knee strike from Joe sends Storm out of the ring while in the ring, CM Punk executes a Pepsi Plunge on Rey. 1...2...3. (13:54) (84)

Shawn Michaels comes to the ring and cuts a promo about beating he got last week. HBK promises to get revenge on Corino tonight. he also promises to rid WCW of the Horsemen, with or without Goldberg's help. Even if Michaels has to go out alone at WarGames - he'll get Callis and the others out of here. (79)

At some bar, Eric Bischoff awaits Ric Flair's arrival for their meeting, but Flair fails to show up.

Match 2: Jamie Noble and Billy Kidman vs Frankie Kazarian and Matt Bentley. In a surprising turn of events, Kazarian and Bentley pull off a victory after Bentley rolls up Noble, using the ropes for leverage. (4:44) (73)

Dustin Rhodes backstage interview. He's obtained approval from the WCW office. In six days at Road Wild, he's set to face CW Anderson in a street fight. (67)

Match 3: Matt Sydal and Shannon Moore vs Jerry Lynn and Christopher Daniels. Lynn tried to grab the title at ringside, but that's when Sydal jumped on him with somersault. Matt throws the belt into the ring. While the ref checks on Lynn's condition, Moore performs a Rocker Dropper on the belt for Daniels. 1...2...3. (5:36) (75)

Eric Bischoff arrives at Ric Flair's house, but he's not there. The maid gives him an address where Ric might be.

Chavo Guerrero in-ring promo. He's frustrated that everyone talk about Ric Flair again. Eric Bischoff is ready to grovel before him. Chavo won over Flair. But despite his victory over Flair at the Great American Bash, he feels he's still not given the respect he deserves. In fact, he hasn't had a TV match in the past two months! This is the WCW they're supposed to be defending? That WCW sucks! Dropping the mic, he exits the ring. (76)

Match 4: Sabu vs Ken Anderson. The ref gets hurt during the match. Sabu seizes the opportunity, retrieving a few objects from under the ring. Anderson attempts a Kenton Bomb, but is met mid-flight by Sabu, who smashes a tank lid onto his head. Arabian Facebuster follows and a pin to three. (4:16) (72)

Post-match, Sabu continues to put out the weapons. Fit Finlay rushes into the ring and attacks Sabu! Finlay roars that if Sabu desires hardcore, he'll get it from Fit. (51)

Eric Bischoff locates Ric Flair at a nightclub, surrounded by women. After accidentally spilling champagne on Bischoff, Flair promises to deliver his decision in six days at Road Wild, given that Eric sends his best limo for pickup. (84)

Match 5: 'American Nightmare' Dustin Rhodes, AJ Styles and American Dragon vs CW Anderson, Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli (w/ Arn Anderson). Arn Anderson successfully distracts Styles, when he was preparing a high-risk maneuver. Styles jumps right into a Spinebuster from CW Anderson. (13:39) (82)

Match 6: Shawn Michaels vs Steve Corino. Four Horsemen attempt to interfere, but the referee did a good job, stopping them. Distracted, Corino gets hit with a Sweet Chin Music. 1...2...3. (14:49) (99!!!!)

Post-match, Chris Kanyon attacks Shawn Michaels alongside the Four Horsemen. Their beating continues until Goldberg comes to his rescue. Goldberg delivers Spears to Hero, Castagnoli, and Anderson, while Kanyon smartly makes his escape.

Overall: 90

WCW Road Wild 2002

W81LcNJ.png

Final Card

No DQ Match
Goldberg and "The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels vs Chris Kanyon (w/ Don Callis) and Steve Corino

Winner gets spot at Wargames
Rey Mysterio vs Lance Storm

CM Punk and Samoa Joe vs Rising Pain (Kaz Hayashi and Low Ki)

Street Fight
"American Nightmare" Dustin Rhodes vs CW Anderson (w/ Arn Anderson)

Jerry Lynn vs Matt Sydal

AJ Styles and American Dragon vs Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli

LAX (Homicide and Hernandez) vs Brian Kendrick and Paul London

Shannon Moore vs ‘The Fallen Angel’ Christopher Daniels

PLUS: Ric Flair will give his answer! (Y/N?)

• Like 1

No DQ Match
Goldberg and "The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels
vs Chris Kanyon (w/ Don Callis) and Steve Corino

Winner gets spot at Wargames
Rey Mysterio vs Lance Storm

CM Punk and Samoa Joe
vs Rising Pain (Kaz Hayashi and Low Ki)

Street Fight
"American Nightmare" Dustin Rhodes
vs CW Anderson (w/ Arn Anderson)

Jerry Lynn
vs Matt Sydal

AJ Styles and American Dragon vs Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli

LAX (Homicide and Hernandez) vs Brian Kendrick and Paul London

Shannon Moore vs ‘The Fallen Angel’ Christopher Daniels

PLUS: Ric Flair will give his answer! Yes

W81LcNJ.png

WCW Road Wild 2002

Match 1, WCW Cruiserweight Championship: Jerry Lynn vs Matt Sydal. Sydal put a good match, showing that he’s ready for a more attention from the crowd. Lynn avoids the hurricanrana and turns it into a crowning Cradle Piledriver for the win. (14:19) (83)

Ric Flair's limo pulls up to the arena.

Match 2: LAX (Homicide and Hernandez) vs Brian Kendrick and Paul London. Naturally, the belts of Kendrick and London are not on the line. L.A.X. continue to build a reputation as dangerous members of the WCW roster. This time it's the WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Champions who have fallen under their rink. Paul London delivers a series of quick moves, but gets hit with a huge choke suplex from Hernandez. Kendrick comes to the rescue and even performs Sliced Bread #2 on Homicide. Hernandez knocks Kendrick out of the ring. London goes for the Shooting Star Press on Homicide... Hernandez hits him in the head with some sort of foreign object. London falls right into a Gringo Killer from Homicide. (13:50) (79)

Match 3: Shannon Moore vs 'The Fallen Angel' Christopher Daniels. Moore had an advantage for most of the match and was close to victory after a top-rope hurricanrana. Rocker Dropper! 1...2...Daniels manages to put his foot on the ropes. Moore climbs the top rope again... Jerry Lynn enters the arena. Moore is distracted - and that's enough for Daniels to catch Moore on Angel's Wings off the top rope. 1...2...3. (13:39) (77)

Match 4, Street Fight: ‘American Nightmare’ Dustin Rhodes vs CW Anderson. They start fighting right away, showing they really don't like each other. It was a wild brawl with a lot of weapons. CW Anderson managed to smash Dustin's face to a bloody pulp pretty quickly. Rhodes dodged a chair show and landed a low blow. DDT! 1...2...NO! Arn Anderson enters the arena. He jumps on the apron. Dustin attacks him and delivers a suplex into the ring. CW rolls Dustin up into a pin. 1...2...NO. Spinebuster attempt on the chair but Rhodes blocks and performs BlackOut onto a chair. 1...2...3. (11:06) (82)

Post match, James Mitchell is at the ramp! Mitchell recalls how Rhodes buried his "son" Abyss. Sent him straight to hell. But Mitchell was able to negotiate with the Devil himself. And Abyss returned... Abyss comes out on the ramp to prove his point! Dustin prepares to fight... Mitchell continues to speak. He tells that Abyss has returned from Hell, but he didn't come back alone. At that moment, someone climbs into the ring from behind.... and destroys Rhodes him down with a Spear! Wait... It's the IWA Heavyweight Champion El Mesias! Mitchell is pleased. (77)

Match 5: AJ Styles and American Dragon vs Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli. Another classic performance by these teams. Each showed what they are capable of. Plus we witnessed a series of interesting tag team moves. At the end, Hero and Castagnoli removed the pad from the ring post and tried to whip Styles into it, but AJ jumped right onto the ropes and performed a Moonsault on both men at once. Dragon knocks Castagnoli out with a running knee and AJ finishes Hero with a Styles Clash. (15:03) (86)

Match 6, WCW World Tag Team Championship: CM Punk and Samoa Joe vs Rising Pain (Kaz Hayashi and Low Ki). Great tag team matches are becoming the new WCW's signature. Another great bout. Kaz Hayashi gets the hot tag at the end and hits Punk with a Yakuza kick. 1...2. Punk does a tiger suplex on Kaz Hayashi, but while he is pinning Kaz, Low Ki jumps off the top rope with a Double Stomp! 1...2... Samoa Joe breaks the pin at the last moment. Joe kicks Hayashi out of the ring and follows him. CM Punk goes for the Pepsi Plunge on Low Ki, but he blocks and pushes him out of the ring. Joe gets back in the ring - Low Ki jumps on him with a top-rope crossbody, Joe catches him and hits with a gutbuster. Hayashi climbs the apron and gets a running knee from Joe. Punk is back in the ring doing the Pepsi Twist on Low Ki. 1...2...3. (15:09) (86)

Ric Flair in-ring promo. Flair says that the last time he stood in a WCW ring was 2 months ago. All this time he was contemplating whether or not he should show up again. Until Eric Bischoff came to him. Flair thought about his offer for almost 2 weeks. Yes, he has WarGames experience. Yes, WCW runs in his veins. And yes, he hates the Four Horsemen. So whatever relationship he has with Bischoff... He is ready to put it aside and agree. Ric Flair is the #4 member of Team Bischoff!... Chavo Guerrero interrupts. Chavo reiterates how sick he is of everyone waiting for Flair to answer. Chavo defeated Flair two months ago. That's probably why Flair was embarrassed to show up here. But Chavo never got any respect because of it. He has no matches. No push. Nobody offered him being part of Team Bischoff. Flair reminds him that Chavo won by cheating. And Ric even respects him for it, though. They can do it again if that's what Chavo wants. Chavo declines. He's done doing what others want from him. He also is done doing what the crowd wants. Chavo Guerrero leaves the ring. (91)

Match 7, Winner gets the spot in Team Bischoff: Rey Mysterio vs Lance Storm. Lance Storm used his technical skills to control Rey Mysterio, preventing him from using his high-flying moves. He kept Mysterio grounded with various holds. However, Mysterio managed to dodge the Half-Boston Crab. He executes 6-1-9. West Coast Pop! 1...2... but no! As Mysterio climbs the top rope, Storm counters with a superplex. He locks in the Half-Boston Crab, but Rey reaches the ropes just in time. Mysterio dodges a superkick and takes down Storm. He goes for another 6-1-9 and tries the West Coast Pop again, but Storm catches him, delivering a powerbomb and then locking in the Half-Boston Crab. Mysterio has no choice but to tap out. (15:23) (82)

Match 8, No DQ: Goldberg and Shawn Michaels vs Chris Kanyon and Steve Corino. This match is chaotic. Kinda like Attitude Era main events. Announce tables, steel steps, chairs, cables, and even the championship belt are used as weapons. Goldberg and Shawn Michaels have some teamwork issues but manage to get on the same page. Goldberg gets tagged in and dominates his opponents. He attempts a Spear on Kanyon but misses and crashes into the turnbuckle. Kanyon targets Goldberg's shoulder. HBK enters the ring and hits Kanyon with a DDT. 1...2... but Corino breaks the pin. Corino locks HBK in a Figure-Four leglock. Now Goldberg breaks it up. Goldberg delivers a Spear to Corino and tries another on Kanyon, but accidentally hits Michaels instead. Kanyon uses the championship belt to strike Goldberg, sending him outside the ring. Kanyon then hits HBK with his finisher, the Flatliner. 1...... 2..... and...... 3. (14:23) (90)

Overall: 89

• Like 1

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #65

Ric Flair comes out to the ring and talks about how happy he is to be among the WCW fans again. Last night he agreed to be the part of Team Bischoff at Fall Brawl. Flair may hate Bischoff, but he hates the Four Horsemen even more. To top it all off, Ric is thrilled to return to the War Games, even if it might be his final match... The Four Horsemen appear. Steve Corino boldly states he'll do whatever it takes to ensure this is Flair's final match. Flair doesn't belong in the future. In fact, there is no need to wait... Steve is going to retire Ric Flair right now. The Horsemen are surrounding the ring. As they are about to attack, Sting comes to Flair's rescue, guarding the ring with a baseball bat. The Horsemen are forced to leave. Sting and Ric Flair challenge Corino and any of the Horsemen to a match tonight. Corino declines for himself but accepts on behalf of Hero and Castagnoli. The match is set to begin immediately! (92)

Match 1: Sting and Ric Flair vs Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli (w/ Steve Corino and CW Anderson). The Horsemen strategize to corner Flair. However, Ric evades Castagnoli's European uppercut and tags in Sting. Sting scatters his opponents. Steve Corino tries to interfere but gets a low blow from Flair! Sting puts Hero down with the Scorpion Death Drop to three. (12:37) (81)

Match 2, #1 Contendership for WCW Cruiserweight Championship, Battle Royal: Air Paris, Elix Skipper, Shannon Moore, Billy Kidman, Matt Bentley, Frankie Kazarian, Jamie Noble, Low Ki, Matt Sydal, Sonjay Dutt, Yang, Ricky Reyes, Rocky Romero, Brian Kendrick, Paul London, Julio Dinero, Roderick Strong, Jack Evans, Christian York, Joey Matthews. The winner will get a title shot at next Nitro. WCW Cruiserweight Champion Jerry Lynn joins the announcers. Shannon Moore stands out in this match. He advanced to the final four with Elix Skipper, Low Ki and Sonjay Dutt. Moore looked the clear favorite, but Lynn hits him with a belt.  Dutt eliminates Moore. Immediately following that, Elix Skipper sends Dutt out of the ring.  Skipper starts to dominate, but Low Ki kicks him with the enziguri. Another martial arts style kick eliminates his Skipper from the match. Low Ki is the #1 contender for WCW Cruiserweight Championship! (12:47) (78)

Backstage, Lance Storm talks to Shawn Michaels about  the honor he feels teaming up with him at WarGames. HBK says he's seen potential in Storm for a long time. CM Punk and Samoa Joe walk by. Punk rides HBK, saying that everyone in the WWF is on steroids. Did HBK bring something of it to WCW? Storm challenges them to a match tonight and urges them to put the titles on the line. (75)

Match 3: Sabu vs Petey Williams. Sabu grabs the chair again. The referee took it away. Williams takes advantage of the confusion and is about to do the Canadian Destroyer, but Sabu pushes him off and does the Hurricanrana into a roll up. 1...2...3. (5:17) (66)

Post-match, Sabu listens to the crowd... and goes for the steel chair! Sabu prepares to Triple Jump... But Fit Finlay runs out and attacks Sabu. The brawl has to be broken up by the referees. (53)

CW Anderson backstage interview. He has a match against Goldberg tonight. Everyone is afraid of Goldberg. But not CW Anderson. CW is an enforcer. It's his job to destroy people. And tonight he's going to destroy Goldberg. (69)

Mike Sanders returns to WCW! Sanders cuts a promo before his match promising great things ahead.

Match 4: ‘American Nightmare’ Dustin Rhodes vs Mike Sanders. The comeback fails. Rhodes catches Sanders with a powerslam and then hits him with a BlackOut. (5:36) (73)

Post-match, James Mitchell brings out his "kids" - Abyss and Mesias (who dropped "El" from his name). They attack Dustin and put him down with a Double Chokeslam. (68)

Match 5: Goldberg vs CW Anderson (w/ Arn Anderson). CW Anderson managed to slightly injure Goldberg's arm. He went on to hit his opponent's weak spot the entire match. Goldberg took the lead at the end. Arn gives his protégé brass knuckles, but CW doesn't have time to use it - Spear and Jackhammer end the match. (10:44) (78)

Match 6, WCW World Tag Team Championship: CM Punk and Samoa Joe vs Shawn Michaels and Lance Storm. Joe and Punk dominated Storm until the hot tag to HBK. Shawn scatters his opponents and even performs a Flying Elbow on Joe. Punk pulls Shawn out of the ring and whips his back-first into a steel post. CM Punk grabs the championship belt. The ref stops him. Storm rolls Punk up. And then turns it into a Half-Boston Crab! But Punk is illegal in the ring. HBK comes back in, dodges a knee strike from Joe... Sweet Chin Music! 1....2.... Chris Kanyon breaks the pin, knocking HBK out with the WCW World Heavyweight Championship belt. Disqualification. (14:44) (80)

Post-match, Kanyon beats Michaels down, while Punk and Joe focus on Lance Storm.

Backstage, WCW President Eric Bischoff is speaking on the phone. He talks to 5th member of his team. It's some kind of surprise. Whoever it is, he is set to appear on the next Nitro!

WCW Announces Cancellation of Future 'Road Wild' Shows

World Championship Wrestling (WCW) has officially announced the discontinuation of its Road Wild shows, traditionally held at the Sturgis Motorcade in August.

In a recent press release, WCW revealed plans to revamp its pay-per-view (PPV) calendar beginning in 2003. Taking cues from its competitors, WCW will spotlight its four most historic PPVs, now referred to as the "Big Four". These major events include Starrcade (the flagship show of the year), SuperBrawl, Great American Bash, and Halloween Havoc.

Additionally, the rest of PPVs will have thematic elements or even be full-theme shows.

Inside sources report a palpable buzz within the WCW offices following discussions about the 2003 roadmap. While specific details remain under wraps, the enthusiasm from WCW staff suggests significant changes in the company's infrastructure and direction as they usher in the New Year.

• Like 1

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #66

Tonight - In the main event, WCW World Heavyweight Champion Chris Kanyon and WCW World Tag Team Champions CM Punk and Samoa Joe will face off against Shawn Michaels, Lance Storm and Ric Flair.

Eric Bischoff comes to the ring and announces that tonight everyone will discover the identity of the 5th member of Team Bischoff for the WarGames at Fall Brawl. (79)

Match 1: American Dragon vs ‘The Fallen Angel’ Christopher Daniels. The announcers are impressed by the huge arsenal of submission holds performed by American Dragon. Dragon ended the match with an Ankle Lock modification, forcing Daniels to tap out. (13:59) (69)

Dustin Rhodes in-ring promo. He wants to settle scores with Mitchell and his "sons" once and for all. James Mitchell, Abyss and Mesias appear. Mitchell confirms Rhodes vs Mesias match at Fall Brawl. (63)

Match 2: Fit Finlay vs Frankie Kazarian. Despite Kazarian's recent momentum, he's no match for the aggressive Finlay. Finley finishes Kazarian with a Tombstone. (6:11)

Post-match, Finlay addresses Sabu, asserting he's the true hardcore brawler in WCW and is eager to prove it. (52)

Next Week - An 8-man mini-tournament is scheduled for next week. The winners of the four matches will compete in a final fatal 4-way match in two weeks, with the winner earning a WCW US Championship shot at Fall Brawl.

WCW US Champion Rey Mysterio backstage interview. He wishes the participants in the tournament the best of luck. And it will be a great honor to defend the title against the winner. (71)

Match 3, WCW Cruiserweight Championship: Jerry Lynn vs Low Ki. In a thrilling contest, Low Ki showcases his martial arts moves. Lynn dodges a Double Stomp. Cradle Piledriver attempt... Low Ki does the Shining Wizard. 1...2...NO! Lynn gets out of the ring and grabs a chair. Shannon Moore runs out and hits a dropkick into the chair! Moore rolls Lynn into the ring where he gets a Double Stomp off the top rope. 1...2...3. We have the NEW WCW Cruiserweight Champion! (15:06) (74)

Chavo Guerrero in-ring promo. He says that everyone wants to know the name of the 5th member of Team Bischoff tonight. Chavo knows who is definitely not the 5th member - himself. What a shame. Chavo has beaten the best, but they don't even put him in serious matches. Instead they pull Flair, who Chavo beat not too long ago... Sting interrupts. He reminds that he was the one who, as a "mentor" for Team Bischoff, recommended Flair. Chavo is a good wrestler. But he's not worth a tenth of what Flair can give the team. Chavo makes fun of Sting's "mentorship." "Mentor" means that Sting himself is good for nothing. Sting offers to test that right there. But Chavo retreats. Sting starts posing. Guerrero comes back, attacking Sting from behind! FROG SPLASH! (86)

Match 4: Goldberg vs Claudio Castagnoli. Castagnoli impresses with a series of powerful moves. A T-Bone suplex almost put Goldberg down. But the Neutralizer attempt is blocked - Spear! Jackhammer! 1...2...3. (9:34) (81)

Post-match, Claudio's partner Chris Hero attacks Goldberg. Goldberg tries to fight back, but Claudio joins. Goldberg is still stronger. Finally, Horsemen leave the ring, and Goldberg chases them to the arena exit. (76)

Match 5: Chris Kanyon, CM Punk and Samoa Joe vs Shawn Michaels, Lance Storm and Ric Flair. During the match, Samoa Joe knocked out HBK at ringside with a powerful knee strike. Michaels was unable to take part in the match for a while. The champions attempt to isolate Storm. Lance manages to pass the hot tag to Flair. Ric Flair scatters his opponents with chops, but he's still outnumbered. HBK gets back in the ring. Kanyon avoids Sweet Chin Music and leaves the ring. Storm knocks Joe out of the ring. And Punk gets Sweet Chin Music and a pin. 1...2...3. (14:41) (92)

Post-match, Chris Kanyon returns and attacks Michaels from behind. Steve Corino and CW Anderson run to the ring. Kanyon, Punk, Joe and Four Horsemen begin to dominate. But then he shows up... the 5th member of Team Bischoff... BOOKER T! Booker T cleans house. Harlem Sidekick on Anderson! Harlem Sidekick on Punk! Harlem Sidekick on Kanyon! Corino gets the Axe Kick and... Spin-a-Roonie to the delight of the fans! The show concludes with Booker T celebrating in the ring. (90)

Overall: 88

• Like 2

WCW Monday Nitro
Episode #67

WCW US Champion Rey Mysterio opens the show, talking about prestige of the WCW United States Championship and the honor of defending it. As the mini-tournament begins tonight, determining the #1 contender for Fall Brawl, Rey wishes the competitors luck and looks forward to facing a worthy opponent.

Match 1, Semifinal for #1 Contendership for WCW US Championship: Samoa Joe vs American Dragon. The match turns into a showcase of grappling moves. Dragon, much like last week, started to show off innovative submissions. It got to the point where both wrestlers went to the ringside. There, Dragon grabs Joe in a single-leg Boston crab modification and doesn't let go, even though the ref counts out. Dragon wins the fight, but doesn't win the match. Double count-out. (13:43) (84)

Booker T in-ring promo. He is glad to be back. WCW is his home. He declined WWF offer. He is here for life. And he is ready to defend WCW as the 5th member of Team Bischoff at Fall Brawl…. Steve Corino interrupts. He is still bitter about last week's Axe Kick. Corino challenges Booker to a match tonight, which Booker T accepts. (93)

Match 2, Semifinal for #1 Contendership for WCW US Championship: Fit Finlay vs Homicide. Without Hernandez in his corner, Homicide had a tough time against an experienced brawler like Finlay. Fit goes for the Tombstone. Sabu walks out onto the ramp with a chair in hand. Finley gets distracted - and gets the Gringo Killer. (6:50) (62)

Former WCW Cruiserweight Champion Jerry Lynn in-ring promo. He challenges Shannon Moore, who did cost him the title last night. Shannon Moore shows up and accepts the challenge. But he's sick of fighting against Daniels and Lynn at the same time. So Shannon proposes a tag match at Fall Brawl, promising to reveal his partner at the event. The challenge is accepted. The two of them agree to a singles extreme rules match next week. (62)

Match 3, Semifinal for #1 Contendership for WCW US Championship: Mark Jindrak (w/ Ted DiBiase) vs Billy Kidman. Despite DiBiase's presence, Kidman manages to counter Jindrak's offense. Kidman dodges a dropkick, hits a Kid Krusher and finishes the match with Shooting Star Press. (6:16) (75)

Post-match, Sean O’Haire makes his way to the ring! He grabs the mic and cuts a promo about how their managers promised them a successful solo career, but where has it gotten them? Mark only appears on B-shows and is stuck in midcard forever. These managers only want to prolong the youth and career at their expense. But it is Mark and Sean who are the future. O'Haire suggests they team up and dominate together. DiBiase tries to say something... but gets a powerful lariat from Jindrak! Widow Maker by O'Haire. Sean and Mark leave the ring together. (77)

Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli backstage interview. They promise to finish the job and sideline Goldberg before Fall Brawl. (64)

Match 4, Semifinal for #1 Contendership for WCW US Championship: AJ Styles vs ‘The Fallen Angel’ Christopher Daniels. Both wrestlers come close to victory. There was a lot of near falls. A Pele kick almost got Styles the win, but Daniels break out of the pin at the last moment. Daniels catches AJ for an Angel's Wings attempt, but Styles blocks and delivers an Asai DDT for the win. (13:35) (91)

Next Week - AJ Styles, Billy Kidman and Homicide will compete next week to determine the #1 contender for the WCW United States Championship. (54)

Sting backstage interview. Chavo Guerrero made a big mistake by cheap attacking Sting last week. Chavo wants to cheat? He can cheat, if that's who he is. But now he has a problem with Sting. Sting challenges Chavo to a match at Fall Brawl. (75)

Match 5: Goldberg vs Chris Hero. Goldberg controls the match until Hero sends him outside the ring. As Goldberg attempts a comeback, Claudio Castagnoli appears and hits Goldberg in the injured shoulder with a steel pipe. DQ. (8:30) (75)

Post-match, Hero and Castagnoli damage Goldberg's shoulder even more, until WCW officials intervene. (73)

Match 6: Booker T vs Steve Corino (w/ Arn Anderson). The referee sends Arn Anderson backstage pretty early in the match. Corino gains an advantage by slamming Booker into the steel post. Back in the ring, Booker T counters with a spinebuster. 1...2. The ref was accidentally hit. Booker T performs an Axe Kick and pins, but there's no one to count. CW Anderson attacks Booker! Anderson hits a clothesline, but misses and knocks Corino down! Booker T knocks Anderson out of the ring with a Harlem sidekick. Corino gets the Axe Kick. 1...2...3. (15:03) (92)

Post-match, Chris Kanyon attacks Booker T. The remaining Horsemen plus Don Callis show up. Shawn Michaels, Lance Storm and Ric Flair are already rushing to Booker T's save. Even Eric Bischoff is here! A massive brawl ensues, during which Bischoff knocks Callis out. The show goes off the air. (92)

Overall: 90

• Like 1