Risky Business - 1985

According to Wiki, Kowalski's International Wrestling Federation promoted under the name "Killer Kowalski's All Stars", but it sounds like they only started using that name in the '90s. That's the closest I can find.

Looks like its more of this promotion...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NWA_All-Star_Wrestling and being Canadian.

So I have corrected it to reflect this as well as shutting the ASWA which closed in November 1974.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear! Will sort this tomorrow! And super cool you have gone to lengths to play!!! Have made the same sacrifices myself in the past since EWR...and now hoping Pro Wrestling Sim on Steam will be worth it too and recommend if you haven't yet!!!!

The 1985 PWS version of Risky Business is just a basic conversion of Matt Shannon's TEW2016 mod. So it will obviously miss the content that isn't converted by the converter.

Sincere apologies, had no idea. And will add credits to FP and tomorrow will update mod with credits tomorrow. And will look into your feedback too.

No worries, man. When I saw Gaz's name in the credits, I was pretty sure he was the source of the theft.

I'm really getting into the history of wrestling & watched a lot it from '85 to about '95, so if I think I can give any feedback to help you with accuracy, I'll make sure to do so.

EDIT: Additionally, I've spent lots of time in the editor & found ASWA is set to open Jan '85, but it was only open for 2 years in the 70s. During the period in the mod, she was dying of cancer. Here's a really cool read about the company, if you like wrestling history like I do. I know you said you want to make this as good as it can be & wanted feedback, so I hope that helps.

Ann didn't die of cancer until Feb. 1987. Regardless, while it is true the ASWA was open for 2 years in the '70s, she did indeed relaunch it in '85 and gave it a go as you can see here:

I also can't find any record of All-Star Wrestling by Killer Kowalski ever existing. Maybe my Google-fu is weaker than it used to be, but I've also never heard of it before.

As someone else pointed out, Kowalski promoted under the IWF (International Wrestling Federation) banner, but also did promote under Killer Kowalski's All Star Wrestling later on. Kowalski's promotion absolutely existed in the '80s as the IWF, as there are results available on a variety of sites (cagematch, wrestlingdatabase, etc.) and, iirc, ads that one can find on newspapers.com and other such sites.

Looks like its more of this promotion...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NWA_All-Star_Wrestling and being Canadian.

So I have corrected it to reflect this as well as shutting the ASWA which closed in November 1974.

As I stated to the other poster:

Kowalski indeed ran under the International Wrestling Federation (IWF) banner, later changing it to Kowalski's All Star Wrestling/Killer Kowalski's All Stars.

Here's some cards from the promotion under both names, with results, up on cagematch:

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=8&nr=782&page=8

As for Gunkel's All-South Wrestling Alliance, you should put it back in. Ann re-launched the promotion in '85, as the video I posted earlier shows, and this one as well:

Just a couple of thoughts:

-One narrative for consideration is the oil crash of 1986 that had a huge negative impact on the oil-dependent states such as Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma. This devastated Mid-South's business and hurt WCCW quit a bit as well.

- Jim Crocket's finances might be set to "flashy" to represent his spending habits.

- This is just a personal preference of mine, but I prefer to have many local TV broadcasters in each US region of different sizes rather than have some companies with "US syndication." The reason for that is WWF's tv presence in New York in 1985 was much different than their reach in Texas. Likewise for MidSouth and WCCW.

- Herb Abram's UWF (US version) has the Japan UWF style.

- Mike Bennet has already debuted

- I don't know if this has anything to do with the Mod or rather TEW but when I autobook matches I get almost all "Lucky 21", "mud wrestling" or some other gimmick matches.

- Starcade, Survivor Series, Thanksgiving Star Wars, and several other promotions' Thanksgiving shows might all be set to Thursday week 4 of November.

-One narrative for consideration is the oil crash of 1986 that had a huge negative impact on the oil-dependent states such as Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma. This devastated Mid-South's business and hurt WCCW quit a bit as well.

- Jim Crocket's finances might be set to "flashy" to represent his spending habits.

- This is just a personal preference of mine, but I prefer to have many local TV broadcasters in each US region of different sizes rather than have some companies with "US syndication." The reason for that is WWF's tv presence in New York in 1985 was much different than their reach in Texas. Likewise for MidSouth and WCCW.

- Herb Abram's UWF (US version) has the Japan UWF style.

- Mike Bennet has already debuted

- I don't know if this has anything to do with the Mod or rather TEW but when I autobook matches I get almost all "Lucky 21", "mud wrestling" or some other gimmick matches.

- Starcade, Survivor Series, Thanksgiving Star Wars, and several other promotions' Thanksgiving shows might all be set to Thursday week 4 of November. For extra realism I set the locations to Greensboro, Superdome, and Reunion Arena respectively.

Again mainly just personal preferences on my part and some observations but some things to consider:

- Ron Simmons should debut with some popularity as he was a highly regarded college football player (as Jim Ross may have mentioned) in a region where college football is a religion

- Jerry Lawler loyalty to CWA

- In my test sims JPUK gets very strong and big. Is there a potential narrative to slow that down?

- I move Starcade to Thanksgiving (4th Thursday in November) as well as supercards for MidSouth and WCCW

- AWA All Star Wrestling was their syndicated program while CHampionship Wrestling was shown on ESPN and internationally.

- AWA had some popularity in what TEW calls the Southwest (San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, etc.)

Is there any way to help ensure iconic tag teams stay together and if one signs with a company so does the other? I'm thinking Road Warriors, Midnight Express and Rock n Roll Express in particular.

• 6 months later...

I also had the same issue and just learn it is related to default matches.

Because in this mod all matches are set as default the auto booker use this strange match types. You can simply change in game the default matches. I believe in the screen where booking the match.

If anyone is like me and gets miffed by minor stuff, if you're considering playing as the AWA in this mod it might be worth modifying their popularity a tiny bit. Their popularity is lower in the Mid-West than in the Great Lakes which makes sense because their home base is in Minnesota...except TEW considers Minnesota to be Mid West. Which means the AWA is less popular in their home market than they realistically should be.

There's not really a perfect fix for this, unfortunately. Switching the pop values for Mid West and Great Lakes would probably do it.

• 2 weeks later...
If anyone is like me and gets miffed by minor stuff, if you're considering playing as the AWA in this mod it might be worth modifying their popularity a tiny bit. Their popularity is lower in the Mid-West than in the Great Lakes which makes sense because their home base is in Minnesota...except TEW considers Minnesota to be Mid West. Which means the AWA is less popular in their home market than they realistically should be.

There's not really a perfect fix for this, unfortunately. Switching the pop values for Mid West and Great Lakes would probably do it.

Basically every TEW Mod (2016 and 2020) I've played bar one or two has had Minnesota's popularity for companies and workers assigned to the Great Lakes rather than Mid West, it annoys me immensely.

It's easier to mentally retcon the Minnesota market as being part of Great Lakes and change company/dojo locations to reflect as such rather than dealing with the alternative I've found (which would be adjusting all the population ratings for companies and workers).

This playable?

Yeah, it's totally playable. There's an initial hiring spree from WWF and Crockett that can't really be avoided, as far as I know, but it's not too bad. And AJPW and NJPW usually do one, too that you can mitigate (per. Dalton) by turning the weight split off and just making sure the weight limits on the titles are accurate since with the split they end up hiring way too much talent. I'd also recommend altering any venues/locations that have Minnesota as being in the Mid-West so that they're in the Great Lakes as Embee mentioned above since the AWA is basically already set up as if that's the case.

But other than that it works fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so, tentatively, I think I've fixed the problem with the hiring sprees. Or at least the ones for the WWF and JCP, I haven't messed too much with the Japanese promotions. (Although turning off weight split as mentioned above does help.) I don't want to upload a full-on database without Leeroybrown's permission, but if anyone's interested this seems to be how to solve it. Or at least severely mitigate it.

The problem stems (which I think I mentioned in either this thread or the other Risky Business thread) from the game's minimum roster size. If you open the editor and go to the WWF there's a button on the bottom left that says "Estimated Roster." If you click that you'll see that in the default Risky Business database the WWF has ten wrestlers less than what the AI considers to be the "minimum value." Jim Crockett promotions is six under. (World Class is actually, like, 20+ under, but given that they're supposed to be a company on the downswing I think that makes sense.)

When companies don't meet this minimum value they will hire workers until they do, and if they have the money they'll just hire the best workers they can to exclusive deals.

So how do you solve this? Jobbers.

Bring up any listing of WWF/Jim Crockett shows from January 85 and there's tons of guys being used regularly by the companies who don't have contracts in the DB. If you add them to their respective companies it greatly reduces the effects of that initial WWF hiring spree and helps keep the game a little more balanced and realistic. You might still lose Rick Martel or Jimmy Garvin as the AWA, but you won't lose your entire main event scene anymore.

So who should you add? Glad you asked.

WWF

• Alexis Smirnoff
  • Swede Hanson
  • Blackjack Mulligan
  • Johnny Rodz
  • Salvatore Bellomo
  • SD Jones
  • Bob Bradley
  • Terry Gibbs
  • Rene Goulet
  • Charlie Fulton
  • George Wells
  • Barry Orton/Barry O
  • Jose Luis Rivera
  • Paul Roma

Jim Crockett Promotions

• Buzz Tyler
  • Doug Vines
  • Tommy Lane
  • Jeff Sword
  • Steve Dane (worked as Steve Casey, but there's already someone with that name in the DB, I changed it, but obviously you don't have to.)
  • Ray Candy (as Kareem Muhammad)

You'll have to alter Steve Dane since he's not set to debut in the DB until September, but he was working JCP shows as Steve Casey in January.

All of these guys are wrestlers who worked for the WWF and JCP pretty regularly throughout '85, some of them hundreds of times, so I'm not padding the companies out with randoms or anything. You could also stand to add more women to the WWF, but since a lot of the women they hire on that initial spree are people who were working for them already at the time like Winona Little Heart I didn't consider it a huge deal, but I might edit this later to add a list of women if you want to keep it accurate.

Hi, I am stick to this MOD and he awesome a great time to start booking wrestling, but I got an issue about TV show : World Championship Wrestling by January 1985 was not a JCP tv show, that happened on April 1985. By January World Championship Wrestling was still a studio wrestling tv show from WWF (Black Saturday) . For a future update, maybe. thanks

Hi, I am stick to this MOD and he awesome a great time to start booking wrestling, but I got an issue about TV show : World Championship Wrestling by January 1985 was not a JCP tv show, that happened on April 1985. By January World Championship Wrestling was still a studio wrestling tv show from WWF (Black Saturday) . For a future update, maybe. thanks

That was done for gameplay reasons. It was intentional.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/16/2022 at 6:52 PM, outb0undflight said:

I don't want to upload a full-on database without Leeroybrown's permission

is Leeroybrown still around and working on this mod?

Risky Business 1985 is by far my favorite mod but I edit the origin database similar like outb0undflight did.

I hope the mod could be further supported and updated. I mean it just needs little tweaks here or there to make it perfect.