[HYPE] Death of the Territories Mod

Work on a completely revamped Death of the Territories is underway.

R8mK19F.jpg

ALPHA RELEASE

Having hit a slight wall with editing, I thought it best to send out an early version for people to look at. Any issues, problems, amends, thoughts and everything in between, please let me know:

**UPDATE 20/09/21**

Total Workers: 1,774

Bios Written: 1,250/1,774

Worker Pictures: 1,250/1,774

Title Histories: Complete

1. I've added a few titles to smaller companies to stop the AI artificially creating weird sounding titles like 'No. 1 Contenders' etc.

2. Removed some of the tournaments which aren't set to begin within a year of kick-off.

3. Amended all titles prestige levels to match the rough popularity of each promotion and thus avoid any being discontinued unnecessarily.

4. Run multiple tests to make sure there are no over-the-top workers. Happy with the last 3 as MACW run with Race vs. Flair in the main event and some combination of Piper/Valentine next on the list.

5. Upgraded some WWF popularities to stop them signing up a dozen top free agents on day one. Only thing I'm struggling with is Andre the Giant not allowing himself to be jobbed out every week. But should find a decent balance.

6. Finished amending UK, Japan and Mexico popularity for main workers as they should be treated as important where they're based, but less so outside of that region in most cases.

7. Thanks to stat corrections the Top 500 is no longer dominated by luchadors and all Japanese workers, much more healthy balance in my opinion.

8. Added a couple of narratives for flavour, but which have no impact on gameplay.

9. Added starting storylines for companies which require them. In most cases its just a rough idea of what was happening and only those famous stories (Stagger Lee, Piper/Valentine) get a write-up.

What's left is Bios and Pictures for all the new workers. I might pinch them from other mods where the writing is good to help speed me along to BETA release quicker. Then all I need to add is 'Agers' and we should be good for testing.

**UPDATE 13/09/21**

Total Workers: 1,774

Bios Written: 1,200/1,774

Worker Pictures: 1,200/1,774

Logos (Company, TV, Event): Not complete

Quiet week as I've busy with work. I have continued to add title histories. 41 histories to correct left.

I would like to add that steesh07 has created an awesome skin for the mod, so really he's the MVP of the week.

**UPDATE 05/09/21**

Total Workers: 1,782

Bios Written: 1,187/1,782

Worker Pictures: 1,187/1,782

Rookies

As you can see I've added a further 600+ Yet-to-Debut workers. I have standardised their starting stats based on the awesome advice given by jbergey_2005. As part of the overall nerfing of the game world, their starting stats are lower than normal and allow a certain amount of chaos and RNG about who might become stars of the future.

Titles

Plan is to rewrite all title histories to match the format used when playing the game (e.g. Wk 1, January 1983)

Still working my way through these one at a time.

TV/Broadcasters

Going to leave this now until the BETA and let you guys tell me how it plays. Obviously with games like this you'll never get it perfect, my hope is to just make it work within the confines of the game system (although there is plenty within TEW2020 to really help mods like this, notably... Narratives...)

Narratives

Added a number of narratives to enhance the feeling of actually being part of the territory system and being in the cut-and-thrust. This is good news for WWF and MACW games, less good for the likes of GCW, MSW and WCCW.

Tidbits

More tinkering for young workers stats so that people like Davey Boy Smith and Rick Rude don't immediately win the NWA World Heavyweight Title.

Remaining Issues

Mexico, Japan and UK are now better positioned not to run roughshod over the wrestling world. I've limited certain workers by region having initially unlocked all regions for all workers. Probably going to add narratives to simulate the complete death of the British area, thus making it a real challenge to run promotions like BTW and JPUK. I also need to increase the popularity of the older generation of workers otherwise the AI struggles to make new stars and remain at a big size.

**UPDATE 30/08/21**

This will be the first of weekly updates to highlight how progress is going.

Total Workers: 1,187

Bios Written: 966/1,187

Worker Pictures: 840/1,187

Company Detail

Added Polynesian Professional Wrestling

Titles

Plan is to rewrite all title histories to match the format used when playing the game (e.g. Wk 1, January 1983)

** MACW Titles Complete**

Moved NWA World and NWA World Tag Team to NWA Alliance and away from MACW

TV/Broadcasters

Still tinkering to find the best way to simulate reality within these. Getting better although Georgia Championship Wrestling still become huge within a year.

Tidbits

Brought forward the debuts of the Rock n Roll Express and The Road Warriors to help make sure two of the best teams are ready to go at the start.

Remaining Issues

Mexico, Japan and UK dominate the overall game rankings (although I'm getting better with this following some severe nerfing of young stars who are waaaay too over).

**UPDATE 24/08/21**

Total Workers: 1,185

Bios Written: 246/1,185

Worker Pictures: 809/1,185

Company Detail

Amended all popularity.

Modified a few niggling issues with Product.

Renamed Jim Crockett Promotions - Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling

Moved American Wrestling Association to Mid West from Great Lakes.

Titles

WWF Title Histories Complete.

TV/Broadcasters

Jesus this was a job and a half. I've tried where possible to put the TV Show on the right network and have played around with the amount of money companies earn/or have to pay to stop certain companies becoming juggernauts in 6 months (I'm looking at you Georgia Championship Wrestling).

Tidbits

In instances where workers were working for a company in late 1982 and didn't start at a new company until Jan-Feb 1983, I'm giving them contracts with both. Partly to help generate a cohesive historical report of the wrestling world during 1983/84, but also because every company has high demands on the number of workers required and I'm keen not to have hundreds of worker moves in the first week of the game.

Remaining Issues

Mexico, Japan and UK dominate the overall game rankings. Best workers, best shows, most money. I'll need to tackle that eventually.

**17/08/21**

I have held off on mentioning this while I tried to get the data into working order and to make sure it was possible. I now believe it is, so thought I'd mention it here.

As it stands I decided, having imported the data over from 2016 import that this info and data had been passed through all the way from TEW 2004 with only minor tweaks along the way. Therefore, as mentioned, I am now rebuilding the whole database including custom images, new bios and changes to every characters stats to make it a little bit more realistic and a little bit tougher.

So where are we:

Start Date: Jan 1st 1983

First things first I am slightly fudging some timelines as I need to move more workers into employement to stop the AI splurging on signings on day 1 to fulfil their rosters.

I've also tried to tweak the popularity of each territory to closer resemble the sort of attendances and gates they were receiving.

Worker popularity - This is the biggest problem as there were lots of rookies who were really over and in a number of territories they were bashing out 90+ rated shows off the bat.

Worker Ability - Now look, I like Abdullah the Butcher as much as the next guy, but the fact he had high psychology, basics and safety felt a touch unrealistic. There are lots of examples of workers with very high ratings in stats like brawling, technical and flashiness, which meant the data was top-loaded and every company had the ability to put on world class matches. This felt too easy. Therefore, all worker stats are being nerfed to increase the challenge.

With all the above in mind, I am looking for some help if anyone is interested:

US Territories - I need historians or experts (or researchers) who are willing to look at territories and tell me who are the big stars of each (and who were the big stars) as I need to properly reflect popularity of certain workers in certain areas.

Japan, Mexico, British Isles and Europe - If anyone can write biographies for workers from these regions? Looking at 140 words as a standard and I need everyone from the period (except Inoki, Baba, Santo, Demon, Fujinami and Sayama). They have been included somewhere along the line and the stats are all over the place.

Testers - In a few weeks I'll have the data ready for testing and I'll need people willing to go through it and double-check and test, so if you're one of these people let me know.

Skin - I'm looking for a custom skin suitable for the time. Maybe in an 80s TV show style.

If anyone has any questions, or problems or suggestions, please put them in this thread (or DM me) and I'll respond.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will you add more future talent and promotions to expand world to modern times??

For the time being I'm focusing on getting the 80s into a workable and less unpredictable shape. I'll focus on new workers after the fact, although the mileage on that will depend. Key for me is to get the current and near-future time period correct.

Love to see it ol' pal!

Can't wait to see what you get going.

Hello old friend, nice to see you still hanging around the boards.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="53494" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Not sure if you've addressed this yet, but previous releases of this had World Championship Wrestling as a JCP tv show when at the time it was a Georgia Championship Wrestling show.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yup, already sorted that one.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="LordofGustav" data-cite="LordofGustav" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="53494" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I fell in love with this in the days of TEW2013. I would like to join as a tester.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Fantastic. You're in. I'm currently smashing my way through a deep-dive stat and popularity update. As soon as that's done I'll sling it your way.</p>

<p><strong>**UPDATE 27/08/21**</strong></p><p> </p><p>

This will be the first of weekly updates to highlight how progress is going.</p><p> </p><p>

Total Workers: 1,185</p><p>

Bios Written: 246/1,185</p><p>

Worker Pictures: 809/1,185</p><p>

Logos (Company, TV, Event): Not complete</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Company Detail</strong></p><p>

Amended all popularity. </p><p>

Modified a few niggling issues with Product.</p><p>

Renamed Jim Crockett Promotions - Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling</p><p>

Moved American Wrestling Association to Mid West from Great Lakes.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Titles</strong></p><p>

Plan is to rewrite all title histories to match the format used when playing the game (e.g. Wk 1, January 1983)</p><p>

WWF Title Histories Complete.</p><p> </p><p>

TV/Broadcasters</p><p>

Jesus this was a job and a half. I've tried where possible to put the TV Show on the right network and have played around with the amount of money companies earn/or have to pay to stop certain companies becoming juggernauts in 6 months (I'm looking at you Georgia Championship Wrestling).</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Tidbits</strong></p><p>

In instances where workers were working for a company in late 1982 and didn't start at a new company until Jan-Feb 1983, I'm giving them contracts with both. Partly to help generate a cohesive historical report of the wrestling world during 1983/84, but also because every company has high demands on the number of workers required and I'm keen not to have hundreds of worker moves in the first week of the game.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Remaining Issues</strong></p><p>

Mexico, Japan and UK dominate the overall game rankings. Best workers, best shows, most money. I'll need to tackle that eventually.</p>

**UPDATE 27/08/21**

Total Workers: 1,185

Bios Written: 246/1,185

Worker Pictures: 809/1,185

Company Detail

Amended all popularity.

Modified a few niggling issues with Product.

Renamed Jim Crockett Promotions - Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling

Moved American Wrestling Association to Mid West from Great Lakes.

Titles

WWF Title Histories Complete.

TV/Broadcasters

Jesus this was a job and a half. I've tried where possible to put the TV Show on the right network and have played around with the amount of money companies earn/or have to pay to stop certain companies becoming juggernauts in 6 months (I'm looking at you Georgia Championship Wrestling).

Tidbits

In instances where workers were working for a company in late 1982 and didn't start at a new company until Jan-Feb 1983, I'm giving them contracts with both. Partly to help generate a cohesive historical report of the wrestling world during 1983/84, but also because every company has high demands on the number of workers required and I'm keen not to have hundreds of worker moves in the first week of the game.

Remaining Issues

Mexico, Japan and UK dominate the overall game rankings. Best workers, best shows, most money. I'll need to tackle that eventually.

Everything looks great. Thanks!

Are you sure you want to move AWA though? Ive seen other mod makers move AWA to Great Lakes as well and while I can understand it I don't really agree. Their home base is Minneapolis(Mid West) and their territory from that area consisted of Minnesota(Mid West), North Dakota(Mid West), South Dakota(Mid West), Nebraska(Mid West), Wisconsin(Great Lakes), Northern Illinois(Great Lakes) and Colorado(Mid South). Neither area is a perfect fit in TEW terms but more of the AWA territory, including the home base, was in the Mid West.

Keep up the great work!

Everything looks great. Thanks!

Are you sure you want to move AWA though? Ive seen other mod makers move AWA to Great Lakes as well and while I can understand it I don't really agree. Their home base is Minneapolis(Mid West) and their territory from that area consisted of Minnesota(Mid West), North Dakota(Mid West), South Dakota(Mid West), Nebraska(Mid West), Wisconsin(Great Lakes), Northern Illinois(Great Lakes) and Colorado(Mid South). Neither area is a perfect fit in TEW terms but more of the AWA territory, including the home base, was in the Mid West.

Keep up the great work!

I suspect I've written the above in a confusing manner. But the change I've made is:

AWA in now in Mid West (it was previously in Great Lakes) - And it was made for the exact reasons you describe. :)

I updated 100 workers stats last night and then got to work creating TEW-accurate format title histories for MACW titles. An oddly calming data entry job.

I suspect I've written the above in a confusing manner. But the change I've made is:

AWA in now in Mid West (it was previously in Great Lakes) - And it was made for the exact reasons you describe. :)

I updated 100 workers stats last night and then got to work creating TEW-accurate format title histories for MACW titles. An oddly calming data entry job.

Awesome! And sorry it wasn't confusing. I just didnt take the time to read it correctly.

How much work are you putting into the attributes of everyone?

I've extracted the data from the database and have started working my way through to effectively make sure that the stats aren't horribly overblown or to correct things which don't quite add up. Almost every worker will see some change in some of their stats. Obviously with a database of this size, it's a mammoth job, but I'm hopeful.

For the sake of ease I've changed every male wrestlers Sex Appeal to 8/100 and as I work my way through if there are any which are specifically considered 'sexy' at this time then I'll change it. I've also worked on nerfing the Japanese and Mexican workers both in terms of ability and popularity because in the old version CMLL, AJPW and NJPW would dominate the global game within a couple of years and have basically all the top 50 workers in the world. I think whoever worked on those areas before was a bit over the top.

Finally I've reduced broad popularity as I don't think it's realistic to have promotions at this time putting on 85+ rated matches up and down the cards. Generally the big star for each promotion has decent popularity in their region and the rest are there to suppliment them.

If there was anything in particular you think needs looking at, or changed I'm happy to do so though. Open to suggestions to anyone whose played the data a lot.

I've extracted the data from the database and have started working my way through to effectively make sure that the stats aren't horribly overblown or to correct things which don't quite add up. Almost every worker will see some change in some of their stats. Obviously with a database of this size, it's a mammoth job, but I'm hopeful.

For the sake of ease I've changed every male wrestlers Sex Appeal to 8/100 and as I work my way through if there are any which are specifically considered 'sexy' at this time then I'll change it. I've also worked on nerfing the Japanese and Mexican workers both in terms of ability and popularity because in the old version CMLL, AJPW and NJPW would dominate the global game within a couple of years and have basically all the top 50 workers in the world. I think whoever worked on those areas before was a bit over the top.

Finally I've reduced broad popularity as I don't think it's realistic to have promotions at this time putting on 85+ rated matches up and down the cards. Generally the big star for each promotion has decent popularity in their region and the rest are there to suppliment them.

If there was anything in particular you think needs looking at, or changed I'm happy to do so though. Open to suggestions to anyone whose played the data a lot.

When you get something you're ready to share/test, let me know. Also, if there's anything that you think you might need any help with I'd do what I can. I don't have a whole lot of time on my hands, but I'd love to help out!

Hit me up here, or on facebook, whatever works out for you.

When you get something you're ready to share/test, let me know. Also, if there's anything that you think you might need any help with I'd do what I can. I don't have a whole lot of time on my hands, but I'd love to help out!

Hit me up here, or on facebook, whatever works out for you.

Excellent, cheers dude. As soon as I do I'll get it your way.

If you need data for the Maritimes territory in Canada, I can provide some information for Atlantic Grand Prix Wrestling. I have a list of results from their shows going all the way back to the 60s, so it can kind of give you an idea of who the big stars were and whatnot from that era.

I also find a lot of historical mods have far less venues from the Maritimes where various indie companies run until today, and even arenas that WWE runs when they come by (and hopefully AEW eventually).

If you need data for the Maritimes territory in Canada, I can provide some information for Atlantic Grand Prix Wrestling. I have a list of results from their shows going all the way back to the 60s, so it can kind of give you an idea of who the big stars were and whatnot from that era.

I also find a lot of historical mods have far less venues from the Maritimes where various indie companies run until today, and even arenas that WWE runs when they come by (and hopefully AEW eventually).

If it works with you, I’ll send the data once I’m done with the basics and you can have a look and correct anything I’ve got wrong?

Well, i was reading a link that Sabin357 gave out about an outlaw promotion led by Ann Gunkel, widow of a wrestler named Ray Gunkel in the Risky Business mod thread. Quite interesting story.

And i was thinking, if Jim Barnett, who led WCW (Australia) is an user player, should Ann Gunkel be added as well as a user player?

That's my suggestion.

<p><strong>**UPDATE 30/08/21**</strong></p><p> </p><p>

This will be the first of weekly updates to highlight how progress is going.</p><p> </p><p>

Total Workers: 1,187</p><p>

Bios Written: 966/1,187</p><p>

Worker Pictures: 840/1,187</p><p>

Logos (Company, TV, Event): Not complete</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Company Detail</strong></p><p>

Added Polynesian Professional Wrestling</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Titles</strong></p><p>

Plan is to rewrite all title histories to match the format used when playing the game (e.g. Wk 1, January 1983)</p><p>

** MACW Titles Complete**</p><p>

Moved NWA World and NWA World Tag Team to NWA Alliance and away from MACW</p><p> </p><p>

TV/Broadcasters</p><p>

Still tinkering to find the best way to simulate reality within these. Getting better although Georgia Championship Wrestling still become huge within a year.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Tidbits</strong></p><p>

Brought forward the debuts of the Rock n Roll Express and The Road Warriors to help make sure two of the best teams are ready to go at the start.</p><p> </p><p>

Remaining Issues</p><p>

Mexico, Japan and UK dominate the overall game rankings (although I'm getting better with this following some severe nerfing of young stars who are waaaay too over).</p>

NWA World Tag titles should belong to MACW. The Alliance didn't have alliance tag titles until the 90s.

Just read the deal with Ole dropping the titles back after a brief soujourn to GCW. Have reverted them back to MACW ownership. Might bump the Mid-Atlantic tag team titles prestige down to allow the possibility of them being discontinued after a couple of years. I'm also struggling to find a way to recreate Black Saturday. I'm thinking best way might be in the Narratives section, although I've struggled to get them to work consistently (no doubt something I'm doing wrong).

I went looking for DOTT a few weeks back, as I've been reading a bunch of wrestler autobiographies and wrestling history books lately, great to see it's in progress.

Hopefully it lives up to expectations. :)