Road Agent Note: False Finish

False Finishers

Isn't that the "Dusty Finish" note?

No, I am referring to false finishers. Workers with poor psychology for the match would spam finishers dragging the grade down. But workers with good psychology for the match will result in a false finisher that would result in a 2.9 count adding a bonus (excitement) to the match. Basically a light version of a spectacle.

No, I am referring to false finishers. Workers with poor psychology for the match would spam finishers dragging the grade down. But workers with good psychology for the match will result in a false finisher that would result in a 2.9 count adding a bonus (excitement) to the match. Basically a light version of a spectacle.

I like this as a road agent note also. Much like workers appear even and the loser doesnt take as large of a popularity hit in a match ending like this but something like this even a smaller hit as it is basically telling the audience this match is a coinflip.

I like this as a road agent note also. Much like workers appear even and the loser doesnt take as large of a popularity hit in a match ending like this but something like this even a smaller hit as it is basically telling the audience this match is a coinflip.

This is literally “open match” ?

Any match where both guys get equal offense I would assume has a false finish if not multiple

A open match is back and forth. Someone performing a finisher and almost getting a 3 count doesn’t have to be strong in a match or even have equal offense throughout. This note would most likely be something on the level of a stunt or bump to add (or harm) to the match assuming the psychology is there. I can also see this being an attribute for a product. Some products will like false finishers and others will not.

I honestly don't see much point to this as all we know about these matches is the length, the exact finish, and how well it was received. For all we know, these guys are hitting false finishes, we just don't know because we're not given an exact breakdown of everything that happens. Seems like pointless extra code to me.

That said, if this were implemented, I feel like there would have to be a thing that if you do too many too often it negatively impacts the matches. Personally, the burial of finishers/over-abundance of false finishes over the past decade-or-so is my biggest pet peeve in wrestling as if your finishing move doesn't consistently end matches, it's not a finishing move, and it tends to kill the psychology if it's done more than just once every so often in a major match.

I honestly don't see much point to this as all we know about these matches is the length, the exact finish, and how well it was received. For all we know, these guys are hitting false finishes, we just don't know because we're not given an exact breakdown of everything that happens. Seems like pointless extra code to me.

That said, if this were implemented, I feel like there would have to be a thing that if you do too many too often it negatively impacts the matches. Personally, the burial of finishers/over-abundance of false finishes over the past decade-or-so is my biggest pet peeve in wrestling as if your finishing move doesn't consistently end matches, it's not a finishing move, and it tends to kill the psychology if it's done more than just once every so often in a major match.

Same could be said for stunts and bumps.

As for spamming, that wouldn’t be needed because in theory it will harm the match unless the psychology involved in the match was around the grade before bonuses / penalties took effect.

I can see a note saying: “The match was given a bonus due to the suspense of a false finisher” or “The match was given a penalty due to the amount of false finishers” (the match lacked the psychology)

The False Finish is when a wrestler absorbs another wrestlers finishing move, and then manages to escape the pin after the move. The pin fall is always a really really really close count and the kick out is meant to be a shock

Just to nitpick, but a "False Finish" isn't just someone kicking out of someone else's finishing move. It's anything where the psychology of the match would naturally lead to a conclusion (so could be a finisher, could just as easily be a distraction roll-up, or a pin following a ref bump and outside interference) but is instead used to heighten tension.

I just don't think it's something that, realistically, would fall into the remit of the owner/booker in the vast majority of cases. If it works, it's because the wrestlers have a grasp of psychology and of match structure, if it doesn't, it doesn't. I think that's all well covered with the stats and match aims already in the game.

Just to nitpick, but a "False Finish" isn't just someone kicking out of someone else's finishing move. It's anything where the psychology of the match would naturally lead to a conclusion (so could be a finisher, could just as easily be a distraction roll-up, or a pin following a ref bump and outside interference) but is instead used to heighten tension.

I just don't think it's something that, realistically, would fall into the remit of the owner/booker in the vast majority of cases. If it works, it's because the wrestlers have a grasp of psychology and of match structure, if it doesn't, it doesn't. I think that's all well covered with the stats and match aims already in the game.

I have to disagree with that.

This sounds like something that would just be a byproduct of good psychology score. If it could be explained well enough to be its own note, then fine I guess. But I don't know there's reason to add a layer of complication for the sake of it.

This sounds like something that would just be a byproduct of good psychology score. If it could be explained well enough to be its own note, then fine I guess. But I don't know there's reason to add a layer of complication for the sake of it.

Not really. A false finisher isn’t something that is typical and would be considered taboo in wrestling psychology since a finisher is suppose to finish the match. Doing so doesn’t exactly scream great psychology. Laying it out and making it believable is where that psychology come in at. Also the same could be said for a bump, stunt, inferences, etc. all of those spots are made to get a specific reaction from the crowd same as a false finisher would.

Adding 2.9 counts, kicking out of a finisher from a dominant menace doesn’t necessarily require good wrestling psychology. It just helps to make it believable.

However, I would say that this is somewhat available via the Overbooked and All Out note but that also have its limits and all out requires good in ring workers to pull off.