spacer.png

All Japan Women's Pro Wrestling @ Kawasaki Municipal Hall
September 30, 1971 - Kawasaki, Japan
Attendance - 5,000+

spacer.png

UnknownF.jpgspacer.pngVersus 2.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
Maxie Murata & Jumbo Miyamoto defeated Paula Steele & Patty Stevens when Miyamoto pinned Stevens following an overhead suplex.

NWA North American Women's Championship - Two Out of Three Falls

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
Michèle Richard (C) defeated Miyuki Yanagi*, two falls to one.

⦁    First fall - Richard forced Yanagi to submit to an abdominal stretch.
⦁    Second fall - Richard was counted out after Yanagi beat her into the ring to beat the referee's count after brawling outside the ring.
⦁    Third fall - Richard pinned Yanagi following a spinebuster slam.

NWA World Women's Tag Team Championship - Two Out of Three Falls

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngUnknownF.jpg
Renée Martel & Claire Lepage (C) defeated Miyoko Hoshino & Hiroko Onishi, two falls to one.

⦁    First fall - Hoshino pinned Lepage following a springboard elbow off the ropes.
⦁    Second fall - Lepage forced Onishi to submit to a figure-four leglock.
⦁    Third fall - Martel got the submission from Hoshino with the Alligator Clutch.

* Miyuki Yanagi also sometimes wrestled under a mask in AJW as the Masked Killer, billed as a "foreign" heel for her masked appearances when teaming with foreign wrestlers.

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

All Japan Women's Pro Wrestling @ Nippon Budokan
October 3, 1971 - Tokyo, Japan
Attendance - 13,750

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngVersus 2.pngspacer.pngUnknownF.jpg
Paula Steele & Patty Stevens defeated Miyoko Hoshino & Hiroko Onishi when Stevens pinned Hoshino following a fallaway slam.

Michèle Richard (C) defeated Chiyo Obata in two straight falls.

⦁    First fall - Richard pinned Obata with a fisherman suplex.
⦁    Second fall - Richard pinned Obata following a spinebuster slam.

Title vs. title - WWWA vs. NWA - Two Out of Three Falls

UnknownF.jpgspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
Maxie Murata & Jumbo Miyamoto (WWWA World Tag Team Champions) defeated Renée Martel & Claire Lepage (NWA World Women's Tag Team Champions) to retain their WWWA title and win the NWA title, two falls to one.

⦁    First fall - Murata pinned Lepage following a flying clothesline.
⦁    Second fall - Martel forced Murata to submit to the Alligator Clutch.
⦁    Third fall - Miyamoto pinned Martel following an overhead suplex.

WWWA World Championship - Two Out of Three Falls

spacer.pngspacer.pngUnknownF.jpg
Aiko Kyo (C) defeated The Masked Killer, two falls to one.

⦁    First fall - Kyo pinned Killer following a German suplex.
⦁    Second fall - Killer pinned Kyo following a backbreaker.
⦁    Third fall - Kyo pinned Killer following a fireman's carry slam.

Edited by Old School Fan
Correction
  • Like 3

On 3/19/2024 at 4:25 AM, Old School Fan said:

This behind-the-scenes post takes place prior to the August 14 All-Star Wrestling card in Sherbrooke:

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

On a Saturday afternoon, a few days after the Montreal Forum supercard and two days after Renée Martel's release from Montreal General Hospital, she was back at home at her apartment, joined by Michèle Richard and Claire Lepage on a day off from the ring as they were in the middle of watching a Bugs Bunny cartoon on Renée's TV set.  All three girls broke out in fits of laughter as they saw Bugs empty his garbage into a robot from outer space (who had been spying on Bugs before it went to hide among a group of garbage cans to avoid being discovered, only for Bugs to mistake the robot for a new garbage can), followed by the robot emerging from hiding as it coughed the garbage back out after Bugs left*.

"Stupid robot!" Michèle quipped in between laughter.  "That's what it gets for hiding among the garbage cans."

"Sure, but Yosemite Sam sent it out and he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer either," Claire added.  "Hey, you're not having problems with your ribs from all that laughter, are you?" she then asked Renée.

"Only a little, but I'll survive," Renée said with a grin.

"Well, I'm glad you won't be spending any more time out of the ring than that doctor at the hospital recommended," Michèle said.

"Only about two or three weeks," Renée said.  "At least it'll allow me some time to heal up and take it easy, but I can still keep myself toned up with weights over at Johnny's gym."

"You can, as long as you go easy with it at first until the bruises heal," Claire pointed out.

"Yeah, that lousy Paula Kaye," Renée remarked with a hint of resentment.  "No thanks to her, I'll be spending all that time out of the ring, not being able to defend the World Women's Tag Team belts with you, or even being able to practice my moves in the ring."

"Well, Johnny did get in touch with Mildred Burke and told her about what happened to you," Claire said.  "From what I heard, she wasn't pleased about that news and she was going to send off a letter to Moolah about it."

"And I bet I know how Moolah's gonna react to such a letter," Michèle said.  "She's gonna make the usual denials, excuses, justifications, comebacks, retorts and a little bit of condescension - all in the same reply."

"Sounds like Moolah, alright," Renée agreed with a nod.

"Well, if you watch Sur le Matelas tonight at six," Michèle then said, "I've got a comeback of my own for Moolah and for Kaye in an interview - I fire off a few zingers at Moolah and I challenged Kaye to face me in a match in Sherbrooke next Saturday night.  I told Johnny I wanted that match and he set it up for me."

"Hey, that's great!" Renée said with a grin.  "That's going to be the first time you've ever wrestled in your hometown, isn't it?"

"It is," Michèle said.  "In seven years in the ring - going right back to my Margot Bouchard days - I never once set foot in the ring back at home because of me wrestling as a heel.  Me going up against another heel next Saturday, right in my hometown ring - especially when they hear it was one who sent you to the hospital with that shoot attack she and Kitty Adams did on you - ought to be enough to get the fans behind me."

"Sounds great and all, but do you think Kaye's going to take the bait?" Claire wondered.  "After you pounded her in her locker room last Monday, she's probably going to be gunshy about going up against you, especially on your home turf."

"Oh, she will if I offer a shot at my North American belt as the bait," Michèle said with her own grin.  "And if you're worried she might try any funny business against me in the ring to try to steal my belt and run off with it back to Moolah - if she accepts the match - don't worry, I'll be ready for her.  I don't trust Moolah or any of her hired goons any further than I could throw Terrible Ted, so if she does accept the match, I'm gonna be on my guard against her."

"Good call," Renée said.  "Any of Moolah's girls who still pledges loyalty to her and does her bidding, I wouldn't trust either."

"But now with the next couple of weeks or so off, Renée, what're you going to do to keep busy?" Claire then asked.

"Well, now that you mention it," Renée said with a sly grin, "Jean's taking me out on a movie date on Tuesday night - we're going to see Love Story over at Westmount Square."

"Ahh, nice," Claire said with a grin, while Michèle went "Ooooohh!" with her eyebrows raised before breaking out in a fresh round of laughter.

"Okay, what's the joke?" Renée said to Michèle with a smirk.

"You and Jean gonna sit in the back row and smooch all during the movie?" a grinning Michèle said in a playful tease.

"No, of course not...  Well, only during the dull parts of the movie," Renée admitted with a coy grin, making Michèle laugh again.

Just then, the buzzer on Renée's apartment intercom began buzzing and she went to answer it.  "Hello?" she said as she pushed her intercom's talk button.

"It's Vivian," the voice of Vivian Vachon came over the intercom in reply.  "Just came by to see how you're doing."

"Okay, come on up," Renée said before buzzing Vivian in and opening the front door for her.  About a minute later, Vivian arrived and stepped through the front door.

"Hey, Renée, good to see you," Vivian said with a smile as she greeted Renée with a hug, taking care not to accidentally hurt her because of Renée's bruises on her left side still being tender.  "And good to see you're doing a little better too after you got out of the hospital."

"Yeah, the next couple of weeks I got off from the doctor should do me some good," Renée said as Vivian took her shoes off at the front door.  "So, what brings you by?"

"I got some news I wanted to tell you about, and it's better to tell you in person rather than over the phone," Vivian said.  "You probably know by now that I joined Moolah's group a few months ago as part of a deal my brothers made to get Moolah's girls to come wrestle for them, right?"

"Yep, we heard," Renée said with a nod.

"We weren't happy about it because it was a proverbial 'deal with the devil', but it was your choice," Michèle added, "even though it meant losing you from the AGWA because of Moolah refusing to allow her girls to appear there."

"You'd be right about that 'deal with the devil' part of it, Michèle," agreed Vivian, who then went on to tell the girls about the phone call she had made to Moolah the day after Vivian visited Renée in the hospital, including how the call ended.

"Wow, so you really up and quit on Moolah?" a surprised Claire said.  "I bet she wasn't happy about that at all because of the paydays she loses out on with the loss of her deal with your brothers."

"And that's just part of why I quit," Vivian said.  "While I was training down at Moolah's gym in South Carolina, I found out a few other interesting things about how Moolah runs her compound and what she's been doing down there..."

Before Vivian could continue, however, Renée's phone began ringing, prompting Renée to get up and answer it.  "Hello?  Ah, hi Johnny," she said as she heard Johnny Rougeau at the other end.  "Yeah, I'm feeling a bit better since I got out of the hospital two days ago, but the bruises on my left side are still a bit sore and tender.  Yep, Claire's here too, she's been staying with me to help out while I'm on the mend.  The doctor recommended I stay out of the ring for the next two weeks to allow the bruises to heal."  She then paused as she listened to Johnny at the other end for a moment.  "Really?" she continued, surprised by a bit of news she got from Johnny.  "Oh, that's awesome!  I should be healed up by then, so we can be there by then for sure.  Okay Johnny, talk to you later."

"So what did Johnny say?" Claire then asked.  "Must be big news for you to get excited about."

"It is," Renée said with a grin.  "Mildred wants me, you and Michèle down in Los Angeles starting on the week of the 27th - and Mike LeBell's involved for that date**..."

* Here's the specific scene from the cartoon which the girls were laughing about:

** That specific event will be detailed in an upcoming event post (and it'll be evident which event that is based on the date and location mentioned)...

Moolah's girls actually seem like Moolah's goons!

I love old school wrestling. But it sure was a much nastier business back then. I miss it!🙃

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

All Japan Women's Pro Wrestling @ Toyama Prefectural Gymnasium
October 13, 1971* - Toyama, Japan
Attendance - 4,920

spacer.png

spacer.pngVersus 2.pngspacer.png
Chiyo Obata defeated Claire Lepage by submission with a Boston crab.

Michèle Richard (C) defeated Miyoko Hoshino, two falls to one.

⦁    First fall - Richard pinned Hoshino following an elbow drop.
⦁    Second fall - Richard was counted out when Hoshino beat her into the ring to beat the referee's count as the two wrestlers were brawling outside the ring.
⦁    Third fall - Richard pinned Hoshino following a spinebuster slam.

NWA World Women's Tag Team Championship- Two Out of Three Falls

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngUnknownF.jpgspacer.png
Paula Steele & Patty Stevens defeated Maxie Murata & Jumbo Miyamoto (C) to win the title, two falls to one.

⦁    First fall - Stevens pinned Murata following a powerbomb.
⦁    Second fall - Miyamoto pinned Stevens following an overhead suplex.
⦁    Third fall - Steele powerslammed and pinned Murata.

WWWA World Championship - Two Out of Three Falls

Aiko Kyo (C) defeated Renée Martel, two falls to one, in what was deemed by the fans in attendance to be the match of the night due to the stellar performance put on by both wrestlers as they put on a clinic of scientific moves and hard hits.

⦁    First fall - Kyo pinned Martel following a German suplex.
⦁    Second fall - Martel pinned Kyo following a flying forearm smash off the ropes.
⦁    Third fall - Kyo pinned Martel following a fireman's carry slam.

* This was the last event for Mildred Burke's AGWA contingent on this tour before their return to the United States, starting with a stop in Hawaii.

Edited by Old School Fan

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

50th State Big Time Wrestling @ Honolulu International Center
October 24, 1971 - Honolulu, Hawaii
Attendance - 8,570

spacer.png

Two Out of Three Falls

spacer.pngspacer.pngVersus 2.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
Duncan McTavish & Hahn Lee defeated Fidel Castillo & Masa Fujiwara*, two falls to one, when McTavish pinned Castillo in the third fall.

Jimmy Snuka and The Destroyer fought to a double countout.

Ed Francis defeated Sweet Daddy Siki by disqualification when Siki threw Francis over the top rope.

Peter Maivia went to a time-limit draw with Gene Kiniski.

NWA North American Women's Championship

Ann Calvello defeated Michèle Richard (C) by disqualification when Richard whipped Calvello into the referee (Richard retained her title due to the DQ).

NWA World Women's Tag Team Title- Two Out of Three Falls

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
Renée Martel & Claire Lepage defeated Paula Steele & Patty Stevens (C), two falls to one.

⦁    First fall - Steele pinned Lepage following a powerslam.
⦁    Second fall - Steele was disqualified for refusing to stop assaulting Martel against the ropes after being warned by the referee.
⦁    Third fall - Martel forced Stevens to submit to the Alligator Clutch; although Martel and Lepage won the match, because they won the second fall via DQ, the title does not change hands due to the NWA's disqualification rule, enabling Steele and Stevens to escape the match still as the champions.

NWA North American Heavyweight Championship (Hawaii)

Sam Steamboat (C) fought Moondog Mayne to a time-limit draw.

* AKA Mr. Fuji.

Edited by Old School Fan
Belt image added
  • Like 3

spacer.png

AGWA TV taping @ Anaheim Convention Center Arena
October 26, 1971 - Anaheim, California
Attendance - 7,950

spacer.png

Aired the weekend of October 30, 1971 on AGWA Women's Pro Wrestling:

Dark match

Margo Vincent defeated Shae Driscoll by pinfall following a slingshot suplex.

Evelyn Stevens defeated Dixie Grant by pinfall following a running knee smash.

Handicap match

spacer.pngVersus 2.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
"Avalanche" Patti Cavin defeated Sandra Hale & Laurie Reid when Cavin crushed both girls in the corner with an avalanche splash and pinned them both simultaneously.

Marie Laverne defeated Yolanda Ruiz by pinfall following a bulldog.

AGWA Interstate Championship

Jane O'Brien (C) defeated Marie Vagnone by pinfall following a powerslam.

NWA United States Women's Tag Team Championship

Ethel Johnson & Marva Scott (C) defeated Beverly "The Hammer" Shade & Natasha* in the TV main event when Johnson used a fireman's carry slam on Natasha to get the pin while Scott ran in to keep Shade from interfering with the pin attempt.

Aired the weekend of November 6, 1971 on AGWA Women's Pro Wrestling:

Dark match

Texas Red defeated Carly Hannigan** by pinfall following a bulldog.

Tanya West defeated Gwen Miller by pinfall following a backbreaker.

Jane Sherill & Patty O'Hara defeated Peggy Allen & Elaine Kay*** when O'Hara pinned Kay following a clothesline to the back of the head.  During a ringside interview with Dick Lane following the match, Sherill and O'Hara made note of Paula Steele and Patty Stevens winning the NWA World Women's Tag Team Championship while on tour in Japan, then went on to say that if former champions Renée Martel and Claire Lepage did not get the belts back from Steele and Stevens tonight, they would be next in line to get a shot at the belts.

Earlene Brown defeated Ella Waldek by pinfall following a big splash.

AGWA Television Championship

Vicki Steppe (C) defeated Cuddles Anderson by pinfall with a schoolgirl rollup (aided with a handful of Anderson's tights for illegal leverage).

NWA World Women's Tag Team Championship - Two Out of Three Falls

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
Renée Martel & Claire Lepage, looking to regain the title they lost while on tour in Japan, defeated Paula Steele & Patty Stevens (C) (with "The Queen" Mae Young), two falls to one, in the TV main event (joined in progress during the second fall) when Steele was disqualified in the third fall for running in and attacking the referee by kneeing him in the stomach and throwing him out of the ring as Martel had Stevens caught in the Alligator Clutch (Steele & Stevens retained their belts due to the DQ, while Steele got fined $200 for her attack on the ref).  Post-match, Steele went on the attack against Martel while Young dealt with Lepage until Jane Sherill and Patty O'Hara ran in for the save and chased the Queen's Court members from the ring.

Post-taping dark match

Michèle Richard (C) (with Mae Young) vs. Ann Casey ended without a decision when the referee stopped the match after Casey suffered a dislocated kneecap when she hyperextended her knee upon landing on the mat while attempting a top-rope axhandle on Richard; as a result of the injury, Casey would be sidelined for several weeks to allow the injured knee to heel while undergoing physiotherapy.

* AKA Natasha the Hatchet Lady.

** This wrestler was created for this diary.

*** While Elaine Kay was an actual wrestler IRL, I couldn't find any info for her online other than that she was a trainee of Mildred Burke's (as noted on Mildred's WrestlingData.com page).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

After returning to Montreal and paying a visit to the hair salon at Morgan's Department Store to update their hairstyles, Renée Martel and Claire Lepage get back into the groove with All-Star Wrestling with their first match back there since August:

spacer.png

All-Star Wrestling @ Paul Sauvé Arena
November 1, 1971 - Montreal, Quebec

spacer.png

Unknown.jpgVersus 2.pngUnknown.jpg
Thunderbolt Cannon defeated Pepe Villa by pinfall.

Unknown.jpgVersus 2.pngspacer.png
Lionel Robert defeated Don Serrano by disqualification.

spacer.pngspacer.pngVersus 2.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
Abdullah the Butcher & Del Skinner defeated Jos & Paul LeDuc by disqualification.

Six-woman elimination match

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngVersus 2.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
Renée Martel, Claire Lepage & France Gall defeated Michèle Richard, Beverly "The Hammer" Shade & Natasha.

⦁    First fall - Richard pinned Gall following a spinebuster slam.
⦁    Second fall - Lepage and Shade were both counted out while fighting outside the ring.
⦁    Third fall - Martel pinned Natasha following a belly-to-belly suplex.
⦁    Fourth fall - Martel pinned Richard with a crucifix cradle.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngVersus 2.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
Jacques Rougeau, Gino Brito & Carlos Rocha fought Mr. X, Michel "Le Justice" Dubois & Dutch Momberg (with Eddie "The Brain" Creatchman") to a no-contest when both teams were disqualified for all six wrestlers fighting in the ring at once.

ASW Canadian Heavyweight Championship

Marcel Martel (C) defeated Del Skinner (wrestling a second time that night) by disqualification when Abdullah the Butcher ran in and attacked Marcel while he had Skinner locked in the figure-four leglock; Abdullah and Skinner proceeded to double-team and brutalize Marcel post-match, with Abdullah attacking several referees (as well as wrestlers Pepe Villa, Lionel Robert and Carlos Rocha) who tried to intervene, until Jacques Rougeau, Gino Brito and the LeDucs finally stormed in to run off Abdullah and Skinner, who had left Marcel a bloody mess and with potential injuries.

Edited by Old School Fan
Replaced image
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

The newest edition of All-Star Wrestling's arena program is now out, covering the fallout from the Marcel Martel-Del Skinner Canadian title main event on November 1:

spacer.png

And on Page Two, an announcement of a tour for the ASW women's division - plus, Renée Martel gets some welcome news:

spacer.png

Edited by Old School Fan
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

And Johnny Rougeau's Women of Wrestling Tour begins...

spacer.png

All-Star Wrestling @ Centre Civique de Drummondville
November 10, 1971 - Drummondville, Quebec
Attendance - 5,000+

spacer.png

Sabrina Lafleur fought Annette Dupuis to a time-limit draw.

Miss X defeated Suzanne Dussault by pinfall following a piledriver.

Ann Calvello defeated Marianne Duchesne by pinfall following a leg lariat.

Michèle Richard (C) defeated France Gall by pinfall following a spinebuster slam.

NWA United States Women's Tag Team Championship - Two Out of Three Falls

Renée Martel & Claire Lepage defeated Beverly "The Hammer" Shade & Natasha* (C), two falls to one.

⦁    First fall - Shade pinned Lepage following a top-rope axhandle.
⦁    Second fall - Martel pinned Natasha following a flying forearm smash off the ropes.
⦁    Third fall - Shade was disqualified for throwing Martel over the top rope (Shade and Natasha retained their belts due to the DQ).

* Beverly Shade & Natasha defeated Ethel Johnson & Marva Scott to win the NWA United States Women's Tag Team title at an AGWA event on October 29, 1971 in Tucson, Arizona.

Edited by Old School Fan
Replaced image
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

All-Star Wrestling @ Colisée de Rimouski*
November 15, 1971 - Rimouski, Quebec
Attendance - 5,200+

spacer.png

Suzanne Dussault defeated Annette Dupuis by pinfall following a clothesline.

Miss X defeated Sabrina Lafleur by pinfall following a piledriver.

Claire Lepage defeated Tanya West by pinfall following a flying bodypress.

spacer.pngVersus 2.pngUnknownF.jpg
Ann Calvello defeated Black Widow by pinfall following a leg lariat.

Julie Painchaud (who stepped out of retirement a short time earlier to warm up for the Women of Wrestling Tour by taking a few matches in ASW prior to the tour's beginning) & France Gall defeated Beverly "The Hammer" Shade & Natasha (C), two falls to one.

⦁    First fall - Shade pinned Gall following a top-rope axhandle.
⦁    Second fall - Painchaud pinned Natasha following a suplex slam.
⦁    Third fall - Shade was disqualified for whipping Painchaud into the referee (Shade and Natasha retained their belts due to the DQ).

Renée Martel defeated Michèle Richard (C) by disqualification when Richard slugged the referee as he tried to stop her from choking Martel against the ropes (Richard retained her title due to the DQ).

* The Colisée de Rimouski, which opened in 1966, was expanded and renovated around 2008 with the addition of a new expanded lobby section and arena offices and is now known as the Colisée Financière Sun Life.

Edited by Old School Fan
Replaced image
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Old School Fan said:

spacer.png

All-Star Wrestling @ Colisée de Rimouski*
November 15, 1971 - Rimouski, Quebec
Attendance - 5,200+

spacer.png

Suzanne Dussault defeated Annette Dupuis by pinfall following a clothesline.

Miss X defeated Sabrina Lafleur by pinfall following a piledriver.

Claire Lepage defeated Tanya West by pinfall following a flying bodypress.

Ann Calvello defeated Black Widow by pinfall following a leg lariat.

Julie Painchaud (who stepped out of retirement a short time earlier to warm up for the Women of Wrestling Tour by taking a few matches in ASW prior to the tour's beginning) & France Gall defeated Beverly "The Hammer" Shade & Natasha (C), two falls to one.

⦁    Second fall - Painchaud pinned Natasha following a suplex slam.
⦁    Third fall - Shade was disqualified for whipping Painchaud into the referee (Shade and Natasha retained their belts due to the DQ).

Renée Martel defeated Michèle Richard (C) by disqualification when Richard slugged the referee as he tried to stop her from choking Martel against the ropes (Richard retained her title due to the DQ).

* The Colisée de Rimouski, which opened in 1966, was expanded and renovated around 2008 with the addition of a new expanded lobby section and arena offices and is now known as the Colisée Financière Sun Life.

Nice to see Renee' fighting fire with fire in the ring.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

All-Star Wrestling @ Pavillon de la Jeunesse
November 20, 1971 - Quebec City, Quebec
Attendance - 5,935

spacer.png

Tanya West defeated Suzanne Dussault by pinfall following a backbreaker.

Sabrina Lafleur battled Black Widow to a time-limit draw.

Claire Lepage defeated Miss X by pinfall following a flying bodypress.

Julie Painchaud defeated Annette Dupuis by pinfall following a suplex slam.

Ann Calvello & France Gall defeated Beverly "The Hammer" Shade & Natasha (C), two falls to one.

⦁    Second fall - Calvello pinned Natasha following a piledriver.
⦁    Third fall - Shade and Natasha were counted out when they called it an early night and took the belts with them back to the locker room area when they found Calvello to be too much to handle (Shade and Natasha retained their belts due to the countout).

Renée Martel defeated Michèle Richard (C) by disqualification when Richard threw Martel over the top rope (Richard retained her title due to the DQ).  Post-match, Richard ran out to ringside to throw Martel back into the ring to commence beating on her, but when Martel turned the tables and started giving it back to Richard, Beverly Shade and Natasha ran in on Richard's behalf to turn it into a three-on-one against Renée until Ann Calvello, Claire Lepage and France Gall ran in for the save for Renée and chased the heels off.

Edited by Old School Fan
Replaced image
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

All-Star Wrestling @ Colisée de Trois-Rivières
November 22, 1971 - Trois-Rivières, Quebec
Attendance - 4,000+

spacer.png

Suzanne Dussault defeated Black Widow by pinfall following a clothesline.

Tanya West defeated Sabrina Lafleur by pinfall following a backbreaker.

France Gall defeated Miss X by submission with a cross-armbar.

Ann Calvello defeated Annette Dupuis by pinfall following a leg lariat.

Renée Martel & Claire Lepage defeated Beverly "The Hammer" Shade & Natasha (C), two falls to one, when Shade and Natasha were counted out in the third fall after grabbing their belts and taking a powder back to the locker room area when Martel and Lepage surged back from behind and put the champions on the defensive with their scientific repertoires, capped with Renée and Claire double-dropkicking Shade and Natasha out to ringside (Shade and Natasha retained their belts due to the countout).

Hometown heroine Julie Painchaud defeated Michèle Richard (C) by disqualification when Beverly Shade and Natasha ran in on Richard's behalf to attack Painchaud as she had Richard caught in a Boston crab (Richard retained her title due to the DQ); Richard, Shade and Natasha then went on a three-on-one gangup against Painchaud until Ann Calvello, Renée Martel and Claire Lepage ran in for the save for Julie and cleared the heel trio out.

Edited by Old School Fan
Replaced image
  • Like 2

Oof, all those DQ finishes are among the reasons why i could never really stomach an old school wrestling show...as much as i find looking into the sport's past fascinating, i am definitely prefer japanese/modern stuff a lot more. (Well, not Modern modern, but modern in the sense that the 90s and 2000s is vastly different from the 60s or 70s)

Edited by kinnikuniverse
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

All-Star Wrestling @ Palais des Sports
November 27, 1971 - Sherbrooke, Quebec
Attendance - 5,870

spacer.png

Marianne Duchesne put Sabrina Lafleur down for the three-count following a leg lariat.

Ann Calvello & France Gall defeated Miss X & Black Widow when Calvello pinned Black Widow following a piledriver.

Julie Painchaud used a suplex slam to pin and defeat Annette Dupuis.

Renée Martel & Claire Lepage defeated Beverly "The Hammer" Shade & Natasha (C) in two straight falls.

• First fall - Martel pinned Natasha following a belly-to-belly suplex.
  • Second fall - Shade was disqualified when she used a foreign object to hit Lepage, who had Natasha tied up in a figure-four leglock (Shade and Natasha retained their belts due to the DQ).

Michèle Richard (C), now becoming the hometown heroine upon her return to Sherbrooke, came to the ring to defend her title as she did battle with Tanya West while the near-capacity crowd voiced their support for Richard.  It wasn’t an easy match for the North American Champion, though, as she had to contend with West’s treachery and repeated use of a foreign object during the bout.  Richard showed herself to be a game brawler and very much the daughter of her father, retired Quebec wrestling legend Ti-Blanc Richard, as she turned many of West’s illegal moves to her own advantages.  Finally, Richard dealt West a pair of atomic drops - the second of which sent her out of the ring, and, to the roar of the supportive hometown crowd, Michèle got the win as West was counted out.

Even though the match ended, however, the action did not; as Richard was handed her North American title belt by the referee and got her hand raised in victory to the fans' cheers, Miss X, who had been a tag team partner of Richard's in the past as co-holders of the Canadian Women's Tag Team title, ran into the ring and blindsided Richard from behind with a forearm smash between the shoulder blades.  West then got back in the ring and joined the masked Miss X in going on the attack against Richard by tying her up in the ropes and double-teaming her, but the rulebreaking tandem's fun got ended moments later when Renée Martel and Claire Lepage - both, ironically, enemies of Richard - ran in from the back and jumped West and X to the delight of the fans, battering each of the heels into opposite corners before Martel and Lepage whipped West and X into each other, knocking them down and sending them scrambling from the ring as the fans cheered.  Martel and Lepage then argued for a moment with West and X as the latter duo retreated to the locker rooms before Renée and Claire went to help the referee free Richard's arms from the ropes, but when she got freed, Richard - far from being grateful for the help - told her rescuers to mind their own business, telling them point-blank that she could fight her own battles and didn't need their help, before she took her North American title belt and left the ring to return backstage, leaving a puzzled Martel and Lepage in the ring.

Edited by Old School Fan
Replaced image
  • Like 1

Here comes the new poster for the upcoming November 29 Montreal Forum supercard, taking place two days after the finish of the ASW Women of Wrestling tour:

spacer.png

Time once again for the predictions:  😁

Lionel Robert & Raymond Rougeau vs. Juan Lopez & Eddie Auger

Canadian Women's Championship
Michèle Richard (C) vs. Renée Martel

ASW World Tag Team Championship
Jos LeDuc & Antonio Baillargeon (C) vs. The Fabulous Kangaroos

Jacques Rougeau vs. Michel "Le Justice" Dubois

ASW World Heavyweight Championship
Abdullah the Butcher (C) vs. Carlos Rocha

Plus - who will win the ASW Canadian Heavyweight Title Tournament?
Dino Bravo • Dutch Momberg • Tony Parisi • Del Skinner • Gino Brito • Brute Martin • Dominic DeNucci • Mr. X

Funny thing about Dino Bravo: he was a big Montreal Canadiens fans, and he had legit beef with Quebec Nordiques coach Michel Bergeron. In one game, Bravo walked behind the Nordiques bench and the two were gonna go at it. They were separated by the players and the coaching staff!

Anyways:

Abdullah

Jacques Rougeau Sr. Gotta set up the big bloodbath against Abdullah for next year.

Leduc and Baillargeon. I'm surprised Paul isn't his tag team partner here.

Renée. To end the year on a high.

Robert and Raymond. Good ol' wrestling nepotism.

Who will win the ASW Canadian title tournament? Gino Brito.

• Like 1

Nobody ever stays retired in pro wrestling! And all the DQ finishes were necessary when you're running weekly shows all over your territory and TV sometimes ended up out-of-sync. It let you draw out money-making feuds and gave the rotating band of heels longevity in the territory before they needed to move on. And you could have those no-DQ Texas Death Matches or Cage Matches to finish off the feud where the story had been that the dastardly heel always kept cheating and taking the easy way out, but now, they couldn't. It's definitely different now with TV being everything (I honest-to-God have no earthly idea why anyone goes to a WWE house show. It's paying to watch a Broadway show do tech rehearsals, except they're not televised regularly.).

• Like 1

Time once again for the predictions:  😁

Dino Bravo • Dutch Momberg • Tony Parisi • Del Skinner • Gino Brito • Brute Martin • Dominic DeNucci • Mr. X

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kinnikuniverse said:

Funny thing about Dino Bravo: he was a big Montreal Canadiens fans, and he had legit beef with Quebec Nordiques coach Michel Bergeron. In one game, Bravo walked behind the Nordiques bench and the two were gonna go at it. They were separated by the players and the coaching staff!

Michele Bergeron. Now there's  a blast from the past. I remembered when he coached Quebec.

Speaking of hockey... the Coyotes are headed to Salt Lake City. 😞 Hate to see teams move.

You remember my fave player Marcel Dionne?

• Like 1

While awaiting any further predictions for the upcoming Montreal Forum supercard, here's a YouTube clip of a commercial for Superstars of Wrestling that aired in 1980 on Windsor CBC station CBET:

And here's the song featured in the background of this ad, which was used as the theme for Superstars of Wrestling during its run (including later on when Superstars served as the English-language program for Lutte Internationale):

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

All-Star Wrestling @ Montreal Forum
November 29, 1971 - Montreal, Quebec
Attendance - 16,557

spacer.png

Unknown.jpgspacer.pngVersus 2.pngUnknown.jpgspacer.png
Lionel Robert & Raymond Rougeau went to a time-limit draw with Juan Lopez & Eddie Auger.

ASW Canadian Heavyweight Title Tournament - Quarterfinals

Dino Bravo used an airplane spin to take down and defeat Dutch Momberg by pinfall.

spacer.pngspacer.pngVersus 2.pngspacer.png
Mr. X (with Eddie "The Brain" Creatchman) defeated Dominic DeNucci by pinfall following a powerslam.

Gino Brito defeated Brute Martin by countout when Martin did not get back in the ring in time to beat the referee's count after getting dropkicked out to ringside by Brito.

Del Skinner defeated Tony Parisi by pinfall.

Renée Martel, who had lost the title to Michèle Richard (C) back in March by controversial means, sought to get revenge and get back the belt over eight months after the loss.  Martel attempted to apply her wrestling knowledge to the match, but she found herself on the defensive after a few minutes as Richard took advantage with a series of illegal closed fists.  Martel retaliated with a number of right hands to Richard’s jaw that dazed Michèle enough for a cover attempt and a two-count.  Martel then climbed to the top rope to attempt a flying press, but the crafty Richard moved out of the way.  Martel fell to the canvas, where she remained while Richard pinned her down and rained more fists down on her.  An infuriated Martel rolled over onto her opponent and pounded her with both hands.  Richard soon regained control and threw Martel out of the ring, then sought to keep her out several times to try to cause a countout loss.  Renée eventually came back in more infuriated than before.  Richard ran straight at Martel, who surprised her by dodging the charge and allowing her to run smack into the turnbuckles, then pounced on the downed Richard and locked on the Alligator Clutch.  Richard held on as long as she could, but ultimately could stand no more and submitted, giving Martel the victory and making her a six-time Canadian Women's Champion as the fans went wild with celebratory cheers while Renée was presented with what turned out to be a brand-new Canadian Women's Championship belt*.

ASW Canadian Heavyweight Title Tournament - Semifinals

spacer.pngspacer.pngVersus 2.pngspacer.png
Mr. X (with Eddie Creatchman) defeated Dino Bravo by pinfall - but how X got the pin was mired in controversy; Bravo was dominating late in the match and had X up in the air for a gorilla-press slam, but Bravo made the mistake of being too close to the ropes, allowing Creatchman to reach in and trip Bravo up, then as X fell on top of his foe, Creatchman held onto Bravo's feet from outside the ring to prevent him from kicking out, getting X the tainted win and moving him on to the final to face the winner of the other tourney semifinal coming up.

ASW Canadian Heavyweight Title Tournament - Semifinals

Gino Brito defeated Del Skinner by submission with a figure-four leglock.

Jos LeDuc & Antonio Baillargeon (C) defeated The Fabulous Kangaroos (Al Costello & Don Kent) when LeDuc pinned Costello following a backbreaker.

ASW Canadian Heavyweight Title Tournament - Final

Gino Brito defeated Mr. X (with Eddie Creactchman) to become the new Canadian Heavyweight Champion when X submitted to Brito's figure-four leglock; Creatchman had attempted to interfere late in the match, but Dino Bravo, seeking revenge for his earlier pinfall loss against X due to Creatchman's meddling, showed up and chased the heel manager back to the locker room area, enabling Brito to get the win and capture the vacant title without worrying about Creatchman stealing the win for his client.

spacer.pngVersus 2.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
Jacques Rougeau defeated Michel "Le Justice" Dubois (with Eddie Creatchman) by disqualification when Mr. X ran in and attacked Jacques as he had DuBois caught in a sleeperhold; X and Dubois proceeded to double-team on Jacques until Gino Brito came in and helped Rougeau fight off the heels and run them out.

Abdullah the Butcher (C) came away the winner and still champion in a bloody brawl as he defeated Carlos Rocha by disqualification when Rocha elbowed the referee aside as the latter tried in vain to break up the out-of-control brawl between the two.

Prediction results: (Thanks to all who made their predictions for this card)

@kinnikuniverse - 5/6

@Herrbear - 4/6

@Lord Byron - 4/6

@Captain Kremmen - 4/6

All-time prediction results:

Lord Byron - 141/208

The Blonde Bomber - 119/160

Herrbear - 82/113

Captain Krennem - 78/126

kinnikuniverse - 14/16

Hitman74 - 10/12

Theheel - 7/10

StanMiguel - 7/10

Dalton - 6/6

DexterXSR - 5/7

auto45 - 5/6

Sco_xY2Jx - 2/6

* Renée Martel's new Canadian Women's title belt has just been posted at the TEW 2020 Mods board, and will make its first appearance in this diary in the next little while.

Edited by Old School Fan
Update
  • Like 5

On 4/13/2024 at 6:24 PM, Herrbear said:

Good to see you back, HB! 😀

• Like 1