November 1965

After the latest bout between Renée Martel and Georgia Hase that saw Renée get the win on a disqualification thanks to the interference of Margot Bouchard, Renée made an interview appearance on the November 13 edition of Superstars of the Mat to speak about that match and what she intends to do in response:

spacer.pngspacer.png

INTERVIEWER: My next interview guest at this time is one of the up-and-coming stars of the women's division in All-Star Wrestling and is also becoming one of the more popular competitors in the promotion as well, Renée Martel. Renée, you've been having your share of problems lately with someone you've met in the ring a few times recently, Georgia Hase.

RENÉE MARTEL: Yeah, saying I've had my share of problems with Hase lately would be understating it a little - but you're right, she's been giving me problems left, right and center since she first came up to Montreal. Not only that, she's got Margot Bouchard helping her out and everyone knows I've had my own issues with Bouchard over time.

INTERVIEWER: That also includes what happened last week in your rematch against Hase at the Paul Sauvé Arena, when Bouchard ran in and attacked you when you had Hase ready to submit to your Alligator Clutch hold - a hold made famous by one of your mentors, Mildred Burke, by the way.

MARTEL: That's right, Mildred Burke, the same woman who held the World Women's title for almost 18 years, taught me that hold and it's come in handy for some of my wins. I had that hold on Hase and I had her ready to submit when Bouchard ran in and attacked me, then they double-teamed on me after that and tried to lay me out - emphasis on tried, because they didn't succeed.

INTERVIEWER: So in light of that, what do you plan to do next?

MARTEL: If Georgia Hase can try to get help to tilt the playing field to favor her, then I can play that game to help even the odds - that's why I got a tape recently that's in the control room, ready to play.

INTERVIEWER: Okay, then let's go to the tape. (The scene then cuts to a pre-taped interview featuring Judy Arnold*, a rival of Georgia Hase's)

spacer.png

JUDY ARNOLD: Georgia Hase - nothing's really changed with you, has it? (Scoffs as she shakes her head) Everywhere you go to wrestle, you always try to throw your weight around and bully the up-and-comers to prove to everyone what a big woman you claim to be, even threatening to rub their faces in mud puddles. I've had to chase you around from one side of the United States to the other to put you in your place, but you never seem to learn your lesson - and now, I have to follow you up to Canada to go after you there for pulling the same tricks you pull here. One of the girl wrestlers up in Canada, Renée Martel, got in touch with me and told me what you've been up to up that way. Now, Renée knows how to look after herself in the ring - she even told me that much and I've seen proof of it - but I had the chance to see one of her TV matches against you and I saw you couldn't get the win over Renée without resorting to have someone run in to help you out. Well, if you want to pull two-on-ones on an opponent to get the upper hand, you're going to have me to deal with again because I'm coming up to Montreal to give Renée a hand. It doesn't matter where we meet either - Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax, Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver - when the odds get evened, you don't have a prayer. (Pointing at the camera) I'll see you in Montreal, Georgia, you just better be ready to see me. (The scene then returns to Renée and the interviewer in the studio)

INTERVIEWER: So that's your big surprise for Georgia Hase?

MARTEL: That's right, I've got Judy Arnold, one of the big stars in women's wrestling, coming to Montreal to help out. She knows Hase very well as an opponent and she knows what dirty tricks Hase will try, so if Hase and Margot Bouchard think they got the upper hand on me, they better guess again because the playing field just got evened.

INTERVIEWER: And those four ladies - Judy Arnold and Renée Martel vs. Georgia Hase and Margot Bouchard - will face off in tag team action next Thursday night at the Forum as part of an action-packed card, so go out and get your tickets at the Forum box office and the usual outlets!

* IRL, Judy Arnold is a retired roller derby skater who was active in that sport from 1960 until 1975, when she retired at the peak of her skating career to go into the ministry. ITTL, she became a wrestler and has feuded on-and-off with Georgia Hase for some time.

Edited by Old School Fan
Manually reformatted to include pictures due to inexplicable improper auto-reformatting

The poster from the November 18 card at the Montreal Forum is shown below:

spacer.png

Now for the predictions, featuring the full event lineup below:

Gino Brito vs. Ron Garvin

Marcel Martel vs. Sweet Daddy Siki

Ti-Blanc Richard vs. Joe Christie

Judy Arnold & Renée Martel vs. Georgia Hase & Margot Bouchard

Édouard Carpentier vs. Killer Kowalski

ASW World Tag Team Championship

The Mighty Yankees © vs. Larry Moquin & Tony Parisi

WWWF World Heavyweight Championship

Bruno Sammartino © vs. Bulldog Brower

ASW World Heavyweight Championship

Hans Schmidt © vs. Johnny Rougeau

Edited by Old School Fan
Manually reformatted to include picture due to inexplicable improper auto-reformatting

Gino Brito vs. Ron Garvin

Marcel Martel vs. Sweet Daddy Siki

Ti-Blanc Richard vs. Joe Christie

Judy Arnold & Renée Martel vs. Georgia Hase & Margot Bouchard

Édouard Carpentier vs. Killer Kowalski

The Mighty Yankees © vs. Larry Moquin & Tony Parisi

Bruno Sammartino © vs. Bulldog Brower

Hans Schmidt © vs. Johnny Rougeau

All-Star Wrestling @ Montreal Forum

November 18, 1965 - Montreal, Quebec

Attendance - 15,500

spacer.png

spacer.pngVersus 2.pngspacer.png

Ron Garvin defeated Gino Brito by submission via the figure-four leglock.

Marcel Martel went to a time-limit draw with Sweet Daddy Siki.

Ti-Blanc Richard defeated Joe Christie when Christie was disqualified for hitting the referee while attempting to escape from Richard's bearhug.

spacer.pngspacer.pngVersus 2.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Judy Arnold & Renée Martel defeated Georgia Hase & Margot Bouchard when Renée pinned Hase following a flying forearm shot off the ropes while Arnold ran in to prevent Bouchard from interfering with the pin.

Édouard Carpentier defeated Killer Kowalski when Kowalski was disqualified for throwing Carpentier over the top rope.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

The Mighty Yankees © defeated Larry Moquin & Tony Parisi when Yankee I pinned Parisi.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Bruno Sammartino © defeated Bulldog Brower by pinfall following a powerslam.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Johnny Rougeau defeated Hans Schmidt © by pinfall following a cross bodyblock to win the title.

Prediction results:

Herrbear - 6/8

All-time prediction results:

Herrbear - 11/15

Theheel - 3/4

Edited by Old School Fan
Manually reformatted to include pictures due to inexplicable improper auto-reformatting

Backstage at the Montreal Forum, Marcel and Renée Martel were chatting with Bruno Sammartino in what was Renée's first meeting with the future Living Legend. "Wow, this belt looks amazing," Renée said as she marveled over Bruno's WWWF World Championship belt, which she was holding in her hands at that moment. "The design of the center plate's really impressive."

"Yeah, it took some real craftsmanship to get this belt's plates made, almost like Lou Thesz's NWA belt," Bruno said. "When you become the best of the best in your promotion, your championship belt's gotta look the part too."

"I believe it," Renée remarked. "When I get to be a champion one day, I'd love to wear a belt that looks as good as this does."

"Which'll happen if you keep on improving like you have in the ring," Marcel said to Renée.

"I sure will, Papa," Renée replied.

"Your dad told me you haven't been wrestling all that long, Renée," Bruno then said. "That's surprising to me because I joined him to watch your match earlier and you were wrestling like you already have a few years of experience under your belt."

"That's true," Renée said. "I only started back in June after I graduated high school, but I had some pretty good trainers."

"Well, from what I hear, calling Mildred Burke and Stu Hart 'pretty good' would be kind of an understatement," Bruno said, making Renée laugh.

"Having amateur training helped me some too," Renée said. "And Papa played a big part in that because he helped get an amateur wrestling program for girls started at my old school in Los Angeles."

"You really did that?" Bruno said to Marcel.

"Guilty as charged," Marcel admitted. "When Renée said she wanted to follow in my footsteps and become a wrestler, I knew she'd need grounding in the fundamentals and that's where amateur wrestling came in."

"Good, that'll make all the difference," Bruno said.

"Johnny was telling me earlier that you've wrestled in Montreal before," Renée said. "How do you like coming up here?"

"It's always been great coming up to Montreal to wrestle," Bruno explained. "The Forum's the best arena in town to wrestle in because of the big crowds it draws and I get a lot of support from the fans here, especially those from the local Italian community."

"So when I go out to other cities outside Quebec, I just have to do what I've already been doing, reach out to French speakers living in those cities for the extra support alongside all the other fans," Renée said.

"Ecco, ora hai avuto l'idea," Bruno then said in Italian.

"Huh?" said a puzzled Renée.

"I was saying now you got the idea," Bruno clarified.

"Ah, okay," a slightly embarrassed Renée said with a nod, now understanding. "Sorry, I don't speak Italian - all I got from what you first said was 'idea'."

"Don't worry about it," Bruno said. "Since you're spending more time around Montreal now, you'll get to know the Italians and the other ethnic communities around here as part of your fan base. Take advantage of that support and make use of it and you'll go a long way."

Later that night after the Forum event, Bruno was back at his hotel room, dialing a number on the room's phone to make a long-distance call. The phone's ring tone sounded several times before the other end of the line picked up.

"Hello, Vince*? It's Bruno," Bruno said to the other end. "I didn't wake you up, did I? Oh, good. Yep, the match in Montreal went off without a hitch." He then picked up an object he had brought with him from the Forum, a black-and-white promotional photo of Renée, and looked at it. "Are you gonna be at the card in Philly tomorrow night? Good, because there's something I want to discuss, something about a potential new talent for you..."

* Vince, of course, would be Vincent James McMahon (AKA Vince McMahon Sr.), as Vince Jr. did not join his father's company until 1969.

Interesting diary, with a point in history few people have used.

I had forgotten that Rocky Johnson (aka The Rock's dad) was from Canada originally until I looked it up...

Yep, and thanks to a change in Canadian citizenship laws back in 2009, it also gave the Rock Canadian citizenship via Rocky. :D

Of course, as this diary progresses, Rocky will meet Renée Martel again at some point when they're booked on the same events, so stay tuned... :cool:

The following day in Philadelphia, Bruno Sammartino arrived at the hotel room occupied by Vince McMahon Sr. near the arena where a WWWF event was to take place later that night and knocked on the door. "Afternoon, Bruno," Vince said after letting the WWWF Champion in. "How was the flight from Montreal?"

"It went alright," Bruno replied. "Nothing eventful aside from some fans seeking autographs."

"Ah, another day in the life of a champion," Vince remarked with a chuckle. "Now, you were telling me over the phone last night about a potential new talent you said you had for me?"

"That's right," Bruno said as he opened his suitcase and took out the photo of Renée Martel he brought with him from Montreal, along with some stats about her, and handed them to Vince to look over.

"Hmm, well," Vince said as he checked out Renée's stats after seeing her photo. "This does look kind of interesting. Did you see her in action?"

"Yep, on the same card I wrestled on in Montreal," Bruno explained. "She was in a girls' tag team match and she got the winning pin. She also has a lot of fan support up there, even though she hasn't been wrestling very long."

"Okay," Vince said. "Just wondering, is she one of Fabulous Moolah's girls?"

"No, she's not tied to Moolah," Bruno said. "Renée was trained by Mildred Burke and Stu Hart and she also had amateur training before that."

"A Burke girl?" Vince said upon hearing Bruno's words. "Ah, sorry Bruno, but I can't use her."

"Why not? I mean, you should've seen her in Montreal last night, Vince, she's got some real talent," Bruno said.

"I know, but you know the deal I have with Moolah," Vince said. "I'm only to use her girls in the cities where women's wrestling is allowed in our territory, so unless she decided to join Moolah's camp and get retrained in the Moolah style, I can't use her."

"Okay, but I think you're missing out on a real opportunity to liven up your girls' division," Bruno said with a shrug of his shoulders as he took his suitcase. "Besides, after speaking to her and her dad, I'm plenty sure Renée wouldn't want to change the style she wrestles in now for what Moolah teaches," he added before he left Vince's room to head to his own room.

After Bruno left, Vince mulled over what they had discussed about Renée as he again looked at her photo and glanced over her stats, then decided that he would talk with Moolah next time he saw her and find a way to try to convince Renée to join the Moolah camp.

While this next diary chapter is a little late for Christmas, it does tie in with events of the previous chapter while working in a few holiday elements...

December 1965

Renée Martel was back at Michèle Richard's apartment as the two girls were watching TV in the living room, caught up in the last few minutes of the premiere that night of A Charlie Brown Christmas on the CBS station from across the border in Vermont. "Well, I'm glad Charlie Brown got the happy ending he deserved," Renée said as the special wrapped up with the Peanuts gang's singing of "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" around the Christmas tree.

"Yeah, and it took Linus's security blanket to bring about that miracle with the Christmas tree," Michèle remarked.

"And all in spite of Lucy and her skepticism and her teasing of Charlie Brown over the tree," Renée said. "That's just one of the reasons I never liked Lucy in the comic strip - she's always been horrible to Charlie Brown, and the cartoon tonight proved it."

"Well, that's probably one of the reasons Charles Schulz created Lucy," Michèle said, "to present her as an example of the kind of person not to be like in life."

"Yeah, that's true," Renée said with a laugh. "Hey, I got something I want to show you that I got in the mail," she added as she got up from the sofa and went to her coat on the coatrack near the front door, then pulled out an envelope from an inner pocket.

"So what's it about?" Michèle asked.

"Johnny got it at his office yesterday and I went to get it today," Renée explained as she showed Michèle the envelope, which had the address of the New York City head office of the Capitol Wrestling Corporation, the WWWF's parent company, on the upper left corner and was addressed to Renée in care of Johnny Rougeau's office address.

"From New York City?" Michèle said as she saw the New York address on the envelope. "Sounds pretty big."

"That's what I thought when I checked what was inside," Renée said as she took a letter out from the envelope. "It seems that Vince McMahon got word about me and has an interest in booking me for some shows for his company in the new year." She and Michèle then went over the letter, written personally by Vince, in which he expressed wanting Renée to appear for the WWWF at some point, with the promise of big paydays for the matches she wrestled in for him. But as the girls continued reading the letter, they noticed there was a condition put into Vince's offer - in order to wrestle for him, Renée would have to report to the Fabulous Moolah's training facility and learn how to wrestle in the style taught by Moolah. As part of the training at Moolah's wrestling school, she would also have to live where the facility was located in South Carolina, Moolah's home state.

"He's gotta be kidding," Michèle said in disbelief after finishing the letter. "Are you really gonna take him up on his offer?"

"So Moolah can 'teach' me stuff I already learned about wrestling from other teachers?" Renée said. "I don't think so. I talked with Ann Calvello while I trained with Mildred Burke last year and she had nothing good to say about Moolah, based on dealing with her. Penny Banner aired the same sentiments when I talked with her at Mildred's school later on when she came by as a guest instructor."

Michèle whistled after hearing what Renée said about Moolah. "So what're you gonna do about the offer?" she said.

"This," Renée replied as she stuck the letter from Vince back inside the envelope, then tore the envelope and its contents to pieces and threw the pieces into the kitchen's waste can. "And that's my answer to Vince's offer," she said as she did a gesture of dusting off her hands. "He'll figure it out when he doesn't hear back from me."

"My sentiments exactly," Michèle said with a grin. "Now, let's concentrate on more important stuff - like watching Gilligan's Island."

"With you on that," Renée agreed. Just as she was about to sit down on the sofa again, though, Michèle's intercom began buzzing and Michèle got up to answer it, "Talk to me."

"It's your dad," the voice of Ti-Blanc Richard came over the intercom. "I come with holiday tidings."

"Come on up," Michèle said before buzzing Ti-Blanc in and opening the front door for him.

"'Holiday tidings'?" Renée wondered. "Sounds like he must have some kind of surprise."

"We'll find out soon enough," Michèle said.

Soon after, Ti-Blanc arrived and stepped through the front door into Michèle's apartment. "Greetings and Merry Christmas, dear daughter!" he congenially greeted Michèle upon entering.

"Hi, Papa, good to have you come by," Michèle said as she went to hug her father.

Ti-Blanc also noticed Renée sitting on the sofa. "Hi there, Renée, Merry Christmas," he said to her.

"Same to you, Mr. Richard," Renée replied as she got up from the sofa and also hugged Ti-Blanc.

"I knew you hadn't picked up a tree for Christmas yet, Michèle, so I brought one over so we can decorate it," Ti-Blanc said as he produced the tree in question from the hallway - which turned out to be a small tree, no taller than about two feet.

Upon seeing the tree, Michèle began laughing. "Look at that, you brought over a Charlie Brown tree!" she said while laughing, remarking about its small size.

"'Charlie Brown tree'? What're you talking about?" a puzzled Ti-Blanc said, apparently not getting the joke.

"We'll explain about it while we get the decorations and get some hot chocolate made," Renée said with a giggle as she closed the front door to the apartment.

Following after the format of Canadian wrestler/wrestling archivist Vance Nevada, I'm going to document the matches Renée Martel wrestled in by year and promotions wrestled in at the end of each year, starting here with 1965.

Renée Martel Career Record - 1965 (28 documented matches)

All-Star Wrestling/Les As de la Lutte - Promoter Johnny Rougeau:

06/17 Montreal, QC - drew Julie Painchaud

06/18 Chicoutimi, QC - drew Julie Painchaud (TV taping)

06/19 Quebec City, QC - lost to Julie Painchaud

06/22 Ottawa, ON - beat Julie Painchaud

07/08 Montreal, QC - beat Julie Painchaud

07/15 Montreal, QC - lost to Margot Bouchard (Michèle Richard)

Provincial Sports Association - Promoter Len Hughes:

07/23 Halifax, NS - lost to Julie Painchaud

07/26 Moncton, NB - beat Julie Painchaud

07/30 Halifax, NS - w/. Joyce Grable (Joyce Fowler), lost to Cora Combs & Julie Painchaud

08/02 Moncton, NB - w/. Joyce Grable, vs. Cora Combs & Julie Painchaud

08/04 Truro, NS - w/. Joyce Grable, drew Cora Combs & Julie Painchaud

08/06 Halifax, NS - w/. Joyce Grable, beat Cora Combs & Julie Painchaud

All-Star Wrestling/Les As de la Lutte:

08/12 Montreal, QC - w/. Joyce Grable, beat Cora Combs & Julie Painchaud

Provincial Sports Association:

08/27 Halifax, NS - w/. Yvon Durelle, lost to Ossie Timmins & Margot Bouchard (mixed tag)

08/30 Moncton, NB - lost to Margot Bouchard

08/31 Charlottetown, PE - w/. Marcel Martel, beat The Beast (Yvon Cormier) & Margot Bouchard by DQ (mixed tag)

09/02 Halifax, NS - beat Margot Bouchard by DQ

09/03 Bridgewater, NS - w/. Rudy Kay, vs. John Heideman & Margot Bouchard (mixed tag)

09/09 Halifax, NS - beat Margot Bouchard

All-Star Wrestling/Les As de la Lutte:

09/16 Montreal, QC - w/. Barbara LaMarche, lost to Margot Bouchard & Julie Painchaud

09/20 Quebec City, QC - w/. Barbara LaMarche, beat Margot Bouchard & Julie Painchaud by DQ

09/23 Montreal, QC - w/. Barbara LaMarche, beat Margot Bouchard & Julie Painchaud

10/18 Quebec City, QC - lost to Georgia Hase

10/21 Montreal, QC - lost to Georgia Hase

11/01 Quebec City, QC - beat Georgia Hase by DQ

11/04 Montreal, QC - beat Georgia Hase by DQ

11/15 Quebec City, QC - w/. Judy Arnold, beat Georgia Hase & Margot Bouchard by DQ

11/18 Montreal, QC - w/. Judy Arnold, beat Georgia Hase & Margot Bouchard

April 1966

During the year, Batmania launched as Batman debuted at midseason on ABC, while President Lyndon B. Johnson declared that the United States should remain in South Vietnam until the Communist threat there was defused and he sent more American troops to assist the South Vietnamese against Communist aggression in the Vietnam War; in response, Soviet dictator Leonid Brezhnev demanded the departure of American troops from Vietnam while student demonstrations against the war started being held across the US. The Beach Boys released their 11th studio album Pet Sounds, while The Flintstones aired its final episode on ABC and Star Trek made its debut on NBC. The Beatles retired from touring after playing their final concert at Candlestick Park in San Francisco. All Big Three TV networks began airing all of their programming in full color, while color television arrived in Canada when the state-owned CBC Television and the privately-owned CTV began airing selected programs in color. Former actor Ronald Reagan was elected as the Governor of California, and Walt Disney died during production of his animated version of The Jungle Book.

In sports, the NFL and the AFL reached an agreement to merge into one league under the NFL name beginning with the 1970 season, the Green Bay Packers won the NFL Championship by defeating the Cleveland Browns, the Montreal Canadiens won their 14th Stanley Cup by defeating the Detroit Red Wings, the Boston Celtics defeated the Los Angeles Lakers to win the NBA Championship, the Chicago Bulls were granted an NBA franchise, the Milwaukee Braves relocated to Atlanta, the NHL kicked its expansion plans into high gear with the addition of six new teams (in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Oakland and Los Angeles, all to start play in the 1967-68 season) to double the league's size and fend off plans for the Western Hockey League to become a rival major league, and Muhammad Ali retained his World Heavyweight Boxing Championship throughout the year with victories over Cleveland WIlliams, Canadian boxer George Chuvalo, British boxers Henry Cooper and Brian London and German boxer Karl Mildenberger.

In wrestling, Gene Kiniski defeated Lou Thesz to win the NWA World Heavyweight Championship and end Thesz' final reign with the title. Former World Heavyweight Champion Ed "Strangler" Lewis died of natural causes at age 75 in New York City. A promotional rivalry was brewing in Winnipeg between the AWA and local NWA-affiliated promotion Alex Turk Promotions. Canadian Maritime promotion Atlantic Grand Prix Wrestling began the 1966 Maritime wrestling season as the sole promotion running in that part of Canada following the closure of the Provincial Sports Association the previous September. Meanwhile...

While All-Star Wrestling was on hiatus during the early part of the year and most of its wrestlers were working elsewhere, Renée Martel got work outside the wrestling business for a while when she went to work with Michèle Richard at Morgan's Department Store in downtown Montreal. Because of what happened to her in Truro the previous summer, she decided to learn self-defence to protect herself against would-be mashers or assailants by taking classes in judo and karate and she convinced Michèle, along with their other friends and fellow wrestlers Julie Painchaud, Barbara LaMarche and Claire Lepage, to join her in those classes.

Due to the All-Star hiatus, all of the regular ladies in its roster did not get much wrestling work at first, but that changed when NWA All-Star Wrestling, the Vancouver NWA affiliate, wanted some female wrestlers to appear and contacted Johnny Rougeau to help fill some gaps when the Fabulous Moolah only sent two wrestlers out of four requested. Willing to help out, Johnny contacted Renée and Barbara and sent them on their first trip out West, making arrangements with NWA All-Star promoter Rod Fenton to have Don Leo Jonathan, who had worked with Renée's father Marcel in Stampede Wrestling and in Los Angeles in the past, be the girls' escort for their British Columbia tour, starting with their first stop in Victoria.

spacer.png

Upon arriving in Victoria and at the hotel* where the babyfaces would be staying, Renée, Barbara and Don Leo Jonathan, after checking in at the lobby and putting their suitcases away in their rooms (a single room for Don and a shared room with twin beds for Renée and Barbara down the hall), went into the hotel's coffee shop where Rod Fenton was waiting for them. "Hello Don, and welcome to Victoria, ladies," Rod greeted the trio as they gathered around a table and took their seats. "Glad you all made it."

"Well, we did, in spite of the traffic," Don said with a grin.

"Order what you like, lunch today's on me," Rod said as a waitress came around and handed menus to everyone at the table. After everyone placed their orders, Rod then said, "Okay, Don, let's do your part on the show tonight. We got an eight-man battle royal slated as the main event tonight and you'll be appearing in it, and before that, you'll be going one-on-one with Pancho Lopez."

"Works all right for me," Don said.

"Now, Renée and Barbara," Rod continued, "Tonight, you'll be going up against Bette Boucher and Toni Rose in the second match before Don goes on."

"That's fine," Renée said. "It's the first time we've had to face them."

"Good," Rod said. "Now, I don't know if your boss Johnny Rougeau told you this, but the reason he sent you out here was to fill a gap in the opposing team. I contacted the Fabulous Moolah to send me four girls for tag team matches around the circuit now and into May, but she only sent me two, Bette and Toni. She claimed that all her other girls were busy and that two was all she could send me."

"Hmm, now that we didn't know," Barbara remarked.

"Well, now you do," Rod said. "I was going to make other arrangements when I remembered about Johnny having some girls wrestling for him, so I called him up and told him my dilemma and he said he'd send me two girls - and now, here you are."

"I'm just glad we can help out," Renée said while Barbara nodded in agreement.

"Okay," Rod said. "And Renée, there is something I wanted to bring up specifically involving you."

"What's that?" a curious Renée asked.

"I've got a working agreement with Alex Turk, the promoter over in Winnipeg," Rod explained. "I send him some of the members of my roster for his monthly cards out that way. He's got a big extravaganza coming up in Winnipeg on May 7 with Gene Kiniski and Whipper Billy Watson headlining. Alex has also heard about you from Johnny and he wants to book you for May 7 as well."

"Sounds good so far," Renée said. "What would I need to do out there?"

"He wants you to go to Winnipeg a few days before the event and do interviews for the local French media," Rod said, "which would work for him because he knows you're from Montreal and that you're a native French speaker, and the Winnipeg area has a sizable Francophone population you could appeal to and draw out to his show. You'll do interviews in English for local radio and TV as well, but he considers the French interviews important to get that segment out to the event."

"Alright, then count me in," a pleased Renée said. "Tell Mr. Turk I'll do it. Has he said who I'd be wrestling in Winnipeg?"

"Not yet, but I think he will when you get out there," Rod said, just as the waitress returned with the first of his table's lunch orders. "I'll clear you to head out there after the Chilliwack event on May 3 and let him know you'll be on your way after that."

* The hotel depicted in the above photo is the Ingraham Hotel in Victoria, BC, which operated between the late 1950s and 2003.

Edited by Old School Fan
Manually reformatted to include picture due to inexplicable improper auto-reformatting

Good update; like that you're updating a bit on pop culture...

Yeah, the NHL began expanding big time at this point (and so did the NFL and NBA)...

Surprised you didn't mention the Watts riots during your August 1965 updates--they were big news in the U.S. and Canada.

Fun fact: on October 30, 1965, the song "Keep On Dancing" by The Gentrys peaked at the #4 position. One of the singers in the group was future WWF manager and songwriter Jimmy Hart (and, if you're #4, and two of the songs ahead of you are sung by the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, who could have written anything at this point and it would be in the Top 10, that's pretty good for a one-hit wonder).

NWA All-Star Wrestling @ Victoria Memorial Arena*

April 26, 1966 - Victoria, British Columbia

spacer.png

Eric Froelich wrestled Roy McClarty to a time-limit draw.

Barbara LaMarche & Renée Martel defeated Bette Boucher & Toni Rose when Renée forced Rose to submit to the Alligator Clutch.

Don Leo Jonathan defeated Pancho Lopez by pinfall following a Mormon Swing.

NWA Canadian Tag Team Championship

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Pat Barrett & Tim Geohagen © defeated John Tolos & Tony Borne** when Tolos was disqualified after getting caught throwing powder in Barrett's face.

$2,000 8-man Battle Royal

spacer.png

Don Leo Jonathan won the match and the $2,000 prize by last eliminating John Tolos (other participants included Eric Froelich, Roy McClarty, Pancho Lopez, Pat Barrett, Tim Geohagen and Tony Borne).

* This arena once stood on the site now occupied by the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre, which has hosted some WWE events in Victoria in recent years.

** Tony Borne was the father of 1980s/'90s star "Maniac" Matt Borne (AKA Big Josh, AKA the original Doink the Clown).

Edited by Old School Fan

NWA All-Star Wrestling @ Chilliwack Agricultural Hall

May 3, 1966 - Chilliwack, British Columbia

Attendance - 900

spacer.png

Barbara LaMarche & Renée Martel defeated Bette Boucher & Toni Rose when LaMarche pinned Boucher following a Fisherman suplex.

Roy McClarty defeated Pancho Lopez by pinfall with a crucifix cradle.

Eric Froelich wrestled Pat Barrett to a time-limit draw.

Don Leo Jonathan defeated Mighty Ursus by pinfall following a Mormon Swing.

Edited by Old School Fan

May 1966

Soon after arriving in Winnipeg on May 4, Renée Martel was met at the airport by Winnipeg promoter Alex Turk and her father Marcel (who had also come to town for the upcoming event) to head to the babyfaces' hotel. The following day, Renée started her media interview rounds, beginning with local French-language radio station CKSB*, where she did an interview for a lunch-hour show. The following is the transcript from that interview, translated from its original French:

RADIO HOST: Welcome back, and my guest with me right now is an up-and-coming young star in the world of professional wrestling, Renée Martel. Renée, welcome to the show.

RENÉE MARTEL: Thank you, _____, happy to be here.

RADIO HOST: Now, you've come to Winnipeg for an upcoming wrestling event at the Winnipeg Arena this Saturday night.

MARTEL: That's right.

RADIO HOST: And you'll be wrestling at that event.

MARTEL: I will be. I'll be facing an American wrestling star, Cora Combs, at the event.

RADIO HOST: Is this your first time wrestling in the Winnipeg area?

MARTEL: Yes, it is. In fact, this is my first wrestling tour through Western Canada, which I started in British Columbia a few days before I came here.

RADIO HOST: Okay, now let's get down to the basics. Whereabouts are you from, originally?

MARTEL: I was born and raised in Drummondville, Quebec, but I spent a few years living down in Los Angeles in the United States, while my father, Marcel Martel, was wrestling down there, and I'm currently living in Montreal for my wrestling career.

RADIO HOST: Ah, so with that time spent in the United States, you must've learned the English language a bit down there.

MARTEL: That's right, I did. I'm fluent in both languages, French and English.

RADIO HOST: And how long have you been wrestling for, if I could ask?

MARTEL: I made my debut as a wrestler last year, on June 17 in Montreal, just a few days before I turned 18. I'll be turning 19 this June 26.

RADIO HOST: Well, happy birthday in advance, Renée.

MARTEL: (giggling) Thank you.

RADIO HOST: Now, how well have you done so far as a wrestler?

MARTEL: Well, I've had some successes as a wrestler, but I've had a few losses as well... (giggling) But I'm improving as a wrestler and I'll keep improving as my career goes along.

RADIO HOST: Good to hear. So, who trained you for your career as a wrestler?

MARTEL: My father Marcel trained me, along with Johnny Rougeau, one of the star wrestlers in Montreal, and Yvon Robert, a former World Heavyweight Champion. I also had two others train me while I was traveling with my father for his career - Mildred Burke, the former World Women's Champion, and Stu Hart, the wrestling promoter in Calgary and a former wrestler himself, and I also had training in amateur wrestling while I was living in the United States and going to high school there.

RADIO HOST: Wow, that's quite a pedigree you've acquired.

MARTEL: (giggling) My father wanted to make sure I got good training.

RADIO HOST: Good, good. Now, outside of wrestling, what do you do when you're not wrestling?

MARTEL: (giggling again) Well, I just do what just about any other girl my age would do - hang out with my friends, go with them to the movies on the weekends, talk on the phone, sometimes babysitting for kids of my family's friends.

RADIO HOST: And you enjoy babysitting, do you?

MARTEL: (laughing) Most times, yes... But really, I've done it because I do love kids.

RADIO HOST: And between that and your wrestling career, I guess it doesn't leave much time for boyfriends, does it? Because as pretty as you are, I'm sure you have your share to pick from.

MARTEL: (laughing again) Thank you, and no, I do have a boyfriend back at home, I just don't get to see him as much as I'd like.

RADIO HOST: Of course. But getting back on topic, what ambitions do you have as a girl wrestler?

MARTEL: I want to become the World Women's Wrestling Champion one day, be successful in the sport and be a role model for young girls who watch wrestling on TV and might be thinking of a career in the sport when they grow up.

RADIO HOST: Excellent, very admirable. Now, as we wrap up this segment, is there anything you'd like to say to our listening audience in St. Boniface, St. Vital and elsewhere in Winnipeg?

MARTEL: Sure, I'd like to invite everyone listening to come on out to the Winnipeg Arena on Saturday night for the wrestling matches, to see me in action and show your support. And anyone listening who has any kids, bring them along too, it'll be a great night out for them. I'll be there along with my father and so will the big stars like Gene Kiniski, Whipper Billy Watson and Don Leo Jonathan.

RADIO HOST: And that'll be as you said, Saturday night, 8:00 p.m. at the Winnipeg Arena. Thanks for joining us here today, Renée.

MARTEL: My pleasure, ______.

Following that interview, Renée went to the CBC Building in downtown Winnipeg to do TV interviews in English and French for the local CBC-owned stations, CBWT (English) and CBWFT (French), for their supper-hour newscasts, then went to the offices of Alex Turk Promotions for an English-language press conference for the Winnipeg Free Press newspaper, several local radio stations and the local privately-owned TV station, CJAY-TV**. Thanks to Renée's media blitz, Turk later reported that ticket sales for the May 7 Winnipeg Arena show, which had been going at a decent pace but had not yet broken the 10,000 mark, saw a sudden upsurge, with many of the ticket buyers coming from the Winnipeg area's Francophone community, who were eager to see two fellow Francophones (Marcel and Renée Martel) in action in the ring.

* At the time of TTL interview, CKSB (both IRL and ITTL) was a privately-owned French-language commercial radio station in St. Boniface, then a suburb of Winnipeg (and later amalgamated into Winnipeg in 1971), which also carried some networked programs from state-owned French network Radio-Canada, the sister network of the CBC. CKSB was directly purchased by the CBC in 1973 and has since operated as Winnipeg's Radio-Canada station on the radio dial.

** CJAY-TV, which began as an independent station at sign-on in 1960 and later joined commercial network CTV on October 1, 1961, would change its call sign to CKY-TV in 1973 and is now owned by CTV parent Bell Media.

The poster for the May 7 Alex Turk wrestling card is now up:

spacer.png

Okay, it's prediction time for the full match slate below: :D

Roy McClarty vs. Sandor Kovacs

Marcel Martel vs. Pancho Lopez

Renée Martel vs. Cora Combs

Don Leo Jonathan vs. Mighty Ursus

NWA International Tag Team Championship (Winnipeg)

Pat Barrett & Tim Geohagen © vs. John Tolos & Tony Borne

NWA World Heavyweight Championship

Gene Kiniski © vs. Whipper Billy Watson

Edited by Old School Fan

Gene Kiniski (C) vs. Whipper Billy Watson

Not sure Daddy Martel is so lucky

Give the nod to the hometown girl

Another big guy who made appearances in the PNW but was normally in BC. Billed as 6’9 but was actually closer to 6’7 but still a big guy.

I have to go with PNW legend “Tough” Tony Borne who would eventually bring his son into wrestling and give us Doink the Clown