Wrestling Timelines: 1986

3 hours ago, LordofGustav said:

You named Candice Pardue's moveset as Crossbody, which it is her finisher, the same with the Dropkick of Susan Starr, it are temporary names to remember where are they or something?

No, it's so that I can use the same moveset for multiple people without it looking like I've applied someone else's incorrectly. In this timeframe it was common for finishers to be "just" a move, without a unique name. Rather than create lots and lots of identical movesets, for those types of finishers I've created a generic one I can just apply when needed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Random question of the day: does anyone know if Steve Armstrong and Jackie Fulton worked under masks when they portrayed Falcon & Eagle in AJPW during the 1990s? I can find that they used those names but can't find an image or video of it anywhere.

2 hours ago, jhd1 said:

Random question of the day: does anyone know if Steve Armstrong and Jackie Fulton worked under masks when they portrayed Falcon & Eagle in AJPW during the 1990s? I can find that they used those names but can't find an image or video of it anywhere.

Yes, they worked under masks with those gimmicks in AJPW starting in 1992. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jhd1 said:

Yes both were masked. They are both included in the AmP Graphics as The Falcon and The Eagle.

• Thanks 1

Currently playing a Championship Wrestling from Florida game which is super fun, but I'm also watching my budget go completely out of the window and my finances dwindle at an alarming rate. I've just held NWA Battle of the Belts II, taking inspiration from the real life event:

• Ric Flair def. Barry Windham (w/Kendall Windham) [67]
  • Blackjack Mulligan & The Road Warriors (w/Paul Ellering) def. Kevin Sullivan, Maha Singh & Purple Haze (w/Luna, The Lock & Fallen Angel [62]
  • Wahoo McDaniel (w/Joe Savoldi) def. Kamala [60]
  • Lady Maxine def. Luna Vachon [34]
  • Lex Luger (w/Percy Pringle) def. Jesse Barr (w/Sandy Barr) to retain the NWA Southern Heavyweight title [43]
  • Mil Mascaras & Hector Guerrero def. Cuban Assassin & White Ninja [46]
  • Tyree Pride def. Koko Samoa to retain the NWA Florida Bahamian title [35]

Overall it rated 64 which is my best show so far by a decent margin (most rating high 40s or low 50s). Obviously Flair vs Windham would have been for the NWA World's title but it's JCP only (for reasons discussed early in the thread if anyone wonders) so I'm using my imagination for that one. I couldn't use the double count out finish from the real event either because Flair blocked it.

Lex Luger has joined the ranks of Percy Pringle and is repeatedly fending off Jesse Barr who brought in Lady Maxine to help him but she's distracted fighting Luna Vachon. He brought his dad along for the night instead. I think I'm heading towards Luger beating Kendall for the NWA Florida belt and he can show off for a bit.

Wahoo McDaniel is "mentoring" Joe Savoldi (in actual fact he just told him off at Wrestler's Court but kayfabe lives in 1986) although where that's leading I'm not sure! It started out with a plan for him to bring up Hector Guerrero and Joe Savoldi together but Hector's on a roll so he doesn't need it. Koko Samoa joined the ranks of the House of Humperdink the following week. Ray Candy will join the group soon to team with Ed Gantner (as in real life).

The Fabulous Ones didn't have a place on the card so they opened the show and commentated on the opening contest. They did win the US Tag Team titles against the New Guinea Headhunters in January although there aren't a million heel teams outside of the Army of Darkness to challenge them so their defences are usually against jobbers at the minute.

Kevin Sullivan's Army of Darkness has been feuding with the Windhams as it did in real life, although I think there may be an opportunity to really put Hector over by bringing him into the feud at some point.

I can't remember how long you can be in the red but I'm dangerously close already and it's only March so whether I'll make it to the Battle of the Belts III I'm not sure!

• Like 6

On 5/31/2023 at 11:16 AM, jhd1 said:

Currently playing a Championship Wrestling from Florida

Yeah, every sim I've done (including my WWF save that I've gotten well into '87) CWF always tanks it hard. New Japan signed away Barry Windham on an exclusive deal so on top of losing money their main events just went splat.

Edited by Ping von Erich
more words

So I'm playing as JCP in 86 and having a blast....except for I literally cannot run WTBS studios do to Florida and Continental having the south east territory which kills me because I want to run Georgia. I guess there is no work arounds for this without altering the game. I guess I could edit JCP to be in the southeast as well. Then I can still run Mid Atlantic since no one else is located there and I can run the southeast. Anyone else running into this problem or have any suggestions on a different work around? 

14 hours ago, Stennick said:

So I'm playing as JCP in 86 and having a blast....except for I literally cannot run WTBS studios do to Florida and Continental having the south east territory which kills me because I want to run Georgia. I guess there is no work arounds for this without altering the game. I guess I could edit JCP to be in the southeast as well. Then I can still run Mid Atlantic since no one else is located there and I can run the southeast. Anyone else running into this problem or have any suggestions on a different work around? 

I hadn't considered that (it's because the NWA territories don't line up with the in-game regions). I can amend the NWA to not have the protective setting; I can't remember if you can edit it in-game or if you need to use the editor but I'll sort it for the next update.

If anyone's interested, I've started up an easy-to-read (hopefully!) diary featuring the AWA using this mod. It's meant partly for people less familiar with the mod or timeframe, but has proven fun to write alongside the game given how easy it is to write as I go along.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jhd1 said:

If anyone's interested, I've started up an easy-to-read (hopefully!) diary featuring the AWA using this mod. It's meant partly for people less familiar with the mod or timeframe, but has proven fun to write alongside the game given how easy it is to write as I go along.

I'm going to check this out. I'm in the early stages of planning a diary with this mod. I've played until 1990 with both WWF and JCP in separate saves. I'm thinking of doing a Memphis save next. I'm like a kid in a candy store with this mod. I'm gonna go check that out. 

• Like 2

I have an idea for a save, but wanted to see if an update is on the horizon before I commit to a save. 

Excited to check out the AWA diary as well. I know when I do start my game,  I'll be stealing Bock from AWA asap and give him a good NWA title run

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jaysin said:

I have an idea for a save, but wanted to see if an update is on the horizon before I commit to a save. 

Excited to check out the AWA diary as well. I know when I do start my game,  I'll be stealing Bock from AWA asap and give him a good NWA title run

Sent you a PM

• Thanks 1

Someone (Stennick?) mentioned about not being able to air in Canada as a US promotion. For the next update I'm going to amend the Syndication broadcasters to require a base in North America (or potentially just USA/Canada for the northern areas). Currently they're required to be based in either the USA or Canada, but don't consider both.

EDIT: Just done it. I've set Hawaii to "Anywhere" because it seems like a good place for a Japanese company to air but I can't restrict to North America and Japan (and Japan by itself obviously makes no sense).

10 hours ago, Jaysin said:

Gonna have Bock go over Flair huh? Starrcade 86 is a tough. With Mangum being out and you can't do Dusty/Flair for three years in a row there is nobody else on the roster to take that top babyface spot. I toyed with the idea of bringing in Graham/Backlund/Bock as a dream match type thing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stennick said:

Gonna have Bock go over Flair huh? Starrcade 86 is a tough. With Mangum being out and you can't do Dusty/Flair for three years in a row there is nobody else on the roster to take that top babyface spot. I toyed with the idea of bringing in Graham/Backlund/Bock as a dream match type thing. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this data start in Jan '86? So Magnum T.A. is still good & healthy at this point, beating jobbers quicker than Goldberg every Saturday on WTBS. 😃

But a Nick Bockwinkel run in JCP does sound like a great story idea. 😎

2 hours ago, Stennick said:

I ended up starting as a medium sized promotion called World Wrestling All-Stars based in LA. The only real changes to the data I made for this game are I deleted Mutoh's excursion, and I switched a few written contracts to handshake just because I want to have a chance to sign them. Bock is one of them and I think he'll be my number one heel. I've always wanted to give him a proper push in a game and this is gives me a good time period to book him.

I'd love to eventually have Magnum vs Bock in a World Title match. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattywood said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this data start in Jan '86? So Magnum T.A. is still good & healthy at this point, beating jobbers quicker than Goldberg every Saturday on WTBS. 😃

But a Nick Bockwinkel run in JCP does sound like a great story idea. 😎

You are correct he has his accident in October of this year heading towards presumably beating Flair at Starrcade. The narratives in the data have him 100 percent getting in the accident. There are two more narratives that have a 50 percent chance of hitting if they both hit he's done but either way he's absolutely out for Starrcade. 

2 hours ago, Jaysin said:

I ended up starting as a medium sized promotion called World Wrestling All-Stars based in LA. The only real changes to the data I made for this game are I deleted Mutoh's excursion, and I switched a few written contracts to handshake just because I want to have a chance to sign them. Bock is one of them and I think he'll be my number one heel. I've always wanted to give him a proper push in a game and this is gives me a good time period to book him.

I'd love to eventually have Magnum vs Bock in a World Title match. 

Kind of interesting there wasn't a big California promotion during the territories. I know there was WWA in LA and Big Time Wrestling in Northern Cali but nothing compared to what was happening on the other side of the country. This is the perfect time for Bock's push kind of his last hurrah he had plenty left in the tank, he could talk and he can make whoever you choose as your top babyface. 

4 hours ago, HarryFandango86 said:

I was just wondering since i'm loving this mod and the save i got going, before i push on too far, what's the chances i'd have to start again upon the release of the next update? 

There's nothing that would massively change the starting data, it's mainly cosmetic and new future workers and companies (which you can always import into the save if you want to). It's a few weeks off yet though, things have been a bit hectic.

• Like 1