FCW: It Matters!

FCW Puerto Rican Title: Mutant (c) vs Kip Keenan

I'm not sure if Keenan is ready and Mutant's reign feels alive

Billy Russell and Xavi Ferrera vs Handsome Stranger and Frederique

Not sure about this one but the chemistry of these two tag teams is on different levels

First Blood Match: Carlos Gonzalez vs Marco Gonzalez

Young blood

FCW Tag Team Titles: The Harlem Knights (c) vs Joffy Laine and Davis Wayne Newton

It's time for Laine and Newton to shine!

If Kong Loses He Leaves The Island: King Kong Kennedy vs Charlie Thatcher

Because it makes sense if you have to reduce costs

You did a good job building Kip with the 10 wins but Mutant just is not losing. I do predict some Haley/Brody interference though...

This one is tricky because Billy is on his retirement tour. But Handsome is the ex champion and I have to assume the joint star power with Frederique is worth keeping... So, makes sense to add Billy to help placate Handome/Fred and for Xavi to get some build before he beats them in singles matches...!

So, I think losing a first blood match can be less damaging than being straight up pinned so it's a good way to protect Carlos but get Marco over. Probably some luck involved. 

FCW Tag Team Titles: The Harlem Knights (c) vs Joffy Laine and Davis Wayne Newton

I actually think Harlem Knights will take it but there is more mileage in Joffy/DWN having a run as the dysfunctional duo.

You made me feel bad for Kennedy, like, I would want to see more of him now. But, it just ain't gonna be in FCW.

Too soon for Mutant to drop the belt, and I'd be surprised if there weren't some romantic shenanigans for Kip to deal with.

Xavi is a rising star, pairing him with Russell makes sense to elevate him.

Not sure about this one, but I think Marco will find some way to beat his uncle.

Another tricky one. I like the new pairing of Laine and DWN, but the Knights are awesome.

Kennedy sucks. Thatcher gets some heat for sending him packing.

FCW Puerto Rican Title: Mutant (c) vs Kip Keenan

Too good to lose too early

Protect the local hero 

First Blood Match: Carlos Gonzalez vs Marco Gonzalez

There's so much more to do with this excellent program

FCW Tag Team Titles: The Harlem Knights (c) vs Joffy Laine and Davis Wayne Newton

Can they coexist?

If Kong Loses He Leaves The Island: King Kong Kennedy vs Charlie Thatcher

Sounds like cost cutting

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, newbiezness said:

It seems that you started sacking people 😆

That's fair to say! I certainly have.  It's unfortunate really that Kong and Brody leaving happened on the same show as it might give the impression there's a bit of an exodus. Truth be told neither one of these were true cost cutting measures and both have been planned for a while (pre my realisation of how screwed financially I am). Kong is dirt cheap, but he's also one of the worst wrestlers in the world. Brody was partly for storyline reasons, partly because a few times I wanted to book him but he was busy in Japan and that wound me up and partly because I suspect he might sign elsewhere soon anyway. Again his salary is actually super cheap although I was paying him to fly in from Japan each show (not sure where to see how much that actually cost me). 

All this is just to say, actual cost cutting is still to come! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, christmas_ape said:

That's fair to say! I certainly have.  It's unfortunate really that Kong and Brody leaving happened on the same show as it might give the impression there's a bit of an exodus. Truth be told neither one of these were true cost cutting measures and both have been planned for a while (pre my realisation of how screwed financially I am). Kong is dirt cheap, but he's also one of the worst wrestlers in the world. Brody was partly for storyline reasons, partly because a few times I wanted to book him but he was busy in Japan and that wound me up and partly because I suspect he might sign elsewhere soon anyway. Again his salary is actually super cheap although I was paying him to fly in from Japan each show (not sure where to see how much that actually cost me). 

All this is just to say, actual cost cutting is still to come! 

It didn't seem too much for me that two wrestlers left in the same show. By the way I liked Mutant vs Brody, with Mutant looking strong. I think you don't need Kong and Brody isn't bad but PGHW is too big and has too much money to fight for him. I'm curious who will you pick to cut costs then.

The Gonzalez match lived up to its long build (I loved the hype video on the last show too). I think it was the right finish, both as Carlos maybe needed the win more at this stage, and it gave Marco the motivation for what followed. The post-match was perfect. It felt more like a natural character progression than a heel turn or final beat in a heel turn, which speaks to how well Marco and his motivations have been written.

I feel like that would've been hard to follow emotion-wise, so putting the novelty match on next was shrewd, and it was a nice touch to have the pizza skit feed into the finish in line with what others have said about bringing the island to life.

The Charlie Thatcher match achieved what it needed to. I thought they were going to follow up with a beatdown to further build up their heat but instead you were able to send Kennedy out with a bit of pride, nod to history and transition to the next feud: a perfect hat-trick.

I thought the House Handsome hangers-on might beat Billy Russell to emerge as the next tag contenders but instead it's a huge spotlight moment for Xavi Ferrera and, with Frederique eating the fall, I wonder if it paves the way for Ferrera v Handsome Stranger one-on-one.

I never saw the main event twist coming. I was confident in Mutant retaining to cement himself as champion, I just didn't realise who he'd be pinning. I'm intrigued whether Kip Keenan gets any payback on Giant Brody before he disappears, and if Haley Buck will stick around to continue trying to bring him down.

Ugh, Marco Gonzalez just... sucks 🤪 So, good job lol

I was surprised at the main event stipulation as I thought Brody and Kip would have the decisive match, but I guess the feud is really between Kip and Haley, and whoever she gets her claws into next. And Mutant is quickly gelling into the arrogant heel champion, at least, that's the vibe I'm getting from his gimmick now. 

As much as the Harlem Knights had potential the story with Davis and Joffy is the way to go. And they have Relentless and the Latino Kings in the wings-- it was curious the Kings weren't on the show too. I guess its roster depth rather than cost...

• Like 1