Round-Robin tournaments during TV shows

How do you guys book a round-robin tournament during TV shows? I'm talking about the number of participants you use, how long are the matches, how you integrate them with PPVs, etc.

For Example, I had 20 man tournament in my save, but I found it overbearing, so I reduced it to 16 men. Also, I do the occasional B-show match in order to make sure the tournament ends.

Yeah, I planned one out at one point, and it was going to take three months to play out the whole thing, and I had two A shows and two B shows a week. I was going to be running three tourney matches every A show and two every B show for right around three months just to get through the round-robin.

I think round robin tournaments work better if you're a touring company, where you might have eight shows in two weeks that usually don't require all the segments and such that make for entertaining television. Then you can focus it like NJPW does with the G1: have one night an A-Block night where all the guys in the A-Block wrestle their matches, and the next night is a B-Block night. Then you maybe have a day off and move on to new opponents for the A-Block guys the next show and on and on and on...

IF you are big enough to be running how shows you can kayfabe it so that you have some of the matches headlining those house show events, which is basically your way to get around a bucnh of matches you don't care much about or thast mighit already have repeat booking penalties.... it's pretty much what TNA did when they ran the Bound For Glory series many years back (which was a single 10 man block) along with some other weird gimmick matches for extra shenanigans, might work for you to help you out with the match load a bit. :)

Tested out on a touring company - 20 Man Round Robin, 4 blocks of 5 people. Blocks A & C run on odd number events and B & D run on even number events. Because 5 is an odd number, there are 2 matches per block for each event (4 matches total per event) and then I had time for one or two non-tournament matches and then angles. On night 11 you need to double up so that on the 12th night (my main show) I would just have the finals.

Another alternative is one 10 man block. That means you have 5 matches per show, for 9 shows. On show 10 you have the the semifinals, and run show 11 as the Tour-ending show where you have the finals. Depending on the length of the shows and match/angle ratio though, you may not get much more than just tournament matches during the show. Best way around that is to either do this when you have a small roster...or have two shows, where one is your main show and one is where you hold the Round Robin tournament.

I run a yearly round-robin for my junior heavyweights. It's the only round-robin I run, to make it stand out. My men's roster has two A-Shows, so I run two 10-man blocks, one for each show. Over three months they will run matches. My B-show becomes my "catch-up" show, ensuring I stay on pace for the PPV at the end of the three months. I've been debating on playing around with the block structure or reducing the number of competitors, but it makes it really easy to fill tv time.

On 3/20/2023 at 5:21 AM, Derek B said:

IF you are big enough to be running how shows you can kayfabe it so that you have some of the matches headlining those house show events, which is basically your way to get around a bucnh of matches you don't care much about or thast mighit already have repeat booking penalties.... it's pretty much what TNA did when they ran the Bound For Glory series many years back (which was a single 10 man block) along with some other weird gimmick matches for extra shenanigans, might work for you to help you out with the match load a bit. :)

To quote the great Cleveland Indians manager Lou Brown in Major League: "That's a hell of an idea."

St.T

You could also just utilize pre-show and post-show matches extensively, so that you can get the match results without worrying about the quality. Like you can run an hour and a half worth of back to back 10 min pre-show matches each TV taping, then run another hour post show. Match quality won't matter much, as you're just getting the results.

It would be like how AEW runs a million Dark and Elevation matches at their tapings that they air whenever.