[HYPE] Real World Chronicles 2005

JvG2z2Y.png
A mod based on WCW Lives 2001 by Genadi & Mod Squad, with permission

kQkXx3V.png

Ever wanted to book one of the most potentially monumental years in wrestling history? Now you can! The rise of John Cena in WWE, the emergence of countless young talents through OVW who we now see as missed opportunities, the meteoric rise of TNA, the classic matches in ROH, the resurgence of NJPW following the unshackling of Inoki-ism and unleashing of Hiroshi Tanahashi, the must-be-seen-to-be-believed 30 minute Champion Carnival draws between Chuck Palumbo and Buchanan in AJPW, the rise to mega stardom of Mistico in CMLL, the revived popularity of wrestling in Britain - book it all your way or throw history to the wayside and build your own story.

Wrestling in 2005

Despite seeing a decline in business in recent years, WWE is still the undisputed top dog in the wrestling world and with both virtually limitless financial resources and a young roster absolutely stacked with talent, it's difficult to ever see them relinquishing that spot. Heading into Wrestlemania 21, there's a clear changing of the guard approaching with John Cena and Batista in the midst of huge pushes and challenging JBL and Triple H for the WWE and World Heavyweight titles. On top of this, Wrestlemania will see the first ever Money in the Bank ladder match with Edge, Christian and Shelton Benjamin having their first chance at potential main event success. Lower down the totem pole and waiting in developmental company OVW, WWE has potential stars like Carlito, Muhammad Hassan, Rene Dupree, John Hennigan, Bobby Lashley and Ken Anderson waiting in the wings. The talent is clearly there, but will WWE utilize it or will it be another story of wasted potential?

Elsewhere, TNA has emerged as the #2 promotion in the country and a viable alternative to WWE. Merging classic sports entertainment shenanagins with modern fast-paced wrestling in their patented X-Division, TNA has slotted into the void left by the death of WCW in 2001. They began producing monthly PPVs in November 2004 and have the popular iMPACT! TV show airing on FSN and with an extremely talented roster featuring "TNA originals" such as Samoa Joe, AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels mixing it up with established stars like Sting, Jeff Jarrett and Kevin Nash, the sky is the limit for TNA - if they can get their topsy-turvy booking under control.

Across the US, the influence and success of smaller, quicker and more technical wrestlers like Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit and Rey Mysterio has changed opinions on who can be successful in bigger companies and this is seen all across a thriving independent scene spearheaded by the red hot Ring of Honor. ROH has grown consistently since forming in 2002 and is lauded online and by wrestling journalists because of its constant quality matches with the likes of CM Punk, Bryan Danielson, Samoa Joe and Austin Aries. Whether they can keep their top stars from moving on is a big question, but if they can, ROH is ideally suited to the changing landscape of wrestling in America. Meanwhile, you have PWG merging wrestling talent with a wicked sense of humour, the ultraviolence of CZW and the unique characters and comedy of CHIKARA helping to round out a diverse and growing independent scene.

Over in Japan, NJPW have had several disappointing years under the leadership of Antonio Inoki, with his attempts to cash in on the MMA boom by inviting MMA fighters into the promotion to compete against and beat his top stars contributing to a decline in business. Despite this, crowds still flock to see New Japan shows and with a talented roster, some potential huge stars like Hiroshi Tanahashi and Shinsuke Nakamura rumblings that Inoki could sell the company he founded over 30 years prior, the pieces are in place for a big upswing in the years to come.

Meanwhile, NOAH have seen themselves rise to become arguably even bigger than New Japan, with their hard hitting and straight forward wrestling product attracting admirers even in the West. Despite the quality of their shows, there could be trouble ahead if their over reliance on ageing legendary rivals Mitsuharu Misawa and Kenta Kobashi stops them from building new stars to lead the company when the time comes.

AJPW has endured a torrid few years since the mass exodus of all of their native wrestlers to NOAH in 2000. Now under the control of Keiji Mutoh, they are firmly behind their two rivals and maybe even the wildcard promotion HUSTLE, which was created as an experiment to test the viability of sports entertainment in Japan and has thus far seen big success with its wacky cast of characters played by established stars of puroresu. While HUSTLE's numbers grow, AJPW's are dwindling and the legendary promotion could be in trouble if Mutoh's penchant for middling gaijin brawlers isn't put aside.

Starting Promotions
Red = Complete

USA

World Wrestling Entertainment
Total Nonstop Action Wrestling
Ring of Honor

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla
Combat Zone Wrestling
IWA Mid-South Wrestling
Jersey All Pro Wrestling
Ohio Valley Wrestling
East Coast Wrestling Association
NWA Cyberspace
Pro Pain Pro Wrestling
NWA Wildside
CHIKARA
Full Impact Pro
World Wrestling Council
IWA Puerto Rico

Canada

International Wrestling Syndicate
Border City Wrestling
Extreme Canadian Championship Wrestling
Stampede Wrestling

Mexico

Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre
Asistencia Asesoria y Administracion
Toryumon Mexico
International Wrestling Revolucion Grupo

Britain

Frontier Wrestling Alliance
All-Star Wrestling
Premier Promotions
NWA UK Hammerlock
International Pro Wrestling: UK
World Association of Wrestling
Irish Whip Wrestling

Japan

New Japan Pro-Wrestling
Pro Wrestling NOAH
All Japan Pro-Wrestling

HUSTLE
Pro Wrestling ZERO1-MAX
Dragon Gate
Big Japan Pro Wrestling
Dramatic Dream Team
Michinoku Pro-Wrestling
Osaka Pro Wrestling
All Japan Women's Pro-Wrestling
GAEA Japan
OZ Academy
BattlARTS

Europe

German Stampede Wrestling
German Wrestling Federation
Westside Xtreme Wrestling

Oceania

Explosive Pro Wrestling

• Like 16

Looks extremely interesting, and looks like you're putting a lot of effort into the tiny details (like title defences, for example) which I love. I can only echo Idolized and wish you luck, and if you need to take anything from Shifting Sands then you're more than welcome. :)

P.S - Great choice of skin. 😛

13 hours ago, Paxlux said:

Looks great so far! One of my favorite time periods. Do you plan for this mod to (eventually) go all the way up to modern day or is this going to be a short-term mod that only has a few years of content?

Eventually yeah, all the way to current day. I also plan on doing event schedules so that they have different shows going dormant and becoming active throughout the years to represent the changing schedules, but that will provably be something I leave until the final release and likely won't do at all for Japan just because if I did each company would have like 1000 events and it'll take my entire lifetime to input them all

12 hours ago, stratusfaction said:

Questlove, this looks amazing and I can not wait till it is released.

I do have a question though:

What's the worker count looking like? 

About 500 that I would consider "done" so far (although in depth job histories is something I won't get into until I've got more of the fundamentals done). Since I'm using WCW Lives as a base, there's a lot more that are essentially just placeholders until I get around to them.