AWA 1986: Saving Professional Wrestling

Hey quick couple of questions.

How long till the freebirds and warriors jump ship to nwa/wcw? This is around the same time they left after wrestlerock I think? Did you make sure to tie them to new contracts?

What exactly is stan Hansen's mood backstage right now? Have You done anything to make sure he doesn't run over the belt with his truck and leave for all Japan?

How is the pro wrestling usa alliance going right the now? Has Verne started passing off the other promoters yet?

8 hours ago, sonny912 said:

How long till the freebirds and warriors jump ship to nwa/wcw? This is around the same time they left after wrestlerock I think? Did you make sure to tie them to new contracts?

What exactly is stan Hansen's mood backstage right now? Have You done anything to make sure he doesn't run over the belt with his truck and leave for all Japan?

How is the pro wrestling usa alliance going right the now? Has Verne started passing off the other promoters yet?

When Super Clash 1 was held at old Comiskey Park in Chicago in Sept. '85, Verne used NWA, AWA and World Class guys.

The show drew over 20,000 fans (showing the AWA was still a strong draw at the time).

However, Verne Gagne, Jim Crockett and Jack Adkisson (Fritz Von Erich) had a dispute over the actual gate. Crockett put it at almost $300 grand. Adkisson estimated a gate of a quarter million and Gagne low-balled everyone saying it was $200,000.

My guess is that it was somewhere between the $250-$300K mark. Over 20,000 people and you say $200 grand... PFFFT!

This kind of stuff is largely why Pro Wrestling USA failed to maintain momentum. The promoters didn't trust each other on $$$.

Edited by piperrulz

1 hour ago, piperrulz said:

When Super Clash 1 was held at old Comiskey Park in Chicago in Sept. '85, Verne used NWA, AWA and World Class guys.

The show drew over 20,000 fans (showing the AWA was still a strong draw at the time).

However, Verne Gagne, Jim Crockett and Jack Adkisson (Fritz Von Erich) had a dispute over the actual gate. Crockett put it at almost $300 grand. Adkisson estimated a gate of a quarter million and Gagne low-balled everyone saying it was $200,000.

My guess is that it was somewhere between the $250-$300K mark. Over 20,000 people and you say $200 grand... PFFFT!

This kind of stuff is largely why Pro Wrestling USA failed to maintain momentum. The promoters didn't trust each other on $$$.

I heard it was because Verne was attempting to stealing talent from the other guys.

7 minutes ago, sonny912 said:

I heard it was because Verne was attempting to stealing talent from the other guys.

Actually, I think Verne was accusing David Crockett of trying to steal talent from the AWA.

10 hours ago, sonny912 said:

I'm trying to avoid locking down people unrealistically, because I like the challenge of running AWA as if it really was 1986, so if half my top names get stolen that's half the fun. Hansen, as a good example, is currently angry because he demanded a pay rise and I only gave him 50% of it. So there's a definitely possibility that he might run it over!

The mod doesn't include Pro Wrestling USA as an active alliance for a couple of reasons; a) you can't have promotions (i.e. JCP) in multiple alliances and b) because it was all but finished by the start of 1986 anyway. The remaining PWUSA shows were pretty much AWA shows rebranded (although Battlestar did include a few people from the NWA to be fair).

The next show will be up tonight or tomorrow; it's been far too hot to sit with a laptop over the past few days!

1 hour ago, jhd1 said:

Actually, I think Verne was accusing David Crockett of trying to steal talent from the AWA.

Oh okay.

1 hour ago, jhd1 said:

I'm trying to avoid locking down people unrealistically, because I like the challenge of running AWA as if it really was 1986, so if half my top names get stolen that's half the fun. Hansen, as a good example, is currently angry because he demanded a pay rise and I only gave him 50% of it. So there's a definitely possibility that he might run it over!

The mod doesn't include Pro Wrestling USA as an active alliance for a couple of reasons; a) you can't have promotions (i.e. JCP) in multiple alliances and b) because it was all but finished by the start of 1986 anyway. The remaining PWUSA shows were pretty much AWA shows rebranded (although Battlestar did include a few people from the NWA to be fair).

The next show will be up tonight or tomorrow; it's been far too hot to sit with a laptop over the past few days!

I think I know a way to appease Hansen, get new stars and create new storylines to get fans interested.

First off awa should have a working aggrement with all Japan around this time, use that so stan can work for both companies without problems as a talent exchange, That way you can also aquire the services of some of the guys that where on top during the 80's.

Jumbo tsuruta and genichiro tenryu were pretty much the aces of all japan at this time, jumbo was a former awa world champion himself who won it off of nick Bockwinkel after Hogan left only to drop to Rick Martel, and tenryu is so synonymous he's even called Mr pro wrestling by man fans, having either of them feud with stan over either the awa title and the triple crown would draw big numbers for both companies.

The Great kabuki was a recognizable name in the us and japan thanks to his work in wccw. Pairing him with akbar would help his current devastation Inc stable a big boost. You can also bring in other wccw alumni who akbar managed in the past like Kamala and the missing link.

Your light Heavyweight Championship is vacant and the only former title Steve Regal is currently tag teaming with Jimmy Garvin, bringing in some of the junior's like masanobu fuchi and kuniaki Kobayashi might help revitalize the division.

His fellow gaijin that he worked with like bruiser brody who was a frequent tag team partner with, the original shiek, abdullah the butcher, the Funk Brothers Terry and Dory Jr, tiger jeet Singh, all big names that Hansen had to have worked well with. And they can all fill all sorts of roles.

• Like 1

AWAAllStarWrestling.jpg

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING

• Aired on Syndication: Tuesday, Wk 2 January 1986 (0.05 rating) | Taped: Monday, Wk 2 January 1986
  • Held in Las Vegas, NV in front of 587 fans | Show Rating: 43
  • Announce Team: Ken Resnick & Ray Stevens

Marty Jannetty defeated Rick Gantner in an underwhelming, five minute contest [15]

Colonel DeBeers talked to Ken Resnick in a pre-recorded promo about his match with Sgt Slaughter. Colonel DeBeers said that as a fellow soldier he should probably respect the military accomplishments of Slaughter, but said that the US Army was an international embarrassment compared to that of the South African armed forces and, as such, his opinion of Slaughter was little more than his opinion of the worms in the garden. [42]

Nord the Barbarian (w/Sheik Adnan) defeated Jake Milliman in no time at all. [25]

Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissie talked up his army in a pre-recorded segment with Ken Resnick. Sheik Adnan said that no single group in wrestling could compete with his charges, Nord the Barbarian, The Mongolian Stomper and Boris Zhukov, and that 1986 was the year that the wrestling world would stand up and take notice. [36]

Earlier in the day, Greg Gagne and Scott LeDoux had enjoyed a sit-down interview with Larry Nelson. The topic of conversation was LeDoux’s ongoing in-ring training with Gagne, with both men feeling that the process was going well. LeDoux wasn’t ready to step in the ring yet but it wouldn’t be long! [35]

The Long Riders (Bill & Scott Irwin) defeated The Alaskans (Dave Wagner & Rick Renslow) in five minutes. Not even the size of Dave Wagner could stop Scott Irwin from hitting the Superplex for the win. [22]

Donna Gagne hosted her usual Ringside Report slot. Featured in the segment: Nick Bockwinkel and Larry Zbyszko’s contest in Chicago will apparently carry a one-hour time limit as Stanley Blackburn doesn’t want that one ending in a draw; Curt Hennig and Scott Hall’s title challenge against Jimmy Garvin and Steve Regal will apparently see Larry Hennig accompany them to the ring in an effort to combat any outside interference from Precious; and Sgt Slaughter will be greeting the Chicago VA hospital before the show next weekend. [43]

Despina Montagas and Sherri Martel defeated Debbie Combs and Joyce Grable to give the AWA World Women’s Champion Martel a solid victory heading into her title defence with Candi Devine in Chicago. All four women performed well, but Martel and Grable stood out in the contest. [34]

In a pre-recorded interview, Sgt Slaughter hyped Leon White as one of the toughest individuals in professional wrestling today. He told Ken Resnick that he’d been training with White ahead of his match with Colonel DeBeers this weekend and feels sure that the “Baby Bull” will go far. [61]

Leon White defeated Doug Somers in a solid contest. White used his power and size to great advantage, hitting the Powerbomb to win at 10:21. [38]

Card for the American Wrestling Association's upcoming show in Chicago, IL

Jerry Blackwell vs Boris Zhukov

Greg Gagne vs Michael Hayes

Candi Devine vs Sherri Martel © for the AWA World Women's Championship

Nord & The Stomper vs Road Warriors (Animal and Hawk)

Colonel DeBeers vs Sgt Slaughter © for the AWA America's Championship

Curt Hennig & Scott Hall vs Jimmy Garvin & Steve Regal © for the AWA World Tag Team Championships

Nick Bockwinkel vs Larry Zbyszko

On 6/18/2023 at 7:08 AM, jhd1 said:

Card for the American Wrestling Association's upcoming show in Chicago, IL

Curt Hennig & Scott Hall vs Jimmy Garvin & Steve Regal © for the AWA World Tag Team Championships

Nick Bockwinkel vs Larry Zbyszko = Time Limit Draw, kick rocks Blackburn

Nick Bockwinkel vs Larry Zbyszko

image.jpeg

AWA LIVE IN CHICAGO

• Held: Friday, Wk 2 January 1986
  • Held in Chicago, IL in front of 3,619 fans | Show Rating: 59

Boris Zhukov (w/Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissie) defeated Jerry Blackwell after interference from Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissie. Up to that point the physically larger Blackwell had been in charge for much of the contest. [42]

Greg Gagne defeated Michael Hayes (w/Buddy Roberts) by submission just before the 15 minute mark. Things were going well for Hayes until referee Marty Miller sent Buddy Roberts to the back for repeatedly climbing onto the apron. [49]

Candi Devine defeated Sherri Martel but failed to win the AWA World Women’s title after Martel intentionally had herself counted out. Devine and the fans may have celebrated, but Martel will be the happiest leaving the arena. [41]

The Road Warriors (Animal & Hawk) (w/Paul Ellering) defeated Nord the Barbarian and The Mongolian Stomper (w/Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissie) in a Chicago Street Fight. The contest itself featured some excellent brawling action but the fans didn’t seem to enjoy the brutality of the contest. [18]

Sgt Slaughter defeated Colonel DeBeers to retain his AWA America’s Championship. A great contest, DeBeers gave as good as he got for much of the contest but Sarge was just too good for the bad man from South Africa. [56]

Curt Hennig & Scott Hall (w/Larry Hennig) defeated Jimmy Garvin & Steve Regal (w/Precious) to win the AWA World Tag Team titles. Hennig and Hall looked a fantastic pairing and whilst Garvin and Regal know every trick in the book, having Larry “The Axe” at ringside definitely helped the challengers. Hennig hit Regal with the Fisherman’s Suplex to end this contest at 17:04. [53]

Larry Zbyszko defeated Nick Bockwinkel to end the show. Whilst Stanley Blackburn had ordered this one to have a one-hour time limit, it took just 14:39 for Zbyszko to topple the icon of the AWA. Not all was as it seemed however, with fans ringside claiming that Zbyszko used his nunchakus and a handful of tights to secure the three count on Bockwinkel. Young referee Gary DeRusha was none the wiser however, and despite the boos it was “The Living Legend” that came out on top. [63]

• Like 3

Sorry that one took a bit longer to get up! The write-up is deliberately quite short because it's a house show, but hopefully gives that classic dirt sheet flavour of what happened if you weren't in the Windy City! I knew as soon as the road agent complained about the street fight it was going to rate terribly, although I didn't expect an 18! Lesson learned there, I guess! The big surprise in ratings was Slaughter and DeBeers. DeBeers for me is going to be an anti-American heel rather than his real AWA gimmick, so expect to see him around after that rating.

The first two matches seem to have caught those predicting by surprise, but Zhukov's victory ties into a longer-term plan for the Sheik's Army. And for those expecting a Stanley Blackburn-esque twist to the Bockwinkel/Zbyszko match...this one's far from over!

Championship Wrestling will be up in a couple of days :)

• Like 3