AWA 1986: Saving Professional Wrestling

AWA.jpg

The American Wrestling Association: Saving Professional Wrestling

In 1986, the American Wrestling Association is at a turning point. They still have some of their biggest stars, including Nick Bockwinkel, Stan Hansen, Sgt Slaughter and Rick Martel. But the World Wrestling Federation is on the march, overrunning territory after territory as it changes the industry from sport to sports entertainment. In 1985 the AWA, CWA and NWA attempted to combine forces against Vince McMahon's juggernaut but Pro Wrestling USA was a failure. Can the AWA remain a force? Can Verne Gagne be convinced to move with the times? Will Greg Gagne ever become World Champion?!

Notes:

This diary uses the Wrestling Timelines: 1986 mod. As I'm creating the mod I obviously have a slightly more up-to-date dataset, so any changes to the game you are playing could well be to do with that. Most of my work on the mod is now focused on things like bios and alter-egos for debuted workers and adding more yet to debut workers so the diary won't be affected by updates (i.e. I won't need to start again for the beta because it'll not impact on my game much).

This will be pretty picture light; the purpose of the diary is to document the fun that I'm having playing the mod (now I can finally play it properly!) and to give people some ideas when they are playing the mod. I am therefore aiming to keep it short and sweet but regular to keep some momentum going. I might do pictures for the bigger events but I'm not promising anything!

• Like 7

AWA.jpg

American Wrestling Association Roster (January 1986)

Champions

• AWA World Champion: Stan Hansen (since December 1985)
  • AWA America's Champion: Sgt Slaughter (since June 1985)
  • AWA World Tag Team Champions: Jimmy Garvin & Steve Regal (since September 1985) 
  • AWA World Women's Champion: Sherri Martel (since September 1985)
  • AWA World Light Heavyweight Champion: Vacant (since January 1986)

Wrestlers

Major Stars

• Larry Zbyszko
  • Nick Bockwinkel
  • Sgt Slaughter
  • Stan Hansen
  • Verne Gagne

Stars

• Baron von Raschke
  • Greg Gagne
  • Jimmy Garvin
  • Ray Stevens
  • Rick Martel
  • Road Warrior Animal
  • Road Warrior Hawk

Well Known

• Candi Devine
  • Curt Hennig
  • Doug Somers
  • Jerry Blackwell
  • Nord the Barbarian
  • Scott Hall
  • Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissie
  • Sherri Martel
  • Steve Regal
  • The Mongolian Stomper

Recognisable

• Bill Irwin
  • Boris Zhukov
  • Brad Rheingans
  • Buddy Roberts
  • Joyce Grable
  • Leon White
  • Michael Hayes
  • Scott Irwin
  • Terry Gordy

Unimportant

• Chris Curtis
  • Colonel DeBeers
  • Dave Wagner
  • Debbie Combs
  • Despina Montagas
  • Earthquake Ferris
  • Jake Milliman
  • Kat LeRoux
  • Keith Eric
  • Kelly Kiniski
  • Marty Jannetty
  • Mike Richards
  • Misty Blue Simmes
  • Mr Magnificent Kevin Kelly
  • Rick Gantner
  • Rick Renslow
  • Shawn Michaels
  • Spike Jones
  • Steve Olsonoski

Teams and Stables

• Curt Hennig & Scott Hall
  • The Fabulous Freebirds (Buddy Roberts, Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy)
  • Jimmy Garvin & Steve Regal
  • Midnight Rockers (Marty Jannetty & Shawn Michaels)
  • Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens
  • Nord & The Stomper
  • Road Warriors (Animal & Hawk)
  • The Alaskans (Dave Wagner & Rick Renslow)
  • The Long Riders (Bill & Scott Irwin)

Staff

• Eric Bischoff (interviewer)
  • Ken Resnick (play-by-play announcer for AWA All-Star Wrestling and interviewer)
  • Larry Hennig (agent and legend)
  • Larry Nelson (interviewer)
  • Lee Marshall (interviewer)
  • Lord James Blears (colour commentator for AWA Championship Wrestling)
  • Paul Ellering (manager to the Road Warriors)
  • Precious (manager to Jimmy Garvin)
  • Ray Stevens (colour commentator for AWA All-Star Wrestling and agent)
  • Referees: Bob Warren, Gary DeRusha, Larry Lisowski, Marty Miller, Scott LeDoux and Steve Olsonoski
  • Rod Trongard (play-by-play announcer for AWA Championship Wrestling)
  • Stanley Blackburn (President of the AWA)
  • Verne Gagne (Owner of the AWA and agent)
  • Wally Karbo (Commissioner of the AWA)
  • Like 2

image.jpeg

AWA CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING

• Aired on ESPN: Monday, Wk 1 January 1986 (0.25 rating) | Taped: Monday, Wk 1 January 1986
  • Held in Minneapolis, MN in front of 1,100 fans | Show Rating: 61
  • Announce Team: Rod Trongard & Lord James Blear

The Gagnes, Verne, Greg and Donna, wish the fans of professional wrestling a happy new year and a wonderful 1986 to come! [50]

Larry Nelson interviewed Nick Bockwinkel in the centre of the ring. Bockwinkel focused much of the segment on the recent actions of a “cowardly” Larry Zbyszko, claiming that the self-proclaimed “Living Legend” is bringing the sport into disrepute with his ninja nonsense and cheating ways, even going so far to say that Zbyszko is casting a shadow over the company. [75]

Scott Hall (w/Curt Hennig) defeated Mike Richards in a one-sided match just past the five minute mark [33]

Scott Hall and Curt Hennig talked to Larry Nelson about their quest for the AWA World Tag Team titles. They said that next week’s house show in Chicago is going to be their best chance yet to win the gold. [48]

Sgt Slaughter defeated Spike Jones in a three minute squash match [50]

Nord the Barbarian the The Mongolian Stomper (w/Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissie) defeated The Alaskans (Dave Wagner & Rick Renslow) with very little trouble. [27]

Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissie got on the mic to tell Larry Nelson that Nord the Barbarian and The Mongolian Stomper are the most fearsome duo in professional wrestling. And his other charge, Boris Zhukov, will prove that he’s the greatest athlete to ever come out of the Soviet Union when he faces Earthquake Ferris next. [48]

Boris Zhukov defeated Earthquake Ferris in a less than stellar contest. Despite some early offence from Ferris, Zhukov’s cheating ways were enough to earn him the victory. [21]

Larry Zbyszko defeated Brad Rheingans in an excellent mat wrestling contest. The contest lasted fourteen minutes, giving both an opportunity to shine, but it was the “ninja” of the AWA that came out on top, locking in the LarryLand Dreamer on Rheingans to secure a submission victory. [63]

Larry Nelson headed back into the ring to speak to Larry Zbyszko. Larry said that if Nick Bockwinkel has a problem with him then he should tell him face-to-face like a man, not through some schmuck like Larry Nelson. And that’s all for this week, folks! [65]

• Like 4

I love the idea of doing Larry/Nick at some point. I'm pretty familiar with the AWA and oddly enough I love this time period of the AWA. I'm also here for people making fun of Larry Nelson (Love the guy). The roster is still pretty stacked in 86 looking forward to see how this goes. 

• Like 1

This is the pivotal year in the AWA.  Succeed and potentially survive, lose a ton of the young talent and not replace the aging vets and slowly fade away.  Good luck to surviving and bringing in some more fresh faces besides the ones like Curt, Hall, the Rockers and a few others.

I just remember the whole deal with Stan Hansen.  You had a big old hoss of a champion and he never really had a great title challenger.  I love Nick but he was over 50 and while he could still go he was not the guy that was going to lead the AWA.  Some many directions this could have went and if it was planned and promoted I believe Hansen despite his Baba deal would have done business.  So I’m really looking forward to seeing what you do.  I know where I would have gone with this roster as you show it

Edited by Theheel

9 minutes ago, Theheel said:

This is the pivotal year in the AWA.  Succeed and potentially survive, lose a ton of the young talent and not replace the aging vets and slowly fade away.  Good luck to surviving and bringing in some more fresh faces besides the ones like Curt, Hall, the Rockers and a few others.

I just remember the whole deal with Stan Hansen.  You had a big old hoss of a champion and he never really had a great title challenger.  I love Nick but he was over 50 and while he could still go he was not the guy that was going to lead the AWA.  Some many directions this could have went and if it was planned and promoted I believe Hansen despite his Baba deal would have done business.  So I’m really looking forward to seeing what you do.  I know where I would have gone with this roster as you show it

I agree with everything you said. The have Scott Hall, Curt Hennig, The Midnight Rockers, Larry Z and Nick still have a place on the card. Rick Martel, Slaughter, I'm missing a ton but there is a core and a lot of them are young. I also agree that Nick is not the guy nor Larry to lead them into the 90's but I think that Nick and Larry is a dream match in its own right and Nick and Larry both have enough credibility to make the younger stars. Looking at this do you go Scott Hall as the next Hulk Hogan as he was early on in his career tried to be pushed as. Do you go Curt. Do you go someone else in general as "the guy". 

I would also say that a lot of times when we're fantasy booking WWF, JCP or the bigger promotions they have decades of future history so either we feel like we've seen all that play out, or there is nothing new to add to it or whatever. With the AWA though nobody is saying "man remember that big feud in the AWA in 89" so its wide open what to do from here. Really good roster though looking forward to seeing what direction it takes. 

Oh hell yeah!  The AWA is already a blast to play in your mod, love to see where you take it here!

The great up-and-coming talent is really well-modeled here and most of the wrestlers Verne was trying to pivot to are worth pivoting to.  Maybe the most earnest thing that Verne Gagne said in The Spectacular Legacy of the AWA was "I just couldn't make talent quick enough."  He was right—by the end he was tossing the tag straps on DJ Peterson and The Trooper—which makes it all the more satisfying to book alt-history AWA.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jhd1 said:

AWA.jpg

American Wrestling Association Roster (January 1986)

Champions

• AWA World Champion: Stan Hansen (since December 1985)
  • AWA America's Champion: Sgt Slaughter (since June 1985)
  • AWA World Tag Team Champions: Jimmy Garvin & Steve Regal (since September 1985) 
  • AWA World Women's Champion: Sherri Martel (since September 1985)
  • AWA World Light Heavyweight Champion: Vacant (since January 1986)

Wrestlers

Major Stars

• Larry Zbyszko
  • Nick Bockwinkel
  • Sgt Slaughter
  • Stan Hansen
  • Verne Gagne

Stars

• Baron von Raschke
  • Greg Gagne
  • Jimmy Garvin
  • Ray Stevens
  • Rick Martel
  • Road Warrior Animal
  • Road Warrior Hawk

Well Known

• Candi Devine
  • Curt Hennig
  • Doug Somers
  • Jerry Blackwell
  • Nord the Barbarian
  • Scott Hall
  • Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissie
  • Sherri Martel
  • Steve Regal
  • The Mongolian Stomper

Recognisable

• Bill Irwin
  • Boris Zhukov
  • Brad Rheingans
  • Buddy Roberts
  • Joyce Grable
  • Leon White
  • Michael Hayes
  • Scott Irwin
  • Terry Gordy

Unimportant

• Chris Curtis
  • Colonel DeBeers
  • Dave Wagner
  • Debbie Combs
  • Despina Montagas
  • Earthquake Ferris
  • Jake Milliman
  • Kat LeRoux
  • Keith Eric
  • Kelly Kiniski
  • Marty Jannetty
  • Mike Richards
  • Misty Blue Simmes
  • Mr Magnificent Kevin Kelly
  • Rick Gantner
  • Rick Renslow
  • Shawn Michaels
  • Spike Jones
  • Steve Olsonoski

Teams and Stables

• Curt Hennig & Scott Hall
  • The Fabulous Freebirds (Buddy Roberts, Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy)
  • Jimmy Garvin & Steve Regal
  • Midnight Rockers (Marty Jannetty & Shawn Michaels)
  • Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens
  • Nord & The Stomper
  • Road Warriors (Animal & Hawk)
  • The Alaskans (Dave Wagner & Rick Renslow)
  • The Long Riders (Bill & Scott Irwin)

Staff

• Eric Bischoff (interviewer)
  • Ken Resnick (play-by-play announcer for AWA All-Star Wrestling and interviewer)
  • Larry Hennig (agent and legend)
  • Larry Nelson (interviewer)
  • Lee Marshall (interviewer)
  • Lord James Blears (colour commentator for AWA Championship Wrestling)
  • Paul Ellering (manager to the Road Warriors)
  • Precious (manager to Jimmy Garvin)
  • Ray Stevens (colour commentator for AWA All-Star Wrestling and agent)
  • Referees: Bob Warren, Gary DeRusha, Larry Lisowski, Marty Miller, Scott LeDoux and Steve Olsonoski
  • Rod Trongard (play-by-play announcer for AWA Championship Wrestling)
  • Stanley Blackburn (President of the AWA)
  • Verne Gagne (Owner of the AWA and agent)
  • Wally Karbo (Commissioner of the AWA)

You have Bockwinkel as a face? I never watched awa programming  but I thought nick was the promotions top heel.

33 minutes ago, sonny912 said:

You have Bockwinkel as a face? I never watched awa programming  but I thought nick was the promotions top heel.

Nick Bockwinkel turned face a couple of months before the mod's start; he saved Greg Gagne from Larry Zbyszko and started feuding with Zbyszko.  But you're right, Bockwinkel was a heel before then, stretching all the way back to his debut at the end of 1970!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, yuanshu said:

Nick Bockwinkel turned face a couple of months before the mod's start; he saved Greg Gagne from Larry Zbyszko and started feuding with Zbyszko.  But you're right, Bockwinkel was a heel before then, stretching all the way back to his debut at the end of 1970!

That was the US version of Bockwinkel's turn angle.  In Canada, because Greg Gagne had stopped appearing in Winnipeg by about mid-1985, an alternate version of the turn had to be done where Mad Dog Vachon chose Bockwinkel as his tag team partner vs. Boris Zhukov and Chris Markoff at a Winnipeg Arena show and Zbyszko objected to the idea of Bock and Mad Dog teaming, leading to Zbyszko attacking Bock at a Winnipeg TV taping that followed the arena show soon after.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Old School Fan said:

That was the US version of Bockwinkel's turn angle.  In Canada, because Greg Gagne had stopped appearing in Winnipeg by about mid-1985, an alternate version of the turn had to be done where Mad Dog Vachon chose Bockwinkel as his tag team partner vs. Boris Zhukov and Chris Markoff at a Winnipeg Arena show and Zbyszko objected to the idea of Bock and Mad Dog teaming, leading to Zbyszko attacking Bock at a Winnipeg TV taping that followed the arena show soon after.

Thank you for bringing that up!  I knew he had a separate turn in Winnipeg, but I didn't know about the angle with Mad Dog, that sounds awesome.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Old School Fan said:

Love learning new stuff.  Had no idea there was a separate face turn in Canada.  Thanks for sharing that.

Bockwinkel was a tremendous heel for the majority of his career.  He was a smooth technician in the ring and a silver tongue devil on the mic.  I always enjoyed the heels who never got to over crazy (aka shouting) on the mic.  Nick (Arn Anderson was another) just spoke calmly and rationally how they would take care of their opponents who foolishly would dare step into the ring with them.  Promos are a lost art in wrestling today because most ”superstars” are not good actors with scripted dIalogue.  Wrestlers did promos not some writers idea of a “good” script.  Imo Bock is hugely underrated by a lot of people.

• Like 1

AWAAllStarWrestling.jpg

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING

• Aired on Syndication: Tuesday, Wk 1 January 1986 (0.05 rating) | Taped: Monday, Wk 1 January 1986
  • Held in Minneapolis, MN in front of 1,100 fans | Show Rating: 51
  • Announce Team: Ken Resnick & Ray Stevens

Colonel DeBeers defeated Marty Jannetty in an even opening contest. The man from South Africa came out on top after a pinfall at 6:50. [36]

In a pre-recorded interview with Ken Resnick, Colonel DeBeers talked down the fans of the AWA, the management of the AWA and the competitors of the AWA, claiming that coming from South Africa he is embarrassed by the level of competition here in America. [49]

“Mr Magnificent” Kevin Kelly defeated Mike Richards in an uninteresting and one-sided affair. [10]

Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissie and Nord the Barbarian and The Mongolian Stomper appeared in a pre-recorded video. Adnan said that he’d heard that the Road Warriors thought they were the toughest duo in the AWA, well not any more. In the Road Warrior’s hometown of Chicago, the Sheik’s Army was going to end the careers of Hawk and Animal. [51]

Sherri Martel and Candi Devine traded pre-recorded promos, both seeking to come out on top in their upcoming AWA World Women’s title match. [48]

Doug Somers defeated second-generation grappler Kelly Kiniski in just over five minutes. Kiniski got in some offence, but Somers never looked like losing. [31]

Donna Gagne hosted her usual Ringside Report slot. Featured in the segment: Sgt Slaughter’s AWA American title will be on the line in Chicago against the South African agitator Colonel DeBeers; on the same show, Larry Zbyszko and Nick Bockwinkel will go face-to-face; and the Road Warriors’ manager Paul Ellering has confirmed that they have accepted the challenge laid down for them by Sheik Adnan to face Nord the Barbarian and The Mongolian Stomper in their hometown…but it’ll be a Chicago Street Fight! [62]

Road Warriors (Animal and Hawk) (w/Paul Ellering) defeated Chris Curtis and Keith Eric in just over three minutes. [37]

Earlier in the day Ken Resnick interviewed Rick Martel and Greg Gagne about the state of the AWA and their match tonight the Long Riders. Martel and Gagne put each other over, but when asked if their teaming would become a regular thing they claimed that they each had their individual goals for 1986 but would watch each other’s backs. [57]

Greg Gagne and Rick Martel defeated The Long Riders despite their opponents’ greater experience as a duo. The tough brawling Long Riders looked good early on, but the mat knowledge of Gagne and Martel gave them the upper hand. This one was over at 9:10. [50]

• Like 2

22 hours ago, yuanshu said:

The great up-and-coming talent is really well-modeled here and most of the wrestlers Verne was trying to pivot to are worth pivoting to.  Maybe the most earnest thing that Verne Gagne said in The Spectacular Legacy of the AWA was "I just couldn't make talent quick enough."  He was right—by the end he was tossing the tag straps on DJ Peterson and The Trooper—which makes it all the more satisfying to book alt-history AWA.

To be fair, letting guys like Hulk Hogan (1) and Bobby Heenan, among others, go to the WWF (which had the advantage of being located in New York City, the largest city and one of the media capitals of the United States, with the headquarters of the Big 3 networks located in the city) didn't help Verne, either.

Hope the AWA survives longer here...

(1) Here's a tip, Verne:  when the crowd at Super Sunday in 1983 almost literally rioted over Hogan not being given the title, that's a clue that you need to put it on him!!!  Oh, and you shouldn't have tried to get a share of Hogan's Japan merch sales, too, in addition to not giving Hogan a share of the merch sales the AWA was making off him.

Say what you will about Vince McMahon, Jr., but he knew how to market Hogan to the public...

Edited by Lord Byron

You know if Gagne needs more talent maybe he can work a deal with stu hart.

Around this time mcmahon sold him back the stampede wrestling promotion and put Bruce Hart at the helm as booker, with talent the likes of Owen Hart, Brian pillman, Chris Benoit, Biff Wellington, Johnny smith, Gama Singh and his Karachi vice stable consisting of shinya hashimoto, Gary Albright, Mike Shaw, Hiroshi hase and the Monster Ripper bertha Faye.

A partnership or even a merger between both promotions would be quite beneficial to both Gagne and the hart's, with stampede having exclusive access to top American stars getting more people watching their shows and awa essentially having first dibs on graduates of the Hart Family dungeon which is known for producing some of the best in ring Generals and technical grapplers, including those mentioned above that means that guys like greg Valentine, bad news Allen coage, Justin thunder liger, Ricky fuji, chris Jericho, lance storm, Justin credible, edge, christian,Christian, Mark Henry, Natalya neidhart, Ken Shamrock, Billy Jack haynes, Jake roberts, Junkyard Dog, Masahiro chono, Nicolai volkoff, Roddy piper, Steve blackman, Tyson kidd, Tyler mane and Viktor of the ascension could be potential members of your roster down the line. (I know some of them are already part of either wccw, jcp or wwf right now but if Vince can poach talent then why not you?)

• Thanks 1

Do you know, I hadn't considered a joining of forces with Stampede (or a talent raid, alternatively). That said, I love Karachi Vice, particularly at its silliest with Johnny Smith and Steve DiSalvo wandering around in turbans for no apparent reason. It's fun playing as a company like the AWA, because my roster wishlist is a lot better in the ring than I would normally opt for in a company like the WWF with less of a focus on mic skills. Greg Valentine is a great shout; the likes of Tito Santana and Ron Garvin are also potential hires. There's also such a plethora of territorial talent in 1986 that I could end up with. I am trying to keep it as realistic as possible as I can, albeit my booking of Championship Wrestling occasionally ends up with a stronger semi-main event than would normally be the case but its for storyline purposes rather than ratings (my product is set to be Main Event Spotlight). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jhd1 said:

Do you know, I hadn't considered a joining of forces with Stampede (or a talent raid, alternatively). That said, I love Karachi Vice, particularly at its silliest with Johnny Smith and Steve DiSalvo wandering around in turbans for no apparent reason. It's fun playing as a company like the AWA, because my roster wishlist is a lot better in the ring than I would normally opt for in a company like the WWF with less of a focus on mic skills. Greg Valentine is a great shout; the likes of Tito Santana and Ron Garvin are also potential hires. There's also such a plethora of territorial talent in 1986 that I could end up with. I am trying to keep it as realistic as possible as I can, albeit my booking of Championship Wrestling occasionally ends up with a stronger semi-main event than would normally be the case but its for storyline purposes rather than ratings (my product is set to be Main Event Spotlight). 

I'll take your word for it cause I haven't watched any stampede wrestling either, I justdid some research on wikipedia.

Santana and Valentine would make for good workers for the upper mid card but for Ron Garvin I'm not so sure. His run as nwa champion is not so fondly remembered and I don't think he really anything during his time in wwf. Would he be an ally to the freebirds due to his relationship with Jimmy jam or would they feud against each other?

Leon white is Vader right? If so then he should definitely be built up as the monster heel of the promotion. Have him beat the shit out of Slaughter in brutal fashion like he did to inoki and take the America's title. Speaking of Slaughter he's currently your most recgonizeable face thank's to g.i. joe so you should make him your new figurehead.

For other places to do some raiding I recommend looking back at the freebirds home turf, bill watts's mid-south/uwf. Having guys like shane Douglas, the steiner's who are Minnesota natives, Dr death steve Williams, hot stuff Eddie gilbert, Terry Taylor, Chris adams, and of course THE MAN CALLED STING! Other recommendations include Ted Dibiase, Missy Hyatt, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, big bossman Bubba rogers, Nikita koloff, Barry Windham, Jim Ross, members of the armstrong family like Brad and road Dogg Brian and the bushwackers or sheepherders.

It’s January 1986 and the name I’ll bring up competed at WrestleRock 86 and had just left the WWF at the end of 85.  I’ve got 2 words for you……Barry Windham.  Barry was a great babyface and a smooth worker at the time.  He’s had great matches with Flair when he was in Florida which is where he was after leaving the WWF.  Magnum is tearing up the Carolina’s and while he would be fun it’s not realistic that he would leave the JCP at the start of 86.  That would be my #1 target as a babyface.  Building up Windham to be by the summer taking on Stan the Lariat Hanson and winning the AWA World title.  

just my Booker hat as I held Windham in high regard for his talent (too bad he had the rep as unreliable back then). But that said, I look forward to where you go with this diary!

8 hours ago, sonny912 said:

I'll take your word for it cause I haven't watched any stampede wrestling either, I justdid some research on wikipedia.

Santana and Valentine would make for good workers for the upper mid card but for Ron Garvin I'm not so sure. His run as nwa champion is not so fondly remembered and I don't think he really anything during his time in wwf. Would he be an ally to the freebirds due to his relationship with Jimmy jam or would they feud against each other?

Leon white is Vader right? If so then he should definitely be built up as the monster heel of the promotion. Have him beat the shit out of Slaughter in brutal fashion like he did to inoki and take the America's title. Speaking of Slaughter he's currently your most recgonizeable face thank's to g.i. joe so you should make him your new figurehead.

For other places to do some raiding I recommend looking back at the freebirds home turf, bill watts's mid-south/uwf. Having guys like shane Douglas, the steiner's who are Minnesota natives, Dr death steve Williams, hot stuff Eddie gilbert, Terry Taylor, Chris adams, and of course THE MAN CALLED STING! Other recommendations include Ted Dibiase, Missy Hyatt, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, big bossman Bubba rogers, Nikita koloff, Barry Windham, Jim Ross, members of the armstrong family like Brad and road Dogg Brian and the bushwackers or sheepherders.

Garvin was only ever going to be a transitional NWA Champion, but he was a pretty big name in Baltimore at the time (for whatever reason). I always think he's a better fit for the AWA at this time although he's definitely not a main eventer with the talent above him (he did wrestle briefly for the AWA in 1988). At this point in time the Freebirds doesn't officially include Jimmy Garvin, that's usually considered to have started in 1989 although they were allies as you say.

Leon White is Vader, correct. He was pushed as a babyface at this point in his career for reasons that only Verne Gagne can explain. He'll definitely turn heel at some point though.

Good recommendations too (and Barry Windham is a great shout from @Theheel, particularly as I've been running a CWF game as well). Let's see who turns up!

• Like 1

image.jpeg

AWA CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING

• Aired on ESPN: Monday, Wk 2 January 1986 (0.23 rating) | Taped: Monday, Wk 2 January 1986
  • Held in Las Vegas, NV in front of 587 fans | Show Rating: 57
  • Announce Team: Rod Trongard & Lord James Blear

Terry Gordy (w/Michael Hayes and Buddy Roberts) defeated Steve Olsonoski in a match he completely dominated. [39]

Michael Hayes and Buddy Roberts joined Terry in the ring for an interview with Larry Nelson. Hayes and Gordy do the talking, claiming that whether it’s Minneapolis, Las Vegas or Tokyo, Japan, everywhere that the Freebirds go it’s going to be Badstreet for their opponents! [39]

Jerry Blackwell defeated Spike Jones in a fairly one-sided contest. Spike Jones may be unusually large for an enhancement talent, but he couldn’t make that count against the equally large and more experienced Blackwell. [34]

Jerry Blackwell grabbed a microphone from Larry Nelson and proceeded to claim that Boris Zhukov had disrespected him last year and now was the time to do something about it. At the upcoming show in Chicago, Blackwell would be teaching the Soviet Zhukov a lesson in American justice. [29]

Pre-recorded interviews may not be the norm on Championship Wrestling, but we got two from the Road Warriors and Paul Ellering and the Sheik’s Army tonight. The Road Warriors, dressed in street clothes, told Sheik Adnan to ring an ambulance in advance, because come Chicago there was going to be a bloodbath. Sheik Adnan, on the other hand, told the Road Warriors that he’d been around the block more than once and he knew when a team was all talk and no walk. [49]

Jimmy Garvin (w/Precious) defeated Shawn Michaels. The young Michaels looked good but wasn’t able to secure the victory against the more experienced tag team champion. [43]

Steve Regal joined Jimmy Garvin in the ring as they spoke to Larry Nelson. They said that the AWA World Tag Team titles were theirs to stay and offered a chance for Curt Hennig and Scott Hall to walk away without getting hurt in Chicago. Hall and Hennig came to the ring and declined the offer from Regal and Garvin, stating that nothing would make them happier than finally shutting Garvin up. [46]

Stan Hansen and The Long Riders defeated Nick Bockwinkel, Ray Stevens and Baron von Raschke in a close-fought contest. Stan Hansen looked great in this match, although it was the cheating of the Long Riders, and a distraction from Larry Zbyszko, that ended up securing him the victory. [63]

When the ring had cleared, Nick Bockwinkel and Ray Stevens spoke to Larry Nelson about the recent actions of Larry Zbsyzko. Stevens said he’d be in the corner of Bockwinkel this weekend in Chicago to make sure that no funny business took place. Larry Nelson sent us back to Rod Trongard to finish off the night. [62]

• Like 3

I'm not going to run a prediction contest as such, but people can predict on the house shows and big events; I'll put up the cards a few days before I intend to post. I've got one All-Star Wrestling to post before the first house show (the oft-referred to show in Chicago).

I've also noticed that the shows get progressively more detailed as I go along. It's likely by virtue of their being more context from my own booking and because I'm getting into the swing of things, so if it reads a little thin at the minute it does bulk out a bit. Not massively, mind you, it's still very quick to write and easy to read so don't worry you're going to end up with a tome by the time we get to WrestleRock!

• Like 1

On 6/11/2023 at 7:39 AM, jhd1 said:

I'm not going to run a prediction contest as such, but people can predict on the house shows and big events; I'll put up the cards a few days before I intend to post. I've got one All-Star Wrestling to post before the first house show (the oft-referred to show in Chicago).

No worries, saving predictions for the big events is part of what makes the whole thing fun (well, that and the comments on the events).  😁