Modern Japan Pro Wrestling [CVerse 2017]

ModernJapanLogos.png.b05f3a355d06055330fb9b18cc95651b.png

Modern Japan Merger Shocks Wrestling World!

January 21, 2017

There’s a new powerhouse in Japanese professional wrestling. Just one month after the closure of Warrior Engine XXV, former owner Ryu Kajahara joined Gold Canvas Grappling CEO Haruki Kudo, World Level Wrestling’s Koji Kojima and, most surprisingly of all, EXODUS 2010’s Yoshi Oshiro, at a press conference to announce that all four companies are merging to create a new super-promotion.

Modern Japan Pro Wrestling (MJPW) marks the end of the polarizing movement the company takes its name from. The Modern Japan Movement’s attempt to revolutionize Japanese wrestling seemed to have failed, with WEXXV declaring bankruptcy in December 2016, and GCG close to meeting the same fate, recently pulling in audiences of 200 in cities they used to draw upwards of 20,000. WLW, although the largest member of the movement, was rumored to be in debt. And yet these three companies with finances in the negatives have somehow managed to pool together the resources to create this new venture. It is suspected that the significant, albeit mysterious, financial muscle of EXODUS was crucial in the completion of this merger.

While Kajahara, Kojima and Kudo all spoke enthusiastically at the press conference, EXODUS’s Yoshi Oshiro chose to stand quietly in the shadow of his three partners. It isn’t clear who the actual head of MJPW is at this time, but there must be significant backing from private investors to pull off a merger of this magnitude.

Another mystery is the final roster of this new promotion. Though not a single name has yet been confirmed for the new roster, when speaking to the press Kajahara assured fans that MJPW will feature among the best of all four companies as they come together to compete under one banner.

With their debut show announced for the second weekend of February, we’ll soon see if MJPW will truly revolutionize Japanese pro wrestling, or if this latest venture will be counted alongside the many failures of the Modern Japan Movement.

• Like 9

19 hours ago, sonny912 said:

An Interesting project, but If only the best of the 4 companies will remain what happens to the rest? Do they get released or will they have a development company to keep them?

I've prioritized people who were loyal to 1 of the 4 original companies, but not everyone will make the cut. More info on the roster coming soon.

19 hours ago, willr0ck said:

Clearly there can be one man, and one man only that should be annointed leader, and that man is none other than Ryu Kajahara. For he is the single greatest mind in the wrestling business!

I can't guarantee there will be any exploding-ring-barbed-wire-rope-electic-deathmatches. Sorry if that's a deal breaker.

Modern Japan Supershow Card Announced + Walkouts and Injuries Taint Debut Show

The card for MJPW’s first ever show has finally been announced, giving fans an extensive look into the final roster of the new promotion. The 'Modern Japan Supershow' will hold inter-promotional matches between alumni of the four merging companies, as well as two major title bouts to farewell the lineage of two of Japan’s most prestigious championships. Fans will also notice the absence of several key names, as a number of talent has chosen not to sign with MJPW. While a few have parted ways in a respectful manner, some of these walkouts have been less than amicable…

Burning EXILE's Backstage Blowup!

Furious with the announced merger, former EXODUS figurehead Burning EXILE has made it clear he will not be joining MJPW. Taking to social media with an expletive filled rant, EXILE’s public meltdown follows rumours of a one-sided backstage blowup between the junior heavyweight and former EX2010 CEO Yoshi Oshiro. Several other EXODUS alumni have said they will not be joining the new company either. Most notably among them, rising star Masao Tsubouchi has said he is grateful to Oshiro for giving him the opportunity to work for EXODUS, but now he is looking to take his career in another direction.

BHOTWG poach Emerald Angel, Furusawa to PGHW

MJPW will miss the talents of two of Japan’s most gifted stars. WLW great Emerald Angel has chosen to sign with industry juggernaut BHOTWG. Angel is set to debut this month at Warrior Globe as part of the Burning Hammer junior division.

Ever the traditionalist, legacy talent Mabuchi Furusawa will put his skills to use in PGHW, adding new life to a company currently plagued by injuries and an aging roster.

Hiroyasu Gakusha Out for Modern Japan Supershow

A major confirmed signing will also be missing from MJPW's debut show. Hiroyasu Gakusha recently underwent surgery to repair a torn ACL he suffered at the last ever GCG show. No estimated return date has been given, but in the meantime, MJPW will have to forge ahead without one of their top stars.

Card for Modern Japan Supershow

The last ever GCG World Heavyweight Title match

SUKI [C] vs. Takayuki 2000

Champion vs. Champion (Non-Title)

Tsuneyo Yanagimoto vs. Americana

EXODUS World Junior Heavyweight Champion vs. WLW Modern Japan Champion

Champions vs. Champions (Non-Title)

Infamy Inc. (Masa Kurata & Nichiren Amagawa) vs. HUSTLE-X (Shirai Yanagawa & Pretty Okakura)

WLW Tag Team Champions vs. EXODUS World Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champions

??? vs. Eagle Kawasawa

Toshiharu Hyobanshi, Kiminobu Kuroki & Namboku Makuda vs. Kuniyoshi Kawamura, Toyokuni Hardcore & Tatsukichi Shichirobei

The last ever WLW Universal Title match

Magnum Kobe [C] vs. The Great Hisato

Orange Tsuchie vs. Koichi Kajiwara

Dean Daniels & Greg Gauge vs. Brothers in Vengeance (Hiroshi Morisue & Battle Sakata)

GCG World Heavyweight Tag Team Champions vs. WEXXV Blood Brothers Champions

WLW vs. GCG vs. WEXXV vs. EX2010

Reaver vs. Lion Genji vs. Taheji Konoe vs. Kuemon Hotta

Edited by GreatreDRagon
  • Like 1

The last ever GCG World Heavyweight Title match: SUKI [C] vs. Takayuki 2000 but this is really balanced imho

Champion vs. Champion (Non-Title): Tsuneyo Yanagimoto vs. Americana

Champions vs. Champions (Non-Title): Infamy Inc. (Masa Kurata & Nichiren Amagawa) vs. HUSTLE-X (Shirai Yanagawa & Pretty Okakura)

??? vs. Eagle Kawasawa

Toshiharu Hyobanshi, Kiminobu Kuroki & Namboku Makuda vs. Kuniyoshi Kawamura, Toyokuni Hardcore & Tatsukichi Shichirobei

The last ever WLW Universal Title match: Magnum Kobe [C] vs. The Great Hisato

Champions vs. Champions (Non-Title): Dean Daniels & Greg Gauge vs. Brothers in Vengeance (Hiroshi Morisue & Battle Sakata)

Reaver vs. Lion Genji vs. Taheji Konoe vs. Kuemon Hotta just to give WEXXV's guys a victory

Also, not having Burning EXILE as part of the promotion is a huge W, man always create problems lol

• Like 1

Infamy Inc. (Masa Kurata & Nichiren Amagawa) vs. HUSTLE-X (Shirai Yanagawa & Pretty Okakura)

??? vs. Eagle Kawasawa

Dean Daniels & Greg Gauge vs. Brothers in Vengeance (Hiroshi Morisue & Battle Sakata)

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 5:12 PM, GreatreDRagon said:

I've prioritized people who were loyal to 1 of the 4 original companies, but not everyone will make the cut. More info on the roster coming soon.

I can't guarantee there will be any exploding-ring-barbed-wire-rope-electic-deathmatches. Sorry if that's a deal breaker.

There should always be room for an exploding-ring-barbed-wire-rope-electric-deathmatch! Just do the AEW version if you're guys don't want to do high risk stuff!

2 hours ago, willr0ck said:

There should always be room for an exploding-ring-barbed-wire-rope-electric-deathmatch! Just do the AEW version if you're guys don't want to do high risk stuff!

We're any of the companies involved in this merger known for hardcore stuff? I only know so much about the c-verse.

Given the extreme scenario of a four company merger, I think it makes sense to not just slam all the champs against each other to crown new ones - if you are thinking about it realistically, you have to try and bring four different fanbases to your product, and you are bound to lose some who would be discontent with losing their home promotion. It makes more sense to me to give all the promotions and prestigious titles one last "hurrah" before the fans before simplifying things under one banner.

I know very little about GCG but based on the fact that Takayuki 2k is in the Golden Army and SUKI is in BCG in the modern data, I think Takayuki was more likely the last big face of GCG before they folded. I give the win to him to go out with the title in the last ever match contested over it.

Yanagimoto was the ace of EXODUS, while Americana was a midcard champ in WLW. Makes more sense to put the EXODUS ace over if you are trying to bring all the companies together on relatively equal footing.

No logic behind this choice other than the fact that I have used both Masa Kurata and Nichiren Amagawa in different long term saves and I'm a big fan of both of them. Also evens up the series between WLW and EXODUS 1-1.

??? vs. Eagle Kawasawa

I'm assuming that ??? is a big deal signing based on his opponent and the context of the formation of MJPW, sure to win this one.

Similar to my previous comment w/Kurata and Amagawa, Toshiharu Hyobanshi is a guy who I signed in my 2020 game and he's absolutely incredible, strap the rocket to him while he's not in decline.

Same logic as the GCG match for opposite reasons. In Cverse canon Kobe jumped ship from WLW and he's typically been a heel as much as I know of him, so I'm expecting him to win and deny Hisato the same moment that Takayuki got earlier.

I know Orange Tsuchie is great, while I have 0 idea who Koichi Kajiwara is.

The very little I know of WEXXV is from FINisher's diaries. AFAIK Hiroshi Morisue is basically the ace of WEXXV, right? Gauge is a perfect pin eater here, and WEXXV need at least one win on this card.

Doubling down on WEXXV for these two matches, because I think they walk out with one of them. Of the four in this match, I could see Reaver notching the win too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sonny912 said:

We're any of the companies involved in this merger known for hardcore stuff? I only know so much about the c-verse.

Warrior Engine XXV (WEXXV) - Hardcore promotion

Gold Canvas Grappling (GCG) - Traditional Japanese promotion

World Level Wrestling (WLW) - Fusion of puroresu and lucha

EXODUS 2010 (EX2010) - Exclusively Junior Heavyweights/Lightweights and under

I know very little about these, I'm more familiar with Takayuki 2000 though, but I'll stick to the champion.

Tsuneyo Yanagimoto is fantastic, he should be one of the faces of MJPW.

This is a super match in my opinion. I like Hustle-X very much, but WLW can't lose against EXODUS again.

??? vs. Eagle Kawasawa

One for WEXXV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreatreDRagon said:

Warrior Engine XXV (WEXXV) - Hardcore promotion

Gold Canvas Grappling (GCG) - Traditional Japanese promotion

World Level Wrestling (WLW) - Fusion of puroresu and lucha

EXODUS 2010 (EX2010) - Exclusively Junior Heavyweights/Lightweights and under

Thanks.

Saturday, Week 2, February 2017

Modern Japan Supershow

ModernJapan.jpg.de438fc04f59cced5ab5231e85316432.jpg

ANGLE: Last Minute Changes

IseiDeushi.jpg.c50533135b20ab441a706aa3ce4c0514.jpgTakaKajiwara.jpg.42f02628b640f46068107cc864843c84.jpgRyuKajahara.jpg.5c45ecda4c15b7ef2dd8bb3296b0d398.jpg

Commentary Team: Isei Deushi, Taka Kajiwara, Ryu Kajahara

Before the first match of the night starts, commentary informs us that both Lion Genji and Taheiji Konoe have been pulled from the match. Eagle Kawasawa and Eiichi Umehara replace their fellow GCG and WEXXV fighters. Kawasawa’s singles bout scheduled for later tonight has been cancelled. The reason for these changes is currently unknown but commentary say they will update us as more information emerges.

Reaver vs. Eagle Kawasawa vs. Eiichi Umehara vs. Kuemon Hotta

Reaver.jpg.4f9d2b45e42bf7013532a299dfbf0bee.jpgVersus.png.b33f5a72ffdf1d48758dcf38db6b4878.pngEagleKawasawa.jpg.8a87f28f5e541f17694901d2390a723b.jpgVersus.png.b33f5a72ffdf1d48758dcf38db6b4878.pngEiichiUmehara.jpg.1d954e07861e30d7d11936e6297e3f1f.jpgVersus.png.b33f5a72ffdf1d48758dcf38db6b4878.pngKuemonHotta.jpg.59724e2e61e66e84c65c2a365455f065.jpg

The feeling out process of the match is cut short when Reaver & Eagle Kawasawa clear the other fighters out of the ring and start going at it. Both men are top level competitors, but never held the major title of their old promotions, so they batter each other mercilessly to try and prove themselves as serious contenders. Kuemon Hotta does his best to keep up, but Umehara struggles and eventually takes the pin from Reaver after a brainbuster suplex in the middle of the ring.

Winner: Reaver

Rating: 50

DeanDaniels.jpg.f080e3a09c836bb9ebaa8f90d3158a1f.jpgGregGauge.jpg.f88b7b5c879050cc51e7306535564acd.jpgVersus.png.b33f5a72ffdf1d48758dcf38db6b4878.pngHiroshiMorisue.jpg.f4a31077d535f5f442980dc9b033f9ca.jpgBattleSakata.jpg.8f3fecdca06d5ca9af3442bf2df43e42.jpg

This match was brute strength versus technical skill, with the GCG competitors trying their best to outmaneuver the big brawlers. In the end, the experience of Morisue and Sakata was the deciding factor, using teamwork to overwhelm their opponents with violence. Morisue plants Gauge with a running powerslam for the win.

Winners: Hiroshi Morisue & Battle Sakata

Rating: 59

ANGLE: WEXXV Competitors Banned from Competing

IseiDeushi.jpg.c50533135b20ab441a706aa3ce4c0514.jpgTakaKajiwara.jpg.42f02628b640f46068107cc864843c84.jpgRyuKajahara.jpg.5c45ecda4c15b7ef2dd8bb3296b0d398.jpg

We cut back to commentary, who briefly explain that the changes to the opening match tonight are reportedly due to an incident that has resulted in Lion Genji sustaining an injury and two WEXXV wrestlers being banned from competing tonight. Taheiji Konoe, who was supposed to compete in the opener, is one of the banned fighters, and the man who was supposed to be Eagle Kawasawa’s opponent is the other. MJPW management will continue to investigate the matter.

OrangeTsuchie.jpg.bdbb3f8db24fe88df582023c5fe3324f.jpgVersus.png.b33f5a72ffdf1d48758dcf38db6b4878.pngKoichiKajiwara.jpg.3981687269923fd2d8274b55938b9301.jpg

Tsuchie faces a big test in his first MJPW match as he competes outside the junior heavyweight weight restrictions for the first time in years. Despite the size difference, he looks calm facing off with the 270lbs Kajiwara.

Kajiwara come out swinging with wild punches. Tsuchie dodges and darts in to grapple with the bigger man. In the tie up, he throws Kajiwara off balance before blasting him with hard knees and kicks. The match is over in a flash – Tsuchie buckles Kajiwara’s knee then leaps spinning through the air, and slams his shin into the side of Kajiwara’s head with the Orange Flash (Tornado Kick)

Winner: Orange Tsuchie

Rating: 53

WLW_Universal.jpg.c373a5899c0994f5eb444da859c7614e.jpg

MagnumKobe.jpg.af9193ab0dc011df9a13fdee8188a103.jpgVersus.png.b33f5a72ffdf1d48758dcf38db6b4878.pngTheGreatHisato.jpg.51dd0792b8da725d22bfb75722195aad.jpg

Two legends of WLW square off to bid farewell to one of the most exciting promotions in the history of Japanese wrestling. With 7 Universal title reigns between them, this is the last time WLW’s top prize will ever be fought for. The story of the match is Hisato trying to keep up with Kobe. Hisato takes to the air, and though his attacks were once devastating in his youth, now they lack impact. He tries to dodge, and if he were 10 years younger, he’d have been quick enough to get out of the way. And though the 44-year old gave everything he had, Magnum Kobe never truly looked like he was in danger of losing. After exhausting the veteran, Magnum Kobe leaps to the top rope and soars through the air with his corkscrew moonsault, the Glorious Red, to score the pinfall and retain his title.

Winner: Magnum Kobe

Rating: 69

In his post-match celebration, Kobe holds the Universal Title up on all four turnbuckles, before laying the belt in the middle of the ring and leaving. At the top of the ramp, he points to the Modern Japan banner above the entrance way, turns to the crowd and makes the belt signal around his waist.

Toshiharu Hyobanshi, Kiminobu Kuroki & Namboku Makuda vs. Kuniyoshi Kawamura, Toyokuni Hardcore & Chaos Khan

ToshiharuHyobanshi.jpg.9bcf58d9a96d2fd537f5efce1ff2a1bd.jpgKiminobuKuroki.jpg.15696f79130a5316d7eb16de64ce7079.jpgNambokuMakuda.jpg.b1c2832e981acb4f9ebedd0022d43258.jpgVersus.png.b33f5a72ffdf1d48758dcf38db6b4878.pngKuniyoshiKawamura.jpg.f3f7c8e2b8bf13e0ff27c681aad198f2.jpgToyokuniHardcore.jpg.841a4f72e7168756fa659acd90fd8b33.jpgChaosKhan.jpg.2dce8dc7a7a9adcf3f1fe555c61cadf4.jpg

Unlike the first GCG vs. WEXXV tag match, the former Golden Canvas were able to meet the brawlers head on with hard hitting strikes of their own. This is a back-and-forth match, with each team trying to beat the other into submission. With the traditionalists seemingly too riled up to stick to a game plan, the Warrior Engine team start to take control. In the end though, Toshiharu Hyobanshi is the difference maker. The combination of his power and pace is relentless and he looks like he could beat all three of his opponents by himself. Hyobanshi pins Khan to get the win for his team.

Winners: Toshiharu Hyobanshi, Kiminobu Kuroki & Namboku Makuda

Rating: 69

POST-MATCH: The fight isn’t over after the bell as Hyobanshi gets into it with a fan mouthing off in the crowd. The fan shoves him in the face and Hyobanshi tries to jump the barricade before security runs over. His GCG allies warn him of the Warrior Engine fighters, who looked like they were about to blindside him. Takayaki 2000 runs out to join his GCG comrades. The Warrior Engine team circle around the ring back towards the entrance. The Gold Canvas team watch them while Hyobanshi keeps glaring at the fan being escorted away by security.

TaheijiKonoe.jpg.a14f3d8285c625d0dceb64f757db7fcd.jpg

The camera catches the wild hair of the fan in question as he’s being pushed back through the crowd. He pushes his head up over security to yell out again, and we see that Taheiji Konoe was the fan who was shouting at Hyobanshi.

Infamy Inc. (Masa Kurata & Nichiren Amagawa) vs. HUSTLE-X (Shirai Yanagawa vs. Pretty Okakura)

MasaKuratans2.jpg.4f3103b583f9db207857bb0dd6e80627.jpgNichirenAmagawanew.jpg.4eb26c99643e344d700ed094eb0ad8d0.jpgVersus.png.b33f5a72ffdf1d48758dcf38db6b4878.pngShiraiYanagawa.jpg.877ea2702f80c384e966a73937289122.jpgPrettyOkakura.jpg.7393ae317db8436d6407474bebdf6dea.jpg

In a short match, the tactics of Infamy Inc quickly took control of the match. Amagawa used his submission skills to break down his opponents’ bodies so that they are unable to keep up with Kurata’s fast paced style when he’s tagged in. Infamy Inc. make short work of HUSTLE-X and Kurata pins Yanagawa in a little over 7 minutes.

Winners: Masa Kurata & Nichiren Amagawa

Rating: 58

ANGLE: Interview with Orange Tsuchie

OrangeTsuchie.jpg.bdbb3f8db24fe88df582023c5fe3324f.jpgSPEEDD.jpg.b3c31bca692f10310e4ff726b3e1e04a.jpg

In a backstage interview Orange Tsuchie is asked about the controversy surrounding the walkout of multiple EX2010 talents. Tsuchie is amicable in his response. He says he respects their decision to leave, but that the EXODUS talent who have come to MJPW are here to compete with the best, and that is more important to them than preserving their identity with a niche product.

Tsuchie’s response is cut short when SPEED D pushes into frame. SPEED D says that WLW were innovators long before EXODUS, and if Tsuchie was really interested in competition then he would have jumped ship to World Level a long time ago. Tsuchie calmly steps up to SPEED D and says he’s here right now, and he’s ready to fight anyone.

It seems like we already have a match for our next show…

ANGLE: Announcement for Champion vs. Champion match

Commentary tells us there has been a big change for the upcoming match.

We cut to footage of a backstage confrontation that happened earlier in the night. Tsuneyo Yanagimoto and Americana get in each other’s face, each man mouthing off about how badly they are going to beat the other. The argument gets so heated that they nearly come to blows, and in their anger and desire to humiliate each other, both men agree that their match tonight will be a title vs. title match, with the winner taking both championships!

Champion vs. Champion – Winner Takes All

Tsuneyo Yanagimoto [C] vs. Americana [C]

EXODUS World Junior Heavyweight & WLW Modern Japan Title

EXODUS_World.jpg.f47edda13e769805e9993b6d46c037bf.jpgWLW_ModernJapan.jpg.b821a9821dfa12f95f4d7beed87522c1.jpg

TsuneyoYanagimoto2.jpg.d6e83f97d63f208abb2f0d8425cd39e7.jpgVersus.png.b33f5a72ffdf1d48758dcf38db6b4878.pngAmericana.jpg.b3293f4d75e150ca4bc9738946fd2fb0.jpg

The competitors circle each other, hyped up and ready to fight but also careful in their approach, not wanting to be the first to make a mistake now that the stakes of the match are so high. The match quickly picks up when the two fighters engage, both aiming to put their opponent away as quickly as possible. Yanagimoto starts to take control, throwing everything he has at Americana and refusing to give him a chance to breathe. The noted technician flyer starts using power moves on the American to deal extra damage, but they take a toll on Yanagimoto’s energy as well. Knowing he’s getting overwhelmed, Americana backs off a bit, choosing to wade through the onslaught and pick his shots. Yanagimoto’s recklessness gives Americana a number of openings to even up the match. In the end, Americana plays possum and lures Yanagimoto into taking a reckless dive from the top rope. Americana rolls out of the way and quickly scales the ropes and takes to the sky with the Freedom Splash (Shooting Star Press), landing on a wiped-out Yanagimoto and pinning him for the 3-count.

Winner and NEW EXODUS World Junior Heavyweight Champion: Americana

Rating: 68

POST-MATCH: Americana is ecstatic, holding up both title belts as he celebrates up the ramp, now adding an official World Title to his resume. Yanagimoto comes to and watches Americana celebrating with his old belt, looking like he can’t decide between flipping into a rage or sinking to the mat and crying.

SUKI [C] vs. Takayaki 2000

GCG_World.jpg.6fcd2c7cee0fba50ff4f77719b29e42b.jpg

SUKI.jpg.575f8cd34b53d9b720c535a8ff47ab93.jpgVersus.png.b33f5a72ffdf1d48758dcf38db6b4878.pngTakayuki2000.jpg.5e57e9fe632d213205393f62bd8d7aee.jpg

The crowd are firmly behind Takayuki, hoping for a happy ending to the tragic history of GCG. The beloved two-time World champion is accompanied by fellow alumni Hiroyasu Gakusha, who hobbles on crutches behind him.

Both competitors are in the prime of their careers, and we’re treated to a display of the top tier wrestling that allowed GCG to fight off bankruptcy for so many years. Whenever SUKI gains the advantage, Gakusha is there to coach Takayuki and help him fight back. But SUKI’s unconventional strikes, his spinning elbow and awkward looping kicks are difficult for either Takayuki or Gakusha to read. At the 20-minute mark of the match, it is sheer willpower that pulls Takayuki back into the match, both men having battered each other to the point of exhaustion. After a close fight, Takayuki slaps on his signature Persian Deathlock (Camel Clutch) and to the cheers of 15,000 fans, SUKI taps out. Takayuki 2000 raises the GCG World Heavyweight Title as the new, three-time, and now final champion.

Winner and NEW GCG World Heavyweight Champion: Takayuki 2000

Rating: 67

ANGLE: The Future of MJPW

RyuKajahara.jpg.5c45ecda4c15b7ef2dd8bb3296b0d398.jpg

Ryu Kajahara leaves the commentary desk and enters the ring with a mic in his hand and a black velvet suitcase tucked under his arm. A pair of stagehands place a plinth in the middle of the ring and Kajahara lays the case on top of it.

“Thank you. Thank you for joining us as we say goodbye to an era of Japanese wrestling. Thank you to the warriors who fought for us tonight. Now please, join us as we welcome a new era, a modern era, of Japanese pro wrestling.”

Kajahara snaps open the velvet case, revealing a new title belt inside. He lifts it out and raises it for everyone in attendance to see.

MJPWWorldTitle.jpg.32d582d3731c14f40d5d9c488625e106.jpg

“In two weeks’ time, competitors will have the opportunity to qualify for a 1-night 8-man tournament to crown the first ever MJPW World Heavyweight Champion.

“We have already found three of our tournament competitors. Congratulations to Magnum Kobe, Americana and Takayuki 2000. As the winners of our three major singles matches tonight, you have automatically qualified. In two weeks we will hold a series of singles matches to help fill the other places, and in the main event, 30 men will compete in our ‘Revolution Rumble’ match to fill the eighth and final spot. But as a bonus for beating not one, but twenty-nine other men, the winner of the rumble will also receive a bonus cash prize of 15 million yen!

“See you in two weeks! Thank you and goodnight!”

• Like 7

Honestly pretty cool idea. I always shuffled my people around when I was playing as WLW, brining GCG guys on loan or sending my juniors to EXODUS for free in 2016, or have a super show at the end of the year bash, similar to the one you have here.

Interesting project. What do you have in mind for later? Touring or strictly TV like MJM is supposed to be? Then there is the question of how did Emerald Angel leave? Contract oversight or a creative decision by you?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SanX said:

Honestly pretty cool idea. I always shuffled my people around when I was playing as WLW, brining GCG guys on loan or sending my juniors to EXODUS for free in 2016, or have a super show at the end of the year bash, similar to the one you have here.

Interesting project. What do you have in mind for later? Touring or strictly TV like MJM is supposed to be? Then there is the question of how did Emerald Angel leave? Contract oversight or a creative decision by you?

The company is going to use a western inspired schedule. So after the next two events we'll switch to weekly TV with a big event/PPV every 8 weeks.

Emerald Angel leaving was a creative decision. I didn't want to stack the main event too much so that I have room to move up people lower down the card. Same with not hiring Furusawa. He's not as big a name as Emerald Angel but he's so good in the ring and popular enough that I feel I'd have to push him.

The only thing surrounding the starting roster that wasn't a choice was Hiroyasu Gakusha tearing his ACL. I forgot that without a touring schedule the company would run house shows and he got injured on the very first one of the save.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, GreatreDRagon said:

The company is going to use a western inspired schedule. So after the next two events we'll switch to weekly TV with a big event/PPV every 8 weeks.

Emerald Angel leaving was a creative decision. I didn't want to stack the main event too much so that I have room to move up people lower down the card. Same with not hiring Furusawa. He's not as big a name as Emerald Angel but he's so good in the ring and popular enough that I feel I'd have to push him.

The only thing surrounding the starting roster that wasn't a choice was Hiroyasu Gakusha tearing his ACL. I forgot that without a touring schedule the company would run house shows and he got injured on the very first one of the save.

Understandable. Pretty cool to see how these different guys mash-up here with different divisions and what not. I am pretty familiar with WLW, EXODUS and GCG, not so much Wrestle Engine guys other than their main eventers.

Angel and Kobe both are very clutch in 16, completely fine idea of leaving one out. Excited to see who becomes the first MJPW champ!

• Like 1

MJPW presents: Revolution Rumble

In March, MJPW will hold a 1-night 8-man tournament to crown the promotion's first World Heavyweight Champion. Three men have already qualified. This month, MJPW will hold the Revolution Rumble to find the final five competitors for the tournament.

In the opening matches of the night, two competitors from each of the four merging companies will face off in singles competition, with the winners filling four of the tournament spots. The final spot will go to the winner of the Revolution Rumble.

Rules for the Revolution Rumble match

Two competitors will start the match in the ring. Every 90 seconds, another competitor will be introduced into the match until all thirty men have entered the rumble. Eliminations occur when a competitor is thrown over the top rope and both of their feet touch the floor outside the ring. The last remaining competitor will be deemed the winner of the match and will earn the final spot in the World Title tournament and the 15 million yen bonus cash prize.

Competitors who have already qualified for the tournament are also eligible to enter the rumble. If a qualified contender wins the rumble, they will receive the cash prize and a first round bye in the tournament.

MJPW Revolution Rumble

Modern Japan Revolution Rumble

30 men, 1 winner, 15 million yen

Americana, Masa Kurata & Nichiren Amagawa vs. Tsuneyo Yanagimoto, Shirai Yanagawa & Pretty Okakura

SPEED D vs. Orange Tsuchie

QUALIFIER: Shimpei Hirose vs. Toyokuni Hardcore

QUALIFIER: Kiminobu Kuroki vs. Reaver

QUALIFIER: Kuniyoshi Kawamura vs. Kazuma Narato

QUALIFIER: Toshiharu Hyobanshi vs. Commander Kawagishi

Edited by GreatreDRagon
  • Like 2

Saturday, Week 4, February 2017

MJPW Revolution Rumble

ModernJapan.jpg.ab241b670c5e5e92451db8a8b807f520.jpg

QUALIFIER: Toshiharu Hyobanshi vs. Commander Kawagishi

ToshiharuHyobanshi.jpg.525da24eca19dd46c9dbd7a351f9ac6e.jpgVersus.png.082bc549580db98b843684338f64caa5.pngCommanderKawagishi.jpg.7b10081ea4c01a94d20761da37760d09.jpg

Hyobanshi has 12 years of experience over the young Kawagishi, but the 26-year-old didn’t let the veteran’s years or size advantage intimidate him. For 12 minutes these two men went to war. Although he came up short in the end, Commander Kawagishi made it known with his performance that he is one to watch for the future.  Hyobanshi puts away Kawagishi to win what would end up being the match of the night.

Winner: Toshiharu Hyobanshi

grade_bminus.jpg.fd248109bd0af6e08c3da6829fae2b39.jpg

QUALIFIER: Kuniyoshi Kawamura vs. Kazuma Narato

KuniyoshiKawamura.jpg.85de0336522398009f1900e0f4463d3a.jpgVersus.png.082bc549580db98b843684338f64caa5.pngKazumaNarato.jpg.60b31b5b9ffa45c585623c7333edb962.jpg

MMA fighter turned pro wrestler Kuniyoshi Kawamura made short work of his opponent tonight. Although he had a significant experience and even skill advantage, Narato could not survive Kawamura’s assault, getting knocked out cold be repeated knees to the head well before he was pinned. The match only reached the 7-minute mark because Kawamura paused to catch his breath midway.

Winner: Kuniyoshi Kawamura

grade_dplus.jpg.8f5ff5412ec60d30c0a7f4f227667a30.jpg

ANGLE: Backstage Interview with Magnum Kobe

MagnumKobe.jpg.cf21f2e70ea6b0df787f4b95251da055.jpg

Magnum Kobe is approached backstage for an interview. Hot off his big win two weeks ago, Kobe seems calm and confident heading into tonight’s battle royal.

"Nervous? Should I be? I've already won my shot at the title, so the only thing on my mind tonight is how much heavier my pockets will be when I leave the arena. As for the tournament, I've visualized every match up, every obstacle, every strategy I may need. All I need to do is execute. When the time comes, and I'm a 3-count away from the title, there will be no time to be nervous. I have no use for nerves."

SUKI.jpg.ab2b3f8d1a712e7603c028f838ce4d88.jpg

SUKI crosses into frame behind Kobe and the interviewer calls after him, asking how he plans to turn his momentum around after his recent loss. At the word “loss,” a small grin slithers across Kobe’s cheek and he turns to face SUKI. Taken aback, SUKI can do nothing but stare back at Kobe. The former WLW champ saunters down the hall and out of frame. SUKI huffs off in the opposite direction to prepare for the main event.

QUALIFIER: Kiminobu Kuroki vs. Reaver

KiminobuKuroki.jpg.8f62a535f8968a679dfdd13d268c66cd.jpgVersus.png.082bc549580db98b843684338f64caa5.pngReaver.jpg.b23a6c246127224ea60f5002a2e21f4f.jpg

Kuroki came to the ring ready for a striking battle. Reaver came out ready to maim a man. The American used every kind of attack in his arsenal, save for picking up a weapon and hitting his opponent with it. Reaver hits a brainbuster suplex and pins Kuroki to qualify for the World Title tournament.

grade_cminus.jpg.905cf62df01dc1d4831dec3f55baec9a.jpg

QUALIFIER: Shimpei Hirose vs. Toyokuni Hardcore

ShimpeiHirose.jpg.ee177c5c55c7e186e69d7e0dccff4a5f.jpgVersus.png.082bc549580db98b843684338f64caa5.pngToyokuniHardcore.jpg.378c048ef8b6220bad9ff3374f1395c9.jpg

Surprisingly, Shimpei Hirose matches up in size well with Toyokuni, having bulked up noticeably since his last appearance for EXODUS. The extra muscle added some more power to his punches, which helped him wear down Toyokuni before locking in the Mountain Sleeper for the finish.

Winner: Shimpei Hirose

grade_c.jpg.3e81afad6b73789832c55a293103e339.jpg

ANGLE: Video of Dojo Raid + Golden Army Promo

IseiDeushi.jpg.162176e2d448a2d0fda7287a04ae5b56.jpgTakaKajiwara.jpg.352b2b172aee9323fe4795f3d7d6090c.jpgRyuKajahara.jpg.d3a307944535b89311fbd229f7422113.jpg

Commentary informs us that they have an update on the controversy surrounding the banned Warrior Engine fighters and the injured GCG wrestler from the last show.

A phone recording shows several GCG alumni training in a ring. They work in pairs in a light sparring session, practicing their grappling technique. Two of the men grappling push into frame and start getting overly aggressive. One picks the other up and drops him on his head. The man on the ground lies motionless and the other fighters rush over to see what happened. The attacker steps back and paces up and down the ring before he’s shoved by who appears to be Kiminobu Kuroki.

TaheijiKonoe.jpg.ad8b98017e24b211f600308ca8baf2a1.jpgLionGenji.jpg.b2038e988da146e85af0ba4757df6cc5.jpg

The person holding the camera steps up to the ring apron and we see Taheji Konoe is the attacker, and he’s mouthing off at Lion Genji, his victim who is still lying where he was dropped.

KiminobuKuroki.jpg.8f62a535f8968a679dfdd13d268c66cd.jpgToshiharuHyobanshi.jpg.525da24eca19dd46c9dbd7a351f9ac6e.jpg

Kuroki and now Toshiharu Hyobanshi get in Konoe’s face, until an unknown man shoves one of the other GCG trainees aside and swats the camera away. The video cuts off before we can see who the man is.

Commentary speculates on the man's identity, and say that there was no notice given of banned competitors tonight, so the unknown man may appear in tonight's rumble match.

HiroyasuGakusha.jpg.cb6a9ded42d6a0d9631d6fa36f760f2f.jpgTakayuki2000.jpg.9b99ba4e6ff1bc79ee8cade1a58353ef.jpgToshiharuHyobanshi.jpg.525da24eca19dd46c9dbd7a351f9ac6e.jpg

We cut to Takayuki 2000, Toshiharu Hyobanshi and Hiroyasu Gakusha, who is still supporting himself with crunches.

Gakusha: “We let you into our home. We let you train with us in the spirit of sportsmanship, and you stabbed us in the back.

Takayuki: “We joined MJPW to compete against the best, but you don’t want to test yourselves. You'll take any cheap wins you can get."

Hyobanshi: “You fired the first shot. So if you want a war, come with everything you’ve got. Because we’ve got an army waiting to take you on.

StableGoldenArmy.jpg.9ecce41985faceba3417a6f41fd01165.jpg

SPEED D vs. Orange Tsuchie

SPEEDD.jpg.4cc1d558dbca855cbc010300a8014d52.jpgVersus.png.082bc549580db98b843684338f64caa5.pngOrangeTsuchie.jpg.43217400c907f40a5b15170f7daf26e8.jpg

Fast paced junior heavyweight action here. SPEED D tries everything he can to one up Tsuchie but can never keep control of the match. Tsuchie never loses composure, while SPEED D gets more frustrated as the match goes on. In the end, Tsuchie put SPEED D away with the Orange Flash (Tornado Kick), racking up another win for what is starting to become a winning streak.

Winner: Orange Tsuchie

grade_c.jpg.3e81afad6b73789832c55a293103e339.jpg

Americana, Masa Kurata & Nichiren Amagawa vs. Tsuneyo Yanagimoto, Shirai Yanagawa & Pretty Okakura

Americana.jpg.24cfd0d56d421ba4ddf0b10540d7b24f.jpgMasaKurata.jpg.42d43f34ef30567f030028a87d8db7d1.jpgNichirenAmagawa.jpg.f64cca55510ac4a5cd84901137daa958.jpgVersus.png.082bc549580db98b843684338f64caa5.pngTsuneyoYanagimoto.jpg.9da4511537d4cfc5074cc82e3d0aea92.jpgShiraiYanagawa.jpg.7d620dcc27c2e9de9b54a6199008ea89.jpgPrettyOkakura.jpg.7a249e5204107bcfcb947edbcb5d7d70.jpg

Yanagimoto tried to hype up his teammates before the match, saying they have to get payback for their losses two weeks ago. He may have over done it though as all three of them look scatterbrained out there compared to their opponents, who are far more focused and effectively work together. The former EX2010 fighters’ sense of teamwork completely collapses, and Americana hit his signature Freedom Splash (Shooting Star Press) and scores the pin over Yanagawa.

Winners: Americana, Masa Kurata & Nichiren Amagawa

grade_cplus.jpg.700957b5a920ffaa2a20cace482f24a5.jpg

ANGLE: Post-match

Americana.jpg.24cfd0d56d421ba4ddf0b10540d7b24f.jpgTsuneyoYanagimoto.jpg.9da4511537d4cfc5074cc82e3d0aea92.jpg

Kurata & Amagawa leave straight for the back. Americana takes his time, giving high fives to fans and stopping for pictures. As he turns his back on the ring, Yanagimoto sneaks up behind Americana, leaps up and clamps his legs around the luchador’s head. He throws Americana through the air – Reverse Spike Rana on to the ground! Americana thrashes around on the floor, cradling his head. Yanagimoto runs towards the American, yanks him up by the mask and throws him head first into the steel steps at ringside.

Security rushes out but the damage is already done. Yanagimoto screams at Americana while being held back by security, before finally storming backstage.

The Revolution Rumble

30 Men, 1 Winner, 15 Million Yen

It's finally time for the Revolution Rumble. 30 men will enter the match, but only 1 can walk away with the grand prize.  The first 7 entrants of the rumble will be the fighters who have already qualified for the World Title Tournament.

1: Takayuki 2000, 2: Magnum Kobe

Takayuki2000.jpg.9b99ba4e6ff1bc79ee8cade1a58353ef.jpgMagnumKobe.jpg.cf21f2e70ea6b0df787f4b95251da055.jpg

There is a big match feel in the air. Two of MJPW’s best fighters, two fighters yet to ever face each other, square off in the ring. Before the countdown for the next competitor has even begun, Takayuki tries to throw Kobe over the top rope. Unfazed by the attempt, Kobe easily spirals out of Takayuki’s grasp.

In

3: Kuniyoshi Kawamura

4: Shimpei Hirose

5: Reaver

With only 5 out of 30 men in the match, the rumble has already descended into chaos. There are no alliances yet, every man fights for himself.

In

6: Toshiharu Hyobanshi

ToshiharuHyobanshi.jpg.525da24eca19dd46c9dbd7a351f9ac6e.jpgTaheijiKonoe.jpg.ad8b98017e24b211f600308ca8baf2a1.jpg

Takayuki looked like he was about to gain an ally, but Taheiji Konoe ran out behind Hyobanshi to blindside him on the entrance ramp. Konoe threw some more punches while Hyobanshi tried to figure out what was going on. Takayuki slid out from under the bottom rope and chased off Konoe. Hyobanshi recovered and the two Golden Army allies headed to the ring, though one of them had clearly taken some damage.

7: Orange Tsuchie

OrangeTsuchie.jpg.43217400c907f40a5b15170f7daf26e8.jpg

Commentary tell those watching the live feed that Americana is unable to compete in the rumble after being attacked. Orange Tsuchie will take his place in the match.

In

8: Koichi Kajiwara

9: Kuemon Hotta

10: Snow Storm

After recovering a little, Hyobanshi & Takayuki start to team up. Together they score the first elimination of the night, throwing Kuniyoshi Kawamura from the ring.

Out

Kuniyoshi Kawamura

In

11: Mokuami Maita

12: Akima Brave

13: SUKI

SUKI.jpg.ab2b3f8d1a712e7603c028f838ce4d88.jpg

SUKI charges to the ring and unleashes an all-out assault on Takayuki 2000. He gets distracted when he sees Orange Tsuchie approaching and takes his attention off Takayuki for a moment. This proves to be a fatal mistake, as Takayuki throws SUKI to the ropes, and with the help of Hyobanshi, eliminates him less than a minute after he entered the ring.

Out

SUKI

In

14: Rusher Kogo

15: Masa Kurata

MasaKurata.jpg.42d43f34ef30567f030028a87d8db7d1.jpg

To neutralize the threat of Takayuki & Hyobanshi, Magnum Kobe & Shimpei Hirose form a temporary alliance. This new alliance eliminates two other competitors but they meet a stalemate when they go up against the Golden Army duo. A highlight of the match comes during a back and forth between Shimpei Hirose and Reaver. Reaver is getting the better of the exchange with stiff kicks. He runs back to bounce off the ropes but Hirose charges forward and barrels into Reaver with a running head butt that takes the American off his feet and throws him over the top rope.

Out

Koichi Kajiwara, Snow Storm, Reaver

In

16: Battle Sakata

17: Blade Kimiyama

18: Yasuhide Tayama

19: Toma

Two full tag teams have now entered the match. The Samoan Pitbulls (Akima Brave & Toma) and Rusher Kogo & Blade Kimiyama. They target some of the lone tag team competitors in the match to make sure they keep their numbers advantage. Orange Tsuchie also gets his first elimination of the match, throwing out Kuemon Hotta.

Out

Mokuami Maita, Battle Sakata, Kuemon Hotta

At one point in the match Takayuki 2000 and Toshiharu Hyobanshi are the only men left in the ring, the rest of the contenders having rolled out under the ropes or been eliminated. With no one else to fight, the Golden Army allies have no choice but to fight each other. They trade elbows in the middle of the ring, testing each other’s mettle, and to no one’s surprise, neither man backs off… until the next countdown buzzer sounds…

20: Munemitsu Senmatsu

MunemitsuSenmatsu.jpg.d80233574d2d0f34745d10f032757863.jpg

The hulking Munemitsu Senmatsu, 6-time Warrior Engine champion, a man feared even among the most hardcore fighters in the world, strides through the entrance way. The head of every man around the ring snaps up and they stare wide eyed as the towering shadow of Senmatsu reaches down the ramp.

Senmatsu steps over the top rope. He bursts forward with a double clothesline before the Golden Army duo can get to him. Kogo & Kimiyama try to rush him. Kogo is snatched off the floor and he sails over the ropes - Super-Smash Lariat to Kimiyama. Senmatsu tosses Toma at Akima Brave. Another Super-Smash Lariat! Both Samoan Pitbulls fly over the ropes.

Hyobanshi comes forward. Test of strength between Hyobanshi & Senmatsu - They’re dead even. Both men push as hard as they can - Headbutt from Senmatsu! Hyobanshi staggers back - Another Headbutt! Senmatsu drops down and drives Hyobanshi to the ropes - Lariat! - Another elimination!

Senmatsu's on a roll. He turns to his next victim – His legs buckle! Magnum Kobe just hit him square in the jaw with a super kick! The other competitors pounce on Senmatsu, working together to bring him down and stop the carnage.

Out

Rusher Kogo, Toma, Akima Brave, Toshiharu Hyobanshi

In

21: Sir Winston Watoga

22: Sozen Ishinomori

23: Toyokuni Hardcore

24: Hyotaru

25: Eagle Kawasawa

Without his tag partner, 170lbs Blade Kimiyama is easy pickings, getting dropkicked over the ropes by Masa Kurata. Orange Tsuchie has another show of good form, taking out the much bigger Yasuhide Tayama. Senmatsu gets back up and nearly eliminates Shimpei Hirose, before Magnum Kobe comes to help his temporary ally.

Out

Blade Kimiyama, Yasuhide Tayama,

In

26: Koji Kojima

27: Chaos Khan

Kobe and Hirose can’t deal with Senmatsu, who swats them away then punches Sir Winston Watoga over the ropes. Takayuki tries to sneak up behind Senmatsu but fails.

Out

Sir Winston Watoga

In

28: Namboku Makuda

29: Hiroshi Morisue

Makuda comes to the aid of Takayuki and they manage to eliminate Warrior Engine team Toyokuni Hardcore and Chaos Khan. Hiroshi Morisue enters and goes straight for Masa Kurata. Takayuki & Makuda start to wear down Senmatsu, but Sozen Ishinomori sees an opportunity to sneak up behind and eliminate a distracted Makuda. Kobe and Shimpei Hirose start brawling with Senmatsu and Ishinomori. Kobe kicks Ishinomori over the ropes.

Out

Toyokuni Hardcore, Chaos Khan, Namboku Makuda, Sozen Ishinomori

In

30: Nichiren Amagawa

NichirenAmagawa.jpg.f64cca55510ac4a5cd84901137daa958.jpg

All competitors have now entered the match. 19 have been eliminated so far. Amagawa rushes to the aid of Kurata, cutting down Morisue with a vicious dropkick to the knee. Infamy Inc. take control of the match. First, they throw out Morisue, then they set their eyes on Orange Tsuchie and nearly push him out but the monk is able to land on the ring apron.

Out

Hiroshi Morisue

Senmatsu bounds over to finish the job. Hyotaru finds himself in the unfortunate position of being in eye shot of Senmatsu. The big man pulls his arm across his body, swings it out, and literally backhands Hyotaru over the ropes without breaking stride.

Out

Hyotaru

Kurata and Amagawa dart out of the way. Senmatsu picks up Tsuchie, still on the apron, to throw him off it. Tsuchie grabs Senmatsu around the neck and tries to pull him over. Just as it looks like the big man is about to muscle him off, Takayuki grabs Senmatsu by the legs to lift him over the ropes. Hirose runs over to help him. With Tsuchie still holding on, Senmatsu tries to turn around. He swings wildly with his fist. Takayuki and Hirose hold on for dear life and push, but Senmatsu looks like he’s about to pull himself back to the ring floor – Superkick from Kobe! Senmatsu topples over the ropes.

Kurata dives for Kobe, who's backed up to the ropes. Kobe dodges. He kicks Amagawa away. Kobe turns to kick Kurata – but takes a huge left hand to the face! Senmatsu only fell to the apron - he's still in the match – he hammers Kobe again. Kurata rushes forward and dropkicks Kobe over the ropes.

Out

Magnum Kobe

Kurata and Amagawa take out Koji Kojima. An exhausted Shimpei Hirose is slumped over outside the ring, at this point with the second longest match time in the rumble.

CommanderKawagishi.jpg.7b10081ea4c01a94d20761da37760d09.jpg

His tag team partner, Commander Kawagishi rushes out with a bottle of water. Kawagishi picks Hirose off the ground and begins to hype him up. “You’re gonna be champion! You’re gonna be champion!” He points to the ring. “Get back in there!”

Hirose charges back in. He goes straight after Kurata and Amagawa, taking them on 2-on-1. He tries to pick them both up by himself – he gets them up! – until they both batter Hirose on the back and bring him to the ground. On the other side of the ring, an exhausted Takayuki 2000 plays possum, luring Eagle Kawasawa into running at him before moving out of the way and throwing him over the top rope. 6 fighters left.

Out

Koji Kojima, Eagle Kawasawa

Kurata and Amagawa have got Hirose on to the apron. They push while Hirose tries to pull them over the top rope. “Fall back! Fall Back!” Commander Kawagishi yells. “Grab hold and jump!” Kawagishi frantically signals with his arms. Hirose, about to fall, grabs his attackers’ around the neck as tight as he can, jumps up and drops all of his bodyweight down. All three men spill out of the ring. Kawagishi sprints towards them. The three men come off the apron and hit the ground, but Kawagishi baseball slides under Hirose. Hirose thuds back first on Kawagishi’s stomach – Hirose’s has one foot on the apron – his feet never touched the ground! Kawagishi helps push him back into the ring before collapsing to the floor and clutching his stomach. Hirose survives!

Out

Masa Kurata, Nichren Amagawa

Final 4: Takayuki, Hirose, Tsuchie, Senmatsu. Hirose goes for Tsuchie, Senmatsu goes for Takayuki. They all battle back and forth, switching opponents and avoiding double teams. Tsuchie hits Takayuki with a crunching kick, but eats a stiff elbow in return. Hirose tries to will himself onward. He grits his teeth and comes forward but Senmatsu slams a big boot into his face and Hirose blacks out. Senmatsu picks up his limp body and dumps it over the rope.

Out

Shimpei Hirose

3 left. Takayuki and Tsuchie team up on Senmatsu. Tsuchie cuts the big man down with kicks, Takayuki goes for the head with fists and elbow. But the duo keep flinching away from each other, afraid of an imminent betrayal. Takayuki makes a move Tsuchie doesn’t like and the two men turn on each other. Tsuchie tries to strike at distance but gets grabbed by the bigger man. Takayuki hoist him up. He goes for the throw. Tsuchies pushes himself off of Takayuki’s shoulders, off into the air, he spins around – Orange Flash in midair! Takayuki buckles against the ropes. Tsuchie lines him up - Another Orange Flash! Takayuki flips over the ropes and crashes to the ground.

Out

Takayuki 2000

Final 2. Tsuchie goes all out. Kicks to knees, kicks to ribs, running dropkicks. Wary of high risk moves, he stays grounded and keeps kicking Senmatsu, driving him to the ropes. Senmatsu palms Tsuchie in the face – thumb to the eye – Tsuchie back peddles. Huge punch from Senmatsu. Blow after blow knocks the monk across the ring. Now backed to the ropes, Tsuchie covers up. Senmatsu swings – clubbing blows to the head. More punches, Tsuchie starts to weave. He dodges one, Senmatsu stumbles. Another dodge, Senmatsu twist away. Another, the big man lunges forwards and hits the ropes. Tsuchie slips around him – roundhouse to the ribs – roundhouse, roundhouse – Senmatsu’s on the ropes. He lunges off them. Teep kick from Tsuchie, Senmatsu wobbles – Orange Flash! Senmatsu goes limp, he falls back on the ropes. Tsuchie loads up for another Orange Flash – Senmatsu bounces off the ropes – Super-Smash Lariat! Tsuchie crashes to the mat. He stumbles back up. Senmatsu shoves him to the ropes – Super-Smash Lariat! Tsuchie tumbles over the top rope to the floor outside the ring.

Out

Orange Tsuchie

Winner: Munemitsu Senmatsu

Show Rating:

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Wrestling Machine said:

Oh what a bummer, I must have missed Wednesday's post for predictions! Happy for Senmatsu win, even though the Rumble was very long lol

You are keeping a very "American" style imo with a puro company, curious to see how this will turn out

Yeah the rumble was definitely too long. I'm trying to simplify my write ups going forward.

The Modern Japan Movement was all about ditching the traditional puro touring schedule in favour of TV. I interpreted that to mean the companies in the MJM would present a somewhat westernized product. So I'm using the Classic Sports Entertainment product right now, but I still want to keep that competitive in-ring aspect of puro alive.

Saturday, Week 2, March 2017

MJPW Fight For The Throne

ModernJapan.jpg.6a31441502888170a44afb20ff63509a.jpg

ANGLE: Last Minute Change

Commentary informs us that Americana is still recovering from the injuries he sustained from Tsuneyo Yanagimoto’s attack and is unable to compete tonight. Orange Tsuchie will take his place in the tournament.

Updated Tournament Bracket:

Toshiharu Hyobanshi vs. Reaver

Magnum Kobe vs. Kunoyoshi Kawamura

Munemitsu Senmatsu vs. Shimpei Hirose

Orange Tsuchie vs. Takayuki 2000

Quarter Final 1: Toshiharu Hyobanshi vs. Reaver

ToshiharuHyobanshi.jpg.a03660e7cf57f3a3b1886e2d8869694c.jpgVersus.png.91742cffa486b7b8ea71a376b51e052c.pngReaver.jpg.c01fed52b6673e4c0cde3e1cb0c1f0ee.jpg

-          Reaver tries to use his speed to gain the advantage, but Hyobanshi, although at least 60lbs heavier, is able to keep up.

-          That is, until Reaver cuts Hyobanshi’s legs from under him while the two are fighting on the ring apron. The big man falls and all his weight is taken on his knee as it crunches against the hard wooden edge.

-          Reaver targets Hyobanshi’s knee with kicks and submissions. Hyobanshi uses his impressive strength to stay in the match, muscling out of submission holds and hitting power moves.

-          Reaver locks in a heel hook and cranks Hyobanshi’s knee. Whenever the ref isn’t looking, Reaver uses the bottom rope to stop Hyobanshi from rolling or throwing him off.

-          Eventually the referee sees and breaks the hold, but the damage is already done. Hyobanshi can barely stand. Reaver assaults him then hits the Hell Fire Kick (Spinning Heel Kick) for the win.

grade_cplus.jpg.8640c14eb22fa3484372324f02483772.jpg

ANGLE: Hype For The Rest Of The Tournament

The camera pans around the arena to show the 20,000 strong crowd in attendance tonight. Among the spectators are several MJPW wrestlers who are not competing in the tournament. While commentary gives us a preview of the rest of the card, the camera catches a glimpse of SUKI leaning on the barricade, moping with his chin resting on his arms.

Quarter Final 2: Magnum Kobe vs. Kuniyoshi Kawamura

MagnumKobe.jpg.d97da08ac9d3c260252b1cb8ffcb2035.jpgVersus.png.91742cffa486b7b8ea71a376b51e052c.pngKuniyoshiKawamura.jpg.87547dc8155bc56e2964d2ba856bb225.jpg

-          This match is like watching a matador tire out a bull. Kawamura charges and Kobe dodges before hitting back with counter attacks.

-          Although every attack Kawamura throws looks dangerous, he is exhausted and completely outclassed by the 9 minutes mark of the match. Kobe wins to advance to the Semis.

grade_bminus.jpg.de2df54a3058b2ccf2ca5a10576f7e88.jpg

Quarter Final 3: Munemitsu Senmatsu vs. Shimpei Hirose (w/Commander Kawagishi)

MunemitsuSenmatsu.jpg.97100a640b1fae6a7cd72eed4806a1f8.jpgVersus.png.91742cffa486b7b8ea71a376b51e052c.pngShimpeiHirose.jpg.4a2bb5ea124c852ad349ddb90ad91a13.jpg

-          Hirose gave a standout performance in the Rumble. Now he’ll have to build on that showing to survive what will be the hardest match of his career to date.

-          Hirose tries to trade blow for blow with the much larger Senmatsu. Although his brawling style might have stood out in EXODUS, he's playing Senmatsu’s game, who has over a decade and hundreds of matches worth of experience fighting the toughest brawlers in the country.

-          After 10-minutes, Senmatsu hit his Super-Smash Lariat to end the match

grade_c.jpg.c89b5edce7d6fb5bc74920fcf1bc30a1.jpg

Quarter Final 4: Orange Tsuchie vs. Takayuki 2000

OrangeTsuchie.jpg.02950d744516dc850b21be12b1a4b3c2.jpgVersus.png.91742cffa486b7b8ea71a376b51e052c.pngTakayuki2000.jpg.abe8857c904f0eedcaef38917665a4a0.jpg

-          This match is 50-50 right from the start. Takayuki blitzes forward with powerful strikes, then Tsuchie counters with precisely timed throws and aerial attacks.

-          In the last minutes of the match, experience proves to be the difference maker, with Takayuki having far more high-level singles matches throughout his career.

-          Takayuki goads Tsuchie into another aerial attack. Takayuki dogdes then hit one of his own, the Takayuki Air Attack (Missile Dropkick). He locks in the Persian Deathlock (Camel Clutch), and after a brief stuggle, Orange Tsuchie taps out.

Winner: Takayuki 2000

ANGLE: Tsuneyo Yanagimoto Tries To Call-out Americana

TsuneyoYanagimoto.jpg.9c9120754a39f324cb772bb9c17b426e.jpg

Yanagimoto storms to the ring with a mic in hand. Security rush out after him, and before he can get a whole sentence into his promo, Yanagimoto is dragged out of the ring. He thrashes around as he tries to at least get a few jabs in at Americana on the mic, then he disappears backstage. Amused by the impromptu display, commentary tells us that Yanagimoto must have forced his way through the building, as he was banned from the arena tonight for sabotaging the tournament.

Semi Final 1: Reaver vs. Magnum Kobe

Reaver.jpg.c01fed52b6673e4c0cde3e1cb0c1f0ee.jpgVersus.png.91742cffa486b7b8ea71a376b51e052c.pngMagnumKobe.jpg.d97da08ac9d3c260252b1cb8ffcb2035.jpg

-          The match starts with a back and forth of brutal strikes and holds, reminiscent of the classic King’s Road matches of the 90s. Magnum Kobe takes control of the match. Reaver starts to fight dirty, but it isn’t enough for him to gain the advantage.

-          Reaver tries to target Kobe’s knee like he did to Hyobanshi. Kobe is too nimble and reverses Reaver’s attack on the ring apron.

-          Reaver resorts to raking Kobe’s eye and headbutting him in the face. Kobe’s eye swells purple and Reaver pounces on him with heavy shots, targeting the bruised orbital bone.

-          Kobe tries to rally back, but Reaver keeps the upper hand, until Kobe runs across the ring and launches a desperation shot, a flying headbutt, a revenge attack that collides with Reaver’s face.

-          Kobe mounts a comeback and hits the Glorious Red (Corkscrew Moonsault) to get the win.

ANGLE: Post-match Attack

Kobe heads to the back, holding a hand to his swelling eye. The next Semi Final is about to begin, and Munemitsu Senmatsu enters first. Takayuki 2000 comes out second, and as he’s about to step into the ring, Reaver attacks him from behind and throws him into the ringside barricade. He picks up Takayuki and throws him into the steel ring steps.

Satisfied, Reaver leaves his victim curled up at ringside. When he reaches the ramp, he turns and nods to Senmatsu, who steps out of the ring to finish what Reaver started.

Semi Final 2: Munemitsu Senmatsu vs. Takayuki 2000

MunemitsuSenmatsu.jpg.97100a640b1fae6a7cd72eed4806a1f8.jpgVersus.png.91742cffa486b7b8ea71a376b51e052c.pngTakayuki2000.jpg.abe8857c904f0eedcaef38917665a4a0.jpg

-          Senmatsu continues the assault outside the ring. By the time Takayuki is rolled into the ring he’s barely moving.

-          Hiroyasu Gakusha hobbles out to the ring and urges Takayuki to get up and keep fighting.

-          Senmatsu lets loose on his grounded opponent. After 5 minutes of unanswered punishment, Takayuki finds the will to kick out of a pin.

-          Takayuki only makes it to his feet because Senmatsu picks him up, but the Golden Army warrior find more resolve and battles back, able to put Senmatsu on the back foot.

-          Gakusha motivates Takayuki to fight through his exhaustion, but at this point, he has nothing left.

-          Senmatsu nails one Super-Smash Lariat to put Takayuki down, then another to send a message. The big man sneers at Gakusha as he pins Takayuki for the 3-count.

grade_c.jpg.c89b5edce7d6fb5bc74920fcf1bc30a1.jpg

Brothers In Vengeance (Hirshi Morisue vs. Battle Sakata) vs. Unity Two (Koji Kojima & Koki Ishibashi)

HiroshiMorisue.jpg.69593f27aabbfd38bf5de29c0987e497.jpgBattleSakata.jpg.d29941331b0faef03bd48f7471561e77.jpgVersus.png.91742cffa486b7b8ea71a376b51e052c.pngKojiKojima.jpg.c6c2a28d2887264dcc065374e046da5a.jpgKokiIshibashi.jpg.f596bdb6a5c436178874008b87c0d2f1.jpg

-          We get another glimpse into the MJPW tag team division as this 2-on-2 match takes place to break up tonight’s semis and grand final.

-          Morisue and Sakata epitomize the saying “everybody’s got a plan until they get punched in the mouth” and take the win.

Winners: Brothers In Vengeance

grade_dplus.jpg.2ab5cf131452c3ca1096ae131e029eca.jpg

ANGLE: Post-match Callout

The former WEXXV Blood Brothers Champions stay in the ring and get on the mic. They call out Masa Kurata and Nichiren Amagawa, the other winners of the champions vs. champions tag match last month. As the last two duos standing among the old tag team champions, Morisue and Sakata say their match should be for the MJPW Tag Team Championship.

Final: Magnum Kobe vs. Munemitsu Senmatsu

MJPW World Heavyweight Title

MJPWWorldTitle.jpg.21d760c6fccddbbf9830c4abf8b9521b.jpg

MagnumKobe.jpg.d97da08ac9d3c260252b1cb8ffcb2035.jpgVersus.png.91742cffa486b7b8ea71a376b51e052c.pngMunemitsuSenmatsu.jpg.97100a640b1fae6a7cd72eed4806a1f8.jpg

-          Magnum Kobe wears the damage of his last two fights, one of his eyes now swollen to a dark purple squint. Senmatsu, although he looks worn down, holds his chest high, visibly fresher than his opponent.

-          The difference in the men’s fatigue is noticeable. Kobe’s strikes lack some of their sting and Senmatsu’s still have a lot of weight behind them.

-          Senmatsu bends the rules as much as he can without getting DQed. As he takes control of the match he starts to toy with his opponent. His confidence backfires when it gives Kobe enough time to recover, and he unleashes a jaw cracking super kick that brings the big man to his knees.

-          Kobe starts to rally back and Senmatsu is in serious trouble for the first time tonight.

-          Taheiji Konoe runs out from backstage, howling like a rapid animal, shouting for his “boss” to stand back up. Reaver follows behind, his eyes locked on Kobe.

-          The mere presence of a number’s advantage gives Senmatsu more strength. The two fighters go back at it. Kobe’s senses are compromised, the intruders stalking him from outside the ring take away some of his focus, one always hidden behind the swollen flesh of his eye.

-          Despite the pressure, Kobe knuckles up and charges forward. He sees a huge forearm swinging at him – his vision darkens – shining lights overhead – he feels himself floating – rising through the air – then falling fast – crashing to the mat – the crowd blurs around him and the ring ropes spin – Then blackout.

Winner and NEW MJPW World Heavyweight Champion: Munemitsu Senmatsu

Show Rating:

• Like 5

Recap of March Week 3 - April Week 2

FUSIONJapan.jpeg.4d698f89b078cace8566a744147dfe9c.jpeg

MJPW Fusion

(Logo made by BestForTheBusiness)

Senmatsu-Gun vs. Golden Army

In March, MJPW debuted their weekly TV show Fusion. The first episode opened with Taheiji Konoe’s first official in-ring appearance, where he dominated Kuemon Hotta. After the match, new champion Munemitsu Senmatsu strode to the ring with his World Heavyweight Title belt draped over his shoulder, Reaver following close behind. In the ring, Senmatsu held his belt up high. Konoe and Reaver crouched either side of him, holding a black banner between them that in bold read “SENMATSU-GUN”.

Senmatsu bragged about “breaking” The Golden Army, how Senmatsu-gun won the war and took the spoils. Namboku Makuda and Kiminobu Kuroki interrupted to tell the champion that The Golden Army will never be broken, and that their war is far from over. They were looking for a fight and they got it in the main event. Senmatsu-gun racked up another win over The Golden Army when Reaver defeated Namboku Makuda. This marked Reaver's defeat of 3 out of 5 current Golden Army members. After the match, Senmatsu-gun continued to beat down Makuda, and Kuroki when he tried to intervene. The attack stopped when Takayuki 2000, in civilian clothes, rushed to the ring through the crowd with a steel chair in hand.

The following weeks saw Taheiji Konoe continue his dominance in the ring. Every week, Takayuki 2000 challenged Senmatsu to a rematch, and every week the champion ignored him, choosing instead to send out his new lackey Sozen Ishinomori, to turn away the challenger.

SozenIshinomori.jpg.6035572da5f88d199d20d4a7521b790b.jpg

"I take care of things Mr. Senmatsu doesn't have time for, like shutting up people with no business saying his name. In other words, get lost ya washed up scrub." - Sozen Ishinomori, new member and the mouthpiece for Senmatsu-gun.

In the first week of April, Ishinomori recruited The Berzerkers (Toyokuni Hardcore and Chaos Khan) to take on Takayuki 2000 and Toshiharu Hyobanshi, promising them a spot in Senmatsu-gun if they could defeat the Golden Army duo. Hyobanshi, making his return after several weeks of recovery from his match with Reaver, was out for blood. He channeled his anger to help Takayuki decisively defeat The Berzerkers.

In the background of the GA – Senmatsu-gun war, Eagle Kawasawa began searching for Senmatsu himself, confronting Sozen Ishinomori about his boss’ whereabouts. On the second week of April, Takayuki 2000 made another of his weekly challenges to the champion, who appeared in person this time to turn him down. Senmatsu dismissed Takayuki as someone he’d already beaten. Takayuki responded that Senmatsu used outside interference because he knew he’d have lost otherwise. Eagle Kawasawa interrupted the conflict. He argued that his match with Senmatsu, scheduled for the Supershow, had been cancelled. Senmatsu had not beaten Kawasawa and owed him a match. So the match was set, and in the main event, Munemitsu Senmatsu defeated Eagle Kawasawa, with no interference, proving once again to be a fearsome competitor.

After the main event, Takayuki 2000 entered the ring to face off with Senmatsu, showing the champion that the challenges would keep coming until they were accepted.

Stable_Senmatsugun.jpg.d20ba1414de9bc791bc13d92987b1c96.jpgMunemitsuSenmatsu.jpg.0f536e1d198e9aeb6a6f9e0185ba7bd7.jpgReaver.jpg.3d27c0ce25e332be12307c0fb1859230.jpgTaheijiKonoe.jpg.3683f2cb3fab958187ebe14fcc81b02f.jpgSozenIshinomori.jpg.e2c7f9ab5470f7b943b35abbaaa5c4f3.jpg

Senmatsu-gun: Munemitsu Senmatsu, Reaver, Taheiji Konoe, Sozen Ishinomori

Stable_GoldenArmy.jpg.0c04cc8ed63f2e47298104bf8a70b77a.jpgHiroyasuGakusha.jpg.b2d76aa75d9a2863e33cee8b675ca2fe.jpgTakayuki2000.jpg.fd379b0a38ceddb380abf34f8a0a638e.jpgToshiharuHyobanshi.jpg.7ad5aae6c569d02c2051f0784dfccba5.jpgNambokuMakuda.jpg.136898972c4639af69c9d61f55e180ee.jpgKiminobuKuroki.jpg.2d915c4cc317f05e432dbcb629fc447c.jpgLionGenji.jpg.9523e68debc600029e8875e5e9f01c96.jpg

Golden Army: Hiroyasu Gakusa (injured), Takayuki 2000, Toshiharu Hyobanshi, Namboku Makuda, Kiminobu Kuroki, Lion Genji (injured)

Best of the Juniors

On the first episode of Fusion, Americana addressed his attack at the hands of Tsuneyo Yanagimoto, and his subsequent forfeit of his World Title tournament spot. He said that Yanagimoto robbed him of his chance to win a World Title, one that would add to his EXODUS World Title win the month prior. With his title win over Yanagimoto, Americana said that he already proved he is worthy of being a champion. Out of pride and spite, Americana said he will NOT be retiring the EXODUS World Junior Title and will defend it next week.

The following week, Americana proved his skill by successfully defending the EXODUS Title against the young high-flier Snow Storm in a standout match. Afterwards Americana raised his belt to the camera, taunting Yanagimoto wherever he was watching from on the other side of the feed.

In April, Yanagimoto confronted Americana and demanded a rematch. The champion, having defeated the challenger fair and square to win the belt, declined. Yanagimoto would have to earn his rematch.

So Yanagimoto set off to do just that. He also proved his exceptional skill with an impressive win over Rusher Kogo. However, with word of a new championship up for grabs, many Junior Heavyweights are now fighting to prove themselves worthy of a title shot. Among them, SPEED D shows great promise, with performances so good that his fights on the prelims have overshadowed most main card bouts. Many contenders have stepped up, and Americana will defend his title against one of them next week.

Coming Up Next:

• Orange Tsuchie vs. SUKI: Who is MJPW's "Next Big Thing?"
  • Tag Team Turmoil
  • Headlines from around the world
  • MJPW Way Of The Warrior - Week 2, May 2017
Edited by GreatreDRagon
  • Like 4