TEW IX Developer's Journal Discussion Thread

12 hours ago, The Superman 3 of People said:

That's a little different, seeing as how Moolah didn't have proteges so much as she had victims.

I almost feel like this should be a relationship type, after all the MeToo stuff.

7 hours ago, Hawk1665 said:

Bery happy about the deathmatch changes for deathmatch promotion. No company has ever done 100% deathmatches. No DQ matches? Maybe you could do that but those aren't "deathmatches" anyway. 

I hope it's also been expanded who'll do lighttubes or other "safer" deathmatch options. You're pretty limited as is on who'll do them or not, but most wrestlers in real life don't really have much of a problem with light tubes or gimmicked glass. I can see having restrictions on things like barbwire, gusset plates, nails or more "extreme" variations though. 

Running a real world early to mid 90s FMW or IWA Japan has always been rather difficult, for sure. 

• Like 1

Well well well here we are speaking about Moolah and it just so happens in today’s dev diary we get…

Forest fires which I’m pretty sure everyone wanted to toss her in at some point or another.

• Haha 9

On the topic of the indian regions, I feel it could have been better off being merged into a general Asia region similar to how Europe is and to include other countries within the continent. Japanese promotions are starting to to put a lot of focus into targetting South East Asian countries, and WWE has also been a big part of the middle east in the past couple of years.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AstroCreep said:

AI backstage events is another great addition! 

Yeah, this is a fun addition. I always love it when the world feels more alive so seeing AI backstage incidents is a great idea.

• Like 2

Good update! Anything that potentially makes the AI cheat less/receive more punishments. No reason why Abyss and David Otunga should be pulling a 92 for AI TNA in my save when neither of them sniffed 80's in performance rating.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dawn said:

Good update! Anything that potentially makes the AI cheat less/receive more punishments. No reason why Abyss and David Otunga should be pulling a 92 for AI TNA in my save when neither of them sniffed 80's in performance rating.

i think there are other factors that play into the final match rating than just the performance (pop, any bonuses to stats, crowd heat, etc)

also, respect david otunga

7 minutes ago, Amyzyng said:

i think there are other factors that play into the final match rating than just the performance (pop, any bonuses to stats, crowd heat, etc)

also, respect david otunga

In my case none of these factors should have tallied a 92 :p 

I respect John Cena's greatest tag team partner, he just shouldn't be pulling that insanity while Cena and Kevin Owens flop to a 69 on my show (WITH BOTH PERFORMING AT 80S TO 90S)

• Haha 2

Probably a stupid question, but will the AI having the same events the player has affect the games simulation speed at all? 

Edit: Also I'm definitely going to take some Georgia Championship Wrestling graphics and run an old school southern rasslin' promotion out of Tblisi at least once before the next TEW comes out. 

Edited by SomeDude03

I can't actually believe that in 2024 the NEW game is going to be using the same, tiny, antiquated, tedious, ugly UI in low resolution that has been used for all the previous games. This is mind boggling stuff and will prevent me from buying the game.

No support for modern 1080p resolution AT THE LEAST is just sad and simply unacceptable for a game coming out in 2024. Sigh.

Edited by Teldil
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Hawk1665 said:

I hope it's also been expanded who'll do lighttubes or other "safer" deathmatch options. You're pretty limited as is on who'll do them or not, but most wrestlers in real life don't really have much of a problem with light tubes or gimmicked glass. I can see having restrictions on things like barbwire, gusset plates, nails or more "extreme" variations though. 

Yes, please. Lighttubes are pretty much the default nowadays. Feels very off that they are rated 'High Risk'. Scaffold/Heights, Explosives, Fire, Barefoot anything, Razor Wire (not barbed wire; that's also pretty default), Razor Blades/Knives are where most people draw the line. I'd be happy with an option to mark a match type as 'alpha deathmatch' that is required for these weapons, and an 'Alpha Deathmatch' Attribute for workers (stronger version of Deathmatch Worker, like there are different versions of 'will do stunts'). Chris Jericho and Jun Kasai both do lighttubes, but only one of them does alpha deathmatches.

25 minutes ago, Astil said:

Honestly the backstage change for AI is the change I am most excited to see in action. 

Possibly the same for me too.

Gameworld depth feeling alive and dynamic along with clever in game mechanics (booking engine) and ability to books shows fluidly. These are my main hopes.

2 hours ago, Teldil said:

I can't actually believe that in 2024 the NEW game is going to be using the same, tiny, antiquated, tedious, ugly UI in low resolution that has been used for all the previous games. This is mind boggling stuff and will prevent me from buying the game.

No support for modern 1080p resolution AT THE LEAST is just sad and simply unacceptable for a game coming out in 2024. Sigh.

It's not a game breaker for me but i definitely agree that the look of the game needs to be updated and a dynamic resolution option needs to be made. 

Is there any reason as to why this isnt possible? 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ViperVenom said:

It's not a game breaker for me but i definitely agree that the look of the game needs to be updated and a dynamic resolution option needs to be made. 

Is there any reason as to why this isnt possible? 

I been told it's the code and the program they use. 

2 hours ago, Astil said:

Honestly the backstage change for AI is the change I am most excited to see in action. 

Such a massive change. Will be fun to see news stories pop up of wrestlers being suspended/fired. Negative relationships could possible result in larger companies not extended some wrestlers.

Feels like everyday there's something really exciting being added/changed. Very excited.

3 hours ago, Teldil said:

The UI works for a game that has a lot going on "under the hood". I think some people get a little too worked up over how things look as opposed to how things work. I'd rather have an old clunker that gets me from A to B as opposed to a beautiful Ferrari that break down. 

• Like 16

I'm glad the AI is getting features as well, I'd argue the AI is the weakest aspect of TEW & WMMA. TEW it is even more noticeable because worker pop hardly fluctuates! They never make room for younger guys to take over, either. It's always 50 year olds with 16 brawling and 95 pop getting the title shots or the Royal Rumble wins. Hulk Hogan won the Royal Rumble every year until 2002 in my '92 save game! With like, one break in between! One thing I'd like to see (if it isn't already implemented/stated) is that workers can dip and rise in popularity at the same pace as the same pace as the user. I don't want them to poach Stone Cold from me, and have him job to a 50 year old Mr. Perfect nonstop who has a drug addiction and 13 stamina. Hopefully my rambling/rant was coherent enough.

• Like 8

When it comes to weather effects and the like, what exactly is preventing us from just changing the venue? Say we have a show in Japan as an American company and due to something a wrestler is unable to come to Japan, what is stopping us from just going on the venue screen and choosing one in America instead? 

• Like 2

A "simple" hypothetical bit of programming (not Adam, so of course can't say how it's going to be implemented) maybe it'd be something like a "dice roll" for each region in the game and it saying that "due to a snowstorm, things are difficult for travel in the Midlands" and it influencing people based in the area so if your show is in Scotland, anyone based in the Midlands would have the issue regardless? It may be that the extent of the problem isn't fully revealed until after the show starts. It's a small teaser at the moment and it will be interesting to see how it works in practice and to get further details!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jose13 said:

When it comes to weather effects and the like, what exactly is preventing us from just changing the venue? Say we have a show in Japan as an American company and due to something a wrestler is unable to come to Japan, what is stopping us from just going on the venue screen and choosing one in America instead? 

You've always had the ability to select your venue/area.  If you want to select a different venue/area to get around weather effects; I'm sure you will be able to in the new game.

3 minutes ago, stratusfaction said:

You've always had the ability to select your venue/area.  If you want to select a different venue/area to get around weather effects; I'm sure you will be able to in the new game.

I know that has always been available, that's why I ask if there's anything stopping us from doing it. :)

I'm sure we'll get a full primer on how to convert games as get closer, but I'm wondering:
I have a game I want to convert to TEW 9. I originally removed some regions to speed up load times. If I buy TEW 9 and add my database, will I get an opportunity to add regions back in?

And on the subject of load times, does the backstage addition for AI noticeably slow down the game?