TEW IX Developer's Journal Discussion Thread

The updated spillover mechanics are a good start and definitely pushing in the right direction, however, I don't feel truly that it captures internet/smark hype well enough. You have guys like Daniel Garcia, who, while definitely having some solid indie matches, were able to come into AEW as semi-big deals despite being virtually unknown to the common wrestling fan and be treated as such by both the company and the audience.

I hope this isn't just the solution and we actually get a better reflection on how certain wrestlers can just "blow up" overnight or gain a strong reputation outside of their usual area of work.

Edit: The new products are great too, also interesting to see the new sex/gender mechanics integrated with the product system possibly.

Edited by Chikbot
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chikbot said:

The updated spillover mechanics are a good start and definitely pushing in the right direction, however, I don't feel truly that it captures internet/smark hype well enough. You have guys like Daniel Garcia, who, while definitely having some solid indie matches, were able to come into AEW as semi-big deals despite being virtually unknown to the common wrestling fan and be treated as such by both the company and the audience.

I hope this isn't just the solution and we actually get a better reflection on how certain wrestlers can just "blow up" overnight or gain a strong reputation outside of their usual area of work.

Edit: The new products are great too, also interesting to see the new sex/gender mechanics integrated with the product system possibly.

I would argue that he didn’t come in as a big deal. I mean, his first AEW match was on Dark and a loss to boot and that if you bring someone in and immediately start pushing them in TEW you get a halfway decent way of trying to replicate an Indy name coming in and trying to get over to your population at large , but I also agree this is a good step in the right direction to capture people who are stars in other countries/areas. 

• Like 6

Just now, Historian said:

I would argue that he didn’t come in as a big deal. I mean, his first AEW match was on Dark and a loss to boot, but I also agree this is a good step in the right direction to capture people who are stars in other countries/areas. 

I get the argument, but he had a couple of high profile matches in SMASH and PWG beforehand, which likely got him the dark tryout and which inevitably got him signed and instantly dropped into a storyline. There was definitely hype from the more smarter end of the wrestling fanbase.

I don't think the new spillover can capture the hype about small promotions bringing foreign stars over. For such cases, you'd need a 'Smartness' setting or something that says how savvy the audience is; if they follow foreign media, only follow companies above a certain size or a certain type (i.e. a lucha fanbase in the US would perceive Mexican workers as big deals and accept them as Star/Major Star, but not care about Japanese deathmatch workers whatsoever).

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, GrindhouseArts said:

I don't think the new spillover can capture the hype about small promotions bringing foreign stars over. For such cases, you'd need a 'Smartness' setting or something that says how savvy the audience is; if they follow foreign media, only follow companies above a certain size or a certain type (i.e. a lucha fanbase in the US would perceive Mexican workers as big deals and accept them as Star/Major Star, but not care about Japanese deathmatch workers whatsoever).

This was sort of my thought process, there should be like a "normie popularity" and then a hidden "smark popularity"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chikbot said:

This is a separate thing from spillover really though, more like debut hype which would also be a great mechanic to have. Can't spill over into the same region or you've just got infinite pop gains just from signing any geek

• Like 8

This is... yet another, great entry Adam. Huge fan of the spillover addition, and the narratives allowing say WWF -> WWE is so great because in real world mods I end up just manually doing that myself as time passes. More products are always nice! One feature I think I'm really happy about is the looser loyalty, guys like Nakamura and the most recent one being Okada, seemed like NJPW for-for-for-for life kinda guys, but of course that proved to simply be untrue. Sure you have guys like Tanahashi and Naito who truly seem "for life" but yeah. I think now that we have two loyalties implemented from TEW2020, and this new "update" to the loyalty system, it feels perfected, is what I'm trying to say.

1 hour ago, Chikbot said:

I get the argument, but he had a couple of high profile matches in SMASH and PWG beforehand, which likely got him the dark tryout and which inevitably got him signed and instantly dropped into a storyline. There was definitely hype from the more smarter end of the wrestling fanbase.

His dark match to joining JAS was almost 6 months though, and got a lot of pop bump by being in promos by Danielson and Jericho. It wasnt an instant thing rather something slower than most tew debut builds lol

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Chikbot said:

This was sort of my thought process, there should be like a "normie popularity" and then a hidden "smark popularity"

I'd like to see this tied to Products. Some already say 'attract a rowdy/vocal fanbase', so why not expand and add fanbase types.

Lucha Fanbase - pop boost to foreign workers with Luchador style, masked workers, trades from companies with lucha products

Puro Fanbase - same as above for Impactful and companies with Eastern/workrate products

Hardcore Fanbase - same as above for Hardcore/Psychopath and Hardcore-based products

Casual Fanbase - boost to workers that are Actors/Musicians or otherwise known outside of wrestling

Mainstream Fanbase - no style boost, but will accept trades from similar-sized foreign companies as big deals

Smart Fanbase - no style boost, will accept trades from foreign companies as big deals regardless of company size

• Like 12

32 minutes ago, GrindhouseArts said:

I'd like to see this tied to Products. Some already say 'attract a rowdy/vocal fanbase', so why not expand and add fanbase types.

Lucha Fanbase - pop boost to foreign workers with Luchador style, masked workers, trades from companies with lucha products

Puro Fanbase - same as above for Impactful and companies with Eastern/workrate products

Hardcore Fanbase - same as above for Hardcore/Psychopath and Hardcore-based products

Casual Fanbase - boost to workers that are Actors/Musicians or otherwise known outside of wrestling

Mainstream Fanbase - no style boost, but will accept trades from similar-sized foreign companies as big deals

Smart Fanbase - no style boost, will accept trades from foreign companies as big deals regardless of company size

Just to piggyback off this: If you've tried to use talent trading in 2020, then you know that you haven't used it. Because you can't. They absolutely will not accept anyone for any of their major stars, regardless if that major star is more over. If I were to give the WWF, a 99 overness Hiroshi Tanahashi in the United States mind you, they will not trade him for say, an 85 popularity Undertaker. Because... major star. I know we're talking more about permanently signing workers, and I know there was a journal entry that seemingly addressed this. I guess what I am saying is that I would also enjoy if talent trading were also affected by this theoretical brilliant idea the community has come up with.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Peria said:

I know we're talking more about permanently signing workers

I was mostly thinking about Per Appearance and Alliance Loans. That's what I would use more if it could mimic the excitement over foreign guests fans don't get to see live all that often. To go with an extreme example: If I booked Jun Kasai for a deathmatch show in Europe, that would be a big deal in real life because every hardcore and deathmatch fan knows who he is and he rarely works in Europe. In-game, he'd get at best a lukewarm reception because his pop is mostly in Japan and maybe US. In such a case, a Product-bound fanbase that views foreign workers with a specific style as a big deal, regardless of local pop, would solve it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GrindhouseArts said:

I don’t think you need all of that

WMMA has individual momentum (separate from the company) that allows you to bring literal unknowns over and can legitimately headline PPVs under certain conditions

But the catch is that they have to actually deliver. If they do, their momentum accelerates their pop gains and sustains their draw until their pop catches up. If they flop, they will normalize to what their actual name value is.

i think in a wrestling sense, this is the closest I’ve seen to making objectively less popular wrestlers work in prominent positions. I think that’s how perception was intended as well, but I’ve never seen a literal unknown be treated as a star perception wise even with giant momentum success angles.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chase317 said:

I have a 2260 x 1600 display, and adjusting the scaling to 185% in Windows 11 makes TEW fill about 95% of the screen.

image_2024-07-17_001420646.png

Yeah I tried that trust me. Making Windows go anything above 100% makes everything blurry especially the fonts. 185% would be insanely blurry. This is not a viable solution.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/16/2024 at 6:44 PM, LoganRodzen said:

The UI works for a game that has a lot going on "under the hood". I think some people get a little too worked up over how things look as opposed to how things work. I'd rather have an old clunker that gets me from A to B as opposed to a beautiful Ferrari that break down. 

Why are you pretending like the game can't work well AND have a modern UI like any other game that came out in the last 15 years?

It's not one or the other. Plenty of games work well and have modern UI's with adjustable resolution and text sizes. This game is 15 years behind in its UI. That is CRAZY.

Edited by Teldil
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Teldil said:

Why are you pretending like the game can't work well AND have a modern UI like any other game that came out in the last 15 years?

It's not one or the other. Plenty of games work well and have modern UI's with adjustable resolution and text sizes. This game is 15 years behind in its UI and you're defending lazy development. Not sure why. 

Adam is limited by the program that he uses though. There's always an argument that he should learn how to code in more modern programming language but that's completely up to him at the end of the day. If he doesn't feel like he can or doesn't have the time to learn how to do so, then he can only work within the constraints of the language he does understand. And I think what chase317 was referring to was that, should Adam learn a new language, he'd be starting from zero and so the chances are any new game wouldn't be as in depth as TEW is right now anyway, even if it might immediately look/handle better. I don't personally play them, but I know there's been one or two attempts at other booking simulator games that do look better but I think you'd struggle to find anybody that thinks they're as fun to play, or as close to a real life simulator, as TEW. I think everybody secretly (or not so secretly) hopes that Adam will one day surprise us by taking TEW into the next generation but until then, I'm thankful we get to play such a great game - a game that literally occupies me for the years between iterations - and if having to put up with a little 'ugliness' is the only thing I have to put up with, I'm happy to do so. 👍

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Free Picture Searching

By request, the free pictures file can now be searched on a variety of criteria in order to make finding appropriate pictures easier.

Is this to allow searching entries in the editor based on the size & race etc that they're set as in the data?

1 hour ago, Teldil said:

It's not one or the other. Plenty of games work well and have modern UI's with adjustable resolution and text sizes. This game is 15 years behind in its UI. That is CRAZY.

Would you rather have a new TEW with all these great new features and the "antiquated" UI or no new TEW at all? Because, essentially those are the two options. TEW is (mostly) a one-man production and I think the depth that Adam puts into the games is incredible and I'm glad he still makes them. If the UI is a dealbreaker for you, that's your decision to make, but it certainly isn't for me and I think not for many other people either. I played Super Mario Wonder last year and that was a 2D platformer with old-style graphics released in the year 2023. It was incredible. Were Nintendo lazy in their development by using an out-dated style and UI?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TheChef said:

Would you rather have a new TEW with all these great new features and the "antiquated" UI or no new TEW at all? Because, essentially those are the two options. TEW is (mostly) a one-man production and I think the depth that Adam puts into the games is incredible and I'm glad he still makes them. If the UI is a dealbreaker for you, that's your decision to make, but it certainly isn't for me and I think not for many other people either. I played Super Mario Wonder last year and that was a 2D platformer with old-style graphics released in the year 2023. It was incredible. Were Nintendo lazy in their development by using an out-dated style and UI?

Stylistic \ Artistic choices are not the same as outdated UI\UX that doesn't support modern pc screens and makes it technically difficult to enjoy and play. It's a deal breaker for me not because its ugly (and it is very ugly), but because its literally almost unplayable for me due to the resolution. The text is tiny on anything above 1080p and even on 1080p. Modern games have adjustable resolution and text scaling options for a reason. 

Edited by Teldil
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chikbot said:

I was more talking about PPAs and Alliance stuff as well but Talent Trades are a good point too. That system really didn't work in 2020 due to popularity.

3 hours ago, GrindhouseArts said:

I was mostly thinking about Per Appearance and Alliance Loans. That's what I would use more if it could mimic the excitement over foreign guests fans don't get to see live all that often. To go with an extreme example: If I booked Jun Kasai for a deathmatch show in Europe, that would be a big deal in real life because every hardcore and deathmatch fan knows who he is and he rarely works in Europe. In-game, he'd get at best a lukewarm reception because his pop is mostly in Japan and maybe US. In such a case, a Product-bound fanbase that views foreign workers with a specific style as a big deal, regardless of local pop, would solve it.

Okay I see how that was confusing, I was saying I agree with your ideas and want to add that I really want it to be added to Talent Trades as well. "Permanently signing" makes it sound like I mean "exclusivity." That is not the case, I just meant "having them regularly featured on your roster." Sorry about that, but regardless both of your ideas were excellent and I'd like them very much to be included perhaps one day. If the feature gets brought over to also matter for talent trading / one-offs.

Edited by Peria

33 minutes ago, Teldil said:

Stylistic \ Artistic choices are not the same as outdated UI\UX that doesn't support modern pc screens and makes it technically difficult to enjoy and play. It's a deal breaker for me not because its ugly (and it is very ugly), but because its literally almost unplayable for me due to the resolution. The text is tiny on anything above 1080p and even on 1080p. Modern games have adjustable resolution and text scaling options for a reason. 

I have played TEW 2020 on a 4k tv and not had this issue and I am old and need glasses haha.

Is it just the sharpness of the text thats an issue when upscaling? Do you use program DPI or System Enhanced scaling behaviors for modern monitors?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Teldil said:

And "Modern/updated" isn't always better.

Take PWS for example.  The UI being so s------, despite being 1000x 'more modern', is why I can't play that game at all for any length of time.  The only other person I know in real life that plays booking sims as a large wrestling fan thinks generally the same thing about it.

• Like 3