TEW IX Developer's Journal Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, BDani said:

Since the game has an absolute set resolution, it will give you big usability problems both if you try to play it on lower resolution screens (like a Steam Deck, for example) or on higher resolution screens (aka most modern screen that cost any more than $150 these days). It has nothing to do with "using a 60 inch TV screen for your computer monitor"... that, ironically, would probably help with the visibility problem.

I have an ultrawide (21:9 ratio) 1440p monitor and TEW is absolutely miniscule on it. It's crazy that having a better monitor makes your experience far worse on the game. At the same time, I have a steam deck and the only reason why I can't use it to happily play wherever I want is because the resolution is a few pixels bigger than the Deck screen.

I raised a second layer of the onion, specifically about the Steam Deck, that I believe to be very important, although I accept it to be niche.

I own a ROG Ally and installed TEW on it. It was not going to be a fun experience due to the screen size, onscreen keyboard, etc. (no matter if the game could dynamically adapt to the size). I've also tried TEW on touchscreen computer screens - not fun, in my experience. TEW is a point, click, and read game. 

I've played TEW on 10.1", 12", 13", 14", 15" laptops. I've used various computer monitors over the years. The issues you are describing have never been my experience. I'm just confused if you are using different DPI settings or scaling settings affecting how it looks for you? 

7 hours ago, Adam Ryland said:

The default pictures are transparent GIFs. By their nature, they don't have a background.

There is an alternate JPG set too. These have plain dark backgrounds.

But if I'm carrying over a save from tew2020 with mods and they just jpg. What do I do 

I think a smaller journal entry today, but still a welcome one. I actually like the training facility change the most! I also... thought that workers could rarely acquire like "Political Interest" and such in TEW2020! I just thought it was so rare or never affected by guys. Gosh that's embarrassing. Of course the big one being the personal goals that each worker can have is probably going to be the standout today but I just wanted to highlight some that might've not gotten enough love. Though I was busy all day today and didn't get to read this thread like I usually can.

I know this was from yesterday, but I can't decide how I feel about the new spillover mechanic. 

On the one hand, it's a great change that will hopefully remove the hassle of having to burn a long time slowly building up the pop of already established stars you bring in. It took me almost a year in a TCW save to get Emerald Angel up to a half decent pop, for example. 

On the other hand, it kinda prevents a repeat of my favorite TEW 2020 save, which I affectionately dubbed the "ZEN retirement home." I spent the first few years improving merchandise as quick as I could until we could sell merch outside of our home region. Then I signed a bunch of really old foreign stars to super cheap contracts because they had very low pop in Oceania. People that the bigger companies didn't want any more cause they were too far in decline. They contributed basically nothing to the show, but I made bank by selling merch. Now, it sounds like they'll have pop and I'll have to actually pay them what they're worth! 😨

In all seriousness, I'm really looking forward to a lot of these changes! 

7 minutes ago, Shaman_at-Dawn said:

I've been away for a long time, and I am catching up on all the news of IX. I can't remember, do they release an editor BEFORE launch?

That was the case in the past, but not for the last few versions of the game

5 hours ago, Amyzyng said:

I really liked Shake It Up for what it accomplished though I can acknowledge that it may not have been in the best taste given real-life events.

Eh. Large catastrophic plane crashes are rare. Drug overdoses are in the game and happen way more frequently in real life. I enjoyed it for what it was and played around with that cheat for a couple of saves.

Still hoping that owned broadcasters get a rework. They should cost a lot of money to keep up and running. Most streaming services right now aren't even making a profit. In TEW2020 they're basically a gamebreaking money glitch past a certain point.

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, Paxlux said:

Still hoping that owned broadcasters get a rework. They should cost a lot of money to keep up and running. Most streaming services right now aren't even making a profit. In TEW2020 they're basically a gamebreaking money glitch past a certain point.

Yeah, I would like to see self-owned broadcasters lose a lot of money in the first few years. Like, I read online how newer streaming services tend to lose billions of dollars in the first few years running, so it's very unrealistic that in TEW that a niche wrestling subscription service can churn out millions of dollars in profit.

I think Mammoth mentioned earlier how much time some of us have spent playing this game. I have play this game series more than any other game series ever. I remember being in high school playing EWD. I've spent so much time playing TEW20. I just recently went back and glanced at TEW2004 and my gosh it doesn't even feel like the same game. The amount of thought that has gone into improving this game over the last twenty years is incredible. Even going back to 16 and goofing around I forgot just how many features were missing from that version. He's giving us all of these details and a lot of them sound exciting but its really going to be a treat to see how much more enhanced they make our games. So many things that seemed like small additions in the past have gone onto to have huge impacts on my game. I'm as giddy for this release as I have been for any of them. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EdJames said:

What was the Easter Egg in the end? I remember mention of it around release, but never saw it happen in any of my games.

Was it the plane crash? I answer with zero conviction.

1 hour ago, Stennick said:

I think Mammoth mentioned earlier how much time some of us have spent playing this game. I have play this game series more than any other game series ever. I remember being in high school playing EWD. I've spent so much time playing TEW20. I just recently went back and glanced at TEW2004 and my gosh it doesn't even feel like the same game. The amount of thought that has gone into improving this game over the last twenty years is incredible. Even going back to 16 and goofing around I forgot just how many features were missing from that version. He's giving us all of these details and a lot of them sound exciting but its really going to be a treat to see how much more enhanced they make our games. So many things that seemed like small additions in the past have gone onto to have huge impacts on my game. I'm as giddy for this release as I have been for any of them. 

AGREE! I'm 38. remember staying up late when EWR 1 came out. being upset when he quit the free EWR and went to TEW. I'm glad I follow him. I'm gonna play tew2020 till the next one comes out. UI is what is it. bug and little quirks, are what they are. it's one of my favorite games. I'm waiting for the next one, and the next one..... and the next one. 35 or 40 dollars. worth it. I got alllll my money worth out of this one. 

I can't believe that a product that i suggested a long time ago (San Ring Circus) is going to be in the game. Although i'm also curious about the Rainbow Hardcore product and Calgary Realism (which i assume it must be Stampede Wrestling)

10 hours ago, EdJames said:

What was the Easter Egg in the end? I remember mention of it around release, but never saw it happen in any of my games.

There’s an extremely low chance of someone debuting with an homage to the shockmaster where they fall flat on their face.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Goliathus said:

I think SEA is stuck in an early blooming phase for wrestling for years -- there are some wrestling events but it's very hard to grow a fed here. At least that's what I see as a Malaysian.

Would definitely like to see it blossom much better in a fantasy world.

I mean I think the same could be said about wrestling in India for the most part. https://www.wrestlemap.com/map Based on this it seems there's just an equal number in of promotions between India and SEA where I think there's a case for both regions to be included, but probably not enough where there needs to be 2 seperate regions.

Not to mention NJPW starting a partnership/alliance with a couple of promotions across SEA at the start of the year which builds some precedent to at least consider it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pteroid said:

There’s an extremely low chance of someone debuting with an homage to the shockmaster where they fall flat on their face.

That wasn't an easter egg, it was just part of the game - there's loads of incidents and events that have an extremely low chance of happening, that's just because they're rare in reality, not because they were meant to be hidden!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paxlux said:

I keep checking every weekday hoping we get some info on it lol. I feel the broadcasting system entirely needs some touching. I hope it goes back to when you can have TV deals aired on different days, and far as your own broadcasting goes maybe have a choice to have a parent broadcaster to cut costs like WWE on peacock

Edited by harrypotterhead

6 hours ago, Paxlux said:

Agreed but imo that's not a top priority as you can just chose to not have one. I think i've used it like once and never again since it's too powerful.

Also I think an overall rework on finance could kinda fix this kind of stuff. Same thing is company wars are harder and more punitive, it will help this matter

I LOVE the pre show & post show build/round up, this is a really great change.

And the biggest change for me, finance reworking. I absolutely love that. I would love more detail if you can give us some Adam, does it mean that, for example, WWE, could actually go in negative money if they dont handle it well?