General Gameplay Questions Thread

1 hour ago, St. Templar said:

I'm not sure I should list this on the tech support forum, so I thought I would check in here first.

I was booking a show and wanted to hype a match between the tag team that had just won a match and another team which was on the other brand, but since I was not using that brand, I'd given the second tag team the night off. Now, I was almost positive I'd done this before with no problem (set up an angle with my commentators as "Segment Host", the team that was present as "Non-Speaking Appearance" and the guys who had the night off as "Off-Screen"), but when I went to add the guys who had the night off, they weren't available for this scenario.

I thought we still could use workers given the night off as "Subject of Video" or "Off-Screen" in angles. Am I wrong or was this a glitch and I should report it on the tech support forum?

St.T

You've likely got brand booking enabled so the other team wouldn't show up given that they're on a different brand.

• Like 3

On 8/25/2024 at 6:08 PM, BigDPW said:

Quick Pop Gain Question - 

If you are a company that runs only live events (no TV or PPV) and you book someone in a preshow match will they still gain the same pop as they would in a regular card match?

I am running a MAW save and wondering if I there is any benefit to putting some little pop workers on the card vs just having them do preshow matches.

Anyone have any insight into this preshow vs normal show popularity gain question for non-televised events?

54 minutes ago, Mayor McCheese said:

Did I miss something? I am used to having User Talents in 2020.  Was this removed in 9? I can’t seem to find them,  but maybe I am just blind.

They are removed. It's covered in the developer diary (day 9):

https://forum.greydogsoftware.com/topic/57253-tew-ix-announcement-developers-journal/#comment-1494481

More Realistic Avatars

The way the user avatar functions has been made more realistic, removing the more overtly "gamey" elements like the user talents and the iron fist / velvet glove system. In their place, the game instead uses the avatar's personality, skills and attributes for evaluating how they interact with people and what their ability level is. Additionally, it keeps track of their decisions and actions in order to figure out how they'd be viewed by other people and what their reputation would be. The end result is that you've got a more realistic system where it should feel more like you "are" the avatar and, as it's all handled by the game without the user needing to do anything, it's a smoother process that requires less work from the user.

Mortal Avatars

In previous games the user avatar has always been immortal, a situation that was necessary for coding reasons. As this is obviously unrealistic and the code reasons no longer apply, this has now changed and the avatar will eventually pass away. However, they do get special protection in that they aren't eligible for random deaths and can't die before the age of 66 under any circumstance; these special conditions are to stop it ruining games by having your avatar suddenly die when you're in the middle of something. Once you get close to the point where your avatar is eligible to die, the game will explicitly warn you and recommend that you utilise the next feature to be covered...

Changing Avatars

...which is the Change Avatar button. This is available from the Options screen and can be used whenever you want (i.e. you don't have to wait for your avatar to get old in order to use it, it's available all the time, even if you just want to change things up). This gives you the following choices:

New Avatar: Either Selection or Regeneration. If you choose Selection then you choose an existing character as your new avatar (exactly as you do when you start a new game or choose to add a new player). If you choose Regeneration, your new avatar is created by applying the normal regeneration process on the old avatar. You get to pick the name, picture and biography, and can also select whether it's a legacy character (if you do choose to be a legacy character then you start with a relationship to the old avatar).

Career: Either Choose or Replace. If you select Choose then you either select a company to work for or choose to be unemployed (again, exactly as you do when you start a new game or add a new player). If you choose Replace then your new avatar simply replaces the old avatar in the job they had; any existing storylines, pre-bookings, stables, etc, are all retained, so it's a direct continuation.

Old Avatar: Either Retire, Normalise or Normalise & Release. Choosing Retire means that the old avatar leaves the business immediately. Normalise means that the old avatar becomes a normal AI-controlled character and keeps whatever their current status is, including remaining on the roster of the company they were booking. Choosing Normalise & Release is the same as Normalise, except the old avatar is released from whatever company they were head booker of.

You still retain your user-specific features (like your user log, shortlist, etc) after changing the avatar as it's a continuation of your journey as a player rather than a hard reset.

Note that if your avatar does die before you choose to change, the game will then not be able to continue until you pick a new avatar (or leave the game, in multiplayer scenarios).

Overall, this new system gets rid of the unrealistic nature of the avatar mysteriously being immortal whilst giving you much more flexibility over being able to change characters whenever you want. It also means that you can very easily create a legacy, with your original avatar potentially being succeeded by their children (and potentially grandchildren). The Change Avatar button is also really handy if you just decide you want to move on to a different company for a fresh challenge, as you no longer need to go through the process of adding new players, having old players leave the game, etc.

If the user's avatar has a Wealth rating of Rich or greater, they will automatically be able to donate some of their personal funds when founding a new company. Previously this was a feature that could only be used by AI characters. This is just another little move towards better integrating the avatar into the game world rather than being an exception.

Gimmick Memory

When a worker leaves a company, the fans will remember their gimmick for three months - if the worker returns within that time period, the company has the option of restoring the gimmick in the state it was when they left. This is especially useful for workers who are likely to make several one-off appearances (such as local workers or alliance trades) as it means you don't have to restart from scratch each time. It also means that if someone happens to land upon a great gimmick, you've not lost it once they leave - you could resign them in order to capitalise on their good fortune.

Crowd Heat Display

The crowd's heat level is now shown on screen when displaying a show's segments to the user. This makes it easier to follow along with how it's altering over time and makes crowd management a little easier.

Wrestling And Crowd Ratings

For added detail, the match output screen now lists the individual wrestling and crowd ratings for the bout as well as the overall rating that you're familiar with. This is just a little extra detail that some people have requested.

Editing During Booking

The in-game editor is now available during the evening phase of the game so that you can make edits during the booking phase if you want to.

Power 500 Placeholders & Alternates

By request, the power 500 editor now allows placeholder text to be added - this means that workers who aren't in the database can be included. This is particularly useful for historical data. Additionally, the text can be used to create alternate names for workers, allowing them to appear with an alter ego or a past identity. This all just gives database makers a little extra control.

Company Editor Sub-Screens

By request, the company editor now has sub-screens that allow the user to alter events, title belts, tag teams and stables. This makes editing quicker as it removes the need to go to a different section of the editor.

I have a question before starting my first long time save.

I would like the game to generate new wrestlers, I remember long ago in TEW 16 it was possible to set up images for random wrestlers? But I can't seem to grasp where to do this in TEW IX? 

Also with the new profile image style, is there a pack of images that could be used for this cause?

Hi,

In previous editions whenever a wrestler was regenerated there was a chance he was a relative of his previous version. So far I have not seen this happen in TEW 9. Was the feature removed?? Really loved it was a great feature as now it seems only masked legacies can be related to each other

Thanks

12 hours ago, Eugucgi said:

I would like the game to generate new wrestlers, I remember long ago in TEW 16 it was possible to set up images for random wrestlers? But I can't seem to grasp where to do this in TEW IX?

It is in the same place - the Free Pictures part of the editor.

17 minutes ago, catropis84 said:

In previous editions whenever a wrestler was regenerated there was a chance he was a relative of his previous version. So far I have not seen this happen in TEW 9. Was the feature removed?? Really loved it was a great feature as now it seems only masked legacies can be related to each other

It hasn't changed. The Blood Relative part of the Legacy indicates whether they can / will be related or not.

2 hours ago, Adam Ryland said:

It hasn't changed. The Blood Relative part of the Legacy indicates whether they can / will be related or not.

Thanks for the reply. I understood the Legacy part, was wondering if non-legacy regenerated works still spawn a relative when they regen.

Example A worker retires in Sept 2022. In TEW 2020, in Sept 2023 a new worker with his picture would regenerate and there was a chance he was a relative of the worker who's pic he used. So far when the picture is regenerated haven't seen it be a relative of the previous worker  this in TEW9 so was wondering if it is still a feature?

Thanks

I have decided to go full wanker and build an alliance which features a Tiny Size (max small) promotion in every Region of the US, and in one region of each other Area. These companies are part of an Alliance. I set each company to only run shows in "home region". I intend each company to become no bigger than small, and checked it. I gave each company a Men's Regional Title and Women's Regional Title. Next, I created Alliance Titles for Men's World, Women's World, World Tag, then mult-area titles such as the Pacific Championship, Commonwealth Championship, Asia Championship, etc. Then, I gave each of these regions a Tiny Size Broadcaster that has Tiny coverage in that area. I set these broadcasters to be owned by a Media Group - this Media Group also owns all companies in the alliance.

1. Would it be better for the companies to be owned by the Media Group itself, or by the individual broadcaster in their region?

2. Bordered, Territorial, and Protective types of alliance will block me from setting up one tiny size PPV network for all companies to broadcast events on "you can't have a show in my home", right? Is there one of them I can use while still setting up this network or do I have to choose between the two?

3. Will this be a viable construct? Should I just ditch the network element and just give them all a weekly event and monthly event?

Edited by thadian

I want to create a mask that gets passed around from one wrestler to the next regularly, and whoever wears it gets the popularity of the mask.

This would be a similar thing to Suicide in TNA.

Can this be done in IX? If so, please can someone tell me how?

Could I even have a tag team doing this?

On 8/27/2024 at 11:23 AM, Adam Ryland said:

You've likely got brand booking enabled so the other team wouldn't show up given that they're on a different brand.

You know, you're likely right. I would have been thinking about that on previous versions...but since I knew I'd sent all of "Brand X" home for that show...😁 I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks for the reply

My Head Women's Trainer has worked on Basics and Safety for every show I've ever done.

Never seen the Men's Trainer do anything.

My question is, is there something I can set so that she trains something else? Or that the Men's trainer does it instead?  Or is this more general feedback indicating that some training happened?

14 hours ago, beemer said:

My Head Women's Trainer has worked on Basics and Safety for every show I've ever done.

Never seen the Men's Trainer do anything.

My question is, is there something I can set so that she trains something else? Or that the Men's trainer does it instead?  Or is this more general feedback indicating that some training happened?

In your inner circle screen if you click on the role name (i.e "Head Woman Trainer" - not on the name of the person assigned), a pop-up box will give a detailed explanation of the role. Trainers only improve basics skills for inexperienced workers (basically rookies) so the fact that you are not getting any notes for the Men's Trainer suggests that you don't have anyone on your roster that qualifies for training.

11 minutes ago, VBigB said:

In your inner circle screen if you click on the role name (i.e "Head Woman Trainer" - not on the name of the person assigned), a pop-up box will give a detailed explanation of the role. Trainers only improve basics skills for inexperienced workers (basically rookies) so the fact that you are not getting any notes for the Men's Trainer suggests that you don't have anyone on your roster that qualifies for training.

To add on to that, if you go into where you chose your trainer and click the one you currently have assigned it will tell you how many people they are able to train.

19 minutes ago, Bent said:

To add on to that, if you go into where you chose your trainer and click the one you currently have assigned it will tell you how many people they are able to train.

I'm not at the game now, but I picked my Men's trainer because it said he could train 10+ people.  I have fresh-through-the-door men's rookies on the roster. 

You know, I am set up as an intergender wrestling company - does that perhaps factor in, and the Women's Trainer is just training everyone, men and women?

Edited by beemer

1 hour ago, beemer said:

You know, I am set up as an intergender wrestling company - does that perhaps factor in, and the Women's Trainer is just training everyone, men and women?

I’ve honestly only played QAW so I have no idea. I guess if you wanted to do some troubleshooting / experimentation, you could make a copy of your save. In the copy get rid of your head woman’s trainer and run your next show with just a head men’s trainer and see what happens. 

1 hour ago, Seanaxel01 said:

Are we able to import workers mid save from another database? What's the order to load the items? Ie Workers, Contracts, Moveset etc.

Someone posted this guide for importing into a database (sorry, I don't remember who it was!). Obviously only some of these things can be imported into a save (Options > Import Data), but the order would be the same.

Importing Guide - Order of Operations:
Import These First! (Exact order)
Moves
Movesets
Workers
Companies
Events
Titles
Training Facilities
TV Shows
Media Groups
Broadcasters
Broadcasting Deals

Then Import These! (No exact order here)
Alliance Members
Alter Egos
Company Relationships
Chemistry
Graduates
Venues and Locations
Tag Teams
Stables
Worker Relationships

• Thanks 1