TEW IX Public Beta Release Reaction Thread

After playing the game quite a bit,i have found it quite... underwhelming at best.

CVerse is basically the same thing as before,but with even less wrestlers because apparently in CVerse after 40 years old you cant fight anymore and there are not many rookies debuting. Some of the wrestlers not even their descriptions were changed.

I have mixed opinion about The AI pictures. Some of them look really good(like bb colossus,Animal Harker and Marat Khoklov), But a LOT of them look really stupid(Jack Bruce,Rocky Golden and The Great Majority of the Masked Wrestlers).

The Pre-show Phases are ok,but after clicking "choose the best option" you cant see if its truly the best option.

The Angle Changes are quite nice,but man,i agree with the people criticizing it. after quite some time it becomes quite a chore,cool for roleplaying though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danilo062 said:

After playing the game quite a bit,i have found it quite... underwhelming at best.

CVerse is basically the same thing as before,but with even less wrestlers because apparently in CVerse after 40 years old you cant fight anymore and there are not many rookies debuting. Some of the wrestlers not even their descriptions were changed.

I have mixed opinion about The AI pictures. Some of them look really good(like bb colossus,Animal Harker and Marat Khoklov), But a LOT of them look really stupid(Jack Bruce,Rocky Golden and The Great Majority of the Masked Wrestlers).

The Pre-show Phases are ok,but after clicking "choose the best option" you cant see if its truly the best option.

The Angle Changes are quite nice,but man,i agree with the people criticizing it. after quite some time it becomes quite a chore,cool for roleplaying though. 

Do you mean to say that in the new game, wrestlers just up and retire at 40? Despite many wrestlers in the real world having successful careers past that age?

Just now, MightyDavidson said:

Do you mean to say that in the new game, wrestlers just up and retire at 40? Despite many wrestlers in the real world having successful careers past that age?

There's a lot of wrestlers in their early 40s who have just inexplicitly retired in the C-Verse with no explained reason beyond "wanting to retire".

• Like 4

Just now, Chikbot said:

There's a lot of wrestlers in their early 40s who have just inexplicitly retired in the C-Verse with no explained reason beyond "wanting to retire".

And how many of those were successful wrestlers with no severe medical issues to speak of, who could've conceivably continued to be part of the game?

• Like 2

Angles: Is there any difference from 2020 to use multiple quick adds? Wouldn't that be basically what it was before? 

So Copeland calls out Christian who responds (angle 1  instead of part 1) and Killswitch attacks Copeland from behind (didn't Adam hear the thunderous Dino steps?) and Christian joins in the beatdown (angle 2). 

Seems about the same to me, just doesn't allow for the tidy full segment that the multi-part angles provide. 

I do hope Adam looks into adjusting the process a but, I agree so far its a little complicated but I think it'll be OK. 

4 minutes ago, Danilo062 said:

There's an update pack I'll share in the coming week that has redone virtually ever masked wrestler in the game. I just needed to see the format Adam was using before formatting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MightyDavidson said:

Wrestlers don't just retire at a specific age in the game, as with real life retirements can span from very young to pretty old. Sounds very much like this is a complaint about the Cornellverse data which is different from the gameplay mechanics.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chikbot said:

I unretire them. I see the C-verse as a starting point. I try to use a light touch as I don't want to make it too easy for me but if I think someone would still be active (or it would be fun) I change it. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the quick add angle seems to be basically the old system if people don't want to the deep stuff, and if you're doing multi-part angles, but don't want to do the deeper stuff the new angle system allows, that seems like an edge case. There'll be times I'll go deep into stuff for my wacky opening angles that have multi-parts, but it seems like maybe an extra click to do the standard issue 4-minute backstage promo. 

I do think maybe something could be done for B-shows or touring shows where the pre-show stuff can be skipped more easily. 

Edited by jesseewiak

Just now, MightyDavidson said:

And how many of those were successful wrestlers with no severe medical issues to speak of, who could've conceivably continued to be part of the game?

There's a good strong few that do not specify injuries as a reason for retirement who were decently successful.

2 minutes ago, Markw said:

Wrestlers don't just retire at a specific age in the game, as with real life retirements can span from very young to pretty old. Sounds very much like this is a complaint about the Cornellverse data which is different from the gameplay mechanics.

No, I was wanting to make certain that I understood him correctly.  Hence why it was phrased as a question.

4 minutes ago, Markw said:

This is especially true in Japan and the UK and overall more so now than like 20 years ago,  Wrestlers are working into older and older ages even despite injury.

After clicking around a bit I guess I'll pass on this game and stick to 2020.

Might sound superficial and I'm sure no one will tell me how bad a person I'm for it, but the Gender ID stuff is just too front and center for how I play the game. Going from 3 options to 11 of which 8 are irrelevant to me and 2 are slurs - yeah, no, not interested for the little improvements I found otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 24

I just looked with the filter and yeah at the start of the game, there are 0 active wrestlers 50 or older, and exactly one at 49. That's definitely a big difference from real life, where there are not only a lot of older wrestlers but I'd even say plenty who are still capable of having very good matches into their 50s.

I'm personally okay with C-Verse being unique and developing its own way but yeah, if you're someone who values having it reflect real life that's an element of modern wrestling that's missing

• Like 8

So its got great potential I'm loving the booking team and inside circle so well thought out cant wait for the real world mods to come into play feel like its going to be polished even more and better looking like a top notch game in the next few weeks

9 minutes ago, Zeel1 said:

I just looked with the filter and yeah at the start of the game, there are 0 active wrestlers 50 or older, and exactly one at 49. That's definitely a big difference from real life, where there are not only a lot of older wrestlers but I'd even say plenty who are still capable of having very good matches into their 50s.

I'm personally okay with C-Verse being unique and developing its own way but yeah, if you're someone who values having it reflect real life that's an element of modern wrestling that's missing

Specifically, the cutoff point for activity as a wrestler seems to be 48, there's no wrestlers above that line

Edit: by that unofficial "rule", Randy Orton would be retired in 4 years time.

Edited by Chikbot

Has anyone gotten 2020 pictures to work in TEW9? I removed the "People" subdirectory from the default picture directory and replaced it with the one from TEW2020, but now every worker in the database is set to "_Blank Background.jpg" instead of their corresponding 2020 pictures.

Just now, littledaniel said:

Has anyone gotten 2020 pictures to work in TEW9? I removed the "People" subdirectory from the default picture directory and replaced it with the one from TEW2020, but now every worker in the database is set to "_Blank Background.jpg" instead of their corresponding 2020 pictures.

Default_Alt is the data/pack that uses jpeg. It sounds like you replaced the gif photos for the gif database (Default) which won’t work

• Like 1

Just my immediate thoughts; the new renders take a little while to get used to but after a couple of hours I was getting on board with them. I actually quite like the company backgrounds they use, it makes it easy to tell at a glance who's completely unemployed and who isn't and as somebody who prefers to bring in fresh faces that makes a difference.

As for the database, given how much bodywork was done on the game system I can forgive the lack of development but yeah, it does feel a bit samey. Still good, I'm liking the game so far and there's plenty to respond to, but in an ideal world I'd hope for a new game in the next 18 months or so with 40-50 new workers, like when 2k8 was followed by 10. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Markw said:

I'd suggest that if you don't want people s**tting on your work in public you should probably avoid doing it with other people's.

Not to mention, there are several alternate original renders of those characters that look much better than the default stuff. It's kind of silly picking on the old content as a strawman when much better non-AI original stuff also exists across various forums.

Edited by TheDeep5ix
  • Like 3

Oh wow, catching up on this was a rollercoaster. Some people have zero chill.

I spent most of my post-launch evening reading the list of game updates (despite having already read most of them on the developer's journal) and catching up with CVerse updates. Not much seems to have changed in two in-game years, but I don't mind it that much. The lore shifts have always been sort of slow from version to version, so a bunch of huge changes just to shake everything up would have thrown me off as Russo-isms, directionless crash TV swerves for little more than short term shock value.

The portraits will take some time getting used to, before I decide to stick with them or revert to the old Daz-style ones. On one hand, I appreciate the uniform look. On the other, many of them feel a bit bland to me and similar to each other, lacking the character of previous ones. Again, regardless on my opinion on the ethics of AI arts, I see the pros and cons of both sides here and will reserve judgement.

Likewise, the interface will take some getting used to. The office screen hasn't changed that much and with familiarity will come speed of navigation and less brain capacity required to do so.

I loved the creative team and inner circle parts. More fine tuning and politics, plus drama on the news for other promotions.

Went to book a show, liked the checklist but didn't know who to use and who to give the night off to. All the more reason to pre-book, which I always believe I should bother doing anyway.

Was doing GSW, thought a one man booking would be underwhelming but I actually got a 50% bonus for being a one man team without anyone throwing me off or having to argue/convince. Nice touch. Used the CE to buy a creative finish for my main event, then Cali Slick also had a gimmick idea, which I blew on Kandii, who starts the game without a gimmick and would be punished for not having one.

Was stuck about what matches to book. Tried to do an angle but apparently I was at the limit of what new information I could absorbed, so decided to call it a night.

I'll sleep on it and return with a fresher mond to do a show and see more of the game.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Idolized said:

Default_Alt is the data/pack that uses jpeg. It sounds like you replaced the gif photos for the gif database (Default) which won’t work

You were right that I wasn't using the Default_Alt, but unfortunately that didn't work either. All workers still have the default grey, ghosty image unless I go through the editor and set each one to the right picture.

4 minutes ago, littledaniel said:

You were right that I wasn't using the Default_Alt, but unfortunately that didn't work either. All workers still have the default grey, ghosty image unless I go through the editor and set each one to the right picture.

I’ve found it works if you go into the settings and change the database to the Alt one and then start a new game.

After about 10 minutes, I went back to the borders