TEW IX Public Beta Release Reaction Thread

19 minutes ago, D.W. said:

It's a custom mod I made. No one has any hidden attributes.

I'm going to just delete and re-add all of the attributes one by one to see what's flagging it.

Edit: Yeah, this has to be a bug. If I use the in-game editor to delete and then add all of the same attributes, the penalty goes away.

Apologies if you've already done so, I couldn't spot anything, but open a thread in Tech Support https://forum.greydogsoftware.com/forum/136-total-extreme-wrestling-ix-tech-support/

Another possibly dumb question. I'm trying to convert a real world mod. I've got the 2020 database in the folder that I created but don't see it in the list to convert. Do I need to delete the TEW IX database first?

4 minutes ago, JCStensland said:

Another possibly dumb question. I'm trying to convert a real world mod. I've got the 2020 database in the folder that I created but don't see it in the list to convert. Do I need to delete the TEW IX database first?

Did you create the TWIX database first and then copy the 2020 file across? Are you sure you've copied the TEW2020.mdb file and not a save game? Are you in admin mode?

You should have two folders (Intros and SaveGames) and two MDB files TEW9 and TEW2020.

40 minutes ago, newbiezness said:

Of course it should have been a priority! If you read my whole message that's what I mean:

By the way I didn't play 2016, my first TEW game was 2020. I don't know if 2016 's UI was better than 2020. Do you mean 2016 > 2020 > IX , really?

IMO, yes. 16 was the last game to run at a smaller resolution. The smaller space made everything feel tighter and forced economical design choices. There were more graphics--or, at least, more meaningful graphics. (Can't believe they've added more numbers to the match rating screen and they're still presented in such a bland way.) When 20 upgraded to the larger resolution (a good change), that space was never utilized very wisely. There's been only small improvements with the new version.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mammoth said:

There are plenty of people who like the GIF versions, but the normal JPEG versions were included for people like you who may prefer it the "old" way.

I do like the GIF versions. In fact, I exclusively used GIF versions in TEW20. It worked just fine and there was no need to sacrifice size. The only 'problem' was that stable images were a bit restricted. Afaik, I was one of the only people that used this as all screens I saw used the 'old' system.

Thanks for your response, as it seems this isn't coded in but just space reserved. I was losing my mind. Let's see how it looks when people start making their logo edits. 🙂

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jhd1 said:

Did you create the TWIX database first and then copy the 2020 file across? Are you sure you've copied the TEW2020.mdb file and not a save game? Are you in admin mode?

You should have two folders (Intros and SaveGames) and two MDB files TEW9 and TEW2020.

Could've swore I reopened the game after setting it to automatically run as an admin but again, I'm a dummy. It's converting now. Here's hoping the learning curve isn't that big. Thanks!

Okay, tell me if I'm blowing smoke - but is the Ami Russell portrait an aged up version of Sophie from the original EWR? Something about the picture is so familiar.

Edited by benjirino

1 hour ago, newbiezness said:

Of course it should have been a priority! If you read my whole message that's what I mean:

By the way I didn't play 2016, my first TEW game was 2020. I don't know if 2016 's UI was better than 2020. Do you mean 2016 > 2020 > IX , really?

Have to agree. for me 2016 was the best. If 2016 had a few of th additions 20 and 9 have it would have been perfect

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, benjirino said:

Okay, tell me if I'm blowing smoke - but is the Ami Russell portrait an aged up version of Sophie from the original EWR? Something about the picture is so familiar.

Cant see the resemblance at all mate

• Haha 1

It would be cool if the TEW16 - "Sent to work there" was brought back.  It's never been more pertinent than now and not having tit there is really unrealistic.

Being able to filter the booking screen by division would be helpful (by the normal booking screen, not an additional filter).

We should be able to add trios in the same way as adding tag teams, rather than doing it all via stables.  

Now, can anyone tell me HOW I can see a contract for a non-signed wrestler?  I'm playing an AEW save and I can't see when the contracts of any WWE or New Japan talent expires.  Whther I do it from the search screen or even properly go into the record, I cannot see how.

• Like 4

About 10 hours now in on my demo. Love the new UI, love the backstage stuff. Zipping around is far easier than in 2020 and honestly feels like the biggest upgrade. Tabs are a huge add. Love it. 

Adore the angle system. Feels far more like booking an angle to me especially with the roles (interviewer actually makes me use the Marvez's of the world) and being able to get world class level promos out of 3 minutes of promo work now is way more realistic in my opinion. No more 6 minute unscripted easy A.

Need to mess more with inner circle and booking team but using CE's is fun as heck. 

Just a lot of positives. My negatives remain what they were in the dev journal thread so wont rehash here. 

• Like 14
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, McMenemy said:

It would be cool if the TEW16 - "Sent to work there" was brought back.  It's never been more pertinent than now and not having tit there is really unrealistic.

wouldnt they all be "sent to work there" as in 20 and 9 development and working in a child company are different. No one complains ripw or roh wont help them learn they complain they are too big a star to work there.

Edit: and you dont need a child company to make use of a PC

Edited by Astil

I have been around since EWR and played every iteration of this series and only found out about TEW IX on Friday evening, literally the night before it's release. I've only been able to get an hour or two with it so my first impressions are still quite limited.

The angle update is probably the most consequential, and for me, was clearly in a desperate need of an update. After spending more hours in TEW 2020 than any other video game the one thing that has always sort of made the game a bit monotonous was how bland and rigid the angle system was. It didn't allow for the kind of nuance you could have with booking matches, which I found unfortunate, since the overwhelming majority of building story in real life is done through angles.

So I read the first fifteen or so pages here and I see a lot of negativity about this update to the angle system, which I think is to be expected when something this vital to gameplay gets an overhaul. It's bound to be controversial, especially in a series that has two decades of equity built up with it's customer base. 

I get the desire to book quickly and move along, and I think the quick angle option does give the flexibility to do that, but my experience is that booking that way eventually gets monotonous as angles and storylines all begin to look the same. The new angle system encourages more creativity, nuance, and thoughtfulness with direct control over how the angle impacts the workers involved and their various storylines they're engaged in while at the same time offering a more streamlined option for speed bookers. I think this change will go a long way towards keeping the game fresh and welcome it.

I get that the new quick angle booking system is still a bit more tedious than the old system, but it is much faster than the freestyle angle option that I eventually began using most of the time. You also don't waste time looking for a perfect pre-written angle. To me, it's a wash on time and a much more rewarding system for those who want their angles to mean something and have multifaceted implications. 

I remember a firestorm of criticism when TEW 2020 launched too. Maybe I just play it different than others do but I never hated the last iteration, and I am sure I will enjoy this one. The angle changes are the primary reason why.

• Like 12

I will say I got far more enjoyment when I switched back to renders. I am sure no one is surprised but the small errors that are nearly impossible to buff out with AI in the default pack kept taking me out. Highly suggest if the ai bugs you to try the game with renders. If not enjoy the new art.

Edited by Astil
  • Like 3

Ok so my initial thoughts after spending an hour or so playing as DSPW, the only new promotion added and the lone promotion from India:

1. The Creative Energy and Inner Circle are great additions.

2. The renders would take some time to get used to. There will definitely be other pic packs which can be utilized in near future so not to worried about them.

3. I actually like how neatly all the information for workers are arranged in different tabs so you just need to click on each tab to get the desired information.

4. I really love that Track Progress is back, i missed it so much.

5. The new angle system will definitely take time to get used to. It's cumbersome at the beginning but probably few more gameplays later, i will get used to it.

6. I haven't yet got into scheduling so will do that and post my feedback after doing so.

7. C-verse has not changed much but some addition feels bang on like the Gallardo Cartel in FCW and their rip-offs, Mendoza Cartel in IPW. I had a good laugh reading their description.

8. The roster of DSPW is meh, it looks straight from some C grade Bollywood movie but probably spending a little bit more time can change my mind, although i am excited about the ongoing storyline between Thor and Kolkata Jai (such a stupid name though)

• Like 1

LOVE this addition to the booking screen with adjusting stuff, allowing you to extend or shorten show length, give sub-titles to event names, and add any extra little bits to them during the show:

image.thumb.png.2172f5a256663cecd324e82146aabe1b.png

Edited by benjirino
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Astil said:

wouldnt they all be "sent to work there" as in 20 and 9 development and working in a child company are different. No one complains ripw or roh wont help them learn they complain they are too big a star to work there.

Edit: and you dont need a child company to make use of a PC

The issue I have now is "I have no desire to go there because it's too small" whereas the "sent to work there" or whatever it was before meant you weren't looking at them as a development guy and it just meant you could send slightly more over people to work there on occasion to support a roster, like NXT black and gold.

• Like 2

I've enjoyed the demo so far but it will definitely take me some time to figure out the new angle system because I thought I was booking good angles and only one did well. I'm loving CWA's roster and especially love George Wolfe getting a big boost. 

2 minutes ago, McMenemy said:

The issue I have now is "I have no desire to go there because it's too small" whereas the "sent to work there" or whatever it was before meant you weren't looking at them as a development guy and it just meant you could send slightly more over people to work there on occasion to support a roster, like NXT black and gold.

What I mean is they all act on the "slightly more over" meaning if they complain now theyd have complained in 16 to the best of my knowledge.

Also black and gold did not have many over people on it until it got on USA in which it was either a medium company or a brand.

I do get what you mean though.

6 minutes ago, benjirino said:

LOVE this addition to the booking screen with adjusting stuff, allowing you to extend or shorten show length, give sub-titles to event names, and add any extra little bits to them during the show:

image.thumb.png.2172f5a256663cecd324e82146aabe1b.png

This was in 2020? At least the show length was.

• Like 1

Will the AI hire minis and book them normally if they don't have a mini division?  I don't plan to use that feature in my mod but I AM gonna have a lot of very small wrestlers that'll get flagged as minis if I don't give them the attribute otherwise (which, I can do, but it's a lot of clicks over time if it doesn't matter!)

For me, the big plus are Creative Ideas for how they spice up the gameplay if you get into it.

Of course, you can ignore it and treat it at face value and there is nothing wrong with that. A gamble that may help you or may cost you.

If you roleplay with it, it can really enhance your booking. You have a character idea for someone with a cooled momentum which means they could get a warm momentum? Getting into it, thinking of how you could twist their character and now getting to use them since they have a hot momentum. That already adds a lot to something that was monotone. 

Same for Creative Finish or Angle Ideas. I think trying to actually come up with what it is based on the description is really fun and can change your game. 

I had a risky angle for Jeremie and an extremely risky angle for One Man Army. Felt obvious that for Army, it would be burning the flag as for Jeremie, trying to buy Jasmine to be a valet seemed risky enough. And then, bam, a story comes from it. Jeremie tries to buy Jasmine, Army comes in, he loses in a match after Jeremie cheats ( Using a unspecified Creative Finish so I can have something not in the game like using a pepper spray from Vita then a flash pinfall ) to win a match where the loser owes the winner a favor which results in One Man Army burning the flag and then, I have a room for Army to get payback, go unhinged as he can play Unstable or team-up with Jeremie as a sell-out.

It's not too much but I think the randomness of it helps me to think in ways I wouldn't have and to change up my booking more on the fly. I think I'm really going to exclusively use Creative Ideas for gimmick changes or character twists or crazy finishes which is really going to mix things up.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, benjirino said:

Anyone know if there's a way to view previous independent and tribute shows? I think I saw a news article for one too late as I'd gone to click next day.

When you click on "News" on the right hand side of the website, you can filter previous news (including results which you can then filter for independent or tribute shows).

News.JPG.c46b526af566b0b8828f80d4113b15a1.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1