TEW IX Public Beta Release Reaction Thread

3 minutes ago, Cyhort said:

I'm actually really fascinated by the new renders. I know, AI is the devil and all, but just from a comparison standpoint it's kind of cool to see how certain renders that have been basically unchanged since the early games are updated. I never expected Ade Nelson to look so old, for instance, but it makes sense because he's not 23 anymore. In that respect, I think AI is probably most useful in quickly changing pictures as characters age/change gimmicks. I also think they look better than a lot of the newer CG renders. I never liked the weird, washed out look of the Australian workers. The older women too actually look older. A lot of the black wrestlers also look like real people now. Cali Slick actually looks badass instead of goofy. I'm scrolling through them now looking at all my old standby hires and so far almost all of them I think look better than the CD renders. Ah! There's so many free pictures! I'm gonna spend all day just going through those and creating characters around the ones I like the best. 

Okay, so having glanced through the list, I definitely think this was the right choice. I'm sure once I get in the game and start seeing more workers I'll come across some duds and some sameface, but it seems like there's a lot more variety in the way the faces look than there is in the default Cverse renders. There's also way less goofiness and odd looking faces. I used to skip over a lot of workers because I didn't like their renders, and now I don't really have that problem. So yeah, I like the AI renders. In many cases better than the original renders.  

If you do, call them out. Have desperately tried to avoid “same face”, particularly in the Day One Update (see mod section)

• Like 1

I'm a fan of the renders. I can definitely see the point of people who would prefer the less realistic versions that do often have more charisma about them but I'm going into this thinking is it an upgrade on 2020 pics? 100%. 

Even just them all looking like they come from the same universe is such a huge plus. The variance in the default c-verse was really off putting. 

In general I commend them, a lot of the renders really do capture the feel of the characters that I had in mind. 

One critique I would have though is too many of them have too dark lighting for my taste, a good amount basically have half of their face in darkness. But I'm about to make the swap to the larger versions so that might help. Perhaps changing the background might as well as I feel some of them blend into it a little. It's a shame because in theory I like the borders but it just makes the pictures too small.

I can see people's issue with the gameworld but I think it's changed a realistic amount for 2 years. On the whole I like it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, EdJames said:

I’ve tried to…

A) Keep true to the original images

B) Keep them relatively neutral to allow the alt community to go nuts.

I’m sure they will evolve over time and I’m happy to rework those that the community feel have missed the mark. 

Wolf and Glenn are two of those reworked in the D1 update in the mod forum and you’ll note I actually did Glenn in the style of one of the other AI creators.

You’re right about the amount of character in much of the AI work I’ve seen - but my take is that the real world isn’t like that. Not everyone is a model, not everyone is flamboyant and not everyone has crazy hair with a multi-coloured jacket. Orton, Styles, MJF, Cole, Swerve, Reigns, Brock, Rock, Austin, Samoa Joe…they’d fit this Cornellverse. 

Having spent the last hour just taking in the new renders have to say I really appreciate the effort that's gone into this, I've really fell in love with the C-Verse in the past couple years and was concerned the switch to AI for a number of reasons, it's so clear the time and care that's been put into this project. 

The only one that I care about thats really not landing for me is James Diaz although him and his big league contract can go to hell, he knows he belongs in New York! 

Still can't decide how I feel about my other favourite monster in Dreadnought, definitely not generic but I'm still not sure how I feel about the Immortan Joe style mask.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, christmas_ape said:

I'm a fan of the renders. I can definitely see the point of people who would prefer the less realistic versions that do often have more charisma about them but I'm going into this thinking is it an upgrade on 2020 pics? 100%. 

Even just them all looking like they come from the same universe is such a huge plus. The variance in the default c-verse was really off putting. 

In general I commend them, a lot of the renders really do capture the feel of the characters that I had in mind. 

One critique I would have though is too many of them have too dark lighting for my taste, a good amount basically have half of their face in darkness. But I'm about to make the swap to the larger versions so that might help. Perhaps changing the background might as well as I feel some of them blend into it a little. It's a shame because in theory I like the borders but it just makes the pictures too small.

I can see people's issue with the gameworld but I think it's changed a realistic amount for 2 years. On the whole I like it. 

Check out the Day One Update in the mod where I’ve tried to tackle that lighting issue which was annoying me too.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, magik said:

Select the other database with "alt" and play with jpegs only.

So I tried this and it just made all of my pics blank, even when I switched back. Anyone else experiencing this?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JackH2020 said:

Having spent the last hour just taking in the new renders have to say I really appreciate the effort that's gone into this, I've really fell in love with the C-Verse in the past couple years and was concerned the switch to AI for a number of reasons, it's so clear the time and care that's been put into this project. 

The only one that I care about thats really not landing for me is James Diaz although him and his big league contract can go to hell, he knows he belongs in New York! 

Still can't decide how I feel about my other favourite monster in Dreadnought, definitely not generic but I'm still not sure how I feel about the Immortan Joe style mask.

There’ll inevitably be some that don’t quite land how people were expecting. If there’s a consensus on certain characters, I’ll just redo them 😊

1 minute ago, EdJames said:

Check out the Day One Update in the mod where I’ve tried to tackle that lighting issue which was annoying me too.

Thanks. 

I would like to say, that a) this must be such a wild experience for you, seeing so many people all experience (and judge) thousands? of your pictures. and b) I do think you've done a great job. 

Again whether the move to ai was the right one, or whether the style was the right one are debatable questions but if you were given the task of re-rendering the whole of the c-verse in a realistic style then it couldn't have gone much better. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Callum07 said:

Moving away from the classic CV Blue background sounded like a refreshing change. To see it replaced with a plain black background is an awful decision

Switch the database and graphics to GIF and the backgrounds will drop out.

3 minutes ago, codey_v3 said:

So I tried this and it just made all of my pics blank, even when I switched back. Anyone else experiencing this?

You need to switch the database too.

Edited by EdJames

2 minutes ago, codey_v3 said:

Before starting a game, go to "Databases" and select "Default_Alt".

The description mentions that it'll use JPGs.

You'll need to start a new game with it.

• Haha 1

Just now, christmas_ape said:

Thanks. 

I would like to say, that a) this must be such a wild experience for you, seeing so many people all experience (and judge) thousands? of your pictures. and b) I do think you've done a great job. 

Again whether the move to ai was the right one, or whether the style was the right one are debatable questions but if you were given the task of re-rendering the whole of the c-verse in a realistic style then it couldn't have gone much better. 

I really appreciate that. 😊

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Callum07 said:

I believe all have a black background, the gifs and the jpgs?

Yes. All black backgrounds.

JPGs are bigger.

GIFs allow for company logos to be behind them as the borders are transparent.

I guess I'm in the minority but I like the new roster page. Looks a lot slicker than previously. I also really like the new pictures. I have avoided the Cornelverse in years gone by because of how bad I thought the previous pictures looked but with the changes this year, I may give it a shot.

Booked my first show and the new angle screen looks a little daunting at first so will take a while to get used too. I think the wrestlers coming to you with "creative ideas" is a nice touch but it would be better if it actually said what the idea was. It just saying "Kamikaze has an angle idea and it's somewhat risky" doesn't really tell you enough to be able to make a decision. Something like "Kamikaze would like to cut a promo to start a feud with *Insert worker*" for example would be better imo.

Edited by MissMully
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, daddytorgo1 said:

See the Day 1 Update in the mods forum. EdJames has done a version on white backgrounds. 

Plain white is just as bad, any plain background is dull compared the cv blue or any other background

5 minutes ago, daddytorgo1 said:

See the Day 1 Update in the mods forum. EdJames has done a version on white backgrounds. 

* transparent background

Once I can get home, we can chop these however the community best wants to see them. 

• Like 1

I had low expectations for the new renders when I found out that a human wasn't going to be involved in their creation, but I had expected that someone who knew what a human looked like would have reviewed these renders prior to their inclusion in the game. Combined with the lack of change in the Cornellverse this release, it looks like I'll have to make my own fun if I move forward with a purchase.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7