"Wrestling Stance: Pro/Neutral/Against" for Celebs

Just like with broadcasters, I think celebrities should have settings about how in-favour they are of wrestling. The more pro they are, the lighter their demands will be & the easier it will be to keep them happy, and the more against they are, vice-versa, because they already don't like being there. 

And I know what some of you are thinking, "If they're against wrestling then why would they even be available in a wrestling game?" well to that I answer "the same can be said about the broadcasters", so I think this would be a neat little addition that would add another wrinkle to the celebrity system.

Edited by Spoons
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Spoons said:

And I know what some of you are thinking, "If they're against wrestling then why would they even be available in a wrestling game?"

No, it makes sense, there have been cases of celebrities who clearly didn't want to be there but still did it for the money.

That being said I don't necessarily agree that "the more pro they are, the lighter their demands will be". I'm pretty sure that an A-lister who loves wrestling will still demand a ton of money to make an appearance. Loving wrestling isn't a good enough reason to do a favor to a rich company.

• Like 2

Just now, MisterSocko said:

No, it makes sense, there have been cases of celebrities who clearly didn't want to be there but still did it for the money.

That being said I don't necessarily agree that "the more pro they are, the lighter their demands will be". I'm pretty sure that an A-lister who loves wrestling will still demand a ton of money to make an appearance. Loving wrestling isn't a good enough reason to do a favor to a rich company.

True, true. Maybe just the happiness effect then. If they're pro then they get a heavier morale boost from signing with a company, but if they're against then they're clearly just doing it for the money, so they get a much lesser boost, or no boost at all, or even take a hit, to morale. 

Also, maybe a celebrity who's extremely pro will be less likely to leave the business, or will still definitely leave but will do it later, whereas a celeb who's strongly against will leave a lot sooner. 

I think the main problem with that idea is that ultimately, unless the game simulates the fact that if you just rehire the same celebrity over and over again, fans are going to lose interest, so you need to keep hiring different ones (but then that means you need a database that has tons of them), then any celebrity that's marked as "against wrestling" is just completely useless. If your database has like, 2 A-listers, and one of them hates wrestling, you (and AI controlled companies) have absolutely zero reason to ever hire them, so ultimately there's no need for them to be in the database at all.

16 hours ago, alpha2117 said:

I'm sort of in the camp that a celebrity that is in the data is open to wrestling and all the celebrities that aren't are considered NOT PRO wrestling.

That logic could be used for broadcasters. Why have the option to have them against wrestling? It’s because they have a higher demand. The mechanics of both of those ideas doesn’t literally mean they are against wrestling and will not do it. It just take more convincing.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 6:56 AM, alpha2117 said:

I'm sort of in the camp that a celebrity that is in the data is open to wrestling and all the celebrities that aren't are considered NOT PRO wrestling.

What about celebrities who were against it and changed their minds or vice versa? Kurt Angle despised pro wrestling before coming a wrestler himself, finding respect for the business. Mia Kalifa famously hated it and got called out by Shane Helms over it, then seemingly changed her mind and made appearances for wrestling promotions (or maybe it was just to get some goodwill from fans she offended). Steve Allen was a fan in the 80's, even appearing at Wrestlemania, then later in the 90's he came to hate it, hating the attitude era and fought against it as part of the PTC.
Would be interesting to implement a system then, were for example you could invite a celebrity, who is against wrestling and if your show is good enough and wholesome, without any offensive stuff, it could change their mind or the other way around (like it happened famously with Kurt Angle, who was backstage at ECW when they did the crucifixionof Sandman, which horrified Angle)
So for scenarios this could be interested, as i said, for example having Steve Allen as Pro Wrestling in 1990, but against in 1999.
Furthermore, the option for narratives could be added, so that celebrities who hate wrestling speak out against it or having wrestlers react to their negativity (again, like Kalifa did) which would make the simulation more lively and interesting.

Also never forget that people do stuff they hate as long as the money is good. Kevin Dunn hates wrestling and yet worked for the WWE for decades because it made him rich. Celebrities usually jump at everything that makes them money.

45 minutes ago, andh83 said:

What about celebrities who were against it and changed their minds or vice versa? Kurt Angle despised pro wrestling before coming a wrestler himself, finding respect for the business. Mia Kalifa famously hated it and got called out by Shane Helms over it, then seemingly changed her mind and made appearances for wrestling promotions (or maybe it was just to get some goodwill from fans she offended). Steve Allen was a fan in the 80's, even appearing at Wrestlemania, then later in the 90's he came to hate it, hating the attitude era and fought against it as part of the PTC.
Would be interesting to implement a system then, were for example you could invite a celebrity, who is against wrestling and if your show is good enough and wholesome, without any offensive stuff, it could change their mind or the other way around (like it happened famously with Kurt Angle, who was backstage at ECW when they did the crucifixionof Sandman, which horrified Angle)
So for scenarios this could be interested, as i said, for example having Steve Allen as Pro Wrestling in 1990, but against in 1999.
Furthermore, the option for narratives could be added, so that celebrities who hate wrestling speak out against it or having wrestlers react to their negativity (again, like Kalifa did) which would make the simulation more lively and interesting.

Also never forget that people do stuff they hate as long as the money is good. Kevin Dunn hates wrestling and yet worked for the WWE for decades because it made him rich. Celebrities usually jump at everything that makes them money.

Again in the game if you are a celeb in the data that would be reflecting said change of mind.  

There's no need to add extra complicated programming mechanics for something that is as simple as simply not having unavailable celebs in the data.  

Sure you could throw that stuff you mentioned in but it's just window dressing with no real point in game.  I've done specs & testing for programming and trust me it's a lot of work to program even quite simple things.  What you are suggesting is a totally new mechanic unrelated to anything else in game that has nothing to do with actually booking a show it's just trying to convince someone to appear on a program.  I dont disagree it could be fun but there are so many things that players could use regularly that would have priority over a mechanic that in the end comes down to a Yes or No answer for a worker you will maybe use once.  From a practicality point of view it doesn't seem like programming time well spent. 

On 8/24/2024 at 12:46 PM, alpha2117 said:

Again in the game if you are a celeb in the data that would be reflecting said change of mind.  

There's no need to add extra complicated programming mechanics for something that is as simple as simply not having unavailable celebs in the data.  

Sure you could throw that stuff you mentioned in but it's just window dressing with no real point in game.  I've done specs & testing for programming and trust me it's a lot of work to program even quite simple things.  What you are suggesting is a totally new mechanic unrelated to anything else in game that has nothing to do with actually booking a show it's just trying to convince someone to appear on a program.  I dont disagree it could be fun but there are so many things that players could use regularly that would have priority over a mechanic that in the end comes down to a Yes or No answer for a worker you will maybe use once.  From a practicality point of view it doesn't seem like programming time well spent. 

I think you are misinformed...

The OP said wrestling stance is similar to broadcasters. Here is what the feature does per the game:

This is the broadcaster's general stance on professional wrestling and affects how they deal with companies. For example, if they're highly against then they will likely offer lesser deals and be less likely to take on new content.

Doesn't have anything to do with them hating wrestling or not, or a yes or no decision. it's a negotiation modifier...

If an A-list celeb is against wrestling, then more than likely a big payday is not enough if the company is a low-prestige company, but on the other hand, he would work with a high-prestige company if they pay their asking price. Pretty simple.

With that said, what the OP is asking is somewhat already baked into the celebrity levels.

Edited by SirMichaelJordan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SirMichaelJordan said:

I think you are misinformed...

The OP said wrestling stance is similar to broadcasters. Here is what the feature does per the game:

Doesn't have anything to do with them hating wrestling or not, or a yes or no decision. it's a negotiation modifier...

If an A-list celeb is against wrestling, then more than likely a big payday is not enough if the company is a low-prestige company, but on the other hand, he would work with a high-prestige company if they pay their asking price. Pretty simple.

With that said, what the OP is asking is somewhat already baked into the celebrity levels.

I was largely referring to the suggestions made by andh83 which would involve new mechanics to implement.

In terms of the original suggestion - Celebrities who dont want to be in wrestling at all in the database ... it seems superfluous but you could set them as left the business to reflect they are unavailable if you wanted.   

I think the idea that some would be more reluctant than others is a good one in and of itself I just think at the same time the effort making the mechanics required to do that would probably be better spent on functionality that people would use more often.  It's just one of those nice to haves rather than need to haves if you know what I mean. 

12 hours ago, alpha2117 said:

I was largely referring to the suggestions made by andh83 which would involve new mechanics to implement.

In terms of the original suggestion - Celebrities who dont want to be in wrestling at all in the database ... it seems superfluous but you could set them as left the business to reflect they are unavailable if you wanted.   

I think the idea that some would be more reluctant than others is a good one in and of itself I just think at the same time the effort making the mechanics required to do that would probably be better spent on functionality that people would use more often.  It's just one of those nice to haves rather than need to haves if you know what I mean. 

I agree, there are probably more important things to get to but I will leave that to the dev to make the decision on how to allocate their time.

its a good sign when the little things are starting to stick out more. It means there is a solid foundation.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SirMichaelJordan said:

I agree, there are probably more important things to get to but I will leave that to the dev to make the decision on how to allocate their time.

its a good sign when the little things are starting to stick out more. It means there is a solid foundation.

For sure - the base game is solid as a rock really.  

• Like 1

I didn't expect this kind of a response, wow. 

I do agree that it's a minor change that takes time away from more important changes, so it's fine if it doesn't happen, it was just a suggestion. xP