[HYPE] DomNWAtion 2000

Hey all, after putting out a partially-finished product and learning lots of lessons lessons working on iDOMINATION 2023 for TEW2020, I've decided to throw my hat back into the mod making ring with another attempt at the concept. This one is a ways out, but I figure I'll throw out the thread partially just to keep myself motivated so I've got stakes in finishing it.

Introducing:

AIS4XWE.png

A quick summary of what you can expect from this one, similar to my previous mod, is a take inspired by the iDomination universe, this time set in the year 2000. Unlike my previous attempt, I've decided to officially adopt a separate canon that goes different directions from the start of the timeline, and as such I've renamed my take on the universe so as to avoid confusion, especially given that I understand there is existing work going into other iDomination databases currently. Many aspects still overlap with that universe and it is a heavy inspiration (You'll find TWE here as well as many of the notable promotions from that universe, with similar roster decisions along the way), however other decisions diverge from that one pretty early to create a significantly different timeline by the time 2000 rolls around.

Stay tuned for further updates and information. As I work on the mod, I'll create short year-by-year update posts outlining this universe's significant lore events, starting with 1984 shortly.

Things are early-on enough in the process that if anybody is interested in collaborating, feel free to get in touch and let me know.

Disclaimer: This mod will be 100% Freeware, provided credit is given to the original creators of the databases I am building upon. Their work is far more valuable than mine, and deserves to be credited.

Credit:

• Dalton - Direct collaboration partner for the mod
  • Idolized - All work on the original iDomination universe - He has also made some company logos for a 2008 iDom mod in progress a couple years back which I pulled to use in this mod
  • TheWho87 - Has had numerous contributions and additions to the original iDomination universe over the years, which influence some decisions made on this mod
  • MrCanada - His HCTM 2001 TEW IX database served as the starting point with which this one is built upon
  • Fleisch & SkyCrasher & Justtxyank - The joint-released initial TEW IX conversion of the TEW2020 1992 Chronicles also has many elements pulled to fill out gaps in the database such as future workers, as well as the picture pack serves as the one used in combination with the HCTM 2001 picture pack
  • Questlove - Some database elements were pulled from their Real World Chronicles database
  • All those who helped on the previous database, as ideas from discussions with them influence my decisions here - AboardTheArk, Chikbot, Eriatarka, The Lloyd

I believe all the databases I am using are themselves under a similar freeware with credit policy, please correct me if I accidentally used any non-freeware work and I will make necessary adjustments.

Edited by diamondium
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

NWA Grants Stampede Wrestling Exclusive Rights to Canada to Prevent Defection

xyRTqa1.png

March 1984 – Facing internal tension, the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) has made a bold move to retain Stampede Wrestling by granting the Calgary-based promotion exclusive rights to all of Canada as its official territory. Stampede, led by Stu Hart, had been considering breaking away from the NWA since as early as 1982 due to frustrations over limited opportunities and regional influence. In a last-minute negotiation, the NWA leadership offered Stampede this unprecedented deal, securing the promotion's continued membership. With this decision, Stampede gains full control of wrestling operations across the country, allowing it to expand its reach and become a powerhouse in the Canadian market.

Wrestling World Sees Major Shakeup as Ric Flair Takes Control of JCP

mHHOuZL.png

August 1984 – A monumental shift occurred in the wrestling world this month as Jim Crockett Promotions (JCP) was sold to former wrestler Ric Flair, who announced that he will be rebranding the promotion as National Championship Promotions (NCP). Flair transitioned from the ring to a business leadership role following his 1975 plane crash where he was forced to retire from in-ring competition, and has worked closely with Jim Crockett since then. His vision includes modernizing the wrestling product, with plans to expand the promotion’s presence on cable television. Fans and industry insiders alike are eager to see how Flair’s influence will shape NCP’s future, as it looks to cement itself as a dominant force in professional wrestling.

Vince McMahon Prepares for Wrestling’s Biggest Gamble: WrestleMania

xdFxGIP.png

December 1984 – As 1985 approaches, Vince McMahon’s ambitious plan for WrestleMania is generating industry buzz. With McMahon envisioning this event as a nationwide spectacle, he aims to elevate professional wrestling beyond its niche and into the mainstream. Positioned as a pay-per-view event, McMahon is betting everything on WrestleMania’s success, promoting it as the future of sports entertainment. However, behind the scenes, industry insiders express concern over McMahon’s financial risks, with many wondering if the venture can live up to its lofty expectations. The stage is set for a pivotal moment in wrestling history.

Edited by diamondium
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

Another year here just for fun to get to some of the good stuff before spacing them out a bit more.

PWI 1985 In Review

Top 10 Wrestlers:

1. Dusty Rhodes
  2. Magnum T.A.
  3. Kerry Von Erich
  4. Rick Martel
  5. Larry Zybysko
  6. Ronnie Garvin
  7. Jerry Lawler
  8. Kevin Von Erich
  9. Sgt. Slaughter
  10. Jerry Lawler

Year End Awards:

• Wrestler of the year: Dusty Rhodes
  • Young wrestler of the year: Magnum T.A.
  • Veteran wrestler of the year: Harley Race
  • Tag team of the year: Rock 'n Roll Express (Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson)
  • Promotion of the year: Memphis Championship Wrestling
  • Most improved promotion: World Class Championship Wrestling

WrestleMania a Catastrophic Failure, WWF's Future Uncertain

AaTu7YB.png
March 1985 – What was intended to be a historic event for professional wrestling has turned into an industry-shaking disaster. Vince McMahon's WrestleMania, billed as the "Grandest Stage of Them All," was supposed to revolutionize the wrestling business, but poor financial planning and dismal viewership numbers have shattered those dreams. The pay-per-view, McMahon’s ambitious attempt to push wrestling into mainstream entertainment, struggled to sell tickets, and failed to draw a strong audience even with its star-studded card.
Though the show featured celebrities like Muhammad Ali, Cyndi Lauper, and Mr. T, the mix of celebrity appearances and high-profile wrestling matches did little to spark the mainstream interest McMahon had hoped for. Technical issues during the broadcast only worsened the experience for viewers, and the lack of gripping in-ring action further dampened the event’s reception. McMahon’s gamble, reliant on the success of this single event, has backfired, leading to rumors of unpaid debts and infuriated investors. WrestleMania's failure has put WWF on the brink of collapse, and McMahon now faces a financial crisis that could bring down his entire empire.

Wrestling World Awaits Fallout from WrestleMania Disaster

SStvUWQ.png
April 1985 – As the dust settles from the implosion of WrestleMania, the professional wrestling world is bracing for what comes next. Vince McMahon’s grand vision of national expansion through pay-per-view has left the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) in financial ruins, and industry insiders are wondering how long the company can hold on. Many WWF stars, previously loyal to McMahon’s vision, are now quietly looking for new opportunities as backstage rumors suggest that bankruptcy is imminent.
WWF’s competitors, particularly those in the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA), are eyeing this situation closely. Prominent NWA promoters, including Ric Flair, Jerry Jarrett, and Fritz Von Erich, are already strategizing ways to capitalize on WWF’s downfall. NWA territories have seen a surge in live attendance as WWF falters, and the potential auction of WWF assets could allow NWA promotions to solidify their position in markets long dominated by McMahon’s company. However, the wrestling world remains on edge, waiting to see just how deep the effects of WrestleMania's failure will go.

WWF Declares Bankruptcy as NWA Prepares to Capitalize

2yNHnqt.png
June 1985 – The inevitable has come to pass—Vince McMahon’s World Wrestling Federation (WWF) has officially declared bankruptcy, marking the end of an era in professional wrestling. Following the disastrous failure of WrestleMania just months earlier, McMahon’s promotion could no longer sustain itself financially. Mounting debts, unpaid contracts, and the collapse of the pay-per-view business model forced the once-dominant company to shutter its doors.
WWF’s assets were auctioned off in a highly anticipated event, drawing some of the biggest names in the wrestling industry. Among the notable buyers were Ric Flair, Jerry Jarrett, Stu Hart, and Fritz Von Erich, who each secured portions of WWF’s video library. This acquisition allows the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) to gain a foothold in the Northeast—historically WWF’s strongest market—by re-broadcasting WWF footage and incorporating former WWF stars into NWA programming. There is already whispers of NWA looking to open up a new promotion that would serve some of the former WWF’s territory.
The fallout from WWF’s bankruptcy is being felt across the wrestling world as former WWF talent, including stars like Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, and Ricky Steamboat, seek new homes. The National Championship Promotions (NCP) and Memphis Championship Wrestling (MCW) are expected to benefit most from this talent influx, potentially shifting the balance of power within the NWA. McMahon’s vision may have crumbled, but his roster’s impact will shape the industry for years to come.

Hulk Hogan Walks Away from Wrestling to Pursue Hollywood Stardom

OUirvjT.png
June 1985 – After months of speculation, Hulk Hogan, one of the biggest names in wrestling, has officially announced his retirement from the sport to pursue a full-time career in Hollywood. Hogan, whose immense popularity helped fuel the growth of the World Wrestling Federation (WWF), has been left disillusioned by the industry's recent turmoil, particularly after the collapse of WWF following the failure of WrestleMania.
Hogan’s rise in the early ‘80s was meteoric, with his iconic "Hulkamania" persona capturing the imagination of fans worldwide. His appearances in Japan, along with his breakthrough role as Thunderlips in Rocky III, made him one of the most recognizable figures in professional wrestling. However, with WWF now bankrupt and the wrestling landscape rapidly changing, Hogan has decided to shift focus toward the entertainment industry. He’s rumored to be exploring several Hollywood projects, including a possible role in Rocky IV, furthering his transition from the ring to the big screen.
Hogan’s departure leaves a gaping hole in professional wrestling, particularly in terms of larger-than-life babyfaces who could draw mainstream appeal. NWA promotions who were hopeful on signing the megastar are scrambling to find the next big star to fill Hogan’s boots, but insiders say Hogan's decision may mark a turning point for the industry, pushing other wrestlers to explore opportunities beyond the squared circle.

Starrcade '85 Shines Bright as Magnum T.A. Ascends to the Top of the NWA

VP2HdS4.png
November 1985 – Starrcade '85, the National Wrestling Alliance’s (NWA) flagship event, delivered a night of unforgettable action, headlined by a changing of the guard in the main event. Magnum T.A. defeated former ally turned rival Dusty Rhodes in a hard-fought contest to win his first NWA World Heavyweight Championship, signaling the rise of the next generation of wrestling stars. With Hulk Hogan now out of the picture, Magnum’s victory solidifies him as the new face of the NWA, ushering in a new era.

Magnum T.A.’s triumph over the veteran Rhodes was the culmination of a year-long rise to prominence. The match, filled with intense back-and-forth action and dramatic near-falls, captivated the Greensboro crowd, with Magnum securing the win after delivering his signature belly-to-belly suplex. Rhodes, who had carried the NWA title through numerous battles, gave an emotional post-match speech, passing the torch to Magnum and praising him as the future of the industry.
Another key highlight of the night was a brutal tag team match between Rock ‘n Roll Express and The Fabulous Freebirds. In a steel cage, the two teams waged war for the NWA World Tag Team Championships, with Rock ‘n Roll Express emerging victorious after a physically punishing bout. The hard hitting brutality made this match one of the most talked-about on the card.

Vince McMahon Steps Away from Wrestling After WWF’s Collapse

JF10zMu.png
December 1985 – In a surprising yet inevitable move, Vince McMahon has quietly stepped away from the professional wrestling industry following the complete collapse of his World Wrestling Federation (WWF). Once the most influential promoter in the wrestling world, McMahon’s grand vision for wrestling on the national stage came crashing down after the catastrophic failure of WrestleMania earlier this year.
McMahon’s departure marks the end of an era defined by his aggressive expansion strategy and his attempts to turn wrestling into a mainstream entertainment spectacle. After spending months scrambling to save his company from financial ruin, McMahon has now officially left the wrestling world behind, focusing instead on low-profile media ventures. Rumors suggest that McMahon is exploring opportunities in the entertainment industry, far removed from the wrestling empire he once built.
While McMahon’s ambitions to bring professional wrestling into the mainstream through the use of pay-per-view were bold, his overextension of resources and the financial failure of WrestleMania ultimately led to the WWF’s demise. Wrestling insiders believe McMahon’s departure leaves a leadership void in the business, with many wondering if anyone will attempt to pick up the pieces of his vision, or if this signals the end of a short-lived national wrestling expansion era.

Edited by diamondium
  • Like 6

Interesting, mind if I spin some ideas on where the rest of the WrestleMania card ended up?

Tito Santana would head for the awa having previously worked there having 2 matches against nick Bockwinkel but losing both due to cheating. Coming in as a former 2 time Intercontinental Champion gave him leverage as a singles star, culminating in him winning the World championship while still having his team and later feud with Rick Martel before that.

Buddy rose would remain the same, being a staple of the awa tag division with Doug somers and feuding with the midnight Rockers over the titles before retiring in the mid 90s and taking the role of head trainer.

King Kong Bundy would make his way back to world class, tearing thru the roster with the goal of finishing what he started with fritz by wiping out his family. To that end he would join gino hernandez and Chris Adams's feud with the Von Erich boys, effectively turning the dynamic duo into the terrible trio until Gino's death in which they would revert to the old name with Adam's and bundy losing the feud to Mike and Kevin at the 1986 parade of champions while Kerry fought Jake roberts for the World Title in the main event.

SD Jones would retire a year after Wrestlemania as jobbing out to Bundy didn't help his career much.

Ricky Steamboat would return to the nwa, winning over the crowd with his technical prowess and Natural babyface charisma. Fan response was strong enough for the nwa to make him their number two babyface behind Magnum t.a., even the television title at starrcade 85 in the undercard.

Matt Borne by comparison, would return to pacific northwest, winning the Heavyweight title and acting as their new top guy while making occasional appearances at wccw and never taking the role of doink.

Brutus Beefcake and Greg Valentine would move to nwa and feud with the rock n rolls over the tag titles. Greg in peticular would also feud with Ricky over the TV title and even winning it and later go on to feud with Magnum over the world title but would come up short.

David Sammartino would travel throughout the territories with his father as a preliminary wrestler before winding up in awa forming a tag team with Greg Gagne.

Jyd returned to mid south wrestling paying some dues to bill watts and many of the faithful who were equally unhappy with him selling out. However, jyd took his licks and soon the fans came back around to cheering him, becoming a 5 time north American Heavyweight Champion in the process.

Iron Sheik and Nikolai volkoff would head for awa, naturally sparking a feud with Sgt Slaughter and Bob Backlund beating down the American heroes, with Nicolai in peticular getting a toyline in the gi joe toyline and even make a guest appearence in the cartoon as a member of the oktober guard with the episode being about how he and Slaughter had to put aside their differences to stop a Cobra plot to harm both their countries.

Barry Windham and Mike rotunda would start working at awa before heading for nwa together, winning the tag titles in both companies at least once before rotunda would betray Windham to join the varsity club.

Andre the Giant would essentially retire after wwf's demise, spending most of his time in France while turning down offers to return to wrestling. His last appearence in media before his death in 1993 would be as fezzik in the princess bride.

Big John studd would see a much more lucrative career as Andre's retirement lead to an opening for a suitable big man and took a lot of big payouts from different promotions to take Andre's place. He would eventually retire after the best four paid years of his life, only to die rather tragically after Andre thanks to a combination of liver cancer and hodgkin's lymphoma.

Wendi Richter, Leilani kai, fabulous Moolah and the rest of the wwf's women's division wouldn't be in the best position after Wrestlemania. Nwa had women's wrestling but it was treated more like a sideshow attraction so they were unlikely to see paydays better then what Vince offered until a former wwa announcer named David Mclane came in with his new series the gorgious ladies of wrestling that they found new work in Vegas. Getting Richter and kai was a boon for McLane as well,adding legitimate, seasoned wrestlers along with a number of newcomers who were mainly there for the eye candy, creating a divide between the gorgious ladies and the ladies of wrestling.

The divide would fluctuate in part thanks to trainers such as Sue Green, Mando Guerrero, Cynthia peretti and Moolah herself so while some would dip into into hair-pulling during matches others would be more then capable of locking up and showing how good they were. The nwa would get into contact with Mclane after a successful 1st season and begin working out a deal for glow to be recognized as a official territory.

Roddy Piper, Bob Orton Jr, Paul Orndorff and Adrian Adonis would jump ship to nwa, bringing Jesse ventura with them as their manager and feuding with Magnum over the world title, Adonis antagonizes Steamboat over the TV title and Orton and orndorff mix it up in the tag division, effectively becoming this timeline's version of the four horsemen sense with pout ric flair I don't think the group would work the same with just tully and the Andersons but the 4 mentioned above with the body taking jj dillion's place sounds awesome. The group would fluctuate starting with Piper leaving to do movies and Adonis's passing allowing Tully and arn to join with names like Valentine, luger, eddie gilbert and and sid finding places in it while Sting and Windham remain faces fighting them.

Jimmy snuka was going to be a tag partner for Greg Gagne at wrestlerock 86 but the Nancy Argentino case had reopened and had to be immediately pulled from the event with David Sammartino taking his place while snuka would be found guilty of 3rd degree murder and sentence to 20 years In jail. This would obviously mean his children tamina and Jimmy Jr wouldn't join the business and mick Foley would probably drop out in disgust as his childhood hero turned out to be a murderer.

What do you think, pretty good? Also sense it hasn't been mentioned yet, did David non Erich not die in this mod? And is it possible for bruiser Brody to survive as well?

Edited by sonny912
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, sonny912 said:

Interesting, mind if I spin some ideas on where the rest of the WrestleMania card ended up?

Tito Santana would head for the awa having previously worked there having 2 matches against nick Bockwinkel but losing both due to cheating. Coming in as a former 2 time Intercontinental Champion gave him leverage as a singles star, culminating in him winning the World championship while still having his team and later feud with Rick Martel before that.

Buddy rose would remain the same, being a staple of the awa tag division with Doug somers and feuding with the midnight Rockers over the titles before retiring in the mid 90s and taking the role of head trainer.

King Kong Bundy would make his way back to world class, tearing thru the roster with the goal of finishing what he started with fritz by wiping out his family. To that end he would join gino hernandez and Chris Adams's feud with the Von Erich boys, effectively turning the dynamic duo into the terrible trio until Gino's death in which they would revert to the old name with Adam's and bundy losing the feud to Mike and Kevin at the 1986 parade of champions while Kerry fought Jake roberts for the World Title in the main event.

SD Jones would retire a year after Wrestlemania as jobbing out to Bundy didn't help his career much.

Ricky Steamboat would return to the nwa, winning over the crowd with his technical prowess and Natural babyface charisma. Fan response was strong enough for the nwa to make him their number two babyface behind Magnum t.a., even the television title at starrcade 85 in the undercard.

Matt Borne by comparison, would return to pacific northwest, winning the Heavyweight title and acting as their new top guy while making occasional appearances at wccw and never taking the role of doink.

Brutus Beefcake and Greg Valentine would move to nwa and feud with the rock n rolls over the tag titles. Greg in peticular would also feud with Ricky over the TV title and even winning it and later go on to feud with Magnum over the world title but would come up short.

David Sammartino would travel throughout the territories with his father as a preliminary wrestler before winding up in awa forming a tag team with Greg Gagne.

Jyd returned to mid south wrestling paying some dues to bill watts and many of the faithful who were equally unhappy with him selling out. However, jyd took his licks and soon the fans came back around to cheering him, becoming a 5 time north American Heavyweight Champion in the process.

Iron Sheik and Nikolai volkoff would head for awa, naturally sparking a feud with Sgt Slaughter and Bob Backlund beating down the American heroes, with Nicolai in peticular getting a toyline in the gi joe toyline and even make a guest appearence in the cartoon as a member of the oktober guard with the episode being about how he and Slaughter had to put aside their differences to stop a Cobra plot to harm both their countries.

Barry Windham and Mike rotunda would start working at awa before heading for nwa together, winning the tag titles in both companies at least once before rotunda would betray Windham to join the varsity club.

Andre the Giant would essentially retire after wwf's demise, spending most of his time in France while turning down offers to return to wrestling. His last appearence in media before his death in 1993 would be as fezzik in the princess bride.

Big John studd would see a much more lucrative career as Andre's retirement lead to an opening for a suitable big man and took a lot of big payouts from different promotions to take Andre's place. He would eventually retire after the best four paid years of his life, only to die rather tragically after Andre thanks to a combination of liver cancer and hodgkin's lymphoma.

Wendi Richter, Leilani kai, fabulous Moolah and the rest of the wwf's women's division wouldn't be in the best position after Wrestlemania. Nwa had women's wrestling but it was treated more like a sideshow attraction so they were unlikely to see paydays better then what Vince offered until a former wwa announcer named David Mclane came in with his new series the gorgious ladies of wrestling that they found new work in Vegas. Getting Richter and kai was a boon for McLane as well,adding legitimate, seasoned wrestlers along with a number of newcomers who were mainly there for the eye candy, creating a divide between the gorgious ladies and the ladies of wrestling.

The divide would fluctuate in part thanks to trainers such as Sue Green, Mando Guerrero, Cynthia peretti and Moolah herself so while some would dip into into hair-pulling during matches others would be more then capable of locking up and showing how good they were. The nwa would get into contact with Mclane after a successful 1st season and begin working out a deal for glow to be recognized as a official territory.

Roddy Piper, Bob Orton Jr, Paul Orndorff and Adrian Adonis would jump ship to nwa, bringing Jesse ventura with them as their manager and feuding with Magnum over the world title, Adonis antagonizes Steamboat over the TV title and Orton and orndorff mix it up in the tag division, effectively becoming this timeline's version of the four horsemen sense with pout ric flair I don't think the group would work the same with just tully and the Andersons but the 4 mentioned above with the body taking jj dillion's place sounds awesome. The group would fluctuate starting with Piper leaving to do movies and Adonis's passing allowing Tully and arn to join with names like Valentine, luger, eddie gilbert and and sid finding places in it while Sting and Windham remain faces fighting them.

Jimmy snuka was going to be a tag partner for Greg Gagne at wrestlerock 86 but the Nancy Argentino case had reopened and had to be immediately pulled from the event with David Sammartino taking his place while snuka would be found guilty of 3rd degree murder and sentence to 20 years In jail. This would obviously mean his children tamina and Jimmy Jr wouldn't join the business and mick Foley would probably drop out in disgust as his childhood hero turned out to be a murderer.

What do you think, pretty good? Also sense it hasn't been mentioned yet, did David non Erich not die in this mod? And is it possible for bruiser Brody to survive as well?

Thanks for all of the awesome ideas! By and large, most of what I've got so far for lore for this earlier era is the high-level overview stuff, most of which doesn't touch on the specifics you've covered there (and as such doesn't conflict with it), so the vast majority of what's in there both makes sense, seems well thought out, and I'm totally down to integrate it into the canon should it come up, such as when I get deeper into the nitty gritty on the title histories of the individual promotions and in the future news article updates in the lead-up.

Snuka stuff is interesting, I had him still active in the working copy of the data, but I do like the shakeup there so I'm happy to roll with that.

And correct, the Von Erichs all survive in this timeline. I just have Kevin/David/Kerry active in WCCW, with only Kerry really making a lasting mark as a singles star once Fritz sells the promotion out of the family later on (I believe around '89/90). Bruiser Brody I assumed to have survived as well, however he's mostly aged out of having much of a relevant role in 2000 so I hadn't even added him to the data unless a fitting role for him comes up.

And, saving it for last, the state of womens wrestling for the mod is an interesting discussion to have for sure. I do think the connection you've drawn is excellent, and I like the idea of a GLOW with a bit more of a legitimate flair becoming an early womens territory in the NWA, but I want to be careful to make sure that integrates with the state of the scene for 2000 well enough.

So, for context, looking at the year 2000 itself where the mod will be playable: Obviously both the inspiration timelines I'm working with (IRL &  iDom) have womens wrestling in a pretty shit space in the year 2000, with revitalizations coming in '05 with GLAM! for iDom and just generally later IRL. Due to the nature of not wanting to necessarily create fantasy workers for the mod to populate companies, I'm somewhat limited by the worker pool available as of the database year to make sure this mod's lore is consistent with the worker pool available. There's some decent workers active and around as 2000, but the pool is definitely shallow, which means my mod needs to be consistent with a reason the pool is as shallow as it is. At the same time, one of the things I definitely wanted to accomplish with this mod was to have some sort of womens wrestling scene be available to play as, allowing the player to kinda build that from damn near scratch as they progress through the years and the pool deepens a bit.

I'm wondering if a path like this seems somewhat reasonable:

Starts off much as you noted, with the womens talent bolstering the more legitimized GLOW, which does become the first NWA womens territory. Naturally, this more legitimate path means McLane doesn't feel the need to break off & form POWW, so GLOW does run for a few years under him as an NWA territory in the southwest, however after a few years it does struggle and goes under due to now being more gate-driven and struggling to draw a crowd during that societal era for live competetive womens wrestling, this would bring us to near 1990ish - the scene goes dormant for much of the 90s, much like our timeline, with women being used only for eye-candy roles in mens promotions (in the USA, at least), with the legitimate womens wrestlers working overseas. NWA never gets around to reactivating the womens world title before it goes under.

In the latter half of the decade, I'm picturing one of the promotions bringing in a small womens division that hints at some legitimacy, for whatever reason my brain wants to go with WCCW for that, while the rest of the wrestling world still ignores it. NWA reactivates the womens world title for this stretch and that lineage can restart around here. This allows some of the talent to showcase, but it never gets enough TV time to really catch on, and gets slowly wound down by the promotion around '98/99ish, creating a second influx of womens wrestlers with nowhere to go.

Once again, in comes McLane, in a move that would mirror his IRL 2nd attempt with WOW around 2000, creating this universe's version of GLAM! earlier than iDom's 2005. This also will line up with some bits later in the timeline about NWA making an active push to expand their reach in the southwest region around this time, so McLane finds a very willing NWA willing to aid him in setting up a new attempt, financially and by granting it exclusive rights to the NWA Women's World title. The push this time is instead of going from TV product to wrestling company, starting as a local wrestling company & establishing the roots before trying to grow too aggressively. For the database's start point in 2000, the promotion will have hired much of the starting roster and is getting ready to run its first show, allowing the player to take that scene from scratch.

Edited by diamondium

PWI 1986 In Review
Top 10 Wrestlers:

1. Magnum T.A.
  2. Jerry Lawler
  3. Dusty Rhodes
  4. Bill Dundee
  5. Stan Hansen
  6. Kerry Von Erich
  7. Jim Duggan
  8. Ricky Steamboat
  9. Randy Savage
  10. Sting

Year End Awards:

• Wrestler of the year: Magnum T.A.
  • Young wrestler of the year: Curt Hennig
  • Veteran wrestler of the year: Dusty Rhodes
  • Tag team of the year: Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton & Denis Condrey)
  • Promotion of the year: Memphis Championship Wrestling
  • Most improved promotion: National Championship Promotions

Memphis Championship Wrestling: The King of the Territories

s-l1200.jpg
January 1986 – As regional promotions flourish in the post-WWF era, Memphis Championship Wrestling (MCW) stands above the rest, cementing itself as the crown jewel of the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA). Led by Jerry "The King" Lawler and promoter Jerry Jarrett, MCW has mastered the art of blending southern-style wrestling with colorful, larger-than-life characters, captivating audiences week after week.
For years, MCW has been a consistent draw in the Memphis region, known for its intense feuds, emotional storytelling, and gritty, realistic matches. Stars like Lawler, Bill Dundee, and Dutch Mantell have helped MCW maintain its status as a must-watch promotion, and the territory’s loyal fanbase has only grown stronger with the fall of the WWF. The promotion has seen record-breaking live attendance, and its television ratings are some of the highest in the NWA, with viewers tuning in for both the drama inside the ring and the charismatic personalities that dominate the show.
With Jerry Lawler still holding court as the top draw, MCW has expanded its influence beyond Tennessee, regularly drawing fans from neighboring states. The promotion’s success is being closely watched by other territories, as MCW’s formula of blending hard-hitting action with outrageous storylines seems to be the winning ticket in wrestling’s new regional boom.

Magnum T.A.: On Top of the World Leading the NWA into the Future

Magnum_TA,_circa_August_1985.jpg
February 1986 – In a few short years, Magnum T.A. has ascended to the pinnacle of the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA), quickly becoming one of the most beloved and recognizable faces in professional wrestling. With his rugged good looks, intense in-ring style, and undeniable charisma, Magnum has captured the hearts of fans across the country, positioning himself as the top babyface in the NWA.
After dethroning Dusty Rhodes for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship at Starrcade ‘85, Magnum solidified his status as the new face of the company. His hard-hitting matches, combined with his relatable underdog persona, have resonated with audiences in a way few others have. As the reigning champion, Magnum has defended the title against a slew of challengers, continuing to prove why he is the standard-bearer for the NWA. His feud with Rhodes—once his mentor—has been a key storyline, and their battles have drawn some of the largest crowds in NWA history.
At just 26 years old, Magnum represents the future of wrestling, blending classic southern grit with a more modern, explosive style that appeals to fans young and old. With his star rising and the NWA looking to expand its presence, Magnum T.A. is widely regarded as the man to lead the promotion into a new era of wrestling. As the year unfolds, all eyes are on Magnum, with fans eager to see how long this young champion can hold onto his coveted title.

New England Professional Wrestling Launches, Eyes Northeast Market

hqdefault.jpg
March 1986 – The wrestling landscape continues to evolve as New England Professional Wrestling (NEPW) is officially launched, positioning itself as a new player in the Northeast. Headed by seasoned wrestler Tony Garea, a former NWA and WWF standout, NEPW aims to fill the void left by WWF's collapse and capitalize on the region’s passionate fanbase. Offering a more traditional approach than the ‘sports entertainment’ style offered previously by WWF, Garea has assembled a roster of up-and-coming talent alongside veteran stars to establish NEPW as a force in the competitive wrestling scene. Tony Garea announced his retirement from in-ring competition as part of his transition from wrestler to promoter.
Garea’s deep ties within the industry have enabled him to secure local television deals, giving NEPW a strong start in key markets like Boston, Providence, and Hartford. With wrestling’s regional boom in full swing, NEPW hopes to carve out its own niche and become a key player within the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) system. The company has announced its debut show, promising a mix of old-school wrestling and modern entertainment, aiming to captivate both long-time fans and newcomers alike.

Former WWF Stars Land in NWA Promotions, Bolster Rosters

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEmCOADEOgC8quKqQ
March 1986 – Following the collapse of the World Wrestling Federation (WWF), some of the promotion’s biggest stars have quickly found new homes across the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA). In one of the most notable signings, Ricky Steamboat, long regarded as one of wrestling’s premier technicians, has joined Ric Flair’s National Championship Promotions (NCP). Steamboat, whose in-ring style and storytelling ability earned him a legion of fans in the WWF, is expected to be a major player in NCP’s bid to solidify itself as a top-tier promotion.
Meanwhile, "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, the iconic and controversial talker, has headed north to Stampede Wrestling, bringing his brash personality to various territories across the NWA, including up north in Calgary. Piper’s arrival in Calgary adds another dimension to Stu Hart’s already impressive roster, and his ability to rile up crowds will no doubt make him one of the top heels in the promotion.
These acquisitions have injected new energy into NWA promotions, helping them to grow their audiences and compete for national attention. With talent like Steamboat and Piper entering the fold, it’s clear that the NWA is positioning itself as the dominant force in wrestling, absorbing the star power of the former WWF roster.

NWA Contemplates Overhaul Amidst Cable Revolution

nwa_backstage_logo_1986__mid_atlantic__by_bradburkedesigns_dhhph53-fullview.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NDk0IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvYmY4YWQwYzItN2Q1NC00NzJhLTgzZjYtMzVjY2Q1ZWExMzQ4XC9kaGhwaDUzLWZiZWRjMjU2LTYwMjQtNDAwOS1iZTE3LTkxM2UxZjBmY2U1MS5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.FZB0MfUsQC-x_PvN-zBoBLbzzo6lVYmHbzSCdA9cYJY
May 1986 – As the influence of cable television continues to grow, the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) is facing pressure to modernize its structure and presentation. Promoters within the NWA are pushing for a unified approach to better capitalize on the expanding media landscape. Currently, the NWA operates as a loose confederation of regional territories, but the fragmented nature of the organization has become increasingly apparent as more fans tune in to wrestling on cable television.
Ric Flair, now focused on running National Championship Promotions (NCP), has been a vocal advocate for a more cohesive product that can compete on a national scale. Discussions have begun among NWA leadership about potentially restructuring the organization to better align with the demands of a cable-driven audience. Some promoters fear that if the NWA doesn’t adapt, it risks losing momentum, as wrestling fans increasingly expect a more polished and interconnected product.

Young Star Sting Poised for Stardom Under Ric Flair’s Guidance

s-l1200.jpg
October 1986 – A new star is beginning to rise within National Championship Promotions (NCP), as the explosive young talent known as Sting is quickly capturing the attention of fans and industry insiders alike. Under the mentorship of Ric Flair, Sting is being positioned as the future face of NCP and possibly the entire National Wrestling Alliance (NWA).
With his vibrant face paint, high-energy style, and undeniable athleticism, Sting has become an instant fan favorite. His combination of power and agility makes him a standout performer, and Flair has personally taken Sting under his wing. Flair has spoken publicly about Sting’s potential to become a major player in the NWA, and many are predicting that the young star could be headlining major events in the near future.
As Sting continues to ascend through the ranks, NCP’s leadership is banking on him to help carry the promotion into a new era, appealing to both long-time fans and a younger audience drawn to his charisma and in-ring prowess.

NWA Cautiously Enters Pay-Per-View with Regional Broadcasts

JawhawksRussians.png?resize=712,537&ssl=1
November 1986 – In a significant step toward modernizing its business model, the National Championship Promotions (NCP) has begun experimenting with pay-per-view on a regional level. Inspired by Vince McMahon’s failed WrestleMania experiment, Ric Flair’s NCP has opted for a more cautious approach, utilizing regional closed-circuit broadcasts of major events like Starrcade.
The move is a test to gauge interest in pay-per-view wrestling in markets previously dominated by the WWF. Early results have been promising, with Starrcade expected to draw strong numbers in key regions. While NCP isn’t ready to roll out national pay-per-view events just yet, the potential success of these regional broadcasts has encouraged NWA leadership to consider expanding the model.
This careful experimentation marks a potential shift toward larger-scale events, with many within the NWA viewing pay-per-view as the future of wrestling.

Dusty Rhodes Reclaims NWA Title at Starrcade ’86, Injured Weeks Later

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMt0F1pI8O64aiVg_pq7s
November 1986 – Starrcade ’86 proved to be another historic event for the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA), as Dusty Rhodes reclaimed the NWA World Heavyweight Championship from rising star Magnum T.A. in an emotional and hard-hitting main event. The match, a rematch from last year’s Starrcade, saw the veteran Rhodes outlast Magnum in a brutal battle that thrilled fans in attendance and watching on closed-circuit broadcasts.
However, Rhodes’ celebration was short-lived, as he suffered a severe injury just weeks later during a training session. The injury has forced Rhodes to vacate the championship, sending shockwaves through the wrestling world. The sudden departure of one of wrestling’s most beloved figures has left a void at the top of the NWA, and a scramble is now underway to crown a new champion.
Rhodes’ injury also casts a shadow over the NWA as it navigates a critical moment in its history, with fans and promoters alike wondering who will step up to carry the torch in Rhodes' absence. The loss of such a major star creates an uncertain future for the promotion, and speculation is rampant over who might fill the role of NWA’s next top champion.

NWA Eyes GLOW for First Official Women's Territory Following Successful Debut Season

48d889c605dde32b7cea60cdd41bf6e4
December 1986 – Following a successful debut season, Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling (GLOW) has caught the attention of the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA), which is now in talks to make GLOW the first official women’s territory within the NWA system. With GLOW proving to be both a ratings success and a cultural phenomenon, NWA leadership sees an opportunity to elevate women’s wrestling by formally integrating the promotion.
GLOW’s combination of legitimate wrestling talents like Wendi Richter and Leilani Kai with its unique, entertainment-driven format has proven to be a winning formula. NWA officials have been impressed with the quality of in-ring action and the promotion’s ability to draw both wrestling fans and mainstream audiences.
If the deal goes through, GLOW would become the NWA’s official platform for women’s wrestling, with potential crossovers between GLOW stars and NWA promotions being discussed. This move would be a historic step for both women’s wrestling and the NWA, signaling that women’s competition is gaining serious traction within the traditionally male-dominated industry. Negotiations are expected to continue into the new year, with fans eagerly awaiting the possibility of a new era for women's wrestling.

Dusty Rhodes Announces Retirement: A Legend Bows Out

dusty.jpg
December 1986 – In a heartfelt announcement that has left the wrestling world in shock, Dusty Rhodes, one of the most beloved and influential figures in professional wrestling, has declared his retirement from in-ring competition. The announcement comes on the heels of a severe injury sustained during training, forcing Rhodes to vacate the NWA World Heavyweight Championship just weeks after reclaiming it at Starrcade ’86.
Rhodes, known for his charismatic personality, captivating storytelling, and iconic promos, has been a cornerstone of the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) for decades. With his unique blend of athleticism and showmanship, "The American Dream" has captivated audiences, helping to define the very essence of professional wrestling. His legendary feuds with stars like Tully Blanchard and Magnum T.A. have not only elevated the NWA but have also left an indelible mark on the industry.
As he steps away from the ring, Rhodes reflects on his storied career, which has seen him rise from humble beginnings to become a five-time NWA World Heavyweight Champion. Fans and fellow wrestlers alike are mourning the loss of his presence in the squared circle, though many anticipate that Rhodes will remain involved in the industry in some capacity, possibly as a mentor or behind-the-scenes figure.
Dusty Rhodes’ retirement marks the end of an era, and while he may no longer compete, his legacy as one of wrestling's all-time greats will continue to inspire generations of performers and fans alike.

Mod itself update progress - As of last night I got to a point where I've got enough placeholder things in place that one can call it the barest minimum amount of 'playable'. Still a huge ways to go, but in the meantime that means I can start running long-term sims overnight to start fine-tuning things and can start filling out all the extra details to make the world feel more 'lived in' instead of just wrestlers occupying rosters, so I consider that a solid milestone.

Edited by diamondium
  • Like 3

PWI 1987 Year In Review

Top 10 Wrestlers:

1. Jerry Lawler
  2. Harley Race
  3. Terry Funk
  4. Ricky Steamboat
  5. Steve Williams
  6. Sting
  7. Magnum T.A.
  8. Curt Hennig
  9. Lex Luger
  10. Randy Savage

Year End Awards:

• Wrestler of the year: Jerry Lawler
  • Young wrestler of the year: Curt Hennig
  • Tag team of the year: Road Warriors (Hawk & Animal)
  • Promotion of the year: National Championship Promotions

Jerry Lawler Crowned NWA World Heavyweight Champion

FDPw1EvWUAAPeW_.jpg:large
March 1987 - Jerry "The King" Lawler has officially claimed the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, solidifying Memphis Championship Wrestling (MCW) presence as a dominant force in the National Wrestling Alliance. Lawler, already a southern icon, brought his trademark resilience and charisma into his title match, emerging victorious and adding the prestigious NWA title to his long list of accolades.

Many industry insiders are surprised that Magnum T.A. was not chosen to hold the honor, instead losing in the finals, given his recent rise to prominence in the last few years. Some theorize that NWA has been overly reliant on his star power in the tumultuous recent years, and the Alliance may be looking to elevate existing veterans around the NWA instead with Rhodes’ recent shock retirement.

With his loyal Memphis fanbase behind Lawler, the rest of the wrestling world is now paying close attention to MCW. As Lawler continues to defend the title, it will be interesting to see if he can maintain his dominance amidst the growing competition from other NWA territories.

Sting Unsuccessful in Challenge against Jerry Lawler

Sting-vs-Butch-Reed.jpg
April 1987 - Rising star Sting has quickly become the fan-favorite underdog in the NWA, with his sights set on dethroning Jerry Lawler as NWA World Heavyweight Champion. Despite a string of highly publicized matches, Sting has fallen short of capturing the gold, though his never-say-die attitude and high-energy performances have made him one of the most popular figures in wrestling today. Fans are flocking to arenas to witness the clash between the up-and-coming Sting and the veteran Lawler, who seems increasingly wary of the younger challenger's growing popularity.

Sting's bold, high-flying style has captivated audiences across the nation, and his rivalry with Lawler is cementing his status as a future superstar. Though he has yet to win the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, Sting's fiery passion and unrelenting spirit have made him a hero to fans who see him as the next in line to lead the NWA into the future. Some believe he may soon rival Magnum T.A., who himself has seen a quiet year so far, in nationwide popularity.

Starrcade Sees Sting and Lawler Shine in their Respective Matches

7dff736a3b34b89afdd4989e05d6e65e6ab935b5r1-737-483v2_uhq.jpg
November 1987 - Starrcade '87 brought a series of unforgettable moments as wrestling fans tuned in for the year's most anticipated event. In one of the night’s standout matches, the rising Sting faced off against the legendary Harley Race. Though Sting was ultimately defeated by the grizzled veteran, his performance garnered widespread praise from both fans and insiders alike. Race’s experience and technical prowess tested the young Sting, but the challenger’s grit and determination won him the respect of even his harshest critics. Many now see Sting as a future NWA World Heavyweight Champion, with his stock rising significantly after this contest.

The main event saw Jerry Lawler, who is now in his second reign as NWA World Heavyweight champion after regaining his title from Ricky Steamboat earlier in the year, successfully defend his NWA World Heavyweight Championship against Terry Funk in a brutal, hard-hitting bout. Lawler and Funk, both seasoned veterans of the wrestling world, delivered a thrilling, bloody spectacle that left fans in awe. Funk's unpredictable, wild style brought out the best in Lawler, but the win showcased that the "King" is still the man to beat in the NWA. While Lawler retained the title, there are whispers that his reign might be in jeopardy as other contenders begin to rise through the ranks, and NCP’s business outperforming MCW’s has increased internal pressure to crown a champion from Ric Flair’s promotion.

Dusty Rhodes Purchases WCCW

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0qowRxE4avs8R5lN8Nd1
December 1987 - In a surprising turn of events, Dusty Rhodes has officially purchased World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW) from Fritz Von Erich, signaling a new era for the Texas-based promotion. Rhodes, who recently retired from in-ring competition due to injury, has wasted no time in transitioning into a business role. Known for his sharp mind and deep connection with the wrestling world, Rhodes is expected to bring major changes to WCCW, as the promotion prepares to reassert itself on the national stage.

Rhodes’ leadership is seen as a strategic move for WCCW, which has struggled to maintain its foothold within the NWA under Fritz' leadership. With Rhodes at the helm, many fans expect the promotion to undergo a renaissance, leveraging his star power and creative vision. Insiders are eager to see how Rhodes will balance his business responsibilities with the legacy of the Von Erich family, who have been central to the promotion's identity for years. Dusty spent much of his early career with WCCW in the 1960s, however later in his career spent more of his time in Jim Crockett Promotions (now NCP).

NWA Announces Major Restructuring to Adapt to Cable Television Era

il_fullxfull.4264883640_97w8.jpg
December 1987 - The National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) has announced a major restructuring aimed at modernizing its operations and embracing the expanding cable television landscape. Under the leadership of Ric Flair, this new structure divides the alliance into two tiers. The first tier includes major promotions such as National Championship Promotions (NCP), Memphis Championship Wrestling (MCW), World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW), and Stampede Wrestling (SW), as well as major international NWA affiliates such as New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW) and the new powerhouse Imperio De Lucha Azteca (ILA) in Mexico. These promotions will serve as the face of the NWA on national television and are expected to lead the charge in pay-per-view events and major storylines. Meanwhile, the second tier comprises smaller regional promotions like NWA Hollywood, Championship Wrestling from Florida (CWF), New England Professional Wrestling (NEPW), and Pacific Northwest Wrestling (PNW), among many others, which will act as feeder systems for the top-tier organizations.

An official ‘NWA Map’ has been drawn up, which allocates territories among the ‘major’ promotions, allowing them access to the regional promotions within their zone. They are expected to regularly loan out their stars to help boost business of the regional territories under their jurisdiction in exchange for allowing their younger talents to gain experience working their smaller crowds. There is said to be mechanics allowing for the movement between tiers as a promotion rises or falls in prominence, however details given were sparse during the announcement on how this would work.

This restructuring is designed to better adapt the NWA to the demands of modern cable television and regional syndication. The alliance hopes this new approach will streamline storytelling, ensure consistent talent development, and give each promotion a clearer role in the broader NWA landscape. In addition, the NWA has introduced "NWA News" segments that will be featured on broadcasts to keep fans updated on the latest happenings across all territories. An NWA Hotline has also been launched, allowing fans to call in for breaking news and inside information for a fee.

Ric Flair, one of the driving forces behind the restructuring, stated that this move will allow the NWA to remain competitive in an increasingly fragmented wrestling market. By creating a clearer hierarchy and improving the flow of talent between regional and national promotions, the NWA aims to provide a more cohesive product for fans. However, not all members of the alliance are pleased, with some regional promoters concerned that they might be overshadowed by the larger organizations. Despite these concerns, the NWA is pushing forward with its modernization plans, positioning itself to take full advantage of the growing influence of cable television in the coming years.

Note for anybody curious - the restructuring seen here is part of the efforts to facilitate a lore that's consistent with a means of organizing the NWA in-game in a way that works with TEW's mechanics. In the previous 2023 database attempt, the 'broken' alliance system had forced me to accommodate the lore to NWA's collapse in time for the gameplay start date. It ended up being a fun scenario to build around, but obviously isn't suitable for this mod. There was suggestions made about splitting up the alliance system in-game into A/B so that smaller promotions aren't part of the pool that can win the world championship, and thus AI isn't having people with 10 pop win the NWA title.

I've found via various sims that this is indeed quite successful, and figured it might be fun to also integrate such a split into the lore itself. You'll find over the course of the upcoming decade of history in the lead-up to the mod that the reorganization factors heavily into lots of the decisions made by promotions involved, and shapes the landscape as of the date of the mod pretty heavily. Gameplay-wise, the companies in the A tier will have built-in talent trading relationships with the B-tier companies in their region to simulate the fact that these two separate alliances are part of one larger interconnected alliance.

All the alliance members are set to non-permanent, so if you choose to play a smaller company you have the option to withdraw from B and join A once you meet the size requirements. I've found that AI companies don't tend to really leave the alliance very often so keeping things set to non-permanent seems to have more upsides than downsides, and one can make up their own stories for reasons when it does occasionally occur.

This relationship is one of the areas I've still got lots of tweaking and fine-tuning to work on, of course, but the setup seems pretty promising thus far for delivering a relatively cohesive experience.

Edited by diamondium
  • Like 5

PWI 1988 Year In Review

Top 10 Wrestlers:

1. Magnum T.A.
  2. Sting
  3. Harley Race
  4. Jerry Lawler
  5. Curt Hennig
  6. Kerry Von Erich
  7. Bret Hart
  8. Ted DiBiase
  9. Michael Hayes
  10. Owen Hart

Year End Awards:

• Wrestler of the year: Magnum T.A.
  • Young wrestler of the year: Bret Hart
  • Tag team of the year: Fabulous Freebirds (Jimmy Garvin & Michael Hayes)
  • Promotion of the year: Stampede Wrestling
  • Most improved promotion: Imperio De Lucha Azteca

Ted Turner Begins Eyeing Wrestling Investment

kVOI0FQ.png
April 1988 - The wrestling world has been buzzing with rumors that media mogul Ted Turner is looking to invest in professional wrestling. With the collapse of the WWF still leaving a void in the industry, Turner is reportedly eyeing Ric Flair's National Championship Promotions (NCP) as a potential partner to bring wrestling to a larger national audience. The cable television landscape is rapidly growing, and Turner's interest in the NWA could be the catalyst for a new era in televised wrestling.
Insiders suggest that early discussions between Turner and Flair are focused on securing a national television deal for NCP, which would help the promotion grow beyond its current regional base. A partnership with Turner could revolutionize how professional wrestling is broadcast, opening the door for the NWA to dominate cable networks. With this potential deal on the horizon, 1988 is shaping up to be a pivotal year for the future of wrestling.

National Championship Promotions Overtakes Memphis as NWA’s Top Promotion

rer3xTW.pngogHnMhG.png
May 1988 - National Championship Promotions (NCP), under the leadership of Ric Flair, has officially surpassed Memphis Championship Wrestling (MCW) as the top promotion within the National Wrestling Alliance. While Memphis enjoyed several years of dominance, its failure to adapt to the more modern, cable-friendly style embraced by NCP has caused its decline in popularity. Flair’s business acumen, combined with the rising star power of NCP’s roster, has allowed the promotion to expand its national reach and capture a larger share of the television audience.

Memphis, meanwhile, continues to rely on its established stars like Jerry Lawler, but the territory’s slow pace in embracing a more contemporary presentation has caused attendance and TV ratings to falter. NCP's fast-paced, polished style of wrestling is resonating with younger audiences, and many see this shift as the beginning of a new era for the NWA, where cable television will dictate the future of the sport.

GLOW Faces Backstage Struggles as Interest Wanes

Godiva-1014x570.jpg
June 1988 - The once-promising women’s wrestling show, GLOW (Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling), is experiencing significant struggles as it heads into the summer of 1988. After a successful first season, interest in the show has begun to decline, with backstage tensions reportedly on the rise. While GLOW initially attracted attention for its unique take on professional wrestling, the novelty has worn off, and fans are showing less enthusiasm for the product.

There have been rumors of creative differences behind the scenes, and the wrestlers are said to be frustrated with the direction of the show. GLOW’s attempt to present women’s wrestling in a legitimate light has not resonated with audiences in the way the producers had hoped. Unless significant changes are made, the future of GLOW appears uncertain, as the NWA eyes other opportunities to grow its women’s division in the face of this struggle.

Turmoil in WCCW as Von Erich Family Struggles Continue

VonErichs-832x447.png
August 1988 - World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW) is in the midst of significant turmoil as the personal struggles of the Von Erich family continue to cast a shadow over the Texas-based promotion. Kerry Von Erich remains WCCW’s top star, but behind the scenes, the ongoing issues surrounding the Von Erich family have impacted WCCW’s ability to expand beyond Texas. With mounting personal and emotional difficulties, the Von Erichs have found it hard to maintain the level of dominance they once enjoyed, leading to inconsistent performances and missed opportunities to take WCCW to a national level.

Amid these challenges, reports have emerged that Dusty Rhodes, who recently acquired ownership of WCCW, is attempting to intervene. Rhodes, a long-time friend of the family and a respected figure in the wrestling world, is said to be privately pushing the Von Erichs to take time away from the ring to focus on their health and well-being. Rhodes has reportedly urged the family to seek professional help, hoping that time off could allow them to recover and come back stronger. However, it remains unclear whether Kerry and his brothers are willing to heed this advice.

In the meantime, other stars such as Jake "The Snake" Roberts have stepped up to fill the void, with Roberts’ recent babyface turn captivating the WCCW audience. However, the promotion remains on shaky ground, and it will take a concentrated effort from management to navigate these internal issues and reclaim its standing within the NWA hierarchy.

Chaos Surrounds NWA World Heavyweight Championship as Starrcade Approaches

fc731311-cbcc-47cb-bc8c-a3675adc72c0.jpg
November 1988 - As Starrcade '88 draws near, the wrestling world is buzzing with controversy surrounding the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. The prestigious title, long seen as the crown jewel of professional wrestling, has bounced between several top stars over the course of the year, with insiders now speculating on the legitimacy of recent title changes, particularly the two most recent reigns of Jerry "The King" Lawler.

Magnum T.A. ended 1987 as the reigning champion, defeating Jerry Lawler shortly after Starrcade ‘87, but his title reign was abruptly cut short in January when Ted DiBiase shocked the world by defeating him. DiBiase's time at the top was brief, as Ricky Steamboat quickly dethroned him just four days later to begin his second reign with the title, in what many hailed as one of the finest matches of the year. Steamboat's run as champion seemed poised to define 1988, but in October, Jerry Lawler captured the title, igniting speculation about backstage politics and the true nature of the title's frequent changes.

The real controversy, however, began when Lawler lost the championship back to Magnum T.A. in mid-November, only to reclaim it just a week later. Rumors among industry insiders suggest that both of Lawler's recent reigns may have been the result of accidental finishes. Some speculate that Lawler intentionally positioned himself to benefit from match-ending mishaps, creating confusion in the ring that allowed him to regain the title. While Lawler is publicly regarded as one of the sport's most seasoned veterans, these back-to-back incidents have raised eyebrows, leading to whispers that the NWA brass may have vacated the title in response to growing suspicions about Lawler's tactics.

Officially, the NWA has stated that the championship was vacated due to an injury sustained by Lawler. However, many are questioning the legitimacy of this claim, as Lawler has given no visible indication of injury in his recent appearances, and no specifics have been provided about the nature of the injury. This has only fueled further speculation that the vacating of the title is tied to the perceived controversy surrounding Lawler’s reigns. With Starrcade just around the corner, fans and insiders alike are left wondering whether Lawler’s questionable tactics will be addressed—and what the future holds for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship.

As the NWA prepares to crown a new champion at Starrcade, the chaotic nature of the championship’s lineage this year has added an extra layer of intrigue to the event. The vacated title has created a vacuum at the top of the NWA, and with so much uncertainty surrounding the title’s recent history, the upcoming match to crown a new champion could mark the beginning of a new era for the NWA—one free of the confusion and speculation that has plagued the championship throughout 1988.

Sting Wins NWA World Heavyweight Championship at Starrcade ‘88

hqdefault.jpg
December 1988 - Sting has finally achieved what many fans have been waiting for, capturing the NWA World Heavyweight Championship in a star-making performance at Starrcade '88. In a highly anticipated rematch against Harley Race in the finals of the tournament for the vacated championship, Sting emerged victorious, defeating the veteran in front of a national audience. The match was a defining moment for the young superstar, as his victory not only solidifies his status as the face of National Championship Promotions (NCP), but also as a future icon in the wrestling world.

Sting’s win marks a significant turning point for the NWA, with his explosive athleticism and vibrant personality resonating with fans across the country. The victory at Starrcade positions Sting as the man to carry the NWA into the future, with his reign expected to usher in a new era for the organization. With the recent turmoil involved with the championship, many suspect that the NWA is looking to give a lengthy reign to a fresh face, to distance itself from the controversy over the title this year. Fans and insiders alike are eager to see what challenges lie ahead for the new champion.

Bret Hart and Owen Hart Rise in Stampede Wrestling

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRM1ic7195dk83SfcwVwILimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgV8In6vTKdWDRflHIt6t
December 1988 - Stampede Wrestling is enjoying a boom period in the NWA, with both Bret Hart and his younger brother Owen Hart emerging as top-tier stars. Bret, already a major name in Canada, has begun to transition into main event status, while Owen is stepping out of his older brother’s shadow, making a name for himself with his exciting in-ring style. The Hart family’s influence in Stampede Wrestling continues to grow, and both brothers are being positioned for long-term success within the NWA system.

As Bret Hart prepares to move further into the main event scene, Owen’s rise has been one of the highlights of the promotion’s recent growth. Stampede Wrestling’s blend of technical wrestling and strong character work has resonated with fans on both sides of the border, and with the Hart brothers leading the charge, the promotion is on track to maintain its position as a key player within the NWA.

I might start throwing in a few teasers for the year 2000 along the way from time to time, starting off with some of the graphics the data will use for a couple of the top shows in the USA.

WCCW Monday Night Ignition & Intensity

zCz5xFd.jpegY2ca4Oi.jpeg

TWE Tuesday Night Titans & Mania

6cTJhih.jpegN0WmyRi.jpeg

I've also included various alternatives for each, including old-school variants of the two which could be versions used earlier in the 90s

IOIVPY8.jpegi6RS1Nm.jpegZWpjjv1.jpeg

As well as some more modern versions which I'm hoping to use narratives to have automatically get applied to certain ones as the game progresses, with the remainder to be available as alternatives for players to set if they prefer them.

CUz8z0s.jpeguv3nQMS.jpegWbB5rKQ.jpegryZQVKW.jpegbVI0ZeD.jpeg

t5D5SZf.jpegeTReb8p.jpegAZd3lKi.jpeg

Edited by diamondium
  • Like 6

Double update today to reflect a productive day working on the mod.

PWI 1989 Year In Review

Top 10 Wrestlers:

1. Sting
  2. Terry Funk
  3. Michael Hayes
  4. Bret Hart
  5. Jerry Lawler
  6. Magnum T.A.
  7. Barry Windham
  8. Kerry Von Erich
  9. Curt Hennig
  10. Lex Luger

Year End Awards:

• Wrestler of the year: Sting
  • Young wrestler of the year: Bret Hart
  • Veteran wrestler of the year: Terry Funk
  • Tag team of the year: Sting & Barry Windham
  • Promotion of the year: World Class Championship Wrestling

Sting Becoming the Face of the NWA - Clash with Magnum T.A. Inevitable?

Sting-At-Great-American-Bash-1990-Cropped.jpg
February 1989 - Sting’s meteoric rise continues as he firmly establishes himself as one of the top faces of the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA). With Ric Flair’s National Championship Promotions (NCP) expanding its reach across the United States, Sting has been a driving force behind the NWA’s growing national presence. His explosive athleticism, colorful persona, and undeniable charisma have made him a fan favorite, and he’s been defending the NWA World Heavyweight Championship against top contenders such as Kerry Von Erich and Barry Windham, of whom he is also on a run as a successful tag team with.

With NCP securing new syndication deals, including a high-profile weekly show on Ted Turner’s TNT network, Sting’s star power is bringing in new viewers and increasing attendance at live events nationwide. The champ’s ability to balance in-ring excellence with mainstream appeal has solidified his position as the NWA’s top star, and with 1989 in full swing, Sting is poised to continue his dominance at the helm of the wrestling world. Fans are increasingly asking when they'll see Sting face off with the man currently recognized as the 'face of the NWA', Magnum T.A. Could their faceoff be finally on the horizon this year?

WCCW Expands Cable Reach Amid Negotiations for National Coverage

s-l1200.jpg
March 1989 - World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW) has taken a significant step toward national exposure by securing the rights to expand its cable offerings into territories traditionally held by National Championship Promotions (NCP). Dusty Rhodes, who took ownership of WCCW in 1987, has been instrumental in negotiating this move, allowing WCCW to broadcast in eastern U.S. markets that overlap with NCP’s territories. This bold expansion places WCCW in a stronger position to compete on a national level, as it looks to reach fans outside of Texas.

Behind the scenes, negotiations between NWA’s National-tier promotions have been ongoing, with all parties seeking to ensure a balance between competition and cooperation. The key issue has been how to handle overlapping television markets. After extensive discussions, the NWA leadership has brokered a deal: National-tier promotions can broadcast in the same regions as long as their programming airs on different nights. This arrangement, seen as a compromise, is intended to prevent direct competition between NWA promotions while still allowing each to grow its national presence. The deal reflects a larger strategy within the NWA to ensure that all National-tier promotions can thrive under the growing influence of cable television.

Memphis Championship Wrestling Demoted, Allegations of NWA 'Playing Politics'

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSX29oS1idaBq1kkbdtFBL
April 1989 - In a shocking and controversial move, Memphis Championship Wrestling (MCW) has been officially demoted from the NWA’s “National” tier to its “Regional” tier. The decision comes as a blow to the storied promotion, which has long been a pillar of the NWA system under the leadership of Jerry Jarrett and its top star, Jerry Lawler. NWA leadership has justified the demotion by pointing to declining attendance figures and the lack of a significant television deal. However, many within the industry believe the decision is more politically motivated than performance-based.

Jerry Jarrett has openly expressed his outrage, suggesting that this demotion is a direct result of lingering bitterness from the controversy surrounding Jerry Lawler’s NWA World Heavyweight Championship reigns last year. Jarrett has accused the NWA of playing politics, punishing MCW for what he maintains was a series of unfortunate accidents in Lawler's title defenses. Despite the demotion, MCW remains one of the most popular wrestling promotions in the South, and insiders are questioning whether NWA leadership is using its new tier system as a way to tighten control over dissenting voices. MCW’s fans and roster are rallying behind the promotion, but the demotion could severely impact its national visibility moving forward.

AWA Stays Strong as NWA Expands Nationally

ddjwqr6-75a91487-71d7-40ec-92ee-a2d3c3c6fedf.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzU3MjdmMTI1LTQ0NTctNDQxYi04NjVkLTlkNTIxNDRkMGEyYVwvZGRqd3FyNi03NWE5MTQ4Ny03MWQ3LTQwZWMtOTJlZS1hMmQzYzNjNmZlZGYucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.J9J5_UCcbkdsgP0r7ZYcycXQCPaklDqiFCqilgRHCFA
June 1989 - As the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) continues to expand its cable presence and cement its dominance over the wrestling landscape, the American Wrestling Association (AWA) stands firm as the largest independent entity operating outside the NWA’s sphere. Despite the NWA’s aggressive push into national television markets, the AWA remains a dominant force in the Midwest, where it controls much of the wrestling scene. Under the leadership of Verne Gagne, the AWA has resisted modernization efforts, choosing to maintain a more traditional approach to wrestling that resonates deeply with its local fanbase.

Under the NWA’s newly established territorial map, WCCW has the rights to the Midwest, but Dusty Rhodes has opted not to encroach on AWA territory, allowing the promotion to maintain its stronghold in the region. The AWA’s steady attendance and loyal fanbase prove that not every promotion is eager to follow the NWA’s lead into the cable television era. Despite the growing influence of the NWA, the AWA’s success shows that there is still room for independent promotions to thrive in today’s wrestling landscape.

B-Tier NWA Promotions Struggle Under New System, 'Hidden' Industry Decline?

AWA3seats.png
August 1989 - Just two years after the NWA introduced its controversial two-tier system, the challenges facing regional-tier promotions are becoming painfully clear. Originally pitched as a way to help smaller territories thrive under the NWA’s growing national presence, the reality has been far less optimistic. Fans have increasingly flocked to the national-tier promotions, perceiving the regional-tier as “minor league” in comparison. Attendance at regional shows has been dwindling, and many of these smaller promotions are struggling to stay afloat.

While top-tier promotions like NCP, SW, and WCCW are seeing record-high revenues thanks to expanded cable deals, the broader wrestling industry appears to be facing a slow decline. Beneath the surface, many insiders are pointing to a general downward trend in live attendance across the wrestling world. Despite the NWA’s glowing financial reports at the top level, smaller promotions and independents are feeling the pinch as fans lose interest in regional wrestling. The NWA’s cable expansion is masking these deeper issues, creating the appearance of industry growth, but the cracks are beginning to show for those unable to secure national TV deals.

GLOW Files for Bankruptcy Amid Declining Popularity

GettyImages-1445933-1014x570.jpg
September 1989 - After several years of struggling to maintain viewership, the once-promising Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling (GLOW) has officially filed for bankruptcy. The women’s wrestling promotion, which gained a cult following with its unique blend of campy characters and over-the-top storylines, has seen a steady decline in both live attendance and television ratings. Despite efforts to refresh the product and capture a broader audience, GLOW has been unable to replicate the success of its early seasons, leading to financial instability.

Behind the scenes, GLOW’s downfall has poured fuel on the fire of a debate within the wrestling industry, with some pointing to the NWA’s recent reorganization as a contributing factor. Critics argue that the introduction of the two-tier system, which placed promotions into distinct "National" and "Regional" categories, has shifted fan focus toward the larger NWA promotions, leaving niche products like GLOW struggling to compete. Others, however, believe that GLOW’s highly stylized and niche approach had simply run its course, and that their demise was inevitable regardless of the reorganization. With no major wrestling promotion in the U.S. dedicated to women’s wrestling, most of GLOW’s roster now faces an uncertain future, either heading to smaller territories or seeking opportunities overseas.

Tragedy Strikes as Magnum T.A. Forced to Retire

magnum1.jpg?w=645
November 1989 - The wrestling world is reeling as it was announced that NWA icon Magnum T.A. has been forced to retire following a devastating car accident. Magnum, who was at the peak of his career, had been widely regarded as one of the top stars in professional wrestling. Fans were eagerly anticipating a dream match between Magnum and Sting at Starrcade ‘89—a “current vs. future” showdown that was expected to headline the event. Now, with his career tragically cut short, the NWA is scrambling to rework its plans for the biggest show of the year.

This marks the second consecutive year that the NWA has had to drastically change its Starrcade main event due to unforeseen circumstances, leaving many wondering how the promotion will move forward without one of its brightest stars. This comes on the back of a number of controversies and internal strifes within the NWA in the last couple of years. Magnum’s absence will leave a significant void in the NWA’s top card, and there are already questions about who will step up to fill his shoes. Fans and insiders alike are heartbroken by the news, as Magnum’s untimely exit marks the end of a career that many believe was destined for greatness.

Sting and Terry Funk Steal the Show at Starrcade ‘89

EelARV_WAAA_1ey.jpg
December 1989 - Starrcade ‘89 delivered one of the most memorable matches of the year as Sting successfully defended his NWA World Heavyweight Championship against Terry Funk in a bloody, hard-hitting main event. The two men engaged in a brutal contest that has been praised for its intensity and storytelling, with Funk’s chaotic, brawling style pushing the reigning champion to his limits. Sting’s victory not only solidified his position as the face of the NWA, but also cemented his legacy as one of the all-time greats in professional wrestling.

As the match unfolded, Funk refused to go down quietly, showcasing both men's toughness and determination. Fans were left in awe of their resilience, with Sting emerging victorious, further solidifying his status as the leader of a new generation in wrestling. Looking ahead to 1990, questions abound about who will challenge Sting next and whether anyone can dethrone him during his prime. Meanwhile, Funk’s gritty performance has reminded the wrestling world that, despite decades in the business, he still has plenty left to offer.

Behind the scenes, this strong performance brought a sigh of relief to NWA brass, who scrambled to pull the show together, which saw lower attendance and pay-per-view buys than 1988’s offering. With Starrcade’s success hinging on Sting’s star power, his stabilizing presence during a chaotic time for the NWA has made him beloved by management and seen as the key to leading the alliance through its growing pains.

Bonus teaser: NCP logos throughout the years (80s/90s/00s/10s)

UjflmQW.jpegCpuiMfk.jpegctPqUlj.jpeg7GQJs7x.jpeg

Edited by diamondium
  • Like 6

PWI 1990 Year In Review

Top 10 Wrestlers:

1. Sting
  2. Bret Hart
  3. The Great Muta
  4. Lex Luger
  5. Kerry Von Erich
  6. Owen Hart
  7. Jerry Lawler
  8. Chris Adams
  9. Randy Savage
  10. Michael Hayes

Year End Awards:

• Young wrestler of the year: Owen Hart
  • Veteran wrestler of the year: Jerry Lawler
  • Tag team of the year: The Road Warriors (Hawk & Animal)
  • Most improved promotion: Stampede Wrestling

Michael Hayes Shocks the Wrestling World with NWA Championship Win

800px-Michael_Hayes_1985.jpg
February 1990 - The wrestling world was left stunned this spring when Michael "P.S." Hayes, known for his rebellious antics as the leader of The Fabulous Freebirds, captured the NWA World Heavyweight Championship in a shocking victory over Sting. The win sent shockwaves through the industry, as Hayes, primarily known for his charismatic heel persona, upset one of the NWA’s most dominant champions. The match, a thrilling contest, showcased Hayes’ crafty in-ring psychology, as he used every trick in the book to outmaneuver the younger, more athletic Sting.

This victory marks a turning point in Hayes’ career, elevating him from a beloved tag team specialist to the NWA’s top singles champion. However, behind the scenes, tensions have already begun to surface between Hayes and NWA leadership. Hayes, never one to hold back, has publicly criticized NWA’s decision-making, fueling speculation that his run as champion could be fraught with internal conflict. Fans are now left wondering if this newfound tension will overshadow Hayes’ reign, or if he can solidify his place as the top heel in the NWA.

Memphis Championship Wrestling Struggles Following Regional Tier Downgrade

USWA-Championship-Wrestling-Jerry-Lawler-7-28-1990.png
March 1990 - Memphis Championship Wrestling (MCW), once a cornerstone of the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA), is struggling to stay relevant in the wake of its demotion to the "Regional" tier last year. The controversial decision, which many believe was fueled by internal NWA politics, has left the once-thriving promotion in a steep decline. MCW had long been a fan favorite in the South, thanks to the star power of Jerry Lawler and its gritty, homegrown style. However, since being downgraded, the promotion has seen a significant drop in attendance, with its influence diminishing both regionally and nationally.

Fans who once packed Memphis arenas have grown disillusioned as MCW finds itself sidelined in the larger NWA picture. Jerry Jarrett, furious over what he believes to be a political punishment stemming from Jerry Lawler’s controversial NWA World Heavyweight Championship reigns, has struggled to restore the promotion’s former glory. Without the prestige of being part of the national tier and lacking a strong television presence, MCW is losing ground to larger promotions like National Championship Promotions (NCP) and World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW). The regional downgrade has had a lasting impact, and MCW is now facing an uphill battle to reclaim its relevance in an increasingly competitive wrestling landscape.

WCCW Faces Star Power Crisis as Younger Talent Still Developing

professional-wrestler-kerry-von-erich-v0-ckjd75sphw4c1.png?auto=webp&s=577375376d97df9f9fb6bfb3582d94d42ef47fed
May 1990 - World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW), one of the powerhouses in the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA), is grappling with a star power crisis in 1990. Kerry Von Erich, still the promotion’s biggest name, remains a fan favorite in Texas, but his ability to draw crowds has noticeably diminished. After years of being featured prominently on the national stage without ever capturing the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, Von Erich’s star has begun to fade. Though still young and still beloved by WCCW’s core fanbase, his once-electric appeal is no longer enough to carry the promotion on his own.

Compounding the issue, WCCW is struggling to replace its former top stars. Michael Hayes, who had been a major draw for the promotion, moved to National Championship Promotions (NCP) last year, leaving a significant void in WCCW's roster. Young prospects like Steve Austin and Mark Callous have debuted recently and show promise, but they’re still very green in the ring with little to no character. With WCCW lacking a major breakout star to lead the next generation, the promotion finds itself on the outside looking in, unable to keep pace with the likes of NCP and Stampede Wrestling. As WCCW works to develop new talent, its current roster is struggling to take that next step into the national spotlight.

The struggles felt by WCCW are just one of many across the NWA as of late, with attendances diminishing and stalled expansion in cable markets all across the nation.

NWA Strips Michael Hayes of Championship Amid "Controversy in Canada"

fc731311-cbcc-47cb-bc8c-a3675adc72c0.jpg
June 1990 - In what is now being regarded as one of the biggest controversies in recent NWA history, Michael "P.S." Hayes has been officially stripped of the NWA World Heavyweight Championship following a highly publicized dispute over a scheduled title defense in Calgary, Canada. The NWA had been building toward a marquee event in Canada, where Hayes was set to defend his championship against rising star Bret Hart. This match was anticipated to solidify Hart’s status as a top contender and further establish the NWA’s growing presence in the Canadian market, where Stampede Wrestling had been thriving. However, in a shocking turn of events, Hayes refused to travel to Canada, citing a loophole in his contract that did not obligate him to defend the title outside the United States.

The NWA's swift decision to strip Hayes of the title sent shockwaves through the wrestling world. The situation escalated when Hayes, already known for his rebellious persona, refused to return the physical championship belt—the iconic "Ten Pounds of Gold"—and declared himself the “real champion.” This act of defiance has sparked one of the most chaotic and widely debated incidents in recent wrestling memory. Fans and insiders alike are divided over the legitimacy of Hayes' claims, with some believing that his refusal to travel was a calculated move to maintain his title reign, while others feel the NWA mishandled the situation by stripping him so abruptly.

Behind the scenes, tensions have been boiling over, as the NWA offered to refund the deposit Hayes had placed on the belt, an offer he promptly rejected. In response, the NWA leadership has scheduled a tournament to crown a new champion, but the shadow of this controversy continues to loom large over the promotion. The fact that Hayes still possesses the championship belt has left many wondering how long the NWA can operate without its most prestigious title. This incident has not only disrupted plans for the Canadian tour but has also cast doubt on the stability of the NWA’s championship hierarchy, as the promotion scrambles to move forward amidst the chaos.

NWA Introduces "Big Gold Belt" After Title Controversy, Bret Hart Victorious

9bc217875e1123dec0ef15774bb57947.jpg
July 1990 - In the wake of the "Controversy in Canada" surrounding Michael Hayes, the NWA has officially introduced a brand-new NWA World Heavyweight Championship design, known as the "Big Gold Belt." The ornate and large championship has been unveiled to symbolize a new era for the NWA, one that aims to leave behind the chaos of the past few years. The Big Gold Belt is seen as a modern symbol of excellence, and many are hailing it as the most impressive championship belt design in professional wrestling.

To crown a new champion, the NWA has announced a major tournament, culminating in Bret Hart winning the prestigious title. With Hart now carrying the Big Gold Belt, Stampede Wrestling has entered a period of dominance, as Hart defends the championship across both Canada and the United States. The new title design and the crowning of Hart mark a fresh start for the NWA, as the promotion looks to move beyond the recent turbulence and restore stability to its championship scene.

Wrestling Industry Faces Significant Decline, NWA Turns to Stampede for Stability

maxresdefault.jpg
August 1990 - As the summer of 1990 rolls on, it has become increasingly clear that the wrestling industry in the United States is experiencing a significant decline. Even top-tier promotions like National Championship Promotions (NCP) and World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW), once seen as powerhouses of the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA), are grappling with lower attendance figures. A combination of backstage controversies, creative missteps, and mounting fan disillusionment has left many U.S. audiences feeling jaded, leading to noticeable dips in live gate receipts and television ratings.

The wrestling industry’s ongoing struggles have hit smaller NWA territories particularly hard, with several once-proud promotions shutting their doors or barely surviving. Promotions like Continental Championship Wrestling and NWA Mid-America, which had long been staples of the NWA, have officially closed this year, unable to withstand the pressures of a shrinking audience and dwindling financial resources. The fan shift toward larger promotions like National Championship Promotions (NCP) and Stampede Wrestling has left many smaller territories struggling to compete, especially with a dwindling pool of total interest in wrestling the last few years.

Other promotions are barely hanging on by a thread. NWA Hollywood out west has yet to secure even a local TV deal and continues to struggle with attendance. Similarly, Championship Wrestling from Florida, once a powerhouse in its region, has seen its influence and visibility diminish. These promotions are fighting to stay relevant in a wrestling landscape increasingly dominated by larger, more modernized promotions, but for many, the writing appears to be on the wall.

In stark contrast, the wrestling scene north of the border is thriving, with Stampede Wrestling leading the charge. The Canadian promotion, spearheaded by newly crowned NWA World Heavyweight Champion Bret Hart, has seen booming attendance numbers and increased viewership, recently beginning to broadcast prime time on CBC, providing a much-needed lifeline for the NWA. Insiders suggest that the NWA has become increasingly reliant on Stampede Wrestling’s success to maintain its overall financial health, as the once-dominant U.S. promotions struggle to recapture the attention of fans. With Stampede’s technical style and athletic storytelling continuing to captivate Canadian audiences, the NWA is turning to its northern counterpart to help stabilize the wrestling industry during this period of turbulence.

Michael Hayes Takes NWA Title Hostage in Independent Shows

mhayes01.jpg
September 1990 - The saga between Michael Hayes and the NWA continues to unfold, as the rebellious former champion has taken the iconic NWA World Heavyweight Championship belt—the "Ten Pounds of Gold"—on the road, declaring himself the "real" champion. Hayes has been parading the stolen championship at independent wrestling shows, refusing to relinquish the belt despite being officially stripped of the title earlier this year. The NWA’s leadership is reportedly furious, with tensions rising as Hayes uses the belt to maintain his rebellious persona on the independent circuit.

Many fans see this as an act of defiance from Hayes, who has made no secret of his dissatisfaction with the NWA. Despite efforts by NWA officials to retrieve the belt through legal means, Hayes has continued to showcase the title at smaller shows, further adding to the chaos that has plagued the NWA championship scene in 1990. The question now is whether the NWA will be able to recover its prestigious belt and put an end to this escalating conflict.

Bret Hart Retains NWA Championship Against Sting in Starrcade Showdown

8480422-screen-shot-2021-02-23-at-5.10.57-pm.png

December 1990 - The highly anticipated main event of Starrcade ‘90 delivered a match for the ages as Bret Hart successfully retained his NWA World Heavyweight Championship against Sting in a hard-fought, thrilling contest. Bret Hart had the home field advantage here, with Starrcade being hosted in Calgary, a part of NWA’s increasing reliance on Canada to sustain its business. The bout, featuring two of the top wrestlers in the world, lived up to expectations, with Hart’s technical precision contrasting perfectly against Sting’s explosive athleticism. Fans were treated to a showcase of in-ring mastery, with both men pushing each other to the limit in one of the best matches of the year.

The rivalry between Hart and Sting has quickly become the centerpiece of the NWA, and their Starrcade encounter further solidified their places as the leading figures of professional wrestling. Bret Hart, representing Stampede Wrestling, has proven to be a dominant champion, and his victory over Sting at Starrcade cements his role at the top of the NWA. For Sting, despite the loss, his performance once again reinforced his status as the face of National Championship Promotions (NCP) and one of the industry’s biggest stars.

What makes this clash even more significant is the contrast it provides to the general decline within the wrestling industry in the USA. While many promotions are seeing reduced attendance and interest, plagued by controversy and creative missteps, the Hart-Sting rivalry stands out as a bright spot in an otherwise dark period for wrestling. Both men’s excellent in-ring performances and their strong character work have offered fans a rare glimpse of what wrestling can still deliver at its highest level, giving hope to an industry that has struggled to maintain momentum. As the NWA heads into 1991, the Sting-Hart feud remains one of the few shining beacons amidst a challenging time for the wrestling world.

Teaser for 2000 - The state of the NWA's 'National' Tier for the domestic regions of USA & Canada as of the year 2000 and a first draft at one of the opening splash screens for the database. Something interesting going on out west there, sure to come up in future timeline updates.

A0KzCyC.jpeg

Edited by diamondium
  • Like 10

PWI 1991 Year In Review

Top 10 Wrestlers:

1. Bret Hart
  2. Davey Boy Smith
  3. Owen Hart
  4. Curt Hennig
  5. Randy Savage
  6. Sting
  7. Arn Anderson
  8. Scott Steiner
  9. Lex Luger
  10. Kerry Von Erich

Year End Awards:

• Wrestler of the year: Bret Hart
  • Young wrestler of the year: Rey Misterio, Jr.
  • Veteran wrestler of the year: Jerry Lawler
  • Tag team of the year: Midnight Rockers (Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty)
  • Most improved promotion: Stampede Wrestling

Vince McMahon Spotted at NWA Events, Sparks Speculation

9e83a-15915958206003-800.jpg?w=640
February 1991 - The wrestling world is abuzz following sightings of Vince McMahon, the former head of the now-defunct WWF, at multiple National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) events throughout 1991. McMahon, who has spent the last few years out of the spotlight and working as an executive at the USA Network, has piqued interest with his quiet reappearance in the wrestling scene. His presence has fueled rumors of a possible return to the industry, though McMahon has remained tight-lipped about his intentions.

Some wrestling insiders speculate that McMahon’s appearance could be related to his ongoing media ventures, while others believe he is merely keeping a finger on the pulse of the wrestling world. Regardless of his reasons, fans and industry veterans are watching closely, wondering if the once-powerful promoter has plans to make his way back into the wrestling business, or if this is simply a curious figure revisiting old stomping grounds.

Michael Hayes’ Belt Saga Ends, Blacklisted by NWA

hqdefault.jpg
May 1991 - Michael Hayes’ infamous saga with the stolen NWA World Heavyweight Championship belt has come to an unceremonious end. After months of parading the stolen “Ten Pounds of Gold” around independent circuits, Hayes was finally forced to return the belt following legal action by the NWA. Hayes had held onto the title after refusing to drop it during his reign, claiming himself the true champion despite the NWA stripping him of the official title months earlier.

Now, with the belt returned, Hayes has officially left the NWA and signed with the AWA, but his once-thriving career seems to have taken a significant hit. The NWA has effectively blacklisted Hayes from ever working with any promotion in the alliance again, and many within the industry believe his rebellious stunt has permanently damaged his reputation. Hayes’ move to the AWA might offer him a fresh start, but insiders suggest it may be difficult for him to regain the momentum he once had. His decision to hold the belt hostage, which initially garnered attention, ultimately alienated him from the wrestling community at large.

Stampede Wrestling Booms, Bret Hart’s Feud with Sting Heats Up

bret-hart-intercontinental-champion-summerslam-1991-cropped.jpg
June 1991 - Stampede Wrestling continues to enjoy a golden era in 1991, with Bret Hart firmly at the top of the promotion’s success. Bret, who has been carrying the NWA World Heavyweight Championship since mid-1990, has turned Stampede into a wrestling powerhouse, with its mix of fast-paced, athletic wrestling and compelling characters resonating with fans across North America. Alongside Bret, rising stars like Owen Hart and Dynamite Kid are drawing in crowds with technical excellence and dynamic storytelling.

Bret’s ongoing feud with Sting, one of NWA's other top stars, has captivated fans, as the two men represent the pinnacle of wrestling’s present and future. Their rivalry is set to culminate in a highly anticipated rematch at Starrcade '91, where Sting will challenge Bret for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. This match, already being billed as a potential classic, pits two of the greatest technicians in the business against each other, with the outcome likely defining the future direction of the NWA. With Bret firmly established as a fan-favorite champion and Sting’s fiery underdog persona in full swing, their Starrcade clash is one of the most anticipated events in recent wrestling history.

Vince McMahon Rebuffed by NWA Leaders in Bid for Wrestling Return

Vince-McMahon-Donahue-Show-WWE-Scandal-1992.jpg
October 1991 - Vince McMahon, whose presence at NWA events has fueled speculation about his intentions, has reportedly been making overtures to NWA leadership in an effort to buy into one of its smaller promotions. Sources say McMahon quietly approached several regional promoters with the idea of launching a new wrestling promotion under the NWA banner. However, these attempts were met with resistance from the NWA’s higher-ups, particularly Ric Flair and Dusty Rhodes, both of whom have voiced skepticism about McMahon’s return to the wrestling business.

Insiders suggest that Flair and Rhodes are wary of McMahon’s potential to disrupt the existing NWA structure. McMahon’s failure to get the support he needs for his venture could spell the end of his bid to re-enter the wrestling world, at least for now. With NWA’s power players firmly in control, it appears McMahon’s ambitions may be stalled, leaving the wrestling community to speculate about whether he will abandon his efforts or find another way to make his return.

NWA Introduces Temporary Revenue-Sharing Model Amid Struggles

how-billy-corgans-nwa-reignited-my-love-of-pro-wrestling-v0-rsQ0um1yMjCx0VzMS1tYdSaG8em9b50XecKCHgqr9mU.jpg?auto=webp&s=96ae8b23953d2fee9bc95e151e233a09c74d1571
November 1991 - As the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) enters the final months of 1991, growing dissatisfaction among its smaller regional promotions has reached a breaking point, highlighting deep fractures within the organization. The introduction of the two-tier system, which divided the alliance into "A-tier" national promotions and "B-tier" regional promotions, has drawn heavy criticism from smaller promotions, which feel they have been relegated to a second-class status. Promotions like NCP, WCCW, and SW, all riding out the sustained downturn from their national television deals and lucrative cable contracts, dominate the NWA’s top storylines and titles. In contrast, B-tier promotions have struggled to stay relevant, unable to compete with the resources and visibility of their A-tier counterparts. Many regional promoters argue that the NWA has effectively created a hierarchy that prioritizes the larger promotions, leaving the smaller ones with little opportunity to grow or challenge for major championships.

The divide has become so stark that some smaller promotions have voiced concerns about the long-term sustainability of the NWA structure. Ric Flair, who owns NCP and wields significant influence within the NWA, has become a focal point of criticism. Many believe that Flair uses his power to protect his interests and maintain control over the championship picture, particularly as his top stars continue to occupy high-profile positions. This growing perception of favoritism has led to mounting tension among NWA members, with some regional promoters even considering breaking away from the alliance altogether.

To address these concerns and quell the unrest, NWA leadership has implemented a temporary revenue-sharing model aimed at keeping struggling regional promotions afloat. Under this system, larger A-tier promotions are required to share a portion of their broadcast revenue with B-tier promotions under their jurisdiction, in an effort to help smaller territories survive amid declining attendance and shrinking TV exposure.

While the revenue-sharing model is designed to stabilize the NWA as a whole, it has sparked controversy within the alliance. A-tier promotions, particularly NCP and WCCW, have expressed frustration at having to shoulder the financial burden of propping up their struggling counterparts. Many of these national promotions are already facing their own difficulties due to the general decline in the wrestling industry, where even top-tier promotions have seen a dip in live attendance figures and pay-per-view buys. With the economic slump persisting, the added responsibility of supporting the B-tier promotions has become a source of resentment among the A-tier.

WCCW owner Dusty Rhodes, while publicly supportive of NWA unity, has privately voiced his frustration over the situation, particularly as his promotion faces its own financial challenges. Rhodes is concerned that the revenue-sharing model might do little to address the deeper systemic issues within the NWA, and some fear that it could be a band-aid solution to a more complex problem. At the heart of the issue is the NWA’s struggle to balance national expansion with the health of its regional territories. The rapid growth of cable television has given promotions like NCP and Stampede Wrestling unprecedented national exposure, while regional promotions that lack such deals are slowly being left behind. The growing divide between the "haves" and "have-nots" is threatening the very fabric of the NWA, as smaller promotions demand a larger share of the spotlight and the resources needed to survive in an increasingly competitive landscape.

For now, the revenue-sharing model is a temporary fix, but it has done little to ease the underlying tensions within the alliance. With regional promoters feeling marginalized and A-tier promotions frustrated by the added financial strain, the future of the NWA’s two-tier system remains uncertain. Whether these stop-gap measures will be enough to hold the alliance together remains to be seen, as 1992 looms with the potential for further fractures in the wrestling world.

Sting Reclaims NWA World Heavyweight Championship from Bret Hart at Starrcade

84d305c9f23856c3570be30a3c96dd9c.jpg
December 1991 - In one of the most anticipated matches of the year, Sting has reclaimed the NWA World Heavyweight Championship from Bret Hart in a classic encounter at Starrcade '91. The match, a culmination of their long-running feud, lived up to its billing, with both men pushing each other to the limit in a hard-fought, technical battle. Sting’s victory, his second reign as champion, marks a pivotal moment in his career, solidifying him once again as the face of the NWA.

The rivalry between Sting and Bret Hart has captivated wrestling fans throughout the year, and their rematch at Starrcade delivered on every level. While Sting emerged victorious, Bret Hart remains one of the most respected champions in the NWA, and many are already speculating about a potential rematch in the future to settle their 1-1 tie. For now, though, Sting stands tall as the NWA World Heavyweight Champion, poised to lead the promotion into 1992 with his trademark intensity and heart.

Teaser for 2000:

R5EVP1Q.png

Mod development note:

I've been trying lots of different ways to make the company relationships 'stick' between A & B tier promotions in a region. For reference, my general aim with A & B being separate alliances was to make, for example, WCCW have individual relations with all the regional promotions in their overarching territory. The stickup I've been having, however, is that it seems that all of these relationships break down after a few months of simming every time, as AI just doesn't see the value on relationships of this nature, even with owner behaviors like Unifier and whatnot. I'm fine with things breaking down eventually on occasion, that can be part of the evolving story of a save, but it happening immediately every time is not optimal.

Still working on tweaks, like trying different company relationship terms that might help keep things stick better, but it's possible I don't come up with a great solution there by launch and people will have to accept that's just an area where the game's behavior doesn't quite line up with the lore. If anybody has encountered similar challenges in mods they've done, I'd happily take suggestions there.

Edited by diamondium
  • Like 6

Another productive day means another double update.

PWI 1992 Year In Review

Top 10 Wrestlers:

1. Sting
  2. Bret Hart
  3. Owen Hart
  4. Rick Rude
  5. Ricky Steamboat
  6. Dynamite Kid
  7. Scott Steiner
  8. Curt Hennig
  9. Lex Luger
  10. Steve Austin

Year End Awards:

• Young wrestler of the year: Shawn Michaels
  • Veteran wrestler of the year: Terry Funk
  • Tag team of the year: The Steiners (Rick Steiner & Scott Steiner)

Tri-State Wrestling Alliance Folds, Eastern Championship Wrestling Rises from the Ashes

ECW.jpg
April 1992 - The Tri-State Wrestling Alliance, a small promotion in the northeast, has officially gone bankrupt, marking the latest casualty in the struggling regional wrestling scene. After months of financial difficulties and dwindling attendance, Tri-State was unable to recover, and its closure leaves a gap in the northeastern wrestling market. However, out of this collapse comes a new beginning: Eastern Championship Wrestling (ECW).

Former Tri-State executive Tod Gordon has purchased many of the defunct promotion's assets and announced the formation of ECW, a new company based in Philadelphia, which will be the newest regional territory within the National Wrestling Alliance. ECW’s creation is seen as quite a risk, with the wrestling landscape not being friendly to local promotions as of late, however its possible with a fresh take, a new promotion can flourish where old ones aren’t.

Southeast Wrestling Alliance Forms After Major NWA Breakaway

ogHnMhG.png
May 1992 - In a stunning development, three major regional promotions—Memphis Championship Wrestling (MCW), Deep South Wrestling (DSW), and Championship Wrestling from Florida (CWF)—have officially withdrawn from the National Wrestling Alliance, citing dissatisfaction with the current structure and the underwhelming revenue sharing arrangement. Together, they have formed the Southeast Wrestling Alliance (SWA), a new coalition that aims to challenge the NWA’s dominance in the southern U.S.

The breakaway is the result of growing frustration with the NWA’s revenue-sharing model and the perceived favoritism toward larger promotions like NCP and Stampede Wrestling. MCW, in particular, has long harbored grievances over its treatment within the alliance. The formation of SWA is a major blow to the NWA, and insiders say that early negotiations with the American Wrestling Association (AWA) to create a unified rival alliance have been underway, though the AWA has pulled out of negotiations for now, preferring to maintain its independence. For the NWA, the SWA’s formation represents one of the biggest challenges to the alliance’s stability in years.

NWA Makes 'Deal With the Devil', Vince McMahon Officially Announces TWE

6aSFjo4.png
June 1992 - If you can't beat 'em, join' em. After a year of speculation and an initial rebuff, Vince McMahon has officially announced the creation of his new wrestling promotion, Titan Wrestling Entertainment (TWE). McMahon, the former WWF head who had been working in media after the collapse of his original venture, has been quietly planning his return to the wrestling world. His first attempt to launch TWE earlier last year was met with resistance from NWA leadership, including Ric Flair and Dusty Rhodes, who were wary of McMahon's past and his ability to disrupt the NWA’s existing power structure.

However, McMahon has since leveraged the NWA's ongoing financial difficulties, the formation of a rival alliance, and the burden of the revenue-sharing system to make a compelling case for his inclusion. By positioning TWE as a national promotion with significant financial backing, McMahon was able to convince NWA leadership that his resources could help alleviate the financial strain on larger national promotions like NCP, WCCW, and Stampede Wrestling. With TWE’s entry, McMahon promises that his company's success will reduce the revenue sharing burden of the other promotions, helping the NWA move toward a more stable financial future. Leveraging his former position at the USA Network, McMahon has announced that TWE will hit the ground running with a nationally broadcast television program, Tuesday Night Titans.

Officially set to launch in early 1993, TWE is poised to bring a more entertainment-focused style to the NWA, deviating from the more traditional wrestling-centric approach of existing promotions, operating out of and regaining the Northeast territory that the former WWF once held. This announcement has sent shockwaves through the wrestling world, as many fear that McMahon’s presence could fundamentally alter the direction of the NWA. However, with McMahon now officially in the fold, TWE’s entry into the alliance could represent a new chapter for the NWA, as it continues to evolve in response to both financial pressures and the changing tastes of wrestling audiences.

NWA Moves Quickly to Stamp Out SWA Rebellion

NWA.jpeg
July 1992 - Following the shocking formation of the Southeast Wrestling Alliance (SWA), the National Wrestling Alliance has wasted no time in taking action to undermine the breakaway group. NWA leadership, led by Ric Flair and Dusty Rhodes, have launched a series of aggressive countermeasures, including running numerous shows in the southeastern U.S. in an attempt to dilute the market and undermine SWA’s early momentum. These moves are designed to prevent the SWA from gaining a foothold in what has traditionally been NWA territory.

Early sales for these events have been strong, with fans in the southeast being historically underserved these national shows due to these promotions respecting the regional territories' rights to run shows in the area.

At the same time, Vince McMahon has been leveraging the SWA rebellion to strengthen his own position, negotiating permission from the NWA to poach some of SWA’s top talent for his upcoming Titan Wrestling Entertainment (TWE). Stars like Randy Savage, Curt Hennig, Jim Duggan, and Sgt. Slaughter have already been lured away from SWA’s ranks, weakening the fledgling alliance just as it tries to establish itself. With the NWA’s aggressive strategy and McMahon's opportunistic tactics, the future of the SWA looks uncertain, and many are already wondering how long this breakaway group can survive.

Owen Hart Turns Heel in Stampede Wrestling, Emerges as Top Star

68ef31eda2c24ee5c8b141bb2e1b1600_crop_north.jpg?1401371188&w=3072&h=2048
October 1992 - Stampede Wrestling, riding high on a wave of success, has taken its programming to new heights with the explosive rivalry between brothers Owen and Bret Hart. After years of living in Bret’s shadow, Owen has turned heel, breaking away from his family’s legacy and positioning himself as one of the NWA’s top villains. This heel turn has been a major storyline throughout 1992, with Owen’s new cocky and defiant persona captivating fans across Canada and the U.S.

Their intense, hard-hitting matches have been the highlight of Stampede’s programming, and Owen’s ability to step out from Bret’s shadow and become a legitimate main eventer has solidified him as one of the top stars in the NWA. Fans and insiders alike are eager to see where this feud leads as Owen continues to rise through the ranks, cementing his place as a major player in the world of wrestling.

SWA Folds, NWA Reabsorbs Breakaway Promotions

NWA.jpeg
December 1992 - In a stunning turn of events, the Southeast Wrestling Alliance (SWA) has officially disbanded just months after its formation. Without the support of the American Wrestling Association (AWA), as the SWA had initially hoped, and facing an exodus of top stars to both TWE and other NWA promotions, the alliance crumbled under the pressure. With empty arenas and declining interest from fans, SWA’s gamble to break away from the NWA proved to be a disastrous misstep.

NWA leadership, seizing the opportunity to reassert control, offered the three former members—MCW, DSW, and CWF—a chance to be reabsorbed into the alliance with minimal penalty, effectively wiping away the rebellion as if it had never happened. The rapid collapse of the SWA is seen as a major victory for the NWA, with the organization now able to point to the failed rebellion as a warning to other promotions considering defection. For the NWA’s leadership, it is a clear example of their dominance and ability to quash dissent.

Sting Defeats Bret Hart at Starrcade to Cement NWA Legacy

5c568918b637654b51681be38e4e3026.jpg
December 1992 - At Starrcade '92, one of the biggest matches of the year saw Sting defeat Bret Hart in an intense Ironman match to reclaim the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. This clash marked the culmination of the long-running feud between two of the NWA's brightest stars, with both men trading victories over the past two years. The highly anticipated contest lived up to its billing, with both Sting and Hart delivering one of the best performances of their careers.

The victory allows Sting to come out ahead in their previously tied 1-1 series at Starrcade. The win not only cements Sting’s place as the face of the NWA but also solidifies his legacy as one of the all-time greats in professional wrestling. While Bret Hart remains a major force within Stampede Wrestling and the broader NWA, this loss at Starrcade places the spotlight firmly on Sting as the NWA heads into 1993, with fans wondering who will step up next to challenge the reigning champion.

Despite the strong performance, many fans were let down that the NWA opted to do the same main event three years in a row, especially with Bret’s rivalry with Owen and Sting’s battles throughout the year with Rick Rude being natural choices and fresher matchups.

NWA Ends Revenue-Sharing Model amid Slight Uptick in Business

9590881bd82e52791dab65a4cc6fa168.jpg
December 1992 - In a move that has sparked widespread discussion within the wrestling industry, the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) has officially ended its controversial revenue-sharing model. Initially introduced in 1991 to support struggling regional promotions, the system saw larger A-tier promotions like National Championship Promotions (NCP) and Stampede Wrestling subsidize their smaller, regional counterparts. With attendances and revenues beginning to show signs of recovery throughout 1992, NWA leadership has decided to phase out the system, declaring that the alliance is strong enough to return to a more independent financial structure.

While the end of revenue sharing is seen as a relief for top-tier promotions like WCCW and NCP, which have long expressed frustration over having to support smaller territories, there are concerns that the decision may be premature. Some regional promotions argue that the recovery has been slower for them, and without financial support, they may struggle to stay afloat in the foreseeable future. There have been accusations thrown around about the end of this program being a punishment to the promotions formerly part of SWA, and that this is just catching all the other regional promotions in the alliance in the crossfire. However, with NWA brass insisting that the economic uptick justifies the end of the model, regional promotions have little choice but to accept the decision.

Adding to the controversy is speculation surrounding Titan Wrestling Entertainment (TWE), the newly announced promotion spearheaded by Vince McMahon. Many within the industry find it suspicious that TWE, which was granted entry into the NWA’s top tier in part due to its financial resources, was approved precisely to help ease the burden of revenue sharing and to assist in the battle against the newly formed SWA. Yet, with the revenue-sharing system being abolished and SWA dissolved before TWE even runs its first show, critics are questioning whether McMahon's entry was really about relieving financial pressure or whether the NWA leadership had ulterior motives for welcoming him into the fold.

Mod news: Been working on balance tweaks as well as bios/title lineages. 2 major companies have a first pass at worker bios done, all 5 major domestic companies have lineages (major titles as far back as their individual histories go, minor titles to 1995ish).

Teaser for 2000: SW has, at least in their main event scene, quite a bit going for it at the turn of the millennium.

CZU76ey.png

Edited by diamondium
  • Like 5

PWI 1993 Year In Review

Top 10 Wrestlers:

1. Bret Hart
  2. Sting
  3. Randy Savage
  4. Ultimate Warrior
  5. Rick Rude
  6. Owen Hart
  7. Scott Steiner
  8. Kerry Von Erich
  9. Davey Boy Smith
  10. Mark Callous

Year End Awards:

• Wrestler of the year: Bret Hart
  • Young wrestler of the year: Steve Austin
  • Veteran wrestler of the year: Sting
  • Tag team of the year: Harlem Heat (Booker T & Stevie Ray)
  • Most improved promotion: Titan Wrestling Entertainment

TWE Kicks Off With First Show, Tournament to Crown Heavyweight Champion

30ace1d063c40aa22a0eca1b3d9f8db2.jpg
February 1993 - Titan Wrestling Entertainment (TWE), Vince McMahon’s highly anticipated return to the wrestling world, has officially launched with its debut show. The event, which featured a packed lineup of former WWF stars and NWA talent, kicked off the promotion’s first major storyline: a tournament to crown the inaugural TWE Heavyweight Champion. With stars like Davey Boy Smith, Curt Hennig, Randy Savage, and Jim Duggan in the mix, the tournament is already shaping up to be a spectacle. However, all eyes are on The Ultimate Warrior, who has emerged as the heavy favorite to win the gold.

McMahon’s bold return to the wrestling scene, after years away, has caused a stir both within and outside the NWA. The Ultimate Warrior, whose larger-than-life persona makes him the face of TWE, is being positioned as the promotion's centerpiece. Fans are already speculating about Warrior’s path to the championship, but with Curt Hennig and Randy Savage hot on his heels, the tournament promises to be an unpredictable ride. TWE’s first show marked the beginning of what McMahon hopes will be a new era in wrestling, with the promotion’s entertainment-focused style offering a stark contrast to the more traditional NWA product.

Old Wounds Run Deep as NWA Tensions Rise Yet Again

dusty.jpg
May 1993 - Months after Titan Wrestling Entertainment’s (TWE) launch, the National Wrestling Alliance is still grappling with tensions stirred by Vince McMahon’s aggressive entry into the alliance. McMahon's fast-tracked approval, alongside his aggressive recruitment tactics, has drawn ire from several top NWA leaders, most notably Dusty Rhodes of WCCW and Stu Hart of Stampede Wrestling. Traditionally, NWA promotions have traditionally been given a grace period to negotiate with talent whose contracts are expiring. However, McMahon's rapid signing of Davey Boy Smith from Stampede Wrestling without observing this unwritten rule has left Stu Hart particularly frustrated.

The alliance hoped it would see a period of peace after spending much of last year battling dissent among the smaller promotions, but is now seeing some grievances come up among the national promotions as well.

Dusty Rhodes has also been starting to vocalize other concerns within the alliance. Rhodes believes his top stars have been overlooked for world title opportunities. The perceived favoritism toward NCP, SW, and now TWE has become a flashpoint for discontent. While the NWA leadership, including Ric Flair, attempts to hold the alliance together, the future remains uncertain as frustration builds within some of the oldest and most respected promotions.

Ultimate Warrior Departs TWE Amid Turmoil, Curt Hennig Takes Title

96a7d-16939295734195-1920.jpg
October 1993 - In a dramatic and unexpected turn, The Ultimate Warrior has officially exited Titan Wrestling Entertainment (TWE), leaving the promotion in chaos just months after its debut. Warrior, who had been set up to be the figurehead of the promotion for the long term, departed following creative differences with Vince McMahon. Tensions between the two had reportedly been simmering for months, with Warrior unhappy over his booking and direction in the company. Despite his early prominence, Warrior’s exit was seen coming by insiders, who watched as the relationship deteriorated behind the scenes.

Knowing that Warrior’s exit was inevitable, McMahon pivoted and pushed Curt Hennig into the spotlight, having him capture the TWE Heavyweight Championship shortly before Warrior’s official departure. Hennig’s win was seen as a calculated move to stabilize the promotion, as McMahon sought to build a new transitional champion in the absence of his former top star. Randy Savage, who has quickly become TWE’s most reliable draw, shedding his long-time villanous persona he had in MCW and adopting a ‘Macho Man’ babyface persona. Savage stands poised to take on a more prominent role as TWE reshuffles its roster. Time will tell if Savage can fill Warrior’s boots.

WCCW Slowly Improves as New Stars Break Out

596552_orig.png
October 1993 - World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW) has quietly seen its fortunes improve throughout 1993, with business slowly rebounding after a few challenging years. While the company has been in a serious star power deficit in recent years, the promotion has begun to recover by focusing on developing homegrown talent. Two of the brightest emerging stars, Steve Austin and Mark Callous, have been gaining momentum throughout the year, showcasing their potential to carry the promotion into a new era.

Austin’s sharp in-ring skills and brash personality have captivated WCCW audiences, while Callous’ towering presence and unique persona have made him an imposing figure in the promotion. Kerry Von Erich, still a major draw in WCCW, has provided a stabilizing influence as the younger generation rises through the ranks. Dusty Rhodes, frustrated by the loss of talent to TWE, has doubled down on promoting his next wave of stars, and this strategy is starting to pay off. As attendance figures gradually improve, WCCW appears to be on the upswing, offering fans a grittier, more traditional alternative to the entertainment-heavy style of TWE.

Bret Hart Defeats Sting at Starrcade over Chorus of Boos, Fans Frustrated by Repetitive Booking

wwe-hulk-hogan-bret-hart3.jpg
December 1993 - Starrcade '93 delivered another high-caliber main event as Bret Hart defeated Sting in a steel cage match to reclaim the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. This bout, the fourth consecutive Starrcade headlined by Hart and Sting, was praised for its technical proficiency in-ring, but that was overshadowed by the fans loudly voicing frustration over the NWA’s increasingly predictable booking, with fans bombarding the entire match with boos. The rivalry, while respected, has begun to feel stale for many viewers, who feel that the NWA leadership is afraid to take risks at its biggest show of the year.

Behind the scenes, whispers of political maneuvering within the NWA have grown louder, with many believing that the reluctance to elevate new talent to the Starrcade main event is a product of internal struggles. Ric Flair’s control over National Championship Promotions (NCP) and his influence within the NWA are rumored to be contributing factors, with insiders suggesting that the NWA leadership is hesitant to disrupt the established order. Despite these concerns, Bret Hart’s victory solidifies his legacy as one of the NWA’s all-time greats, though the pressure is mounting for the alliance to inject fresh faces into its marquee matchups.

TWE Grows Rapidly Despite Tumultuous First Year

6aSFjo4.png
December 1993 - Despite a tumultuous first year marked by the high-profile departure of The Ultimate Warrior, Titan Wrestling Entertainment (TWE) is catching fire with fans and seeing significant growth. McMahon’s entertainment-centric product, coupled with a roster of former WWF stars and young NWA talent, has resonated with a broad audience. Randy Savage and Curt Hennig, now calling himself Mr. Perfect, both of whom have stepped into major roles following Warrior’s exit, are quickly becoming two of the promotion’s biggest attractions.

TWE’s rapid growth has also been fueled by its aggressive marketing and television presence, which have helped the company stand out in an increasingly competitive wrestling landscape. Though its first year has been anything but smooth, TWE’s future looks bright, with fans flocking to its unique blend of spectacle and in-ring action. As the company heads into 1994, McMahon’s vision of reshaping the wrestling industry is beginning to take hold, positioning TWE as a rising force in the NWA hierarchy.

The emergence of this new style is being felt across the NWA as well, with the shakeup in the landscape bringing eyes back to the wrestling world which had been in an extended downturn. 1993 has seen a resurgence across the board in fan interest, although some like NCP are slower to recover due to perceptions of being stale.

Posting this update from work so I don't have anything specific to tease here about the 2000 data, so here's a little easter egg article from outside of the wrestling world.

Hulk Hogan's Hollywood Success Continues Despite Critical Panning

Suburban-Commando-(1).jpg

July 1993 - Hulk Hogan's unexpected transformation from wrestling icon to Hollywood movie star continues to defy expectations. Despite his consistently panned acting performances, Hogan remains a box office juggernaut, drawing audiences to theaters for his family-friendly blockbusters. Hogan’s early success with "Brother, We Shrunk the Kids", where he played a bumbling father who accidentally shrinks his children, became a major hit in 1989, kicking off his unlikely career in the film industry.

Last year, Hogan was back on the big screen with his latest film, Home Alone 2: Lost in Hulkamania. Critics have not been kind, once again pointing out Hogan’s extremely limited acting range and his inability to move beyond his signature tough-guy persona. “His delivery is about as subtle as a body slam,” one reviewer quipped.

Despite the constant critical panning, Hogan's box office success shows no signs of slowing down. His appeal has even led to a surprising casting choice for his next project—Hogan will be taking on a serious dramatic role as the lead in the upcoming film Schindler’s List. The film, based on true events, is a significant departure from Hogan’s usual blockbuster fare. While many are skeptical about his ability to handle the weight of such a serious story, the buzz surrounding the project has already guaranteed that it will be one of the most talked-about films of the year. Whether Hogan can prove his critics wrong remains to be seen, but if there’s one thing the Hulkster knows how to do, it’s keep people watching.

Edited by diamondium
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, AlanMaths677 said:

This has been a real joy to read. Loving all these updates and love how your take of the iDom lore is shaking up. Every couple of years I like to go back and read through the iDom wiki and it's such a cool alternative universe. 

Keep up the amazing work man, can't wait to see how Prime Time Wrestling comes about

Thanks! Yeah, I'm the exact same way, it's always a universe that has entirely fascinated me, dating back to being my favorite EWR mod back in the day and every version of the universe since, regardless of who has taken up the mantle to continue it, has always been top of my list to play. Something about that wiki just gets me as well, it just hits right.

It's been a fun experience so far getting to start from scratch on the timeline, going deep into wrestling lore to develop this one, learning a lot about periods from long before I was a wrestling fan (or born, for that matter) to try to spin off logical destinations is a surprisingly fun endeavor. Here's hoping the mod itself can hold up as enjoyable to play in for folks.

PWI 1994 Year In Review

Top 10 Wrestlers:

1. Owen Hart
  2. Sting
  3. Randy Savage
  4. Kerry Von Erich
  5. Curt Hennig
  6. Vader
  7. Chris Adams
  8. Steve Austin
  9. Mark Callous
  10. Shawn Michaels

Year End Awards:

• Wrestler of the year: Owen Hart
  • Young wrestler of the year: Jean Paul Levesque
  • Veteran wrestler of the year: Randy Savage
  • Tag team of the year: The Steiners (Rick Steiner & Scott Steiner)
  • Most improved promotion: Titan Wrestling Entertainment

Randy Savage Claims TWE Heavyweight Championship, Filling the Void Left by Warrior

savage-beltjpg.jpg
March 1994 - Titan Wrestling Entertainment (TWE) continues its rapid ascent within the National Wrestling Alliance, with Randy Savage cementing himself as the face of the promotion. After an intense feud with Curt Hennig, Savage captured the TWE Heavyweight Championship at Clash of the Titans II. The match, marked by high drama and spectacular in-ring action, was a defining moment for TWE. With his victory, Savage fully stepped into the role left vacant by The Ultimate Warrior’s abrupt exit from the company last year, a position many thought would be impossible to fill.

Savage, whose persona was once defined by villainy, has now fully embraced his now-iconic “Macho Man” persona in his role as TWE’s heroic figurehead. His ability to capture the crowd’s imagination has been instrumental in elevating TWE’s brand. Under his leadership, TWE has not only gained a foothold in the NWA’s upper tier but has also begun to challenge some of the more traditional promotions with its mix of athleticism and sports entertainment. Davey Boy Smith’s dominant performances, additionally, have caught on well with the American audience, and the tag team of Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty, new hires formerly working for NWA: Hollywood, have quickly become fan favorites. This ability to create new stars show that TWE is capitalizing on its talent and momentum, with McMahon’s vision of a new era of wrestling beginning to take shape.

Owen Hart Claims NWA World Heavyweight Championship

D7QONf5UcAA9XCg.jpg
March 1994 - In a defining moment for Stampede Wrestling, Owen Hart captured the NWA World Heavyweight Championship in a hotly contested tournament, stepping out of his brother Bret Hart’s shadow and securing his place as one of the top heels in the company. Owen’s rise comes after Bret was forced to vacate the title due to injury, leaving the door open for Owen to seize the spotlight. With his brash, cocky persona, Owen has solidified himself as a standout villain in the NWA, drawing heat from crowds and delivering stellar in-ring performances.

Many fans are relieved to see a fresh new face getting a push in the NWA, and are hopeful he can carry the title all the way to Starrcade in what could be a star-making run.

WCCW’s Business on the Rise Amid Renewed Focus and Fresh Talent

850160f7566391c8-600x338.jpg
May 1994 - World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW) has seen a noticeable upswing in business throughout 1994, marking a major turnaround after several challenging years. Under Dusty Rhodes’ leadership, the promotion has doubled down on its Southern roots while focusing on creating the next generation of stars, helping it stand out in the crowded NWA landscape. Attendance figures have begun to rise steadily, and the promotion’s TV ratings are showing renewed strength, fueled by a series of compelling storylines and the continued loyalty of its Southern fanbase.

One key aspect of WCCW’s resurgence has been its ability to cultivate new stars. Steve Austin and Mark Callous, two of WCCW’s homegrown talents, have captured the audience’s attention with their bold characters and impressive in-ring work. Austin’s rough Texan character and sharp technical skills are positioning him as a future main eventer, however many argue his character doesn't stand out among a roster of similar gimmicks, while Callous’ dominating presence has made him a force to be reckoned with in the heavyweight division. Alongside established veterans like Kerry Von Erich and heels like Vader and Bam Bam Bigelow, WCCW is striking a balance between tradition and innovation. As the promotion continues its upward trajectory, there’s a renewed sense of optimism that it could reassert itself as a key player in the NWA.

Sting Reclaims NWA World Title from Owen Hart Amid Concerns Over Drawing Power

surfer-sting-wcw-world-heavyweight-champion.jpg
June 1994 - In a surprising move, Sting recaptured the NWA World Heavyweight Championship from Owen Hart several months ahead of the originally planned showdown at Starrcade. While Owen’s reign was initially met with excitement, the expected spike in attendance and TV ratings failed to materialize, prompting NWA leadership to make an early switch to Sting in an effort to reinvigorate interest. Sting, a longtime fan favorite and the face of the NWA for much of the 1990s, returned to the top spot in an attempt to stabilize business.

Owen’s reign, while marked by solid in-ring performances, simply hadn’t translated into the box-office draw that the NWA had hoped for. Sting’s return to the championship scene was seen as a safe move to maintain the NWA’s relevance, though it raised questions about the alliance’s reluctance to fully invest in newer talent. Sting’s victory came in a match that generated renewed fan excitement, but the decision to pull the plug on Owen’s reign early has left some wondering if the NWA is overly dependent on its established stars.

Lex Luger Shocks the Wrestling World with Sudden Retirement

f3cccdd35b079e5e9b6af19aacb47b9e.jpg
July 1994 - In a stunning announcement, Lex Luger, one of the most prominent figures in National Championship Promotions (NCP), has officially retired from professional wrestling due to a severe neck injury. Luger, who sustained the career-ending injury during a match with Vader, has decided to step away from the ring rather than risk further damage. His retirement marks the end of an impressive career, during which Luger held the NCP Heavyweight Championship twice and captured the NWA World Tag Team Championship once.

Luger’s decision to retire has sent shockwaves through the wrestling world, as he was seen as one of NCP’s key players. Known for his power-based style and his chiseled physique, Luger became a fan favorite throughout the late 80s and early 90s. His high-profile feuds and championship reigns made him one of the most recognizable names in the NWA. With Luger stepping away from the spotlight, the wrestling world is left reflecting on his legacy and wondering how his absence will shape the future of the promotion he helped build.

NCP Rejuvenates as New Stars Break Through and Stale Main Event Scene Fades

BB1nMmKy.img?w=768&h=431&m=6&x=357&y=110&s=197&d=197
August 1994 - After years of stagnation, National Championship Promotions (NCP) is finally showing signs of renewal, fueled by a fresh crop of stars and a revitalized production style. In recent years, NCP’s main event scene had grown stale, with few credible challengers emerging to oppose Sting. As a result, fan interest began to wane, and NCP, while still atop the NWA, struggled to see growth. However, the arrival of new talents like Diamond Dallas Page, Dean Malenko, and the dark brooding Raven (previously known as Scotty Flamingo) has injected much-needed energy into the promotion, even despite the recent crushing loss of Lex Luger.

Eric Bischoff, a rising star behind the scenes, has additionally spearheaded a modernization of NCP’s production, giving the promotion a slicker, more polished presentation that resonates with fans. The dominant tag team of Harlem Heat has also brought new excitement to the division, helping to elevate NCP’s programming. As new rivalries develop and NCP’s main event scene becomes more dynamic, the promotion is beginning to reclaim its former glory, positioning itself for continued growth as it moves into 1995.

Tensions in NWA Reach Boiling Point Ahead of Crucial Summit

how-billy-corgans-nwa-reignited-my-love-of-pro-wrestling-v0-rsQ0um1yMjCx0VzMS1tYdSaG8em9b50XecKCHgqr9mU.jpg?auto=webp&s=96ae8b23953d2fee9bc95e151e233a09c74d1571
October 1994 - Another year, another NWA crisis. The National Wrestling Alliance is seemingly on the brink of a major upheaval, with tensions between member promotions reportedly reaching an all-time high. Regional territories have nearly a decade of built-up frustrations, now additionally feeling marginalized by the growing influence of Vince McMahon’s TWE and the continued focus on large national promotions like NCP and Stampede Wrestling. WCCW, which has been overlooked for major NWA opportunities and its stars never being in consideration to hold the top belt, has openly voiced its displeasure, while international promotions such as New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW) and the Imperio de Lucha Azteca (ILA) are furious over being treated as afterthoughts.

The NWA’s upcoming summit in 1995 is being seen as a pivotal moment for the alliance, with many predicting that major changes will be necessary to keep the organization from fracturing. Regional promotions, in particular, are angry at the direction the NWA has taken over the past decade, feeling that they have been sidelined in favor of bigger, more corporate-friendly promotions. The summit is shaping up to be a make-or-break event for the NWA, with all eyes on how the alliance will address these mounting frustrations and whether it can mend the deep divides within its ranks.

Sting Defeats Owen Hart at Starrcade, Thanks to Bret’s Shocking Return

01j3xdvcrkj3e5aba2be.jpg
December 1994 - In a dramatic conclusion to Starrcade '94, Sting reclaimed the NWA World Heavyweight Championship from Owen Hart in a match filled with twists and surprises. The bout, which had fans on the edge of their seats, saw Bret Hart make his shocking return to the ring after months away due to injury. In an unexpected turn, Bret interfered in the match, costing his brother Owen the title and allowing Sting to secure the victory.

The Hart brothers’ conflict has added a new layer to the NWA’s most prestigious title scene, with fans eagerly anticipating where this family drama will lead. While Sting’s victory has reaffirmed his status as the face of the NWA, the ongoing saga between Bret and Owen has reignited interest in Stampede Wrestling and the wider alliance. However, some critics have expressed frustration with the NWA’s reliance on familiar faces, arguing that the promotion has missed opportunities to push new talent to the forefront at its biggest show of the year. Fans yearning for change were at least pleased to see NWA brass trusting Owen Hart with a spot in the main event, even in a losing effort.

Mod note & update: I suspect once the timeline reaches 2000, I'll have a bit more fine-tuning before I'm ready to throw out a beta release, so I'll likely pivot from timeline updates to company profiles for the major players for a bit once the timeline reaches 2000. The timeline update posts have actually been super useful in developing the mod, as expanding on things I just had bullet points on previously allows me to give the lore deeper considerations, numerous changes have butterflied into larger ones since starting these.

The last couple days haven't had a whole lot of time to work on it, however there has been progress made in gameplay tuning. Some really long-term sims while I'm at work have given lots of information as to how the data plays out, which in turn influences lots of adjustments across the board. For example, lately I've been toying with era settings to really influence the amount of money promotions make, with the aim of preventing large promotions from running away on finances being the big aim.

My most recent long-term sim had 2 of the national promotions die within a decade while lots of the smaller promotions had a similar churn rate to what you expect, so obviously those nerfs got overtuned a bit, but it was promising to see that the tweaks were hitting the right area (namely significantly lowering PPV/TV deal money, as those are things that big promotions get that smaller ones don't, and somewhat increasing wage demands), however 19 of the top 20 workers in the 10th year were from ILA, with that imbalance just increasing each year it went on, so I think the lack of a competitor there is allowing them to dominate their national pool of workers, allowing them to stack their cards and churn out 100-rated matches. Some significant adjustments are to be made south of the border, whether that's adjusting the lore so there's more competitors to spread out their talent pool (I haven't touched the base iDom lore for Mexico yet, so FMLL isn't set to exist until mid-2000s as a major competitor) or making adjustments to the currently very strong worker pool available.

Speaking of ILA, just a heads up to people in-tune with international wrestling (Japan, Mexico, etc.) that much like my former mod, this one is very heavily focused on the domestic USA/Canada region, if that hasn't been apparent from the timeline updates. This is simply a byproduct of my complete lack of knowledge on those wrestling scenes. Any game areas outside of there will be playable, the companies will have rosters & current champions, some basic lore will exist, but anything past that is considered out of scope for the mod as I'm working on it. I'm entirely open to allowing somebody to take the reigns on those international regions if anybody has the desire to do so, otherwise it's just something to keep in mind.

Edited by diamondium
  • Like 4

PWI 1995 Year In Review

Top 10 Wrestlers:

1. Owen Hart
  2. Kerry Von Erich
  3. Bret Hart
  4. Randy Savage
  5. Shawn Michaels
  6. Sting
  7. Steve Austin
  8. Mark Callous
  9. Cactus Jack Foley
  10. Jean Paul Levesque

Year End Awards:

• Wrestler of the year: Owen Hart
  • Young wrestler of the year: Chris Benoit
  • Veteran wrestler of the year: Randy Savage
  • Womens wrestler of the year: Sherri Martel
  • Tag team of the year: Cactus Jack & Terry Funk

WCCW Launches Women’s Division, Sherri Martel Crowned Champion

a021bff0139aac1b61bd7be32381944b.jpg
April 1995 - World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW) has officially entered the women’s wrestling scene with the launch of its first-ever women’s division, a groundbreaking step for the promotion. Led by veterans Sherri Martel, Medusa, Luna Vachon, and Terri Runnels, the division brings a fresh element to WCCW’s already dynamic roster. Sherri Martel, with her decades of experience and unmatched charisma, was crowned the champion of a newly revived NWA World Women’s Championship in a move that cemented her place at the top of the division. This is to be the first major commitment to womens wrestling on American TV since the demise of GLOW.

This move comes at a time when WCCW is expanding its appeal, aiming to attract a more diverse fanbase. By adding female competitors to the mix, the promotion hopes to remain competitive within the increasingly crowded NWA landscape. Fans and insiders alike are eager to see how WCCW will balance its Southern wrestling roots with this new offering.

Paul Heyman Inherits Struggling ECW, Vows to Revive It

3-maestro-Cropped.jpg
May 1995 - Paul Heyman has taken control of Eastern Championship Wrestling (ECW) at a critical time, inheriting a promotion in disarray. Since its creation in 1992, ECW has struggled with dwindling attendance, inconsistent storylines, and financial instability. The promotion, since its launch, has been a small player, struggling to find its footing in a competitive wrestling market dominated by larger NWA-affiliated territories. When Heyman stepped in earlier this year, he inherited a company teetering on the brink of collapse.

Heyman has grand visions of transforming ECW into a hardcore wrestling haven, where brutal matches and no-holds-barred storytelling can attract a passionate and loyal audience. Although there is little momentum behind the promotion at this point, Heyman’s bold ideas have sparked interest, with hopes that his innovative approach could reverse ECW’s fortunes. His vision involves tapping into the underground wrestling scene, but whether ECW can truly bounce back remains to be seen.

NWA Summit Brings Sweeping Reforms to Stabilize the Alliance

1200px-National_Wrestling_Alliance_logo_2019.svg.png
July 1995 - The National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) has reached a critical juncture in its storied history, with tensions between member promotions coming to a head at the highly anticipated NWA Summit held in New York this July. Years of dissatisfaction, particularly from smaller and regional promotions, have put the alliance under immense pressure to adapt or face potential fractures. The larger national promotions, like National Championship Promotions (NCP) and World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW), as well as newer entities such as Titan Wrestling Entertainment (TWE), have increasingly dominated the spotlight, leaving many of the smaller and international promotions feeling overlooked.

The summit, which was attended by representatives of all NWA-affiliated promotions, focused on addressing these growing frustrations. The result was a series of sweeping reforms designed to stabilize the alliance and ensure more equitable representation across its many territories. Here’s a breakdown of the key changes and what they mean for the future of the NWA:

Tiered System Tweaks

The NWA has reorganized the former regional tier into a tier they are calling the ‘independent’ tier. It’s base function is still the same with minor operational tweaks, however in combination with the other reforms, the end goal is that these ‘independent’ promotions (indies for short) have a lot more say over their own operations, allowing them to act more independently while still benefiting from being part of the NWA umbrella

New Championships for Each Tier

To further legitimize each tier and provide new opportunities for wrestlers outside the national spotlight, the NWA announced the creation of a number of new championships:

• The NWA Independent Heavyweight Championship will function as a touring title, moving between independent promotions. The belt will be defended in different territories, giving smaller promotions a prestigious title that their wrestlers can compete for. This idea was inspired by the success of regional titles in the past and is designed to keep interest alive in the independent territories.
  • The NWA Pacific Heavyweight & Latin America Heavyweight titles will be contested by top talent in their respective regions, with only promotions from those regions having a say in these titles' decisions. This move is seen as a way to increase international visibility for the NWA and to ensure that international stars have a major title to pursue within the NWA’s system without being overshadowed by their American counterparts.
  • NWA has committed to expanding the championships available after adequate time has elapsed, with tag & women’s titles for these regions being potential additions down the line.

These new championships aim to create meaningful opportunities for non-national stars and give each tier something to build around, enhancing competition and allowing the NWA to showcase its diverse roster.

Autonomous Councils for Each Tier

Each tier will now operate under the guidance of its own council, consisting of one representative from each member promotion. These councils will have the power to make decisions on important matters like title changes, talent trades, and scheduling, ensuring that each tier has autonomy over its own affairs.

• The National Tier Council will focus on managing high-profile NWA events and ensuring that the national-level promotions continue to grow their presence on cable television. This council will also oversee decisions regarding the NWA World Heavyweight Championship and other continental championships.
  • The Independent Tier Council will focus on providing opportunities for smaller promotions, facilitating talent trades with the national tier, and managing the NWA Independent Heavyweight Championship’s touring schedule.

These councils are intended to give each tier more control over its own affairs, preventing the larger national promotions from monopolizing decision-making. By decentralizing authority, the NWA hopes to create a more balanced and fair environment, with each tier able to shape its future.

Movement Between Tiers

One of the more controversial aspects of the summit was the formalization of the system allowing promotions to move between tiers, provided they meet certain criteria. The main benchmark for promotion to the national tier is the attainment of a significant national television deal. However, any movement between tiers is still subject to a vote by the national tier’s council.

While this reform theoretically allows for greater upward mobility within the NWA, critics argue that the national tier’s veto power effectively maintains the status quo. Smaller and independent promotions worry that even if they achieve significant success, they may still be blocked from joining the national tier due to political maneuvering. Proponents, however, believe that this safeguard will ensure only the most viable promotions reach the national stage, maintaining the integrity of the NWA’s top tier.

The NWA Summit has been hailed as a success by many, with these reforms viewed as crucial steps toward healing the fractures within the alliance. Smaller and international promotions now have more autonomy and representation, while the introduction of new titles offers fresh opportunities for wrestlers to make their mark. However, the true test of these reforms will be how they play out over the coming months and years. Can the NWA truly create a fair and unified system, or will the old power dynamics continue to dominate?

With these changes, the NWA is positioning itself for long-term growth. But with lingering tensions still present and skepticism over certain elements of the reform, it remains to be seen whether this summit will mark a new beginning for the alliance or merely delay its next crisis.

Randy Savage Anchors TWE Amid Promising New Talent

randy-savage-13134.jpg?width=1200&auto=webp&quality=75
August 1995 - Titan Wrestling Entertainment (TWE) continues its steady rise within the NWA landscape, with Randy Savage firmly established as the face of the promotion. Savage, whose flamboyant "Macho Man" persona has remained a massive draw, is the focal point of TWE’s programming. His intense promos and explosive in-ring style have resonated with audiences, making him the defining star of the company. His ongoing feud with Curt Hennig has been one of the most compelling storylines in wrestling, and Savage’s star power shows no signs of fading, even despite being well into his 40s. Shawn Michaels is another promising face, who has rocketed his way towards the main event scene as a cocky heel after betraying his long-time tag partner Marty Jannetty.

TWE has also brought in new talent, including Jean Paul Levesque, who, while promising, is potentially hindered by his overly cartoony aristocrat persona. Levesque’s potential has been noted by insiders, but he is far from the main event picture. For now, TWE continues to rely heavily on Randy Savage’s immense popularity to keep fans engaged as Vince McMahon’s vision of a sports entertainment-focused product evolves. The question now is whether TWE can continue its upward trajectory by cultivating new stars or if it will remain reliant on Savage's star power.

Magnum T.A. Returns: Can He Adapt to the Modern Wrestling Landscape?

magnum-ta-reveals-ric-flair-wrestle-retirement-struggles.webp
September 1995 - Magnum T.A., once one of the brightest stars in the NWA, has made a surprise return to professional wrestling, signing with World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW) after a nearly six-year absence. Magnum’s career was cut short by a devastating car accident in 1989, and many thought his wrestling days were behind him. Now, Magnum is allegedly cleared to wrestle, but questions surround whether his skills and persona can adapt to the rapidly changing wrestling landscape. At 36 years old, Magnum T.A. should be in the prime of his career from a physical standpoint, however significant time away from the ring healing from a career-threatening injury leaves question marks as to whether he ‘still has it’.

The NWA has evolved dramatically since Magnum’s heyday, with faster-paced, more intensive matches becoming the norm. Early reactions to Magnum’s return have been mixed, with some fans excited by his presence, while others feel his classic "tough hero" persona may no longer resonate in a world dominated by more complex characters. Magnum will need to prove he can connect with a new generation of fans, especially as WCCW continues to embrace a harder-hitting style that differs from the wrestling he once dominated.

WCCW Thrives as Kerry Von Erich Rises Despite Magnum T.A.'s Struggles

BmFGF5aL_bEz0FWR4Qm78vodnfe0Yc1h9VO-AqhVnI8fb5DRskpiY9vC4OctFfpBSrhRMfNte0eIFTZ2dVU0nuC3SfIR-yX_yto_InVhNuUM0EQyZdPp68uV3kgzDA
November 1995 - World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW) is experiencing a major resurgence in 1995, seeing growth that puts it right behind NCP as the largest company in the USA. While many expected the return of Magnum T.A. to be the driving force behind WCCW’s success, the former 3-time NWA World Heavyweight Champion has struggled to reconnect with the modern wrestling audience. Magnum, once the embodiment of an All-American wrestling hero, initially floundered upon his return, with his classic persona failing to resonate. It appears this has been recognized by WCCW management, however, as on recent shows he has appeared to embrace an angrier side to his character. Time will tell how this character develops and if it lights the spark the star needs to find his place in the new wrestling world.

However, WCCW’s resurgence has not been hindered by Magnum’s early struggles. In fact, the promotion has thrived thanks to the emergence of other top talents, including the emergence of the unpredictable Cactus Jack. Known for his chaotic brawling style and reckless in-ring antics, Cactus Jack has captivated WCCW’s fanbase, injecting the promotion with a raw, unpredictable energy. His brutal matches have helped add a violent edge that has drawn in new audiences.

At the same time, the promotion’s crown jewel, Kerry Von Erich, has seen his star rise to new heights. Thanks to the recently introduced NWA council structure, WCCW now has a stronger voice in the broader NWA landscape, which has given Von Erich increased national exposure. Von Erich is poised to face Owen Hart at the upcoming Starrcade ‘95, where he will attempt to win the NWA World Heavyweight championship for the first time since 1984.

Kerry Von Erich Defeats Owen Hart to Win NWA World Title at Starrcade '95

kerry-von-erich-in-wwe.jpg
December 1995 - Starrcade '95, the NWA’s biggest event of the year, delivered a dramatic main event that saw Kerry Von Erich triumph over Owen Hart to capture the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. In front of a packed arena, Von Erich, long a fan favorite in World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW), overcame the ruthless tactics of Owen Hart in a highly emotional match. The bout, full of intense back-and-forth action, showcased both men's athleticism, with Von Erich ultimately securing the victory with his signature Iron Claw, bringing the crowd to its feet.

For Owen Hart, the loss marks the end of a much more successful, albeit short, second title reign which began in September. Known for his cocky attitude and willingness to bend the rules, Hart’s first reign had been met with mixed reactions. His in-ring abilities were undeniable, but the reign failed to connect with broader audiences. His ongoing feud with his brother Brett, however, led to tweaks to his character which have led to a much more successful second run with the belt, solidifying his place at the top of the NWA.

Kerry Von Erich’s victory is seen as a moment of redemption. After years of personal and professional struggles, Von Erich has now cemented his legacy as one of the top stars in the NWA, recapturing the top prize which has eluded him since 1984. This win is a significant milestone not only for Von Erich but for WCCW, which continues to rise in prominence. With Von Erich now holding the NWA’s top prize, the stage is set for WCCW to further assert its dominance heading into 1996.

A pretty big year in the timeline, with a significant NWA development and the unexpected return of a big name of yesteryear.

Another quick mod update note, @Dalton has graciously offered to help out with the mod as well, with a specific aim to bring some focus to the international areas that I had previously noted are out of my scope. He's already had some super useful additions which I think will make those regions equally interesting to play in.

Edited by diamondium
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, diamondium said:

A pretty big year in the timeline, with a significant NWA development and the unexpected return of a big name of yesteryear.

Another quick mod update note, @Dalton has graciously offered to help out with the mod as well, with a specific aim to bring some focus to the international areas that I had previously noted are out of my scope. He's already had some super useful additions which I think will make those regions equally interesting to play in.

Slight edit needed, you wrote Sherri is the wccw women's champion but the picture's alundra Blayze/madusa. Personally I prefer Madusa as the first champion sense I'm more familiar of Sherri as she was a manager.