Royal Rumble booking

Has it allready been decided what way a Royal Rumble (or Battle Royal for that matter) will be booked? I did not like in TEW05 that you could only select the winner and runner-up. I like to have full control over what's going on. I understand that there are people who find it a drag to book a complete Rumble and are put off by it. So I hope there will be a happy medium-solution. Same thing with Survivor Series-style elimination matches. I like to be able to tell who will be eliminated first, by who and how. Not just pick a winner and loser and see what the CPU does with it. Any thoughts?

Yeh, I think this is very much needed. You should at least be able to choose who will be the last 4 in a RR, but the option to choose who goes out and in what order is very much needed. Also the option of runins? I haven't done a RR properly as yet, but if you could choose run ins that would be cool, ie I seem to recall Lesnar came in and threw Goldberg out in 2004? Same for Elim matches is needed very much. Matches of this type should have special options set and a much higher amount of notes for the road agent.

To help with choosing all of that stuff, you can choose "Domination" and "Keep Strong". In real life bookers only say the first few out and the last few in if they choose more than the finish. For instance, friday night I worked a royal rumble style battle royal where the first 5 and last 5 were booked, but it got changed anyways. Then saturday night, i worked a battle royal where only the last 4 or 5 were supposed to be predetermined but I think that got messed up also because battle royals are just a big cluster ****.

Maybe you're referring to small indy feds, but I'm sure that WWE books all the eliminations in advance. That would be a really good feature, and would actually bring the game closer to micromanaging, which is what I think a lot of people want, at least to a point.

I do not think the WWE picks all 29 eliminations. They probably say... you are gonna look strong, you get tossed out immediately... you get eliminated when this person comes out and oh you last 3 well he wins so you guys come up with something good for the ending. Thats how I view the talks of a royal rumble booking. I think certain points are planned but they allow the workers to work it all out amongst themselves for most of it.

I'm inclined to agree with the majority on this one really. I'm pretty sure the WWE, or anyone else, doesn't plan every single elimination. Because accidents happen, and if you've planned every single elimination and something goes wrong (someone who's supposed to skin the cat slips and touches the floor, for example), all your plans have been screwed. I rather think that all the 'important' eliminations would be planned. The main even level guys for instance, and any eliminations based on fueds (Worker X is hell-bent on elimination Worker Y as soon as he enters the Rumble, for example), and the comedy spots are obviously planned (like Drew Carey eliminating himself when Kane entered, and the Nunzio thing last year). The run of the mill midcarders are probably just left to find their own way out though. It might be good to have the *option* to book individual eliminations by adding road agent notes (Elimination number 14: X eliminates Y. Elimination number 28: P eliminates Q), etc. Then choose an overall winner. So you could add as much or as little detail as you like. Having to book every single elimination in 2004 was, quite frankly, annoying as piss.

[QUOTE=D-Lyrium;136828]I'm inclined to agree with the majority on this one really. I'm pretty sure the WWE, or anyone else, doesn't plan every single elimination. Because accidents happen, and if you've planned every single elimination and something goes wrong (someone who's supposed to skin the cat slips and touches the floor, for example), all your plans have been screwed. I rather think that all the 'important' eliminations would be planned. The main even level guys for instance, and any eliminations based on fueds (Worker X is hell-bent on elimination Worker Y as soon as he enters the Rumble, for example), and the comedy spots are obviously planned (like Drew Carey eliminating himself when Kane entered, and the Nunzio thing last year). The run of the mill midcarders are probably just left to find their own way out though. It might be good to have the *option* to book individual eliminations by adding road agent notes (Elimination number 14: X eliminates Y. Elimination number 28: P eliminates Q), etc. Then choose an overall winner. So you could add as much or as little detail as you like. Having to book every single elimination in 2004 was, quite frankly, annoying as piss.[/QUOTE] I really like your idea. I personally would like the option to book every single elimination. And to be honest, I'm sure the WWF does book every single elimination in a royal rumble, at least somewhat. You have to remember, the rumble is a timed event. It's at the end of a show, so they only have a certain amount of time to make it happen. And if you don't give all the guys instructions on what to do, how long to stay in the ring, or who to get eliminated by, plans could be ruined. For example, if you didn't tell everyone when to exit, the rumble could run too long. If you didn't tell people who to be eliminated by, that could cause problems because the rumble is usually used to make someone look dominant. But how can he look dominant if guys aren't letting him eliminate them, or they are letting other people eliminate them because they don't have instructions? For those reasons, I'm sure every competitor is given at least basic instructions of how long to stay in the ring, when they are to be eliminated, and by who. So I personally would like the option to book every single entrance and elimination. But I realize that others wouldn't like this option. So I like the idea D-lyrium had of making it so that you could book as much or as little as you wanted. This would make guys like me happy, who wanted to book the whole thing, but also make guys happy who didn't want to. I would also like to see unchained storylines and/or created storylines being able to advance threw rumble/battle royal eliminations. It would be nice to start/advance a fued this way, because it happens every year in the royal rumble.

I think that is what referees/ringside officials are there for - to tell the workers when to go for what etc. They use all kinds of body language and will at times even talk to the wrestlers. Officials usually have earpieces where someone in the back in turn tells them about issues such as time running low etc. So imo only the last, say 5-6 eliminations should be booked ingame. *Edit* I agree on more control of elimination tags etc. As it is right now, I am avoiding them cause I would prefer to completely book all pinfalls in those kinds of matches.

Yes, the idea of being able to book as little or as much as you want is the perfect idea, those who want to arrange every elim can, those who want to only book the last 5 or so can do that. Harmor, yes I hate the fact that on elim matches you only get to choose the last 2, also you have to, I believe, go to a 1 on 1 situation in elim matches, what if you want one team to have 2 left after eliminationg all of the other team? atm you have to have a loser and a winner.

From everything I've heard and read, WWE does book the Rumble from top to bottom and all eliminations are planned and key moments are built to (like in the 92 one where everyone was eliminated to leave Flair alone with Piper). I'm sure mistakes happens and people go out in the wrong order, though. It would only make sense.

[QUOTE=Harmor;137051]I think that is what referees/ringside officials are there for - to tell the workers when to go for what etc. They use all kinds of body language and will at times even talk to the wrestlers. Officials usually have earpieces where someone in the back in turn tells them about issues such as time running low etc. So imo only the last, say 5-6 eliminations should be booked ingame. *Edit* I agree on more control of elimination tags etc. As it is right now, I am avoiding them cause I would prefer to completely book all pinfalls in those kinds of matches.[/QUOTE] I have heard that every moment is booked in a royal rumble. You have to realize, this is one of their biggest matches of the year. They have many things they try to accomplish through the rumble, like setting up fueds and making others look strong. I seriously doubt that they leave it up to chance whether these things happen or not by not planning the rumble out beforehand. By the way, while I am sure you are right about the ringside officials playing a role in helping wrestlers leave the ring, we don't have the option to tell ringside officials what to do. We aren't "there" live to tell them, so we need the option to do this beforehand. Besides, if you think about it, telling a ringside official during the match is pretty much the same thing gamewise of booking it beforehand. Either way, someone has to tell the wrestlers when to leave, and who to get eliminated by. Those instructions are sent out to the officials by the backstage guys, like Vince mcmahon. In the case of the game, these instructions would be given by the booker(us). And since we cant talk to the ringside officials live to tell them what to do, we need the ability to tell them what to do before the match. I do agree with you, though, that we need more control on elimination and multiple wrestler matches. Again, how people are eliminated, in what order, and by who is important to setting up future events and booking plans. [QUOTE=shipshirt;137116]From everything I've heard and read, WWE does book the Rumble from top to bottom and all eliminations are planned and key moments are built to (like in the 92 one where everyone was eliminated to leave Flair alone with Piper). I'm sure mistakes happens and people go out in the wrong order, though. It would only make sense.[/QUOTE] Like I said earlier in this post, I also have heard that all or the majority of the rumble is booked beforehand. It only makes sense to me, considering the things they set up during the match. And while I'm sure there are mistakes, I doubt there are many. We need to option to book the whole match.

I think it would be a fantastic addition to be able to choose eliminations, prehaps even run-in's. I would like to see an option where one can choose eliminations and order of entrences as well as being able to leave that up to the CPU instead.

[QUOTE=derek_b;139378]I hope I'm not the only person who remembers a lot complaining about having to do exactly this back in TEW04. Not that I minded too much, I just got a bit lost while trying to decide who was getting thrown when....... Derek B[/QUOTE] I had most fun with that part of the game. :) I guess you can never do good to all...

[QUOTE=Jacko00;140272]I dont think all Rumble eliminations can be booked, it would not be possible, most wrestlers improvise and decide amongst themselves.[/QUOTE] I believe we've already come to the conclusion that WWE does book just about the whole RR in one way or another. Why wouldn't it be possible is my question now? Each worker would be responsible for remembering who he eliminates (with timing probably being determined by entrances or other eliminations) and who he gets eliminated by, with some also having to know maybe a handful of spots. This is actually less than wrestlers usually have to remember for a PPV match, or sometimes even a highly-scripted TV match.

[QUOTE=Jacko00;140392]Mistakes happen and unless things have changed most matches in wrestling are improvised with just the ending planned out.[/QUOTE] The Royal rumble is not most matches. In most matches, it is one side against the other. While I think more planning goes into a lot of matches than you may think, planning isn't really required(if you don't want to) for most matches beyond the ending because it is one side vs. the other. Only those two sides will fight, with maybe a third party running in or interfering(which would be planned). The Royal rumble, on the other hand, has 30 wrestlers all for themselves, which means there are basically thirty sides. There is NO WAY anyone would send out thrity workers without a plan of action beyond just the finish, especially considering how important this pay per view and match are. The WWF often starts or continues fueds through the rumble. In order to do this, they would have to plan in advance. And in order to make sure the ending happens correctly and to make sure the proper fueds are started/continued, everyone involved in those things would have to have a plan beforehand. Also, everyone not involved in the ending or starting/contiuning a fued would also have to have a plan. If they didn't, they could mess booking plans up. For example, every year the WWF makes one person look very strong during the rumble by throwing out multiple workers. If this wasn't planned, then how would the other workers know that they should let this man throw them out, or when they should let him throw them out? Also, without planning the whole match, the person being made to look strong might throw out someone who was supposed to be involved in a spot later in the match. A great example of rumble planning would be about four years ago when one of the tough enough guys eliminated the Undertaker. This was obviously planned, because otherwise there is NO WAY the undertaker would have been eliminated by some kid from tough enough. This plan also had to be known by the other wrestlers so that they wouldn't try to throw out the tough enough kid, which would seem like a great target to get rid of. Obviously, planning goes into this event besides the ending. Also, with the fact that the Rumble happens at the end of the show, there is only a certain amount of time they have to finish it. Planning would be essential because wrestlers would have to know when it was time for them to go. Otherwise, it is very likely that wrestlers would stay in the ring for too long or not long enough, causing the show to run long or run too short. And there would be a lot of unhappy pay per view buyers if the rumble ran too long and they didn't get to see the ending. Do mistakes happen in the rumble? Of course, just like mistakes happen in any other match. But just because there is the possibility of someone making a mistake doesn't mean you don't plan the match, especially when the rumble is used as such a big event to further storylines.

[QUOTE=Jacko00;140392]Mistakes happen and unless things have changed most matches in wrestling are improvised with just the ending planned out.[/QUOTE] Actually, most matches have some moves planned out for the middle, like big aerial spots or other big moves. It also depends ont he wrestler. Randy Savage planned out his whole match with Ricky Steamboat at WM3, while I believe that Angle vs Benoit at RR03 was pretty much all improvised. So there ya go. Along with what was said to you above, I think that pretty much covers it.

Archived