Dojo's Discussion/questions

dont wanna hash up an old argument, but that is a slight advantage about using real world workers, when a new worker is generated i assign them a cornellverse pic, that way everybody gets a picture - i suppose you could do it t'other way round though if you had the inclination.

An interesting addition to the game world and anything to make those new workers a little less dull. I'm curious, with the newly generated characters, there was a guy called Ca$ino (I think) who always got created. Did they get generated in the same order or was it random and how many different names are there? Also, wasn't Adam Ryland a superstar whenever he got generated?

[QUOTE=panix04;143505]you can always use the editor and add some more of your own! EDIT: After re-reading the post, will a Dojos prestige alter with time or is it a static value?[/QUOTE] I got the idea that it is static.. 'cause they don't grow in size, or go out of business. I Don't know, only the God knows. And you know what God I mean. :D EDIT: TCP, that was good. :D

[QUOTE=FINisher;143511]I got the idea that it is static.. 'cause they don't grow in size, or go out of business. I Don't know, only the God knows. And you know what God I mean. :D[/QUOTE] Thanks FINisher. Unfortunately I'm a bit busy to answer, so I'll throw it over to Adam! :cool:

Oh yeah! Now to get started on my Dojo mod! 3 months is just enough time for me to research every conceivable wrestling school in the world though some of them should be pretty obvious (Killer Kowalski = A respect, Squared Circle = B-ish, The Dungeon = A*, The Funkin' Conservatory = A). This is going to be another area where mod creators can exercise creative license. Do you base a dojo's stature on the person who runs it or the quality of their graduates? If the former, I'm rating 'Onyx & LuFisto's Torture Chamber' an A*, if the latter, it's only probably a C or C-, bleh. Great twist on implementation, Adam!

[QUOTE=D-Lyrium;143533]I'd guess it'd be based on the quality of the talent produced. Being trained by a superstar doesn't automatically make you a superstar.[/QUOTE] But see, that's a chicken or egg situation. Like, do you say Rocky Johnson's school is A* because he was his son's first trainer (and Dwayne was doing wrestling training before he went to the U)? And how do you judge a 'superstar' exactly? Is it someone like Triple H, who is an average in-ring worker (which is what wrestling training concentrates on, yes?) but an excellent entertainer (which can't really be taught)? Or do you judge Killer Kowalski's school by folks like Perry Saturn, who, while good in the ring, aren't nearly as popular or entertaining? If the game doesn't define the judging criteria, it's going to be interesting to see how different folks decide to rate schools. After all, a wrestling school can only teach you how to conduct yourself in the ring. They can't teach you to be the next Austin or Rock or 'Taker. Shawn Michaels' Texas Wrestling Academy is generally very well regarded in terms of how they prepare you to be an everyday worker in most styles. But probably the biggest names they've produced have been London & Kendrick and Bryan Danielson. But, each of their 'name' graduates have been sound in the ring (okay, maybe not Tomko but you can't win 'em all). Mariko Yoshida has trained many of the world's top female workers (LuFisto, Cheerleader Melissa, Ayako Hamada, Ayumi Kurihara, etc) and almost literally has people beating down her door to train with her (she's the wrestling equivalent of Timbaland nowadays). But none of those women are 'superstars' in the WWE sense so does ARSION receive a lower rating as a result? Which came first, the "great" trainers or the "superstar" graduates?

I agree that a trainer can only do so much. If you're given a pile of crap, the best you can do is stop it smelling so bad, and all that. But don't forget that the best workers to come out of dojo's will only have C-, maybe C in most relevent stats (meaning ones that can realistically be trained). B- or a B in those they're really good at (the best I've ever gotten had a B in all technical stats). So it's not like the TWA is going to make someone into an overnight sensation whereas a lesser known trainer won't be able to. Just that, generally, TWA, Dory Funk, ARISON et al will churn out more students with great potential, as they're more prestigious dojo's. They can recognise the real quality, and polish it up into awesomeness. The rest will probably just be run-of-the-mill indy talent. The dojo's should be graded according to the talent they've produced, not the prestige of the trainers producing the talent. To represent Funk or Hart saying "You're crap, get outta my house" and keeping the ones with the potential. Instead of a lesser trainer persevering with the crappy worker and him later graduating as a no hoper. Of course, there's always the occasional Foley situation, where one dojo rejects a worker, only for him to go to another and become a star. The 'lesser' dojo's will still produce occasional star rookies. Just not as often as the better ones. Oh, and in answer to the question: The superstar graduates. Like I said, Heidenreich is Heidenreich. No matter who he trains with, or how much he trains, he won't ever be good. Just like if I spent five years training with Kowalski, Funk and Michaels, I'd still only be a passable wrestler at best, because I'm just not cut out to be a wrestler. Whereas someone else would only need a year or two of polish and they'd be ready to go pro. The real quality talent trains itself. The trainers are just there to polish them up and turn them into real gems. But most of all, the trainers are there to FIND the stars. Dont' forget that most dojo's also have a large hand in finding their workers work (this could be explained in TEW as being in promotions too small to be a part of the database. You don't think there are really hundreds of pro wrestlers who are completely unemployed, do ya? I always imagined there to be hundreds of feds that are simply too smalltime to bother including). So more prestigious dojo's would have more of a chance of recognising the potential superstars in the first place.

You're right. I'm just not so sure about the idea of schools or dojos being selective. Hell, I was asked if I would want to join Johnny Rodz's school based on what I had done (in football, baseball, and basketball), back when I worked out at Gleason's. Am I a wrestling talent? Hell no. I don't think performance in other sports necessarily makes you a natural at wrestling (though admittedly, taking hits helps tons). But I can imagine many schools taking on full classes of students and only having a handful actually complete their training. I hear that's pretty common, actually. Either way, I love this feature and hope it means generated workers will pop up more often (I get maybe 6 a year with New Worker Generation on 'High').

I hope there's an option of retraining people that would improve the existing workers' "trainable" stats like mat work, chain wrestling, submissions, basics etc And as far as naming good training facilities, dont forget Scott D'Amore's Scan-Am school, I'd say it gets a B+ to A looking at the guys that trained there (Petey, Sabin, Shelley, Rhino.......)

[QUOTE=Day_Dreamer;143644]Developmentals would be to increase stats like charisma, overness or mic skills which need a crowd to interact with rather than working with trainers in a warehouse.[/QUOTE] Actually, Torri's right. Next time you send a worker to your developmental promotion, look at the options given to you for 'focus'. Ring Work, Crowd Interaction, and Fitness. Personally, I don't send workers to developmental promotions for crowd interaction (I can do that myself, easily). I go for ring work since it's the most important thing to me. If you're talking in a real life sense, there isn't a whole heckuva lot a development promotion can do to develop a worker's mic skill, charisma, and acting ability. About the best they can do is help a worker feel more comfortable talking in front of people. But that's something any run of the mill public speaking course can teach.

Archived