Playstation 3 madness

Remianen

Okay, I dunno how things are shaking out across the pond, but here, the PS3's release has been insane. People camped outside of stores A WEEK in advance of the thing's release. So far, 2 people have been killed and over a dozen injured in various incidents. Like, if you're camped outside of Circuit City waiting for the system to come out, every thug or hood with two brain cells to rub together knows you have at least $500 (or access to it) on your person. Might as well just tape it to your forehead. I got my PS3 on release day from a friend at Sony BMG and she actually wrapped it in a black garbage bag AND had me put it in my backpack to take it out since there were hundreds of people camped outside Sony Tower and they expected things to get ugly once folks found out that Sony themselves only had two dozen units. Saddest part is, this isn't anywhere near as bad as it's going to get. More folks are going to die come November 24th ("Black Friday" in the States) since there are going to be TWO systems out (PS3 and Wii) as well as the customary $400 desktop PC and $300 laptop deals on that day. One of the Wal-Marts here is only expected to have 16 PS3 units on Black Friday, unless something miraculous happens. SIXTEEN! And in this particular mall, there's a Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Circuit City within 1500 feet of each other. Ouch! How are things going in the UK in this area?

well, us here Uk'ish folks have gotten the short end of the stick, the PS3 will not be available here until atleast March! Sony were apparantly having production problems and apparantly the UK was last on there priorites list! Oh well, the fact they pushed back the release date on there console again inspired me to get and X-box 360 instead, i guess it saved me a couple of hundred quid!

The ironic thing about that is, March is when their production problems are expected to be resolved. Which means they'll finally be able to meet the demand levels they're seeing.....NOW. You guys should get it at a reduced price since the demand level will be MUCH lower, I'm guessing. What's really funny is how Sony's brand manager for the PS3 made so many comments and took so many shots at Microsoft's handling of the 360's launch and then they run into the exact same thing. Oh, except for the fact that the 360 never overheated so badly that it melted ITSELF (PS3 did around E3, which forced them to hastily fix it which led to the production backup). But count yourselves lucky. I know Microsoft is. ;)

to be honest i was always a Sony man, but i bought an X-Box 'cos the new smackdown was supposed to be a whole lot prettier on the 360. That sounds like a pretty lame reason, it didn't help that i had just been to a live WWE event which was actually pretty good (despite lacking Kane, Big Show and Trish who had all been advertised!) so i was all excitable. In my defence my wife really shouldn't let me buy stuff when i'm in that sort of mood! Back to my original point though, i think if microsoft were to release a new system i might well be interested, the X-Box 360 is a very good system. Some of the graphics on it are stunning and the wireless control pads are brilliant. It definatly gets a thumbs up from me!

If Sony had any common sense then they'd have held back the release date around the world until March to avoid these problems. They've just rushed it out to make as much money over the Christmas period, money grabbing ***** that they are. (yes, i've edited that word out, fill in your own word) We wont get it at a reduced price. Due to the high price of consumer electrical goods in the UK, those people stupid enough to buy around the launch will end up paying more than than you lot in the US. :rolleyes: Here's an example for you: the average Xbox 360 game retails on average between £45 and £50 in stores, convert that into US dollars and that's about $85 to $95. That's how much we're screwed over in this country with that sort of thing. And that's just for games, imagine the price difference for a console.

Just had a quick look on Gamespot to see what the reviews were saying for the PS3 launch games. Oh dear oh dear: [url]http://uk.gamespot.com/reviews.html?type=reviews&platform=1028[/url] Despite it supposedly being a more powerful console than the Xbox 360, the games released on both have a higher score for the 360 version - Tony Hawk 8 and Call of Duty 3 in particular. Plus look at the average review score for all those games. Sony should be ashamed.

[QUOTE=Undertaker666;160925]If Sony had any common sense then they'd have held back the release date around the world until March to avoid these problems. They've just rushed it out to make as much money over the Christmas period, money grabbing ***** that they are. (yes, i've edited that word out, fill in your own word)[/QUOTE] Actually I have to defend Sony on this point. The console was supposed to come out in the summer. But due to the embarrassing overheating issues it had, they had to rejigger the thing. In sue-happy America, can you imagine the backlash if they had released the thing and people could fry eggs on it? That's where the delay came in. The manufacturing plants didn't get the specs for the 'fixed' version of the console in time to pump out 2 million plus units in time to meet the demand. Plus, the Blu-Ray integration was kinda shoddy (they went through 5 units before getting one that worked at this year's E3). $95 for a console game? I wish I would! There are certain games I'd pay that much for (TEW, for example, though I'm bound to be shouted down :p) but that's because of their playability (and REplayability). I've been known to spend money on things many people would class as "stupid (stuff)" (though not with regard to cars :p). But a console game that I'd finish inside of a week and not want to play anymore? hahahaha! I kinda collect consoles (have all of them from Intellivision to the PS3, except Colecovision which was stolen when I was 10) so I'll pick up the Wii as well. But I'm not putting up with the crap going on at stores. One advantage of shopping online. :)

I learnt my lesson from the launch of the PS2. [I](Cue wavey flashback effect)[/I] 10th November 2001, while everyone was clawing around the shops on launch day trying to get one, im still in bed. There is a knock at the door and its the delivery man with mine. 11am lovely thank you very much. 1 of about 50,000 in the country So i set it up and open the game i got with it (ridge racer 5 - it was that or DOA i think to choose from) played it for half hour and was bored of it. Over the next few months i wanted for a decent game to play on it. I was however comforted by the demo of Dynasty Warriors 2 that PSM had on the cover. You had 5 minutes to kill as many as possible on Huo Lao Gate. Me and some mates played it to death trying to top each others kill count and i think we got up to about 900. I think it wasn't until Zone of Enders came out that i had something decent to play. So thats why i waited 6 months to get a 360, so there was a catalogue of games to choose from (Oh and Oblivion of course) And thats why i can wait a while to get a PS3

But Sony have rushed the console, the lack of units currently available proves that. If you ask me, their summer release date was highly unlikely in the first place and was more of a "dont buy an Xbox 360 because ours will be out soon" tactic. Sony's boasting of what the console could do was also very much hype because as you mentioned, the Blu-Ray technology was kicking their ass. :D I too would pay lots of money for certain games if they had replayability value, but to be honest there aren't many console games out there that have that. It's only with the advent of online gaming which now adds to their replayability value, but then the single player aspect seems to overlooked at times and the games are becoming shorter and shorter. Bethesda's Morrowind and Oblivion are the only examples I can think of that give you hours upon hours of single player gameplay as they are HUGE games. PC games are a different matter as they're easier to modify and people come up with all sorts of add-ons and mods for games, TEW being an obvious example, but there's a huge amount of stuff out there for FPS and RTS games. I'm like you, a bit of a collector myself. I've got a NES, SNES, N64, Sega Megadrive (Genesis to you in the US), Gamecube, Xbox, Xbox 360 and even my trusty old Commodore 64. ;) I did once have a PS2 which died on me one month after the 12 month warranty was up, I will NEVER buy a Sony console again. I fail to see how my Commodore 64 from 1986/87 works still as good as the day I had it and yet the PS2 dies after just one year. I'll also say that i'm a Sega fanboy at heart (Megadrive/Genesis was my first console) and Sony was a major factor in them not producing consoles anymore. Therefore I hope the PS3 fails miserably (althout I know it wont :() and that the combined efforts of Microsoft and Nintendo kick Sony's ass. :D On a more rational note, I hope that the PS3 fails just to make Sony (and other companies) think twice about releasing stupidly high priced consoles and games in the future.

Yeah, people have been shot here in Denver. People have nearly lost their jaws. And the eBay prices are beyond insane. Honestly, I'm not even really sure why. The launch titles, for the most part, are pretty weak. That and it's the same thing all over again but with MORE GRAFFIX OMG. I just don't get it.

ill get a PS3 either this time next year, or in January 2008, i was planning on getting one at my birthday (April) but it would be pointless as really, the games i would want to play on it, are out now for the PS2, so i may aswell wait until Novemebr at the earliest next year because thats the gaming month for me, Pro Evo, Fifa and SmackDown! all out within the month.

Archived