Possibilities of Mythology

If a few interested and informed people were gathered together to create a mod that centers itself around mythology, (Greek, Roman, British, etc...) Then I think it would be enough to sustain itself as a mod on its own. I don't really have much expierience in creating mods, but this would be fun. I'd need some help creating it. I'm trying to see if there might be some interest in this type of mod. To give you a feeling of what I mean. Maybe a promotion for each branch of mythology. Greek(Greek God Wrestling).

I love mythology and this could be a great mod but it should be expanded I'd love to see Native American gods a mythological figures, Japanese, Hindu, Russian, Arabian and African. I'm sure I have quite a few books on all of these (as well as some european) not sure about making the mod itself but I can defiantely give a lot of input on who should be in the mod if it gets off the ground.

Yeah, I like that idea myself as well. There is really quite a bit of it out there. You can add in the mythological beasts and hero's as well (Jason and the Argonauts, etc.). There is definately alot of Native American mytho's as well, such as Coyote, Hiawatha, etc. but most of it's kind of spiritual.... sort of using animal type spirits rather then gods. They can be converted pretty easily I would think though. Actually, if anyone has old DnD or AD&D books, they have already converted them into roleplayable "Avator's", with stats and everything, so should be able to utilize that as reference for alot of the different stats. Things like Charisma, Power, and fighting styles (Ranger/Warrior/Wizzy) could be converted into wrestling styles I suppose, as well. Almost forgot... Camelot could even fit into it.

Im a huge fan of Ancient history and have studied it at various levels. Throughout my studies I have covered much mythology and love reading about the stuff. If someone sets this up properly with guidelines as to how we should do stats (we are talking about Gods here) then I would love to get involved.

[QUOTE=meripu1;176565]Im a huge fan of Ancient history and have studied it at various levels. Throughout my studies I have covered much mythology and love reading about the stuff. If someone sets this up properly with guidelines as to how we should do stats (we are talking about Gods here) then I would love to get involved.[/QUOTE] There are ways they are set up, that you could do this... Just a couple of example's.... Each pantheon ussually has an overall diety that is over the rest of the gods (Odin, Zeus, Jupiter) as well as a breakdown of power... Greater, Lesser, Demi-Gods. SO you could set up popularity on those lines.... since most the gods (outside of the more nature types similar to Native American culture's) rely on worshippers to keep them in power (not unlike a wrestler relies on fan's, where a promotion would be like a pantheon). SO probably the greater gods would have popularity of somewhere from 76 to 100 popularity (Starting with the supreme being of that pantheon as 100 in their area of influence), and Lesser gods with around a 51 to 75 popularity, and finally the demigods being anywhere from 24 to 50, as well as the biggest of hero's (such as King Arthur, Gilgamesh, Jason (and the argonauts)... Then to round it off, the one's from 1 to 25 should be the lesser hero's, such as Bellerophon (Greek Rangertype fellow, pretty kewl dude if you don't know him). There is alot of different information around for these things, not hard to find. If I wasn't working on a couple other things right now I would be willing to help this out, but I think I have my hands full right now. EDIT NOTE: Unlike the Superhero's I'm working on, most of these gods had Avator's that were not so godlike in power, Zeus was known to walk around as a normal middle aged man, with the exception that he was very strong, and had magical powers over different area's... His Avator could be destroyed, making him have to create a new one. Some were known to have many Avator's at once, in many different area's, but that wouldn't play to well in this game, so one is enough, lol. I brought this up (through edit) to give an idea of how to keep them active (through the new worker area), by creating one in the regular worker area, then having multiple one's in the New Worker area to come into the game at various times... Greater Gods should have around 10 or so, Lesser around 5, and Demi-Gods would span maybe two at most, since they are not ussually the avator, but themselves... However their avator's being unlocked would/should coincide with their first one being too old to continue the game, where-as the other's could indeed enter the game every 20 years or so... Example: Greater God, have an avator appear every 10 years. Lesser God, have an avator appear every 20 years. Demi God, ONE Avator every 70 to 100 years. Half Gods with no Avator, none, same with Hero's. This would simulate their longevity, and would make a pretty interesting game as time moves on, you could actually simulate the gradual phasing of one generation to another, with the addition of New Pantheons(Promotions) and New God's entering the scene.. Roman's taking off from the Greek, etc.... I have to quit typing now, as too many idea's are coming to mind......

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;176586]There are ways they are set up, that you could do this... Just a couple of example's.... Each pantheon ussually has an overall diety that is over the rest of the gods (Odin, Zeus, Jupiter) as well as a breakdown of power... Greater, Lesser, Demi-Gods. SO you could set up popularity on those lines.... since most the gods (outside of the more nature types similar to Native American culture's) rely on worshippers to keep them in power (not unlike a wrestler relies on fan's, where a promotion would be like a pantheon). SO probably the greater gods would have popularity of somewhere from 76 to 100 popularity (Starting with the supreme being of that pantheon as 100 in their area of influence), and Lesser gods with around a 51 to 75 popularity, and finally the demigods being anywhere from 24 to 50, as well as the biggest of hero's (such as King Arthur, Gilgamesh, Jason (and the argonauts)... Then to round it off, the one's from 1 to 25 should be the lesser hero's, such as Bellerophon (Greek Rangertype fellow, pretty kewl dude if you don't know him). There is alot of different information around for these things, not hard to find. If I wasn't working on a couple other things right now I would be willing to help this out, but I think I have my hands full right now.[/QUOTE] Would they only have overness in their areas though? Ie, Roman and Greek Gods only over in Europe. Or would they be massively over in Europe and then there overness dropping increasingly as you get further away?

[QUOTE=meripu1;176601]Would they only have overness in their areas though? Ie, Roman and Greek Gods only over in Europe. Or would they be massively over in Europe and then there overness dropping increasingly as you get further away?[/QUOTE] Only in there area's of influence!! The AI will do the rest (it always seems to give you something in the other area's close to you). And some of them did indeed split up. For example, if you were to use the Roman and Greek gods at the same time, as the Roman one's started to appear, the Greeks would lose their power (popularity) as time goes on. Eventually leaving only the Roman gods in power (although they really are mostly the same gods with minor difference's). Far as popularity difference's, you could add in another category. Greater, INTERMEDIATE (the added one), Lesser, Demi.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;177502]Only in there area's of influence!! The AI will do the rest (it always seems to give you something in the other area's close to you). And some of them did indeed split up. For example, if you were to use the Roman and Greek gods at the same time, as the Roman one's started to appear, the Greeks would lose their power (popularity) as time goes on. Eventually leaving only the Roman gods in power (although they really are mostly the same gods with minor difference's). Far as popularity difference's, you could add in another category. Greater, INTERMEDIATE (the added one), Lesser, Demi.[/QUOTE] Lets not also forget that the Romans basically stole any God that they felt they could use to their advantage.

Someone may have already mentioned it, but wikipedia appears to be a great source for many different mythological areas: Greek: [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_gods"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_gods[/URL] Roman: [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_gods"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_gods[/URL] Norse: [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse_mythology"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse_mythology[/URL] Egyptian: [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_mythology"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_mythology[/URL] I'm sure there are many more, but these were found with a very quick glance

Archived