Beckham Moves To LA Galaxy

hurricanendp

[QUOTE=BBC Sport][SIZE=3][B][U]Beckham agrees to LA Galaxy move [/U][/B][/SIZE] David Beckham will leave Real Madrid and join Major League Soccer side LA Galaxy at the end of the season. The 31-year-old former England captain will sign a five-year deal, reportedly worth £128m. Beckham said: "This week Real asked me to make a decision regarding their offer to extend my contract. "After considering several options to stay in Madrid or join other major British and European teams, I have decided to join LA Galaxy." In a statement, Beckham continued: "I would like to thank the supporters and people of Madrid who have made my family and I feel so welcome in my time here, making this an extremely difficult decision to make. "I have enjoyed my time in Spain enormously and I am extremely grateful to the club for giving me the opportunity to play for such a great team and their amazing fans. "I am proud to have played for two of the biggest clubs in football and I look forward to the new challenge of growing the world's most popular game in a country that is as passionate about its sport as my own. "For the rest of this season I will continue to give 100% to my coach, team-mates and fans as I believe manager Fabio Capello will bring this club and its supporters the success they truly deserve." Real Madrid confirmed Beckham's departure in a statement, saying: "Both parties have agreed that Beckham will not extend his current contract, which ends on 30 June 2007." Beckham left Manchester United in July 2003 to sign for Real, who paid £25m for the midfielder's services. However, in the three-and-a-half seasons since his arrival, the Spanish giants have failed to win any major trophies. This season has proved particularly disappointing for Beckham, who was dropped by England coach Steve McClaren and then fell out of favour with Real boss Capello. LA Galaxy admitted their interest in signing Beckham in November, when general manager Alexi Lalas told the BBC Sport website of his admiration for the former England captain. In an exclusive interview, Lalas said: "The Los Angeles Galaxy are looked upon as the jewel of Major League Soccer. "We play in the best stadium, we have had incredible success over the history of the league, we have had great individual players and great teams. There's a tradition of excellence. "All of this leads to this race to become the first MLS super club, if you will. "It is something we aspire to and in order to do that you have to have quality players, a direction and a passion, a good coach and you have to get credibility domestically and internationally. "Signing players of Beckham's stature would be a wonderful step in the right direction not just for the Galaxy but for soccer in America." Beckham is the biggest name to sign up for Major League Soccer since its inception in 1996 and the most famous player to play club football in the US since Pele, Franz Beckenbauer and Johan Cruyff competed in the North American Soccer League in the 1970s and early '80s. LA Galaxy are owned by sports and entertainment giants AEG, who are also partners in Beckham's soccer academy in Los Angeles. AEG president Timothy J. Leiweke said: "David Beckham will have a greater impact on soccer in America than any athlete has ever had on a sport globally. "David is truly the only individual that can build the 'bridge' between soccer in America and the rest of the world." [/QUOTE] Credit: [URL=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6248835.stm]BBC Sport[/URL] This is, put bluntly, ridiculous, not that he's moved, i couldnt give a flying fcuk if he played in Spain, France, England, America or on the moon, because i don't rate him, never have, and never will. No, what i find ridiculous is his wages! £128,000,000 over 5 years, so thats £25,600,000 a year, so that is £492,308 a week! What's better is, he's on £70,137 a day, that's more than most League 2 players make in a year put together! Money in football has become atrocious! No offense to Beckham, but he doesn't deserve anywhere near that for kicking a damn ball! Nor does anyone for that matter. Anyways, rant over, what do you guys make of the transfer?

Football wages are beyond a joke. He's probably moving there more for promotional purposes than professional. I guess maybe he (or should that be she, since she makes the decisions?) figures he can then attack the talk show circuit and expand their already bloated bank balance. He's a brand now, not a footballer.

who cares? Beckham is in the US to do promotional spots for himself and make even more money. Will it help the image of US soccer- NO I even did the whole soccer as a kid thing for seven years and I will take the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, I will even take tennis before soccer.

[QUOTE=mystic;182813]who cares? Beckham is in the US to do promotional spots for himself and make even more money. [B]Will it help the image of US soccer- NO[/B] I even did the whole soccer as a kid thing for seven years and I will take the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, I will even take tennis before soccer.[/QUOTE] Well given the huge amount of money that he is being paid, then clearly the owners of LA Galaxy (and presumably the management of the MLS itself) feel that his presence WILL help the image of US soccer, and in several interviews today here in England with the "stars" of the US national team, they feel that it probably will be good for the game in America. The other point I suppose, is that with someone of his fame coming to the MLS and getting paid that ridiculous sum, will possibly persuade more youngsters that football is a potentially lucrative career instead of one of your more traditional sports. (baseball / basketball / hockey) I guess only time will tell.

I love this signing, I love the MLS and I love David Beckham. I too will take NHL, NFL, NBA AND MLB over Soccer. But a sport where there are no commericals for 45 minutes? Its ****ing great. I just hope that he helps the MLS get a better tv deal. Beckham and Donovan are going to be a good one - two punch. Nate Jacqua is always on LA now, that team is going to be tough to beat. I just hope Red Bull New York can sign a player or two so that we can bring home the championship.

[QUOTE=The Gaz;182829]Please let there not be another US sports vs rest of world sports argument please ;).[/QUOTE] Yes that argument is very very tired. In an effort to curtail that, I'll take the opposite opinion of mystic. I'm not so sure that Beckham won't bring in new fans for MLS. I imagine him and his wife are going to hit the talk show circuit hard, and all that is just more publicity for MLS. More importantly it gives MLS a face, a type of ambassador for their sport and for secondary sports in the US this is sorely needed. Examples....Golf has Tiger Woods; Tennis had Agassi, Sampras, Roddick (for a bit), Serena Williams; etc. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about attendence spiking up for MLS over the next two years, and I'm almost certain when the Galaxy comes into town, teams will have a gauranteed sellout. He may be losing a step, but, Beckham is by far the most recognizable soccer (football:D) player in the US, so much so that even people with absolutely no interest in the sport will at least know his name (ie...myself, mystic, most everyone else I know haha). The only others that come close are Renaldo, Landon Donavon (who was supposed to be the face of MLS, but failed), and Freddy Adeu; but it's not even a close second. And even more importantly there is the chance that more players from the English Premier League will consider a move to the US (albeit, most likely older players), which would help to improve their product and legitimize the league in the eyes of soccer (football :D ) fans.

I think this is the most negative move he could have possibly made. Unlike hurricanedp, im a big fan of Beckham. I think he should still be playing down the right for England rather than playing centre mids out of position there. But this move just reaks of moving fr the glitz and money, god Beck's stand up to posh once in a while will ya? Out of sight is out of mind and clearly he has given up on playing for England again, lets be honest despit his poor form he could easily command a place in the Liverpool and spurs side, if he played a dozen first team games and regained a bit of form it would really turn up the heat on McClaren, but instead he is moving to a country were football isn't even there 3rd sport. The american correspondant said that the MLS top teams are about on par with Fulham, why the hell didn't he just sign for frigging Fulham. I know he has dis-appointed in a 3 lions jersey for a couple of years but im not the type to forget that goal against greece, or how for 18 months Beckham carried England to victory after victory. I just think its sad he is more interested in making more money rather than re-igniting his England career.

I don't claim to know much about soccer, but there is one reason I can think of (other than outragous amounts of money) that Beckham signed for LA. The talent in the MLS isn't what we like to call very good, and Beckham can be a very big fish in a very small pond that is the MLS. And of course the fact that his wife probably grabbed him by the boys and forced him to do it so she can live in Hollywood.

The people who own Los Angeles Galaxy actually are part-owners of David Beckham's Soccer Academy anyway. I think the cash he earns will be put towards more academies so he can live off the profits without worry, and keep his name in the football world. He'll end up the richest footballer ever by the time he retires.

Didn't care about MLS before this. Don't care about it now. MILS, on the other hand (go Kixx!) lol. Seriously though, it's jst a publicity move. Next the Red Bulls (thanx wikipedia) will sign Ronaldo or some other famous futbol player to get noticed. Also, from what I heard on ESPN news part of Beckham's contract is from endorsments. I don't know how much of the $250 MILLION is endorsements, but figure Tiger Woods made like 10 million golfing and had an overall income of almost 99 Million (meaning he made 89 Million in endorsements). Beckham is an international star in an international game, so he stands to make quite a bit now that he is playing in a major US market (similar to the rumors of LeBron James getting a raise if he leaves cleaveland to play in NY).

Archived