Misc Expenses...again....

Ok, so I JUST went up to Cult level. I think I'm doing great, but my first month as a cult promotion, my "misc expenses" go from $1000 to $71000! This is insane. I know, I know, it's been explained that these are "general" expenses that come with growing in size, but this is crippling, and unlike other kinds of expenses, this can't really be helped, can it?

I seem to remember, in the dim mists of time, that Adam mentioned that the finances had been tweaked to deliberately have this effect. I believe it is intended to hamstring a player's otherwise sereene progress towards hitting National. In real life it (apparently) not so difficult to get to the equivilient of Cult, but making that final jump is supposed to be a financial mare. I like the challenge that it presents.

awesome, i have not reall taken a game that far just yet, but i love the idea of some real challenges! Bring 'em on i say! I hope that tough tasks dont get taken out just because a few people complain they are 'gamebreaking' there is nothing more annoying then playing a game thats too easy imho, i know some people like that though, its a shame there isnt 2 modes to TEW an easy mode and a hard mode!

[QUOTE=panix04;194249]awesome, i have not reall taken a game that far just yet, but i love the idea of some real challenges! Bring 'em on i say! I hope that tough tasks dont get taken out just because a few people complain they are 'gamebreaking' there is nothing more annoying then playing a game thats too easy imho, i know some people like that though, its a shame there isnt 2 modes to TEW an easy mode and a hard mode![/QUOTE] I'm not simply complaining for the sake of complaining, and I really do enjoy the game (and I like a challenge too...I started with a local promotion of my own and have built it up, which was very hard), I just hate stuff that can't really be explained. Yes, I know WHAT misc expenses, but stuff that happens that's completely out of your control isn't challenging, it's frustrating.

[QUOTE=Zombieboy;194273]Yes, I know WHAT misc expenses, but stuff that happens that's completely out of your control isn't challenging, it's frustrating.[/QUOTE] That's an 'eye of the beholder' situation much like 'beauty' or 'sexy'. MOST things that happen in TEW are completely out of your control. If they weren't, the game would be boring and painfully easy. From what I understand, the 'misc expenses' were added to reinforce the game's challenge in a uniform fashion. Without them, your promotion could potentially be in a situation where you're practically printing money but have nothing or no one to spend it on. Those expenses give you an idea of how much you should be making to "cover the spread" at your current size. If it's a hardship for you, streamline your operations. We all have preferences that often mean spending more than necessary or whatever. I happen to love big rosters, which I know are counterintuitive to pinching pennies. Some folks may like carrying 3 people for an announce team. Others like having a full fledged tag team division and so on. Look at it this way. The hardships you experience breaking into Cult are just to make sure you pay your dues so you can fully appreciate the godly feeling that comes about when you hit National (and start locking up talent left and right).

Agreed. Writing a diary for my game means I feel compelled to put on decent shows - but it's financially tough. While I've pared things down to the point where I'm 'only' losing around $700-1000 a show, that's still a deficit that'll eventually see me going bankrupt. I'm just counting on hitting Regional first *crosses fingers* And I'm one who loves a tag division - but I've had to cut it down to one match per show to try and save costs, alas.

Ok, my MISC expenses just went to $94 000...could it be that when I turned CULT I was able to get a PPV deal? Would that increase my MISC expenses that much? Because I'll cancel the deal for the moment if that's what's causing the gigantic increase, but I don't want to cancel it for nothing...

[QUOTE=Zombieboy;194838]Ok, my MISC expenses just went to $94 000...could it be that when I turned CULT I was able to get a PPV deal? Would that increase my MISC expenses that much? Because I'll cancel the deal for the moment if that's what's causing the gigantic increase, but I don't want to cancel it for nothing...[/QUOTE] Go to your TEW folder, into TEW2007/Data/[YourDatabaseName]/SaveGames, copy your saved game to your desktop, and then open up TEW and cancel the PPV in your game. If it solves the issue, then that's obviously the problem (would be handy to know. I think I remember another guy posting about this ages ago (Anubis? Probably...), and I'm pretty sure he'd just got a PPV when it skyrocketed too). If it doesn't, just overwrite the saved game with the one on your desktop.

[QUOTE=D-Lyrium;194928]Go to your TEW folder, into TEW2007/Data/[YourDatabaseName]/SaveGames, copy your saved game to your desktop, and then open up TEW and cancel the PPV in your game. If it solves the issue, then that's obviously the problem (would be handy to know. I think I remember another guy posting about this ages ago (Anubis? Probably...), and I'm pretty sure he'd just got a PPV when it skyrocketed too). If it doesn't, just overwrite the saved game with the one on your desktop.[/QUOTE] I hadn't mentioned it before (not that I know of), but I just got nailed with it a moment ago, and I can't figure it out! $1000 to $192K just from going to Cult? Challenge is cool, but I would so [i]love[/i] for these numbers to actually be [i]explained[/i] in some way, so I can figure out what the bleedin' heck is costing me all my dang profits.

You want an explanation? I'll try and come up with something. ... err... Hitting Cult is quite a big step for most companies. They go from being a 'nobody' promotion to a generally known one (since Cult in UK or Europe for example is practically national already, same for mexico). In this 'upgrade' I suppose they need to have a lot of stuff they need to buy once for usage in the shows. Pyro material or something. I think it's a one-shot deal, really. I hit cult once, at the end of the month, and it nearly killled me. Bang! -80000 in one month, and I was down -30000. This really sucks since you can't make any money anymore whatsoever, since you can't even rent a venue that contains more than 1000 seats. So basically you're screwed. It's quite a drastic change imo, but once you survive the first 3/4 months, you'll be making profit in no time. :)

Ok, so my MISC expenses are now at about 110 K and I'm way in the red...As Anubis said, I'd have absolutely no problem with them if there was some logic behind it, but going from 1000 to 100 000 over the span of a month is ridiculous... I've cut workers, cut show expenses, cut merchandise expenses, yet MISC is just crippling me. Any help from those who have survived CULT?

i jumped to cult and got hit with a ton of misc spending, but at the time i was pulling in some nice cash. when i got on ppv, the costs still went up, but i was a C or C+ in the mid atlantic (now B-), so i was able to fill a 15,000 seat venue, and i make about $300,000 pure profit for each ppv show. also, i have three tv shows, and each one of those is always a sell out, or about 4,300 seats in a C- area, so i still churn out a profit for each tv show, at least $10,000, even in a less popular area with my highest priced talent. plus, your sponsorships soar too, i'm getting $300,000+ a month from them, which nearly offsets all of my misc costs....so i'm actually making about $350,000 - $500,000 a month in profits.....i'm maw with $2.5 million in the bank just working to get to national.

[QUOTE=thug saint oga;196252]i jumped to cult and got hit with a ton of misc spending, but at the time i was pulling in some nice cash. when i got on ppv, the costs still went up, but i was a C or C+ in the mid atlantic (now B-), so i was able to fill a 15,000 seat venue, and i make about $300,000 pure profit for each ppv show. also, i have three tv shows, and each one of those is always a sell out, or about 4,300 seats in a C- area, so i still churn out a profit for each tv show, at least $10,000, even in a less popular area with my highest priced talent. plus, your sponsorships soar too, i'm getting $300,000+ a month from them, which nearly offsets all of my misc costs....so i'm actually making about $350,000 - $500,000 a month in profits.....i'm maw with $2.5 million in the bank just working to get to national.[/QUOTE] That's been largely my experience as well. I think a big problem many people have is expecting their finances to work themselves out. Sure, that works when you're tiny but Cult is when the wheat gets separated from the chaff. I micromanage my promotion to the nth degree so I'm constantly changing ticket prices, working financial angles, as well as booking shows so I maximize my profit margin on a weekly basis. At least 4 times a year, I get an internet message where some fans complain about my ticket prices being a ripoff (usually when the economy and/or industry go down one level). So what, I reduce ticket prices in the affected popularity area. But I still have the money from those 'ripoffs'. I try to avoid the ghetto areas and run my shows in the places with the most affluence (as well as communities). All of this can go into making a promotion financially viable. So, in my view, if you want to leave your promotion's finances on auto-pilot, feel free. Just be ready to bleed.

I've tried and tried to manage my finances; I maximized my efficiency with my shows, cut workers that weren't living up to their contracts, and pulled the best ratings I could... all to be destroyed by $110 000 in mysterious Miscellaneous Expenses. My company is bankrupt, and it's nonsense. I'm up for a challenge, but when there's something like that that's completely out of your control, it's just ridiculous.

Wait..... you're at cult and you're only selling out 1,000 seater venues? That is your problem right there. Very low attendance at events, lack of income rather than overly high expenses. As a small regional promotion (about 30 over in my region) I'm drawing crowd of 1,000 already and as a differently styled cult promotion at D+ I'm selling out 2,000 seats for my TV show and about 8,000-10,000 for my monthly events. So if you aren't making enough money to cover your expenses there are a number of possible reasons. 1. Promotion product. If there aren't any fans to watch your style of wrestling, you won't draw fans. 2. Population. If you are in an area that doesn't have fans you won't get any. 3. Affluence. People can't spend money if they don't have it. 4. Bad booking. Strong advanced booking brings more people to your shows and to their TV screens. If you only advertise "bad" matches then people just won't care enough. 5.Wrestling industry/economy. If these are low then you're never going to get many people to shows or much money spent on them. To me it seems like you're struggling with most of these. You need to pander to the right fans by tailoring your product to appeal to them. You need to be realistic with who you hire too. If you have millions of high paid stars then you are obviously going to lose money too. Even with your misc expenses being there it doesn't seem like you're doing terribly well if your attendance is so low. Cult isn't easy, it isn't supposed to be but its managable. Getting to national without having people stealing your stars, thats the hard part. Derek B

Archived