The Rise of a Phoenix

Saturday - Week 3 - August 1983 Ah... great to be back home again... or so I thought. I was on the Television again. This time teaming with Lizmark-san against the team of my to nemesis' in UWF: Pierre Lefebvre and Ken Shamrock. I had a chance to talk to Lizmark-san before the match and he thought it would be good. He was looking forward to teaming with me. Wow. It seems I am starting to get a reputation. I made a promise to myself, to ensure it was going to be a good one. Lizmark-san started in the ring, against Lefebvre. He had his troubles getting to grips with him, until he managed to hit, what I believe he called a "Pescado" when I asked him after the match. It was very impressive. He wore him down with some holds, and tried to get him to tap with the arm scissors, but when that failed, he went to tag me in. But Lefebvre got up, jumped him from behind and managed to tag in Shamrock. Shamrock was easily a match for Lizmark-san on the mat, so Lizmark had to up the ante and start the fighting. Forearms, european uppercuts and dropkicks wore down Shamrock until Lizmark-san took him over with a gutwrench suplex but then missed the kneedrop. Shamrock immediately took the opening and went to work on Lizmark san with a variety of submission holds. Lizmark san, managed to escape an armbar, hit a back suplex and tag me in. I decided I was going to up it even further, so instead of going in through the ropes, I went from the apron, directly to the top rope and tried for a flying standing elbow smash. Shamrock managed to move out of the way, however. Shamrock started to tear me apart with holds as well, until I got a kick in on him and then hit a DDT. I went to the top again, but Shamrock crotched me on it, and tagged in Lefebvre. He attempted a roll-up, but I shifted my weight and just kneeled down on him instead, almost pinning him, and taking control of the match. We fought back and forth, until I ducked a brass knuckle punch from him, put him down with a bodyslam and went up top again. I jumped off tring for the elbow again, but he caught me with a dropkick on the way down and quickly tagged in Shamrock. I was hurting bad and knew I had to make the tag soon. It was to no avail, however, as he took me down with a couple of amateur throws, then locked my arms across my neck from behind and choked me out. I was out at the 20 minute mark in what had really been far from a spectacular match (D) So that makes 2 television losses this week and a pretty bland performance in this one, at that... I felt most of all, like just going home and sulking, when I left the arena. I was terribly disappointed in myself. But I've thought it over on the way home... and there is only one solution. Tomorrow I train. Monday, I train. I have to train harder, work harder. I will make it in this business, no matter what it takes. No more seeing old class-mates, no more strolls on the beach in the evenings. From now on, I will dedicate myself completely to this, until I prove myself and get into a bigger company! Eiji Ezaki

Status after week 3 (after the first 4 weeks, this status will become monthly instead): Overness: Canada: 5 Japan: 3 Spirit: 20 Power: 33 Technique: 49 Speed: 51 Psychology: 55 Stamina: 39 Roughness: 61 Charisma: 34 Microphone: 30 Safety: 23 Looks: 69 Respect: 5 10 Wins 5 Losses Relationsships: Hiroshi Hase (Friend)

Tuesday - Week 4 - August 1983 I turned up at the venue... I was really fired up... after the failure this saturday I really felt I had something to prove... Imagine my feelings when I found I was booked in a single's match against Pierre Lefebvre again... He was going to feel all the fire that I had built up over the last two days of training and re-watching my past few matches. When I got backstage I just stuck to myself, psyching myself up, and then walked straight out through the locker-room when it was time for my match. Lizmark-san tried to say hi, but I was too pent-up at the time to answer. Looking back, I really hope he did not take offense. On the way out one of the stage hands told me there was going to be a 45-minute time limit on the match. I sneered. I guess they don't want another hour-long beating. Nevermind... I was going to make this short and brutal. Like a samurai, decapitating a captured enemy to reclaim his honor... I really started laying into him, as he hardly got in any offense while I was pounding him with dropkicks, european uppercuts and working over his knees when he was down. I hit the first German Suplex at the 4 minute mark, so that should tell you how quickly I was decimating him. Although he managed to kick out. I pinned him after the Leaping High Kick in 9 minutes after having lain into him with everything I had. He hardly managed to touch me at all. I stood up after the bell rung... I did not feel satisfied at all... I still felt like I needed to take this out on someone... then I looked around... it was like a veil was lifted from my eyes... some of the crowd were actually cheering my name. I guess I somehow reached them, with the intensity I went in with... because they reacted a lot stronger than I would have expected them to, for such a short and inconsequential match (C) As I went home, I made a mental note to study some more striking techniques with Sensee as I found myself lacking those in the early goings... some kicks perhaps? Ah well... the flight is in Canada soon. I wonder what they will have for me tomorrow... Eiji Ezaki

Wednesday - Week 4 - August 1983 Well, I'm on my way out the door to head to the arena, just though I would put this down. When I arrived last night, I got a phone call from Stu-san. He told me to come see him this morning. Which I did, of course. He talked to me, again, about getting more known with the fans, as he said I might have some potential. He offered me to work a series of matches against an opponent, build up a rivalry as a way of getting the crowd into it. I was, naturally, very honored by his faith, and took his suggestion to heart. He asked whom I would like to feud against, and it slipped out my mouth before I could think.. "Maeda-san"... Stu laughed... He explained that Maeda-san was seen as one of the top fighters in the company. I was still new and inproven. He believed a feud between him and I might be good, but he thought I should be more popular with the crowd first. He instead suggested Kung Fu-san whom he felt I had been doing well in the ring with... so I naturally agreed, and now I'm set to be in my first feud against Kung Fu... I think it will be a good chance to prove myself. I am still thinking on the advice from last week, about somehow being more memorable. I am not sure what I should do about it... but I definately think the fire and intensity I went out to the ring with last week, was doing something good for me. I will try to show this fighting spirit every match now, and also maybe try and get the crowd more into the match by appealing to them. For now, we shall see who my opponent is tonight... maybe Kung Fu...? Eiji Ezaki

Update Changed the moves around a little removed the piledriver and added the "Junior Piledriver" which is a scaled down version of the Inverted Piledriver to represent the one the Japanese Junior Heavyweights used all the time (power requirement down to 35, slightly higher technical req, and some speed req as well... only 20% success and frequency up to 50% as those crazy Juniors were kicking out of that thing all the time. Tuned it down to a high-level move as well) Also added Arm Scissor takedown and Arm Scissor arm bar, as well as the Fisherman's buster. Also a normal moonsault, until he grows into his picture perfect moonsault. Also added his first taunt "Incite Crowd" all in all almost half of Eiji Ezaki's moves are stille beyond his scope to peform, but he will grow into them in the next couple of years I think. So that's great. Now... I've seen the "poll" thing done in other dynasties, and I liked it, so here's the first of mine. (Plus I'll get a chance to see if anyone actually READS this) Eiji Ezaki desperately needs a gimmick to help him get over... both in Japan and Canada... which gimmicks should he take, and where: a) Daredevil (will do more high-flying, more risktaking and more dives) b) Fighter/Intense (will be more about the MA strikes, the submissions and pure intensity) c) Mad Man (broken tables, chairs... going in a more brawling direction) d) Extreme (a and c combined) e) all-round pro (excel by simply being "the best in the game" at all parts) This poll will be active until I say it is no longer active. Remember to vote for japan and canada seperately if you think he should be doing different styles each place. The Japanese promotion (Universal Pro Wrestling) is "pure" in style and here I am a Babyface Opener. Stampede in Canada is Cutting Edge. And here I am a babyface Lower Midcarder.

Follow-up poll ok, the original poll is closed.... in japan it's going to be all about the strikes, the submissions and the pure intensity... Canada is tied... so here's the tie-breaker: a) Like in japan, mostly submissions and martial arts strikes.. with a little flying for good measure b) lots of strikes, back on the submissions a bit... heavy risktaking with the high-flying, and plenty of use of chairs, tables and everything else when given the chance get some votes in quick, because I'm feeling an urge to get on with this career :)

Wednesday - Week 4 - August 1983 So I turned up at the arena and found my opponent to be was The Cobra. I was sort of hoping for Kung Fu, to get this feud off the ground, but maybe Stu-san has other plans.. Backstage I had a few words with another young wrestler there, Chris Benoit. He didn't really come off as anything special, but he's a nice guy. For the match I had decided, that since Stu wanted the crowd more entertained, I would make sure they were. The crowd wanted excitement, so that's what I was looking for... I went right after him with kicks and forearms. Then quickly went up top, but got caught. He went over me with some holds but I managed to come back, took him down with a rana, and landed a moonsault. Now maybe I should have just taken the pin there and been happy with it. But I was going to show Stu that I could hold his crowd i awe. I went out and got a table... called out to the crowd, that this was it, then kicked Cobra in the face, causing him to fall on the table. I rolled him into position on the table, climbed the ropes, called out an almighty battlecry, and sailed through the air with another moonsault.... straight through the empty table.... Cobra quickly covered, but I kicked out at 2... going through one little table wasn't going to stop the new "Extreme" Eiji Ezaki! While the Ref was getting the remains of the table out of the ring, I managed to get the upper hand again. I came off the ropes with a forearm, hurried to the top, only to MISS ANOTHER MOONSAULT I kicked out again, I was starting to get angry. This was not going to stop me. Cobra tried for a leaping DDT, but as he jumped up in the air, i rushed forward to get under him better, caught him and turned him in mid-air, planting him with the emerald fusion. The crowd was pretty hot at this point, and I was in pretty bad shape, so I went for the cover... AND HE KICKED OUT... I couldn't do much other than just stare in shock... then I did something else... I threw him from the ring and follow with a baseball slide. If I couldn't take him down in the ring, I would destroy him on the outside. He ducked the kick I went for, though and climed the ropes... he came off trying for a flying body press to the outside... was he trying to outdo me? I met him midair with a dropkick, and I think that left him with something to think about as I climbed the ropes now. He got up before I could do anything, though, and as I climbed down he caught me with a kick. He went in the ring to try for a dive. This was a mistake, however, as I moved out of the way, then nailed him with a german suplex ON THE FLOOR! I rolled him in the ring but he still kicked out. We fought back and forth in the ring. He got me with the springboard legdrop, I kicked out. He got me in the Suastica stretch, I fought my way out... All the while having to block his repeated attempt at concussing me with the Leaping DDT. He went up for a missile dropkick and I caught him with the dropkick again. I hurried to the top as he was getting up, and nailed him with the standing elbow. As soon as I had landed I ran across the ring to the other corner, quickly climbed up, and hit him with the moonsault. He was still... I had him 1 2 Suddenly out of nowhere Kun Fu came running out of the crowd and pulled the referee from the ring before I could make the pin. I guess he was tring to up the ante for our feud. I ignored the distraction, though... I would get my revenge on him soon enough in the ring, after all, and picked up the semi-conscious Cobra. The time he did NOT kick out of the Emerald Fusion and I made the 3 count in 34 minutes in a match I personally thought was great (B-) After the show Dynamite Kid came over and talked to me. I was elated, as surely he would be impressed by my performance? His words ent like this "You're trying to be me. Don't try to be me kid. You aint ****! You'll never be me" Then he just walked off. Hase-san came over and told me to ignore him, that he had a bad attitude, but it was still very disconcerting. Dynamite was, after all, one of the top guys in Stampede. Oh well... nothing to do about that now. Tomorrow is another day, maybe Stu will let me have a shot at Kung Fu. For now I have an appointment for a massage. Eiji Ezaki

Thursday - Week 4 - August 1983 Tonight was payback time "Extreme" Eiji Ezaki vs Kung Fu Actually the "Extreme" thing sounds pretty good... maybe I should incorporate that into my name full time here in Canada? I'll think about it. Maybe ask Stu-san I have met many nice people here in this business already. But never someone as nice as Owen-san, whom I met today. I was walking around getting ready for my match, when he just came over and started small-talking. He is one of the top guys as well, but he is really down to earth about it. He wished my luck tonight, and said he would look forward to fighting me soon, when I moved up the card. Coming from a son of the owner, that seems very promising. Kung Fu and I fought for a while in the ring. I guess I let my anger get the best of me, because I was just swinging wildly at him, and he took full advantage. Pretty soon I was in trouble. So to even things up, I took him outside. That didn't help much as he pulled out a pair of Nunchaku and went at me... I barely managed to avoid them. And as I did he caught me with a kick to the side of the head. He went inside and I followed. I countered another kick and tried for a german suplex, but he blocked it and hit a sunset flip bomb on me for the pin at 14 minutes. Not the greatest moment of my life, but at least the crowd liked the match (C+) so it wasn't a catastrophe. Still... not the best start for a feud, and I will have to take more care in our next outing. Eiji Ezaki

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I'll tell you what Eiji. Classy Freddie Blassie was in Japan watching a guy that he wanted to bring back to the WWF, a guy named Hulk Hogan-san. He also said that this kid Eiji Ezaki has the makings of a star but he also feels that you should be more all-around so that you can grow to your full potential. He also feels that you are much better than some of the pencil-neck geeks over there in Japan. I vote E for both countries.

Archived