could boxing be included?

Is it not obvious it will be in the game? I am not throughly familiar with the concept of boxing, but is it not some sort of MMA-like thing? This does brings up the question: How will match types survive the transition to MMA, if at all? Aren't there different match types? Submissions only, pin only, punching only (hence: boxing) and special rules matches like king of the hill or something like that? How about tag...? :p

Guest kungfuchef
Though I understand that boxing is seperate from MMA, it is an important part of MMA. I don't want to run a boxing sim. I just hope it plays a part. Having a good friend and training partner for years who is a 2 time MMA champion I can tell you first hand boxing is an important part of a fighters tool set. Many pro fighters will set aside a day or at least a session a day of training just in boxing. So in that regards I hope boxing is not completely left out.

It might be an important part of MMA, but it's an important part of MMA TRAINING, which is far different then running an MMA promotion. Having boxing in the game as a skillset is great, but having it available to run as a promotion? Not likely. One thing I would suggest, though, is to have boxing RESULTS pop up from time to time, in terms of PPV buys. This way you'd be able to see how you're faring against big fights, much like the real world right now.

Hmmm, I'm surprised at the answer to this. I figured since both took "Realism" as in both are bassically "for real", it would not be hard to include say.. A real world boxing organization, affiliated with each other's promotions. US heavyweight, European Heavyweight, etc. Also, Something I would pay for probably faster then an MMA game is a game that incorporated "All things possible". If by some miracle it was possible to do, I would pay double or triple for a game that included TEW, WMMA and perhaps Boxing as well (for the triple payment). In other words, if it's possible, you could have it the way it is now (all seperate), and possibly make one that melded the game worlds together (sort of like an expansion). WMMA now availabe for TEW use, in an expansion pack!! Or something along those lines. Just a thought, I'm going to support anything I find fun anyways (I will try the trial of WMMA for example). If I find it fun and not to complicated to figure out, I will be paying for WMMA as well.

Boxing is really not that important to MMA. A lot of the best strikers in MMA would make terrible boxers, also a lot of MMA fighters are terrible boxers. It all comes down to habits, the habits that you are taught in Boxing no way prepare you for MMA. There is not a "realistic" discipline that would not eat boxing up in MMA. Boxer will always have as much of a punching chance but fighters do not go from boxing to MMA or MMA to boxing very well. Heck boxers don't even go from Boxing to Kickboxing very well a few well placed leg kicks and they are down crying. To make things worse promotion wise Boxing and MMA are very different. Promotion in MMA is done mainly thorough the organization as a promoter. In boxing each fighter has their own separate promoter and some one watching their back. The point of this is to promote a organization of MMA from what I can tell much like a independent wrestling company except is real. Boxing you have a stable a fighters who are under 1 promoter. If Adam wanted to expand beyond MMA he should really go to Submission wrestling and Kickboxing. Both of these sports transition well to MMA. Boxing and MMA are similar in the way that Rugby and American football are similar. They are similar but different enough to make different games about them. How ever I do follow the sweet science if any one here has not checked it out. Look at Title Bout it is awesome boxing sim made by OOTP.

To confirm, I did not say that boxing skills and training won't form part of the game; that would be ridiculous given that MMA fighters are well known to use it. What I said was that boxing as a sport will not be included. Without wishing to go too simplistic, I think people may have missed the fact that the game is called "World of [U]Mixed Martial Arts[/U]". The clue's in the title.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;216969]Hmmm, I'm surprised at the answer to this. I figured since both took "Realism" as in both are bassically "for real", it would not be hard to include say.. A real world boxing organization, affiliated with each other's promotions. US heavyweight, European Heavyweight, etc. Also, Something I would pay for probably faster then an MMA game is a game that incorporated "All things possible". If by some miracle it was possible to do, I would pay double or triple for a game that included TEW, WMMA and perhaps Boxing as well (for the triple payment). In other words, if it's possible, you could have it the way it is now (all seperate), and possibly make one that melded the game worlds together (sort of like an expansion). WMMA now availabe for TEW use, in an expansion pack!! Or something along those lines..[/QUOTE] I guess Adam will end up doing this at some point. Although i will be buying WMMA for sure.

[QUOTE=TakayamaNOFEAR;216973]Look at Title Bout it is awesome boxing sim made by OOTP.[/QUOTE] I think they simulate the fights well but due to the fact that fighters do not age, get injured or that there is nothing else to the game appart from simulating fights, it is hard to say it is an awesome game. Played it for a week and that was it.

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland;216996]To confirm, I did not say that boxing skills and training won't form part of the game; that would be ridiculous given that MMA fighters are well known to use it. What I said was that boxing as a sport will not be included. Without wishing to go too simplistic, I think people may have missed the fact that the game is called "World of [U]Mixed Martial Arts[/U]". The clue's in the title.[/QUOTE] Not to be too picky here, but i just feel like your insinuating we are daft for even suggesting boxing! - just though i'd point out TEW is a wrestling sim and you can have MMA feds with in it (despit having wrestling in the game title! :p ) I just figured that being as there are similarity's between MMA and boxing, IE both legitimate sports, both happen in a ring, both have the goal of knocking your opponent senseless, that the game engine may have been open to allowing boxing feds, which would have been cool. But if its not feesible, then its not feesible! :)

TEW07 doesn't support MMA feds - it supports wrestling companies who promote themselves as having elements of MMA in them. The only game I've ever written that supported full MMA feds was TEW04, and that was should never have happened, that was a mistake on my part from not fully understanding what MMA was about. I wasn't trying to be insulting, but I genuinely do feel that it was a daft suggestion. I think the earlier poster's comment about rugby and american football were spot on - they're as similar as MMA and boxing are, but if I'd announced a rugby simulator you would have laughed if someone had posted "will it also allow me to simulate the NFL?".

Just to clarify, i understand that you don't want to put it in there, but i still think it was a reasonable idea and certainly not as extreme as the NFL/Rugby anology. Just to list a few of the reasons, for a start MMA kind of evolved from tournaments were boxers faced off against people schooled in Karate and stuff like that. So from a purely evelutionary stand point its nor a ridiculous suggestion. However you could argue that rugby eveloved from football(soccer) and yet you wouldn't expect a footie sim to include rugy, which would be a valid point, but boxing is similar in many ways to MMA, for example the panel of judges who decide who wins the bout, the fact that it is genrally done in several rounds, weight divisions, in fact the only real differences i can see is that in boxing there is a restriction on what move's you can use IE no headbutts, rabbit punch's etc, but even then there are restrictions on MMA moves as well i believe? I'm just thinking out loud to be honest, but i think there is clearly a small market of people interested in boxing, probably not enough to warrant building a game based around it, but if it is something that could be incorporated in this game, then you are widening the audience you could potentially sell to. But if thats not a route you want to take its fair enough, if you want detailed match reports and stuff i understand it will probably be a bit of a 'mare trying to differentiate between the two different sports. Anyway, i'm climbing off my soapbox now, 'cos my feet are aching and if i don't do some work soon, the boss may start to wonder if i am still actually alive!

[QUOTE=panix04;217078]for a start MMA kind of evolved from tournaments were boxers faced off against people schooled in Karate and stuff like that. So from a purely evelutionary stand point its nor a ridiculous suggestion.[/QUOTE] I'd be stupid not to say Boxing isn't part of MMA or was part of the evolution as of course punching someone is at the top of the list of what to do in a fight just off instincts. It didn't really evolve from these tournaments, however. It more evolved from the martial arts and wrestling, and of course to show off their art they would challenge others to show, sort of how the Gracies put on UFC 1. They challenged other arts to prove how effective it was. A good challenge match to watch is Kimura/Gracie from 1951 where Kimura (namesake of the move) broke Helio's arm. But the challenge matches, I wouldn't consider an evolution of the sport, they are simply someone like a wrestling saying that its more effective than say Boxing, some disagree, they'll fight, the wrestler takes him down and people start discussing how easy it looked and how the boxer couldn't box from his back. As I said above, I'd be stupid not to say it wasn't part of the evolution in some form, but the challenge matches weren't really a evolution of the total sport, but the evolution of each individual art. Eventually people started to put all the arts together as a complete package.

I think it essentially comes down to where your background and preferences lie. As a boxing fan, it's not surprising that you see the sports as being equal (if not boxing being better), whereas I think a large portion of MMA fans would see boxing as being an inferior sport, given that MMA offers everything boxing does, and a great deal more. My personal viewpoint is that boxing isn't going to recover from its current awful state, and the reason a lot of boxing people have recently been taking shots at MMA in the media is because they're well aware that MMA has a very good chance of relegating boxing to a "d-level" sport if it starts getting mainstream attention. Anyway, the bottom line is that there's absolutely zero chance of boxing getting into WMMA, as the best status I can give it is that boxing is an extremely limited predecessor to MMA, and that's just not enough to warrant being in the game.

fair dues bud. I have to agree that boxing is in a horrible state at the moment and i apreciate your reasons for not putting it in there, i'm sure you may have felt slightly different had 20 or 30 boxing fans all chipped in with support for the idea, but seeing as they haven't its probably a good shout! :)

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland;217106]If there'd been a lot of support I'd have considered making a separate boxing game in the future, but it wouldn't have changed my opinion on it being in WMMA, that's something I feel very strongly about.[/QUOTE] A boxing sim in the future, hrm... I'd buy it, Adam! :p

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland;217090]My personal viewpoint is that boxing isn't going to recover from its current awful state, and the reason a lot of boxing people have recently been taking shots at MMA in the media is because they're well aware that MMA has a very good chance of relegating boxing to a "d-level" sport if it starts getting mainstream attention.[/QUOTE] I agree. Up until 2 years ago i watched just boxing. After a couple of Pride and K-1 shows i went off boxing, it simply does not have the excitement or "blood" of MMA. If MMA gets proper exposure that is it. But not that i am suggesting it Adam (and not that i want it myself). Why not add a feature in the game simply for all those fans out there to have a promotion where in the rules fighters were not allowed kicks, grappling, or takedowns. Making it a 'boxing" or at least a punches only promotion. Only a suggestion

Guest kungfuchef
Boxing itself is a dying business no doubt. I was merely trying to point out its part in mma. Their is no doubt that most of the best mma strikers have trained in boxing. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira who is ONE of the best submission artists in the game trains with the brazilian national boxing team. I[B] don't [/B]want boxing in this game but I think it is a part of mma.

/nod, I see the points against it, but I am going to just have to aggree to dissagree here. I'm no expert at any of it, but I can see how (as the point was made a couple posts above) you could have a way to make a promotion that only allowed boxing rules... as different MMA's have different rules as well. A Boxing/Brawling or whatever you wanted to call it, promotion would just not allow certain moves... where only the legal boxing moves would be allowed. I aggree that boxing is in a big slump as well. I don't see it coming back either. These points is about all I can aggree with however.

This is not of any importance to what this thread is really about but I would be very interested in a roll playing boxing game if that is a future endeavor of yours Adam. I know there are a bunch of boxing fans in what we call the "basement" in the OOTP forums that have become increasingly impatient awaiting an arrival of a new boxing game. Good Luck with MMA game, some unexplored avenues you are taking. I cant wait to see how it turns out!

Archived