Imus in the spotlight?

lovestruck420

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE=Raveneffect21;224117]Jesus ****ing christ, racist? he made a ****ing joke[/QUOTE] He made a racist joke, a joke can be racist and I'm sure we've all been known to tell one but he's been doing it forever. As much as it's a double standard as a public figure you should be held to a higher standard because people are going to follow in your footsteps and try and be like you. So by propagating racist or sexist or any derogatory or demeaning comments you are saying that it's ok to do so. Maybe you've listened to his show maybe you haven't but I've heard him talk down to women like their second classes citizens, I've heard him make Anti-Semitic comments on air, especially about the people he works for. Now if it were me I would have fined or fired his ass long ago but they didn't and he finally said the straw the broke the camels back. I still like my dog analogy but even people who like him have to see that he went quite a bit to far on this, it's almost blaringly obvious.

[QUOTE=panix04;224091]Sorry bud, i think the scientific fact thing threw you, i was just being uncharacterestically flippant! You should know by now that 90% of what i say is pure crap! Anyway, im off now to enjoy my drunken stupor on the couch! Damn missus giving me aggro for being drunk again![/QUOTE] bah, I got served! :( Oh and I was wrong. Mike & the Mad Dog have gotten better ratings than Imus in recent years. So it's not just "She's a man, baby!" Wendy Williams who can draw listeners in this market. You know, when I was coming up, I was always taught to be careful what you say in "mixed company" because some words and expressions have more than one meaning to different people. Radio and television are the most extreme examples of "mixed company". Heck, even a channel like BET doesn't have JUST black viewers.

I don't know if Imus should've been trying to watch what he says, as such. I guess he's trying to be funny. I think the biggest reason that people who were offended didn't see it as a joke is the source. If this had been a minority comedian, or even someone younger or 'hipper,' then I believe more people would've let it slide. Hell, if Dave Chapelle does a sketch on a basketball game between 'jigaboos and wananbes' people are probably quoting lines in the streets to each other. But a 66 year old white guy, who's done stuff like this in the past, who's made racially based insults off the air to people at MSNBC...basically I think that people generally believed that, "Oh well he made those jokes because he [B]means [/B]it." I can empathize. I don't know the man personally, but I honestly believe Rush Limbaugh is a raging bigot. Just how he comes across IMO. I don't know if Imus is a racist. Someone can make racist jokes and honestly just be insensitive and ignorant or a little out of touch. Maybe that's the case with Don. But the people who got offende had every right to get offended and the networks that fired him did it to protect their interests.

Archived