Year-End Awards Categories

I know this is early, [I]way[/I] early, but I just wanted this out of the way... Seeing as I run the DOTM, I guess it's only fitting that I run the year-end awards, which means we need some categories... I'll be continuing all categories from last year, but I wanted to see if there were any more y'all wanted. [B]Diary of the Year[/B] (Previous winner: Wildfire for 'NWA: Return to Glory') [B]Real World Diary of the Year[/B] (Formerly 'Best Real World Diary') (Previous winner: Nevermore for 'ECW: Worldwide') [B]Cornellverse Diary of the Year[/B] (Formerly 'Best Cornellverse Diary') (Previous winner: eayragt for 'USPW: Bring Out Your Kids!') [B]Show of the Year[/B] (Formerly 'Best Card Overall') (Previous winner: Nevermore for 'The Masters of Pain Finals' in 'ECW: Worldwide' [B]Best New Diary[/B] (Previous winner: D16NJD16 for 'XPWF: Indyriffic!') [B]Indy Diary of the Year[/B] (Formerly 'Best Indy Diary') (Previous winner: Jehovah for 'RevPro - Something More Than Honour') [B]Most Compelling Character[/B] (Previous winner: G-Prime for 'Edge' in 'WWE: Rebirth') [B]Best Promos[/B] (Previous winner: Tristram for 'Death of WCW?') [I]New Categories (pending consensus)[/I] [B]Best Match Write-Ups[/B] (Suggested by G-Prime) [B]Promo of the Year[/B] (Suggested by G-Prime) [B]Match of the Year[/B] (Suggested by G-Prime) [B]Feud of the Year[/B] (Suggested by G-Prime) [B]Best Gimmick Match[/B] (Suggested by shamelessposer) [B]Best Presentation[/B] (Suggested by shamelessposer) [B]Best Utilized Roster[/B] (Suggested by soccergalaxy13) [B]Manager of the Year[/B] (Suggested by Oldschool) [B]Most Hated Wrestler[/B] (Suggested by Oldschool) [B]Most Popular Wrestler[/B] (Suggested by Oldschool) [B]Rocky Maivia Award*[/B] (Suggested by Oldschool) [B]Wrestler of the Year[/B] (Suggested by Oldschool) [B]Tag Team of the Year[/B] (Suggested by Oldschool) [B]TV Show of the Year[/B] (Suggested by Oldschool) [B]Stable of the Year[/B] (Suggested by dse81) [B]Best Kayfabe-Breaking Segments[/B] (Suggested by Astil) [B]Best Mod[/B] (Suggested by sheepy) Ok guys, what do y'all think? Any other new categories y'all want added? This is in no way a Nomination Thread. The awards aren't until December. I repeat: [B][U]NO NOMINATIONS IN THIS THREAD[/U][/B] *As there's really no catchy way to name the category of 'when a writer gets you interested in a character that otherwise we would never really gotten into', I decided to name it after a guy who was getting more X-Pac heat than X-Pac himself, Rocky Maivia, until he got a better gimmick... The Rock.

Interview of the Year, maybe? Properly done interviews have an awfully different flow than promos, and there [i]might[/i] be a big enough difference to justify interviews getting their own category. Best Gimmick Match? Coming up with a good gimmick match is more art than science, after all. Best Presentation? With the effort that a guy like The Ego can put into mock-ups of web sites, it seems to me dedication like that should be rewarded. Or this award could even go to an all-text diary that makes clever use of layout and formatting to create a diary that's pleasing to the eye.

How about stealing a little for the PWI awards Manager of the year: Most hated wrestler Most popular wrestler I dont know how to word this one, but how about when a writer gets you interested in a character that otherwise we would never really gotten into wrestler of the year tag team of the year Feud of the year Storyline of the year TV show of the year (not a single individual show, but a diary that week in and week out comes off as a great show... Certainly need to recognize format and layouts I'd also suggest getting the ball running on this soon, it may take forever to get nominees and votes and decided....Perhaps late Sept/early Oct for nominations

That's kind of early... I was thinking Late November for nominations, Early December voting, and results posted before Christmas. I like all of the categories so far, although I already had 'Feud of the Year' up there, and I'd think 'Storyline of the Year' would also be covered by that.

[QUOTE=shamelessposer;253536]Interview of the Year, maybe? Properly done interviews have an awfully different flow than promos, and there [i]might[/i] be a big enough difference to justify interviews getting their own category.[/QUOTE] Care to expand on this a little bit? I'm not exactly certain what you mean by it - from my understanding, [b]promo[/b] is just short for [b]promotional interview[/b]... so they seem, to me at least, to be very similar. If it had been "angle of the year" or "backstage vignette of the year" I would've recognized the difference more quickly I'm sure. But isn't a promo essentially the same as an interview? Or at least close enough to fit into the category?

[QUOTE=SadisticBlessings;253722]Care to expand on this a little bit? I'm not exactly certain what you mean by it - from my understanding, [b]promo[/b] is just short for [b]promotional interview[/b]... so they seem, to me at least, to be very similar. If it had been "angle of the year" or "backstage vignette of the year" I would've recognized the difference more quickly I'm sure. But isn't a promo essentially the same as an interview? Or at least close enough to fit into the category?[/QUOTE] I'd imagine the difference as this. An interview is done backstage with an interviewer asking the wrestler questions about his upcoming match or whatever or is done in a "Piper's Pit" type setting. A promo would be a wrestler getting in the ring with a microphone and saying what is on his mind without anyone interviewing him. Its probably not exactly correct but that is how I see it in my mind.

[QUOTE=Oldschool;253653] I dont know how to word this one, but how about when a writer gets you interested in a character that otherwise we would never really gotten into [/QUOTE] I think what you mean would be something like best character development. It is one thing for a wrestler in the game to rise from lower midcard to main eventer. It is another thing for a writer to make that character's rise believable. I think it might also tie in with what I always describe as "finding the character's voice." For example Matt Weise is one of my most popular characters. Early on, he was Mr. Mean Matt Weise who was a bad man and yelled and screamed and threatened a lot. Once I felt that I found his voice his character changed. He become the King of the Monsters and the tone of his promos changed from yelling and screaming to a more cerebral almost soft spoken, in my mind Hannibal Lechter-esque level of both charm and intimidation. I think it somewhat translates. Now things he would have said early on wouldn't seem right to me coming out of his mouth. I think that is a big thing for writing a character, can I imagine what is written is something they would actually say. Okay I think I have rambled on too long. Next. ;)

[QUOTE=Wildfire1324;253736]I think what you mean would be something like best character development. It is one thing for a wrestler in the game to rise from lower midcard to main eventer. It is another thing for a writer to make that character's rise believable. I think it might also tie in with what I always describe as "finding the character's voice." For example Matt Weise is one of my most popular characters. Early on, he was Mr. Mean Matt Weise who was a bad man and yelled and screamed and threatened a lot. Once I felt that I found his voice his character changed. He become the King of the Monsters and the tone of his promos changed from yelling and screaming to a more cerebral almost soft spoken, in my mind Hannibal Lechter-esque level of both charm and intimidation. I think it somewhat translates. Now things he would have said early on wouldn't seem right to me coming out of his mouth. I think that is a big thing for writing a character, can I imagine what is written is something they would actually say. Okay I think I have rambled on too long. Next. ;)[/QUOTE] As soon as I saw the category, I thought of the King of Monsters.

[QUOTE=Wildfire1324;253731]I'd imagine the difference as this. An interview is done backstage with an interviewer asking the wrestler questions about his upcoming match or whatever or is done in a "Piper's Pit" type setting. A promo would be a wrestler getting in the ring with a microphone and saying what is on his mind without anyone interviewing him. Its probably not exactly correct but that is how I see it in my mind.[/QUOTE] Ah.. yeah, my impression was this: [QUOTE="Wikipedia"]Promo, a promotional interview (as in "cutting a promo"). Often includes either an "in-ring interview" or (on television) a skit by wrestlers and other performers to advance a storyline or feud.[/QUOTE] Either way, is the difference between an in-ring interview and a backstage interview so great that it merits two seperate categories? Does the grading criteria change that much between the two? Not that I'm complaining about having one more category... :D

With so many new categories, I've decided, that to make each one worthwhile, there must be at least 4 nominees in each category for it to be voted on. If it doesn't make 4 nominations, it will be scrapped for the year. (No, this is NOT an invitation for nominations, just so you know)

[QUOTE=Wildfire1324;253736]I think what you mean would be something like best character development. It is one thing for a wrestler in the game to rise from lower midcard to main eventer. It is another thing for a writer to make that character's rise believable. I think it might also tie in with what I always describe as "finding the character's voice." For example Matt Weise is one of my most popular characters. Early on, he was Mr. Mean Matt Weise who was a bad man and yelled and screamed and threatened a lot. Once I felt that I found his voice his character changed. He become the King of the Monsters and the tone of his promos changed from yelling and screaming to a more cerebral almost soft spoken, in my mind Hannibal Lechter-esque level of both charm and intimidation. I think it somewhat translates. Now things he would have said early on wouldn't seem right to me coming out of his mouth. I think that is a big thing for writing a character, can I imagine what is written is something they would actually say. Okay I think I have rambled on too long. Next. ;)[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=G-Prime;253737]As soon as I saw the category, I thought of the King of Monsters.[/QUOTE] Kind of the guy I had in mind as well, when trying to describe "The category" as well as your Brian Kendrick!

• 4 months later...
Bumping this back to the front, because it's almost time for nominations... I'll open them up this weekend some time. As a result, DOTM November and December have been cancelled. Nominations will be open for two weeks, followed by two weeks of voting. Any discussion should be kept to this thread. Any questions?

[QUOTE=keefmoon;316550]Bloomin' blimey, has it been a year already? Yipes. Should be good this year, had some great ones come, some great ones stay and unfortunately some great ones go. If there's anything I can help with lemmie know buddy.[/QUOTE] Thanks for the offer... I was actually going to ask for someone to help me. I was thinking, if I get nominated for a couple of categories, and in turn win them (a guy can dream), I could be accused of cheating. So I was thinking, as a PM can have two recipients, all votes could be sent to myself and another person, the other person wouldn't even have to count them, unless someone disputed the results, they'd just need copies of the votes in case of a protest. Two weeks after the results are announced, the votes can be deleted, and your inbox freed up. Just a thought, if keefy's not up for it, I'll ask for volunteers.

Archived