TNA Phasing Out X division?

PeterHilton

This is on tnawrestlingnews.com, which means it's either BS or copy & pasted. It's also being reported on 411mania and Gerweck.net, so..turns out it's copy & pasted: [QUOTE]"There were rumors last week that the X Division Title would soon be phased out. With the recent addition of Andrew Martin and Matt Morgan along with reports of signing Rikishi and A-Train, it would appear that the X Division is going by the way side. Current story lines right now only focus on the heavyweights such as Angle, Cage, Sting, Jarrett, Abyss, Tomko, and Steiner. At this time, it is believed that Kurt Angle will defeat Samoa Joe in the Winner Takes All Match and Angle will form an alliance with a yet to be named partner and carry the TNA Tag titles while the World Title and X Division Title will then be unified there by phasing out the X Division title. This is similar to what WWE did years ago when for a short time they phased out the IC title by unifying the World Title and the IC Title." [/QUOTE] FINALLY....I have been asking myself over and over "what is the one thing that TNA could do to finally kill themselves dead?" The Answer: Get rid of the X Division and sign a bunch of guys like Tomko, Test, Matt Morgan, Albert, and Rikishi. Hey, maybe Bull Buchanan is available! This way, they not only don't generate any new fans (because casual fans never gave a crap about those guy when they were in the WWF) but they ALSO piss off their dedicated longterm fanbase by getting rod of the one thing that reallt set them apart. Cheers, TNA. Kudos to you. I didn't think you could be any more stupid. But if this true, you proved me wrong.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if they do this then it will kill any sense of individuality that TNA has over the WWE. We all know that lightweights/crusierweights are pretty much lost in the WWE and wrestle a rather boring style... TNA's X Division gives the company some uniqueness... So if this is real then TNA is on the verge of stripping their identity and quite possibly destroying their future.

Hell the title is so buried lately most people wouldn't even notice it disappearing. :p Still though, I reckon this is nonsense. They may de-emphasise the title but I can't see it going altogether. Its always bugged me why someone like Abyss or Rhyno hasn't held it just to show its about no limits and not flippy-flippy. With the exception of Joe TNA seems to enforce an unofficial weight limit which some fans are growing to accept as fact, something which is becoming a barrier as the midcard fills up with bigger types.

[QUOTE=NickC13573;274823]if were all pissed off about this "report" lets all email TNA. I am being serious[/QUOTE] You are being hasty. Wait until it comes to pass. Imagine how silly you'd look writing an email that starts with, "I heard.....".

Eh, the title has been pretty low key recently anyway, that and a good portion of the X Division workers seem to be on the tag scene right now (XXX, MGMG, etc)... I can't see them getting rid of it though. If they do, it's insane on their part seeing as how TNA's biggest plus point is that they actually allow their cruiserweights to put on good matches, crazy spotfests and actually utilise their moveset... unlike the complete toss the WWE try to pass off as a cruiserweight division.

Gerweck could be just speculating, but he *was* calling the Test signing a couple days before other sites were. And when you have a roster full of big man brawler types and a management team that feels the need to push guys to the top based on the fact that they "used to be on Raw" ...and the X Division has been ignored for awhile and all the better performers are in the tag division...ehhh...I could see this happening. Its just a rumor for now. But that would be terrible for TNA if they make this decision.

I don't see it hurting anything, outside of the lack of a midcard single's title. I understand that TNA fans will probably be hurt by this, but from what I understand, it's already kind of lost in the mix anyways. I don't see it helping them either... Just see it making them more stable as a WWEisque wanna-be company. So on WWE-Light (TNA) tonight, Samoa Joe lose's to TEST!! lol.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;274907]I don't see it hurting anything, outside of the lack of a midcard single's title.[/QUOTE] Long time TNA fans will reject it. And long time WWE fans will look at them as a WWE knock-off. They will have no real identity, dependable fanbase, and therefore no way to really grow.

I seriously hope not, but does the X division title really mean anything right now anyway? If they keep it the holder after "hard justice" has to be stripped of the title. I just know that I am saddened by the direction of the creative mess known as TNA. I could go on forever about what I would do differently with TNA, (as I am sure others could) but it would be pointless in the end. I will say that "Test" does look smaller now from when I saw him get beat by lashley back at the start of the year. (wonder how long that will last).

I know this would stop me from watching TNA full-time. I just went to HMV and bought Wrestlemania 23 and Best of X Division Vol. 2, and to be honest it is the only thing that would make me want to watch TNA regularly. I think I'm better off just buying TNA DVDs that look any good if they do end up phasing it out.

[QUOTE=BIGJOSH;274967]I really don't think this is going to happen...if...IF they phase out the X Division then they will have to introduce another midcard title.[/QUOTE] No really. The rumors i am seeing is since most of the undercard is pissed off. They will have only Heavyweight and Tag Team. With most of the X guys going.

[QUOTE=darkfire423;275011]No really. The rumors i am seeing is since most of the undercard is pissed off. They will have only Heavyweight and Tag Team. With most of the X guys going.[/QUOTE] If a tree fell on Petey Williams in the woods, would anyone notice?

The fact that they are ignoring the one thing that set them apart as a promotion and burying the types of performer that got them their fansbase is exactly why they are so screwed up. Honestly, did people tune initially for Ron Killing and Ken Shamrock and Jeff Jarret? No. The reason they got any viewer whatsoever in those weekly PPV days was the X Division.

[QUOTE=PeterHilton;275036]Honestly, did people tune initially for Ron Killing and Ken Shamrock and Jeff Jarret? No. The reason they got any viewer whatsoever in those weekly PPV days was the X Division.[/QUOTE] Don't you know? It's always a good idea to bite the hand that feeds you! What's funny about darkfire's supposition is the fact that none of the X-Division workers would have a single problem finding gainful employment in other, better promotions, should TNA cut them loose. Can Test say the same thing (yeah, I can see ROH beating a path to his door :rolleyes: )? Perhaps it's because the X-Division guys actually have talent and charisma and personality whereas folks like Andrew Martin have "Well, I worked on RAW [I][B]and[/B][/I] ECW..." I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing but when you're given TWO opportunities to "blow up" (so to speak) and you flunk both times because the fans can't even be paid to care about you, that doesn't inspire confidence in your talent.

[QUOTE=TheEdgeOfReason;275067]Well this is a terrible idea if they dgo ahead with it. As JBL would say "you stick with what brought you to the dance", obviously TNA don't think so. Which is why they're going down the toilet. They badly need to get rid of Russo.[/QUOTE] It's really not even true to say TNA is "going down the toilet" their ratings are up...their shows are better than they were this time last year...they're getting ready to go to 2 hours which is why they're bringing new guys in not because they're getting rid of the X Division. The guy I know who has an in road to TNA has said that this is complete BS and he's been right about everything he's ever told me. BTW he's also said that Russo has very limited power and just scripts some promos and pitches ideas that aren't used most of the time.

[QUOTE=BIGJOSH;275073]It's really not even true to say TNA is "going down the toilet" their ratings are up...their shows are better than they were this time last year...they're getting ready to go to 2 hours which is why they're bringing new guys in not because they're getting rid of the X Division. The guy I know who has an in road to TNA has said that this is complete BS and he's been right about everything he's ever told me. BTW he's also said that Russo has very limited power and just scripts some promos and pitches ideas that aren't used most of the time.[/QUOTE] Entirely possible. I don't know who you know, but Gerweck isn't 100% right. But the ratings aren't up, they're steady. A 1.0-1.1. It's pretty much what they've already been. And if they are getting two hours, signing more guys is still a dumb move because they should be using that extra time to build the storlyines that get limited time now. If they sign some new names, and cut a big chunk of that current roster, I'd be all for it. Otherwise you're just jamming 4 hours of storlyines into 2 hour s of TV, instead of 2 into 1.

I hope they don't phase out the X Division, as that originality made them. So, basically what everybody else said. But... the signings. [INDENT]Adam "Pacman" Jones is a stupid publicity stunt, nuff said. Andrew "The Punisher / Test" Martin is "I was in WWE, let's sign me!" Matt Morgan... Matt Morgan's improved a great deal since he was in WWE. The guy is a big man who can move in the ring. I think he could be useful, he's already the best big they have, better then Tomko, and I believe about equal with Abyss in ring. We'll see how they book him, but the jury is at least out on that. I mean, the man can apparently hit the Shooting Star Press, and the Mount Morgan Drop is cool too. Here's a vid of the Morgan drop, it's only four seconds long though. From New Japan: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkZCsXE90Oo[/url][/INDENT]

Guest The Aussie
[QUOTE=PeterHilton;275085]Entirely possible. I don't know who you know, but Gerweck isn't 100% right. But the ratings aren't up, they're steady. A 1.0-1.1. It's pretty much what they've already been. And if they are getting two hours, signing more guys is still a dumb move because they should be using that extra time to build the storlyines that get limited time now. If they sign some new names, and cut a big chunk of that current roster, I'd be all for it. Otherwise you're just jamming 4 hours of storlyines into 2 hour s of TV, instead of 2 into 1.[/QUOTE] The main problem with these additional signings is that it is focusing more on the new guys that have had some exposure (However succesful) and less on the undercard who the majority are much more talented. I agree with your note on the storylines. They're trying to do much more than what they can actually do

[QUOTE=BIGJOSH;275073]It's really not even true to say TNA is "going down the toilet" their ratings are up...their shows are better than they were this time last year...they're getting ready to go to 2 hours which is why they're bringing new guys in not because they're getting rid of the X Division. The guy I know who has an in road to TNA has said that this is complete BS and he's been right about everything he's ever told me. BTW he's also said that Russo has very limited power and just scripts some promos and pitches ideas that aren't used most of the time.[/QUOTE] Well here is the thing. Really the raitings are up. But not great. Good but not great. They run the risk of losing their one hour in a month and a half as spike is thinking of letting Impact go. Their house shows are a bust. PPV buy rates are SH*T (um 20,000 or so). You look at the list of guy who deals run out in the next 60 days. It is mostly the X guys. Scott D'amore who isnt even with TNA anymore is still backstage talking to guys. Basiclly acting on the behalf of WWE. Backstage is pissed, and many feel that the former WWE guys will kill the company (From a former TNA wrestler).

Archived