Will there be fed types?

Like in TEW, fans may not like certain matchups. Pure: Fans enjoy watching fighters who are ranked very highly even if they put on boring fights. Traditional: Fans don't like watching boring fighters even if they are ranked highly. They may also like matches that are irrational when looked at ranking whise: BJ Penn versus Jens Pulver, Matt Hughes versus Royce Gracie, Tito Ortiz versus Ken Shamrock. Sports Entertainment: Fans enjoy freak show matchups such as Giant Silva versus Butterbean. Fans don't care much about rankings.

Probably semantics here, but I disagree with your labels. A "pure" MMA fan is going to enjoy a technical match up, whether it be a UFC headliner or local fed show with 50 people in attendance. They would probably pick up on minutia that "casual" fans (the term I think should be used for your "pure" definition, someone watching to see the big name not necessarily the skill set) either don't know about or don't care about. Like I said, probably just semantics, but then I tend to be anal-retentive about crap like that. Sue me.

[QUOTE=Dark Storm;301534]Probably semantics here, but I disagree with your labels. A "pure" MMA fan is going to enjoy a technical match up, whether it be a UFC headliner or local fed show with 50 people in attendance. They would probably pick up on minutia that "casual" fans (the term I think should be used for your "pure" definition, someone watching to see the big name not necessarily the skill set) either don't know about or don't care about. Like I said, probably just semantics, but then I tend to be anal-retentive about crap like that. Sue me.[/QUOTE] I don't know if your point is that valid though, but I do understand what your saying... Example, Promotion A is just starting out with fighter's that aren't popular at all. People start coming to see them, and as the fight's get better, they get more fans. At some point, that really good fighter is going to catch more and more eye's till he does become popular. At this time the casual fans will start to notice him as well. However, I could be a casual fan, and watch the MMA fights they put on locally, and still be able to enjoy the event, even though there is no names on the card. WHY? Well, I would probably know someone fighting, or involved with the promotion somehow. What I'm trying to say, is that it doesn't really matter if it's a great fight or not, if no one know's about them...> Even if your a "Pure" Type fan. However, after enough "Youtube" highlights and such, more people will start to recognize and that would probably start with the more Pure fans, but will eventually catch on with the casual fans as well. Pure fans are going to probably find that NEXT big thing before hand, where a casual fan will probably wait for it to happen.. That's the only difference I can really see there. The other "Monster" type gimmick fights, well, that's another story. EDIT: And although I'm most definately a "casual" type wrestling fan, wanting more entertainment then a "Pure" person would. I am most definately a "Pure" fan, when it comes to anything that is "Real". I want a good fight, and if it's bad/fighter's suck or whatever, I wouldn't care how popular they are, I wouldn't pay to see them again (unless there was major improvement). I really can't see a "Casual" Type fan base for MMA, unless they are gimmick minded. Watching real fights, your going to want to see some real skill, no matter how often you watch it. Another difference between Casual and Pure at this type of event, would be that I would expect the Pure fan to know the fighter's better, and know what they are capable of, where a casual fan could be surprised. However, I don't think a Casual fan is going to want to watch a bad fight, just because Someone popular is in it.

Agreed 100%. In MMA, everyone is a Pure ir Real fan. You do not get people coming in wanting to watch a concert! Sure you couls have casual MMA fans. But when it comes to MMA, people want to see action, be it technical, standup or whatever. That is what MMA is all about! If you do not like the floor game, you would watch just K-1!

It's not about action versus no-action it's about matchups. A pure fan might crap all over Tito Ortiz versus Ken Shamrock because there's no reason ranking wise for it to happen but a casual fan would love the match because of the heat between them. A pure fan might love Arlovski versus Werdum because it's a match between two highly ranked fighters but a casual fan would hate it because there's no action involved. So the difference between pure and casual would be how much they value rankings, heat, and popularity. A casual fan might love Bob Sapp because he's famous but a pure fan wouldn't like him because he's not skilled enough. A pure fan wouldn't care as much about titles and title defenses and more about quality of opposition whereas a casual fan would like a fighter decorated with a lot of titles versus one that's racked up more quality wins. You could say the same thing about TEW of fan types versus fed types but how it works in TEW is that it's assumed that a certain type of fan always goes to the appropriate federation. There's no inelastic demand but there probably should be as people will usually watch an "Enormous" Fed even if it doesn't have their ideal product.

I think that's normal though. The more popular a guy is, the more likely someone that casually watch's will watch. That would be shown in how much PPV buys the event gets and such, but.... Really, I don't think any promotion would do any better if they are considered Pure or casual type.... It would just depend on who they could get to work it. I think a better way to look at it would be through what the promotion itself cater's too.... Example, One promotion might like to do island type fights, where the fighters meet on an island and have their event there. Another promotion would prefer a regular arena in which to do battle. Yet another one might concentrate on mostly fighter's that are technically based, with lots of grappling and submissions, and another with more of a kick boxing feel to it. I just don't see a promotion NOT trying to get as many viewer's as possible... They might have a good ground and pound division going on or something, but to have NO name to pull in the Buy Rates just doesn't sound like a promotion that would be workable. I would like some real life example's of what you guys are talking about, I could easily be missing a point here.

Archived