NickC13573

Independent Ticket Prices?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Independent Ticket Prices?

• $10
    • $15
    • $20
    • $5

My local fed charges £10 for a normal monthly show and between £20 & £30 for a show were there are special guests....... Mick Foley, Jake Roberts that kind of thing, but those shows are quite rare....... probably once a year. So if American they would charge around $20 but their talent roster is quite extensive.

[QUOTE=Blasphemywebleed;349522] So if American they would charge around $20 but their talent roster is quite extensive.[/QUOTE] Like I said, 10 is the norm for local shows. I'm in America. Places like ROH, the "highest" indy charges 50 for front row (in the mid-west, it's a bit higher for the NYC shows and such), and on the down the line till the 5th row I believe. General Admission is 15 bucks. Local Indy shows is usually first row and then all general admission. 15/20 and then 10. Or something like presale 10 dollars and at the gate 15.

1. Make sure you have the resources you need. A company like this needs LOTS of overhead. Do you have thousands to risk? Also, while you be able to get workers that people will want to see? Remember: Regionally popular guys can give you your average main event, high fliers can be unknowns if entertaining, and your first show should have at least 1 name I, for example, have heard of. If you can draw a good crowd the first time, and entertain them, word of mouth will make you. (If you fail, it'll break you!) 2. Don't worry about prices until you know what you're going to need to make money. At the very least, know your venue. Once you work out the capacity, you'll know how much you need to charge. (Ex. Your expenses are $5000 a year (silly, but just an example). Your "arena" holds 50 people (silly again). All of your income will come from tickets because your T-Shirt maker exploded. How much do you charge per ticket? (All general admission). Well, if you hold 12 shows a year, and get a full house every show, that works out to around $8.50 per ticket, and you make around $0.15 per person!) 3. Good cheap merchandise = success. It has to be practical, because your names aren't going to sell the product. Sell seat cushions, and random junk (that kids will force their parents to buy) as well as T-Shirts and stuff. Also, if you need help, I can make up and sell you shirts semi-cheap through cafepress! :D

[QUOTE=mjdgoldeneye;349927]1. Make sure you have the resources you need. A company like this needs LOTS of overhead. Do you have thousands to risk? Also, while you be able to get workers that people will want to see? Remember: Regionally popular guys can give you your average main event, high fliers can be unknowns if entertaining, and your first show should have at least 1 name I, for example, have heard of. If you can draw a good crowd the first time, and entertain them, word of mouth will make you. (If you fail, it'll break you!) 2. Don't worry about prices until you know what you're going to need to make money. At the very least, know your venue. Once you work out the capacity, you'll know how much you need to charge. (Ex. Your expenses are $5000 a year (silly, but just an example). Your "arena" holds 50 people (silly again). All of your income will come from tickets because your T-Shirt maker exploded. How much do you charge per ticket? (All general admission). Well, if you hold 12 shows a year, and get a full house every show, that works out to around $8.50 per ticket, and you make around $0.15 per person!) 3. Good cheap merchandise = success. It has to be practical, because your names aren't going to sell the product. Sell seat cushions, and random junk (that kids will force their parents to buy) as well as T-Shirts and stuff. Also, if you need help, I can make up and sell you shirts semi-cheap through cafepress! :D[/QUOTE] yes, I have my own money to risk, and I have a business Idea in my head, and I am putting it on paper, in a business plan. However, no one is going to go for it without Market research, and I dont have money to get a real research firm. I am doing what I thought would be good, by polling the only wrestling fans I know. I also emailed Meltzer to see if he had done it, and if I could get what research he did.

Just make sure you sell presells. Hell, do 8$ presells and 12$ at the door tickets and you should do ok. Fliers everywhere. Have friends pass them out at schools. And don't make them 5$. You will never make any money that way and not many more people will come than if it was 10.

I'm sure you have/are, but make sure you follow any State guidelines if Wrestling is regulated in Minnesota. Check into having an EMT or some sort of Medical on site in case something really bad happens in the ring. Security in case some jerk-wad wannabe in the crowd gets out of control. How about a $1 discount to the next show to the first 25/50/100 to pre-buy a ticket at the current show. Example:1/15 show you have people want to buy for the upcoming 2/15 show. Give them an extra $1 off and then you have that money available 30 days before you "earn" it. Just some stuff....

Personally, I would worry about financing (so get the business plan done) before worrying about ticket pricing. Yes, it's your primary source of revenue but it doesn't have to be your ONLY source of revenue. On top of all of that, asking on this forum for your market research isn't going to come close to getting you the information you need. Seriously, use the resources at your disposal. [B][I]ASK YOUR FRIENDS[/I][/B]. Six degrees of separation is LAW, FACT. You know someone who knows someone who can get you the information you need. Your friends are resources. No one can argue that "it's not what you know, it's who you know" isn't true. But the "who you know" doesn't have to be a famous or influential person. All they need is to be at the right place at the right time (working in the mailroom at Young & Rubicam, for example). Find out what other promoters in your area are charging for their tickets, along with the talent they generally use, and their typical attendance, and go from there. Market research doesn't have to be expensive (hell, Carnival did ours FOR US) but polling two dozen people from widely different geographical and cultural and societal regions, isn't going to hold up under scrutiny. You want to know what people are willing to pay where you are (or where you intend to hold your shows), not Wales or New York or Winnipeg or Melbourne or Yokosuka. Could you see telling your workers some of them aren't going to get paid because "apparently, people in Minnesota aren't willing to pay the same amount for tickets as people in Austin"? As ACCBiggz alluded to, $25 for a ticket here in NYC is nothing. Hell, our movie theaters cost up to $11. Would that fly in Iowa or Minnesota? Probably not, without some relatively big names. If it's done right, it's going to take time, patience, and yes, money. You rush it and you'll fall flat on your face (and maybe even get sued. Frivolous or not, lawsuits cost money). Slow down. The first thing you should be doing (in my opinion) is researching the area(s) you intend to hold shows. Isolate possible venues, find out how much they'd cost, when they're typically available, and how well suited they are to the kind of show you're trying to put on. Then figure out the shadow costs (legal, insurance, medical), i.e. the costs no one really thinks about until they REALLY need it and don't have coverage. CYA to the fullest. Then see what kind of workers you can get. Try to stay as local as possible to keep possible travel/lodging costs to a minimum (some workers demand to have their travel costs paid for or reimbursed). You can either go the el cheapo route or establish a reputation as a class operation from day one. bah, didn't mean to go that far. As you can probably tell, I've done some research into starting or investing in a promotion. I've learned that there are a lot (A LOT) of shady promoters out there who like to stiff or defraud people. As a result, there's somewhat of a stigma attached to startups until they prove themselves. You want to avoid that stigma, at all costs. Setting your ticket prices should be one of the last steps you go through since you really need to know what your expenses are going to look like. Charging $8 a head isn't going to do much good if your costs are $9.50 a head.

Wow. You have thought about things a lot. Rock on. One of these days I'm going to plan my own event. You know, as a fun, theoretical exercise. All spreadsheets and equations. What can I say? I'm sexually attracted to numbers.

[QUOTE=Self;350342]What can I say? I'm sexually attracted to numbers.[/QUOTE] 44DD I like a couple of letters with numbers....... If there are any shows being ran in the state, go to one and really look around. Take notes on anything you think is costing them $$$. You might find a thing or two you hadn't thought about by attending the show with a business view instead of a fan view.

[QUOTE=GDE71;350381]44DD I like a couple of letters with numbers....... If there are any shows being ran in the state, go to one and really look around. Take notes on anything you think is costing them $$$. You might find a thing or two you hadn't thought about by attending the show with a business view instead of a fan view.[/QUOTE] hahahaha lmfao

Archived