Kevin Thorne

luismiranda

It's weird... during the ECW series of matches where they eliminated one guy each week, I really thought they'd started booking him to look really good in the ring and that he was about to get a push with the gimmick he had going on. Obviously they'd released Ariel by then, but it looked like he was about to take off.... then just a few weeks later he's been genericised (not a real word!) and immediately loses the appeal of his character. I guess he couldn't spend that much time doing his hair every week.

[QUOTE=derek_b;357423]It's weird... during the ECW series of matches where they eliminated one guy each week, I really thought they'd started booking him to look really good in the ring and that he was about to get a push with the gimmick he had going on. Obviously they'd released Ariel by then, but it looked like he was about to take off.... then just a few weeks later he's been genericised (not a real word!) and immediately loses the appeal of his character. I guess he couldn't spend that much time doing his hair every week.[/QUOTE] I felt the same way. I thought that was one of the better gimmicks... Let me put it a different way, although it's not an original gimmick, I thought that gimmick suited him about the best any gimmick could. I don't like this new look at all, and to me it emphasize's too much on his bad points, then his good. To me, instead of sticking out as an obvious threat.. He looks like a wrestler that is just happy to be there. Another Funaki type if you will. I would have used him a ton different. Ariel would have been able to stick around allot longer as well. These are the types of things that aggrevate me more then anything else about the company... and especially that brand. It's almost like the people calling the shots for that show (ECW) don't watch it (routinely). I know it's more like "Heat" to them then anything, and probably supposed to be. Still.. Some of these guys do have the talent I think they should really get behind and help them develop more. I guess maybe the change (if I was to take a huge guess and give them lots of room here) is to work on his other skills in the ring possibly, without being able to "talk" his way through them. I don't know. I seen his character being developed into a Main Eventer one day. Just seems to me that they took a huge step backwards with him.

[QUOTE=sheepy;357469]it was a heyman gimmick and a heyman push and when he left thorne lost his push.[/QUOTE] From what I've heard, it's Dusty's booking. He's trying to put out a wrestling first atmosphere and less on odd gimmicks. I can't say I fault him for that. Same thing for the Boogeyman. Dusty felt his gimmick grows stale far too quickly to use him on a regular basis but he can't be repackaged for the simple reason that he is abysmal in the ring. Thorne on the other hand has some in ring skill (I'm not saying he's CM Punk, but he's certainly not Boogey).

[QUOTE=i effin rule;357471]Thorne on the other hand has some in ring skill (I'm not saying he's CM Punk, but he's certainly not Boogey).[/QUOTE] Actually, Kevin Fertig is very good in the ring. But you have to remember, WWE doesn't like its big men wrestling. They like to KISS as an overall company policy with the bigger guys. You'll never have a Mike Awesome type of worker in WWE (though Kevin Fertig can do a lot of that stuff). Think of how Brock Lesnar worked before he faced off with Kurt Angle.

[QUOTE=Remianen;357573]Actually, Kevin Fertig is very good in the ring. But you have to remember, WWE doesn't like its big men wrestling. They like to KISS as an overall company policy with the bigger guys. You'll never have a Mike Awesome type of worker in WWE (though Kevin Fertig can do a lot of that stuff). Think of how Brock Lesnar worked before he faced off with Kurt Angle.[/QUOTE] I recall him being good in the ring (I'm from Kentucky and remember when he was in OVW and teamed with Leviathan) but as you said, it's not something I've seen over the years.

Guest The Aussie
[QUOTE=i effin rule;357582]I recall him being good in the ring (I'm from Kentucky and remember when he was in OVW and teamed with Leviathan) but as you said, it's not something I've seen over the years.[/QUOTE] He actually teamed with Tomko under the name Seven. He is a good big man from what I've seen of his OVW . Guess he is the type of guy that the WWE are going to chalk into the 'Bugger Up' column alongside Matt Morgan and guys like Vader. On the subject of Tomko, how much more impressive is he since he left the WWE? His japan work is damn impressive and kinda makes me think of how much Giant Bernard improved outside the E.

Yeah Tomko in Japan is awesome him and Giant Bernard(A-Train) are a great tag team. And yeah Fertig as Seven was quite impressive too. I liked when he first joined ECW under the Vamp gimmick when he was doing the stunner thing where his opponant was draped over the top rope then he gave them a stunner. Great Finisher.

[QUOTE=The Aussie;358106]He actually teamed with Tomko under the name Seven. He is a good big man from what I've seen of his OVW . Guess he is the type of guy that the WWE are going to chalk into the 'Bugger Up' column alongside Matt Morgan and guys like Vader. On the subject of Tomko, how much more impressive is he since he left the WWE? His japan work is damn impressive and kinda makes me think of how much Giant Bernard improved outside the E.[/QUOTE] They were all part of the same stable weren't they? Was it Tomko who went by "Payne" or something similar at that point? Synne or something or other as a manager. My memory gets fuzzy after about a week so it's hard for me to remember something from that long ago.

Guest The Aussie
[QUOTE=i effin rule;358361]They were all part of the same stable weren't they? Was it Tomko who went by "Payne" or something similar at that point? Synne or something or other as a manager. My memory gets fuzzy after about a week so it's hard for me to remember something from that long ago.[/QUOTE] Synn was manager, Tomko was Travis Bane and Thorne was Seven. It was a stable called the Disciples of Synn.

Archived