No joy for a rematch?

Seems like while you can have a rematch with decent anticipation, it will never be as high as the first match, even if the original match had an iffy finish (split decision victory) in a title bout. Q: HAs anyone managed to have a rematch that has as high of an interest rating (or higher!) then the original? How did you do it?

Easily and often. 1. Give it time. You need to wait at least a year. 2. Make sure they have momentum. The more the merrier. 3. Popularity. Name value draws more interest. Really, its the same forumla you'd use for any fight. I tend to find the rematch has higher interest than the first fight, but that's probably because my fighters have gotten more popular between their fights and I won't blow a rematch when the two fighters haven't at least got some momentum going.

I've done this several times too :) Katy-Jayne Paulson and Kimie Igarashi had a match not long after Paulson's debut and it was 2 stars. By the next year both were pretty big stars and Igarashi had been my Heavyweight champion for a little while. Their rematch for the title had Very High interest

This game ain't like the real world, where as a brilliant first fight would result in more interest in the re-match, for some reason this game dosen't. I tried to re-create a classic gatti-ward style trilogy with 2 perfect fighters to test this theory out. 2 fighters completly 100% perfect, 5 star rating points finish really close in the first fight, anticipation low for the second fight, anticipation very low for the 3rd fight...

[QUOTE=Dolfanar;367601]So something like the 3rd Ken Shamrock/Tito Ortiz thing wouldn't be possible where you had a rematch in a short amount of time?[/QUOTE] That's a totally different situation. Tito vs Shamrock only happened because the fans didn't enjoy the finish, and the UFC didn't even put it on pay-per-view. No one in their right mind thought Tito wouldn't win easily. Take the recent Hughes vs St. Pierre match-up as an example. While people were pumped because it was going to be a good fight, the time in between them wasn't enough for the fans to be really excited for it. And adamrobertk, you're being ridiculous. You have to wait, obviously.

[QUOTE=adamrobertk;368027]This game ain't like the real world, where as a brilliant first fight would result in more interest in the re-match, for some reason this game dosen't. I tried to re-create a classic gatti-ward style trilogy with 2 perfect fighters to test this theory out. 2 fighters completly 100% perfect, 5 star rating points finish really close in the first fight, anticipation low for the second fight, anticipation very low for the 3rd fight...[/QUOTE] There is a cooling off period after each fight during which the interest is low - this doesn't mean they aren't interested in the fight, it means they aren't interested in the fight [U]right now[/U].

• 2 weeks later...
There were a few rematches in real life that had less than six months of a cooling off period, I suppose. Sylvia/Arlovski III comes to mind. But then again, nobody really cared about that, either ;) The only other example I can think of right now would be the third Fedor/Minotauro-fight (after the No Contest) which actually had decent interest, I guess. But that's ONE unique exception. Usually it definitely takes six to eight months at the very very least until there is as much interest for a rematch as there was for the original one.

Archived