Defining wrestling styles

The help files don't define any of the wrestling styles so I was wondering if the members here could help clear them up for me. Some of them like "brawler" and "technician" or "Spot Monkey" are quite clear and obvious.. but what exactly is the difference between a "Luchador", "Super Junior", and "Cruiserweight"? I'm not entirely sure what a "Super Junior" is.. I see that all three generally have a large focus on high flying, with "Luchador" maybe also focusing on technical wrestling, but what about the "Cruiserweight" and "Super Junior" style? I mean, cruiserweight is a weight class and the cruisers themselves can come in many different styles. Jamie Noble is a cruiserweight certainly but he seems to be pretty well-balanced, so I would first think of him in the "regular wrestler" style instead of "cruiserweight".. I would be grateful if somebody could clear this all up for me!

Jaime Noble would be classified more or less as a Super Junior wrestler, if that helps. The style is that there is some high flying moves, but primarily the style is based around flashy submission and power moves, with a lot of strikes mixed in. Ultimo Dragon, TAKA Michinoku, and Jushin Liger are probably the most famous super juniors to come over and wrestle fairly regularly in the US, which might help you with more examples of the style. Cruiserweight is kind of an odd one to define, as the original "cruiserweights" in WCW were mostly a mix of luchadores and super juniors, but I'd say the term as it is used in the game is meant to imply an American lightweight style, something similar to what Shane Helms, Brian Kendrick, or Paul London uses in WWE. In TNA good examples might be AJ Styles or Chris Sabin. Hope that helps you out.

Wait what? So its entirely country based? Lets say I took Taka Michinoku, dropped him in Mexico and saw him wrestling for the first time against Juventud let's say. Am I going to tell a difference in their wrestling styles? Now how does the game use the information in the styles? I see that I get better ratings when wrestlers of the same style compete, but other than that will it affect my matches? If I wanna be a tard and switch Great Khali to a cruiserweight style.. what will happen? (Other than my audience getting up and leaving).

[QUOTE=AndyJP;402349]Wait what? So its entirely country based? Lets say I took Taka Michinoku, dropped him in Mexico and saw him wrestling for the first time against Juventud let's say. Am I going to tell a difference in their wrestling styles? Now how does the game use the information in the styles? I see that I get better ratings when wrestlers of the same style compete, but other than that will it affect my matches? If I wanna be a tard and switch Great Khali to a cruiserweight style.. what will happen? (Other than my audience getting up and leaving).[/QUOTE] It is sort of country based. A long time ago, wrestling was probably the same in every country, but over the years it has evolved differently, depending on the culture. In Japan it became more striking and submission based. In Mexico, it became choreographed high-flying. People were trained in the style of their country, and different styles emerged. Taka and Juventud probably aren't the best example, as they've wandered around a bit and picked up other styles, but if you put a 190lb guy who has only worked in Japan, against a 190lb guy who has only worked in Mexico, you would see a difference. As for how it works in the game, I don't know. You can only experiment with what's on offer and see what happens. Lucha is defined in product setting, so they do better with that up. I'd figure Khali would do quite poorly with a Cruiserweight style, because his stats don't reflect it. At the end of the month he'd likely revert back to whatever he has by default. There's a possibility that him and Kendrick might do a couple of percent better. Give it a try.

From the games perspective from what I've seen, Super Junior equals having their highest in-ring skills be Aerial, Flashiness, Mat Work, Chain Wrestling, and some Puro. Luchador equals having their highest in-ring skills be Aerial, Flashiness, and some Chain Wrestling. Cruiserweight equals having their highest in-ring skills being Aerial, Flashiness, and some Brawling.

As far as i can tell from watching wrestling from around the world. Luchadore: Alot of high flying stuff *planchas, topa's, huricanranah* I know i killed the spelling on all of them sorry. A luchadore is usally in a tag type of match *or six man tag* they are decent submission wrestlers but tend to fly alot more. This is a hard one because most "good" mexican wrestlers are luchadors. Super junior: Definitly japaness. Alot more of a "strong" style. Kicks, chops and elbows. In my opinion the only thing that makes a super junior diffrent then a heavyweight is simply the weight. You arn't going to see alot of power moves but some guy like lyger *the lyger bomb for instance* you are going to. I think a guy like tajiri Cruiserweight: This is a american style. A little above spot monkey i think but not much. A true cruiserweight is going to fly some, but is mostly about speed and "spots". think maybe shelly or sabin.

If you're looking for in-game clarification as far as the styles, look at the rosters for the companies that are most known for that particular style, particularly their most over workers. This would be (with some obvious exceptions that should stand out to you): Cruiserweight - CZCW Super Junior - BHOTWG Luchadore - Any of the Mexican companies Note that there are certain workers almost always change styles during the early months of the game, so what they may be classified as in the beginning of the game may not actually be what their stats might reflect, which I think may be causing some of your confusion.

[QUOTE=Vladamire Dracos;402822]From the games perspective from what I've seen, Super Junior equals having their highest in-ring skills be Aerial, Flashiness, Mat Work, Chain Wrestling, and some Puro. Luchador equals having their highest in-ring skills be Aerial, Flashiness, and some Chain Wrestling. Cruiserweight equals having their highest in-ring skills being Aerial, Flashiness, and some Brawling.[/QUOTE] Close. In TEW terms (I think): Super Junior: Aerial, Flashiness, Mat, Chain Luchador: Aerial, Flashiness, Chain Cruiserweight: Aerial, Flashiness, Mat Adding Brawling to the above would skew them towards Regular Wrestler. If you pay attention to the workers who always seem to change styles at the beginning of every game (Cal Sanders, I'm lookin' at you), check their stats at the DB level then check their stats post-change. That'll tell you what threshold they crossed to "qualify" for the new style. I've noticed that Suzanne Brazzle often switches to Super Junior in the first year and Wanda Fish does as well (depending on her workrate). Usually, it seems to be because their flashiness increases sufficiently for them to qualify for Super Junior, given their other skills.

[QUOTE=AndyJP;404309]It just seems like it would have been redundant to include all three if they are that similar.[/QUOTE] their actual style of wrestling isn't that similiar in reality though Super Junior- Utilizes stiffer strikes, kicks and moves in addition to fast paced aerial and chain wrestling . Taijiri being a prime example Luchador- Emphasis on quick aerial moves with a lot of planchas, suicide dives and hurricanrana type moves . Psychosis would be an example of this style Cruiserweight- Typically smaller size or lighter wrestlers using speed and quickness but providing more chain wrestling and putting moves together more than the spot monkey who just uses flashy moves with no psychology behind them. Doesn't have to be just aerial moves as cruiserweights can be good technicians as well. Rey Misterio now would probably be classfied as a true cruiserweight.

[QUOTE=AndyJP;404309]It just seems like it would have been redundant to include all three if they are that similar.[/QUOTE] Just because they have similar skill sets doesn't mean their style is that similar. Throw two luchadores together and you'll get a very different match from throughing two super juniors in the ring together, even if their skills are similar.

Archived