Christian Faith........The real wrestler?

alden

Chikara June 14, 2008 "2008 Young Lion Cup - Night 2" - Hellertown, PA 1. Opening Introductions 2. Kyle Matthews vs. Lince Dorado 3. Ophidian vs. The Turtle 4. Worker Ant vs. Chip Day [B]5. Christian Faith vs. Tim Donst [/B]6. Shayne Hawke vs. Bobby Dempsey 7. Johnny Gargano vs. Marshe Rockett 8. Super Smash Bros. vs. Shane Storm & Mike Quackenbush 9. Order Of The Neo-Solar Temple vs. The Soul Touchaz 10. Winners of matches 2-7 Now i know Chikara is known for "commedy" and "over the top" gimmicks but has anyone seen this guy before? I mean, i know it is most likely not a "rip off" but still kind of funny.

His finisher looked pretty cool, but otherwise i was unimpressed. But, I'm not a fan of hardcore for the sake of hardcore, so without knowing the back story of the matches I don't feel qualified to make a judgment one way or the other. Also, I hate light tubes. It's not a judgment on him or his matches, i just don't like them in wrestling.

[QUOTE=scorpion;461051]His finisher looked pretty cool, but otherwise i was unimpressed. But, I'm not a fan of hardcore for the sake of hardcore, so without knowing the backstory of the matches I don't feel qualified to make a judgement on way or the other. Also, I hate light tubes. It's not a judgement on him or his matches, i just don't like them in wrestling.[/QUOTE] I thought he had a cool way of being subtly arrogant with the delivery of his moves. Plus he no-sold a lot, which I love. Must be a lot easier with a mask, thick shirt, and jeans... But that just displays a Norman Smiley-esque approach to the deathmatch, which I approve of.

[QUOTE=Mr T Jobs To Me;461052]I thought he had a cool way of being subtly arrogant with the delivery of his moves. Plus he no-sold a lot, which I love. Must be a lot easier with a mask, thick shirt, and jeans... But that just displays a Norman Smiley-esque approach to the deathmatch, which I approve of.[/QUOTE] When you put it that way, I agree. Like I said, without knowing his gimmick or the storyline behind his matches, its hard to make a judgment. For example, I didn't like the no-selling, but if that's his gimmick then it may change my opinion.

I myself don't like ultrahardcore matches to be honest. fmw, czw and old ecw had there place but i just moved beyond them i guess. If it is a big blow up feud ender with a ton of history then yah. But that much is a little much i think.

Since it was mostly hardcore, I can't say this was exactly my style either. But that said, I can see some potential here. For the kind of promotion I'd run, he'd have to be willing to job to some veterans for me so I could see what he's got beyond the hardcore stuff. But I probably would give the guy a look. There seems to be a mix of talent and personality that could be built on present here.

[QUOTE=scorpion;461051] Also, I hate light tubes. It's not a judgment on him or his matches, i just don't like them in wrestling.[/QUOTE] I agree, never been a fan of light tubes and never really been sure what they added to a match. They are probably more dangerous than they look (which is not dangerous at all) which to me is going against the whole philosophy of pro wrestling.

[QUOTE=BurningHamster;461457]I agree, never been a fan of light tubes and never really been sure what they added to a match. They are probably more dangerous than they look (which is not dangerous at all) which to me is going against the whole philosophy of pro wrestling.[/QUOTE] Having had one explode right above my head, I can tell you they are loud, and the glass could stick to you, but that's about it. That, and I'm sure the dust looks cool.

hardcore for the sake of hardcore is not my forte. I dont even follow CZW because I just find it more sick than entertaining. Being slit open in the arm or head for realzies with a pair of scissors makes me feel bad for the wrestler then anything for doing that for the chump change they get.

[QUOTE=scorpion;461496]Having had one explode right above my head, I can tell you they are loud, and the glass could stick to you, but that's about it. That, and I'm sure the dust looks cool.[/QUOTE] Personally I always thought the dust looked lame and never thought getting hit with something made of paper thin glass looked like it should hurt, but the chances of getting tiny pieces of glass everywhere in a match with about 100 light tubes had to be pretty high, especially if guys are getting slammed or taking bumps on it. Of course, I don't have a clue if it's like that in reality as you wouldn't get me to do it in a million years.

Archived